Employment agencies in general are a joke

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

John Doe in Gibsonton, Florida

87 months ago

All employment agencies in general are a joke when it comes to helping candidates search for the right jobs. They rarely have the proper training to place candidates into the right jobs. Instead of listening to their candidates, they tell their candidates how things are. As others have also mentioned, they also try to fit people into job molds that don't match the candidate's background in order to just make a buck.

Granted the candidates aren't paying their bills, but without their candidates they can't fill positions. Their clients are paying their bills, but if they can't find the right candidates they won't get paid. Simple solution, stay away from employment agencies. Help put them out of business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Doe in Harwood, Maryland

84 months ago

John Doe in Gibsonton, Florida said: All employment agencies in general are a joke when it comes to helping candidates search for the right jobs. They rarely have the proper training to place candidates into the right jobs. Instead of listening to their candidates, they tell their candidates how things are. As others have also mentioned, they also try to fit people into job molds that don't match the candidate's background in order to just make a buck.

Granted the candidates aren't paying their bills, but without their candidates they can't fill positions. Their clients are paying their bills, but if they can't find the right candidates they won't get paid. Simple solution, stay away from employment agencies. Help put them out of business.

And I suppose you do have the proper training and know how to interview candidates? Do have people/management skills, do you have the knowledge of the employment market and labor statistics and the intelligence to know how a business is run?

Actually, why don't you try working in a staffing agency for 1 day...I would venture a guess that you would not last one day!

Before you start thowing stones, I suggest you gain a true understanding of the staffing industry from both sides...not just yours!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

84 months ago

Guide

Jane Doe in Harwood, Maryland said: And I suppose you do have the proper training and know how to interview candidates? Do have people/management skills, do you have the knowledge of the employment market and labor statistics and the intelligence to know how a business is run?

Actually, why don't you try working in a staffing agency for 1 day...I would venture a guess that you would not last one day!

Before you start thowing stones, I suggest you gain a true understanding of the staffing industry from both sides...not just yours!

Jane:
I've been on "your side" a lot in the past decade.

I encourage my students to use staffing firms as one of their resources - and try to direct them to ones I know are effective and responsive.

Certainly, folks who don't get what they perceive as "fair treatment" nor the jobs they believe they should get can and will vent their frustrations.

And I can't fully blame them.

There's no cure for it, perhaps, other than making certain anyone in staffing is doing his/her best to be honest and communicative with candidates.

If any of us who have or do work in the placement sector take the longer view of doing right by both candidate and client, we're likely to have more people who WILL at least understand what is done and why. And that can't hurt!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BON2025 in Bayonne, New Jersey

57 months ago

I would have to agree with John Doe in Gibsonton, Florida. But I would not go so far and say that staffing agencies should be avoided. In my experience, it is best to use the staffing agency just as they use their candidates.
I have worked with several staffing agencies and found they are of great help when you are tiring to obtain information of the industry. The trick is on one hand during the interview process ask a lot of questions to help you determine who their CURRENT clients are and what positions they (the company) are looking to fill. On the other hand give as little information about companies that you have interviewed with or are scheduled to interview. You may want to bait the staffing agency by offering a company name that you are looking to submit your resume to, in doing so you may succeed in having the recruiter reveal information on open positions at this company.
It is good to remember staffing agencies are looking out for their best interest and you should be looking out for your best interest. It is a game to see who will blink first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.