AT&T HireRight Background Check Issue

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Positronic in Biloxi, Mississippi

17 months ago

Recently, I got a call back about a Wire Technician job from AT&T I applied for. I've already taken the aptitude test, gone to their "Real Job Preview", and taken the drug screen and physical. Yesterday, I got an email for my background check. After filling everything out to the best of my knowledge (some dates may be a little off for the older jobs), I got an email back asking about my "Self Employed" employment.

Now, this was just something I did on the side while I was finishing up my degrees in college and as such, I was paid on a job-to-job basis in cash, so I don't have any kind of W2 forms, 1099's, or whatever else to submit, which is what the HireRight email said they needed from me to "verify" this employment.

Does anyone know if not having this is going to disqualify me for the position? I feel this would be very unfair considering the amount of time I've waited and the effort I've put in to try and get this position. If anyone out there has any advice or experience with similar situation, I'd really appreciate the input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Queenbea in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

17 months ago

Positronic in Biloxi, Mississippi said: Recently, I got a call back about a Wire Technician job from AT&T I applied for. I've already taken the aptitude test, gone to their "Real Job Preview", and taken the drug screen and physical. Yesterday, I got an email for my background check. After filling everything out to the best of my knowledge (some dates may be a little off for the older jobs), I got an email back asking about my "Self Employed" employment.

Now, this was just something I did on the side while I was finishing up my degrees in college and as such, I was paid on a job-to-job basis in cash, so I don't have any kind of W2 forms, 1099's, or whatever else to submit, which is what the HireRight email said they needed from me to "verify" this employment.

Does anyone know if not having this is going to disqualify me for the position? I feel this would be very unfair considering the amount of time I've waited and the effort I've put in to try and get this position. If anyone out there has any advice or experience with similar situation, I'd really appreciate the input.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my husband was in a similar situation in which he was working for a club on weekends and receiving cash (not verifiable). He added this to his work experience and Hireright did flag him because he was unable to produce a w2 or paystubs....End result...AT&T rescinded their offer because of that. Now we could have tried to get a letter from the Club Owner but we did not. Maybe you can gather some type of proof of income and quickly. They give you a certain amount of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Littlefoot in Conroe, Texas

17 months ago

Positronic in Biloxi, Mississippi said: Recently, I got a call back about a Wire Technician job from AT&T I applied for. I've already taken the aptitude test, gone to their "Real Job Preview", and taken the drug screen and physical. Yesterday, I got an email for my background check. After filling everything out to the best of my knowledge (some dates may be a little off for the older jobs), I got an email back asking about my "Self Employed" employment.

If not on record they will not know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

You may be screwed. First, don't mention self-employment ever again unless you can prove it. Second, save every pay stub from here on out.

My sister had to "prove" that she once worked for a bank that went belly up. We both have all our paystubs going back 10 years. YOU are the one who needs to prove that you once worked where you say you did. This is different job market now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Queenbea in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my husband was in a similar situation in which he was working for a club on weekends and receiving cash (not verifiable). He added this to his work experience and Hireright did flag him because he was unable to produce a w2 or paystubs....End result...AT&T rescinded their offer because of that. Now we could have tried to get a letter from the Club Owner but we did not. Maybe you can gather some type of proof of income and quickly. They give you a certain amount of time.

With companies going belly up and merging left and right, you need to save all your paystubs from now on. A lot of big companies use 3rd party verifiers now and if you get too many "unable to verifies", you won't get the job. No, they won't tell you this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (108) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: You may be screwed. First, don't mention self-employment ever again unless you can prove it. Second, save every pay stub from here on out.

My sister had to "prove" that she once worked for a bank that went belly up. We both have all our paystubs going back 10 years. YOU are the one who needs to prove that you once worked where you say you did. This is different job market now.

I got a call Friday and it's looking like they will offer me the job after I cleared things up with them. Didn't need to provide any kind of documentation, I just explained (luckily to an American this time) my situation and how I got paid for my self-employment.

The job market is the same now as it has been for years...it's tough to get anything. I'll continue to list my self-employment on applications and keep it on my resume as other employers, both past and ones that have contacted me about jobs I wasn't able to take because they were too far out of state, have liked the experience. Thanks for the advice though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Happy to say AT&T called me this afternoon and I start work Friday. Hopefully this story helps some more of you out there if you have similar issues. Best of luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

inneyeseakay in Lexington, South Carolina

16 months ago

Was your "self-employment" within the last five years or beyond?

Firefishe in Missouri

15 months ago

The solution is to start a grass-roots campaign to shut down HireRight. The company has an obvious--and odious--track record, themselves, so how can they be entrusted to perform proper background checks?

I don't like today's job market. When I started working around sixteen, in the early '80's, all one had to do was get a job application, fill it out, and expect a call back...or not. We didn't have 'online' back then, so people had to pound the pavement and actually do the legwork, themselves.

I don't mind filling applications out on the 'net. I've done a lot, including trucking companies. If you want to talk about background checks, try applying for a job at a common carrier. You'll get your fill of background checks. It's no big deal for people with no criminal histories, it just takes a lot of time. No problem for me, so it went smoothly.

Now, what I despise more than fraudulent background check companies is even more pervasive these days: Personality/Honesty Surveys. These things should be regulated out of existence. I can never pass them. Also, they have these wishy-washy answers, like "somewhat agree" and "somewhat disagree." What the ???? is that?

Granted, I *know* what it is, but I'm not stupid enough to want to continue to apply for a company (and I'd really like an opportunity to work with a company like AT&T and be taught sales and salesmanship) that must insist on using techniques that cannot possibly give them an indication of how I might be able to sell something.

Despite the fact that I've been around cellular since the old A/B AMPS days. (Analog Mobile Phone System, you know, when you only had two carriers and were restricted to geographical areas?) Well, the days of hard-installs-in-your-car-trunk, with 25 Watt power output and cb-like antennas are gone, now. >>>Continued>>>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

11 months ago

Oh oh my goodness. Stop the bitching about the assessment test. They have every right to do a screening and to select people who have the attitude and thought process that they want.

On the other hand, I am having complications with my self employment as well. they asked for a w2 and I straight up told them it was a sole proprietorship and so there is not proof of when the company started or when it ended. I did however, go through the mess of the IRS and provide hireright with my 1040 for a year, the only year that showed my company on it. then when the background check was completed, the staffing manager emailed me and requested a w2 for the company. I told her there is no way to prove the start and end dates and there is no w2. And then she asked me for some tax thing but I told her it would not show the company. I hope this doesn't mess anything up. I am an amazing candidate. I took screenshots of emails from orders that I have received with my company over the past 5 years and I email them to her. I even emailed an ad for a magazine that we had, and I gave her the link to the myspace page she can look up if she wanted to see when the page first started. I replied to her within 10 minutes, but I haven't heard back from her in 2 days. Yikes. On the edge of my seat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bdubs in Texas

11 months ago

Got an email today saying background cleared and I'm good to go. Good lord.....they had me so upset...

hoopsonfire17 in Palm Coast, Florida

11 months ago

bdubs in Texas said: Got an email today saying background cleared and I'm good to go. Good lord.....they had me so upset...

hey bdubs, I have recently gone through the entire hiring process as well. I am currently awaiting background clearance and I do my drug screening in 2 days. How long did your whole background process take? I have no history or anything so I was hoping it goes smoothly and quickly.

bdubs

11 months ago

I think mine took about 10 days. It felt like forever. It was very stressful. But this was only because I had my own company for awhile and they would not stop bugging me for proof that it existed. Which was hard to provide because there are no W 2's and I only did taxes on the company for one year because it was a sole proprietorship and not profitable. Its still gave me tons of experience though. I ended up screen shotting 5 years worth of PayPal invoices and sending them to her. I don't know if it counted as an official document, but after I forwarded her so many on official documents about the company, maybe they just accepted it. Or maybe they thought it was okay that I could prove it because I was still working my other job during the time as well. She didn't really tell me, I just got an email saying that I pass the background check. I did everything I could to speed it along. I sent things when they asked for it and went to the IRS as quickly as I could. And when I didn't hear back from her, I sent her an email asking what was going on with it. So if your information is very straightforward, it's likely that the background check will go very quickly for you. But you have a part in this too. If you react quickly, you can help it move along. also when it asks for the company phone number, I put down the hr or corporate numbers because I figured it would be faster and easier for hire right. Plus I'm not even sure that some of my managers know how to access that information.

bdubs

11 months ago

I was tired of waiting I needed to put in my two weeks and thought it was ridiculous that they would not stop bugging me about the forms that I told them they did not exist. I needed to move on. I was very close to sending her a harsh email. Not too bad, still professional, a kind of an email saying hey you need to let me know what's going on so I can put in my two weeks why I'm going to look somewhere else because I'm a good candidate or maybe I will just reapply and not put this stupid job on the application. It was quite ridiculous. I was getting pissed off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

serenesoul in Miami, Florida

11 months ago

bdubs said: I was tired of waiting I needed to put in my two weeks and thought it was ridiculous that they would not stop bugging me about the forms that I told them they did not exist. I needed to move on. I was very close to sending her a harsh email. Not too bad, still professional, a kind of an email saying hey you need to let me know what's going on so I can put in my two weeks why I'm going to look somewhere else because I'm a good candidate or maybe I will just reapply and not put this stupid job on the application. It was quite ridiculous. I was getting pissed off.

Im in the same boat as you. I got a copy of my background check and everything looks ok. I only saw one discrepancy with a job title and I want to call ATT to clear it. I also want to give my two weeks notice and can't do it cause they haven't called me. I emailed n recruiter and she didn't answer im a little worried.

fgutierrez from puerto rico

11 months ago

Hireright its the worst company ever a I am waiting for 2 weeks to they complete my background check yesterday I call and tell me that they only need to verified my last job and that the today its be completed I call today and they tell me that my transcript credit from high school was not verified because its to dark and I send last week the original document and was very clear and they tell me to send it a copy of the transcript today and I send and I send a email to hr of att tellin everything that happen and that its very unsusl still no answer the first time in my life I been through this process 2 weeks for a background check ??? This is rare because I background checks before and never this long very incompetent for a company and look shady and att look like the fbi or cia verified every detail of our life

vico from puerto rico

11 months ago

Very bad company this hireright not professional

angdiddy in Bronx, New Jersey

11 months ago

My experience with hireright was pretty painless, I read the horror stories and prepared myself for the worse but I sent in my bg check forms when I got them on Tuesday October 1st, took my drug test Wednesday the 2nd, was cleared Thursday the 3rd. I was basically worried about nothing!

serenesoul827 in Florida

11 months ago

My overall experience was somewhat dificult. I sent my forms on tuesday drug test wednesday they called the phone number I gave wednesday since they didnt answer they required my most recent paystub that showed my hire date. After thay they didnt require anything my school info was found fast the only thing I will say that I had traffic tickets and none showed on my background. After submitting my paystub they finished on saturday and got the accepted offer on wednesday so all in all about a week to finish. Hire right wasnt that bad but they did require some documents

jesus from P.R.

11 months ago

Hello
I call yesterday to hireright and they tell me that my background check its complete and they send to att Wednesday afternoon but today its friday and nobody its calling me from att I should be worried?? Or wait to they call??

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.