AT&T HIRING PROCESS - MARCH 2013

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Fresh_HireTX in Lewisville, Texas

21 months ago

First, I have to say that AT&T is a very big company, employing more than 330,000 people worldwide. If you understand this then you can probably understand why the hiring process is extremely selective and lengthy. My first advice to anyone wishing to be hired: be very patient and don't rush to any conclusions.

A friend of mine, who works for an AT&T retail store in another city gave me his ATTUID to list him as a reference for AT&T job applications. He informed me that AT&T retail does a lot of hiring in March-April, so I jumped full-speed applying for every retail store "sales' position, and every time AT&T sent me (via email) new job openings I always responded and applied very quickly.

The second week of March, I finally got a phone call from an AT&T recruiter and was scheduled for an interview immediately. I went in on a Monday (March 11th) and interviewed. The interview was an hour long. It consisted of scenario questions: "...tell me about a time you had to overcome several "no" answers before making a sale to a difficult customer." I answered about a half dozen of these scenario-based questions. Mind you, the store manager who interviewed me was SHARP and at the top of his game! He went through the presentation of the company word-for-word like a machine, without skipping a beat. I got through the interview and felt I did well.

A week later I interviewed with a store manager, and completed a second - and shorter interview. I was offered a position three days later, conditional on passing the background check. The background check took 6 days total, and I just found out that I passed. My recruiter called, congratulated me and said, "Welcome Aboard AT&T!" Training begins in May.

Be patient! Have your answers ready for interviews. Be prepared to answer questions about your background. HireRight is thorough!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

SomeGuy in Homewood, Illinois

20 months ago

Did you have any problems with the background check? I think that my dates may be a little off. Also, may have had a speeding ticket that I didnt list. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ReadyToWork12 in Texas

20 months ago

I didn't have any issues. As long as your dates are close you're good. I don't know about the tickets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Fresh_HireTX in Lewisville, Texas

20 months ago

The tickets will not be a problem, although a DUI may seriously put you on the wrong side of the decision to hire you.

My advice to everyone is this: be detailed and upfront about ANYTHING questionable in your past over the last 7 years. Traffic tickets, misdemeanors, felonies, job history... put it all on the table because either way it's going to come up in HireRight's background check on you. Anywhere you've lived in the last 7 years will come to the surface, and they will most certainly check Court Records for every county associated with your past 7 years of residence, and that's in addition to what your driver's license(s) bring to the light.

So, be honest and detailed with your information. As long as you are honest you still have a chance, regardless of your history. Obviously, some things are going to disqualify you but it's better to be upfront and give yourself a chance than to be caught in a lie and discarded immediately.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

peter bidart in Decatur, Georgia

19 months ago

Have a question I got offer letter and did background check everything is completed and have heard anything I also try to log back in on the pre on boarding site and it says access denied does that mean I didn't get hired? Please help I'm freaking out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ReadyToWork12 in Texas

19 months ago

No, that site can only be accessed one time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jack c. in Frisco, Texas

19 months ago

peter bidart in Decatur, Georgia said: Have a question I got offer letter and did background check everything is completed and have heard anything I also try to log back in on the pre on boarding site and it says access denied does that mean I didn't get hired? Please help I'm freaking out

There is nothing to freak out about. You just have to wait like everyone does to hear back from your recruiter. You can always email your recruiter and follow-up, just don't come across to him/her the same way you are here, like your panicking. Relax. It is a process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

I guess I'm freaking out because I had on discrepancy cause I was off on one of my employment dates and I have a driving misdemeanor in 09 cause I didn't know my license was suspended but I was upfront and listed it. Would this hurt me. Everything else came back OK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jack c. in Frisco, Texas

19 months ago

peter bidart in Decatur, Georgia said: I guess I'm freaking out because I had on discrepancy cause I was off on one of my employment dates and I have a driving misdemeanor in 09 cause I didn't know my license was suspended but I was upfront and listed it. Would this hurt me. Everything else came back OK

If you were upfront on the application there is nothing to worry about. If you were still suspended I can see where it may be an issue. Typically they don't give you a misdemeanor just because your license was suspended though...so you would probably want to explain to the recruiter why you had a misdemeanor.

How long ago were you informed about your background check being completed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Because I was caught driving and I didn't know it was. Had a court date and everything it comes up as a sec degree. No criminal stuff at all. And I was up front about it in the hire right application. I was informed by hireright on Friday. On background it says adjudication set. They would have least let me know by now if they were rescinded it right? What about being off on one of my employment dates?

jack c.

19 months ago

peter bidart in Decatur, Georgia said: Because I was caught driving and I didn't know it was. Had a court date and everything it comes up as a sec degree. No criminal stuff at all. And I was up front about it in the hire right application. I was informed by hireright on Friday. On background it says adjudication set. They would have least let me know by now if they were rescinded it right? What about being off on one of my employment dates?

If you were off a few months it still wouldn't affect you...your recruiter would just ask you for clarification. I would think the recruiter would have contacted you by now since you heard about the background check on Friday, but the recruiter could be very busy. If I were you I would just send the recruiter a follow-up and say you're just checking on status. Be positive in your email...don't come across as insecure or paranoid. Convey your excitement about the position and wait for the reply. Above all - don't worry. Maintain your dignity. Everything happens for a reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

robert b in Houston, Texas

18 months ago

I applied for a tech position, was tested, passed and was interviewed. The next day I received an email saying congratulations I have been put into a pool of candidates. I applied for the same position in 7 different cities throughout the state because I am willing to move. Of them, 5 postings say that I am awaiting HR review. My question is about Hire Right that you all are talking about. On the online application, I submitted that I made more than I can prove. I am a waiter at a restaurant and my W-2 form shows that I make less than I actually do. Is that going to be an issue when they call my employer????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Caitlin in Cedar Park, Texas

18 months ago

I start training in St. Louis on July 11, 2013. If anyone has questions about the process BEFORE training, I can help!

I have a question for anyone who already did training. I will be training PT for a PT RSC position. Do they fly you first class or business class? Or do they just put you in coach? I'm not trying to be picky. I'm just curious! Anyone else going to training in St. Louis on 7/11/13?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ReadyToWork12 in Texas

18 months ago

Caitlin in Cedar Park, Texas said: I start training in St. Louis on July 11, 2013. If anyone has questions about the process BEFORE training, I can help!

I have a question for anyone who already did training. I will be training PT for a PT RSC position. Do they fly you first class or business class? Or do they just put you in coach? I'm not trying to be picky. I'm just curious! Anyone else going to training in St. Louis on 7/11/13?

They will fly you out in the cheapest way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rackham12 in Central, Mississippi

18 months ago

For everyone asking questions about the background check...

Think about it if it were you children for example if you were in the market for someone to take care of your loved ones for a month and you ran background checks would you be okay knowing some of them got through the cracks due to the failed efforts of a hiring company?

No you would not.

HireRight is company that is dedicated to finding everything about you. Stop asking questions about "I stole a piece of gum before but was not charged." You answered your own question!!! How can a company designed to dig through County Clerk records have any idea you did that?? Use common sense. These boards are filled with useful information but some of the questions and some of your grammar mistakes are horrendous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake2488 in Martins Ferry, Ohio

16 months ago

Fresh_HireTX in Lewisville, Texas said: The tickets will not be a problem, although a DUI may seriously put you on the wrong side of the decision to hire you.

My advice to everyone is this: be detailed and upfront about ANYTHING questionable in your past over the last 7 years. Traffic tickets , misdemeanors, felonies, job history... put it all on the table because either way it's going to come up in HireRight's background check on you. Anywhere you've lived in the last 7 years will come to the surface, and they will most certainly check Court Records for every county associated with your past 7 years of residence, and that's in addition to what your driver 's license(s) bring to the light.

So, be honest and detailed with your information. As long as you are honest you still have a chance, regardless of your history. Obviously, some things are going to disqualify you but it's better to be upfront and give yourself a chance than to be caught in a lie and discarded immediately.

Good luck!

I received a DUI in June, although the officer who handled the situation incorrectly filled out the paperwork and my lawyer is trying to have in throw out or lowered to a wreckless opp. I don't go to court until august 28th and I will getting my background packet within the next week. Should I mention this in my info even though the background check will be done before I go to court? HELP PLEASE!

Jake2488 in Martins Ferry, Ohio

16 months ago

jack c. said: If you were off a few months it still wouldn't affect you...your recruiter would just ask you for clarification. I would think the recruiter would have contacted you by now since you heard about the background check on Friday, but the recruiter could be very busy. If I were you I would just send the recruiter a follow-up and say you're just checking on status. Be positive in your email...don't come across as insecure or paranoid. Convey your excitement about the position and wait for the reply. Above all - don't worry. Maintain your dignity. Everything happens for a reason.

I received a DUI in June, although the officer who handled the situation incorrectly filled out the paperwork and my lawyer is trying to have in throw out or lowered to a wreckless opp. I don't go to court until august 28th and I will getting my background packet within the next week. Should I mention this in my info even though the background check will be done before I go to court? HELP PLEASE!

TY504 in chestertown, Maryland

14 months ago

Can anyone tell me details about training in Irving, tx? where ill be staying, i heard its like a campus there so they have a dinning hall so meal card will only be for weekends? will a shuttle take you to walmart? i start Oct 13!

myearajones in Los Alamitos, California

13 months ago

I have a question on how to get in contact with the hiring maanger...anyone have any insight or can anyone help me out??

Jun Mantupar in Pahoa, Hawaii

9 months ago

SomeGuy in Homewood, Illinois said: Did you have any problems with the background check? I think that my dates may be a little off. Also, may have had a speeding ticket that I didnt list. Any advice?

Go to your local IRS office and request your Income and Wage Transcripts for the last 5 years. Also, if you have any tickets, get that information from the Police Department Receiving Desk. They'll have the dates for you. You want to be as honest as possible because HireRight is going to be as thorough as they possible. Be as precise and honest as you can be, the last thing you want to come up on your report are the words "unable to verify" without a good and documented reason.

NAJA MONGER in Memphis, Tennessee

5 months ago

I have passed two or three test and have not been contacted for the conference call... when I check the status of my application it says I qualified based on the testing... what's next?? I'M freaking out I really want/need this job. Does anyone have a number I can call to speed things up?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.