How to get a job at Siemens.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 127)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Siemens? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

KB

95 months ago

Why has this job been posted since Oct 22, 2006? I first saw it on their web site and online back in October. It's been on multiple job boards. Sure, they keep updating it, but it is OLD. It's very suspicious that they keep advertising for this same position when companies complain that they get hundreds and thousands of resumes for each ad they post. Even with this being a specialty field, they are bound to have gotten qualified applicants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

JPS Detroit in Clarkston, Michigan

95 months ago

BSEE Jay? wow, it is bad out there. I've easily sent 250 resumes to qualified positions in 9 months. One interview. And here I thought the BSEE and BSME were cruising into the Account Manager jobs that called for Engineering degrees. I'm thinking the majority of the jobs posted on the web are inside deals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JPS Detroit in Clarkston, Michigan

95 months ago

I understand that intranet postings automatically get broacasted out to the web. Companies have no idea how much energy we spend writing cover letters for "ghost" postings that that dont really exist. It is demoralizing and frustrating as today's job hunt has become a lottery of "hope my name gets drawn out of the applicant bin". Can we all stop wasting each others time and get to the meat and potatoes? Real jobs real people lets make a match

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Recruiter in Pleasanton, California

95 months ago

Are we discussing the Cost Accountant position here? Because those are very difficult to even be considered for, and they require an accounting degree, not engineering. They also usually require several years of hands-on cost accounting in a manufacturing environment. Without those elements employers won't even look twice at your resume for a Cost Accountant position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

KB

95 months ago

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't talking about cost accounting. I was talking about a job for which I met all of the education and experience requirements. With hundreds or thousands of people applying for one job, I don't waste my time applying for something if I don't have the qualifications. The job I applied for has been posted since October. In all fairness, Siemens isn't the only company that leaves jobs hanging out here for months at a time. I agree with JPS...real jobs! Companies shouldn't post outside just because their policies require them to if they have no intention on filling the job from outside. The policy really serves no purpose, frustrates those who are seriously looking for a job and creates negative feedback like some of comments in this discussion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Charlotte, North Carolina

95 months ago

Can someone, anyone help me with answers to these questions? If you have interviewed with a company and each time it went well but you never hear from the company, again. How long do you wait to contact any HR rep, after you have had an interview? Is it OK to contact the HR rep or hiring manager, say for example two or three weeks have past and the job is back out online. Or, do you just take that for your answer? One more thing, why are there so many jobs available but NO on is hiring?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

B in Melrose, Massachusetts

95 months ago

depends on the job but I wouldn't leave an interview without knowing if I had made the next round. Ask before you leave or before you get off the phone. Contact HR rep whithin a couple of days not weeks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GT in Palm Coast, Florida

95 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Siemens? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I just walked into the branch in Orlando and asked to talk to an Engineering recruiter in HR. Suprisingly a nice lady did make a few minutes to speak to me, actually looked at a hardcopy of my resume and hopefully I made a good image on her. No job open at the moment - but heck - I picked up her business card and drop her an email ever 2 weeks with a hello. I have to agree that the jobs with really top companies are kinda tough to get - so you have to just build a presence like this and your break will come.... If the company is close, I really like to show up and talk to them personally. It really does make a difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KP in Orlando in Winter Park, Florida

95 months ago

B said: Not sure what you guys are talking about. I sent in a resume yesteday and they called me today.

For what position? Also, did you submit your app and cover ltr on-line via their website? I could not upload mine (via website) so I used their built-in application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DFW in Alpharetta, Georgia

95 months ago

I know directly about a mgr pos in which the opening was after the person actually started, just a co. formality...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

GT in Orange City, Florida

95 months ago

I asked for sales or maintenance engineering. No, did not submit the resume package online - just handed a clean copy to them. Not many people get in from the outside - you usually need to have an inside contact, so this is an attempt to develop one from nothing.....

GT in Weogufka, Alabama

95 months ago

I applied for a job in Norcross, GA. A recruiter called me. They use an outside recruiter to screen people. So, basically you have clerks who aren't even familiar with your field determining whether or not you get presented to the hiring manager. Pretty scary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nida Dallas Texas

94 months ago

I applied Accountant II and they called me on phone for interview.
They will let me know in the next two weeks if I qualify for in person interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jayson in Arlington, Texas

94 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Siemens? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
I work there hon and let me tell you - its not easy. It took me three yrs and about 4 interviews to get in. They are big on interns right now. You might try the temp services and I know the use to use Volt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Allen, Texas

94 months ago

These jobs, like Triquint, Micron, Rockwell, and others have been posted since 2002. When the telecom collapsed in '02 I could remember the jobs to a tee, after losing out again, good to see their are "still looking".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Burger in Ambridge, Pennsylvania

94 months ago

I have had experiences where I applied for several positions at a few Pittsburgh area companies, even dropping off resume's in person. I later learned (from employees of the firms) that they gear up for big contracts by posting the jobs, may not get the contracts, and therefore do not hire. They go through this cycle continuously, posting the same jobs over and over.

The best part - I finally got the call from one that I would have been really excited about (I lived 5 minutes from the plant)... only after I moved 2 hours away!

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

94 months ago

I have had the same experience here in Cleveland, Ohio. I too have a BSEE and it is VERY RARE to get an interview.

So much I am now trying to figure out what career change make. Very sickening, all that college down the toilet.

Any young kid that asks me about college, I always tell them either go for yourself or if you know you'll have a job waiting through a relative or a friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

gt in Orange City, Florida

94 months ago

Jake - How long have you been looking for a position? I'm a Chem Eng myself and am suddenly in the market. Usually have not had trouble finding a position, but it does seem to be slower this time....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

94 months ago

Hi gt,

hold onto your seat! lol I've been laid off for five years. I ahve searched the usual big name boards for places all over the country. I can't believe ho many companies want all sorts of experience when they sy it is "entry level." But that's another discussion.

Anyway, it is slow here in Cleveland for me. My experience is that many places are very unwilling to take time out of their busy schedule to network. Then again, I am an outsider.

Hope things pick up soon. Sorry to hear it is also slow in Florida.

I think I am going to call a girl I knew from college. She kept finding EE jobs, but was always laid off. She switched and is now a nurse. I'm going to see how the jobs are around here. I know one thing, I am not going to start over and take more classes and then have no job prospects at graduation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Wow! 5 years out of field? You are facing a challenge to get started again.

What I am finding is this. The grade A type companies are tough to get into - Siemens, Caterpillar, BMW and the like. But there are a number of openings in the smaller operations like auto parts plants. Also location may well be out in the middle of nowhere where labor is plentiful and cheap. No reason to panic - just make a plan to go about finding something. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum - masters degree and lengthy experience. To many places I am overqualified so they pass on giving me a position....

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

94 months ago

gt,

Sorry to hear about you having a hard time too. I try big and small companies and I get the same cold shoulder.

I don't try those grade A places anymore. I be they have enough sons/daughters to fill alot of openings, some friends, minorities, etc.

Location is a big factor, Cleveland is not a high-tech area. I plan to move, not sure where. I hate to make a move out of state where I (think) I can get a job. It also seems like out of stte places are a little reluctant in calling me for an interview since I am so far away. I don't know what to think any more.

We have Ford down the road here in Avon Lake/Sheffield Lake but I couldn't even get anyone to return my calls. When you walk into their visitor room to talk to try and talk to someone you are greeted with some really rude people.

Do you think you'll have to move? I'll check out places when all these snow storms let up.

WS in Colorado Springs, Colorado

94 months ago

Four months without a full-time job and I'm looking hard also. I have to agree with all of the comments. This is NOT like it was years ago! The employer certainly has the upper hand now. MBA isn't making any real difference for me. My frustration, like how this thread started, is why the same jobs keep popping up, when I know they had good candidates apply. I don't believe there is any real intent to fill many of the positions I see posted. Can any "HR insider" explain what is going on?

94 months ago

Well, it is time for some good news. Have two interviews set this week with very good companies. Lets all hope one of them comes through! I'm tired of networking and sending out literally hundreds and hundreds on resumes online. By the one - one HR person mentined in passing that they dont actually read the resumes - they use a keyword scanning software to pick the good matches. Could it be that we are all getting rejected by a computer program without a person involved? That is tough!

pH in Minneapolis, Minnesota

94 months ago

gt said: Well, it is time for some good news. Have two interviews set this week with very good companies. Lets all hope one of them comes through! I'm tired of networking and sending out literally hundreds and hundreds on resumes online. By the one - one HR person mentined in passing that they dont actually read the resumes - they use a keyword scanning software to pick the good matches. Could it be that we are all getting rejected by a computer program without a person involved? That is tough!

Yes in my 10 month search I have talked to quite a few HR folks and have been told that they never actually see 90% of the resumes. They do have a keyword search. You have to tailor your resume to every job applied for. Then when you are going through the online questions such as "Desired Salary" picking high or low on that automatically kicks out your resume. I have started applying to every job several times with different numbers because of this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

JCA in Elk Grove Village, Illinois

94 months ago

Jake said: gt,
Location is a big factor, Cleveland is not a high-tech area. I plan to move, not sure where. I hate to make a move out of state where I (think) I can get a job. It also seems like out of stte places are a little reluctant in calling me for an interview since I am so far away. I don't know what to think any more.

For the EE's out there. The only SIGNIFICANT tech areas other than in Silicon Valley are Texas, Illinois and Michigan. More specifically, Austin, Chicago (suburbs) and anywhere near Detroit. I didn't say that's all of them....just MOST of them. Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to move if you want a hardware design job AND want to find one in short order.

94 months ago

Actually I'm a chem engineer and looking for a job in manufacturing. You are right about location, regardless of the discipline....

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

94 months ago

Thanks for info JCA, I am in Cleveland and it stinks for EE's. I plan to move, just not sure which city-(whoever hires me first. haha)

Ok, now to respond to these keyword searches. I've read that too from my career prep info. I tried to embed my resume with as many as possible to get high hits. I guess I didn't use the right suggested words.

So, any there HR people out here that can tell us all these words? Or at minimum tell us where we can find such a list?

I know when I made my resume, I used at least two buzz words in every bullet list of my qualifications and experiences. I would think my flooded resume would have generated some hits.

Here's a twist on who sees the resumes. On one of my old employers website, they make it look that your resume goes straight to the corporate office since thats where te web page is located. Well, I found out from an ex-coworker still there, tell me that the local facility still reviews the resumes first and then refers who they want to corporate for processing. So, their relatives and friends were still hired because that's who this local group selected.

The people are hired same as always, just more high-tech implementation that weeds us strangers back out in limbo.

Hard hitter in Raleigh, North Carolina

94 months ago

Jake said: Thanks for info JCA, I am in Cleveland and it stinks for EE's. I plan to move, just not sure which city-(whoever hires me first. haha)
Ok, now to respond to these keyword searches. I've read that too from my career prep info. I tried to embed my resume with as many as possible to get high hits. I guess I didn't use the right suggested words.
So, any there HR people out here that can tell us all these words? Or at minimum tell us where we can find such a list?
I know when I made my resume, I used at least two buzz words in every bullet list of my qualifications and experiences. I would think my flooded resume would have generated some hits.
Here's a twist on who sees the resumes. On one of my old employers website, they make it look that your resume goes straight to the corporate office since thats where te web page is located. Well, I found out from an ex-coworker still there, tell me that the local facility still reviews the resumes first and then refers who they want to corporate for processing. So, their relatives and friends were still hired because that's who this local group selected.
The people are hired same as always, just more high-tech implementation that weeds us strangers back out in limbo.

I have BSEE degree too but never had any problem in getting a job. GE hired me right after college, now Siemens is has called for interview. I would say just go to web site and apply. That's what I did...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

94 months ago

[QUOTE who="Hard hitter"]
I have BSEE degree too but never had any problem in getting a job. GE hired me right after college, now Siemens is has called for interview. I would say just go to web site and apply. That's what I did...

Which city is Siemens hiring?

Wow. My resume must be all messed up because I applied online with GE (Nela Park in Cleveland) right after graduation and also 10 years later at a job fair at Cleveland State University. Never got an interview. The GE Rep I spoke with at the job fair would never return my voice mails.

I just don't understand because I have gone to three separate resume workshops to make sure my resume looked good.

Could someone recommend some good EE words I can use in my resume? Anyone know of a good resume example on a web page?

With only 10 years out of college, perhaps these companies are quietly practicing ageism? Doesn't make sense because I had this same problem 10 years ago at graduation.

Maybe it is the college I attended? Right after graduation I called a manager at Bendix in Elyria, Ohio and he flat out told me no way would he consider me because they only hire from ivy league colleges, not from colleges Cleveland State. :-(

So what if I grew up poor and struggled to save money for the only college I could afford. I worked VERY HARD to overcome many obstacles. I would think I at least deserve an interview.

What is going on?!

Lee in Colorado in Aurora, Colorado

93 months ago

All of the aforementiond comments hit home for my job search as well. I have spent the money with personal marketinf firms, resume writing, and interview training and fielding phone calls. To no avail. I believe the internet is a graveyard of resumes. I have had a few calls and a few interviews in my two year search. I have an MBA as most of you and doctorate in management which I find doesn't help either, moreover still in 30s. The Siemens postings are bogus. There are no jobs to be had there.

JustinK in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

93 months ago

Hi everyone,

My suggestion on the keyword search is tailor your resume for every job posted. Use as many keywords from the job posting that you can. Those are usually the words their software looks for.

Hope that helps some.

bob

93 months ago

Jake, try GE Nuclear Energy. I'm Down here in Wilmington, NC on the coast. They keep posting all kinds of openings. Lots of ME jobs and some EE's. They are ramping up to build nuke reactors. Even started/sponsored an associates tech program with the local Comm. College. Most of the postings I've seen on Indeed.com or GeEnergy. Worth a shot! Good Luck!

hr tells the truth in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

93 months ago

For those of you applying to jobs you consider "ghost" positions may actually be a job posting to satisfy a Labor Condition Agreement. When a company hires a foreign national, there are several things that must be done in order for this foreigner to obtain a visa or greencard status. For example, one of the tests that must be satisfied is posting the job on the companies internal and external websites. The job must be posted for 10 consecutive business days. The next thing is to post the position on job boards or in print (newpapers, journals, professional magazines). There is a certain period of time these jobs must be posted. Once all of the resumes are received, the folks in HR take the resumes of all of the people that have applied and look to see if there are any qualfied people. In some cases, you can eliminate a person before an interview...in others you must interview them onsite and find a legitimate reason to not hire them. If you can't find a qualifed US worker, the foreign national may obtain his/her visa or greencard. If a qualifed US worker is found, the company must hire the person and the foreign national must return to his/her home country. Typically this practice is found in salaried exempt jobs, but is also found in hourly non-exempt positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

forgot to add that even after the posting is removed, the employer must allow a 30-day window for resumes to trickle in before they can file the application with the INS.

93 months ago

GT said: I applied for a job in Norcross, GA. A recruiter called me. They use an outside recruiter to screen people. So, basically you have clerks who aren't even familiar with your field determining whether or not you get presented to the hiring manager. Pretty scary.

Don't be to skeptical about outside recruiters. Sometimes an outside recruiter gets you noticed quicker than applying through a companies website or other job board ;) We use them here all the time. We do our own searches, but agencies can be a big help. Once you get the interview, they are a great liason when it comes to negotiating salary, finding out next steps, finding out what you did/didn't do wrong, where your skills are lacking and how/what to improve. They may also tell you what to expect to happen on the interview..names of people you'll interview with etc. etc.

93 months ago

Dana said: Can someone, anyone help me with answers to these questions? If you have interviewed with a company and each time it went well but you never hear from the company, again. How long do you wait to contact any HR rep, after you have had an interview? Is it OK to contact the HR rep or hiring manager, say for example two or three weeks have past and the job is back out online. Or, do you just take that for your answer? One more thing, why are there so many jobs available but NO on is hiring?

Dana, I would write a list of questions and take them with you on the interview...and also, write down the questions you've asked the group. I am a recuiter and I see nothing wrong with asking those questions. I think it shows interest in the job. Ask for a business card, ask if you can contact them. If the person you interview with becomes nasty, you most likely will get the same reaction when you work there. In regards to your comment about a bunch of jobs and no one hiring...see my blurb above in this thread regarding foreign nationals ;) Not always the case, but most likely.

93 months ago

Lee in Colorado said: All of the aforementiond comments hit home for my job search as well. I have spent the money with personal marketinf firms, resume writing, and interview training and fielding phone calls. To no avail. I believe the internet is a graveyard of resumes. I have had a few calls and a few interviews in my two year search. I have an MBA as most of you and doctorate in management which I find doesn't help either, moreover still in 30s. The Siemens postings are bogus. There are no jobs to be had there.

Hi Lee,
I am sorry your having trouble finding a job. I know its a pain to spend all that time and money applying for jobs that never come to fruition. I see a ton of resumes everyday and there are a lot of MBA folks out there. It seems that everyone is getting an MBA these days. You need to find something in your background vs. the job posted that distinguishes you from the other MBA candidates. Without seeing your resume, I couldn't make suggestions. Maybe you should try bolding some words on your resume? Just a suggestion. Sometimes changing the way your resume is organized will get you noticed. If the position doesn't require the MBA...maybe you should move it somewhere else on the resume (don't remove it) and put your work experience at the forefront ;) As far as Sieman's job being bogus, perhaps, but here in the Pittsburgh Area, Siemans/Westinghouse Nuclear is looking to add 1,000+ jobs over the next two years. I don't work at either, but that's the word on the street.

A NOTE TO ALL: Do not ever, ever, ever pay money for a search firm to help you find a job. There are plenty of staffing agencies that will help find you a job and then collect the fee from the employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Burger said: I have had experiences where I applied for several positions at a few Pittsburgh area companies, even dropping off resume's in person. I later learned (from employees of the firms) that they gear up for big contracts by posting the jobs, may not get the contracts, and therefore do not hire. They go through this cycle continuously, posting the same jobs over and over.
The best part - I finally got the call from one that I would have been really excited about (I lived 5 minutes from the plant)... only after I moved 2 hours away!

Hey there Burger,
You should have talked to that company about relocation assistance ;)

Jake in North Ridgeville, Ohio

93 months ago

Thank you Bob, worth a shot. :-)

[QUOTE who="bob"]Jake, try GE Nuclear Energy. I'm Down here in Wilmington, NC on the coast. They keep posting all kinds of openings. Lots of ME jobs and some EE's. They are ramping up to build nuke reactors. Even started/sponsored an associates tech program with the local Comm. College. Most of the postings I've seen on Indeed.com or GeEnergy. Worth a shot! Good Luck!

Burger in Waltham, Massachusetts

93 months ago

hr tells the truth said:
Hey there Burger,
You should have talked to that company about relocation assistance ;)

Thanks for the tip, it may work for others, but did not workfor me at the time. As you know in Pittsburgh, 2 hrs on the parkway doesn't mean it's over the IRS 50 mile relocation range. Most companies won't assist in that case.

But, with that said - relocation is a great bargaining tool which I plan to exploit in my current search - if a company offers relo, and I don't need it, I can use that as a bargaining chip to squeeze a little more salary up front.

Ted in Tuckwilla

93 months ago

Jake said: Thank you Bob, worth a shot. :-)

Jake I too was having problems with getting noticed.
Passed my resume to a buddy in sales.
He said it looked good but it only said what i had done
it needs to say what you can do for them.....
so when they read it they see (wow! this guy can help us).
If there is anything you have ever helped change for the better
here is the chance to blow your horn.....
Hope this helps.

Zoey in Chicago, Illinois

93 months ago

JPS Detroit said: BSEE Jay? wow, it is bad out there. I've easily sent 250 resumes to qualified positions in 9 months. One interview. And here I thought the BSEE and BSME were cruising into the Account Manager jobs that called for Engineering degrees. I'm thinking the majority of the jobs posted on the web are inside deals.

Maybe you need to get certified or something. I have a similar experience as you do. What I am doing now is updating my skills by preparing for the MCAD (Microsoft certified applications developer.) Although the job I will get will probably pay between $40,000 - $60,000; its a stepping stone for more lucrative jobs after I gain experience; and it better then sending out another 250 resumes with again no results.

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

93 months ago

Hi Beeny in Chicago.

Yep sure know what it is like. I grew up poor and always encountered getting picked last or never at all. But it wasn't any kind of race thing, just the fact that my family, relatives, and ancestors did not know anyone in the high-tech industry to help me with referrals.

I lived in a small town where most people knew something about someone else. My father being a drunk and would never work created obstacles for me as far as how people viewed me. Having utilities shut off, being evicted out house after house, losing 20-30 pounds for lack of food, is no picnic. I hope you have made it through your hardships.

But that's ok because I overcame them and now I am stronger than most people. I'm first generation college graduate!

I'm making a dent in my job hunt so I know something will turn up. It took me two years to find a real engineer job right after graduation, and I will find something again. LIke my first time, I was at the right time at the right place.

Speaking about selective hiring, race aside, many people encounter it as far as being related to how they are dressed, looks, habits, body language, etc.

I'm sure every job applicant can relate to being put under a microscope and has been scrutinized. Fact of life. Employers want the best deal for their money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dean

93 months ago

I have been job hunting for the past 5 months for work as an IT Business Analyst. I probably have submitted close to 1000 jobs online. I have had 6 face-to-face interviews which I believed went well. I am not perfect but would know if I really bombed in an interview. I am always very upbeat and optimistic, even show examples of work. But I have yet to hit paydirt. I am wondering if companies are actually expecting to find the perfect candidate. The first interview I had was in 11/06 with the Catholic Church. Even they are still posting the same job and its 4/07. They haven't even given me the results of the interview and this is after several followups. Maybe I should become a Protestant. Any thoughts. ?????????????????????

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

93 months ago

I feel for you Dean, I have had the same experience. The few interviews I had, the interviewers were not at all motivated. It was as if someone twisted their arm to give the interview. Needless to say I was never contacted.

I read elsewhere on here where some employers complained about wasted time from people "fishing" the job ads and sending them resumes. They claimed the applicants wanted to see whats out here and what kind of salaries exist and then push their own bosses for raises.

I think many of these companies also "go fishing" to see what kind of applicants are out here. Who knows for what reasons they do this.

I encountered this shortly after I was laid off back in November 2001. A local company (Bendix in Elyria, Ohio) had an ad in The Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper for a job fair. To make a long story short, a friend of mine talked to his friend (who works at Bendix) who said he could not understand why they had the job fair because they never hired anyone.

I think it is the same as always; unless you are in the right place at the right time, or are really really exceptional like [GOD], you have to know someone to get hired. But that is just my take from my experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

gt in Charlotte, North Carolina

92 months ago

If anything, those other than white have an ADVANTAGE in the hiring process - please quit whining about the rase issue as it is not a big factor anymore. Companies are looking for talent - you have it or you dont. OK?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

92 months ago

Exactly right gt. NASA here in Cleveland, if anything, has a strong EEO policy.

When I went to the local community college here, I was really surprised to see some literature about a lower GPA requuirment for the deans list for minorities. I don't know if it is still that way but it was when I attended.

I really try hard to be perfect in my field. That way I can offer a company a great value for their dollar and hopefully they will offer me a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gt in Charlotte, North Carolina

92 months ago

By the way - I am now employed with a Fortune 100 in Charlotte. It was a hunt of about 4 months and thank goodness the search is over.

BTW - I'm a white guy. I'm neither racist or bigoted in my outlook, but do feel the EEO policies in place hurt the capability of many comanies to hire the best people. My earlier comments stem from personal experience. Most managers are still white guys in our workforce, but they are forced by company policy to hire monorities, which are often less qualified. Few (managers) are willing to rock to boat as they are immediately branded as racist bigots - a career limiting event for sure. It is amusing to watch what happens when someone who is marginally qualified or even unqualified be place in a position and then not be able to hack it!

Also note that managers are limited in choosing from the candidates that HR feeds them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Wild Thing in Escondido, California

92 months ago

The reason companies attend job fairs because they want good PR. They will tell you to post your resume on their websites anyway, so what is the point?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.