What's the company culture at Yellowpages.com?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 113)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Yellowpages.com?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Yellowpages.com?

Reply - Report abuse

Sagitta Tellsthetruth in Las Vegas, Nevada

84 months ago

Very nice co-workers. Always willing to help. SOme are totally immature "monkeys" used to working in a bad environment. I have had things knocked off my cube by a flying football and people sitting at my desk talking while I am trying to call a Marketing Director. I called my cell phone and left fake messages to see what other people hear on the phone. It sounded like I was in a bar! How is that supposed to make me sound like a professional??
THE TRUTH ABOUT JOBS AT YELLOWPAGES.COM INTERNET SALES AND INTERNET MARKETING HENDERSON, NV

If anyone is seeking a job in internet marketing or internet sales, you may have come across jobs at Yellowpages.com. Yellowpages.com is a reputable company with some decent people to work with . Howver, don't be fooled if you are hearing promises of an average salary of $75K a year. The top couple reps in the company can make that much. The truth is, most reps are really doing the job of a telemarketer. If you do not "pound the phones" and sell hard, you will not make it. Most people there are struggling just to make $40K a year.

If the managers tell you that you are not bound by rules and you can "sell to anyone" you are again being fooled. There are territories, you cannot sell to ad agencies, and if you are in Henderson, NV you cannot sell to Nevada or California (among many other states).

In this position, you have to be a stellar sales person and enjoy being on the phone all day long. You should be making at least 500 calls a day to make a decent living. The reps that make good money work their tales off and have been there for over a year.

If you are considering a job at Yellowpages.com DO NOT give up anything great that you already have. They hire every couple of months due to a high turnover and LAYOFFS. They also do not provide you with supplies. I'm serious! You get a computer, a desk and phone, stapler, and a pen and notepad.

They DO NOT have a coaching plan like they promise. I am an example. They decided

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sagitta Tellsthetruth in Las Vegas, Nevada

84 months ago

They DO NOT have a coaching plan like they promise. I am an example. They decided to due a massive layoff in December 2007 and gave me one day to sell over a month's worth of ads or I would be fired. Even the top rep told me it was next to impossible. They conveniently fired me before my three motnh anniversary. Just two months on the floor after training. So much for a company that is different, and "cares" about their employees. You have been warned!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

The truth hurts in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

Corporate Culture is management by intimidation. Suits at all times. If you don't like it leave. Make your numbers or you're fired. Unless we like you. Then you can stay on no matter what. We'll even make your numbers for you.
12 hour days - at least. If you have a family or a life...don't apply here. You won't see them.
Again, you have been warned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

The Foundation in Las Vegas, Nevada

83 months ago

Sounds like "the sun is shining & the birds are chirping" at YellowPages.com...

They have a great product, a few good managers & poor leadership. While they may hire the best & the brightest, it doesn't mean they are provided with the necessary tools/development to allow them to be. They have a tendency to reward those who maintain the status quo rather those who take a reasonable risk.

EXAMPLE #1: I was a Manager at YPC from 02-06. I started with 4 guys in a room using outdated print YP books as a lead base, a notepad for an insertion order, putting for beer through the offices with the CEO. We all had the vision & belief that we wanted to be a part of building something great, and it was until SBC/BellSouth (the new at&t) came in with there corporate culture of "conform or quit" (per Mark Moore) & within weeks an energetic, family-oriented floor of trained mercanaries on the phone were slowly being bled out by the "this is the way we did it at BellSouth, it's our way or the highway " mentality.

Vets on my team like James Susuico, Ty Mumford & Todd Poires were having $100,000 a year accounts being stripped from them & handed to a newly promoted Nat'l Sales Rep who was set to be terminated before his promotion because of poor production. But because he brought in cigars, wine & basketball tickets the new leadership team saw tremendous value in promoting him.

EXAMPLE #2: In 2006 a top producing rep who had a little bit of a gambling problem tried to pass off a counterfiet $100 bill & got called out on it. Rather than immediatley repoting the incident to his superiors or HR, the manager tried to cover it up & protect his top producing rep & roomate. In most corporate enviroments an employee who tried to cover up a felony that happened on company property during company hours would be fired. Because of his relationship with the Director of Sales, he was demoted vs fired. He was on my team was caught as a rep misreprenting & nothing happened?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

The Foundation in Las Vegas, Nevada

83 months ago

...they promoted that rep back to management. If that's the enviroment you're looking for, then best of luck. If not, I hear YP.Com (not YellowPages.com) is hiring!!!

Save asses & kiss asses need not apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ben Santoli in Las Vegas, Nevada

83 months ago

In 2003 I was hired as the Director of the Retail Sales Group. We grew from 125k per month in 03 to just short of 2mm per month in 11/05 when we where purchased. When I started we had an increadible entrepreneurial spirit. Everybody cared and everbody matered. I had the opportunity to speak at the Tommy Hopkins Boot camp one year. I followed Zig Zigler that year and he said one of the most profound things I have ever heard. He said "The world is full of the learning and the learned. The learning are prepard for a world that is always changing and the learned are prepared for a world that no longer exists." I am afraid from that they may have become learned in the fastest changing world that exists, the virtual one. I think Charles is a great man but the culture that exists may be a bit disfunctional. I witnesed and can confirm what "the foundation" says above.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

THE TRUTH SET ME FREE in Las Vegas, Nevada

83 months ago

Corporate Culture at yellowpages.com is highlighted by Nepotism and the Gold Old Boy System! The truth that set me free was the fact that I was never gonna make management! It was explained to me by my former manager: "Look Man, you Don't Drink, you Don't Gamble and you Don't Lie, YOUR NOT CUT OUT FOR MANAGEMENT AT YELLOWPAGES.COM" This credible career advice from a man who was able to leapfrog dozens of middle managers and jumped at least 50 rungs up the corporate ladder. A Huge Thank You to my former manager! With an even larger Thanks to Indeed for allowing me to help spread to Good Word!

A typical day in the life of an employee at Yellowpages.com is akin to Waterboarding!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bob Bratton in Las Vegas, Nevada

83 months ago

I was there, virtually at the beginning. We were bonded to one another, believed in one another, and helped one another. Then "they" came. I realize things change and accept the fact that things are ever changing. My only regret is that I didn't react as soon as I should have, as it did not take a genius to see the writing on the wall, restricted markets to call, loss of my existing customer base, commission dollars to me constantly screwed up and a local higher management which validates that the "Peter Principle" is alive and well.
Peter Principle states, "incompetence will rise to its highest level in a corporate environment".

This local management does want to hire sentient life, meaning those of us who have the power of perception by our senses/ a consciousness. They are looking for humans with the traits of the "Borg" and react defensively, with lies, subtrefuge, and authoritative power plays, for anyone under their "supervision" who may question them. Simply stated, they will tell you don't worry we'll take care of it. We know it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck but "it" is really a zebra, Bob. These guys think you are so dumb they won't even meet you half way and try to get you to buy into the fact that it is a striped duck.

Thank God I walked out of there and left four and a half years(two and a half of those years were great)behind.

Speaking of God; God help these guys should an AT&T audit team really check out what is going on- from no details on chargebacks, to no detail on commissions paid,to overall poor management of people, in my opinion, by local higher management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jamin Loveless in Henderson, Nevada

83 months ago

That's my real name - so ya'll know me and know who's posting this. I'm fine with the backlash - it's what negative people do anyway.

I find it truly sad that a group of disgruntled and/or upset employees can so besmirch a companies reputation in a forum like this, without any real way for the outside reader to guage the validity of these posts against other information. So I'll try to offer a small counterpoint here.

The AVERAGE first year income is, in fact, 75k/year. As in most sales environments, the top 20% skew the overall number higher - there are reps that made well over 100k their first year, some close to 200 - that raises the average. I made 45k my first year. Had I worked smarter, I would have made more. I will make 100k this year. Once your base is built up, it comes a lot easier.

The comments about management are asinine. There are myriad different personalities on the sales floor, and many different managers. Personality and sales style conflicts will arise. A true sales professional gets past that. The "old timers"

AT&T corporate culture brings big changes. Being bitter about accounts lost to territory changes serves no purpose. You wrote the business once, write it again. Get over it. I'd be upset too if I had a 6 figure book of business taken from me. Funny, how some of the old time reps got past that and continue to produce, while others either quit or continue to let this affect them more than 2 years later.

The "party" noise and atmosphere referred to above (re the voicemail) happens on certain days, and on certain teams. The VAST majority of the time, the floor is reletively quiet and professional. The overall envireonment is far better than 90% of the sales jobs I've held over the years. There are office politics, there are frustrating situations that arise. Ever worked somewhere where that wasn't the case? Be honest, lol - looking back at :wow that place was great", chances are you left for a reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Last post got cut short..?

So - overall, for the newcommer or person researching the possibility of working here:

Expect to make 40-50k your first year if you're a staus quo worker. If you have a really solid work ethic and work smart and hard, 100k is far from out of the question. The "500 calls a day" comment is waay off. There are a few people who operate that way, some of us prospect instead - it's up to you how you sell. Some fo the reps that made 100k first year aren't even really good at sales, they just worked harder than some who are. Honestly, I sat on my thumbs and didn't work very hard for almost 6 months. I could have made almost double what I did my first year if I'd put forth more effort, and so could those posting above!

Very good benifits package starts 1st day of the month following employment. Medical, dental, & everything else. Plus 7 paid holidays and 19 days of paid time off accrued in your first year? Seriosuly - that's hard to beat.

If you work hard and stay positive, you're mostly immune to the management politics people are complaining about. I'm not part of "that crowd" that some refferred to; honestly, it's not like they say it is anyway. Even if it were, my job is secure - I do my job and make my quotas. Same as any other sales job, folks!

The "high turnover" and "layoffs" they refer to relate to people being let go who do not make their numbers, and usually for a few months in a row. Exceptions exist on both sides - if you show promise but are a little off, they'll work with you. If you're comming up short and don't seem to care, they don't want you on the floor any more than any other sales organization would.

Overall a very positive place to work, with good benifits and above average pay. The product works, and if you're a true sales professional who appreciates a solid opportunity with a growing company, this is a great place to be!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I do believe that many of the statements that Mr. Loveless makes are great (we all need to be empowered) save one thing. If you are promised that you will get your renewals back to work then that is major part of your compensation and motivation to work. If those are taken away from you then they are taking that much of your promised compensation. As I recall renewals accounted for about 30% of the agents compensation. I understand that as a newer rep you probably do not have that many renewals, so to put it into perspective how would you feel if they cut your salary and commisions 30% retro activly to your first day because that is the effect it has on the veteran reps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

The Martyr in Anywhere, Nevada

83 months ago

The Foundation in Las Vegas, Nevada said: ...they promoted that rep back to management. If that's the enviroment you're looking for, then best of luck. If not, I hear YP.Com (not YellowPages.com) is hiring!!!

Save asses & kiss asses need not apply.

Didn't YP.com hire the person who passed the counterfeit $100 bill?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Plop-plop-fizz-fizz in Las Vegas, Nevada

83 months ago

WOW- it looks like most of you have been hurt in the past. Lick your wounds and be a Man/Woman! Life is not fair and if you are waiting for fairness move to France (they will hate you as well)!

Change is a bitch and it's unfortunate that most of these posts are from former disgruntled employees that are not allow to play their little games that flew when they were previously employed. YPC was a joke prior to the acquisition. The "leadership" staff at that time folded like a deck of cards and would not even try to create a new environment, instead the majority fought the inevitable changes and now they have gone to YP.com (not the real YELLOWPAGES.com). So keep up with the questionable marketing tactics and keep scraping our left-over’s, because YP.com will never reach the level of success and talent that YPC is and has (with no thanks to the baby's in this post). I hope life treats you "fair", wait for it...who knows it might happen.

Now, if you are looking for a place to make excuses and stumble through life, YP.com is hiring. Have fun sleeping at night. YELLOWPAGES.com is a place for people to step up to the plate and take ownership in their own skills and make it happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Plop-plop-fizz-fizz in Las Vegas, Nevada said: WOW- it looks like most of you have been hurt in the past. Lick your wounds and be a Man/Woman! Life is not fair and if you are waiting for fairness move to France (they will hate you as well)!

Change is a bitch and it's unfortunate that most of these posts are from former disgruntled employees that are not allow to play their little games that flew when they were previously employed. YPC was a joke prior to the acquisition. The "leadership" staff at that time folded like a deck of cards and would not even try to create a new environment, instead the majority fought the inevitable changes and now they have gone to YP.com (not the real YELLOWPAGES.com). So keep up with the questionable marketing tactics and keep scraping our left-over’s, because YP.com will never reach the level of success and talent that YPC is and has (with no thanks to the baby's in this post). I hope life treats you "fair", wait for it...who knows it might happen.

Now, if you are looking for a place to make excuses and stumble through life, YP.com is hiring. Have fun sleeping at night. YELLOWPAGES.com is a place for people to step up to the plate and take ownership in their own skills and make it happen.

LOL. You sound like a regular Zig Zigler. My last month in charge we booked 2mil with 60 reps. I was asked to stay. I left because I was told that the geographic changes where eventualy going to leave us seven small states. That is happening now. I have a great deal of respect for the team that came in to replace me. Neil, Travis (both of whom left shortly after I did) and Mark. They had me stay on for six months to try to create a stable environment. Dane, Jonno and the rest where not asked to stay on so I do not know what you mean by "folded like a house of cards" If you think that Dane folded then you most certainly have never met him. I believe that you refer to success at ypc. See below.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

My last month in charge we averaged 30k booked per rep. My understanding is that it now under 10k. That is some success. I have only posted here because many people I know and love still work there and I care about them. I have no ill will towards ATT or anyone that works there. I have only met Scott one time and he seems like a very nice man. You however seem venomous in you ad homonym attacks. Who are you so mad at and why?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MyLV in Las Vegas, Nevada

83 months ago

Since the original question was what the culture is like at Yellowpages.com and not the difference between how it was and how it is now I would like to comment.Obviously, Yellowpages.com would not be around today if not for the people who helped successfully build it and it would not be as successful today if not for the people that are there now. There was some rocky times when AT&T came in and there was a lot of changes going on. Did some reps lose accounts? yes.Did some reps and managers leave? yes. Is Yellowpages.com perfect? What company is? Yellowpages.com is a young company that is growing and is ever changing for the better. Unfortunately with change comes disappoint for some. I know of each of the people who have commented here -even though some have disguised their names - and each person brought something to Yellowpages.com and at one point thought they would never leave or be asked to leave.It is unfortunate that you don't get to see the good changes.
Yellowpages.com's culture is one of family, integrity and commitment. We are all working together to build a better company for the future.We offer a competitive salary and commissions and it truly is a great company to work for. Are you required to hit your numbers? yes.Do you receiving coaching? yes. If you don't apply what coaching you are receiving and still don't hit your numbers then why would any company keep you? I am sure those that work at other companies now would agree. I am also sure that people that worked for Yellowpages.com before the AT&T/Bellsouth merger would agree that some employees would say they had issues with how it was run.Selling advertising isn't easy!To all who worked there before - good luck in your future endeavours and I wish you success and hope they no other job you take has expectations or a job description that you can't live up to. All I can say is come and take a look for yourself.Talk to current employees, they are very forthright with the good and the challenges

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Rob Sheiner in Henderson, Nevada

82 months ago

You're absolutely right Gregg... I AM THE FOUNDATION. About time you told the truth about something. If only you were the same with the people who work under you... See ya soon brother love!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TWIN TOWER_not barry 30k in Kansas City, Kansas

82 months ago

I was there, I helped build it to what it was. I do not like what it has become, but it happens. KEEP THE FAITH, FOUNDATION

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Arock in Las Vegas, Nevada

82 months ago

I was there as well… WE accomplished what no one thought possible. So when I see people talking smack about my brothers that built Yellowpages.com it just makes me laugh.

At one point I was going to go back that was until I spoke with one of the new SBC managers, that I felt had no clue or desire in what it truly meant to be a manager. So I knew then it was a place that was a revolving door with a sink or swim mentality. In no way was I going to be apart of a company that did not realize they were tearing down the very FOUNDATION that made Yellowpages.com great., To replace it with people that had no clue on what it takes in building a true sales force in Las Vegas.

Deep, cold water, no one around to toss you a life ring. Sounded like a the job for people at Yellowpages.com

It’s not a business strategy companies brag about – tossing new or recently promoted employees into the maelstrom and hoping they don’t go under.

But the Darwinian “sink or swim” strategy is part of life at work. And figuring out why your company uses it gives you a good window into its values.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

AROCK - DA MAN!!!

Good to see ya bro, people that talk smack don't understand what was accomplished and then subsequently destroyed by petty power plays and mickey mouse corporate politics. KEEP SWINGIN SHIENERBACH, don't let em get ya down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

You know they can never keep any of us down, especially AROCK!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Typing on a Blackberry excuse the typos

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Wasn't this thread about what it's like to work at yellowpages.com LLC?

I'm sure prospective employees will appreciate the banter between people who don't even work there anymore, haven't been around for the changes of the last 12 to 18 months and therefor have absolutely no real knowledge of what it's like now. They'll REALLY love sifting through countless pointless posts from people who are now using this thread to talk each other up for no real reason. I think that such prospective employees might find actual commentary about the actual workplace at the actual company that they're considering much more useful. How's about's ya'll take this other stuff elsewhere?

:rolleyes:

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Jamin -

It's clear from your posts and profile, that you aren't smart enough to leave a ship that is sinking. You want to drown, be my guest; you want to be a flunky, again, be my guest. However, don't mouth off about things you weren't around to experience. Bottom line, the company is not what it once was. Is it a good job? Sure, if you are willing to work for low pay, low rewards, and to make sure that you don't want to get anywhere, it's a great place, for people like you. For critical thinkers, and high achievers, and people that want to get ahead; don't bother. That review more useful?

Twin Tower

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Hmmm... 500% increase in revenue in one year (06 to 07), 800% increase in employee count, 150% increase in site traffic, subsidiary of a Fortune 10 company, expanding product portfolio... Shall I go on? You have an interesting idea of what constitutes a sinking company, LMAO. I assure you, my critical thinking skills are well above average to say the least. I'm a published auther who' worked with a Pulitzer winner, I have several patents pending in my name, and other things working. I have a day job t a great company with LOT'S of room for advancement and plenty of income potential. I am not nor will I ever be a flunky. You chose to follow short term profit at the expense of ethics - that's your call. Glad it's working for you. You haven't been here for quite some time, and aren't familiar with the current atmosphere and work environment. In the context and content of this thread - and in many other aspects of life I'm sure - you are irrelevant. Move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Jamin -

Let's make sure we are on the same page, by the way, did your award as an "auther" come from a crackerjack box? The search numbers, traffic increase, employee count, have nothing to do with organic growth, but the fact that yellowpages.com was acquired and those numbers were merged with existing properties. Oh yes, increased search numbers did come from the advertising campaign (that was done very well, seriously).If you understood business, and it's clear you don't; you would know that anything can be bought. Microsoft needs to compete with Google, what do they do? Purchase Yahoo, they need the network and the domain. Send me an address, I'll draw it in crayon so you can understand it. This back and forth is fun, I doubt you are up to the task.

I have already spoken to the environment at yellowpages.com, you are correct, I do not need to add anything. However, messing with a flunky like you, has provided a great diversion.

I might or might not reply to your next comment, you are starting to bore me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Irrelevant comment #1 - I never said I won an award as an auther, I said I am a published author. I worked with a (now deceased) Pulitzer Prize winner, who approached ME about writing a book, not the other way around. If you think Pulitzers come from a Crackerjack Box... Well, that makes your implication that I'M the one that's stupid that much funnier.

Irrelevant comment #2 - Claiming that our traffic growth is entirely from merged traffic. Back that up, please. If you can't, I understand - you don't have the resources for one, and you're also wrong, lol. Did a lot fo it come that way? Yup. What's wrong with that? But trafic continues to increase, as documented by dozens of third party sources. Employee count? Um - no. We've opened over 20 premise offices around the country, independant of other AT&T sections - they are Yellowpages.com LLC employees. So... You're wrong again. Slamming my business knowledge when you know nothing about me at all just makes you look dumb, by all means keep it up, lol. It's typical of the web, specifically typical of people who can't hang "IRL" or back comments with factual info.

Irrelevant comment #3 - That you've already commented on our environment. I have already pointed out that you're POV is outdated and innaccurate. Please stop making me repeat myself - talk about boring. I prefer to debate with people who know how. You don't. You may or may not reply from here out - I know I won't because I know that your follow up will lack any substance making further replies necessary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

yellowpages.com is #1 in Las Vegas, Nevada

82 months ago

Jamin Loveless in Henderson, Nevada said: Irrelevant comment

jamin-

nice to see you are a team player by backing the company.
i am a district Sales Manager and have been here since the beginning. Yes I was here with Rob, Ben, Sam, Ty, Todd and the rest. The bottom line is any of you can badmouth us as much as you want.....i love to be hated and the topic of conversation. most people that left or got fired because they could not hack it, would not conform to the new regime, or got better offers.
i have nothing but good things to say about yellowpages.com.........ALL THE REST OF YOU ARE JUST HATERS!!!
Go get a real job and quit worrying about what we are doing.....although you will be reading about us!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

I do not know what it is like at Yellowpages.com now, all I know is what I have heard from other people. With that being said I have sent alot of people yellowpages.com's way including my life long friend and brother. My only problem is with the feedback that I was getting, it is not good. Maybe it is changing...that is the some of the news that I have heard lately. I still love Yellowpages.com and wish everyone with the company nothing but success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

sorry those are reversed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

And He said I was the only innocent client he ever had.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Seatown in Washington

79 months ago

I'm currently interviewing for the Premise Sales position in Seattle. I've been told by the recruiter that income of $150,000+ is realistic and that the average rep makes $135,700. I understand that upper 6 figure income wont come easy and will require great work ethic and sales ability (Of which I have both). Is this income truly realistic? If so, how long does it take to build your pipeline of business and make that kind of money? If this income isn't realistic, what income would be? The base is $50,000 and the company provides a car allowance so it sounds like the truly have a rewarding opporunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John Stewart in Beaverton, Oregon

79 months ago

Working at Yellowpages.com was a nightmare. Don't buy the 150k average starting salary. Yes, the base is 50K, that is the only true part. After they tax the car allowance, it is only $100 per month. They told me turnover was only 3%; it was exactly 95% in my office. Another truth, you will work 12 hour days, 70 hours/week and be lucky to make 80k. Why such long hours? You will be required to service accounts of the reps that left. These are usually irrate customers who were lied to by the sales rep. who expects to earn 150k. I left after 3 months, they never reimbursed any of us for our expenses incurred out of town for a 2 week training, and only paid out 1/2 of the commissions owed. Also, Yellowpages.com has more outstanding lawsuits from former employees than all of AT&T. Good luck dude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

More bitter half-truths from disgruntled former employees. Anyone wanting more info on the working environment at Yellowpages.com - either phone or premise - need only call or stop by the office in question and talk to people working there. Stories like this aren't generally what you'll hear.

Yes; many premise reps work long hours. That's often what it takes to close a deal. That's sales.

Please qualify your statement about lawsuits. I'm sure we'd all love to hear about it.

There are MANY reps making six figures, in both premise AND phone. If you were busting your hump for $80k, you weren't a top performer. Not a personal attack, a statement of fact. I hold that your 90 day survical there is indicative that I am correct in my deduction. Succesful people don't quit/get fired after 90 days. :shrug:

If you didn't get 1/2 the commissions owed, either you have more coming (they explained that accounts over a certain dollar amount are paid in 2 installments 90 days apart, yes? They WILL pay you the rest on time, even if you've been gone 90 days), or you had chargebacks equaling a large percentage of your earned commision (also happens, especially common with sales people who don't last 3 months...), or both. Guaranteed they didn't actually or intentionally short your pay.

Car allowance is low after taxes? And taxes are yellowpages.com's problem HOW - did they set the tax rate of such things in your state? :rolleyes:

95% turnover in your office? That office must lead the nation, lol. 3% is not ralistic under the best of circumstances - but 95%? Were ya'll just not selling, or was there an Ebola breakout in the office? LOL

Folks - this is sales. The top earners make most of the money - same as any other sales organization. That skewes the average higher. That's called math. ANYONE CAN MAKE THAT MONEY WITH THIS COMPANY. You work harder or smarter. That's sales, and this place is better than most for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

YellowpagesEmp in Oregon

79 months ago

Jamin – I see no bitter half truths but possibly the truths you refuse to see. I have been following these posts for sometime now and can see that not every employee at Yellowpages.com is as blind as you are to the cult mentality; not a personal attack, a statement of fact.

Another statement of fact; lawsuits are a matter of public record, if you are smart as you think you are then you should be able to do a bit of research and find out exactly what John Stewart is referring to :shrug:

“Succesful people don't quit/get fired after 90 days” (spell-check might help you here buddy!) I have to say I disagree with you here. From what you have written over the past months I can see you work hard and I sincerely hope you are happy. Some people need a little more guidance weather it is in people skills or selling skills or even computer skills; is help always there for them when they need it? Don’t they deserve a chance with the expected support? 2 weeks of product training does not help you sell if you don’t know the applications and have no help when you need it. But let’s try looking at it from a different prospective, 12 hours a day for sales or any type of employment leaves little to no time for family, relaxation, or fun, which can lead rather quickly to total burnout.

“95% turnover in your office? That office must lead the nation, lol. 3% is not ralistic under the best of circumstances - but 95%? Were ya'll just not selling, or was there an Ebola breakout in the office? LOL” (man do you know how to use spell-check?):eyeroll: You are not there buddy you can only see what happens around you if you are not blind to it, again not a personal attack, a statement of fact. Most people fail to see what is right in front of them until it’s too late. I see the turnover all the time. Basically you have two options work 12 plus hours a day (including most weekends) this will keep you off the radar screen or be a kiss up which they love.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

YellowpagesEmp in Oregon

79 months ago

Jamin - You seem like you are a pretty smart guy and don’t mind working hard but you can work too hard. Try to step back and leave the emotions behind you, try to look objectively around you and see what is happening on a daily basis. Talk to your coworkers not at them and truly listen objectively to what they are saying is there truth in what they are saying? Can you see and feel what happens sound you?

Yes folks, this is sales – there is huge potential and opportunity here, but think it through. In this business there are a lot of shady sales people if they don’t get caught they move to management; just because they have a title doesn’t mean they are always right or know what is right. On the other side just because they have a title doesn’t mean they are wrong or shady. The only advice I can give to anyone looking to join Yellowpages.com do you research and keep your options open.

79 months ago

Firstly - there's a difference between needing spellcheck and just typing fast. For instance - 'whether' is very different from 'weather', Mr. Pot. I don't don't know 'weather' the support you recieved was sub-standard, but in most offices it's top-notch by all accounts. -Kettle

Secondly - You reply to me as though I'm naive or blind or both. Yet you worked for the company for 90 days; I've been here almost 2 years. I am neither naive nor blind; I see the BS that goes on. I assure you there's less of it here than anywhere else I've worked in sales in the last 15+ years. I fail to see how anyone can read these posts for a few months and work for the company for a few months and then comment towards me and the about the company as you have. I have been through more changes, have seen more growth, have known more people in more offices, and just plain have more experience with the company than you have. Looking back on what/who/etc I knew at 90 days - you've got some nerve, lol.

All of the negative posts here are from - *gasp* - FORMER employees. 'Nuff said. I don't see long-term employees posting that stuff. I don't see FORMER long-term employees posting that stuff. Just people who were A. - around before the buyout complaining about how corporate structure impeded on their lack of business ethics (or in their parlance, superior business acumen, LMAO), and B. - former employees from after the buyout who couldn't make the 6 month mark. Many multi-year vets have left in recent months to pursue various opportunities both within AT&T and outside the company. They stay in touch for the most part and don't talk trash like that. Those sticking around - when we have issues (and believe me, we do) we take them to our *very open and understanding* senior management, where both we and our issues are dealt with professionally and directly.

Prospective employees - contact CURRENT employees who've been around more than 6 months. Why wouldn't you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

JoeSmith1974 in Pennsylvania

78 months ago

I saw a posting about the District Sales Manager position in my area. There are a lot of angry x-employee posts and that is to be expected at any company. What are the average hours worked and is it really the pressure cooker that a lot of these x-employees make it out to be? What type of career development plan is there for the outside reps/management, etc... I am accustomed to working hard, and exceeding quotas, with a high level of honesty and ethics. I have a family, and don't know if 12-14 hour workdays as described by others are in the cards for me-- Feedback is appreciated....

78 months ago

That's a premise office - expect longer hours. I don't know that 12 to 14 hour days are the rule, lol, but I wou;dn't count on a 40 hour week from what I've seen and premise reps I know. If you have a client that wants to meet on Saturday at noon- well, it's your comission check, your call. Not too different thatn most sales jobs with a similar modus operendi.

Phone jobs - I don't believe is an option IN PA. 40 hour week, period. They all but kick you out the door, lol. I've never been able to exceed 42 hours in a week even if I wanted to. Then again - we dont' meet with clients face to face when it's convenient for them. :shrug:

Pressure cooker? Well - pressure, yes - it's sales. Cooker - only if you make drama. Plenty of employees come in, do their job, and leave - without all the crap. :shrug:

dwcheston

78 months ago

Hi, I just completed my first interview at yellowpages on wednesday and got a callback last monday saying that the district manager was very impressed and wanted to invite me back for a second interview, but he first had to schedule an appointment with the regional manager first. I called him last Thursday and he said he would call me yesterday afternoon to schedule an appointment because the regional manager was out of the office. Its the day after and I havent got a call. Does yellowpages sometimes take a while to get their ship in order or am I in the middle of a wild goose chase and wont get the job? its for a premise rep position.
Any information

KoolAid in Portland, Oregon

76 months ago

Im coming late to this discussion but for those who are looking at Yellowpages.com and are a bit confused, just know that Jamin in Nevada works for the inside sales part of the company which is directly tied to AT&T and has a union so it can't get away with the what the Premise sales is doing. The Premise sales is a whole other ball game and is managed by a whole other group of people who are only interested in the latest sale number. I worked there in Portland when it was new and it was a nightmare experience. Forcably cold calling the same people over and over again until the wee hours of the night. Literally we had to be in the office at 6:30 and usually did not leave until 10pm. They do have a base salary of 50K plus car allowance (which they do tax) The HR Department is offsite and you have little access to it. There was a time in the Portland office where we were threatened daily for our jobs. It was not uncommon to hear that we were replaceable or to have uppermanagement joke whenever we would ask a question they didn't have an answer to, "What, you don't wanna work here anymore?" They would joke about it but, you kinda knew it wasn't a joke. You can make a lot of money there but, believe me when I say that the aggressive way they exploded here in portland and the constant cold calling has left this town with an attitude against these people. They have an East coast attitude of "What do you care if they hang up on you or if youre rude to them, youll never run into them at all" (The managers are from places like Penn and New York where being rude is natural). This mix was and probably still is a receipe for disaster in the Pacific Northwest for the simple demorgraphics is; we are simply too small to try to run a company here with a bad reputation. The sales training is pretty interesting too, where they try very hard to teach you how to tell the half truths and show you the "right" way of selling, which consists of a puffed up ego and straight up lying.

KoolAid in Portland, Oregon

76 months ago

If you are a single parent or have any hobbies or other interest other than working - DO Not work at the Premise Sales Yellowpages.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

For the record, we in Henderson are not AT&T employees, we are Yellowpages.com LLC employees, and the union just came in literally weeks ago - we do not yet have a union contract. Also know that the premise offices of Yellowpages.com LLC have every option and opportunity to join this same union at any time. Just clarifying.

It is unfortuneate that you had that experience. I'm transferring to Premise in SLC and very much looking forward to it. I know many premise reps in other offices who love their jobs. If Portland was/is being run that way, somebody should mention it up the ladder.

Charlie Vecchio in Richmond, Virginia

75 months ago

I started working for YPC.com premise a little over 4 months ago. This job is not for everyone and is tough. My first comm check was 17,000 and my last was 22,000. The money is there if you work hard. Im married and play golf two times a week. I worked 40-50 hours a week. Any job that pays that much money will be tough. Also its a new company and great growth. I was just promoted to District Sales Manager. The job is great if you like competition and want to make lots of money. The people who are bashing ypc.com did not make there numbers. When you interview we do not hide anything. You have a quata and you need to make it. Does everyone make it???? No but for the many that do its a very rewarding job. Dont listen to people who failed. Go to the interview and make the decision for yourself

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tooth Fairy2 in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

Yeah and after I memorized the script all night I woke up in the hotel and under my pillow was $20,000 just from sleeping! This place is a churn & burn mill of sales people. Stay away, stay far away.

Charlie Vecchio in Richmond, Virginia

75 months ago

Tooth Fairy probably didn't make his numbers and was fired. Just like any sales job. You have a number to hit and if you don't you are held accountable. Like I said before, go to the interview and see for yourself

Daily Time in athens, Vermont

75 months ago

You will make lots of money (well over $100k) but you have to be a CLOSER. This is scripted sales very similiar to: Time Share sales, car sales, subprime mortgage, home improvement sales, frozen meat out of a truck, etc.. You must LOVE money. This is very little about product and a lot about selling and hustle. My numbers were horrible. I quit a couple of months ago. If you are a successful premise sales rep, you either 1) believe in this product and therefore believe you are doing your customers a great service or 2) you don't believe in this product and really don't care about your customers as long as you get paid baaabbyyy!!! And, I would say 95% fall into the number 2 category. It's all about the benjamins baaabbyy!! Who's next in Richmond?? Yeaahh, Charlie V lands another painting contractor. Hola. Sign me, Absolutely 100% Not a CLOSER.

Daily Time in athens, Vermont

75 months ago

Tooth Fairy2 in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania said: Yeah and after I memorized the script all night I woke up in the hotel and under my pillow was $20,000 just from sleeping! This place is a churn & burn mill of sales people. Stay away, stay far away.

How about those sales trainers? What a joke.

INTIMIDATOR in Idaho Falls, Idaho

75 months ago

Yes , the money is real. HOWEVER, any real sales person can make what you make at YP.com if you work those hours and do the dance. However, you better like having a whip behind you at all times. 24/7. 24/7. It is really not a great place to work. My advice, sell for a company with a great product, work on straight commission, work 70-80 hours a week and you'll make easily what you'll make at YP.com. Most people that work there NEED the base salary and the car allowance. If you are a droid and need to be given lots of direction , great place to work. I was never so happy as the day I quit that factory. Plus the products don't work, you'll have a load of unhappy clients very soon!

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.