Getting Hired at AT&T - My Story

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 62)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Alex in Sanford, Florida

44 months ago

When he/she asks you to describe past situations you’ve been in, try to focus on situations relating to sales or customer service. Focus on how you made money for your previous employers. The manager your speaking with now speaks to hundreds of candidates a week, and he/she is the one who will decide whether to move you on in the process. If you have any unique sales strategies, now is the time to mention it!
On December 1st, I went to the store location I was applying too, and the manager brought me to the back for about a 90 minute interview. This covered everything from "Sell me this phone" to "Why do you want to work for AT&T?". It was a very laid back interview, and the manager explained to me the commission structure, and what a day-in-the-life of a consultant will be. She went over my resume, and asked how my experience from each past position would help me in my job at AT&T. Remember, be sure to talk about how you made money for your previous employers. The store manager is hiring you to make them money. After about 90 minutes, she had me shadow another consultant for a few minutes, to help me understand the job. I asked him some questions, and watched him handle customers. Afterwards, the manager said I would be hearing back from the HR recruiter in a few days, to find out whether I got the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Sanford, Florida

44 months ago

I'll do my best to answer your questions:

I am currently doing college online for criminal justice, so am currently under the "Some College" category. My previous work experience was running my own event production company for several years, which I made sure to highlight the sales aspect of that, selling shows to potential clients. I also had worked at an office supply store for a few years, which happened to sell Sprint phones. I was sales leader for several months at that store, so that did help me.

The interview questions from the HR regional manger were pretty much asking me to describe various customer situations I've experienced in the past. Like "Tell me a time you overcame a customers objections, to close a sale". Pretty much assessing my ability to deal with customers. Nothing complicated.

The commission I was given was if you hit 100% of goal. Now from what the consultants I've spoken with have told me, they usually are 120-160% of goal, sometimes even higher. And if you go above 100% of goal, you get paid commission at a higher level. It is all ways to complicated for me, and I am still trying to learn how it all works. But from what I've heard, 100% of goal is the minimum of what you should be expecting to earn, and hopefully you can sell above that. It incredibly complicated, so I'd love if somebody else could fill me in on that.

I was told I'll receive $150 credit to purchase shirts from the AT&T Online employee store, button ups/polo shirts etc. Then you wear kahkis/dress pants etc. that you pay for as well. I'm not sure on the dress code specifics. I'll be receiving a company phone, with unlimited everything, to use as a demo phone. I'll receive that after training from my store manager. After 60 days, I'll be able to use an Employee Rate Plan for up to 2 free personal lines, with 1000 mins for the first, and 500 mins for the second. Don't have all the details on that yet though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Unknown in Santa Maria, California

36 months ago

Quick question? I recently had gotten a ticket for pedestrian with open container. Will that affect me? I'm just wait for my call you get my background and drug test? Help pleas!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

TahyNik in Toledo, Ohio

35 months ago

Tanya in Texas City, Texas said: What kind of questions do they ask at the ATT interview? Ive got a job interview next week at the corporate office, and I'm nervous as hell, I just got a call today and I'm trying to prepare I really want this job.

it really is just general questions. why at&t, describe a time when you had to sell to a customer that didn't want to buy, describe a time when you had an irate customer, describe a time when you were rejected (in the work place) and how you dealt with it, name your biggest flaw.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stevenm in Abilene, Texas

35 months ago

Justin JP said: AT&T only check for 5-7 years.

Thanks! Do they say up front how many years or is it open ended...like have you ever been convicted?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Justin JP

35 months ago

stevenm in Abilene, Texas said: Thanks! Do they say up front how many years or is it open ended...like have you ever been convicted?

My hiring manager while giving me her speech for my contingent offer, she made it clear they were only doing a 7 year check. In fact on the HireRight report it was reported to be a 7 year check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

RichardZ in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

Last Thursday I had my RJP (2nd interview) with the store manager, assistant manager and the I believe district manager. I think it went very well and right before I left the store manager told me I'd hear back from the staffing manager in a day or two..well today is day two and still nothing. Should I have heard something by now if I was selected?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

deoxide2012 in Hacienda Heights, California

35 months ago

stevenm in Abilene, Texas said: Thanks! Do they say up front how many years or is it open ended...like have you ever been convicted?

It is open ended. "Have you EVER been convicted of ANY crime including misdemeanors or felonies?" exact quote.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Blessedtofindajob in Houston, Texas

34 months ago

jbrian in Crestview, Florida said: The HR Lady told me they are only interested in verifying your start and end dates. They are also conducting a full background check including criminal and driving history.

Thanks!! for ALL provided info..but it really scares the HELL out of a person (ME). I'm a bit confused but mainly concern in the same token. Is Hireright the devils' advocate? The position that I'm going for is CSR (customer service rep.) I took the assessment test,,,passed it (so very HAPPY in these economic times to get any attention from a major company like AT&T). I just got a call today for my one on one interview (after reading all the comments..I'm terrified now!) Can you/anyone email me @ Shuniah@yahoo.com because I have a lot of questions that I need to ask b4 going on my interview on Fri. 10.19.2012 @ 1:00pm...someone, please respond!!! by contacting me at the provided email address. Thank-You in ADVANCE....shaking in my boots!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

attsoon in Florida

34 months ago

I am excited I am awaiting final decision

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

attsoon in Florida

34 months ago

update: contingent offer! signed documents online, drug test done, waiting for background check to be complete. I know they called some of my past employers. almost ready....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

attsoon in Florida

34 months ago

passed! waiting on training day availability.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

Ok, HireRight has completed their portion and forwarded the results to AT&T and myself. How long should it be now til AT&T contacts me again with more info as to travel arrangements and hotel info? I'm scheduled to start training on November 5 but was kinda expecting some more info by now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

attsoon in Florida

34 months ago

Done deal! start training the 5th of Nov in Lafayette...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

attsoon in Florida

34 months ago

Richard in Williamsport, Pennsylvania said: Ok, HireRight has completed their portion and forwarded the results to AT&T and myself. How long should it be now til AT&T contacts me again with more info as to travel arrangements and hotel info? I'm scheduled to start training on November 5 but was kinda expecting some more info by now.

The hiring manager should contact you or do it like I did... I called him and he will say: Congratulations! he will probably call you later with the date to leave for training (which I am guessing he did, since you know the date already) and 48 hours before departure the onboard team will call you with all the information in order to travel, plus dress code, $$$ for food, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

attsoon in Florida

34 months ago

I have to add that hireright did a fabulous job completing their research in just 2 days. If you have nothing to hide in your background, everything is fine with your employers there is no need to fear the process with this company. I dont have any complains with the hiring manager or hireright.

Richard in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

Got the phone call from my new store manager yesterday saying welcome and to fill me in on little things such as what to expect in the upcoming days in training, also got a call today from the staffing manager basically saying the same thing. Start training on November 5 near Philly, PA..VERY EXCITED!!!

attsoon in Florida

34 months ago

I received a call from the AT&T Onboarding Team on Friday... excited to start training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daneixa in Orlando, Florida

34 months ago

attsoon in Florida said: I received a call from the AT&T Onboarding Team on Friday... excited to start training.

Congratulations! Where will you be training?

nsedwards06 in Warner Robins, Georgia

34 months ago

attsoon in Florida said: Lafayette, Louisiana since they could not find me a place in Florida for November.

Attsoon, I had my first face-to-face interview on Friday, what else can I expect? The interview seem to have went well and my friend that i just found out worked there yesterday said that they in viewed only about 4 or 5 people so I am hoping there's a good chance I am selected.

nsedwards06 in Warner Robins, Georgia

34 months ago

attsoon in Florida said: Please read the first post which is really a good one.

Hey I got my contingent offer today! I'm super excited. Here's how my hiring process went... I did my online application on Oct 17, did a phone interview Oct 25, Face-to-Face interview on Oct 26, contingent offer on Nov 8. I start training Dec 3, as long as all my hireright stuff is done on time. My face-to-face interview was pretty cool and laid back. I met with the store manager and the area manager. They told me what to expect as Retail Sales Consultant, showed me around the store, etc. Pretty smooth. The process seems to take a few weeks and the background check is no joke. I'll continue to update!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jade in Sterling Heights, Michigan

33 months ago

I applied for AT&T Full Time Sales Support Rep on Saturday, November 10th, 2012. On Monday, November 12th, 2012 I received an email stating to call the Hiring Manager if I was still interested in the position. I called them immediately and was asked when I could do an interview. I was scheduled for an interview that Wednesday, November 14th with another Hiring Manager. He asked general questions and how did I deal with rude customers and so on and so forth. It ended well. He told me within the next 2 weeks I would receive a phone call for a 2nd interview. The very next day I received said phone call to come in that day which was Thursday, November 15th for my 2nd interview. This was a more formal interview, she wanted to get to know me and things like that. The next week on Tuesday, November 20th I received an email to fill out my Tax Credit information. Being that it was the Thanksgiving holiday I heard nothing. But today, Monday, November 26th, 2012 I was offered the job. I start January 14th, 2012 and training will be held in Chicago for 3 weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Job Seeker in Arlington, Texas

31 months ago

Shiggity42 in unknown, California said: Now I know SOME of the people with the Hireright horror stories weren't up front and honest with their info. I have a start date a whole moth from today, Feb 6th 2012. So, if you're looking for employment that starts right away, don't go with Att. Or find another job while you go through the Att process. My whole process started from the day I submitted my resume on 10.19.2011 all the way to my actual start date of Feb. 6th 2012. I hope my info will help you folks and i'm very happy and excited about starting my 4 week training. Anybody with infer on training please respond with all of the info you can. Anyone has questions for me, please feel free to ask. I check my email all of the time.

Did your misdemeanor convitions show up on the hireright check? Did you get the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

starlight1987 in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

28 months ago

Did anyone deal with a Tina from AT&T's employment office? If so, did it seem like she had a lazy approach to the hiring/background process? I mean if she calls you, and for some reason you miss the call, that's it for speaking to her for the rest of the day. She called me on Friday morning, I missed the call, she left a voice mail to say that I cleared the background check, but because one of my dates of employment were off by 3 months, it may effect my pay rate. I called her back, and she didn't answer, I left a message, she never returned my call. I even called her 2-3 more times that day, still nothing. Is it me, or is that highly unprofessional? If any of you have worked with her, or someone similar, please, I need some advice. I don't wanna blow up her phone because I know I'm not the only person she's dealing with. I also know that this is the only training class, so she has to concentrate on all of us because we all have to be cleared before we start. Please help!!!

Shelly in Jax in Jacksonville, Florida

26 months ago

Hey Guys,

So i'm going through the AT&T hiring process and so far I've had a phone interview and a face-to-face with the store manager. He said that he was set on hiring me but I would have to wait for the official offer over the phone through HR. I received an e-mail this morning asking for my SSN and my tax survey. Is this a good sign? they also said that I have to under go a back round check, I have nothing to hide but I only put the Jobs on my resume that I thought would be relevant to the Job I was applying for CSR, The phone numbers and dates are right though. Also I put in my AT&T resume that I have My A.S degree because i'll be done at the end of this term. I mentioned this to my hiring manager and the HR rep. Is this going to be a problem?

the_Eagle_in_Newnan in Newnan, Georgia

26 months ago

I start my orientation on July 12th.Have not gotten the package as of yet ,was told I'll have by Wed.My question is, How does the orientation go? and..Since I have a start date set and amount I'll make during training for 9 wks..does that mean I'm in?

tryingintexas in Houston, Texas

26 months ago

Shelly they will verify whether you have the degree or not. It takes a few weeks for schools to report your degree information to the educational clearinghouse as well, so I don't know what will happen. My suggestion is for you to bring proof or supply it to AT&T, as the background checking company can only access certain information from universities and junior colleges. Otherwise, I don't think they can count it for your final pay offer. Try asking your recruiter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I finally received my conditional offer and confirmation of my background check, everything came back clean as a whistle :) To anyone out there that is going through the AT&T hiring process, these are the things you should look our for:

One: NEVER EVER B.S your Resume, They WILL find out. Had a friend of mine go through that nightmare and the company (not AT&T) rescinded there offer of employment. Be open and honest with your AT&T recruiter and 9 times out of 10 they'll work with you. With Hireright, list EVERY job that you've had over the past 5 years, there looking for honesty not perfection.

Two: They are NOT playing when it comes to your drug test, 48 hour window means 48 hour window.

Three: These are the signs that you got hired:

- If you take the HireRight background check and you pass your in, The company won't waste money on you if they don't want you. Up until then don't count on ANYTHING. Like they said, it's a CONDITIONAL offer.

Four (and last)

- If you have questions, Call. Don't be afraid, they went through the hiring process too and know what it's like.

Mimii in Longwood, Florida

26 months ago

Shelly, Any idea where you may be training and when?

I think I am currently in the process of my background check. I received the email for my ssn and to take the survey. I have no preference personally where I train whether it be in or out of state but I am curious to know (: Being that your in Florida, Im curious in knowing where your location is.

Mimii in Altamonte Springs, Florida

26 months ago

Mimii in Longwood, Florida said: Shelly, Any idea where you may be training and when?

I think I am currently in the process of my background check. I received the email for my ssn and to take the survey. I have no preference personally where I train whether it be in or out of state but I am curious to know (: Being that your in Florida, Im curious in knowing where your location is.

sorry for the typos lol. I mean I'm curious to know where your location will be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JEEPlove in Tampa, Florida

26 months ago

Shelly in Jax in Jacksonville, Florida said: I finally received my conditional offer and confirmation of my background check, everything came back clean as a whistle :) To anyone out there that is going through the AT&T hiring process, these are the things you should look our for:

One: NEVER EVER B.S your Resume, They WILL find out. Had a friend of mine go through that nightmare and the company (not AT&T) rescinded there offer of employment. Be open and honest with your AT&T recruiter and 9 times out of 10 they'll work with you. With Hireright, list EVERY job that you've had over the past 5 years, there looking for honesty not perfection.

Two: They are NOT playing when it comes to your drug test, 48 hour window means 48 hour window.

Three: These are the signs that you got hired:

- If you take the HireRight background check and you pass your in, The company won't waste money on you if they don't want you. Up until then don't count on ANYTHING. Like they said, it's a CONDITIONAL offer.

Four (and last)

- If you have questions, Call. Don't be afraid, they went through the hiring process too and know what it's like.

How lobg did hireright take for you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shelly In Jax in Jacksonville, Florida

25 months ago

JEEPlove in Tampa, Florida said: How lobg did hireright take for you?

Two days, Then again my Resume' included really well known companies so it didn't take long to validate my work history.

Shelly In Jax in Jacksonville, Florida

25 months ago

Mimii in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: sorry for the typos lol. I mean I'm curious to know where your location will be.

There sending me out of Florida for training so far, I'll be flying out to TX in Aug.

Mimii in Altamonte Springs, Florida

25 months ago

Shelly In Jax in Jacksonville, Florida said: There sending me out of Florida for training so far, I'll be flying out to TX in Aug.

I'll be in the Orlando August 12th training although I live there already /: I was originally going to be in the August 5th training class but it was filled

25 months ago

Mimii in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: I'll be in the Orlando August 12th training although I live there already /: I was originally going to be in the August 5th training class but it was filled

Yeah they were going to send me to Tampa but aug 5th worked better for me, I wish I was going to Orlando!

LovingLifeInTexas in Woodway, Texas

25 months ago

Okay, so I've been stalking this page since I received my first call from AT&T staffing haha so here's how it all happened:
I applied for the FT RSC on 7/18
I received a phone call from the recruiter and we did a small phone interview & she explained the job to me and asked if I was interested in moving forward with the interview process, of course I was thrilled about the position!
I had my 1st interview with the HR manager on 7/22 (my birthday!) and well, I guess he liked me because I was scheduled my 2nd interview for the very next day (7/23) with the store mgr for the store I applied at.
2nd interview went great! We talked for about 30 minutes about the job then he showed me around the store & introduced me to a few of the workers who weren't on the floor. When I was leaving he mentioned to me he would be making a decision later that week, and I told him I was looking forward to hearing from him.
I received an email the morning of 7/25 requesting for my SSN and to take a tax survey, I didn't complete it right away bc I was in the ER with a kidney infection! After I was released I received a phone call from my recruiter giving me the contingent offer & I went online to accept.
I didn't submit my background form until Monday 7/29 (due to the kidney infection) and the drug test was completed on 7/30..
Now here's where the stress kicked in.. THE WAITING GAME... lol.

LovingLifeInTexas in Woodway, Texas

25 months ago

I received an email from HireRight asking for W-2s, paycheck stubs, 1099 forms, basically anything that could verify my employment for 1 out of my 5 jobs. Luckily I kept my paycheck stubs and sent the 1st and last ones in because I didn't have access to my w-2s bc I had done them online for the year they were needing. Got all requested documents over to them 7/30 and then just waiting to hear something.. Stalking the online site until I heard something.
Well, I noticed the background check was completed on 8/5, and I called HireRight on 8/6 for them to tell me yes it was completed and they had sent it to AT&T.
FINALLYYYY today 8/7, I received the phone call that I have been waiting for.. My Background has cleared and I was good to go!!! :D She welcomed me to the team, and said now I should be receiving a call from on boarding on Thursday, Aug 15, with details about traveling arrangements and dress code.. Training is scheduled to start Aug 19th in Houston, but I will be leaving Sunday Aug 18th!!
That's my story, i hope it helps someone! Oh yea, and really the background isn't all that bad, just make sure to be HONEST and get them the info ASAP if they are requesting it! Good Luck to everyone applying! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DG in Washington, Michigan

24 months ago

I'm in indianapolis august 19th for training anyone else there?

anmurphy37 in Lenoir, North Carolina

24 months ago

I put in my application a few weeks ago. I received a call back from at&t staffing and had a phone interview scheduled for the next day. About 10 minutes after the phone interview concluded I was called back and had a face to face interview scheduled for the following day. 2 days after that I was called and offered the position. I got the forms for hireright and filled those our and completed my drug test. I received the on boarding link today but my background is still showing in process...should I be worried? My training is supposed to start on Sept 16 in Raleigh NC. I also don't know the dress code for the training or where I'll be staying. Any information would be great! Thanks so much for all the insights!

ballislife in Painesville, Ohio

24 months ago

7/25 I submitted my app
7/25 took the questionnaire
7/25 took the career mapping assessment
8/5 follow up intrest email
8/5 Phone interview
8/8 interview with store manager
8/9 interview with area manager
8/13 tax survey
8/19 offer letter and call
8/19 hire right submitted
8/20 drug test done
8/20 hire right request w-2
8/23 hire right request w-2 for another job
8/26 welcome call
9/16 training in Brecksville Ohio!

patrick dispenza in calhoun, Louisiana

24 months ago

I've submitted 3 applications with art one in August 27th and the others on sept 9.under my status it says reviewing qualifications I've also done my 114 question assessment. I still haven't heard anything.does the process normally take this long with no response?

Nyfan

23 months ago

Shiggity42 in unknown, California said: Now I know SOME of the people with the Hireright horror stories weren't up front and honest with their info. I have a start date a whole moth from today, Feb 6th 2012. So, if you're looking for employment that starts right away, don't go with Att. Or find another job while you go through the Att process. My whole process started from the day I submitted my resume on 10.19.2011 all the way to my actual start date of Feb. 6th 2012. I hope my info will help you folks and i'm very happy and excited about starting my 4 week training. Anybody with infer on training please respond with all of the info you can. Anyone has questions for me, please feel free to ask. I check my email all of the

Does the background information that you fill out for Hireright regarding my employment have to be exactly like the employment information that I filled out for ATT? Because those dates were not exact. Thanks

Nyfan

23 months ago

Can anyone answer a question for me regarding the Hireright background check. I put down the last 16 years of employment on the ATT application with start and end dates that were not exact. Can I put different start and end dates on the Hireright background sheet? Also can I just put the last 5 years and eliminate the others?
Thanks

stevenmack in Abilene, Texas

23 months ago

They are only interested in the last 5-7 years on everything. The information on your application are pulled in to Hireright. If Hireright can't verify any employer be able to show your W-2s.

ATT RSC Zachary Bell in Greenville, Alabama

23 months ago

What discount do AT&T employees get on their phone plans and the phone themselves....not talking about EOU but personal lines

HelpingOthers HelpThemselves in Kirkland, Washington

23 months ago

Hey all:

I just have a couple of suggestions to help everybody. I am not judging anybody, but be aware that their are company trolls that view boards, and if you are not already, do not use your real name in the post or the profile of a company you want to get hired with. Most companies state in the contract that you sign, that 99% of us do not read, says you will not talk about the hiring process, and other things that may occur, so just be careful if you do post something.

Next, about HireRight

Unless they ask for the information, do not offer anything that wasn't requested.
HireRight won't tell you, but depending on the state that you live, you are not required to list any speeding ticket, arrest, conviction, etc. Even if they ask for it. If you volunteer the information, in the fine print you are authorizing them to actually dig deeper and or get the information that could possibly disqualify you for the position.

Its a dirty game, and I have a friend that is a HR Hiring Manager. Like I said before the application is there to provide you info, but not all info is mandatory.

I live in the East Coast, and I have a friend that lives in WA state. After 10 years, you don't have to mention you were ever arrested, convicted, etc. By law it can't be used against you and you don't have to list it, and it SHOULNDT be reported if you were applying for a job in WA state. Every state is different, I know my state I think its 7 years, but my friend works in WA state.

Also, if you ever had a conviction SEALED, or Vacated anywhere in the country, you no longer have to list that on a job application or HireRight either.

HelpingOthers HelpThemselves in Kirkland, Washington

23 months ago

<<<Continued>>>
I know you want the job, and you want to list what you believe is the truth and nothing but the truth, and I understand, but be aware that something's do not have to be listed.
In WA state most misdemeanors, can be vacated after 3 - 5 years have passed. Some Felonies 5 years. Which is cool because you don't have to wait the full 10 years.

And always know your driving record, some insurance companies don't report certain things, you can check with your local DMV.

Hopefully this helps those that are stressing over their past criminal record. Now this is for those that did something stupid, and have paid there dues, and are moving forward with their lives, not the hardcore criminals, for you, you will just be SOL.

And don't forget you can get a free copy of your HireRight report before you even apply so you can dispute what they have before you even apply at the job you want.

And you can request a Free copy of your credit report from the 3 credit bureaus.

I think its called AnnualCreditreport .com

So that is my two cents, good luck to you all, I hope you get that job you were looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

HelpingOthers HelpThemselves in San Jose, California

23 months ago

Oh, and if you can, help others by spreading the word, look up your local laws for your state on the reporting timeframe for certain convictions.

Also most agencies like HireRight, get their information from state agency, and usually the locally State Police is the one who keeps the criminal record on file that is accessible by companies like HireRight. Most criminal convictions are held by the State police and all local police agencies feed into the system. Most State Police will allow you to order your criminal history if you have one directly from them. Most State Police also update there database with the FBI, so if you get something Vacated/Sealed it is forwarded onto the FBI also, but as with trying to go to the Post Office, the process can take a long time.

HelpingOthers HelpThemselves in San Jose, California

23 months ago

<<<<My Last Post I Promise!!>>>> www.eeoc.gov/laws/guidance/arrest_conviction.cfm

Can an employment application ask about things that should not be reported?

The FCRA does not prohibit an employer from asking questions in an employment application. See FTC letters to Nadell and Sum:

www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra/nadell.htm
www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra/sum.htm

For example, an employment application might ask if you have "ever" been arrested. The FCRA says a consumer reporting agency cannot report an arrest that from date of entry was more than seven years ago. It does not say the employer cannot ask the question.

How to handle such questions on an employment application is of real concern to many people, especially those concerned with a youthful mistake from the distant past.

State employment laws may limit the questions an employer includes on a job application. For example, in California an application may ask "job related questions about convictions except those that have been sealed, or expunged, or statutorily eradicated," but applications cannot ask "general questions regarding an arrest." www.dfeh.ca.gov/res/docs/publications/DFEH-161.pdf

To learn about employment laws in your state, search the Internet for “employment inquiries” followed by the name of your state. State and local equal employment opportunity agencies, along with federal EEO field offices, may also be located through the US Equal Opportunity Commission Web site. www.eeoc.gov/field/index.cfm.

bdubs

23 months ago

So a criminal record from the police station and a driving report from the DMV would show me everything HireRight sees? I went to a tag agency 6 months ago and they printed me out a blank sheet and said it was my driving record, even though I know I've had tickets. Well a lady says I cut her off so I went to court last month for reckless driving. Based on that print out, I said I had a clean record, thinking that's all that counted was on that sheet. He called me a liar and brought up all kinds of tickets I've had. What the... So would HireRight have what the prosecutor had? Should I just go to the DMV and get the official record? It's supposed to be the same as the tag agency.. The lady at the tag told me that's what employers would see. Also that reckless driving conviction...she took it down to a careless driving and said if I get zero tickets by December when I see her again, the judge, it will just be careless. But if I get s ticket, it's reckless. So. Is that a felony or misdemeanor? It doesn't show up at all at oscn.net under my name, so..... Help? Oh also I just got a ticket today for speeding in a school zone. I thought the school zone ended. Petty stuff. :(

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.