How to get a job at AFLAC.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 120)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at AFLAC? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

tj in New York, New York

91 months ago

Christina said: The interview was a little strange - more him trying to sell me on the company than me trying to sell myself as an employee. He did give me an information packet which consisted of stats of Aflac's successfulness along with a flyer saying for every new (successful) sales rep we recruit, we earn a commission on that plus a commission their earnings. Sooo - I'm guessing that's what this guy's goal was. Oh - and the training - you don't have to go every day, just a couple days of training and then they basically throw you to the wolves. And then you go back for more training. The cost...upwards of about $300, including your license. But in my situation, it would be even more due to the fact I live on the PA/NY border, and it would make more sense for me to be licensed in both states. Whew! AND I would need a laptop in order to enter in employees' information while visiting the workplace. Now we're talking serious cabbage! Granted, he did say we would be given about $800 to put toward it, and all can be deducted as a tax write-off at the end of the year....but not sure whether or not I want to shell all that out for something I'm not too sure I'll be good at. What do you think? Is it the good old Bait-and-Switch? Should I try it? Get my training and licenses, and if it doesn't work out...take everything I got out of it and run? Or should I tell them no dice?

Thanks for feedback. I was wondering did he tell you if they send you on leads they give you or are on your own. It sounds like real estate no leads at my company and you are totally on your own. Very hard to make a living. The question is how do you find potential customers.
I have a laptop but they make you us yours to bring to their office?
The real estate cost me about $500. a year just to keep license active.
Was the guy that interviewed you professional and do you get a desk? It will be diffucult to make money if no sales calls or leads are given. Is there a state test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Christina

91 months ago

You are very welcome...and yes, they do give you SOME leads, but you are more or less responsible for your own. Also, there is a quota - which is annually $115,000 worth of premiums (just enough to keep you on the radar according to them), which translates into about $2,000+/week or 3 to 4 people/week. But unfortunately, that also equals only about $10,000/yr in my pocket. Not enough to live on, that's for sure. I think the secret is making contacts upon contacts wherever you go, especially if you know someone in a small business. You are paid commission per sale AND on every renewal policy. That will help somewhat. The guy that interviewed me (us, actually, it was me and another guy) was somewhat professional - I suppose I was just expecting to have to sell myself more. And no, the only desk I get is my own at home for now. Which works out fine for me...I have a small child.
Now the laptop, not sure if I'll have to bring one to the in-office training sessions...but it will definitely be necessary out in the field. And yes - there is a state licensing test - (which cost me $121.00, the most basic package was $90) and I am in the process of studying for it now. They give you a site that has a very dry yet informative online course that enables you to self-quiz to check your readiness for the test. I hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Laurie in Portland, Oregon

91 months ago

Hi,
I Love working for AFLAC. You can have as much training or as little as you choose! There is at least 4 days of training in a classroom setting, but you REALLY do want to attend it..you learn alot!!! You will make as much as you want..and that is the key..as you want!! There are so many ways to make the sales..and the best thing is that you really have a great product..my favorite is the accident as well as the jumping juvenal policies..Life is good too!

But if you do not have the inner drive and don't feel like working to make what you want..then it really isn't for you!

I was a real estate agent for 10 years..in different markets...this is so much better, more fun, easier and quicker money!

I have the best job in the world!

You really should take a look at it! You will be extremely glad you did!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

tj in New York, New York

91 months ago

Hi Christina
It sounds like you must get a lot of policies to make any money. How much does the Aflac agent receive per new customer. Is the test diffucult? Must you be very computer savy?
10,000. a year is nothing I live in Manhattan so I really would have to put in a lot of hours. My biggest thing is not to have to do all these requirements and not make any money.
Well I wish you luck with getting licensed and a lucrative career.
Thanks again,
TJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Christina

91 months ago

Hi TJ!
I think you're probably right, but again, I'm just starting out. The course (for licensing) is a little difficult - only because it's a lot of dry information; and I mean a lot. Not sure of the test itself yet, but I will let you know.
I don't think you have to be very computer savvy. Just the basic knowledge is probably fine, though I would maybe use excel for keeping track of my numbers.
I agree with you about putting forth all the effort without knowing whether or not you'll get a payout for it. It is pretty scary, and Manhattan's not a cheap place to live. I may hold a second job just in case...
I agree with Laurie, too, that AFLAC really is a great product, and if you know where to go - it may just sell itself.

Thanks very much for your well wishes,

Christina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

tj in New York, New York

91 months ago

Thanks for getting back to me. I will still keep my real estate license if I decide to do this because that can be part time weekends.
Let me know how the test goes and I'm sure you will do great.

Thanks again,
TJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Hi,
Sorry it took so long for me to respond.To answer your question..there are programs to get leads and contests etc..but I never use these..this is what I did before I joined the company..first of all I spent a year researching it and then just prior to making my decision, I called a regional coordinator and went for the interview..just like you did. I then got some brochures, just like I am sure you did and I went on my way to the bank to the post office and shopping in stores..I made sure the AFLAC brochure was right there on top and I laid it down in plain site of the cashiers or teller or whomever I was dealing with..8 out of the 10 people I did business with that day asked me if I had AFLAC, I said no not yet do you? the all said no but some member of their family did and they would like it if they knew how much it was, etc...once I truely saw how easy it was to sell, I knew I wanted to sell it..you really don't need leads, like in RE, almost everyone is a lead!
They also have a referral program where if you recruit someone to join you get 5% of their earnings for the 1st year..I am not specifically interest in the 5%, I just want to help others get into the business and have them in my ABC line. You can be in anyones ABC line no matter what state..I have people in MN and NE under me. It is fun to talk and work together but not be in competing areas..we really all help each other daily!!I am sure you would beable to pass the test, especially since you alread passed the re test..which I found to be more difficult. I was a re agent for 10 years..THIS is so much better!If you don't have a lot of income or savings..I would recommend a parttime job until you get started..but I actually started out making 1500 a week and then it just goes up from there. Plus there are renewals and stock.talk to you again..let me know if you do decide to get involved..you can always join my abc team if you want additional support, but you have to do it b4 you sign with AFL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

FoonTheElder

91 months ago

I have extensive experience in benefits and insurance agencies. Aflac started extensive hiring when the top management decided that their market penetration in the U.S. was not as high as it was in Japan. See:
www.aflac.com/us/en/aboutaflac/PressReleaseStory.aspx?rid=453468

The problem is that every independent benefits insurance broker can (and often does)sell Aflac. They are already well established with their client base. It is like working for Geico and having the local State Farm agent being able to sell Geico as well.

Due to the mass hirings by Aflac, most Benefit Managers are inundated by calls from Aflac agents trying to sell their insurance to their employee groups.

Selling only for Aflac is a narrow niche in the benefits business. They only sell supplemental insurances, not the basic health, dental or optical insurance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Hi!
I am wondering, since you know about all the options, how do you feel that AFLAC compares to the many other companies you deal with?
Are their prices to you and your employees more or less than the others, is there coverage, better or worse what do you look for when you are making a decision on who to offer to your employees? Would it make sense to offer more than one option to your employees based on what they are personally looking for?

Would you be willing to share with me how you prefer to be approached by agents, such as myself to ask you to affer our options to you?
What would you suggest as the most effective way to reach other Benefit Managers and in your experience what products that AFLAC offers are the most appealing?

I am so excited that you posted! I sincerely appreciate any feedback and advice you will share with me!!! Thank you!!!

I can also be emailed at Savedbytheducktoo@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tj in New York, New York

90 months ago

Hi Laurie,
Thank you for response. I'm still in Real Estate so may do the transition in the Spring.My husband knows a friend of a friend who works at Aflac but I would go for interview with regional. I was wondering how many hours a week you put in to this job? Are you in the car most of the time going on calls? I'm still investigating it. Are you making more money now? How long have you been at Aflac? It sounds like you are doing well and make contacts easily. I think I would need leads in to order to generate business. I appreciate your information.

Thanks,
TJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

FoonTheElder

90 months ago

The supplemental products that Aflac offers are comparable to its competition, Colonial, Assurant, etc. As Aflac benefits are employee paid, they are generally not as big priority in larger companies, as they are not part of the budget expense.

The best way to approach a Benefits Manager is to send them information, follow up and ask to be considered as part of their next quote on their benefit program, which is ususally every couple of years. You may not get any response, because it is likely that someone else has been there first, or they already have a relationship with a similar agent or company.

I am also a Life & Health agent. I am now working in the accounting department of a large, national insurance brokerage, who also sells Aflac (as well as its competitors). You need to realize that all of your competition has access to practically all of the same insurance providers that you do. That is why limiting yourself to Aflac significantly narrows your options. Aflac appears to be hiring people who are unfamiliar with the insurance business. You will soon find that you have a great deal of competition. If you are a contractor, you are the one taking all of the risk & I wouldn't recommend that you put all of your eggs in a narrow basket, like Aflac.

If I was in your position, I would concentrate on group life and health insurance for small to mid-sized clients, along with Aflac. Most state Blue Cross organizations hold educational meetings on their products. It is usually a good place to start, and it is not unusual to make $20,000 per year on a company with 70 employees. I don't know if you have a contract that limits you to Aflac, but Aflac offers your well financed competition the same options.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Thank you so very much!! Your advice is very sound and I will certainly check my other options!

I sincerely appreciate the time you took to respond!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bob Indianapolis in Arlington Heights, Illinois

90 months ago

I am in the process of getting started with AFLAC. I have met some wonderful and helpful people in my regional office. I don't get the impression that they are scaming or trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I am truly looking forward to working with these people. I have been amazed how interested people are w/ the product. I just mention to people I know what I am doing and they want to know more. I tell them just wait a week or so and I'll be happy to discuss it. Also referals from people I know are rolling in.
I am very excited about this new adventure.
Bob

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

karmin in Bardwell, Kentucky

90 months ago

I have an interveiw with AFLAC on wensday. I was wondering if its inside or outside sales? I mean I can be a telemarketer for anyone. I would like to do my own thing and drum up my on clientel. I already have 6 major buisnesses in my area with 200+ employees whom I am in constant direct contact with. Will that help me? What about the interveiw... should I mention this?
Any more advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

laurie in Lancaster, California

90 months ago

Hi Karmin,

I think AFLAC is a great career choice! You will have the ability to go as far as you want with the company. Like any position of this type you will design how you prospect. The company will give you training and ideas of what has been successful for the large producers. There is phone sales as well as direct sales. It really is more of a direct to the business sale as you do meet in person with the benefits person/owner and then you do meet in person with the employees of the businesses. You also may have the opportunity to sell directly to individuals.

The already established contacts you have with the businesses in your area will definately be a good starting place to offer AFLAC's great products.

Aflac is looking for outgoing, professional motivated people plus these traitis will make you a successful business owner..which is what you will become.

If you enjoy telemarketing and it sounds like you are good at it, I am sure that is a skill you could also independently market if you chose not to follow a career with AFLAC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GREG in El Paso, Texas

89 months ago

hello everyone i have a property and casualty license and have been in the insurance business for about three years. I work for a mid sized company with about 300 offices throughout the southwest. I've also worked for major companies. The one thing that i've noticed while working for these companies is that you have a quota and you do all the work. You dont get paid much as a producer, someone who sells insurance, The only ones that win are the AGENTS. they get all the commisiion, i have yet to come across a generous one who will set the goal to get part of the commision at a reachable goal. That or a small percentage is what you'll get. Anyways i came across Aflac by this girl who came in and was selling insurance, she is very succesfull, i met the regional and he took me out to lunch and dinner. I met other agents and they were all making tons of cash. They were giving me advice and told me i was making a good decision. After watching the vehicles and clothes they were wearing i am now a believer. The commission is great. If i sell 3 accident policies in one day i just made more than i do in a 40 hour work week at my company. Dont be scared you have to think of it like a business, CUZ guess what it is your business, you are an independent agent so you make your own hours. Oh yeah and leads c'mon think about it. everyone who know, or mostly everyon, has a job you sell them the product then tell them something like " were you satisfied with my service" chances are they will say very satisfied, thats when you hit them with " thank you would you be able to do me a huge favor" they should say of course. you say " if its not to much trouble can you tell your friends at work about my products because one of the ways i grow is by word of mouth." get where they work and go visit them and their friends should come to you. I know this from experience since i used to use this line alot while working for the man, but from now on its gonna be for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GREG in El Paso, Texas

89 months ago

OH YEAH AND REMEMBER THE SMALL BUSINESSES ARE YOUR BREAD AND BUTTER. SURE THEIRS HUGE COMPANIES BUT BY THE TIME YOUR ABLE TO START SELLING WITHING THE COMPANY IT COULD BE MONTHS. THE SMALL BUSINNESSES USUALLLY HAVE A FEW EMPLOYEES BUT THEIRS NO CHAIN OF COMMAND YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW JUST GO IN AND START TALKING.SHOOT HIT UP LIKE 5 BUSINESSES IN A DAY LETS SAY EACH BUSINESS HAS 5 EMPLOYEES THATS 25 EMPLOYEES YOU TALKED TO IN ONE DAY AND LETS SAY ONLY 20 PURCHASED INSURANCE. YOU JUST MADE A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY. MOST OF THE PEOPLE YOU TALK TO WILL WANT TO PURCHASE THE INSURANCE BECAUSE 1. ITS CHEAP AND 2. WHERE THEY WORK THEY DONT OFFER INSURANCE OR THE INSURANCE THEY OFFER IS EXPENSIVE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GREG in El Paso, Texas

89 months ago

OH YEAH AND I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ANY SUCCESS STORIES AND ALSO FAILED SUCCESS STORIES. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MY PROGRESS YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT gregba02@yahoo.com THANKS....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

GREG in El Paso, Texas

88 months ago

IM already studying for the life and health i will keep everyone posted as well...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

juicebox in State College, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Aflac had just called me earlier today for an interview tomorrow. I'm interested in seeing what they have to offer. Wondering, what type of experience are they looking for? Cause I have no experience in insurance or any of this. I was just interested, and they called me back.

tj in New York, New York

88 months ago

Do you plan on cold calling or just going in to business's? What's your quota? I don't know how easy it is to just get clients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Washington, District of Columbia

88 months ago

Before you get a job at Aflac, or any worksite supplement provider, I suggest that you read the Aflac thread at www.insurance-forums.net/forum If you still want to give it a go, and want to be successful, then that is essential reading.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Freeport, Illinois

88 months ago

I see you have all bought the sunshine story that aflac sells everyone. I am curious how you are doing now after working for them a few months? They are a scam and they will hire anyone who they think can bring them leads, beware. I worked in the NorthWest region for many years and moved to the midwest a few years ago and I left my business behind. I don't make enough money in renewals to pay the mortgage. If after over 7 years of 45-60 hour workweeks a person cannot make a go of it, there there is something wrong with this picture. I went back to teaching where I know I will have a paycheck week to week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Katbert in Chicagoland in Bloomingdale, Illinois

88 months ago

Host said: Do you work at AFLAC? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I'm a hands-on HR benefits specialist in a job search, and I'm not looking to work for AFLAC. It is misleading and extremely annoying to see AFLAC opportunities characterized as "HR Intern" jobs in specific cities. People searching for Sales & Marketing will find AFLAC, as expected. A word of caution to those seeking entry-level HR opportunities: Remember, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck . . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Katbert in Chicagoland in Bloomingdale, Illinois said: I'm a hands-on HR benefits specialist in a job search, and I'm not looking to work for AFLAC. It is misleading and extremely annoying to see AFLAC opportunities characterized as "HR Intern" jobs in specific cities. People searching for Sales & Marketing will find AFLAC, as expected. A word of caution to those seeking entry-level HR opportunities: Remember, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck . . .

Katbert, you are hilarious. Good luck in your search! I think AFLAC lists an HR position because they want to get to people who work in the HR industry, thinking it will help them get into more businesses. It is sad that you were mislead...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Ohio in Memphis, Tennessee

88 months ago

I've been an Aflac agent since Oct. '06. First of all, I interviewed about a year ago, passed my exam in August and went full-time with Aflac in Oct. 2006. The interview process was pretty hyped. I really liked my RSC and we connected right away. I left all jazzed up and ready to sell.

I really enjoy what I do, but the one fault that I see is the constant recruiting of new agents. It works out well for the "seasoned" agent who's already compiled a good book of business and can live comfortably off the renewals and a first year 2-1/2% override on the recruits sales. But, it creates more competition for new agents who need to build up their business. More agents = more people contacting the businesses = business owners getting frustrated by the number of agents knocking on their door = a harder sell = agent frustration.

All-in-all...I really enjoy what I do and Aflac is a great company. One thing that I tell everybody is that they do what they do better than anyone else in the business. That's what makes them #1 in guaranteed renewable insurance. They truly are a great comapny. I just wish that there was some type of cap on the number of agents in a "region."

Maybe in 3 or 4 years (when my business is more established...and I'm hopefully making as much as I was when I left my previous employer) I'll feel differently about recruiting. Till then, I'll just keep knocking on those doors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

TAMI IN NH in Weare, New Hampshire

88 months ago

Hello, I just meet w/Aflac reps and I am considering becoming an agent. I currently have a P&C license but am very sick of the P&C world. I currently make close to 40K and am single with a mortgage so I really need the salary. Can anyone give me an idea of how much I will really make as a beginning agent????
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Wadsworth, Illinois

88 months ago

As you know w/ insurance, given your p&c background. Its all what you put into it. W/ AFLAC you are 100% comission so its all up to you. Make sure your upper management gives you all the help you need and want. That is what they are there for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daughter in Woodstock, Georgia

88 months ago

I'm a single mother of 2 almost grown children and work in property management. I can't see working a 9 to 6 stressful job with a two hour daily commute for the rest of my life. A couple of years ago I met an Aflac agent who sold me supplemental insurance. She was in a similar situation to mine, and I asked her how she liked selling insurance. I could tell she just loved it, she said she was able to work flexible hours and felt she was doing something rewarding and worthwhile.

My question is this...can you begin this part time? If it's 100% commission I won't be able to quit my day job to pursue this. But if I could start out part time and build my business up a bit I think I would love it. And if it is possible, how do I get started? Should I go ahead and get my insurance license?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mimi in KY in Lexington, Kentucky

88 months ago

Emily in Freeport, Illinois said: I see you have all bought the sunshine story that aflac sells everyone. I am curious how you are doing now after working for them a few months? They are a scam and they will hire anyone who they think can bring them leads, beware. I worked in the NorthWest region for many years and moved to the midwest a few years ago and I left my business behind. I don't make enough money in renewals to pay the mortgage. If after over 7 years of 45-60 hour workweeks a person cannot make a go of it, there there is something wrong with this picture. I went back to teaching where I know I will have a paycheck week to week.

I appreciate your insight, Emily. I am considering AFLAC over teaching HS this year, thinking I would be stupid not to do AFLAC. I have this nagging feeling though that walking in on businesses unannounced is not the way to make my living. They do make it seem amazing and profitable.
How long did you work with them? 7years? Did you do well at first? Was it oversold out there? Did you have organization in your region?
Why do you think it doesn't work?
Any comments could really help my family!
Mimi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nikki

88 months ago

Aflac will set you up with a couple of leads..of course the people leaving good comments on this site DO WORK for aflac! A couple of leads is not going to get you a income to live off of, where are you suppose to get more leads from? hang out at the grocery store? cmon this job is a scam for you to try to sell a product to YOUR OWN family and your contacts, where you make little and the company runs away laughing with all the profits! Remember, you are ON YOUR OWN with this business which means your OWN contacts, your OWN advertisement. Think about it...if aflac hires 100 new agents and each one of them get 2 to 3 sales, thats 300 sales based on selling the plans to 2 to 3 family members or friends. Best part is they are profiting and you would be making more working fast food. And you pretty much pay for your own training! who wins?
Just dont make the wrong decisions and do the old well i should of, would of, could of.
it someone is trying to sell a company for you to work for..its always a bad idea!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Mount Airy, Maryland

86 months ago

Laurie in Portland, Oregon said: Hi,
I Love working for AFLAC. You can have as much training or as little as you choose! There is at least 4 days of training in a classroom setting, but you REALLY do want to attend it..you learn alot!!! You will make as much as you want..and that is the key..as you want!! There are so many ways to make the sales..and the best thing is that you really have a great product..my favorite is the accident as well as the jumping juvenal policies..Life is good too!

But if you do not have the inner drive and don't feel like working to make what you want..then it really isn't for you!

I was a real estate agent for 10 years..in different markets...this is so much better, more fun, easier and quicker money!

I have the best job in the world!

You really should take a look at it! You will be extremely glad you did!!

Hi -- Since you posted this 4 months ago are you still happy? I'm currently in sales and understand about working hard and it's what you put into it. My only concern with AFLAC is what the market is like? What is your closing rate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shelly in Sherman, Texas

85 months ago

Thericka in Maplewood, New Jersey said: Yes, I've recently had a interview with a Regional District Sales Manager and after reviewing everyone's comment I can't wait to get started. I understand about the licensing fees but I've never heard about having your own labtop? I will begin in June and you guys will definitely hear from me.

Hi there. Can you tell me how it's going so far? I'm interviewing tomorrow for a sales position and I'd like input from anyone that knows about this job. Good? Bad? Are you happy so far?

85 months ago

Well, I actually start training the classroom training on Wednesday and am currently doing my online prelicensing course to obtain my insurance license. As soon as I get my insurance license and finish the classroom training I'll be partnered up and get into the field.

I read about the laptop too on these postings, but haven't heard anything. If forgot to ask.

I'd love to hear more feedback as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ira G Katz in Jacksonville, Florida

85 months ago

HI Laurie,
I had just responded to an AFLAC ad also. I have been living in Jacksonville for 2 yrs now without success finding a good job. I do computer analysis with excel. I used to work for the Massachuesstts Department of Revenue for 20 years but decided to move to warm and rainy (today) Florida. I have not sold anything but just recieved my Notary Commission and am certified as a Signing Agent. However I a not totally comfortable selling so I am very anxious about interviewing. I would like to be in YOUR line if possible so you could help me.
Please email me if you can about any advise.
Thanks. Ira G Katz, Jax sema042794@gmail.com

85 months ago

Hi Ira,

Have you signed with AFLAC yet? Please write me at todayschoices@yahoo.com and we can go from there. About selling...you sell yourself every time you meet someone for the first time and I can tell you are good at it!

Talk to you soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Daughter in Woodstock, Georgia said: I'm a single mother of 2 almost grown children and work in property management. I can't see working a 9 to 6 stressful job with a two hour daily commute for the rest of my life. A couple of years ago I met an Aflac agent who sold me supplemental insurance. She was in a similar situation to mine, and I asked her how she liked selling insurance. I could tell she just loved it, she said she was able to work flexible hours and felt she was doing something rewarding and worthwhile.

My question is this...can you begin this part time? If it's 100% commission I won't be able to quit my day job to pursue this. But if I could start out part time and build my business up a bit I think I would love it. And if it is possible, how do I get started? Should I go ahead and get my insurance license?

Thanks!

Well, I never got a response to my question. I was hoping I could start up and sell Aflac to my company, but somebody has beat me to it. I just purchased cancer and disablility insurance this week. The person who signed me up told me to give her a call. Before I do, I hope someone can answer some of these questions for me. And for those of you who do sell it, how DO you get your leads? Or do you just knock on a lot of corporate doors? Another thing, I don't want to give a presentation in front of a large group of people. When we had our meeting this week some guy gave the presentation and a woman had us register with her. How does this normally work? Somebody? Anybody?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Hi everyone,

Here is an update. I've been through the first week of training and am almost ready to take the exam for my insurance license.

The income potential is amazing. I can tell you that the hardest part is getting appointments. You go through a 3 day classroom training and then go into the field with a mentor to observe and then the mentor will go with you on your first appointment or until you are comfortable. In doing so you will split your commission or decide together what percentage each will get. I'm not sure exactly how, but it is fair I know.

The more I learn about this company the more I like it!

Hope this helps. By the way, there are no territories so if anyone would like to get started let me know. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to even express that online, but I will find out.

Good luck!

Mimi in KY in Lexington, Kentucky

85 months ago

Daughter in Woodstock, Georgia said: I'm a single mother of 2 almost grown children and work in property management. I can't see working a 9 to 6 stressful job with a two hour daily commute for the rest of my life. A couple of years ago I met an Aflac agent who sold me supplemental insurance. She was in a similar situation to mine, and I asked her how she liked selling insurance. I could tell she just loved it, she said she was able to work flexible hours and felt she was doing something rewarding and worthwhile.

Thanks!

Your leads, after you sell to everyone you know, dwindle down to cold calling via telephone, letters or walking in on running businesses. It is not easy to do.

You do have to present your plans eventually to groups. During the presentation, which would not necessarily be to a large group, you would have to sell your product. Your income, now that you are finally in front of potential customers will be based on how much these employees now believe or trust you and believe in this product you are peddling.

The income is there, it just is not a magical income. I decided against it after some time driving around in circles dropping in unannouced on working people. I decided making a living like this selling door to door was not for me.

I have to say many are able to do this, I have seen success with it and many really like it. I have also seen frustration. It requires a lot of persistence, belief in what you are selling, and how you are selling it. I did not have belief in how I would be selling it.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MF in Minneapolis, Minnesota

85 months ago

I have been with AFLAC for almost a year now and am very pleased with my choice. It seems there are alot of questions about how it works. One thing to keep in mind is that once you get your license you are and independant insurance agent, I chose to represent AFLAC... I don't work for AFLAC, I choose to sell thier products. You don't have to answer to anybody but yourself and your clients. It would be wise to attend the free training they provide so you can learn about what you are selling. There is no need for a computer, everything can be done by paper applications, the downside is the paperwork. The trick to the computer is that is has to be bought from AFLAC since the application used to sign people up is copywritten, but it runs Windows so it can also be used as a personal computer. Most regions and districts have computers agents can use until they can afford their own (5 months in my case)... I didn't have to buy one but it has definatly made my job easier. Sounds like alot of people are worried about leads and such. You generate your own leads just like all the other agents out there, if you found 10 businesses who want AFLAC would you give those to someone who just started or sign the business yourself and make yourself some money???...That's just common sense. Your district manager should be more than happy to show your the best way to find leads but as the saying goes ...."Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.".... The classes AFLAC provides teaches you how to "fish". Any other questions... mfischermc@aol.com...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

deaner in Dayton, Ohio

85 months ago

I go into an interview with a RSM mid week. Does anyone have any questions that they recommend I ask? I have been told that Aflac has a very small market share in my area but after reading some of this string there really doesn't seem to be any areas. Any information would help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Thank you all for the info. I talked to the agent I bought my insurance from yesterday. She said you don't have to buy a laptop, but she bought one after about six months. I don't see why you couldn't just purchase the Aflac software. Anyway she does everything by paper and usually just imports it into her computer when she gets home. Since I obviously have a PC I can do that. I live in Atlanta, and the area is thriving business wise. She said she has no problem selling in our area because you never run out of places to solicit. According to her she makes full time pay working about 30 hours per week, and that's all she does. She did tell me it does take a while to get to that point; she's been selling for Aflac for eight years.

I am intersted in maybe selling other insurance in addition to Aflac if we're all independant agents. I hope that wouldn't be a conflict of interest, it just seems like the way to offer more and sell more.

Thank you everybody for your help. I've decided I'm going to go for it!!

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

Daughter in Woodstock, Georgia said: I am intersted in maybe selling other insurance in addition to Aflac if we're all independant agents. I hope that wouldn't be a conflict of interest, it just seems like the way to offer more and sell more.

I have always thought independent insurance agents sell a variety of policies from a variety of insurance companies.

It is the same as if you had your own grocery. You can sell whatever you like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Gresham, Oregon

84 months ago

Emily in Freeport, Illinois said: I see you have all bought the sunshine story that aflac sells everyone. I am curious how you are doing now after working for them a few months? They are a scam and they will hire anyone who they think can bring them leads, beware. I worked in the NorthWest region for many years and moved to the midwest a few years ago and I left my business behind. I don't make enough money in renewals to pay the mortgage. If after over 7 years of 45-60 hour workweeks a person cannot make a go of it, there there is something wrong with this picture. I went back to teaching where I know I will have a paycheck week to week.

It's easy to see why you weren't successful, you obviously blow at sales, either you're one ugly girl, you're up-tight when talking with people, you're too stupid to know when somebody is asking for help and when somebody isn't interested to start with. Maybe you should try getting out more, I'd suggest you drink a lot of alcohol to help with that mild case of Depression you're dealing with. Not Aflac's fault you couldn't sell &^%$ to a dung-beetle. Best of luck with your teaching career, hope you're "OPTOMISTIC WAYS" don't rub off on your students.

IDIOT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

Ira G Katz in Jacksonville, Florida

84 months ago

Wow. Not only do you not know how to spell, you are rather obnoxious as well.
If you are what AFLAK represents I will not pursue this sales effort. Not everyone wants or can sell. I have never tried this profession but I have been told I could try it. I would NEVER put anyone down or criticize them for any failures. At least they did attempt it. Maybe you should try taking grammer lessons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Joe in Gresham, Oregon said: It's easy to see why you weren't successful, you obviously blow at sales, either you're one ugly girl, you're up-tight when talking with people, you're too stupid to know when somebody is asking for help and when somebody isn't interested to start with. Maybe you should try getting out more, I'd suggest you drink a lot of alcohol to help with that mild case of Depression you're dealing with. Not Aflac's fault you couldn't sell &^%$ to a dung-beetle. Best of luck with your teaching career, hope you're "OPTOMISTIC WAYS" don't rub off on your students.

IDIOT!

Great questions Joe! Let's see, let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am 5'11, 140 lbs and have modeled professionally for several years. I have a brown belt in Karate so I could easily snap you in half for such rude comments. I in fact, do not blow at sales, as I had won trips and was awarded the top sales person month after month for several years. I have been recruited by numerous companies over the years but have chosen to return to teaching at the college level where I can shape young people's minds. As for alcohol, I do not require any to have a good time, but do enjoy it sometimes. As for my education, I am a few steps away from earning my PhD. I am also an accomplished writer and have the credentials to diagnose myself. Alas, sorry Joe, but no depression. I just chose to tell it like it is and it is most unfortunate that you cannot handle it. I can only imagine that you suffer from short man's disease and get your jolly's out of calling someone ugly and up-tight just because they want to tell their personal experience, thus the whole objective of this site. I wanted a career change while I was attending school and tried AFLAC. My name graces many plaques for awards won, so I am sure everyone will agree with me that I know how to sell. Get over yourself.... So, if you are so great, what do you do for a living?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Ira G Katz in Jacksonville, Florida said: Wow. Not only do you not know how to spell, you are rather obnoxious as well.
If you are what AFLAK represents I will not pursue this sales effort. Not everyone wants or can sell. I have never tried this profession but I have been told I could try it. I would NEVER put anyone down or criticize them for any failures. At least they did attempt it. Maybe you should try taking grammer lessons.

Thank you Ira for your comment. I was all AFLAC 100% gung-ho for many years. But after a couple of years I realized that new recruits were essentially sold a pie-in-the-sky story of riches, brainwashed, stripped of any contacts, and then dumped. I am sorry for such a succinct manifesto, but many ex-agents would concur. This forum is open to opinion, which is wonderful. I just wished I had found it before I spent so many precious years to eventually come to a dead-end street. As anyone who has earned a living from commissions knows, business does eventually fall off the books as people move, benefits or job changes, etc. It is obvious that Joe from Oregon is intellectually bankrupt and is unable to voice an opinion that would further warrant my time in responding to. Best wishes to you, Ira, in whatever your future endeavors may be!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Bloomington, Indiana

83 months ago

I frankly don't know why anyone who intends to have only one income would go to AFLAC. It would be a help for those who had the time and another means of support, but that's it.

I'm not going to say AFLAC is a bad company, it's a scam, blah blah...I've read and heard it all before. Although during the interview I feel as though the RSC was not entirely honest about how one makes money at AFLAC...he gave me figures on what an average agent makes, but he did not explicitly say it was an independent contractor position. Bit of a red flag went up, but I figured with the name recognition AFLAC has and their unique product line, I figured I'd give it a go - this was in May.

I am really of mixed opinion about AFLAC's products; I've literally heard the good, the bad, and the ugly from policyholders to insurance professionals. In all fairness, the only competitive edge they have is that the policies pay cash to whoever you want (you, the doctor, hospital, etc.) and usually within the week that one files a claim...other than that AFLAC's policies aren't much better than any other supplemental insurance.

Also, I am not an advocate of their marketing techniques. From a business owner's point of view, how much respect do you think a business owner is going to have for an individual who randomly walks in/calls and tries to ultimately sell them insurance? Virtually nill. This tactic is completely amateur and is inappropriate for the product and today's business climate.

This is to say nothing of their overhiring of agents, lack of any territory thus making it a free-for-all for anybody who's licenced in that state. Also, agents like myself don't even know who's a current client and who is not! I have had more than a handful of current clients who end up even ditching AFLAC because they get so annoyed with the constant influx of agents coming in everyday, usually. All in all, good company but no recommendations here, sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Bloomington, Indiana

83 months ago

(cont. from last post)
The leads I was promised at go are complete rubbish as well - and that's if I even get them. I have lived in Indiana for close to four years now, and many of these leads had not been at that address for a few years!

Even for those businesses/people who are potential clients, AFLAC can be rather frustrating. It's not just current clients who have to endure being knocked up constantly by AFLAC agents, you know....prospects, too.

It seems as though they are completely oblivious as to what their unsavoury sales tactics do to an agent's CREDIBILITY as well as AFLAC's. Since it's commission only, it's only human to be a bit desperate when calling on a prospect, which does show in a presentation and in any interaction with anybody in the company.

If AFLAC is to gain any real credibility in the industry, they need to sod off with these cheap sales tactics and redirect their marketing efforts toward clients contacting AFLAC on their terms instead of depending on the other way round. That's just the way to sell financial products.

In the consumer's mind, cheap tacky sales tactics = ineffective product. Ask anyone who knows the first thing about marketing in the 21st century.

Cheers all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.