What's the company culture at Accenture?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Accenture?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Accenture?

Reply - Report abuse

Shelly in Chicago, Illinois

90 months ago

Joe in Bloomingdale, Illinois said: Stay a way from these backstubbers

Can you please clarify? I know someone currently employed at Accenture as a Consultant. She has a Bachelor's degree in Human Computer Interaction. She has been recommending I work here because they pay well, and have great benefits. She claims she only works 40 hours a week and her starting pay was $45,000 and within 6 months her salary went to $50,000. She travels Monday-Thursday and works from home on Fridays. Sounds great to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

Thomas

89 months ago

Accenture is one of the lowest paid consulting firms. They can not keep their experienced hires. Yes, 45k might look good to a person fresh out of college but not one who has worked for years.

Accenture has a very HIGH attrition rate.

And that travel you speak of is not all that keen either. Especially if you have a family. Usually when you are working out of town means WORK it is not all play especially when they feel you are going home to a hotel not family they will work the mess out of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

risk manager in Madison, Wisconsin

89 months ago

Thomas in Onia, Arkansas said: I agree with Joe. Since the culture is so competitive you have to stay away from the BACKSTABBERS! They say they want to see you succeed but when it comes to the promotion process you are set in a sitution like you are on Survivor or something.

You get voted and ranked to get a promo. I hope you are liked because if ONE person does not like you GOD FORBID. But if the person has a good friend Old Bob who is there MAN but did very little defining work yet you did more defining work..OLD BOB will get promoted only because his connects!

Piece of SHYT!

BEWARE THE HEAD OF THE RISK MANAGEMENT UNIT..CONTROLLING..ANGRY...PUSHY..LOUD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Truthiz in Millburn, New Jersey

89 months ago

Accenture is one lousy back-stabbing Company. There are a bunch of young college grds running around attempting to act like professionals. The cliques are truly a deterient to a good work environment. Managers are liars and unsupportive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

tman in Moncure, North Carolina

88 months ago

any info on their sap training program? how long it takes to hear from them after applying & how easy to get a position once finished?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

concerned in Madison, Wisconsin

87 months ago

Rob in Austin, Texas said: I'm sorry but I disagree with Joe and Thomas.

It's competitive, no doubt. But they're great at what they do, they pay well, and give good benefits.

I feel it's very tough to get in and thus a lot of people complain and hate the company.

Complete Shyt is right. The work environment is filled with self serving sharks. Who paid this person off? HR?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Thomas in Exeter, Missouri

87 months ago

SAP Training program?? I thought you had to be working with the company before they start giving ANY type of SAP Training. Any Joe Blow off the street will HAVE to have SAP skill off top or NO DIE!

Your best bet to succeed is to grab some big wig's coat tail and ride the wave but for those who have a sense of self worth and can not do the OVER KILL on the A z z Kissing ..I mean Networking may not go as far in the company. It is a shame but it is politics.

Accenture actually has a list of rules that is called "HOW TO PLAY THE GAME".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in New York, New York

87 months ago

Anyone who works at Accenture wants to get to a Management grade. The Management grade pays a decent bonus. As a result they have a high attrition rate of those who do not reach the grade and they staff projects with kids right out of college. I am in the tecnical arena. If your experienced and can deal with constant questions from junior levels than the job is for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Passionate About HR in San Antonio, Texas

81 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Accenture?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

I work in the San Antonio office. The culture is pretty laid back; almost too laid back in a sense. People get away with anything here. For example, most leads are too spineless (at least, in my area) to do something as simple as send someone home for violating dress code. Because of that, we get no casual Friday's. Supposedly center management "can't get a handle on the dress code." So, everyone is punished for the lead's not doing their jobs. The casual Friday's we do get, we have to pay for. "You will be allowed to wear jeans if you pay $5 which will go towards <<insert charity here>>."

But business casual during the week. Open toe shoes, khaki's, polos... no sleeveless shirts, though... etc. I like the business casual.

My particular team doesn't usually socialize outside of the office. We already spend too much time together as it is... most of us are pretty overworked. Might do get together's... but it's rare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

BTC in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

I was a manager at Accenture in the consulting workforce, and it was a great, though tough experience.

Some pluses are that you get a lot of exposure and experience, with potential career progression, rapidly; high expectations tend to bring out the best in everyone; most of the people are somewhat similar (type A personality, well rounded, outgoing), which makes getting along with colleagues much easier; an established career counseling system (though can fluctuate with that actual career counselor); and it is a great place to start and grow a career. Strong, unifying culture (though experienced hires can find this difficult).

Some downsides are that work/life balance can range from not very good to awful; starting pay for an undergrad is OK, but not great (though it gets better, quickly, as you are promoted); it is very competitive, meaning that just doing a good job is not always enough to advance your career; not every project is enjoyable work or great for your career; and internal networking is critical, which isn't always easy for people. Also, the up-or-out model in consulting can leave some people who are good at delivery stuck in a career rut around sales/sustained client relationships around the Sr. Manager level. Especially in consulting, they do a crappy job of integrating experienced hires.

The promotion process is tough to accept until you've gone through a few cycles as an executive. When evaluating personnel it is rarely apples to apples, and some of the banding & laddering discussions can be influenced by executives who are better at making the case for their people. That being said, while not always popular, they tend to get it right about 97% of the time, with very few mistakes in promotions. Salary increases are tougher, since that is very HR and Senior Executive driven.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

anna123 in Natick, Massachusetts

77 months ago

Accenture violates their employees First Amendment rights!!

A developer here wrote a not so favorable review of a software belonging to Accenture's partner company. This person got pulled into a meeting with director heads of the unit and this person was informed that if he doesn't take the blog off line that it would be terms for DISMISSAL.

If this is not a violation of the First Amendment I don't know what is.

---
oh and if the client doesn't like you for some reason, you won't get promoted in accenture. Beware of promises made to you by the management, they are never true. Everything that the Accenture management tells you is meant to keep you in check, do as you're told, and not to step out of line. No one is interested in rewarding you for a job well done.
-----

btw yeah acceture might pay you $45k and that might seem like a lot to you, but in reality they are billing 3times that much to the client.. and believe me.. you'll never see a penny of that. Remember in consoling after 2 years it's either Up or Out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JT in San Antonio, Texas

65 months ago

Thomas said: Accenture is one of the lowest paid consulting firms. They can not keep their experienced hires. Yes, 45k might look good to a person fresh out of college but not one who has worked for years.

Accenture has a very HIGH attrition rate.

And that travel you speak of is not all that keen either. Especially if you have a family. Usually when you are working out of town means WORK it is not all play especially when they feel you are going home to a hotel not family they will work the mess out of you.

Yes when traveling all you do is work even back at the hotel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gphig in Mableton, Georgia

65 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Accenture?

Accenture does pay their employees very low salaries and their turnover rate for experienced hires in 95%. Most of the experienced hires leave the company 6 months to 1 year after starting with the company. I would suggest looking at other consulting companies unless you are right out of college. Accenture is very competative when it comes bonuses and increases. You have to rank high with your peers on other projects that have the same job title but perform a different job. You almost have to work two jobs (your and at least one other on another project) if you plan to advance in the company. Look some where else

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

BTC in Philadelphia in Norcross, Georgia

27 months ago

Type A? as in Jacob Goldsmith theory? curious. what you say all makes sense. I cant travel and i suspected I would have to have quite soon. there are a lot of negative reviews of Accenture. Tends to put potential hires. Delloite is far more positive. Pity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

I cant figure out how to make direct replies on this thing

BTC in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I was a manager at Accenture in the consulting workforce, and it was a great, though tough experience.

Some pluses are that you get a lot of exposure and experience, with potential career progression, rapidly; high expectations tend to bring out the best in everyone; most of the people are somewhat similar (type A personality, well rounded, outgoing), which makes getting along with colleagues much easier; an established career counseling system (though can fluctuate with that actual career counselor ); and it is a great place to start and grow a career. Strong, unifying culture (though experienced hires can find this difficult).

Some downsides are that work/life balance can range from not very good to awful; starting pay for an undergrad is OK, but not great (though it gets better, quickly, as you are promoted); it is very competitive, meaning that just doing a good job is not always enough to advance your career; not every project is enjoyable work or great for your career; and internal networking is critical, which isn't always easy for people. Also, the up-or-out model in consulting can leave some people who are good at delivery stuck in a career rut around sales/sustained client relationships around the Sr. Manager level. Especially in consulting, they do a crappy job of integrating experienced hires.

The promotion process is tough to accept until you've gone through a few cycles as an executive . When evaluating personnel it is rarely apples to apples, and some of the banding & laddering discussions can be influenced by executives who are better at making the case for their people. That being said, while not always popular, they tend to get it right about 97% of the time, with very few mistakes in promotions. Salary increases are tougher, since that is very HR and Senior Executive driven.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

BTC in Philadelphia in Norcross, Georgia said: I cant figure out how to make direct replies on this thing

LOL :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Moochie in Kansas City, Missouri

21 months ago

To answer the actual question, and not just use this forum for group therapy of Borderline Personality Disorders, what is the office environment and culture like at Accenture, I'll tell you. I've been with the firm since 2000, and it will vary based on your role within the organization, and whether you're client-facing or not. In my years here I've worked at Fortune 500 companies and for the Federal and local government, so the office environment is conditional.

The culture of Accenture though, usually remains strong no matter where you're working or who your team is. We are high-performers, some may claim somewhat 'Type-A' or 'OCD' but I think a more common description is that we're 'Drivers.' We're consistently listed as a great place to start or launch a career. It may not be the environment for everyone, so we may not be seen as the best place to live out your career. But that's up to the individual, and the career path is very much up to you.

Dress code also varies with the client work. For the most part I've been business casual, but there were clients where suits were required, close-toed shoes, etc. Generally we try to dress one step above to make a good first impression, and then the same as our clients after that.

I've participated in happy hours, but there is a difference between company sponsored as opposed to unsponsored. The former is more about networking and to facilitate team-building. The latter is more about friends who want to hang out.

There are no typical days at Accenture, you'll get from it what you bring to it.

The common denominator for me, and everyone I've worked with, is that we like the people we are around and often remain connected even after someone rolls off a project or moves to another company. We are hard to get into, and a challenge for experienced hires. We are not for everyone, but if it's a fit you'll know it soon enough, or at least be challenged enough to stay for a year or more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Katz Craig in Chicago, Illinois

1 month ago

risk manager in Madison, Wisconsin said: BEWARE THE HEAD OF THE RISK MANAGEMENT UNIT..CONTROLLING..ANGRY...PUSHY..LOUD

Yes, I have found this to absolutely to be true. And when layoff time comes which is every year if the leadership team that has been their forever does not meet their #'s to align their fat pockets, the experienced and probably the more talented people get let go. Don't get sucked in, you will waste your time, not learn as much as you would going almost anywhere else and get treated pretty poorly by Accenture Leadership. Their HR Team - especially now - is a complete disaster. They produce lots of meaningless slide where and programs that win lots of awards due to marketing but when you dig into employee satis fact #'s that have recently begun to define into the 60 percentile range, you'll find a recurring theme of poor leadership, development, poor advancement unless you have a friend or are married to someone in the old guard...and generally people are unhappy. Their leadership development programs are also a complete joke compared to any com pay that is serious about development.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.