AT&T Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 265)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at AT&T?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

angiea in Willow Spring, North Carolina

84 months ago

I just sat there, trying to look composed and thought holy crap! I've never heard of an interviewer yelling at an applicant. Then I figured maybe it's a test - they tell you irate customers call. . .I can handle irate customers calling, even in person, but this guy twice my size, we were in a closed room with no one else around, I didn't know for certain if this was indeed part of the psycho-babble interview structure of the new millennium, or if he could possibly be going postal. . .

I sat there politely, listening, but too chicken to try to bend him to seeing my point. I had an argument for luck, but this man was sacry. . .

I decided that if it were a 'test' my other answers were all good and at least I didn't cry or run out of the room when he lost his cool.

So - if any of you have one of these interviews and the interviewer goes off on you for an answer you give. Argue your point - it's part of the test.

If someone works for AT&T HR and sees this and that interviewer shouldn't have used that tactic, feel free to ask his name, I'll be happy to provide it.

I suppose this position wasn't meant to be. Just really bothered me to be jerked around for two months AFTER I scored four and five stars on my test with an average of 5, passed the background check, and have a successful employment history, with less than three sick days per year for over two decades! Their loss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (84) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Chanelle21 in Jacksonville, Florida

78 months ago

I dont believe a person can still think about black and white. Black my have what at&t is looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

A AAP in Pensacola, Florida

78 months ago

I agree with you Chanelle21. When we had the BEI where I live, it was a fair number of blacks and whites who got the position. It's all about giving the interviewer what he or she wants her; therefore, selling yourself. Anyone who says luck is a part of sells is asking for not to get the job. By saying sales includes a lot of luck, you are taking away accountability for what you do or don't do to create sales. That's why the interviewer was angry.

They give you a study guide with questions. It IS IMPORTANT! to study that guide. All the questions that I was asked came from that study guide, even though they say that these are only sample questions. Make sure your answers are in great detail, explain procedures at your other job so that the interviewer would understand them, even if he has never heard of them before. Show interest in moving up the corporate ladder. AT AT&T, a lot of people will soon be retiring, so there will be potential to grow there. Yes, there will be things that annoy you, but focus on yourself.

I took the computer test Saturday. The interview Thursday and a few hours later got a conditional offer. Today, I took the drug test. So, in less than a week I got the job. I'm black, but you wouldn't know it unless you saw me in person, plus I have college and job knowledge experience. Don't be too quick to judge the company like that. Another black woman I know didn't get the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

jettieharris in Atlanta, Georgia

78 months ago

^ when you applied online how long did it take for you to get a test invite?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I received a test invite within a week of submitting my resume on the AT&T Careers site. IF I would have taken the test then, I could have started working in April, but I missed it. But from the time I took the test till I got the conditional offer was less than 1 week. I start May 1st.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I have one more thing to add. For people who are looking at the sales associate position. You CAN get the job if you don't already have sell experience. I didn't have it, but I made up for that with my knowledge of customer service. When they ask you if there's anything else to consider about you for the position tell them what you CAN do for them and if you don't know something that you'll work extra hard for it. A lot of people don't show enough interest. Depending on where you live, your presenter may be very through. I know mine was. I basically knew by the end of the presentation that AT&T is NOT the place for BS or whining. IF you do have a family, I agree it's not the place that you will want to work unless you have help at home to take care of the kids. It is all about the $$$, but if you are willing to hang in there, I think it's worthwhile. It takes 24 months before you can apply for another position. If you do that, and you are a term employee, then your contract renews with the new job, meaning you won't have to wait that 1 month unemployed for at least another 36 mos, or whatever the new job position contract states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

angiea in Willow Spring, North Carolina said: Well, nevermind, a month after my interview, I finally get an Email today. We appreciate. . .Unfortunately, your interview did not qualify you for this position. . .

So, here is some advice about the interview. The ?'s I was asked were: They want the STAR response. . .Situation, Task, Action, Result for each.

Tell me about a time you had to access multiple screens of information on a computer, while talking to a customer.

Tell me about a time when a customer said NO to a product you offered and how you turned the no into a yes.

Tell me about a time when a customer did not understand what you were trying to say to them and what you did to make them understand.

(these aren't verbatim)

These were the EXACT questions that I was asked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jettieharris in Atlanta, Georgia

78 months ago

Thanks for the info!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Follow up...

I started May 1st and I am very happy. I have one of the best trainers at the Pensacola center (old Bellsouth). It's going to be ALOT of information to learn, but I'm ready for the challenge. I just can't wait to start making comp (commission and ot). My trainer was talking about how lucky we are. So many people try to get this job and get turned away. I can last 6 months without benefits, besides they will pay for my benefits. It might be different other places, but P'cola is a great place to work for AT&T. There aren't many places here where you can make that type of money and move up. However, I think a lot of people like to stay on the phones because of the money and the union. If you really are about the money, I've heard of people making 70-80 in a year!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

state in Pensacola, Florida

77 months ago

Hey I'm in Pensacola as well and have just taken the Basic electricity test. If you would not mind emailing me I'd like to ask you some questions about the interview. (statekling@gmail.com)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

David in Bartlett, Illinois

77 months ago

angiea in Willow Spring, North Carolina said: Well, nevermind, a month after my interview, I finally get an Email today. We appreciate. . .Unfortunately, your interview did not qualify you for this position. . .

So, here is some advice about the interview. The ?'s I was asked were: They want the STAR response. . .Situation, Task, Action, Result for each.

Tell me about a time you had to access multiple screens of information on a computer, while talking to a customer.

Tell me about a time when a customer said NO to a product you offered and how you turned the no into a yes.

Tell me about a time when a customer did not understand what you were trying to say to them and what you did to make them understand.

(these aren't verbatim)

My answers were probably what they were looking for, however right near the end of my meeting, the interviewer sort of wigged out on me. He asked me casually about my philosophy on sales and being competitive. I told him that I considered myself very competitive and that I probably demand more from myself than any employer ever demanded of me, BUT that I keep competition friendly. I told him that I'm not an 'in your face' person. I like being on top, definitely, but that occasionally, you're not going to be on top, some months aren't as good as others - someone always has to be the lowest, and sooner or later, it might be you. (I have 20+ years in sales) I mentioned sometimes you get lucky and other times you don't.

He said "Do you think luck has anything to do with sales?"

His voice was raised and the vein popped out on the side of his temple (swear to God) He isn't actually a small dude, and well, he went from barely having a pulse to pretty ticked in about 2.5 seconds. He went into a monologue about how sales is all about SKILL and there is no luck involved. If you know your product and have the skills to explain them to your customer and have the skills to conquer their objections, you make the sale. (will

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

David in Bartlett, Illinois

77 months ago

I tested yesterday for the Customer Service position - I passed all the tests and have been refered on for a face to face interview - Does anyone have any suggestions. I have heard so many answers about this position - My wife interviewed for the position and was told that they need to wait for enough candidates to start the training class. I asked her how the interview went sis they put you through the ringer - She said no they just told her about the position and that was all. Her file was reviewed at my interview and they said she was in good standing she just has not heard from them yet.

I use to work for a company (MBNA) in Delaware - They have the same tactic. 4 to 5 interviews just to get denied - I have heard that they know who they will hire and they just want to string you along. I have also heard of manager yelling at candidates to the point of tears - One girl walked out crying in the middle of the interview - There reason is if you cant tke me yelling at ou how can you take a customer getting angry -

This is an awesome job with at 70-80K realistic income - No beny's 4 6 mnths but if you can get hired and last people work for ATT for 30-40 years. Free phone service - 401K pension the whole 9 yards.

This would be a blessing - I have 3 children and all jobs wants to pay is 10-13 hr. WHich in Chicago is minimum wage. I even have a degree and all I get is 100% commission jobs (basically you need 2 years of s\RSV to survive) Ourtside Sales jobs ($4-4.50 gas prices - there goes your check) or 10-13 hr jobs (after daycare and gas they will foreclose on your house)

My wifes friends work for them and they make 3K per check.

Any suggestions please email me at dhayes70@gmail.com ---

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rene Saenz in Katy, Texas

77 months ago

I will have a phone Interview for Business Account Executive this coming weeek. Any sugestions? does any body know about what kind of questions???
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

@Renee
Go to ATT Careers and go to study guide section. There should be a guide for the position you seek. If you are interviewing for the Small Business section, run for the hills, at least that's what I've been told. It's a tough section and the highest seniority there is 4 years.

David, there is another page where I put some advice on how to get the job. Just study the study guide because that's where your questions will come from.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Hey,thanks nice information. The position is BAE for small business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Renee please choose another position. AT@T is full of so many great opportunities. In the small business section, sales are a bit harder, plus there "churn." Basically, if you lose a product, you have to get it back, plus your sales objective. Let's say a business owner calls in and has 6 lines plus DSL. If he were to cancel 3 lines, then you are now responsible for getting 3 more lines. The only good thing about small business is that every now and then you'll get an independent contractor on the phone who is ordering for a company. If you network well with independent contractors, they can get you business, but it's not monthly. However, when they give you business, it's BIG! From what I've heard, The Small business section is way more stressful than any other job. One of the team leads at our call center was telling us, not to stay in one position at the company, to all ways seek out other areas of opprotunity after our 2 year is up (you have to wait 2 years before you can be reassigned to another department). I know I wouldn't want to be in Small business for 2 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I'm with Comcast Business Class and b4 with Time Warner Cable. What options do i have to choose from?? large Business??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

this position is outside sales.do they have a charge back??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

david -ATT CS in Bartlett, Illinois

76 months ago

A AAP in Pensacola, Florida said: @Renee
Go to ATT Careers and go to study guide section. There should be a guide for the position you seek. If you are interviewing for the Small Business section, run for the hills, at least that's what I've been told. It's a tough section and the highest seniority there is 4 years.

David, there is another page where I put some advice on how to get the job. Just study the study guide because that's where your questions will come from.

Where is that study guide -- They called me for a face to face on June 5th - Please email me if you have to some times post get lost in the shuffle

dhayes70@gmail.com
Where

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

david -ATT CS in Bartlett, Illinois

76 months ago

A AAP in Pensacola, Florida said: @Renee

Where is that study guide I found a SEI portion but that was very generic What are some specifics thay will ask.

How do they judge your hire - As mentioned my wifes friends came was hired and they seemed like average people - How do they determine if your a fit - Is it luck being at the right plae at the right time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lady Bug12 in Mandeville, Louisiana

76 months ago

I have been trying to figure out what the drug testing at att is like if anyone know please reply. i have never taken a drug test before so im unsure of the process is it a pee test or is it another type of test. do they do it there or do you have to go somewhere else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lady Bug12 in Mandeville, Louisiana

76 months ago

oh and does anyone know the specifications for the data entry test? wpm and accuracy? i cant find it anywhere on there website

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

David in West Chicago, Illinois

76 months ago

I passed all my tests and I have an interview on June 5th for the customer service position in Arlington Heights, IL. Does anyone have any advice on what to expect on the interview. My wife interviewed for the same position and she did not go through half of the stuff that I have heard. As someone said - If its meant to be everything will fall into place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cutiepieme in Memphis, Tennessee

76 months ago

Hi just checking,
I have my 2nd interview on 2moro for ATT Retail wireless sales. Just checking on benefits, like when they start? and how does there commission work? any one who works there?? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ednasilem in Birmingham, Alabama

76 months ago

David,

I see your interview is tomorrow. The careers link at AT&T has the interview test questions and yes, they're very generic.

On the second interview he asked me questions like;

1) Describe a time when you didn't perform up to your supervisor's expectations.

2) Have you ever had to deal with complexity?

3) Were there ever any policies that you didn't agree with at work? What did you do about them. (On this last I answered that there was stuff that I didn't agree with that I had to deal with everyday, like wearing my seatbelt and that I really couldn't think of anything, except for this one policy a previous employer had of calling customers at 8 am. So he asked, "What did you do?" and I shrugged and said, "I did it anyway, it was the job." So he asked me if customers yelled at me and I said, "Sure." I was real nonchalant about answering, like customers yelling at me didn't bother me.

That's all they want to hear: positive answers, can-do-attitude. I was basically hired on the spot (had to formally pass a background check)

By the way, for other people who are interested in the background check, I passed it. It's very thorough. I have bad credit, a felony (drug) possession arrest (no conviction) from 2005, incomplete work history information, bad (and good) grades and a spotty work history. It's all in the "can-do" attitude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ednasilem in Birmingham, Alabama

76 months ago

Ladybug: it's a standard pee test.

tcyneedsajob in Antioch, Tennessee

76 months ago

Can you give me any advice or numbers to call to get in caontact with a hiring manager?I tested last saturday had the face to face interview the same day and was told someone would contact me to have a phone interview but I have not heard anything.I was told that the next training class starts in August.PLEASE HELP ME!!!

dburc in Knoxville, Tennessee

76 months ago

tcyneedsajob in Antioch, Tennessee said: Can you give me any advice or numbers to call to get in caontact with a hiring manager?I tested last saturday had the face to face interview the same day and was told someone would contact me to have a phone interview but I have not heard anything.I was told that the next training class starts in August.PLEASE HELP ME!!!

relax, if they said you were hired you will get a call

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Milly R in Mobile, Alabama

75 months ago

Rene Saenz in Katy, Texas said: I will have a phone Interview for Business Account Executive this coming weeek. Any sugestions? does any body know about what kind of questions???
Thanks

I know you posted this a while ago .. but not sure what happened. Anyway, a business account executive is a management (salaried) position with Mobility. There are no study guides online for these interviews, and there are no testing requirements to "qualify" for these positions. If you have/had an interview, it's with your potential boss, and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Naturallee Sweet in Conyers, Georgia

75 months ago

OK had a interview Wednesday, it went well. She handed me my drug test papers, and said they will email or call me to tell me when and where to take it. She also said, all my other papers will come by email.
Is this a good sign or wishful thinking. I know companies don't spend money on drug test unless they want you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marilynmonroe in chicago, Illinois

75 months ago

David in Bartlett, Illinois said: I tested yesterday for the Customer Service position - I passed all the tests and have been refered on for a face to face interview - Does anyone have any suggestions. I have heard so many answers about this position - My wife interviewed for the position and was told that they need to wait for enough candidates to start the training class. I asked her how the interview went sis they put you through the ringer - She said no they just told her about the position and that was all. Her file was reviewed at my interview and they said she was in good standing she just has not heard from them yet.

I use to work for a company (MBNA) in Delaware - They have the same tactic. 4 to 5 interviews just to get denied - I have heard that they know who they will hire and they just want to string you along. I have also heard of manager yelling at candidates to the point of tears - One girl walked out crying in the middle of the interview - There reason is if you cant tke me yelling at ou how can you take a customer getting angry -

This is an awesome job with at 70-80K realistic income - No beny's 4 6 mnths but if you can get hired and last people work for ATT for 30-40 years. Free phone service - 401K pension the whole 9 yards.

This would be a blessing - I have 3 children and all jobs wants to pay is 10-13 hr. WHich in Chicago is minimum wage. I even have a degree and all I get is 100% commission jobs (basically you need 2 years of s\RSV to survive) Ourtside Sales jobs ($4-4.50 gas prices - there goes your check) or 10-13 hr jobs (after daycare and gas they will foreclose on your house)

My wifes friends work for them and they make 3K per check.

Any suggestions please email me at dhayes70@gmail.com ---

Customer service reps at a&t DO NOT MAKE 70-80K a year!!! More like $10 to $12 an hour to start depending where you are located...pay is outlined in the union contract....your wife's friends must be the CEO, CFO, and COO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Milly R in Mobile, Alabama

74 months ago

Naturallee Sweet in Conyers, Georgia said: OK had a interview Wednesday, it went well. She handed me my drug test papers, and said they will email or call me to tell me when and where to take it. She also said, all my other papers will come by email.
Is this a good sign or wishful thinking. I know companies don't spend money on drug test unless they want you.

Most definitely ... have you taken it yet? Don't get worried if you don't hear from them right away ... HR is known to take their sweet little time .. good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Milly R in Mobile, Alabama said: Most definitely ... have you taken it yet? Don't get worried if you don't hear from them right away ... HR is known to take their sweet little time .. good luck!!

Thanks!! I haven't heard anything yet. But I am hanging on to the papers like they are gold! I hope they email or call soon.

kay in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

Naturallee Sweet in Conyers, Georgia said: Thanks!! I haven't heard anything yet. But I am hanging on to the papers like they are gold! I hope they email or call soon.[/QUOTe

Tell us how it went okay..... Good luck!

74 months ago

kay in Atlanta, Georgia said:

I got a email congratulating me. I passed the BEI interview. They said that it will take up to three weeks to complete the employment process. So I am assuming they are doing the background check now. They said they will notify me when it is time for me to take the drug test.

MikeCCNA in Raleigh, North Carolina

74 months ago

Has anyone any idea what techincal questions would be asked at an interview for a NOC position or Tier 1 security monitor position?

kelly in Hartsville, Indiana

74 months ago

I had a interview, I thought it went well but I got a letter saying even though I wasnt picked for that position I was invited to apply for others at the At&T website, Whats with that?

JAC in San Antonio, Texas

74 months ago

kelly in Hartsville, Indiana said: I had a interview, I thought it went well but I got a letter saying even though I wasnt picked for that position I was invited to apply for others at the At&T website, Whats with that?

Thats just the way they are. Its perception and decision of who ever is doing the hiring.

74 months ago

Hi everyone, well Monday is my three weeks, and I haven't heard anything excpet that I qualified on the BEI. They still haven't notified me about the drug test. They said with-in three weeks, and if they are trying to make me sweat they are doing a great job! I will keep you all informed.
Natural Lee Sweet

73 months ago

Naturallee Sweet in Conyers, Georgia said: Hi everyone, well Monday is my three weeks, and I haven't heard anything excpet that I qualified on the BEI. They still haven't notified me about the drug test. They said with-in three weeks, and if they are trying to make me sweat they are doing a great job! I will keep you all informed.
Natural Lee Sweet

Just a update! They have made contact! I will keep you informed.

73 months ago

Milly R in Mobile, Alabama said: Most definitely ... have you taken it yet? Don't get worried if you don't hear from them right away ... HR is known to take their sweet little time .. good luck!!

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that it has been almost four weeks, and they finally contacted me. I will let you know what happened.

terrance miller in Conyers, Georgia

73 months ago

Hey I have also been interviewed in conyers and I haven't heard anything yet. I was sent an email on the 28th of July saying I passed the BEI. Still no word from staffing. How did it go??

73 months ago

I hope you get the job. I hear the next class is sept 2

73 months ago

terrance miller in Conyers, Georgia said: Hey I have also been interviewed in conyers and I haven't heard anything yet. I was sent an email on the 28th of July saying I passed the BEI. Still no word from staffing. How did it go??

The last email I got was on Thursday the 21st of August asking me if I was still interested.
I still haven't taken the drug test, but I still have the papers just in case the call or email and tell me to.
You will probably hear something before the week is out. This has been a slow process. Have you taken your drug test yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

terrance miller in Conyers, Georgia said: I hope you get the job. I hear the next class is sept 2

WOW! Next Tuesday. It would be nice if they let me know before Friday. I know they interviewed 130 people. I think the class size is 35 or so. Let me know if you hear anything and I will do the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dave in West Chicago, Illinois

73 months ago

Dave from Illinois --

It took me 6 mnths to get officially hired - They are very selective who they hire (Not refering to you or anyone) ATT is an aswesome company - very micro managing - Great benefits and a solid future -

I would think if they gave you a drug test your good to go - (It would be foolish for a multi-billion dollar company to pay for drug and back ground test if they were not going to hire you)

They like persistancy --- call everyday, ask how it is going - I sent an email just to wish my recruiter a great weekend - I went to Chicago in a suit waited outside the door to speak to someone - When a staff member opened the door (It was locked and secure) I put my foot in the door, introduced myself and asked when I would start - It paid off this is my 3 week at ATT !!!

David

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

No I haven't taken it yet. I was wondering if they where going to contact me at all. It has been a month since the last email. I almost gave up.

73 months ago

terrance miller in Conyers, Georgia said: No I haven't taken it yet. I was wondering if they where going to contact me at all. It has been a month since the last email. I almost gave up.

Don't give up! Email HR, just to see how things are going. Tell your doing a follow-up. Sell yourself, like they sell there products.

Evontroy Alexander in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

73 months ago

I applied July 18, 2008. Received an e-mail August 18, 2008 asking me to come in for testing August 23, 2008. I took the test and qualified informing me that someone will be contacting me in regards to an interview. I received a call this morning but missed it, phoned back two hours later and the woman informed me that the interview slots for tomorrow are filled and asked if I still wanted to interview. I said yes and she informed me that if she has any openings this week or next that I will be the first person that she contacts. I'm so pissed that I missed that call but fingers crossed that I receive a call back relatively soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.