How to get a job at Accenture.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 65)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Accenture? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Looking in Minneapolis, Minnesota

92 months ago

I feel it's nearly impossible to get even an interview with Accenture. I'm trying to apply for an entry level position but I keep getting the run around. I really do feel I have the qualities they're looking for but I just can't get my foot in the door! I even called a recruiter (after much work trying to get a number) but she was a little hesitant to answer some of my general questions - saying it'd be better to just apply for a job and see if I get a response. I'm a fairly recent grad (less than two years) so I know I have a little more experience than someone who just graduated. I'm so determined to get this, but it seems all the avenues are hopeless. What does it take - an Ivy League education? - a friend inside the company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (94) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Jason Bennett in Bothell, Washington

91 months ago

Dude in Austin, Texas said: Folks
Not true I worked for Accenture twice and its a great company. You have to have great resume' to get in this company. The first time I was on with them was after I got out of the Navy and the Second Time after I left Ernst & Young. The actually called me to come back for more money and a promotion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in San Antonio, Texas

91 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Accenture? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

The company is not all that - atleast in San Antonio; although it seems good every where else. The company has only been in San Antonio for less than a year and is still trying to get itself together - there's a strong a favoritism towards Hispanics etc. I left b/c of reasons I will not mention, but I am more than positive you can find a better position elsewhere

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ted in Los Angeles, California

91 months ago

CPI in Haverford, Pennsylvania said: I interviewed with the recruiter and than was scheduled with the hiring manager. The hiring manager cancelled the interview twice. Once two days before the schelduled time and than the the same day/time of the rescheduled time. After this, I think it was a waste of time, it seemed like almost they were to busy to deal with interviewing or had someone else in mind. It left me with a bad impression of the company and the hiring manager wanted to schedule again, but I did not want to waste my time. Since I was taking time off my regular job for these cancelled interviews.

The same thing happened to me (well, at Avanade, which is part of Accenture). It's very disrespectful, especially when they know you took a day off from work to get to the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Houston Professional

91 months ago

Anon in San Antonio, Texas said: The company is not all that - atleast in San Antonio; although it seems good every where else. The company has only been in San Antonio for less than a year and is still trying to get itself together - there's a strong a favoritism towards Hispanics etc. I left b/c of reasons I will not mention, but I am more than positive you can find a better position elsewhere

It appears that San Antonio can not attract professionals outside of the Hispanics. One would have to be very careful taking a job there. I do not believe it is good to have a group of employees that come from the same school of thought. Diversity is really needed in the San Antonio job market in order to prevent career sabotage. The company is looking for cheap labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Houston Professional

90 months ago

white professional in Edison, New Jersey said: Stop generalizing ... maybe you're just upset since you didn't get the job. Hispanics don't get cheap labor, its illegal.

White Professional - Why do you think Accenture left the Houston market and went to San Antonio? Houston has a far better talent pool than San Antonio. You do the math.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Scottsdale, Arizona

90 months ago

I can't even get a chance to have a bad interview. I have over 20 yrs experience as Cobol/CICS/DB2, but I never get a response. Does this company discriminate against older employees or what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Anon in San Antonio, Texas said: The company is not all that - atleast in San Antonio; although it seems good every where else. The company has only been in San Antonio for less than a year and is still trying to get itself together - there's a strong a favoritism towards Hispanics etc. I left b/c of reasons I will not mention, but I am more than positive you can find a better position elsewhere

The company had a recruiter contact me after I had posted my resume online - that is how I got the interview. I don't know that I really have advice for someone trying to get in (at the San Antonio location), I'd suggest some where else if they want to be appreciated and paid decently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Norma in San Antonio, Texas

90 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Accenture? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I currently work for Accenture. This is a great company to work for if you want to gain HR experience. My best advice is to have someone refer you or, provide a 'knock out' cover letter that will stand out from the rest. Most of the candidates that are hired are directly from referals. I think that 80% of our people are referred to our company from friends or family members. Good luck to everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Houston Professional

90 months ago

Norma in San Antonio, Texas said: I currently work for Accenture. This is a great company to work for if you want to gain HR experience. My best advice is to have someone refer you or, provide a 'knock out' cover letter that will stand out from the rest. Most of the candidates that are hired are directly from referals. I think that 80% of our people are referred to our company from friends or family members. Good luck to everyone!

Companies that hire from friends and family members of employees is not a good organization to work for. Everybody looks the same and think the same. Can the company grow in a competitive market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Wow! I am so sorry that you experienced that. I think it does vary by location. The San Antonio office isn't the best location but, it isn't all that bad. Personally, I like my management team and my co-workers. We all have fun and perform our jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Norma in San Antonio, Texas said: I don't agree with you on this comment. Everyone has their own personality. Being hired as a referal means that the person who refered you thinks highly of you. The company who hires referals by employees, repect that.

Or it could also mean the majority is Hispanic and either related, friends, or dating

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Yes I am but, what does that have to do with anything? Is this a derrogatory remark?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Anon in San Antonio, Texas said: Or it could also mean the majority is Hispanic and either related, friends, or dating[/QU

This isn't necessarily true because I referred 2 employees who were hired. Neither one of them are Hispanic. The San Antonio office is very versatile. There isn't too many people of one race.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Houston Professional said: White Professional - Why do you think Accenture left the Houston market and went to San Antonio? Houston has a far better talent pool than San Antonio. You do the math.

THIS FORUM IS INTENDED FOR YOUR OPINION ON ACCENTURE. IT IS NOT INTENDED FOR ANYONE TO DISCRIMINATE AGAINST ANOTHER INDIVIDUAL DUE TOP RACE. YES, SAN ANTONIO HAS A LARGE POPULATION OF HISPANICS BUT, THIS DOES NOT MAKE US MORE OR LESS THAN OTHER RACES. WHY IS LOW-COST LABOR ALWAYS ASSOCIATED TO HISPANICS?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Over Educated in San Antonio, Texas

90 months ago

Norma in San Antonio, Texas said:

please, the bottom line is the pay here is low and the company could do better

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I totally agree, this company is not all that. I currently work here and I am seeking another job as I type this reponse.

90 months ago

Norma in San Antonio, Texas said: I currently work for Accenture. This is a great company to work for if you want to gain HR experience. My best advice is to have someone refer you or, provide a 'knock out' cover letter that will stand out from the rest. Most of the candidates that are hired are directly from referals. I think that 80% of our people are referred to our company from friends or family members. Good luck to everyone!

please, review your comments. Most people are hired because no one else wanted the job, the company has lost 600 employees since Jannuary 2007, you do the math. I know I work in San Antonio and it was discussed in a meeting, less than a week ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Norma in San Antonio, Texas said: Wow! I am so sorry that you experienced that. I think it does vary by location. The San Antonio office isn't the best location but, it isn't all that bad. Personally, I like my management team and my co-workers. We all have fun and perform our jobs.

Have you been promoted? have you seen people who are less qualified be promoted? Well I have not been promoted and I have seen the dirt that goes on, and it not the best place to work.
HR has no knowledge and the leads have no skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I will tell you like I tell all my friends. Apply for the job, take it if offered, but dont try to make it a career.
The management team here lacks experience and you will become very frustrated. So frustrated that you may walk off or leave the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Bothell, Washington

90 months ago

I worked for Accenture for 6 years and its all what you put in it. Just as any other job you work. Accenture a great company. On the other hand if you dont know what you are worth and will work for less thats totally on you. Norma do they have any Facilities Manager jobs in SA?

Carol in San Antonio in Orange, California

89 months ago

They run a lot of ads and have a lot of hype. They always want to hire contractors with an offer of "it may lead to direct". It's a time consuming process. Best way to go is through a recruiter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Josie in Wichita, Kansas

89 months ago

San Antonio - do you outsource to India? Any other country that has no understanding of what your organization does? It is a frustrating joke in Wichita, KS. They losing employees left/right.

89 months ago

Hello. Although Accenture is not a bad company to work for, the pay is horrible. If you have as much as 9 years of experience, you are better off to work for another company. I suppose it depends on what you want.....more money or a good work atmosphere. Unfortunately, at Accenture, you cannot have both. Based on your level of experience and position, you would be at a level B, which is a high paying salary range at Accenture. This level is an average of 38,000-40,000. I don't think this is enough for your experience..would you agree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Anon in San Antonio, Texas said: You are right it is not intended to discrimate, so why do you feel you've been discriminated against? Is your team that you have referenced predominately hispanic? If yes, than can you honestly say it is you that has been discriminated against?

I do not feel discriminated but, the comments are made directly toward Hispanics and how this company is made up of Hispanics. That is my point.

awchristler in Burnaby, British Columbia

89 months ago

Hello,
I have a face to face second interview for a finance position. This is not a consulting position. This company has outsourced their finance department to Accenture. I am very nervous about it and am wondering if you could help me with some tips for my second interview. Do you know what the format of this round 2 interview will be? The recruiter said it would last approx 2 hours. My email address is awchristler@yahoo.com
thanks
Sara

Christian in Dayton, Ohio

89 months ago

I'd stay away from Accenture if your in the US. They are an outsourcing company and do not care one iota for their own. They outsourced me twice and I've never been better leaving that company. Don't waste your time.

JDB123 in Denver, Colorado

89 months ago

Christian in Dayton, Ohio said: I'd stay away from Accenture if your in the US. They are an outsourcing company and do not care one iota for their own. They outsourced me twice and I've never been better leaving that company. Don't waste your time.

Christian, I HAVE to disagree. I am cared for by Accenture very much. So what that they outsource. Would you spend 8 hours a day calling people with the attitudes in this forum to prescreen them for interviews for $8/hr. NO, you wouldn't, either would most people in the USA even though that is all the job is worth. We outsource, yes...but we outsource to our own company. We create jobs and community within our organization. It's not like we are taking jobs away from USA workers, these projects are designed with non usa employees.

As for the caring...where to begin. A co-worker had a child that needed special care, she was able to take a year off and return to her same level of pay. A co-worker's sister died, he was able to take time off to leave the state to take care of her kids. As for me, I've been battling a disease and my benefits at Accenture have taking care of me as well as a huge support system within the organization that has given me their PTO so that I am still getting paid when I am out. This company CARES!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

O. in London, United Kingdom

89 months ago

Hi Norma, My friend just inteviewed for an HR role and although he siad he 'ticked all the boxes, he claimed that the interviewers' faces were cold as ice! From your experience, is that an indicator of a negative response or them having someone else in mind for this role? O.

Norma in Dallas, Texas

89 months ago

Hi!

I really wouldn't worry about the interviewer's reaction. Most of our interviewers are supervisors that are taking
the time to interview candidates, while there is much work to be done. With this said, most of them are very tired and frustrated. I had a great interview.....a group panel interview with 4 interviewers. The main interviewer was halarious and made the interview fun! Tell your friend to relax and not worry!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

charles heinz in Portsmouth, Virginia

89 months ago

Stay away, very bad company to work for, they talk a good came but when you come to work for them they treat you like dirt

Accenture employee in San Antonio, Texas

88 months ago

I have been working for Accenture for one year now. It has great benefits but, the pay is horrible. For a Transactions Representative, the pay range is $23,000-$25,000 at a Level G (second to the lowest position). The workload is heavy and very unorganized. I am currently looking for another job. Accenture did not conduct a good market analysis. Even West Corp. pays more than Accenture. Currenly, they have the contact center people taking calls for as many as 5 clients due to short- staff. There is no additional incentive for taking calls for one client vs. 5. By the way, Accenture is a global company and they DONOT offer bilingual pay. Bottom line........do not work here!!! The turnover rate has skyrocketed over the past months. People are leaving like you would not believe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TGV in Pontiac, Michigan

88 months ago

Jeff in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I can't even get a chance to have a bad interview. I have over 20 yrs experience as Cobol/CICS/DB2, but I never get a response. Does this company discriminate against older employees or what?

My advice is to learn Java and ABAP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

L H in Saint Paul, Minnesota

88 months ago

What kind of salary can be expected for an Application Service Management Project Manager?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Leo Mekus in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

I just got on with Accenture and here is how it played out:

I applied through the website about 5 months ago for an entry level fresh out of college position.
Finally, a recruiter called me for a position I never applied for which required experience in some programming which I never worked with.
I did the phone interview with him and I got an interview in the office.
The face-2-face interview lasted about 3 hours with me spending an hour with 3 different managers: first was on skills where I explained or answered what I know (No lies), second was behavioral questions (no lies), final was a meeting with the executive director of the unit.
I got the offer the next day. NOT what I was hoping for, but I must say I am satisfied because it is NOT a typical travel role (a lil), the office in Houston is about 15 mins from me.

I have read a lot of Negative things about Accenture when I was applying and I related it to my old employer JP Morgan where I worked in IT (No degree)for 8yrs, and all I can say is "Bring it ON !!!!!"

My offer letter was NOT a contract and I sure many other people had the opportunity to skip the company. cry babies!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ED ED ED in Epsom, United Kingdom

86 months ago

How to get a job at accenture is explained here http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/Image:Accenture_logo.jpg

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rkw6086 in Snyder, Texas

85 months ago

The only thing you really have to do is land that first interview. If you believe your skills will be of great use to the company and you feel that you will be a valuable asset to the company, then let them know that in your cover letter. SUBMIT A COVER LETTER! This gives them an idea of your writing abilities. Make sure you tell them that you will be a valuable asset to the company and the perfect choice for the job in your cover letter.

Also, make sure your resume is pretty before you send it over to them. Organization is key when it comes down to your resume and also, highlight all your Microsoft skills since that is what they are looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anita77 in parlin, New Jersey

84 months ago

Hello,
I too got an interview schedulled at acccenture. The information u shared here is very helpful.Can u plz share some info about the interview questions.
Thanks in advance

rkw6086 in Snyder, Texas

84 months ago

Well, I can't really give you any questions because they are various. They will ask you questions in these fields,

Methodologies,
Structures of Classes (What's required, and how to create them),
The pillars of Object Oriented Programing,
Technology in general (Best hardware, best software)
SQL and MS SQL Server,
They will also ask you about Microsoft specific products, and frameworks.
If you have any experience, they will ask you some questions about that,

Now, take my word for it, the questions aren't too hard. But, if you don't know the answer, don't panic. They are looking to see if you have SOME knowledge and potential in what they are hiring you for. (Now, if you have experience, you better know what you are talking about, this only goes IF you are just fresh out of college)

Be honest with your answers, be confident in your self, that's what they are looking for in a consultant. They are really good at picking out people with those traits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Thanks you very much

rkw6086 in Snyder, Texas said: Well, I can't really give you any questions because they are various. They will ask you questions in these fields,

Methodologies,
Structures of Classes (What's required, and how to create them),
The pillars of Object Oriented Programing,
Technology in general (Best hardware, best software)
SQL and MS SQL Server,
They will also ask you about Microsoft specific products, and frameworks.
If you have any experience, they will ask you some questions about that,

Now, take my word for it, the questions aren't too hard. But, if you don't know the answer, don't panic. They are looking to see if you have SOME knowledge and potential in what they are hiring you for. (Now, if you have experience, you better know what you are talking about, this only goes IF you are just fresh out of college)

Be honest with your answers, be confident in your self, that's what they are looking for in a consultant. They are really good at picking out people with those traits.

84 months ago

Hi Leo Mekus,
Can i know about the interview questions they asked.It will be very helpful.
Thanks

Leo Mekus in Houston, Texas said: I just got on with Accenture and here is how it played out:

I applied through the website about 5 months ago for an entry level fresh out of college position.
Finally, a recruiter called me for a position I never applied for which required experience in some programming which I never worked with.
I did the phone interview with him and I got an interview in the office.
The face-2-face interview lasted about 3 hours with me spending an hour with 3 different managers: first was on skills where I explained or answered what I know (No lies), second was behavioral questions (no lies), final was a meeting with the executive director of the unit.
I got the offer the next day. NOT what I was hoping for, but I must say I am satisfied because it is NOT a typical travel role (a lil), the office in Houston is about 15 mins from me.

I have read a lot of Negative things about Accenture when I was applying and I related it to my old employer JP Morgan where I worked in IT (No degree)for 8yrs, and all I can say is "Bring it ON !!!!!"

My offer letter was NOT a contract and I sure many other people had the opportunity to skip the company. cry babies!!!!!

ED ED ED in Epsom, United Kingdom

84 months ago

What do you think of this?! www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/Accenture

rkw6086 in Snyder, Texas

83 months ago

I wouldn't be able to tell you if that level matches your experiences. I work for Avanade. Even though we are partnered with Accenture, we have our own way of doing things. Sorry I can't be anymore help.

One thing I would do is find an Accenture person and ask them personally.

Passionate About HR in San Antonio, Texas

83 months ago

Over Educated in San Antonio, Texas said: I will tell you like I tell all my friends. Apply for the job, take it if offered, but dont try to make it a career.
The management team here lacks experience and you will become very frustrated. So frustrated that you may walk off or leave the job.

Over Educated - I am under the HR Services, and I couldn't agree with you more. You cannot make a career out of this place. I feel like a robot on a factory floor. It is NOT true HR and I was completely mislead about my position. I've been here almost 2 years and I am feverishly looking elsewhere. I have a Bachelor's Degree, I'm working on my Master's and I'm not even cracking $30K - completely pathetic, and shame on me for staying.

I hope everyone who applies to the San Antonio facility realizes it is a call center and not much more. It really doesn't matter what department you're in... the call center drives everything. All I feel like I do in my department is UPS labels. I *LOVE* HR, and most days, I can't believe what I'm doing is an actual "job." I think individuals who are not under "HR Services" (maybe Consulting or Enterprise) are paid at a higher rate and the positions are considered "career" vs. "production" so maybe others might have some promise, there...

As far as promotions go, I can only speak to my department. The only person on my team to be promoted had her head so far up my boss's rear end she could have worn it as a hat. She doesn't do anything different that the rest of us (in fact, she does *less* than what I do) but gets the pay and title because she knows how to "boss's pet."

Pat McNally in Florence, South Carolina

82 months ago

I'm applying for a position with Accenture in St. Petersburg, FL. Does anyone know the name & address of the Human Resources manager to whom I should address my cover letter?

Thanks

Pat

jsl in San Antonio, Texas

80 months ago

Passionate About HR in San Antonio, Texas said: Over Educated - I am under the HR Services, and I couldn't agree with you more. You cannot make a career out of this place. I feel like a robot on a factory floor. It is NOT true HR and I was completely mislead about my position. I've been here almost 2 years and I am feverishly looking elsewhere. I have a Bachelor's Degree, I'm working on my Master's and I'm not even cracking $30K - completely pathetic, and shame on me for staying.

I hope everyone who applies to the San Antonio facility realizes it is a call center and not much more. It really doesn't matter what department you're in... the call center drives everything. All I feel like I do in my department is UPS labels. I *LOVE* HR, and most days, I can't believe what I'm doing is an actual "job." I think individuals who are not under "HR Services" (maybe Consulting or Enterprise) are paid at a higher rate and the positions are considered "career" vs. "production" so maybe others might have some promise, there...

As far as promotions go, I can only speak to my department. The only person on my team to be promoted had her head so far up my boss's rear end she could have worn it as a hat. She doesn't do anything different that the rest of us (in fact, she does *less* than what I do) but gets the pay and title because she knows how to "boss's pet."

Did you negotiate salary? Depending upon if you did or did not that will impact your entire career there. The way I look at it, unless you are working for Red Cross you don't go into the job because you want to make the world a better place. There's a great book by Jack Chapman "Negotiating Your Salary - How to Make $1,000 A Minute" Just breeze through about 20 pages or so and you'll be glad you did.

Kiran09 in Bangalore, India

65 months ago

Bad..and disappointing experience. I had applied for a particular position at Accenture, Bangalore and the HR told me that my resume fits for another requirement and to resend it for that. She told me she will process it afterwards. I sent my resume again and I got no reply afterwards. I called her and she told she will call me back in 10 minutes, took my number and never called back. Hope someone responsible looks at these comments. Highly frustrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sad-Girl in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

Hey Norma, Can you check something for me. Can someone who got laid off from accenture apply for a job in the company again and what is the best way to do that. Please your response might help a lot :( really in trouble now a days!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lester Levine in San Antonio, Texas

62 months ago

Sad-Girl in Houston, Texas said: Hey Norma, Can you check something for me. Can someone who got laid off from accenture apply for a job in the company again and what is the best way to do that. Please your response might help a lot :( really in trouble now a days!

I would say look elsewhere. This is nothing more than a decorated sweatshop with flourescent lights. In many cases sales and marketing wants a high profile client so badly that they will make concessions that drastically affects the employees. And when you have the temerity to ask for more resources because you are doing the job of 5 people you get declined for budgetary reasons.

The pay is also nothing to write home about. Yes I negotiated the salary based upon expectations but Accenture slapped 4 times the work on me within months after being hired. Bottom line - there may be a few cases of happiness but they pale in comparison to the gross reality that is Accenture. All that glitters is not gold and in this case - to say that they are tin foil would be a compliment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.