Great place to work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 116)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

jr in Austin, Texas

83 months ago

It's a great opportunity if you can stand CONSTANT scrutiny and monitoring and criticism. If not, then don't bother, you'll end up spending more time at the shrink's office than at work! I'm not kidding, this place is HELL if you're not used to a constant pressure sales environment, because no matter what you sell, it's never good enough and you never did it right. Your manager monitors every single call, both audio and visually, then calls you in and shows it to you on his computer while he picks it apart. And then there's the ridiculous kiddie games they play, like giving you balloons to post on your cubical if you sell something, so that if you have a whole bunch of balloons, you get all this praise, while your neighbor who may only have one, is made to feel like ___t! Stupid, idiotic games like that, all day. And yeah, you can transfer after you've been there long enough, but don't think you're gonna get out that easy, because all the operators and all the other employees who have more seniority are going for those jobs, too at the same time! I know what I'm talking about, I worked for Southwestern Bell (SBC, AT&T) for 10 years and I ended up in the customer service position because
surplusconditions dontdoit!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ambition is Critical in Round Rock, Texas

82 months ago

You're right Donald, at the end of the day it is about the bottom-line but there's a change in culture happening where companies are seeing that it is the people that make them differnet from their competition and investment in them by making the work place a group activity, treating employee's as valuable assets and giving them time on the job to be innovative and creative ensures they get the best from this investment, they atract the best people and keep them. Those that don't adapt to this model with eventually go under as they will only atract the lowest skilled workers. It's a model that has seen japaneese companies take over 70% of the world car market.

If you want a good US example here look at Google. The Fortune 100 "best company to work for 2007" - money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2007/snapshots/1.html
oh and they also doubled yearly profit in 2007 on a Quater to Quater basis from 2006 that also doubled from the previous year.

If you want a bad example look at DELL.. see how the corporate culture of piting staff against each other has been destroying the foundation of company for years and is just now showing the signs of serious trouble and possible melt-down.

Companies are just people at the end of the day.. not the buildings they occupy and statements like yours are well meant but only perpetuate an untrusting environment as what you are actually saying is.. "those that work more than others we'll keep, those that don't we'll get rid of...".

As a manager my daily mantra is" Everyone has a part to play, how can we make everyone enjoy their part so they do it better ?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jason23 in Louisville, Kentucky

78 months ago

The pros and cons of being a sales and service representative at AT&T.

Cons: You walk into the building show your badge to the guards desk. Go to your desk 10min till start time, due to you having to sign into 3 or 4 diff systems. You have about 3 min to casually talk to a co worker, asking how was your day yesterday. (meaning how much did you sell?) You then have enough time to take a big sigh, put on your headset and sign in to your big brother box, which then releases the calls. This box not only releases calls to you, AT&T also has it tied in to a clerks desk..which monitors how long you talk, when your not taking a call, if you sign out to go to the restroom, if you signed in to early from break or to late from break. If you are in the restroom for more than 4 min. My office gets on the walkie talkie and announces that So and so has been out for more than 4 min can someone check on them. You take your first call then 2nd and so on. Trying to offer on all calls, weather they are mad and yelling at you are just wanting to pay there bill to reconnect their service because they can barely afford their bill to begin with. It doesn't matter. As we have been told many many many many many times. We are NOT customer service...we are sales. Get them on...if they don't buy get them off. For instance a lady called to have her service connected. All she wanted was basic service. Cust call was dropped due to her cell phone. Rep asked the coach permission to call her back. She said no, because she wasn't worth the time.

If you don't make your numbers, you are reminded of it every hour. If not every 1/2 and hour. These numbers can stress you to the max. Because they grow more just about every month. So if you didn't make it this month. You will have to make up what you didn't get plus the new higher objective next month. This is why people have panic attacks, take nerve pills, get carried out in stretchers.(I'm not joking)...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jason23 in Louisville, Kentucky

78 months ago

Sorry the heading of the above meant to be a day working for AT&T as a sales and service rep.

continued.... Now granted their are people that do hit there numbers. Which for the last few months it's been roughly about 30%. Which it's a sure bet that part of them are either very good wordsmiths, stealing sales, working tons of OT are just simply adding things to peoples lines. Which sad to say is you can't blame them. They have to keep their job, where else can they go making $24 a hour. The money is what draws you in and your stuck.

The coaches have to put on the fakest smile, and act like they care about you. But the majority of them are trying to hold on to their job too. So if your not cutting it, be prepared to start the process of either getting better are getting counting down to your last days. Specially if you just started. New people are the quickest to go. Due to them having to be non-union for a period of time. Funny how that works..
Sad part is, Bellsouth/AT&T used to be a great place to work. Now they could care less about there employees and have a horrible tunnel vision of profit only. disregarding customer service and valuable employees. Just because you get paid well dosen't mean you should be treated like a dirt. Which they try to cover it with balloons and contests for cleaning supplies. Unless you can deal with Extremely HIGH stress levels, tons of mandatory OT. Micro-managed to the up most, and I mean the up most. Then I would recommend looking else where. Because once you get in, and if you make it 6 months. The longer you stay the harder it will be to leave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Private Person in Atlanta, Georgia

77 months ago

No adult needs to be micro-managed to death! People are not robots! Get a clue!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

attworker in Jeffersonville, Indiana

77 months ago

jason23 isnt making this up. i work for at&t. my friend and i had a list of about a 100 people in our division from last march. we counted 60 people who have left the office in one year! i have always hit my numbers until about 5 months ago. all i get are customers complaining about their extremely high bill & how a rep mislead them. when i try to take care of my customer, i'm told i'm wasting time. we actually have a time limit per customer of 7 minutes. no matter what the situation , they expect us to get rid of the customer in that time. when an elderly person calls & tells me they only make $600/mo income and need to set up a basic service, i'm still expected to offer every product even though we have been trained to offer products based on the needs of the customers. my supervisor plugs in to me & literally watches my every move while sitting beside me all day to make sure i'm shoving products down my customers throats. if a customer is trying to remove a product , i have to keep wearing them down until they eventually yell at me to take off the product or hang up. they are then called back to rate me on my performance & of course rate me poor & say i didnt listen. then we get in trouble for getting bad surveys and they make us take a course on how to provide better customer service??? very contradicting! i just hope the customers know that we are only doing what we are told by our supervisors. i have always been ethical & dont "steal" sales & that is why my numbers have gone down. the only way you can stay employed here is to have high sales and never miss a day. there is no such thing as a sick day . no joke. needless to say, i am now looking elsewhere for employment because i refuse to do this to customers. i treat people how i want to be treated and i am really starting to feel bad about what i do for a living. of course management would read this & say that we are in sales & that is what its all about , but they all know deep down we shaft a lot of people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No Reply - Report abuse

noname68 in Royal Oak, Michigan

77 months ago

I have been offered a job at AT&T, My questions is about the limited term, they said the job is only going to be 3yrs but there would be room to move in a different dept. is this so ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Annie2 in Frisco, Texas

76 months ago

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - The head of the top U.S. phone company AT&T Inc (T.N) said on Wednesday it was having trouble finding enough skilled workers to fill all the 5,000 customer service jobs it promised to return to the United States from India.
"We're having trouble finding the numbers that we need with the skills that are required to do these jobs," AT&T Chief Executive Randall Stephenson told a business group in San Antonio, where the company's headquarters is located.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

attworker in Kentucky

76 months ago

i have heard that some of the "contract" people have been hired on as permanent. when i started over 5 years ago , we were temps but after training & they weeded out all the people who they didnt feel were right for the job, they offered the ones who were left (which is very few i hate to say) permanent so i would say you have a good chance. if you can make it through the 1st 6 months which are extremely hard, you should be ok. let me be blunt with you...you can never be late, you can never miss, you will work split shifts & a ton of overtime (most likely 2 to 3 hours a day) & you must hit your #s or they will walk you out the door because they dont play around. its a very hard job & that is why they pay so much because most people dont make it. if you have a family (children, etc) who are a top priority in your life, this job isnt for you. its very hard to work here with children because you cant just up & leave when your child gets sick at school . if you have people to cover you, then great. i'm not trying to sound negative, i'm stating the facts & i want you to make a decision based on the truth before you leave another job which has more freedom.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

noname68 in Royal Oak, Michigan

76 months ago

attworker in Kentucky said: i have heard that some of the "contract" people have been hired on as permanent. when i started over 5 years ago , we were temps but after training & they weeded out all the people who they didnt feel were right for the job, they offered the ones who were left (which is very few i hate to say) permanent so i would say you have a good chance. if you can make it through the 1st 6 months which are extremely hard, you should be ok. let me be blunt with you...you can never be late, you can never miss, you will work split shifts & a ton of overtime (most likely 2 to 3 hours a day) & you must hit your #s or they will walk you out the door because they dont play around. its a very hard job & that is why they pay so much because most people dont make it. if you have a family (children, etc) who are a top priority in your life, this job isnt for you. its very hard to work here with children because you cant just up & leave when your child gets sick at school . if you have people to cover you, then great. i'm not trying to sound negative, i'm stating the facts & i want you to make a decision based on the truth before you leave another job which has more freedom.

Thank You for the info, I will take great care in considering this job offer, I do have children, and I know one of the shifts is till 9 at night and that is hard when you get home get the kids from the sitters.I also am nervous because I would hate to pass up a great job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

S Russell in Snellville, Georgia

76 months ago

I am currently working as a universal sales representative at AT&T in Georgia, and I feel the same way that most people on this board feel. From my observation, most of the people in management are pathological liars. One minute they tell you one thing and the next minute they lie and say they never said it. They constantly tell you to "get out of the customer's pocket" when people are begging you to take things off their line because they can not afford the bill. They promote you to use the "art of words" to creatively distract the customer and convince them they need useless services that they will over pay for. They micro manage you, embarrass you, treat you like you are pre-k student, and try to force you to quit. I have cried several times working there, and I am not the only one. I can honestly say that this is one of the worst jobs ever. I don't mind talking to the customers and helping them solve problems (I actually love that). I also enjoy selling to people who want and need the services, but their way makes it hard for you to do both ethically. They force you to be sales and customer service in 7 minutes. Most of the customers do not even know that they are talking to a sales rep when they are calling the customer service number. The sales representatives are the front line. We are the gateway to get any other department.
Another thing is that you may sell $15,000 worth of products and services in a month but you may only net $6,000 because it is a net sales environment. Working in a net sales environment would be fine if I was only getting charged back for the products that I sold, but I get money taken from me when someone else set up the service and it has been on the account for more than 90 days. That is why when a customer calls in and has had their service for more than 90 days, I have to do everything in my power to distract them from wanting to remove services.
If you think that is bad, we also have to fight other sales reps who

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marilynmonroe in chicago, Illinois

73 months ago

jason23 in Louisville, Kentucky said: Sorry the heading of the above meant to be a day working for AT&T as a sales and service rep.

continued.... Now granted their are people that do hit there numbers. Which for the last few months it's been roughly about 30%. Which it's a sure bet that part of them are either very good wordsmiths, stealing sales, working tons of OT are just simply adding things to peoples lines. Which sad to say is you can't blame them. They have to keep their job, where else can they go making $24 a hour. The money is what draws you in and your stuck.

The coaches have to put on the fakest smile, and act like they care about you. But the majority of them are trying to hold on to their job too. So if your not cutting it, be prepared to start the process of either getting better are getting counting down to your last days. Specially if you just started. New people are the quickest to go. Due to them having to be non-union for a period of time. Funny how that works..
Sad part is, Bellsouth/AT&T used to be a great place to work. Now they could care less about there employees and have a horrible tunnel vision of profit only. disregarding customer service and valuable employees. Just because you get paid well dosen't mean you should be treated like a dirt. Which they try to cover it with balloons and contests for cleaning supplies. Unless you can deal with Extremely HIGH stress levels, tons of mandatory OT. Micro-managed to the up most, and I mean the up most. Then I would recommend looking else where. Because once you get in, and if you make it 6 months. The longer you stay the harder it will be to leave.

You are so right!!! ANYONE OUT THERE CONSIDERING WORKING AS A CSR AT ATT...RUN AWAY FAST! DON'T DO IT!! UNLESS you like lying to people and giving them the shaft left and right. Oh, just for the record....att rates its customers based on length of time the account has been active, an lv1 cust is not worth their time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

JAC in San Antonio, Texas

73 months ago

AT&T is like most American Corporations. They will NOT bring back those jobs because they don't have to pay benefits and its less overhead. Plus the Corporate boys get bigger bonuses. Its called bottom line. If Ed Whitacre was still CEO, it might be believable. I found it interesting that Whitacre is not even on the board as Emeritus. But AT&T doesn't care about anything but bottomline.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shacklesoff.com in Lawrenceville, Georgia

73 months ago

I just quit AT&T effective 7/31/08. It is by far the worst company that I ever worked for. I have worked for Verizon Wireless and they are way , way, better. I made a big mistake when I left Verizon and went to AT&T. AT&T cares nothing about thier customers or employees. The encourage you to lie, they try to run your life by making you work 6 days a week. They are horrible. As a sales associate in the inbound call center, I left home with headaches everyday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

The problem at AT&T is that when getting their numbers and quotas, they forget they are dealing with humans and not robots. They claim they have a tough time getting skilled workers, thats BS. If you have a degree, they don't want to pay anymore than they would a person with no degree. Its not skilled workers they are worried about, its overhead. If you have educated skilled workers, you can't pay bottom of the barrel and maintain personnel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

TR2008 in Augusta, Georgia

71 months ago

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT YOU ARE SAYING. MY POINT IS HOW CAN THEY GET AWAY WITH THE WAY THAT THEY TREAT PEOPLE. YOU REALLY WILL GO CRAZY TRYING TO KEEP A JOB FOR THE MONEY WHILE THEY YELL AND TALK SMACK ABOUT YOU.( I'M TALKING ABOUT THE MANAGERS) I THINK THAT THIS IS ONE OF THE WORST WORST WORST WORST JOBS TO HAVE. THE ONLY WAY THAT YOU MAY SURVIVE WITH THAT COMPANY IS IF YOU SALE YOUR SOUL TO THE DEVIL AND LIE AND TALK FAST TO EVER CUSTOMER ON THE PHONE.P.S LEAVE YOUR MORALS AT THE DOOR!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

S Russell in Snellville, Georgia

71 months ago

Yes, thank God I left AT&T. I was blessed with a teaching job at one of the public schools in Metro Atlanta. Thank God I had a degree and some good test taking skills to change professions. I feel sorry for people who get stuck with nightmarish jobs like the sales position at AT&T.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mel luna in nowhere, California

71 months ago

AT&T is the best job I've ever had. I'm educated and have been in sales for 5 years and I've never had the benefits and the guaranteed pay that I have at ATT. For the people who are reading this post, don't listen to these dorks, they sound like a bunch of whiners and little kids who've never really been out in the working world. Yes, ATT monitors every call you make ... its a little weird. I'm very anti-big brother myself, but it's totally understandable, since ATT *is* an equal opportunity employer, they want to make sure you aren't lazy or inappropriate. Its not a bad company to work for at all. I'm very happy at my job and I only have to work 40 hour weeks, the overtime is entirely voluntary and IT PAYS GREAT!!!!!

SALES IS A TOUGH BUSINESS, GET OVER IT!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

TB in Fort Myers, Florida

71 months ago

I am just trying to get someone to read my resume and qualifictions for their wireless division in my local mall. I can't seem to find a phone number for H.R. I know that there is a kisok in the mall and I know people work for this company but - Hello!!! is anyone out there? What happended to applying for a job the old fashioned way? You know filling out and application with your resume and then speaking to someone right away. Does anyone know a way around this? I have even e-mailed the President of the company and have gotten no respose.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

attworker in Kentucky

71 months ago

mel luna, i'm sorry but your ot comment is way off. i'm not sure what dept you work in but i've worked at at&t (formerly bellsouth) in the sales/service dept for over 6 years . we are getting forced about 2 hours ot every day. anyone new person will most likely have a split shift. that is where you come in & work about 3 hours, leave for 3 hours, then come back & work 4 1/2 more hours. the time where you should be off (in between shifts) is when they will give you about 2 hours ot. you must work minimum of 50 % ot or you will be fired. i'm not telling you to not work at at&t but if you are considering this position you need to know the facts & not have things sugarcoated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shenica in Norcross, Georgia

71 months ago

Well, I have two degrees, and over 15 years of working experience, so my point of view may be different than yours Me luna. I have worked for AT&T's number 1 competitor, and I have worked for AT&T. I can tell you that on a scale of 1-10, AT&T is a 2 (which is not good) in my book compared to the company I was with prior (Verizon Wireless).
Like I said in a prior post, I am extremely happy that I am gone. I am a certified teacher and a real estate agent, so I am still in sales as well as education. I make great money, and I have a better mind frame now that I left the company. I still know a great deal of people who work at AT&T in sales, and they are great sales people. They don't complain about the quota's as much as how they are treated. To me human capital is much more important than financial capital, because if you don't treat your people right you will not continue to profit.

Legal Secretary/Paralegal in San Antonio, Texas

71 months ago

TB in Fort Myers, Florida said: I am just trying to get someone to read my resume and qualifictions for their wireless division in my local mall. I can't seem to find a phone number for H.R. I know that there is a kisok in the mall and I know people work for this company but - Hello!!! is anyone out there? What happended to applying for a job the old fashioned way? You know filling out and application with your resume and then speaking to someone right away. Does anyone know a way around this? I have even e-mailed the President of the company and have gotten no respose.
Thanks

I was just reading at what the pay is in the wireless stores here in San Antonio: $7.91 per hr to $14.95 per hr. To get the top amount, you have to be with AT&T awhile before you get there. I think the starting pay is outrageous. Its just a few cents above minimum wage here in TX. What a joke!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Shenica in Norcross, Georgia said: Well, I have two degrees, and over 15 years of working experience, so my point of view may be different than yours Me luna. I have worked for AT&T's number 1 competitor, and I have worked for AT&T. I can tell you that on a scale of 1-10, AT&T is a 2 (which is not good) in my book compared to the company I was with prior (Verizon Wireless).
Like I said in a prior post, I am extremely happy that I am gone. I am a certified teacher and a real estate agent, so I am still in sales as well as education. I make great money, and I have a better mind frame now that I left the company. I still know a great deal of people who work at AT&T in sales, and they are great sales people. They don't complain about the quota's as much as how they are treated. To me human capital is much more important than financial capital, because if you don't treat your people right you will not continue to profit.

Most of us that started out with AT&T/SBC back in the 1970's have seen how the company has gotten worse since Ed merged with AT&T and now he is no longer there. I was amazed at all the people on antidepressants by the time I retired. All the newbies who get on and think its a wonderful company, I give them 6 mos to a yr and they will be gone. They'll find out soon enough. I was glad to get out a couple of years ago retiring. I had just enough time to get out. Otherwise, I would have had a heart attack by now had I stayed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

THIS IS FOR MEL LUNA. HOW DARE YOU SAY SUCH THINGS! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT PEOPLE HAVE WENT THROUGH MAYBE IN YOUR DIVISION IT MIGHT BE GREAT AND THATS GOOD FOR YOU. I LOVED THE JOB AND THE MONEY,NEVER SAID THAT WAS A PROBLEM! I HATED THE WAY THAT I WAS TREATED AS A PERSON. AND FOR YOUR INFO I HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR A LONG TIME AND WORKED FOR AT&T JUST AS LONG AS YOU HAVE.. YOU ARE THE DORK FOR JUDGING PEOPLE WHEN YOU REALLY DON'T KNOW. ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT ARE THE REASON WHY AT&T WILL CONTINUE TO MISTREAT THE PEOPLE THAT WORK FOR THEM!REALIZE HONEY THAT IN OTHER DIVISIONS OF AT&T THAT THERE ARE ISSUES AND PROBLEMS GOOGLE IT READ ABOUT IT. REALIZE THAT PEOPLE ARE NOT JUST WHINING AS YOU SAY AND THAT THERE MIGHT BE SOME TRUTH TO SOME OF THIS...

71 months ago

TR2008 in Augusta, Georgia said: THIS IS FOR MEL LUNA. HOW DARE YOU SAY SUCH THINGS! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT PEOPLE HAVE WENT THROUGH MAYBE IN YOUR DIVISION IT MIGHT BE GREAT AND THATS GOOD FOR YOU. I LOVED THE JOB AND THE MONEY,NEVER SAID THAT WAS A PROBLEM! I HATED THE WAY THAT I WAS TREATED AS A PERSON. AND FOR YOUR INFO I HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR A LONG TIME AND WORKED FOR AT&T JUST AS LONG AS YOU HAVE.. YOU ARE THE DORK FOR JUDGING PEOPLE WHEN YOU REALLY DON'T KNOW. ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT ARE THE REASON WHY AT&T WILL CONTINUE TO MISTREAT THE PEOPLE THAT WORK FOR THEM!REALIZE HONEY THAT IN OTHER DIVISIONS OF AT&T THAT THERE ARE ISSUES AND PROBLEMS GOOGLE IT READ ABOUT IT. REALIZE THAT PEOPLE ARE NOT JUST WHINING AS YOU SAY AND THAT THERE MIGHT BE SOME TRUTH TO SOME OF THIS...

TR: don't let what was said get to you. Mel Luna's day will come sooner or later. Then he will know what we all know.

71 months ago

JAC in San Antonio, Texas said: TR: don't let what was said get to you. Mel Luna's day will come sooner or later. Then he will know what we all know.

I JUST REALIZED THAT WHERE MEL LUNA IS FROM IS AT&T LEGACY OR THE OLD AT&T.. ANYWHERE THAT WAS BELLSOUTH AND SWITCHED TO AT&T ARE THE ONES THAT ARE GOING THRU HELL.. AT&T LEGACY DOESN'T HAVE THE OBJECTIVES OR QUOTAS OR MANDATORY OVER-TIME THAT THE PEOPLE THAT GOT SWITCHED FROM BELLSOUTH TO AT&T HAVE. THATS THE DIFFERENCE, PLUS NINE TIMES OUT OF TEN MEL LUNA PROBABLY DOESN'T EVEN GET THE KIND OF PAY THAT THE ORIGINAL BELLSOUTH PEOPLE GET. THATS WHY THEY PUT US THRU HELL BUT ITS STILL NOT JUSTIFIED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

TR2008 in Augusta, Georgia said: I JUST REALIZED THAT WHERE MEL LUNA IS FROM IS AT&T LEGACY OR THE OLD AT&T.. ANYWHERE THAT WAS BELLSOUTH AND SWITCHED TO AT&T ARE THE ONES THAT ARE GOING THRU HELL.. AT&T LEGACY DOESN'T HAVE THE OBJECTIVES OR QUOTAS OR MANDATORY OVER-TIME THAT THE PEOPLE THAT GOT SWITCHED FROM BELLSOUTH TO AT&T HAVE. THATS THE DIFFERENCE, PLUS NINE TIMES OUT OF TEN MEL LUNA PROBABLY DOESN'T EVEN GET THE KIND OF PAY THAT THE ORIGINAL BELLSOUTH PEOPLE GET. THATS WHY THEY PUT US THRU HELL BUT ITS STILL NOT JUSTIFIED.

The name "Legacy" is just a way to separate landline products from non-tariffed items such as Internet, Data, etc.

AT&T rules all the old Baby Bells that were merged back in. I know for a fact Legacy has the same rules and torture as non-Legacy employees. So "its only Legacy employees" don't hunt. Try again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

JAC in San Antonio, Texas said: The name "Legacy" is just a way to separate landline products from non-tariffed items such as Internet, Data, etc.

AT&T rules all the old Baby Bells that were merged back in. I know for a fact Legacy has the same rules and torture as non-Legacy employees. So "its only Legacy employees" don't hunt. Try again.

ok jac u win. but the point i was trying to get across was that people that were with at&t b4 the merge i thought were not put to the same standards as lets say for example georgia.. the quota when i left was like 8000.00$ so are you telling me that at&t requires those same high quotas to everyone?

71 months ago

TR2008 in Augusta, Georgia said: ok jac u win. but the point i was trying to get across was that people that were with at&t b4 the merge i thought were not put to the same standards as lets say for example georgia.. the quota when i left was like 8000.00$ so are you telling me that at&t requires those same high quotas to everyone?

Quotas have and always be a rule with AT&T. Just like the old days, they still fudge on totals and the like. Whatever way they can see more numbers, they will. Quotas were with AT&T before the Baby Bells were spun off. Thats the way they do business. Now its worse because they are slowly moving back as a monopoly. Plus in the areas where they still have unions, they want to break them so they and they alone can keep pay at whatever they want for as long as they want. They are going to cut benefits, vacations, etc.

People hate Unions. But I can tell you, if there was no Union, there wouldn't be any benefits, etc. They would go with minimum wage, no credit that a person has a degree, no transfer plan to move somewhere else or in another job title. Just ask employees with Martin Marietta, Walmart, Exxon, etc.

datboiwes in Macon, Georgia

71 months ago

was offered a job by AT&T about a week ago. I recieved a packet w/ instructions to take a drug test and everything. I am a little worried about my background check. I have a misdemeandor on there from about two years ago, that has yet to be expunged. The charge has been dismissed, however. Will they write me off due to this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shenica in Snellville, Georgia

71 months ago

JAC in San Antonio, Texas said: Most of us that started out with AT&T/SBC back in the 1970's have seen how the company has gotten worse since Ed merged with AT&T and now he is no longer there. I was amazed at all the people on antidepressants by the time I retired. All the newbies who get on and think its a wonderful company, I give them 6 mos to a yr and they will be gone. They'll find out soon enough. I was glad to get out a couple of years ago retiring. I had just enough time to get out. Otherwise, I would have had a heart attack by now had I stayed.

I only stayed there 10 months, so you are totally correct. I also know people who retired and came back. They were overwhelmed and on the verge of sickness because of the stress, and they too eventually left. 80% of the people that I know that work for AT&T are not satisfied. They are only there because of the benefits and the money is decent. Other than that, a great deal of people stay on anti-depressants like you said. I even have a friend who used to be a Call Center Manager, who left because he was having chest pains each day of the week because of the enormous stress. It is unreal. I know people who would rather work at McDonald's before they go back to AT&T.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

crissyL in Texas

71 months ago

HEY, I AM SOOOOO GLAD THAT I TOOK THE TIME TO READ ALL OF THESE POSTS ABOUT AT&T....I HAVE AN INTERVIEW SCHEDULED NEXT WEEK, FOR A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT A CSR POSITION WITHIN THE COMPANY??? IS IT AS BAD AS BEING A SALES PERSON??? I HOPE NOT!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

crissyL in Texas said: HEY, I AM SOOOOO GLAD THAT I TOOK THE TIME TO READ ALL OF THESE POSTS ABOUT AT&T....I HAVE AN INTERVIEW SCHEDULED NEXT WEEK, FOR A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT A CSR POSITION WITHIN THE COMPANY??? IS IT AS BAD AS BEING A SALES PERSON??? I HOPE NOT!!!!

A customer service rep is sales. When I started with the company in 2003 I applied for customer service but as soon as we were in orientation they than advised that this is a sales job. It has ALWAYS been sales from the beginning now granted it may be a little different maybe in texas I am not sure. But in georgia they required a quota for u to reach and exceed every month and it was extremely high. When and if you go to the interview ask them is there a revenue that is required. They may use other words to make you think that the job is not into sales just be mindful and careful. Had someone told me about the company before I got in I maybe would have thought twice. Granted the money is good but it was a very very stressful situation. If you do decide to work there live below your means. Meaning that don't go out and buy high price things and place yourself in debt right away. I've seen people buy new cars & houses thinking that they had a secure job and before they new it they were terminated! Another word to the wise save as much of that money as you can because eventually a rainy day will come..God bless you in what ever decision you decide to make I know the job market is not good right now and believe me its hard to get a decent job these days. Have a pleasant day and good luck in any decision that you make.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

The CSR job has been a sales job since the 1970's. However, they used to be universal (billing, sales, etc), now they are sales. Thats the way it has always been since before AT&T divested the Baby Bells back in 1983. Now that AT&T is the mother company again, nothing has changed other then conditions are getting worse.

attworker in florida in ocala, Florida

71 months ago

Thought our call center was the only one using the "BALLOON" reward recognition system and we have to make our "stats" or risk getting walked out. We also gets points for missing work even if it is unavoidable, like when a hurricane or tropical storm is coming our way or is already in your area, we are told to report to work or you"ll get a point. Once you have a certain amount of points your fired. In 2004 Hurricane Charley was forecasted to hit us. My friend next to me got a call from another call center rep, when that person asked where my friend was located the surprised rep stated they were being asked to do overtime because they were told we were closed because of the storm. Our call center not only has a hard time keeping rep's but also keeping managers. We have lost a lot of good people due to rules that sometimes change daily. You are constantly told that other call centers are making their numbers. Obviously seeing the comments from rep's here we are being lied to. What a surprise. Earlier this year a tenured rep became so frustrated with a coaching about his performance, that he ended up with a heart attack that killed him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

CCR I in Atwater, California

71 months ago

I have been with AT&T for a little over 3 months and it is BY FAR, the WORST job that I have ever had! One of the tech managers at the call center that I worked for died of a heart attack.

I can deal with customers calling up and yelling and cussing. Honestly, I sympathize with the customers as AT&T treats it's customers the same way that it treats it's employees.

While working there, I encountered an overwhelming number of politics with managers being extremely unprofessional. There seems to be this whole "Selling the Dream" Psychological mumbo jumbo that the management pushes on their employees from Day 1 that "You Too Can Become an AT&T Manager!" but based on what I've seen it's about who you know, who you party with, and who you sleep with in the building.

When you walk in that door, you sell your soul to AT&T. Once you are there and in training, they can place you in ANY department based on the "needs of the business". They also require Mandatory overtime during certain events AND change your schedule as little as 2 days in advance without as much as a "Sorry for the Inconvenience".

The managers there are some of the most unprofessional that I have ever encountered and seem to get some type of sadistic pleasure in lying to your face! The Union is a joke and just seem to take your money but do very little to improve the work enviornment in return.

If anyone is considering working for AT&T, good luck with your decision but please be aware of what you are getting yourself into!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

TR2008 in Georgia

71 months ago

CCR I in Atwater, California said: I have been with AT&T for a little over 3 months and it is BY FAR, the WORST job that I have ever had! One of the tech managers at the call center that I worked for died of a heart attack.

I can deal with customers calling up and yelling and cussing. Honestly, I sympathize with the customers as AT&T treats it's customers the same way that it treats it's employees.

While working there, I encountered an overwhelming number of politics with managers being extremely unprofessional. There seems to be this whole "Selling the Dream" Psychological mumbo jumbo that the management pushes on their employees from Day 1 that "You Too Can Become an AT&T Manager!" but based on what I've seen it's about who you know, who you party with, and who you sleep with in the building.

When you walk in that door, you sell your soul to AT&T. Once you are there and in training, they can place you in ANY department based on the "needs of the business". They also require Mandatory overtime during certain events AND change your schedule as little as 2 days in advance without as much as a "Sorry for the Inconvenience".

The managers there are some of the most unprofessional that I have ever encountered and seem to get some type of sadistic pleasure in lying to your face! The Union is a joke and just seem to take your money but do very little to improve the work enviornment in return.

If anyone is considering working for AT&T, good luck with your decision but please be aware of what you are getting yourself into!

It seems that AT&T doesn't care about the professional acts that their so call managers carry. I even talked to a ex-Coach the other day that advised me that her boss would tell her to write fake notations on reps to cover herself if the time came that the rep had to be fired.. That in itself is crazy but they get away with it..And that gives them leverage should the rep try to come back.

Johny in Miami, Florida

71 months ago

I was on the process to get a Job as a Bilingual service Rep with ATT,after a test two weeks ago and a face to face interview this week ,Today I was informed by email that I Didn't make it. Apparently the face to face interview didn't go well for me,cause the lady at HR told me that, but didn't give more details.
I don't know if it was something I said,or something I didn't say.
The guy who conducted the interview wasn't very friendly ,but was ready and fast to tell me all the things that can get me fired in case I get the job.
Being late,missing a day,Not working mandatory Over time,and not reaching the goals.
I was so interested in this job,especially cause I heard they make good money, but I think "things happen for a reason" maybe I wasn't the person who can deal with all the stress and pressure that is required for the position and also because I have plans to go back to college and I am not sure if was able to do it working this position schedules.
I will keep looking.

71 months ago

Johny in Miami, Florida said: I was on the process to get a Job as a Bilingual service Rep with ATT,after a test two weeks ago and a face to face interview this week ,Today I was informed by email that I Didn't make it. Apparently the face to face interview didn't go well for me,cause the lady at HR told me that, but didn't give more details.
I don't know if it was something I said,or something I didn't say.
The guy who conducted the interview wasn't very friendly ,but was ready and fast to tell me all the things that can get me fired in case I get the job.
Being late,missing a day,Not working mandatory Over time,and not reaching the goals.
I was so interested in this job,especially cause I heard they make good money, but I think "things happen for a reason" maybe I wasn't the person who can deal with all the stress and pressure that is required for the position and also because I have plans to go back to college and I am not sure if was able to do it working this position schedules.
I will keep looking.

Consider yourself blessed. For those of us who stayed and worked under the unnecessary stress and abuse, our health is paying for it now. I've seen young people have strokes and heart attacks on the job and it isn't worth it. I even watched a friend die in the office. Those that didn't have strokes or heart attacks, are on antidepressants...just to cope each day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Justmaintaining in Atlanta, Georgia

70 months ago

Hello to everyone and please donot reply back with a negative comment in reply to what I'm about to say. I was interviewed with AT&T a week ago and was given very detailed information about the Sales Associate position. During that interview I was like Whoah this not an easy job can I really do this if offered a position. I think what is happening is the interviewer may be leading people on and just stressing how much money that can be made but not what it takes to make the money. I'm glad that I was interviewed by a training manager because she made it very clear to me It Was Not Going To Be Easy and yes you will be micro-managed, expected to make sales, new hires would work split shift and if you were family oriented it may not be the place to be. I appreciated the interviewer honesty and if all the interviewers would do that maybe the turn around wouldn't be as bad because you already have an idea the job is going to be stressful. I don't agree with being disloyal to employees and especially customers and the training manager during my interview stated to me she does not agree with employees being disloyal to their customer. The manager stated to me that if a customer call back and complain about products added without customer knowledge, the recording tape would be pulled and she would terminated that employee if it proves of dishonesty. Yes, is she one manager out of many working for AT&T that would be fair to her employee. I said alllllllllll of this to say if everyone on board would be honest upfront with applicants maybe there would not be as many negative comments shown on this site. I wish everybody well and hope that we all make wise decisions and research the comapany you are applying for before accepting an offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

KC Fan in California

70 months ago

Justmaintaining: this interviewer was dead on about the culture and expectations of AT&T. I have been a manager at AT&T for almost 20 years and she is absolutely correct. If you have young kids and a spouse that stays home or has a part-time job, then it could work. If you are honest, hardworking and don't expect anything from a company other than a paycheck, then it could work. If you don't mind being micro-managed and given construction criticism on a daily basis, then it could work. Bottom line, the pay is decent, the hours can be long (overtime is mandatory sometimes), the benefits are good for non-management employees, there is tuition reimbursement if you want to go back to school and have the time to do so. If you decide to accept the job, just go in with a plan. Plan to stay there 3-5 years, move around to different departments, and then move on. AT&T trains it's employees well and other companies know that, so you would be very valuable once you leave the company. Keep in mind, there are no benefits (in most states) for 1st 6 months, you cannot call in sick or take vacation for 1st months, and with gas prices being so high - a split shift may be a problem if you live far away. Good luck and go for it if you can deal with the criteria the interviewer gave you because she is totally correct!!!

70 months ago

Hey KC Fan in Cali...thank you for replying and understanding my comment. I may have been lucky and got a honest interviewer that day and I'm so glad. I thought 7 mins to handle a call is crazy, but during my interview I was given several ways to do that without being rude and disloyal. I was like whoah this lady is awesome because she took the time to show me the good and the bad of the agency. I had a very good interview and was told I was selected but I'm not excited until I get my offer package...lol! I do live far, but will make a change after training to make sure it's really for me. KC FAN have you heard of being told during the interview you're selected pending drug test or I should wait until the package arrives. I was also told the background was done prior to my interview...is that possible? I'm good no criminal acts and drugs...lol! Thanks Again KC FAn and I will keep you posted.
Justmaintaining in Atlanta!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

KC Fan I know we're in different time zones but do you know the time of the split shift. The office hours are 8am-7pm Mon-Sat and I didn't clarify if new hires work Saturdays :) do you know in general the schedule after class. Okay I'll give you a chance to answer my other million questions in my prior comment...lol! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!

KC Fan in California

70 months ago

Justmaintaining in Atlanta, Georgia said: KC Fan I know we're in different time zones but do you know the time of the split shift. The office hours are 8am-7pm Mon-Sat and I didn't clarify if new hires work Saturdays :) do you know in general the schedule after class. Okay I'll give you a chance to answer my other million questions in my prior comment...lol! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!

yes...new hires work on Saturday. It goes by seniority, so you will be working more Saturdays than others. You may work 8am-12pm, then come back the same day and work 3-7pm. They usually try not to do this more than a week at a time...but it's the "needs of the business" that prevail. You also can work 11am-7pm Mon-Wed, then Fri-Sat. So, for that week your days off will be Thurs & Sunday. Just coming out of class, they may have you working a more "traditional" schedule so you can "mirror" (sit with) a more experienced rep.(that could be 8am-5pm with an hour lunch). Also any shift that runs after 6pm, you get nightime differential which used to be 10% more pay, but I'm not sure what it is now. For mandatory overtime, you get a meal allowance if you work 2 or more hours after your shift (used to be $9). this is a closed shop, so you will be paying union dues even if you don't join the union (i recommend you do join)...this is a % of your salary...could be $28-42 per month. Any questions you have I will be happy to answer. AT&T has been both good to me and not so good...I will answer as honestly as I possibly can.

70 months ago

KC FAN have you heard of being told during the interview you're selected pending drug test because I was told by the interviewer. Do you think I should wait until the package arrives and that's my confirmation. I was also told the background was done prior to my interview...is that possible? I'm good no criminal acts and drugs...lol! Thanks Again KC FAn and I will keep you posted. I appreciate you again for responding back and I willnot bug you forever....lol! I'm just trying to get confirmation of what I was told during my interview. Again, my interviewer was great as far as sharing both the good and some what bad of the agency. KC Fan is the payroll weekly or bi-weekly and what amount during training to expect and afterwards. I know you don't know the exactpay and I will not hold you to it if it's far off.....lol!!!! You must be a cool manager yourself.....lol! I say that because you're taking the time to help me out as much as you can and that's really nice of you.....Thanks!!!!
Justmaintaining in Atlanta
Justmaintaining in Atlanta!

KC Fan in California

70 months ago

Justmaintaining in Atlanta - sorry, my computer has been down for the past few days. This is good news! They can run a background check as soon as you complete the application, so it is possible they did it prior to the interview. The drug screening is the next step. You should get info soon to go to a local clinic for that. Don't give your current job notice until you receive the offical package/offer letter and accept it. There are different wage steps within your salary grade. Experienced sales/customer associates typically start at one or two levels below top pay. They may try to start you at a low step, but try to negotiate...if you have a degree or any college experience, years of sales experience, supervisory experience...that all counts as "wage credits". Not sure what the scale is for Georgia, but Cali is about $11-12(step 1)to $16-18 (step 9)per hour. You get a raise every 6 months until you reach top pay. There are bonuses but that is negotiated differently per your local union. The paycheck is every 2 weeks. Your vacation days and benefits kick in after 6 months. This is a closed shop, so they will take union dues. I recommend joining the union so you know your rights, but be prepared that there may be a strike next year. It's no problem...happy to help. Please keep me posted and good luck! Sound like you got it.

70 months ago

Welcome back KC....lol! Thanks for the information and hopefully I get a response this week. I was interviewed by the actual training manager and again she was great, because she didn't sugar coat things. My concern is even though verbally she stated she was going to forward me to the next step is that just a pool of other candidates and then a selection. I didn't get the form for the drug screening and that's why I'm like um maybe I didn't get selected. I was given a direct number to the staffing manager in Tenn Dilly and I left a verbal message and also the contact person forward my e-mail to Dilly. Anyway, not trying to bug you about this, it's just I'm not happy with my current job. Thanks KC and I'm always online...lol! Up allllllll nite!!!

TR2008 in Georgia

70 months ago

Justmaintaining in Atlanta, Georgia said: Welcome back KC....lol! Thanks for the information and hopefully I get a response this week. I was interviewed by the actual training manager and again she was great, because she didn't sugar coat things. My concern is even though verbally she stated she was going to forward me to the next step is that just a pool of other candidates and then a selection. I didn't get the form for the drug screening and that's why I'm like um maybe I didn't get selected. I was given a direct number to the staffing manager in Tenn Dilly and I left a verbal message and also the contact person forward my e-mail to Dilly. Anyway, not trying to bug you about this, it's just I'm not happy with my current job. Thanks KC and I'm always online...lol! Up allllllll nite!!!

I WAS A GEORGIA EMPLOYEE OF AT&T AND IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE THE JOB. HAVE FAITH IF ITS MEANT TO BE AND IN YOUR CARDS IT WILL COME. I TRY TO STAY POSITIVE AT TIMES WHEN LOOKING FOR A JOB ITS HARD WITH THE WAY THAT THE ECONOMY IS NOW AND THE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IN GEORGIA IS GOING UP HIGHER AND HIGHER.. CLAIM IT AND IF ITS MEANT TO BE IT WILL COME.. THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY IS ALWAYS HAVE A BACK UP PLAN .. I'M NOT AGAINST AT&T JUST THE WAY I WAS TREATED AS A PERSON BEFORE AND AFTER HAVING A BABY..BEST LUCK TO YOU..

70 months ago

Thanks TR2008 in Georgia for the encouragement, I just never known an agency to take this long to say yea or no. You are so right about having faith because that's what I've been living with for a long time. I was just concerned about it being the second week and no response. I'm sure it will not be an easy job to do but I need a change and no change is not always good but a girl tied...not tired...lol! Is it normal to be contacted the week prior to training? Thanks!

TR2008 in Georgia

70 months ago

Justmaintaining in Atlanta, Georgia said: Thanks TR2008 in Georgia for the encouragement, I just never known an agency to take this long to say yea or no. You are so right about having faith because that's what I've been living with for a long time. I was just concerned about it being the second week and no response. I'm sure it will not be an easy job to do but I need a change and no change is not always good but a girl tied...not tired...lol! Is it normal to be contacted the week prior to training? Thanks!

Granted I was there for 5 years.. Back when I took that test and had the interview, I remember while waiting on them to call me back I ended up getting a job at Home depot for about six months. Yes it took them that long it just depends on what the demands of the business is.. AT&T will test and interview people way before they even need people...Thats because their turn over rate is very high( turnover meaning they fire a lot of people as they hire them and alot of people quit because of the stress of how demanding they are)But one thing that I like that I read from your interview is that that the coach was honest with you and I did not get that when I had my interview..Than first day in orientation was when they told the truth.. I was like a deer caught in headlights.Being that I wanted to work there for the money and benefits I took the job..If I had to do it all over maybe I would, but please when and if you get the job don't get caught up save as much of that money as you can, cause a rainy day will always come when you least expect it.. believe me I know! Again I have a NEW BABY and I have been gone from AT&T for about 6 months and I still have not been able to get a halfway good job!! I was lucky a lil cause I save some money in 401k and a savings account and I had a certificate of deposit with my bank. Between that and unemployment I barely get by... That being said please don't get discuraged just make sure you don't get caught up!!

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.