so many reasons NOT to work for CVS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

james in Brookline, Massachusetts

110 months ago

I WAS a pharmacy manager for a boston store for 11 years.
The job: retail pharmacy- patients are sick so they're grumpy. always give them the benefit of the doubt because they're "always" right. after all your everyday hardwork, if you get 1 unhappy customer who actually files a complaint- whether its "too long a wait", "the co-pay was too much", "the item was not in-stock", "item was not ready as promised" or just simply "the staff is not friendly" - expect a sit down talk and action plan with your supervisor.
Oh, did I forget to mention that you are severely UNDERSTAFFED. Go figure out why. for that kind of work, not to mention being on your feet every minute, with hardly any time to go to the bathroom, dealing with long lines, not to mention 3 pharmacy calls all at once, you get paid anywhere from $8 to $10 as a new pharmacy technician, with annual maximum raise of 3% (0.30 cents)-if you're lucky.
The benefits package might sound appealing but if you take out the premiums you'd pay for the cheapest medical insurance- you barely have enough for coffee or gas money.
If you're smart enough- go figure why CVS is so desperate to hire pharmacists and pharmacy technicians- people are quitting. CVS is not expanding nor opening new stores, at least not in boston.
To the brave ones who still wants to give CVS a try- good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Tyler, Texas

110 months ago

james said: I WAS a pharmacy manager for a boston store for 11 years.
The job: retail pharmacy- patients are sick so they're grumpy. always give them the benefit of the doubt because they're "always" right. after all your everyday hardwork, if you get 1 unhappy customer who actually files a complaint- whether its "too long a wait", "the co-pay was too much", "the item was not in-stock", "item was not ready as promised" or just simply "the staff is not friendly" - expect a sit down talk and action plan with your supervisor.
Oh, did I forget to mention that you are severely UNDERSTAFFED. Go figure out why. for that kind of work, not to mention being on your feet every minute, with hardly any time to go to the bathroom, dealing with long lines, not to mention 3 pharmacy calls all at once, you get paid anywhere from $8 to $10 as a new pharmacy technician, with annual maximum raise of 3% (0.30 cents)-if you're lucky.
The benefits package might sound appealing but if you take out the premiums you'd pay for the cheapest medical insurance- you barely have enough for coffee or gas money.
If you're smart enough- go figure why CVS is so desperate to hire pharmacists and pharmacy technicians- people are quitting. CVS is not expanding nor opening new stores, at least not in boston.

CVS is a terrible place to work. Every week there was something wrong with my paycheck, (missing hours, different pay rate, etc.) and the supervisor refused to do anything about it. You ARE understaffed, they set up the shedule so that you will be sprinting for 13 hours with no lunch, no breaks, or no rest. CVS is more worried about protecting internal and external theft, than allowing the pharmacy to do their job. CVS gives to the customer at the expense of the employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Warwick, Rhode Island

105 months ago

james in Brookline, Massachusetts said: I WAS a pharmacy manager for a boston store for 11 years.

Hi,
I found your email very interesting. I am an IT Recruiter, in RI, and have been trying to help CVS fill one or any of their IS positions, but the only way to help is by emailing the company as a vendor. Do they want to fill these positions or not. It's frustrating for me when I see a need, am tring to help THEM out, but.........impossible to talk to a human being. As if anyone ever reads people's emails, resumes on line, yeah right. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ANN in Lake Worth, Florida

105 months ago

If you a hard worker don't go to work for CVS Pharmacy.
They will use you and abuse you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Don in Lake Worth, Florida

105 months ago

Cvs is the worst compamy I ever worked for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

usedandabused in Duluth, Georgia

89 months ago

CVS needs to be sued in Georgia!!! They use and abuse there Pharmacy Tech. Most techs don't get breaks and only if the pharmacy is not busy can we take our lunch. I've worked 10 hours with no lunch. Is there anything I can do and who do I report this too????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GabrielG in Chino Hils, California

89 months ago

usedandabused in Duluth, Georgia said: CVS needs to be sued in Georgia!!! They use and abuse there Pharmacy Tech. Most techs don't get breaks and only if the pharmacy is not busy can we take our lunch. I've worked 10 hours with no lunch. Is there anything I can do and who do I report this too????

Unfortunately in Georgia the labor laws don't provide any provisions for meal times or rest periods. I can't believe it myself. They can literally work you to the bone and its perfectly legal. Here is the link to the Georgia Dept of Labor laws. Look under Basic Wage Standards:
www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/hrg.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cassie in Wilmington, Massachusetts

58 months ago

How about this. I was hired as an overnight supervisor. Later I find out there's another guy who is being ransfered for the same position. Since he was working at CVS longer, and hired the same time I was, he would be made supervisor first. So after one night of training he becomes supervisor. So I'm all excited because they're telling me the next week I'll be made supervisor and more people can be trained so I'm no longer working 8 days in a row. So the next week comes...and nothing. Instead I'm being yelled at by my supervisor (the guy from above) that my facing isnt' good enough; I've gotta move faster and move things closer to the line. He also tells me its his word on how well I'm doing that will determine how I advance. So I work on it. I get faster, make all the labels face the right way, etc. Then I go on vacation for a week (pre-scheduled before I started working). I get back and there's this new guy who is also training for an overnight supervisor. By this time I know that basically anyone who works night is considered a "supervisor". But this guy is being trained everything that I'm not. All I've been trained with is facing and sale tags. He's being called in early to learn how to handle the money, learning all these things about promotions. I ask my supervisor what's going on, how come I'm not being taught all this and he tells me that he doesn't know, he's just doing what he's told. Apparently upper up is telling him to teach this new guy, who has only been working at CVS for a week and half all this stuff, yet not me anything. I've been there a month and I'm giving it another two weeks after I talk to my manager about this. Its ridiculous, I was hired first, but apparently CVS tends to forget they hired people....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

abused, overused in Farmington, Michigan

47 months ago

Well, since you are female, expect that and worse.
One of my supervisors once told me that CVS hires mostly women, which makes them "not" or "less" sexist.
I realized shortly after that the reason why is because they pay the men more than the women. Why would they hire a bunch of men?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fedup2014 in Alabama, Alabama

26 months ago

I've barely worked as a tech for a month and I'm already looking for a new job. It's demanding physically and I don't mind hard work at all. But if you can't be on your feet 8 hours (or more) a day this is not the job for you. I'm barely working 17 hours a week. Who can live that? No one. I'm fortunate to not have a family support. But I have bills just like everyone else. At this rate, I can't even afford to live in a one bedroom apartment. I can't even think about getting a new car. The note and insurance would be an entire paycheck. Frankly, CVS is just about making more money while the hard working employees are busting their butts for unlivable wages. Oh, I forgot about the "benefits". I could only afford the vision. You have a choice of hospital, vision, dental, and life insurance. It gets more expensive to add a dependent. If you get all of the benefits, it'll be over $100 a month. If I find a new job, I'll probably cut my losses and quit. Another thing, this store is new and competing with 7 other pharmacies in my cities. Funny thing is, there'a a publix with a pharmacy right across the street my store! The 3 other retail pharmacies are within a mile. If you really want to be a tech and have no prior experience, go to retail, get certified, and get out. Honestly, this is not the career for me but hat's off to those who love it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.