Yahoo News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Yahoo stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Private in Carlsbad, California

93 months ago

I can offer that I worked at Yahoo for 5 years and it was a great experience, although even though I always had 100% positive reviews and received multiple salary increases, I was ultimately layed off along with my entire profitable department. Even though my department made a lot of cash profit, unlike many departments at Yahoo, they had no problem at all laying everyone off. The best part about Yahoo is the great technology but the worst part is the bean-counting managers who don't value their employees. They may have needed to lay off a bunch of good people in order to save their bloated stock price, but it didn't help their company to lay off good people.. now Google dominates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wanting to work for Y! in Fontana, California

92 months ago

I applied for Y! Burbank for a Graphic Design position, but no reply :(
The job is still open for applicants. It's been open for 2mo. now. Low efficiency.
The same position was posted one year ago. I guess that person is not in that position any more only after only one year, which kind of troubles me. Bad boss? or Bad hire?

Then I found out 90% hires are referrals. I really hope that's just a rumor.
And after reading the comments here. I think i'm pretty much set on applying for Google.
Google doesn't have any open positions in southern California. I don't even think Google has an office in southern California. Must I suffer the cold in central California?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Boris in Studio City, California

91 months ago

wanting to work for Y! said: I applied for Y! Burbank for a Graphic Design position, but no reply :(
The job is still open for applicants. It's been open for 2mo. now. Low efficiency.
The same position was posted one year ago. I guess that person is not in that position any more only after only one year, which kind of troubles me. Bad boss? or Bad hire?
And after reading the comments here. I think i'm pretty much set on applying for Google.
Google doesn't have any open positions in southern California. I don't even think Google has an office in southern California. Must I suffer the cold in central California?!

Google has office in Santa Monica

Melony in San Jose, California

91 months ago

I've applied to yahoo numerous times over the past few years. Never got an interview. In the past 2 months I've been contacted for interviews because I happened to meet someone who knew a recruiter there. So the referral comment might be true

wanting to work for Y! said: I applied for Y! Burbank for a Graphic Design position, but no reply :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Working for Yahoo! in Mountain View, California

91 months ago

I do work for Yahoo. The funniest thing is that I applied for my current role and never got a response. Nothing for 2 months. Then I met a random person at a random party who worked for Yahoo and she sent my resume in. Two weeks later I was being interviewed and my hiring manager also said that they had been trying to fill my position for 3 months without much success. Hellooo...

On the plus side, once my initial interview was set up everything was smooth sailing. I was applying from the east coast for a position in Nor Cal and so the timings, travel arrangments etc were done efficiently with minimal fuss. There were no weeks of waiting around for a decision. The hiring manager kept me in the loop throughout and I did not even think twice before accepting the offer.

It helped that my salary here at Yahoo was a 40% jump over my previous job; again I was honest about my past salary etc and though I did start off at the lower end of the scale, it was still a big jump. Working here is great btw, at least I can say that for my team and my colleagues. Its been over 15 months and so far, touch wood, it is pretty decent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Cincinnati, Ohio

91 months ago

Working for Yahoo! said: I do work for Yahoo. The funniest thing is that I applied for my current role and never got a response. Nothing for 2 months. Then I met a random person at a random party who worked for Yahoo and she sent my resume in. Two weeks later I was being interviewed and my hiring manager also said that they had been trying to fill my position for 3 months without much success. Hellooo...
On the plus side, once my initial interview was set up everything was smooth sailing. I was applying from the east coast for a position in Nor Cal and so the timings, travel arrangments etc were done efficiently with minimal fuss. There were no weeks of waiting around for a decision. The hiring manager kept me in the loop throughout and I did not even think twice before accepting the offer.
It helped that my salary here at Yahoo was a 40% jump over my previous job; again I was honest about my past salary etc and though I did start off at the lower end of the scale, it was still a big jump. Working here is great btw, at least I can say that for my team and my colleagues. Its been over 15 months and so far, touch wood, it is pretty decent.

I can explain the 40% jump because you're moving from the east coast to the west coast. Entirely different market field. But I'm glad to hear you like it there! After being rejected at Google, I'm applying for Yahoo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CTW in Palo Alto, California

75 months ago

I believe that Yahoo is still a surviving company. It has been always profitable, even during the bubble bursts. The problem is that they have too many middle maanagemetns, and the infrastructure for innovations is not there. They still have some strengths in news and other services, and they're actually hiring new people as well. I believe a lot of peripheral groups would be laid off, but the core groups will do pretty well. That's the impression I got.

Saw A review of Yahoo here:
www.ledova.com/review.php?rid=2&cid=357

hope it helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gareth in Louisiana

74 months ago

See, that's the strange thing about these apparently great companies. How do you attract to talent if you don't give everyone who applies a chance? Only taking referrals vastly restricts the pool of available talent. The next great Yahoo! talent could be out there applying several times without any response....what to do. They must remedy that.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.