Applying for jobs on line

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Dheasley in Douglassville, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

I have submitted many, many resumes. Registered on many, many web sites. Registered and posted my resume and profile on many, many web sites similiar ti Indeed. I had my resume reviewed and proof read. I even had a so called professional rewrite my resume. I go on Linkedin and other networking sites. I attempt to go around the typical modern procedures of gaining employment. I research contacts, obtain phone numbers, ask family and friends. After all of this I have yet to receive any responce reguarding employment. While I realize the job market is tough today I am beginning to think all of this online, no personal contact world we live in actually makes it more difficult to find a job. I am convinced all the information just sits in a data bank, pacifiying corporate policy, and creating the illusion of offering jobs to the public when in fact we all know the best way to get a job is to know someone or have a relitive on the inside. I found it much easier 15 years ago just cruising the sunday help wanted section, drop a resume and cover letter in the mail box and follow up with an actual human being on the phone. Good luck trying to find a phone number to any HR contact these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Greg House in Atlanta, Georgia

34 months ago

I completely agree with you. Even at career fairs they tell you to apply online. My question is why did you bother to come then? They are basically making you beg for it. Experience and education does count for anything. I am going to graduate this winter from a really good school but it does not seem to carry any weight unfortunately. It is like the resumes are flushed down the drain by people who has no knowledge of the job itself. My advice is try your luck with companies like Raytheon. I was told by the recruiter that every resume is checked by an actual person rather than a computer program. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Thank you for the tip and good luck to you as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Lafayette, Indiana

34 months ago

Maybe I can give you some good advice because not too long ago, I was in your shoes. I did everything you are doing and couldn't find a job. It took me about a year to finally find a good, full-time job post-graduation. I tried everything you are doing as well. I got sick of applying to jobs on Indeed or other online sites. They are too impersonal and there is too much competition. I figured, companies usually hire people they know, how can I make a company feel like they know me? LinkedIn. Update your profile, make it nice and neat, add skills to boost your search results, keep adding your network, join groups that pertain to your field and interests, and follow companies you may like to work for. I also set job alerts everyday to be sent to my inbox. Once I began following companies in my field, I began to learn A LOT about what it takes to be a part of companies in my field. I applied to several jobs for this company I wanted to work for. A few weeks went by and I didn’t hear anything back. I found the HR rep on LinkedIn and was able to message her since she was part of my network. That put a face to my resume and she advised me to apply to a different job within their company. I did. I interviewed four times, then was offered the job! Competition is fierce in this job market. Build your network, research companies and trends in your field, and keep your chin up. It sounds like you are doing everything right and someone will snatch you up eventually. It just takes time. Good luck. Oh, and as I was working a part-time job, I also took an unpaid internship. It sucked for a while, but the unpaid internship definitely leveraged me in the competition!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Thank you for the advice. I have been out of the job market for 15 years. When I first started to search about a year ago I was lost. Although I have a college degree I ended up working in a trade union. I have always been good with tools and the pay and benfits are excellent but the construction industry dried up so fast I had no time to prepare myself and I never thought it would happen to me. Thank God I finished college many years ago - its a long story, anyway my computer skills deminished but I have managed to educate myself on modern job hunting procedures. I recently signed in to Linkedin and it has given me new ideas. I just need to fine tune my profile and teach myself how to use it to my advantage. It is fustrating because I have a lot of experience in my field and Im educated as well as having a great work ethic. I never had a problem finding or maintaing a job and I was over confident in my ability of obtaining one. Boy was I wrong. It took me months just to learn how to navigate all of the sites, rediscover writing techniques, operating word, down loading resumes ect. I am learning as I go and it is not real difficult but it is amazing. Thank you again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.