Beginning insurance agent

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

RB in Safety Harbor, Florida

65 months ago

I read a lot of negative comments about becoming an agent with Aflac. For five years I was a Realtor in Florida. Here's what it costs to become and Independent Realtor: $200 for FBI background check, $75 to take state exam, $375 to take real estate course, then: affiliation with real estate agency, averages about $250 per month, local, state and national association dues per year - $700; lock box for homes $125 each for electronic access; electronic key rental $150 per year; business cards $75 to $125 per quarter; multiple listing access $360 per 6 months. Do the math and it costs about $1500 to $2000 to get started in real estate not to include advertising! Aflac sounds a lot better!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dave Pruitt in Baltimore, Maryland

62 months ago

oh yeah. Definnitely. I'd rather do Aflac--if anything if I flop, allI lose is maybe $200 for a test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jdstankosky in Dayton, Ohio

58 months ago

I've invested a total of $290 here in Ohio. I just started last week.

You can track your progress if you want. I'm going to in a blog.
jdstankosky.blogspot.com/

That ways I can look back after I'm successful and see what it took to get me there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

poohandnahnah in Mary Esther, Florida

47 months ago

RB in Safety Harbor, Florida said: I read a lot of negative comments about becoming an agent with Aflac. For five years I was a Realtor in Florida. Here's what it costs to become and Independent Realtor: $200 for FBI background check, $75 to take state exam, $375 to take real estate course, then: affiliation with real estate agency, averages about $250 per month, local, state and national association dues per year - $700; lock box for homes $125 each for electronic access; electronic key rental $150 per year; business cards $75 to $125 per quarter; multiple listing access $360 per 6 months. Do the math and it costs about $1500 to $2000 to get started in real estate not to include advertising! Aflac sounds a lot better!!!

Does ALFAC check credit? If negative credit, will license/application be denied?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Janis Smith in New Haven, Connecticut

46 months ago

As far as I know, Aflac does not check credit. I think you may be confused though...Aflac doesn't grant licenses...instead the region/county/state you are selling in does. (In some states, you need a license from the Dept of Insurance...in others, you have to get licensed in each county.) Your license is your own affair; you have to take the appropriate measures in order to get one (actually two: Health & Life). What Aflac offers is a contract; to sell their products. There are no fees required in getting contracted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jordan Commander in Monroe, Louisiana

45 months ago

I just signed up to take my pre-licensing test here in Monroe. I'm taking that test online with a book for 117.20. I have no idea what the actually state test is going to cost me. Anyone know, or does that depend on the sate you live in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.