Will At&t hire someone with a dismissed shoplifting charge? PLEASE RESPOND!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

shesasurething08

16 months ago

Will At&t hire someone with a dismissed shoplifting charge? Ive went through all of my interviews as well as background check & drug screening. I've also disclosed the situation through hireright & to my recruiting manager. I really need this job & want to know will they hire me or not. Crossing fingers they do bc im supposed to start April 12,2013. Please help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Phil Anselmo in Hemet, California

16 months ago

shesasurething08 said: Will At&t hire someone with a dismissed shoplifting charge? Ive went through all of my interviews as well as background check & drug screening. I've also disclosed the situation through hireright & to my recruiting manager. I really need this job & want to know will they hire me or not. Crossing fingers they do bc im supposed to start April 12,2013. Please help!!

Can you specify if this was a charge when you were a minor as part of a diversion program, erasing it from your record and not actually having a conviction? I had a friend years ago that had the same thing happen to him. But I've also heard of the expungement thing which is different, it depends on state and other things I've heard. However, companies as important and thorough as ATT ask that you disclose this information as honestly as possible, so that they can find out if the information is not visible on your record. How long ago was it? Have you run a check on yourself and does it show up? Did you tell ATT and hireright about this? What did they say? I assume if you told them upfront and they continued to send you through this process that you are ok. Please specify the answers for me so I can help you and ease your mind.

Was this a charge that happened over the age of 18, were you convicted guilty, then got it "expunged"? I have a buddy like I said went through this years back so I might be able to ask him about it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shesasurething08

16 months ago

Phil Anselmo in Hemet, California said: Can you specify if this was a charge when you were a minor as part of a diversion program, erasing it from your record and not actually having a conviction? I had a friend years ago that had the same thing happen to him. But I've also heard of the expungement thing which is different, it depends on state and other things I've heard. However, companies as important and thorough as ATT ask that you disclose this information as honestly as possible, so that they can find out if the information is not visible on your record. How long ago was it? Have you run a check on yourself and does it show up? Did you tell ATT and hireright about this? What did they say? I assume if you told them upfront and they continued to send you through this process that you are ok. Please specify the answers for me so I can help you and ease your mind.

Was this a charge that happened over the age of 18, were you convicted guilty, then got it "expunged"? I have a buddy like I said went through this years back so I might be able to ask him about it...

@Phil
I was 18 and it was in a different county. However I completed a pretrial intervention program which dismissed the case & it was a non conviction. I was never convicted of the crime. Its been 6 yrs ago. I have the option of getting it expunged but havent had the funds to do so yet. Ive already told my recruiter about this before I was even offered the job so im thinking that I should be okay. My recruiter also told me that as long as I wasnt convicted I should be okay. On the application online for the job you dont answer a question abt criminal history. The questions on the application simply ask you about motor vehicle accidents. On the hireright website it asks you about the criminal history. However the question specific askes you have you ever been convicted? My answer in this case would be no bc I wasnt convicted. Innocent until proven guilty is what im saying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phil Anselmo in Irvine, California

16 months ago

Well you have done the right thing, whether expunged, dismissed or still there, ATT will ask you you be honest and disclose it, and you have done that. Please update us on what happens, no one can really answer this for you because the ball is in ATT's court as to whether they will use this against you or not. Only time will tell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shesasurething08 in Augusta, Georgia

15 months ago

Phil Anselmo in Irvine, California said: Well you have done the right thing, whether expunged, dismissed or still there, ATT will ask you you be honest and disclose it, and you have done that. Please update us on what happens, no one can really answer this for you because the ball is in ATT's court as to whether they will use this against you or not. Only time will tell.

@phil
Yeah you are right. Im just waiting on hireright as of the moment. I check my status through hireright and they was waiting on my college to send them the documentation that I had went to school there. Everything else is completed. Just patiently waiting for status on the hireright to say completed or cleared. I will update my status as soon as I hear something. Crossing fingers and toes and hoping that it works out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Phil Anselmo in Escondido, California

15 months ago

shesasurething08 in Augusta, Georgia said: @phil
Yeah you are right. Im just waiting on hireright as of the moment. I check my status through hireright and they was waiting on my college to send them the documentation that I had went to school there. Everything else is completed. Just patiently waiting for status on the hireright to say completed or cleared. I will update my status as soon as I hear something. Crossing fingers and toes and hoping that it works out.

Wow, hireright doesn't mess around. I'm waiting for that part still, didnt even think they would need to go through all that for your college. I have several degrees and certs, hopefully it doesn't take long for them to get proof of that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shesasurething08

15 months ago

Phil Anselmo in Escondido, California said: Wow, hireright doesn't mess around. I'm waiting for that part still, didnt even think they would need to go through all that for your college. I have several degrees and certs, hopefully it doesn't take long for them to get proof of that.[/QUOT

@Phil
Hey! Right now I just recieved my background check and there was some discrepancies on there. They was unable to get in contact with 3 of my jobs and my school still didnt respond. Although.I did however send them my information for my school is wasnt updated til after the background report was completed. I talk to my recruiter today and she advise me to send my diploma to her from my school that I recieved..did that... Also I have to get my other 3 jobs vertified that I worked there. Which shouldnt be to hard at all. Going first thing in the morning to get this done. Also I was cleared on my background for the misdemeanor that was dismissed. It showed up no court records found however I.still self reported it and they did contact the county where it was to make sure it was correct. If I didnt self reported it would of not showed up anyhow but to cover my own butt I did. l will update as soon as i get the call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Phil Anselmo in Hemet, California

15 months ago

shesasurething08 said:

Awesome news! So job history check only goes back 5 years correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shesasurething08

15 months ago

@Phil
No actually its 7 years. Well at least thats how far they went back on mines. I actually had to provide w2 statements from my last employers bc they couldnt verify 4 of my jobs. I planned to go to each one of the jobs but due to the run arounds I just called the irs to get my w2s faxed to me. Then I fax those documents to my recruiter. I also contacted my store managet to givr him a update on what was going on. He informed me that he also had spoken to the recruiter and everything look like it was a "to go" so thats a good sign. Hopefully I will hear back something really soon. If you have anymore questions please let me know. Will let you know as soon as I get that call. Cant wait.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shesasurething08

15 months ago

@Phil

Just to update my status. As of today I am officially a AT&T EMPLOYEE. I am super excited and happy! This was a long process for me. Especially being the one that have applied for several jobs since 2007. I got my email today from my recruiter that I cleared the background check and that I am official. I cant wait to finally get my instructions on my ttraining. I suppose to start April 12. Again from start to finish I never gave up so thats what counts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

shesasurething08

15 months ago

shesasurething08 said: @Phil
No actually its 7 years. Well at least thats how far they went back on mines. I actually had to provide w2 statements from my last employers bc they couldnt verify 4 of my jobs. I planned to go to each one of the jobs but due to the run arounds I just called the irs to get my w2s faxed to me. Then I fax those documents to my recruiter. I also contacted my store managet to givr him a update on what was going on. He informed me that he also had spoken to the recruiter and everything look like it was a "to go" so thats a good sign. Hopefully I will hear back something really soon. If you have anymore questions please let me know. Will let you know as soon as I get that call. Cant wait.

Continue for previous post::

I was worried for nothing when it came to the background check. My dismissed charge didnt even show up which was good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Philip in Hemet, California

15 months ago

shesasurething08 said: @Phil

Just to update my status. As of today I am officially a AT&T EMPLOYEE. I am super excited and happy! This was a long process for me. Especially being the one that have applied for several jobs since 2007. I got my email today from my recruiter that I cleared the background check and that I am official. I cant wait to finally get my instructions on my ttraining. I suppose to start April 12. Again from start to finish I never gave up so thats what counts.

The majority of applicants on here keep saying it's 5 years for employment history, and 7 for criminal. Are you sure it's 7 for employment? Maybe you got it mixed up. I even had people that just finished the paperwork that DAY say it just asked for 5...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Philip in Hemet, California

15 months ago

Just wondering because you're the only one to say 7, in that case I'll need to track down my records from the IRS beforehand, but I am pretty sure it's 5 from what I hear...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shesasurething08

15 months ago

My mistake. The employment is 5 years but u have to list every job that you had during those years. Whether its 2 or 6. If you dont hireright will find out and mark discrepancies on your report and by reading some forums on here that could cost u your job if you dont be honest. If youre not sure of the dates make sure you make that cleart thireright and to your recruiter. They may require you to show proof. In my case I.just got my irs transcript printed out. That helped alot. But anywho good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fresh_HireTX in Lewisville, Texas

15 months ago

HireRight is incredibly thorough. You have to remember, AT&T pays them to be anal about reporting back to them on the verification of your information submitted through by you. They will go back 7 years on addresses, counties you've lived in, and nationwide on your MVR. They don't mess around.

On your employment, they will go back 5 years, but they will verify every employer you list, regardless. So, if you have employment history beyond 5 years there's no reason to list it unless you want to, but they will verify what you report to them.

Be honest, and be accurate with your employment dates, school dates, etc. They will verify EVERYTHING you submit to them. It's their job to find out whether or not you can be trusted, and that's what it's about more than anything.

Just disclose honestly and accurately, and you should be fine. That said, they aren't going to hire someone who was charged and found guilty of theft or anything regarding stealing from your employer. Common sense on their part.

Good luck everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

twsfbos in SF, California

13 months ago

shesasurething08 said: My mistake. The employment is 5 years but u have to list every job that you had during those years. Whether its 2 or 6. If you dont hireright will find out and mark discrepancies on your report and by reading some forums on here that could cost u your job if you dont be honest. If youre not sure of the dates make sure you make that cleart thireright and to your recruiter. They may require you to show proof. In my case I.just got my irs transcript printed out. That helped alot. But anywho good luck.

Did you get fingerprinted for your shoplifting charge?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

legrandamber@gmail.com in Brooklyn, New York

8 months ago

Will Converse hire someone who got caught stealing? I got caught stealing at Target back in 2009, They put me on this list for 7 years and I cant work at certain jobs because of it. HELP What should I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Virgie, Kentucky

8 months ago

^ Try not stealing..

On a serious note there isn't anything you can do until they take you off that list.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.