AT&T RSC and advancement requirements?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Bailey Yordie in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

16 months ago

So I'm 17 and thinking about a job at an AT&T Store as a Retail Sales Consultant. I just had a few questions about the position itself and advancement within the company.

1) What experience and education is required for the position? I'm guessing high school diploma for education, but what about experience?

2) What opportunities for advancement are their in the company? I guess it'd also be helpful with the chain of advancement in the retail store, anyone know that? (RSC/SSR -> assistant manager -> manager -> ???)

3) Would earning a college degree help right off the bat, or would that be able to wait a few years as I gain experience within the company?

4) Anything else you think would be useful.

Thanks guys. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rackham12 in Central, Mississippi

16 months ago

Do you have any retail or sales experience? Most of the RSC's I work with have been car salesman and realtors and some insurance agents.

16 months ago

rackham12 in Central, Mississippi said: Do you have any retail or sales experience? Most of the RSC's I work with have been car salesman and realtors and some insurance agents.

I currently work at Target as an electronics team member. I mostly have customer service experience, however, as cashiers and crew members (to name some places, McDonald's and Sears).

Jaemarie in Texas

16 months ago

Customer service skills really help with an RSC position because you're face-to-face people all day so any service type jobs are definitely a plus. however you don't need sales experience I used to be a bartender and I am now going to RSC training. they teach you everything you need to know during the training classes so you don't have to worry if you really don't know much. all they're looking for a somebody who's really people Oriented. And yes You need to have at least a high school diploma

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Would a college degree help later down the line to better advancement opportunities outside of retail (after advancing to store manager)? Would it even help in becoming assistant manager/manager?

16 months ago

Jaemarie, pardon me however Bailey is seeking advice from an experienced rep. You stated you have JUST started RSC Training we cannot know your future at AT&T. It is not tough; however not meeting quota is kind of a big deal. If you cannot be on top with your numbers they will not even pull your application for ASM. Even if you are a dollar off with a couple metrics that can be the difference between you and another internal applicant. It is not all customer service it is a 60/40 deal. With all the weight on your numbers. Bailey my best advice to you is to make yourself stand out if it is by a college degree then by all means go to school and work PT. Why do you feel that you cannot do both?

16 months ago

rackham12 in Central, Mississippi said: Jaemarie, pardon me however Bailey is seeking advice from an experienced rep. You stated you have JUST started RSC Training we cannot know your future at AT&T. It is not tough; however not meeting quota is kind of a big deal. If you cannot be on top with your numbers they will not even pull your application for ASM. Even if you are a dollar off with a couple metrics that can be the difference between you and another internal applicant. It is not all customer service it is a 60/40 deal. With all the weight on your numbers. Bailey my best advice to you is to make yourself stand out if it is by a college degree then by all means go to school and work PT. Why do you feel that you cannot do both?

It's not that I feel that I can't do both, it's mostly because college is pretty expensive for me right now, there's not much in terms of degrees that interest me, among other things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Well I'll tell you what a job in Retail is not going to fulfill as much as you think it would anyone is replaceable in this economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

rackham12 in Central, Mississippi said: Well I'll tell you what a job in Retail is not going to fulfill as much as you think it would anyone is replaceable in this economy.

That's not helpful and not the topic of the discussion.

Jaemarie in Texas

16 months ago

Bailey Yordie in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Would a college degree help later down the line to better advancement opportunities outside of retail (after advancing to store manager)? Would it even help in becoming assistant manager/manager?

A college degree always helps Because In this day and age it is incredibly important to have a college education and the Great thing about AT&T and after six Months you are eligible for benefits even for part-time associates. And their benefits include tuition reimbursement so AT&T will pay for you to go to college so you will be able to work and go to school. and although I did just start my training as an RSC that doesn't mean that I haven't been in my store working alongside the other associates, talking with my managers, and interacting with customers. I was hired because of my ability to interact with the customer AND Because I have motivation to meet and exceed my goals for each quota. AT&T is all about is the customer and that is their number one priority. There is no point in getting into a sales position if you aren't people oriented because you're dealing with people on a daily basis that is your job. Above everything else even sales, is customer service But you do have to have some motivation in order to sell the product because you're not just working for a paycheck you're also working for commission. I hope you found the information helpful and if you would like you are more than welcome to email me with any more questions. Good luck Deciding Bailey!

16 months ago

Jaemarie, did you get a degree yourself, are you still in school, or is a H.S. diploma your highest education level?

Jaemarie in Texas

16 months ago

Bailey Yordie in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Jaemarie, did you get a degree yourself, are you still in school, or is a H.S. diploma your highest education level?

I am a full time college junior and working

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Keypoint in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

and family.

If you are young and have no spouse and or kids and want to make 3k+ plus take home and don't mind being at work 50+ hours a week within a high pressure (from customers and your supervisors) environment then you will be ok and like the work. If not, you probably will want to lateral transfer or find a different field and college degree gives you the best chance to do that. Most likely since you are only 17, you will be considered for ssr position only unless there is a dire need in your area for RSC with limited sales experience. Tbh, I'm not even sure they hire people under 18, haven't met one yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Att_Dude_NYC in New York, New York

16 months ago

@keypoint 401k matching starts right away, and its not as bad as your making it seem.

as a new hire things go by seniority in terms of scheduling so you will have a lot of closing. It also depends on your store and the needs of the team. I have veterans in my store who prefer closing so that leaves morning shifts open.

Work wise your schedule for 40-42 hours a week but more then likely will work more. A college degree will help, just let your manager know your goals. They will point you in the right direction. After 5 months I was already a key holder and placed in a special program for developing management. So it really depends on your drive and your manager because they have great influence on how you move about the company.

16 months ago

Att_Dude_NYC in New York, New York said: @keypoint 401k matching starts right away, and its not as bad as your making it seem.

No, it does not. Perhaps where you live it does but it certainly does not in the west region and since I have not lived elsewhere while employed by at&t I can't say for certain and you could be right as it pertains to the east region and your particular labor agreement bargaining agreement. But I know for the west region, it is 1 year, period. To the op you may want to check with your hr recruiter to be sure.

I was not trying to make it sound bad, just being real.

16 months ago

*I should add that the 401k issue is as it pertains to new hires. Also, at&t is a good company with solid organization and good people, what I painted however is the real side of retail sales with commission jobs regardless of what they sell. All the things you can't avoid in retail in order to get to management level also is present at at&t.

Sales with commissions entails meeting strict quotas monthly, dealing with some grumpy customers and always having your best face on no matter what, standing 8+ hours, blackouts or no vacations during December etc etc. This isn't anything new nor specific to at&t but applies to almost all retail jobs.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.