Account Temps - Robert Half(Wits)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 245)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

anonymous in Ashaway, Rhode Island

105 months ago

Please see comments in the other Forums - Robert Half Technology, Robert Half International, Robert Half Legal, Robert Half Finance & Accounting, Robert Half Resources. They are all the same, they just keep changing names so people don't catch on. Robert Half is full of Half-Wits, so your self a favor & don't send anything to them, don't call them, and don't answer any ads for Robert Half - the job is a fake.

STAY AWAY FROM ROBERT HALF. I live in the MA, CT, RI area. The NE area has fewer and fewer jobs available, however, if you go to the job boards your bombarded with listings for dozens & dozens of jobs in specific areas. There is NO WAY possible so many open jobs exist. These headhunter's don't give a damn about you or your situation they are sales people looking for their next commission. Most of them are rejects who can't find a job themselfs. There are no jobs, they make up jobs and post them,they are just tring to get as many resumes as they can & as soon as a job does come available they bombard the hiring company with tons of resumes hoping one will stick. As a hiring manager I never used them, as an out of work professional I stoped dealing with them. The absolute worst is ROBERT HALF (the others are a close second) I reqistered with them & they don't return calls, don't respond to email, etc. I think employment firms should start to be regulated by the fed, it would serve them right, maybe we could get a grain of honesty out of them.

anonymous in Ashaway, RI

28 days ago
Do yourself a favor & don't waste your time, liars, cheats, and very un-professional. All branches of RH treat their clients very poorly. If you want to get abused and ignored then they are for you...

Reply - Flag for review

RR in Weogufka, AL

27 days ago
I agree. Going to the Alpharetta, GA office is a waste of time as well. The interviewer actually told me that they can only place about 10% of their clients. Don't bother.

Reply - Flag for review

Michael

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

D-Man in Austin, Texas

105 months ago

I thought it was just "me" who felt like RH didn't give a hoot about what you said...it was like being interrogated by the KGB. I have dealth with many agencies over the years and actually owned one (medical) and worked for another... but RH takes the cake.
As it has been stated, they NEVER return calls nor give you a straight answer. There job posting "look" great but they are the "pits" to try to work with... I gave up!

Over It in Austin, TX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in FL. in Fort Myers, Florida

105 months ago

I was wondering was up with this co. here in FL.
I am in total agreement, don't return calls, turn over at the office I have been trying to get a job through, well let's just say it is difficult to keep up with the "contact" person.
RH is not going to help me find a job. I feel so much better after reading this blog about them.

I am going to call them and ask if I am too "old" to be an employee representing them.

During one interview it was crystal clear that I know more about the Principles of Accounting then they do!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Texas in San Antonio, Texas

105 months ago

I refuse to go to another so called Temp agency. They are all like a bunch of wolfs just waiting for the next sheep to walk through their door. My experience is that they do not care about you. You are just a piece of meat to them, so when they do send you on an "assignment" they can bill for you. Most temp jobs I have worked for are for jobs that were hard to fill because there was something wrong: the work environment itself, an insain supervisor, or dangerous working conditions. One assignment forbid the use of the internet because they thought the devil controlled the internet. Another assignment the supervisor would buy lunch for everyone just to make sure they were there after lunch because he would let out involuntary screams during the day. The temp agents just don't care what you are exposed to, they don't have to be the ones there at the jobsite. It is sad because their ads for workers can sound enticing. When you call them regarding their ad, you can quickly realize that ad was just a fake, just to get you in there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

D-Man in Austin, Texas

105 months ago

You would "THINK" these agencies would read some of these comments posted in this forum....maybe "they" lack the skills to navigate even the internet forum boards !?!?!? What slays me is the way these recruiters/interviews sit there a just smile & nod.. it irks the hell out of me! Talk about phoney!
Who said there are no "cattle rustlers" out there !????!

"Looking for an honest agency"
Austin, TX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

De in Seattle, Washington

105 months ago

I am sooooo glad to hear this. I thought it was me!!!

Seattle, Bellevue and Federal Way, WA each worse than the other!!

aLL TRUE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

D-Man in Austin, Texas

105 months ago

This is really good to know...since I have been giving some thought to moving to the Seattle, WA. I definitely not use RH.

Just about all the POC's with the agencies I have been working, have changed and of course, all your work has gone down the tubes with that POC person. It's a pain in my... (fill in the blanks!)

Austin, TX on the move !!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Former RHI Manager in Pelham, New Hampshire

105 months ago

I worked for RHI for 4 years 3 as a manager, and will give you the scoop. All they care about is their bottom line and nothing else. The turnover is horrible (god forbid your a top producer and have a bad quarter..you are gone), the post false jobs and as many as possible to bombard the job boards, and never return calls. This company had a great reputation but once they become a 3 billion organization they lost site of who they were and what made them successful. They treat their employees like crap and their candidates. They even lie to clients to produce jobs. I work for a small firm now with a great reputation and believes in ethics. Just some advice..If you are looking for a recruiter, focus on the small firms that will give you the attention needed and time to talk and really get to know you. Good luck in 2007 with your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

D-Man in Austin, Texas

105 months ago

To the Former Manager of a RH agency ---- Thanks for the inside scoop... I think that is the problem with many of these agencies...they get so big ($$$$$$) and forget who got them there! - US !!

"Still Looking in Austin, TX"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Spanky in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

105 months ago

Without doubt the worst environment I have ever worked in. RHI lures
in "practitioners"--i.e., those who have worked in the field for which
they hire--with wildly exaggerated "potential" compensation and a lot
of rhetoric about teamwork, and proceeds to throw the new hire into a
shark tank. It might have been the company for which the phrase "churn and burn" was invented. The hours are 7:30 to 5:30, but much of the day is spent in meaningless data entry and completely irrelevant team-building exercises. The corporate culture is an exercise in hypocrisy--on the surface, everything appears to be sweetness and light. In reality, the unwritten but strictly adhered-to code is stab your
coworkers in the back and climb over their bodies. In my year and a half there, I saw more than 60 people come and go in an office of less than 20. Their attitude toward the candidates they place is no
betterthan that toward their employees. I finally left out of disgust and disillusionment, and I defy you to find a former employee or candidate with anything but disdain for this firm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sd

105 months ago

Same in Boston, Ma. liars, cheats, and unprofessional

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CeCe in Seattle, Washington

104 months ago

I also felt jerked around by Robert Half "wits" at 3 differnt local offices....HOWEVER they did send me on an assignment (Finally). Not sure if the jerking around and time wasting is worth it for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Pleasanton, California

104 months ago

Well said reality..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Richardson, Texas

104 months ago

Former RHI Manager said: I worked for RHI for 4 years 3 as a manager, and will give you the scoop. All they care about is their bottom line and nothing else. The turnover is horrible (god forbid your a top producer and have a bad quarter..you are gone), the post false jobs and as many as possible to bombard the job boards, and never return calls. This company had a great reputation but once they become a 3 billion organization they lost site of who they were and what made them successful. They treat their employees like crap and their candidates. They even lie to clients to produce jobs. I work for a small firm now with a great reputation and believes in ethics. Just some advice..If you are looking for a recruiter, focus on the small firms that will give you the attention needed and time to talk and really get to know you. Good luck in 2007 with your job search.

If you live in the CHARLOTTE, NC AREA, try Snelling Services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in NJ in Lyndhurst, New Jersey

104 months ago

I had the same bad experience with RHI and Accountemps in NJ & NYC. I met with 6 of their reps over the course of a year and not one of them even got me an interview. They also "low-ball" you on rates. I worked for a few temp agencies and had gotten a rate from Accountemps that was $3/hr lower than another agency for the same job.

I also met with other reps who used to work for RHI and was informed that all they care about is the bottom line.

Most of the jobs don't exist.

chocolatebar in Rego Park, New York

104 months ago

I live in New York,and RHI is a waste of time. I was told by a hiring manager that most of the jobs are already filled by the time anyone sends their resume. Sorry to say most staffing firms are a waste of time. I feel it's best to contact the companies yourself at least you'll have a better chance of getting a interview. It's better then waiting for an agency that in my opinion could care less if your not working.

Setsunna

104 months ago

Are you people that were screwed by this company able sue these people for false advertising or something? This is a horrible thing especially when there's honest hard working people trying to find decent work..

I'd be shocked if this "fake" job posting is legal to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Lyndhurst, New Jersey

104 months ago

I really hope the Better Business Bureau would look into this business. I'm sure if there was an audit, the company reps could probably pull out a bunch of job orders for any of the jobs that they advertised. They would need a good law to make them accountable for every false ad they posted.

I have a very good job with an advertising conglomerate. I answered an internet ad on "ihire". Our company prides itself on having a great human resources department. It's called "TalentWorks". Our HR division is constantly being trained on how to recognize good potential employees. They do not need to hire agencies to do their job.

Like another person mentioned here, try to answer direct company ads. These are the companies that care enough to have an HR department that really do a good job because the company wants to hire good people.

Unfortunately, if you need to work temp, you will have to go through an agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stacey in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

104 months ago

I had gotten an assignment with Robert Half before and was told it was a temp to hire, which was totally a lie! The company wasn't hiring at all, it was just a temp, and I left another job for it. The same with accounttemps(my fault, i didn't know at the time they were the same). I left a permanent job and found out I was just filling in for a lady who was out on maternity leave, I called accounttemps and the idiot said most people don't return from maternity leave, what an excuse, the lady was with the company for 14 years, of course she was returning. Those two companies really screwed me and made my resume look like I am unstable with my job history.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Pleasanton, California

104 months ago

You are all nuts.....Robert Half is a publically traded company and is audited many times throughout the year. If you didn't get a job it's because you were jnot qualified for thew positions. They are a "specialized staffing firm", they just can't place anyone out on assignment. It's much different from many other agencies. They have placed me on many different assignments in the Southern NJ area. I'm not sure how the other areas are, but have had great success with them.

Nancy said: I really hope the Better Business Bureau would look into this business. I'm sure if there was an audit, the company reps could probably pull out a bunch of job orders for any of the jobs that they advertised. They would need a good law to make them accountable for every false ad they posted.
I have a very good job with an advertising conglomerate. I answered an internet ad on "ihire". Our company prides itself on having a great human resources department. It's called "TalentWorks". Our HR division is constantly being trained on how to recognize good potential employees. They do not need to hire agencies to do their job.
Like another person mentioned here, try to answer direct company ads. These are the companies that care enough to have an HR department that really do a good job because the company wants to hire good people.
Unfortunately, if you need to work temp, you will have to go through an agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Robert Half BMG in NJ in Pleasanton, California

104 months ago

For the individuals that post to this site complaining about our organization the best thing for you to do is to contact the Branch Manger of the location that you are registered in and discuss the issues at hand. We are an "ethics first" organization that goes above and beyond when it comes to the placement of professionals seeking employment. We represent the best of the best and our screening process and relationship building with our clients allows to pick and choose whom we would like to represent. We are mandated to post only opportunities that are posted in our internal systems (meaning if it is not in our internal system we are not to release it out on the job boards) I think it is very easy to sit back and beat up on an organization through a forum channel rather than picking up the phone and speaking to a manger that has the ability to do something about it. I have been with the organization for more than seven years and have interviewed a number of individuals from other firms all aspiring to work for our organization. At the end of the day their is a reason why our organization continues to experience 20% plus growth yearly and will eventually be a 10 billion organization. We have the desire to win and succeed but we are only as good as the client realtionships that we develop and the last placement that we make. We are not mind readers and at least this manager knows what it takes to manage a successful operation. So open up your mouths and go out and network and use that energy in a positive fashion!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Rutherford, New Jersey

104 months ago

I'm glad you had success with them. One of my colleagues had gotten work from them as well.

As far as me not being qualified, I found it odd that the RHI agency that I registered with wanted to send me to the same job that another agency had sent me to. I hadn't told them that I had already started working at this company for about a week. When I inquired about the company and the rate of pay, they told me. I then told them that another agency had sent me to this company for the same position and was paying me $3/hr more per hour. They asked me the name of the agency, and of course, I would not tell them.

I know that the agencies try to get the candidates (who have found a position) to tell them where they are working, so they can call the company up and say "I can find someone just like so & so, and you'll only have to pay this such & such rate." That is why I would never tell any agency where I am currently working, not even the staff position I (finally) obtained on my own. Why should I help someone else do THEIR job ?

I am just expressing my personal experience. People can make up their own mind. The reason that I express my opinion here is to warn others of a potential problem. It may save them from wasting their precious time.

Why do you think so many people post to message boards regarding bad products ? I am sure they also contact the product manufacturer, but want to save other people from making the same mistake. There is nothing wrong with that.

Headhunters at other agencies have told me about their bad experiences working for RHI. It seems that all of them worked there at some point. The turnover is amazing. Even the agent who found my colleague work no longer works at RHI.

Of COURSE, your agency (and many others) are experiencing growth. So are the number of unemployed people, especially in certain areas.

I will continue to post my own personal experiences, just as you are free to post yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Quick passing the buck in Newington, Connecticut

104 months ago

stacey said: I had gotten an assignment with Robert Half before and was told it was a temp to hire, which was totally a lie! The company wasn't hiring at all, it was just a temp, and I left another job for it. The same with accounttemps(my fault, i didn't know at the time they were the same). I left a permanent job and found out I was just filling in for a lady who was out on maternity leave, I called accounttemps and the idiot said most people don't return from maternity leave, what an excuse, the lady was with the company for 14 years, of course she was returning. Those two companies really screwed me and made my resume look like I am unstable with my job history.

Nice job leaving a perm job w/out signing or receiving an offer letter. You must be extremely bright....or a LIAR! instead of telling your sob stories, learn how to job hunt. You wouldn't have been sent out to work by any staffing firm on a temporary basis w/out filling out tax and i9 paperwork, so it would have been impossible for you not to know you were working for the temporary agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Bradford, Rhode Island

104 months ago

Newington, CT is just another ob-ob-obnoxious Half-Wit. He can’t even comprehend one small paragraph. Stacy took a temp job because the Robert Half-Wit told her the job was a temp to permanent spot. In fact the job would never become permanent. The liar here is the Robert Half-Wit NOT the candidate. Don’t you people have any sense of self respect? You lie to candidates then when your lie is discovered you try to place the blame on the applicants, who are representing themselves in good faith. Robert Half employees desire absolutely no respect, all are liars and cheats.

STAY AWAY FROM ALL ROBERT HALF OFFICES IN THE NE REGION.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chandler in Pleasanton, California

104 months ago

One of the many problems with the world are people not taking responsibility for their shortcomings. Rather than saying that maybe I am not very employable or that I am being unrealistic with my expectations you blame somebody else as to why you don't have a job. Stop pointing the finger and start pointing the thumb. If you are relying on an agency as your only source for finding a job then you are conducting a very effective job search. Accountemps is a large reason where I am today.

Now most of you will look at this forum and think, "OH my goodness....Robert Half is the devil" but every large company has forums such as this. I put it to each and every one of you to do some soul searching and ask yourself what have YOU done to get yourself a job today. Because I doubt you are courting any hiring managers hanging out on this chat board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Brooklyn, New York

104 months ago

Speaking for myself, I now have a better than average job. I had been seeking permmanent work for quite a few months while working as a long-term temp through Spherion. They are a very professional agency, at least for me. I signed up with dozens of agencies, always called and e-mailed inquiring about available work. I answered dozens of internet postings. The job sites that I most frequently searched were CareerBuilder, Monster, and Yahoo. Others included iHire, and jobsinthemoney (which pertains to financial jobs). I sent in hundreds of resumes, search hundreds of websites, made hundreds of calls, went on dozens of interviews with agencies that wasted both my time and commuting fare. A person cannot rely solely on an agency or agencies and I am sure that most people know that.

It is a full-time job to look for a good full-time job. I answered a posting on "iHire" and went through the entire interview process (including one video conference interview), and was hired.

I am sure that, like myself, the people posting here just want to share their own experiences and perhaps save other job-seekers the wasted time in dealing with agencies that don't really make the effort.

I am glad that I am not alone in realizing that RHI is NOT the agency to use when looking for a GOOD job, or perhaps any job. They just want to put a body in a job, and if your particular qualifications are a fit, than you get the job. No effort required.

As I've stated. if a person has gotten a job through RHI, than that is good. But it seems to me that there have been more negative results than positive, which at least confirmed my own opinion of this agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chandler in Pleasanton, California

104 months ago

I am happy to hear that you found a good position and wish you the best of luck with it. Its sounds like you earned it.

Do me a favor though and search these forums for sperion or manpower or adecco and all of these will read very similar I'm sure. People that are happy with their experiences would have no business in these sights. I had a great one with Accountemps.

Every large company is bound to have people in its organization who don't represent them well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Laughing in Pelham, New Hampshire

104 months ago

Chandler in Pleasanton...I have to laugh so hard at you and your comments...How would Max Messmer feel about you posting comments on a forum during primetime calling hours?? You could be using your time calling candidates back that don't get callbacks and maybe even finding them jobs. I have to laugh so hard at RHI/Accountemps. When the company first started it was based on honesty, integrity, and doing the right thing. Staffing Managers/Recruiters didn't go home until all callbacks were made and their desk were cleaned off. Now the morale is so bad that people watch the clock, post on forums, and run a staffing chop shop (yes a chop shop, you post a large quantity of fake jobs just to get your 20 candidates/week) I know this because I was the sucker who used to brainstorm on Friday afternoons which fake jobs to create and post them online. I guess thats what you get when you become so big that you can't manage your clients or candidates. Focus on doing the right thing and maybe you will find that people aren't trash talking the company constantly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Neicey in Cleveland, Ohio

103 months ago

Oh my, I'm not alone. My friend tried to warn me about them, they are the worst. I swear I interviewed with the same person three times. She forgot who I was and that she never called me about the other jobs she was suppose to be looking into. After this last time, I said no more.

But they will call you when it is time to clean out their database. Looks like Robert Idiots are all over the US.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

anon in La Mirada, California

103 months ago

Laughing said: Chandler in Pleasanton...I have to laugh so hard at you and your comments...How would Max Messmer feel about you posting comments on a forum during primetime calling hours?? You could be using your time calling candidates back that don't get callbacks and maybe even finding them jobs. I have to laugh so hard at RHI/Accountemps. When the company first started it was based on honesty, integrity, and doing the right thing. Staffing Managers/Recruiters didn't go home until all callbacks were made and their desk were cleaned off. Now the morale is so bad that people watch the clock, post on forums, and run a staffing chop shop (yes a chop shop, you post a large quantity of fake jobs just to get your 20 candidates/week) I know this because I was the sucker who used to brainstorm on Friday afternoons which fake jobs to create and post them online. I guess thats what you get when you become so big that you can't manage your clients or candidates. Focus on doing the right thing and maybe you will find that people aren't trash talking the company constantly.

so true

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Temp Employee in Seattle, Washington

103 months ago

I have worked with Robert Half and I ahve actually been very satisfied. They got me into the work place very quickly and then found me a great gig that I have been at for over two months now. Maybe you are just one of the people that weren't as lucky as I am. I hadn't worked for over three years and they still were able to get me great work. I have to admit what they pay me and what they in turn get paid for me is a bit unfair but I am just glad to be working. I have read your "comments" part of your problem might have been your level of skill as many of your words are misspelled.
Glad to be working in Seattle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Austin, Texas

103 months ago

I agree with most of these posts. The assignments I have been on have been horrible! they call You last minute to tell you to report the next morning not knowing anything about the job. I had one job where the company was so disorganized that in that accounting office there were 37 temps and 1 empoyee of company. Even the accouting mgr and controller were temps! It was horrible. I did what I was told to do and call someone and ask for receipts for their exp reports and got a call from the agency saying they didn't need me anymore. Whats up? I just did what I was told to do. They have s***ty jobs and they are snakes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

CRS in MO in Warrenton, Missouri

103 months ago

Robert Half BMG in NJ said: For the individuals that post to this site complaining about our organization the best thing for you to do is to contact the Branch Manger of the location that you are registered in and discuss the issues at hand. We are an "ethics first" organization that goes above and beyond when it comes to the placement of professionals seeking employment. We represent the best of the best and our screening process and relationship building with our clients allows to pick and choose whom we would like to represent. We are mandated to post only opportunities that are posted in our internal systems (meaning if it is not in our internal system we are not to release it out on the job boards) I think it is very easy to sit back and beat up on an organization through a forum channel rather than picking up the phone and speaking to a manger that has the ability to do something about it. I have been with the organization for more than seven years and have interviewed a number of individuals from other firms all aspiring to work for our organization. At the end of the day their is a reason why our organization continues to experience 20% plus growth yearly and will eventually be a 10 billion organization. We have the desire to win and succeed but we are only as good as the client realtionships that we develop and the last placement that we make. We are not mind readers and at least this manager knows what it takes to manage a successful operation. So open up your mouths and go out and network and use that energy in a positive fashion!

I have never seen so many negative comments about a company, but it reflects my own experience
with Robert Half. Instead of trashing the comments and the people making the comments, take
a good hard look at Robert Half. I am now scared
that I sent them my resume. AND don't reply
that perhaps my qualifications are enough. My
credentials and references are impeccable.

me in florida in Tampa, Florida

102 months ago

Frank said: You are all nuts.....Robert Half is a publically traded company and is audited many times throughout the year. If you didn't get a job it's because you were jnot qualified for thew positions. They are a "specialized staffing firm", they just can't place anyone out on assignment. It's much different from many other agencies. They have placed me on many different assignments in the Southern NJ area. I'm not sure how the other areas are, but have had great success with them.

get your head out of the sand. all these people cannot be nuts.

Barney in Clearwater, Florida

101 months ago

I was suprised to find that my accounting and Excel test scores (90-95% correct) were higher than the averages for most others in the office (65-75% correct). If the average is so low, what level of intelligence is being sent on assignments.

So far I am on my third representative and second assignment. The first assignment lasted six days, and so far the 15-20 hours per week part time assignment is really only about 10-15 hours. Not bad for 12 days with the firm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Disappointed #1 in Valparaiso, Indiana

101 months ago

I signed up with Accountemps 5 months ago. I have a masters degree in accounting and finance and 8 years of experience. I aced all the tests and filled out the paperwork indicating the minimum rate I was willing to accept. I placed the bar very low as I understand that temp jobs do not pay that well and that the company needs to make some money - that's why they are in this business. They said that they would call me as soon as they got something that would be suitable for a highly qualified professional like me (haha).

Some weeks later they did call me to fill a very short term position "making journal entries and doing reconciliations". They did not know anything more about the job. Needless to say, the pay was about $6/hr lower than the minimum I said I would accept. I told them I was not sure but they pursuaded me, since it was just very short term so I finally agreed thinking if I turn them down after all this time, they will never call me back. The job turned out to be a nightmare and of course it was not only journal entries but reinventing the wheel! As asked, I reported after my first day but because I had to stay late, I was only able to leave a message. The next day the branch manager called me and left me two messages letting me know that I did not report to them and I was expected to call back at once. As soon as I got the messages (you are not supposed to use you cell phone only in breaks) I called back and told them about the message I left the day before. Well, my recruiter did not check her messages...

Then there was nothing for a while again and then another call from them to go on another journal entries and reconciliations assignment, this time $2/hr less than for the first assignment! I accepted but said that only because it was again very short and that I would need a higher rate for a longer term assignment. At this new place the accountant had left them 6 weeks ago and no one had any clue about anything or what needed to be done.

101 months ago

Since then I am back at the first place, again it started out as a short term deal with the same low rate. I have been there for over a month now, no one from Accountemps has contacted me to find out how I was doing or to address the concerns I raised before going back. The only reason I am still there is because the people actually turned out to be quite friendly and nice to me. I got the impression that I was only a cash cow for Accountemps, nothing more. They do not build relationships with their people and pretty much don't care as long as they are making money off you (43% margin, not bad). Once you let them put you in a box, you will not get a higher rate, no matter how well you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Newark, New Jersey

101 months ago

Robert Half found me a job in Philadelphia at a "prominent" law firm. As a word processor, it was more of a factory more than anything.

However, my recruiter went above and beyond for me so I have nothing negative to say about them....just avoid the temp department, they are full of you know what.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

former manager in West Newton, Massachusetts

101 months ago

SO TRUE! I AM A FORMER MANAGER AND I HAVE TO SAY THEY ARE A JOKE. I LEFT BECAUSE OF THEIR BS POLITICS AND THEIR RIP OFF BUSINESS MODEL. I HAVE TOLAUGH BECAUSE WHAT YOU DESCRIBE WAS WHAT I USED TO DO. NOW I LEFT ON GOOD TERMS AND SPENT 6 YEARS THERE. I WORK FOR A GREAT FIRM NOW WHERE WE DO THINGS HONESTLY AND REASONABLY. AT'S 76% MARKUPS AND 100% TURNOVER IS A JOKE. THEY HAVE A AIT RATING CODE THAT IS PURE DISCRIMINATION AND BOGUS. THE HIGHER THE RATING MENAS YOU ARE OLD, UNEDUCATED, AND NON ATTRACTIVE. SERIOUSLY, SMART PRETTY GIRLS/GUYS GET GREAT RATINGS AND GET PLACED IMMEDIATELY. AGAIN, I HAVE TO LAUGH BECAUSE IT IS ONE OF THE WORST BUSINESS MODELS AND ALL THE COMPETITION IS GAINING MARKET SHARE. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY, THEY HAVE NO MORALS AND THEY WILL SCREW THE CLIENT AND CANDIDATE. I HOPE AN RHI REP RESPONDS BECAUSE I MOST LIKELY SPENT MORE TIME THERE THAN THEY DID AND CAN OVERCOME ANY REPSONSE THEY GIVE ME. LETS PUT IT THIS WAY ONE OF THEIR TOP MANAGERS/SR MANAGERS WAS HAVING A RELATIONSHIP WITH HIS SECRETARY AND HE WAS MARRIED, SO THEY SEND HIM OVERSEAS TO ESCPAE THE PHYPE AND JUST RECENTLY BROUGHT HIM BACK WHEN THEY THOUGHT THE FOG HAS LIFTED. JUST BEWARE..MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS..BUT BEWARE. THERE ARE BETTER FIRMS OUT THERE THAT WILLL DO YOU RIGHT AND LOOK OUT FOR YOUR BEST INTERESTS...KFORCE, WINTER WYMAN, HUDSON GROUP, AND AJILON (OH YEA, I DON NOT WORK FOR ANY OF THEM, I HAVE MY OWN FIRM). THEY WILL WORK WITH YOU, RETURN YOUR CALLS, AND WILL PAY YOU WHAT YOU ARE WORTH. GOOD LUCK..AND RHI FOCUS ON LOOSING MARKET SHARE AND YOUR EMPLOYEES AND YOU MAY GAIN SOME RESPECT! CHEERS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

ask for a 50 cent raise...they will give it to you if you push.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

tell them to drop their mark up to 50% and see what they say. again they focus on 76% so you can do the math, u r an accountant. just take your pay rate X's 76% and you will get their bill rate. Thy have so much buffer room but will nto budge because they will get in trouble.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

former manager in West Newton, Massachusetts said: tell them to drop their mark up to 50% and see what they say. again they focus on 76% so you can do the math, u r an accountant. just take your pay rate X's 76% and you will get their bill rate. Thy have so much buffer room but will nto budge because they will get in trouble.

You are right, that is exactly the markup: payrate X 1.76. Not bad, considering that they have never done anything special for me, never have gone out of their way for me, did not even have to recruit me, I applied because I was looking for a change and
flexibility. I guess those things come with a price...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

well ask them for a raise and the first thing they will do is ask the client for a bump in bill rate. we are a very simlar firm and we can focus on 57.5% and offer everything they offer including a higher payout for the staffing managers. They are a f*ing ripoff and it is time everyone spreads the word. This is time fo ethics, corporate responsibility, and fairness to the unemployed. I have seen it all and this company really does wrong by everyone clients/candidates/ and their own employees.

101 months ago

Disappointed #1 in Valparaiso, Indiana said: You are right, that is exactly the markup: payrate X 1.76. Not bad, considering that they have never done anything special for me, never have gone out of their way for me, did not even have to recruit me, I applied because I was looking for a change and
flexibility. I guess those things come with a price...

Hm. Why don't you speak to the manager there and ask them to hire you?
I'm sure it will beat them hiring you full time than to pay an awful 76% markup.

Actually - when I worked for R.H. in NYC, I was making $20.00/hr, and they charged the client $39.75. believe that? Ughh....makes me glad I don't work for them. :-)

101 months ago

former manager in West Newton, Massachusetts said: well ask them for a raise and the first thing they will do is ask the client for a bump in bill rate. we are a very simlar firm and we can focus on 57.5% and offer everything they offer including a higher payout for the staffing managers. They are a f*ing ripoff and it is time everyone spreads the word. This is time fo ethics, corporate responsibility, and fairness to the unemployed. I have seen it all and this company really does wrong by everyone clients/candidates/ and their own employees.

I was thinking exactly the same thing but the client I work for is a very small firm and they can hardly pay the fees right now. The owner was thinking about hiring me direct to be able to save some money and give me a little more as well but he cannot afford the terms Accountemps drew up. It's like they own me! We people are just commodity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

i think you have to temp there for 6 months, and then you can just get hired on their payroll or something....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

Tell your company to push for new terms...honestly AT can't really do anything about it. Throw a fit and they will release you to them. It is all a bluff and they figure no one will put up a stink..so they win.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

stacey in Troy, Michigan

101 months ago

Quick passing the buck in Newington, Connecticut said: Nice job leaving a perm job w/out signing or receiving an offer letter. You must be extremely bright....or a LIAR! instead of telling your sob stories, learn how to job hunt. You wouldn't have been sent out to work by any staffing firm on a temporary basis w/out filling out tax and i9 paperwork, so it would have been impossible for you not to know you were working for the temporary agency.

When I went in, they have you fill out all the paperwork, they can't give you a check unless you sign tax papers...duh. I have a great job now, because no matter how they screwed me, I do a good job and am a good employee, the company I was temporarily working for(that was supposed to be temp to hire) actually gave me a letter of recommendation because they didn't know that I was told it was temp to hire and while I was there, did a great job and didn't take anything out on the company, because it was the agencies fault, not theirs. "Quick passing the buck in Newington, Connecticut" doesn't know what they are talking about. When you go into Accountemps or RobertHalf, the first thing they do when you submit a resume is go in and fill out paperwork, you have to register with them, then you do your interview. I have been through the temp to hire situation before with a totally different agency, and you don't get a offer letter or anything, after 90 days with the other agency, which by the way was Randstad, I was hired in and had a good experience. I just know I will never in my life use Accountemps/Robert Half ever again.

Donna Michigan in Comstock Park, Michigan

101 months ago

What is Accountemps in Grand Rapids, MI. like??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn in Madison, Wisconsin

100 months ago

I am so thankful to have found this forum. I am a CPA who has been thinking of trying to do some temp work next year to give me some flexibilty. I was planning to contact Accoutemps but now I won't. Have read in other forums that using more then one temp agency is the way to go.

Several years ago I met with a Robert Half rep and had the same experience. No returned calls or emails. I am in my early 40's and felt sure at the time that I was not what they were looking for because of my age.

Carolyn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.