What's the company culture at Youth Villages?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Youth Villages?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Youth Villages?

Reply - Report abuse

DO NOT WORK FOR YOUTH VILLAGES in Knoxville, Tennessee

42 months ago

DO NOT WORK FOR YOUTH VILLAGES!

The positive: the clients are wonderful! My reason for posting this is in hopes that the upper management of Youth Villages will see this, realize they need to make some changes, and crack down on those persons that are requiring counselors to commit ethical violations. If they don't, then perhaps another good job-seeker won't make the same mistake I did.

My experience is these guys care much more about making money than they do about their client's wellfare. Everyone is given a verbal and written warning, so that you can be fired at will. You will be required to do unethical and illegal things such as fudging your documentation to ensure Youth Villages looks good. If something that happened at a foster home needs to be called into CPS, the child is immediately made out to look like a liar and you will be told not to call in the report. If you speak out or ask too many questions, you will be fired. It's that simple. They will then lie to Unemployment.

These people have connections with other agencies, and if you have to go to another agency with a client, people from the two agencies will contact each other and talk about you behind your back. Ridiculous things from these communications may show up on a write-up. Very close to slander/libel.

The upper management apparently have no idea what is going on with the various departments with one upper manager being extremely dishonest. There is at least one person who works there who is not doing her job appropriately and will tell all sorts of lies (including blaming you) in order to not get in trouble. Everyone is kept afraid to stand up for what is right, and if you speak out, no one will support you...as they are all kept afraid of losing their jobs. This is sad, seeing as there are a lot of great employees who work very hard. You will be given more work than any one person can possibly do. The turnover rate is incredibly high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Used up in Lawrenceville, Georgia

40 months ago

I agree, I was worked to the bone and fired my first day back full time with a severe injury. Like stated above the supervisor lied to YV and to unemployment. I lost my home, my savings, and my reputation and dignity. The company has contradicted itself in emails and on the phone and I continue to look for work and try to live on nothing but what my grandmother can spare. Working for YV ruined me but those who are not management sacrifice their health, relationships, and safety to do right by the kids. Of course most of those people burn out or are fired but they try.

BTW they will fight to the ends of the earth to assure you do not get unemployment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Slave from yv in Knoxville, Tennessee

40 months ago

I am now living in poverty, am a single parent, and have outstanding student loans from my graduate degree. My reputation has been ruined as well. It was by the grace of God that I won my unemployment appeal hearing. I could definitely tell I was fired under very questionable circumstances. They write you up for something and then fire you weeks later for it when something comes up that they want to brush under the rug. I think they are going to need a lawsuit to straighten up. This isn't how a company should be run.

QUOTE who="Used up in Lawrenceville, Georgia"]I agroee, I was worked to the bone and fired my first day back full time with a severe injury. Like stated above the supervisor lied to YV and to unemployment. I lost my home, my savings, and my reputation and dignity. The company has contradicted itself in emails and on the phone and I continue to look for work and try to live on nothing but what my grandmother can spare. Working for YV ruined me but those who are not management sacrifice their health, relationships, and safety to do right by the kids. Of course most of those people burn out or are fired but they try.

BTW they will fight to the ends of the earth to assure you do not get unemployment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

SUPER in Decaturville, Tennessee

34 months ago

I worked for Youth Villages for several years. I liked my job when I went to work for them but over the years things changed. It wasn't for the good either for the residents,staff or the community. The staff were over worked,always asked to give a portion of paycheck to Youth Villages or buy Youth Villages tags for their cars and trucks.The kids don't have any structure at least at where I worked. There were several times the sewage in several of the cabins backed up for several months before getting fixed. If you didn't go with the flow you were not a team player. The youth at the where I worked would run off campus and do damage to property in the community. That could have been provented if Management would let us do our job.We were trained to put the residents in physical restraints if need be.Cases include Physical aggression,extreme property damage,or running away. Management wouldn't let us grab a touth by the wrist to prevent him from running because then you had to notify several people and then there was the paperwork.Let us not forget it made them look bad if the restraint count is high of the month.The only way to get any thing done is if the community gets mad then management lets us do our job the way we are trained.Youth Villages goal is to provide a safe enviroment for both youth and staff. That couldn't happen because upper management didn't care. Staff getting assualted on purpose daily and there was no consquences for the youth that assualted staff. How can the other youth feel safe if they see staff assualted and nothing being done about it. I quit after being assualted 3 days in a row after working there for over 4 years. I couldn't draw unemployment,I guess they exspect you to work in an unsafe enviroment. Yes I know to exspect to be hit,kicked,spit on etc. But even with that there should be a limit to the abuse exspecailly when its been documented over and over. They need to be investigated. Deer Valley Linden Tenn. is totally out of hand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.