CRIMINAL BACKGROUND DISCRIMINATION

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 246)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

IVETTE

87 months ago

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THE PAST AND PAID FOR IT NOW??? WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IS SOME PEOPLE HAVE COMMITED SOME KIND OF FELONY OR MISTOMEANOR AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE US A CHANCE THEN SOCIETY WONDERS WHY THERE IS SO MANY PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES OUT THERE..HELLO IF SOCIETY DOESN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE HOW IS IT THAT WE ARE GOING TO PROVE OURSELVES THAT WE WANT TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF IT'S LIKE "YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SO THERE FOR NOT INTIALED TO HAVE A JOB"? I MEAN COME ON THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.. GRANT IT THEY SHOULD SE WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE YOU HAVE COMMITTED AND THE JOB YOU ARE APPLYING FOR... IF ANY ONE OUT THERE IS GOING THROUGH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M PLANNING TO START A PETITION TO CONGRESS TO GET SOME KIND OF HELP FROM THE STATE TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS KIND OF DISCRIMINATION .............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (717) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Senor Citason

87 months ago

When Senor Citason is elected El Presidente of the United States of New Mexico all criminal records will be shredded and all police officers will be fired!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (80) Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl K in Delaware in Schwenksville, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

If you're a Judge Matthias fan, he got in some scrapes with the law as a child, now he's a judge and gives second chances. I just recently had an interview for a claims processor in Family Court; it looks really good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Marcel in Lansing, Michigan

86 months ago

I feel the same frustrations as all of you,being in Michigan where the economy is terrible in the first place makes it even harder.My chosen field is environmental services since most of those jobs are in state office buildings they will not let me in.Even though my crimes do not involve theft,asault,burglary or sexual predation. I agree that how does society expect one to even make an effort to live productively without being given half a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Warrenville, South Carolina

86 months ago

The mistake you are both making is in assumng that the particular crimes committed have that much to do with the job or the company. What I was saying before about "not even a nurse" was mean to indicate that if you screwed up something so badly that you had to be fired or something, then you wouldn't expect to get back in a similar position.

As example, if the boss fired you at a restaurant for sneezing in someone's food, then you'd likely never work around food again even if there was no arrest.

If you sneeze on all of society by committing a felony then you are not likely to ever again get a decent job in that society. Your choice to do crime isolated you from normal society forever.

As for housing, if you had a bankruptcy, the same thing would happen when trying to rent a commercial apartment. It isn't a matter of the act, it is a matter of the record of past misbehavior. It works the same way as a credit report. You miss payments, you are not extended further credit. You have a criminal record, you are not trusted to live amongst normal people who pay their rent on time and have never been tempted to take things from their neighbors.

Didn't you ever wonder why there has to be gated communities? It is to keep undesirables off the property. Go to prison and you are behind bars. When you get out, the bars are around us in essence. Many of us wish you all had to stay in prison for the rest of your lives for committing felonies but we just can't afford to do that - yet. That is not a new idea either. There were once islands for folks like you.

If you sneeze on all of society by committing a felony then you are not likely to ever again get a decent jo in that society. Your choice to do crime isolated you from society forever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (402) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

86 months ago

ivette said: well charlie, goes to prove that society is filled by ignorant people like yourself..... that comment about "there was a island once for folks like you" is all uncalled for>.. i pray to god that you may never have to make a bad decision in life and pay for it the rest of your life... WE could do with out your comments......

Oh yeah. God forbid anyone disagree with an ex-felon! What was I thinking?

As for making decisions in my life it is my life isn't it? At my age I won't be on the planet that much longer so I really don't care. If it even turned back into the wild West with everyone wearing a side arm I would be long gone.

I will, however, express my point of view and I do believe there is a bit of history to support it.

Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it.

In the words of the great Senor Citason:

Los criminales deben ser dados una botella del bebe y ser sentados en una esquina para el resto de sus vidas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (163) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Tignall, Georgia

86 months ago

ivette said: si charlie talvez te devieras quedado en cuba.

You are right. We ought to do that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Lady D in Buffalo, New York

86 months ago

Melville, how do you really feel about the subject of screening out people with a past? This subject is a real concern to me and I can spell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lady D in Buffalo, New York

86 months ago

James in Douglasville, Georgia said: Being from Georgia you should know that the legal system here is an industry. I have been denied housing and employment due to 20 year old felonies that were not related to the positions for which I have applied. Our glorious Coca-Cola interviewed and did testing for a dispatcher position. After commenting I had tested well above the requirements for the position the office manager informed me I would start training in 2 days. Then the paperwork was processed and being politically correct they rescinded the offer due to my felony convictions. They did not even fun a background check, merely having a felony listed on the application was sufficient to disregard my acumen in the field. There are several temporary employment agencies which will not let me register.

I have been refused housing on more than one occasion due to a felony past as well. I am forced to rent from private individuals or live in sub-standard housing due to the managed properties policies. It is ironic that these same properties have no issues with Section 8 tenants, for which they get a tax credit. Nor does it appear they are concerned with 6 tenants living in a studio apartment, who all have the same social security number.

I understand there is no sympathy for felons in this country. Where is that Christian spirit of forgiveness we flaunt in the South? I hope that you or a family member does not make a mistake. THERE MUST BE A SUBSERVIENT CLASS. Felons and illegal aliens fill that role.

God forgives and man does not. I think the good old United Stated needs to go back and learn a bit about democracy and forgiving a fellow-man/woman after rehabilitation and no repeat criminal actvity. Corporate America is not as lenient as the Feds. Did you know that after 10 years have past and a clean slate you can past a government background check for some positions with a felony record? How crazy is that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (80) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Still working at it in Worcester, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

As a person who has a felony record to someone with a felony record, first, stop thinking of yourself as an ex-felon. This term only contributes to the idea that you are a felon. You committed a felony, you weren't a felony. Your actions was the felony not you as a person.

Once you've moved beyond this point, start making notes of what you have to offer. Focus on this.

During an interview, sell what you have to offer. Nevertheless, keep in mind that there will always be companies that are simply not interested in what you have to offer. Some will go as far as not being interested due to your past behavior. This is o.k. It's not you who is missing out, it's them. Think for a moment, if you have the capabilities of increasing one hundred thousand dollars on the return on investment of a company and they turn you down due only to your past behavior, who is at a loss here?

This is why it's important to know what you can do for a company and sell that to a company. If you know what you can do for a company, you will never sell yourself short and you will succeed in the end.

Don't just hope for any job to come along. Research the companies you like to work for and determine what you can do for these companies. Then apply to those companies and sell yourself.

Unemployment is never easy. But, it shouldn't be the cause for you to take a job as a dishwasher if you have management skills and can increase a companies profitability by 40%. Nevertheless, if you are a dishwasher, find out how your experience provides worth and explain that on your resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (99) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

n/a in Oroville, California

86 months ago

IVETTE said: HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THE PAST AND PAID FOR IT NOW??? WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IS SOME PEOPLE HAVE COMMITED SOME KIND OF FELONY OR MISTOMEANOR AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE US A CHANCE THEN SOCIETY WONDERS WHY THERE IS SO MANY PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES OUT THERE..HELLO IF SOCIETY DOESN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE HOW IS IT THAT WE ARE GOING TO PROVE OURSELVES THAT WE WANT TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF IT'S LIKE "YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SO THERE FOR NOT INTIALED TO HAVE A JOB"? I MEAN COME ON THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.. GRANT IT THEY SHOULD SE WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE YOU HAVE COMMITTED AND THE JOB YOU ARE APPLYING FOR... IF ANY ONE OUT THERE IS GOING THROUGH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M PLANNING TO START A PETITION TO CONGRESS TO GET SOME KIND OF HELP FROM THE STATE TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS KIND OF DISCRIMINATION .............

The lack of employment is in part to the state refusing to lead. If the State of California will not lead as an employer why should anyone else. The lack of leadership is obvious and the short sightedness will cost everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

n/a in Oroville, California

86 months ago

When the State of California leads as an employer of ex-felons... then private industry will follow. As long as California is more concerned with the industry of corrections and keeps throwing more money into warehousing felons there will be no change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mark33702 in Saint Petersburg, Florida

85 months ago

Yes, something needs to be done. Over 6 years ago I took a day off work wrote my own doctor's excuse and they faxed it to the doctor's office and I was arrested for forgery. Now nobody will hire me. Every company I apply to for a job says it has to be 7 years, some say 10. Will I be ok next year?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MRS"CAROLYN in Tampa, Florida

85 months ago

HI" ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT GETTING A PETITION STARTED. I BELIEVE THA THE STAUTORY OF LIMITS IS SEVEN YEARS BUT SEEMS TOO BE HELD LIFE TIME SO LET'S DO JUST THAT. STAY IN TOUCH ALSO LOOK OUT FOR FOLLOW OF PETITION.OUR RESPONSE SHOULD GO TO TALLAHASSE, FLORIDA SO FIND OUT DIRECT ADDRESS OK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Yes, count me in on the petition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

christie morris in Pomona, California

85 months ago

I too have experienced the prejudices of society who does background checks to judge who you are and I am infuriated by it. My husband is currently going through it and can only work for temp services and hope for a full week of work. I have been out for 7 years and have obtained a college degree and have a good job but cant rent an apartment anywhere. People return to prison because society wont offer them a way to survive like a good job and they return to what they know which is crime , a convicted felon cannot evn get a job at mcdonalds without an extensive background check as if they were trying to work at fort knox , It is ridiculous. If I were a employer I would ask them how they have changed and what they are doing to keep changing yes and give them a chance their are programs that will bond felons if employers hire them , society trys to tell us we are not worthy of a good job making decent money to survive and support our families , that all we deserve is minimum wage and a struggle that leads right back to crime to survive. felons deserve a second chance we are humans too and we should be afforded an equal opportunity in america

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Jobs seem to go back 7 years (some 10), but landlords seem to never forgive. The best thing is to rent through a private home as opposed to a complex or buy. The housing market is down and more affordable now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A PATRIOT in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

85 months ago

Answer to Christie in Pomona, CA-
Please understand that the situation with background check discrimination is a just a pretext to exclude and discriminate. We changed to the United Republican States of America long time ago, and as such we destroyed our unique constitution. This is not the America that Thomas Jefferson envisioned, or the ONE NATION under God, indivisible. This nation is divided and divided into hypocrites and good Americans. What good Americans like you and me (we are the majority) should do is show the exclusionists, the racists, and the bigots that this nation of good American will not tolerate division, and that our constitutional rights and values will be respected, enforced and defended. We already had 3000 American soldiers that die in Iraq to preserve this constitution. Lets them not die in vain. I salute you for your dignity and your efforts, Christie from California, in regard to working to support your family, due to the fact that your husband is victim of the background check blanket hiring ban discrimination. As a historian, let me tell you that there was once a convicted felon, arrested by the police, and that was prosecuted up to his death. The Romans called this man Jesus of Nazareth, and did nothing to avoid prosecution and even his execution. This man was discriminated, prosecuted and even killed 2000 years ago. He once said: "great is the dignity of those who are struggling for peace and justice"...."Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for justice will be satisfied, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven".Chistianity began the day that we began to have compassion for the wretched. And this is the true meaning of been an American. ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE! The rest of hypocrites hiding themselves in Christian values,calling themselves religious Americans, without having any idea of what Christian values are,are really the domestic enemies of our values,our institutions,our democracy,and our country. A CHRISTIAN PATRIOT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

A PATRIOT in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

85 months ago

This is an answer for Senor Citason (Charlie)
This is your deserved answer SENOR CITASON- Do not talk about history repeat iltself... (those who ignore history are destined to repeat it- Senor Citason)and a bit of history to support, since you SENOR CITASON,know so much about history and Spanish language, let me remind your history of murders in Northern Arizona to indians in the 1700's, when your people killed thousand of children, women and elderly Navajo indians hiding in what is called now in Spanish language, Canyon del muerto (or Canyon of the dead). We SENOR CITASON, as you do, do not forget history. Do you? Nosotros no olvidamos la historia. Tu te olvidas? WE KNOW SPANISH TOO. Para palabras necias, oidos sordos. However, para sus palabras necias, nuestras palabras necias tambien. Pen is mightier than the sword. I visited Canyon del Muerto recently as a turist, and you can feel the cry of the dead in your bones. I think you should visit to remind you this history you are talking about "a bit of history to support...".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ivette

85 months ago

thank you, t. jefferson for your back up there should be more people in this world like you.. and maybe we would stand a chance in society.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

T. Jefferson in West Palm Beach, Florida

85 months ago

You are welcome Ivette. And never forget the roots and foundation of this nation. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all! There are people that lost their lives in so many wars, to preserve our individual rights and freedom. This includes the right to work,as well, and the right to the "pursue of happiness". The pursue of happiness right was a main human goal implicit in the great constitution of the United States of America,written by our first patriots. Stay firm and do not give up hope, as this is a constitutional issue. What we see here is the blatant theft of our national treasure (our rights, our identity); our freedom, by domestic constitutional thieves.*** They just told me that I have to edit due to advertising, and or using vulgar language, and or using personal attacks, however this is not so. I am trying to buffer and dissipate emotions created by people who responded with unsensitive sarcasms to justifiable and legitimate comments. I do have the same right of expression as Mr. Melville, New York did. However I am using better sensitivity and less arrogance in my comments. ***

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Karie Lee in Salt Lake City, Utah

84 months ago

While I strongly agree that people with criminal records are being discriminated against in both the work force and when trying to rent, the situations is not completely hopeless. As it stands, more than half a million individuals in the U.S. are being release from prison each year. I believe 30% of the entire population has an "imperfect record." These individuals are being scrutinized and stigmatized every step of their attempts to rehabilitate themselves.
While I've never been to prison, I did have a minor conviction 3 years ago. I did not want my past to stand on my way of obtaining housing of my choice. My friends recommended that I find an attorney who would help me. I did. My record was obliterated through the process of expungment. Expungment is obliterating or sealing one's record. The cite www.recordgone.com has some really useful articles on the matter. If you are having trouble renting in California, like I was, try this one:

recordgone.com/articles/criminal_record_renting_California.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

TERRENCE in Indian Lake Estate, Florida

81 months ago

I UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION THAT SOME OF US FACE,AS PEOPLE WITH A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND.I STILL HAVE A PROBLEM WITH EMPLOYMENT BECAUSE OF MY BACKGROUND.REALLY,ALL WE NEED IS A CHANCE TO BETTER OURSELVES,IF THAT OPPORTUNITY WERE GIVEN TO THOSE,ASWELL
AS ME,WITH A BACKGROUND RECORD !!! EVERYONE,HAS DONE SOMETHING
IN LIFE THAT THIER NOT PROUD OF;BUT,DON'T TAKE IT OUT ON THOSE
THAT MADE A BAD DECISION,AN GOT CAUGHT.WE ARE NO DIFFERENT FROM
THE REST.THAT'S KEEPING IT REAL !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jutaboutdone in North Platte, Nebraska

74 months ago

Charlie in Savannah, Georgia said: I was just writing in response to an ex drug dealer who wanted to be a nurse or something like that. I don't understand why people who have criminal records believe for a millisecond that it doesn't change things. If I lost fingers on one hand I'd not expect to become a world class pianist.

Even a nurse who had many years of experience would not be able to get the job back after any drug related convictions.

So you are saying that one mistake in your past should haunt you for the rest of your life? It is individuals like you that have placed America in the sad state it is in today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

deedee in charleston sc in Springfield, Virginia

74 months ago

Cheryl K in Delaware in Schwenksville, Pennsylvania said: If you're a Judge Matthias fan, he got in some scrapes with the law as a child, now he's a judge and gives second chances. I just recently had an interview for a claims processor in Family Court; it looks really good.

im happy for you, but how did you go about getting through the door with a conviction.. what did you do to make your chances greater.. i was charged 14 yrs ago for assault .. i got into a fight with another youg lady while living in fl... even though the sentence was 30 days which was reduced to 1 yr probation.. because of new evidence in my favor...the prosecutor apologized.. and said my felony would be reduced .. which didint happen.. its just said all the emails im reading.. my first time ever getting into any trouble.. and my last...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Deann McElrath in Plant City, Florida

74 months ago

IVETTE said: HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THE PAST AND PAID FOR IT NOW??? WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IS SOME PEOPLE HAVE COMMITED SOME KIND OF FELONY OR MISTOMEANOR AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE US A CHANCE THEN SOCIETY WONDERS WHY THERE IS SO MANY PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES OUT THERE..HELLO IF SOCIETY DOESN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE HOW IS IT THAT WE ARE GOING TO PROVE OURSELVES THAT WE WANT TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF IT'S LIKE "YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SO THERE FOR NOT INTIALED TO HAVE A JOB"? I MEAN COME ON THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.. GRANT IT THEY SHOULD SE WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE YOU HAVE COMMITTED AND THE JOB YOU ARE APPLYING FOR... IF ANY ONE OUT THERE IS GOING THROUGH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M PLANNING TO START A PETITION TO CONGRESS TO GET SOME KIND OF HELP FROM THE STATE TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS KIND OF DISCRIMINATION .............

Completely agree with you. Not only that but you have to live a life on the edge because you have a record and now people look at you like ou are guilty of anything someone claims. Having a record makes life almost impossible. There is definately help needed here. I know you posted this a long time ago, but if you are still pursueing things let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

deaver1999 in Bellmawr, New Jersey

73 months ago

Can Someone please HELP. What are we to do because we have a criminal record we want to live normal lives. We do not want to commit more crimes we just want a chance to live normally everybody makes mistakes. I am about to loose my mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Hello I am going thru this problem and just about anyone who has been convicted is Yes we do need to do something. Please contact me so we can try to work together to do something. deaver1999@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I have been doing some research and have found that in many states convictions can be overturned by the sentencing judge. By writing to the judge and explaining the extenuating circumstances of the case and what positive things you have done in your life since the end of your sentence they will consider overturning your conviction. The down side is I think you had to have pleaded innocent or no contest. I will try to update when I get more information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

scott oberlin in Columbus, Ohio

72 months ago

please send me any information on this my e-mail is scotto22@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Scott, I understand exactly what you are going through. I have been seeking employment for about 3 months now. I had a good job and was fired in July because I am a woman. Now I am in the job market again and having no luck. As soon as you have to check criminal background on your job application they usually don't even give you the chance to explain the circumstances behind your conviction. I am writing a letter to my judge right now to have my conviction overturned. I am out of ideas at this point. I am doing everything I can to try to change the way society misconstrues a conviction. Good luck to you and know you are not alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bkevin007 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

69 months ago

Jutaboutdone in North Platte, Nebraska said: So you are saying that one mistake in your past should haunt you for the rest of your life? It is individuals like you that have placed America in the sad state it is in today.

This is a hot topic. I can empathise, like only someone who went though it can. 18 years old, pot charge for possesion of 1 joint. Evryone does it, I pay for it. again and again and again. The governement sentenced me to a fine, and community service, and probation. I worked my but off to pay back that retribution and what they dont realize is they also sentence you to the much harsher punishment of ruining every chance you get to succeed and grow in a career for every day after your sentence is up. It goes on and on and follows you around. Thats a little harsh I think for smoking a joint. Dont you? and i dont condone or smoke pot now and havnt for many years. but we were all 18 wernt we? I'm a graduate student of business and seeking a professional career. I went through a long and drawn out pardon prosess that took me half way around the world to obtain signatures and police checks from every place I ever lived. Then it was packaged and mailed back and forth to the federal government about 5 times over the course of 6 months. I received my pardon. But I still have to declare legally at job interviews that I had been convicted of a federal conviction. The pardon means nothing really and I keep right on paying. its a joke is what it is. the legal system that provides this kind of consequence for this kind of crime is a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I have to agree with you. In this state it is now just a fine. So why when they pardoned you didn't they just expunge your record. Have you tried that? Or even having your conviction overturned since you have been pardoned? I haven't had my life ruined enough yet. I can't apply for a pardon for 2 more years. I don't understand the legal system. Once your dues have been paid then I think the record should be sealed and you should be done. I wish you good luck my friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KEISHA GRIFFIN in SHEPPARD AFB, Texas

68 months ago

It amazes me that how some people react to a person having a felony. There was an elderly man (at least in his 60's), whom applied for a job at HEB (grocery store). He was denied a job due to his background. What surprised me was that he had committed this crime over 40 years ago. I am like WHAT! I was under the impression that a background check only goes back for so many years, but I guess my impression was wrong. What is this man going to do? It is apparent that he needs a job, or something to do because he is looking for a job.
As far as the negative comments that are being made by others... Do you not understand what BE REASONABLE! BE POLITE! means. I pretty sure that majority of the people in this world have a relative that has committed some kind of crime. Maybe they are yet to be caught, or maybe they have been. That pen you took yesterday from work. The trash bags, paper towels, toilet paper etc. That is theft. Or maybe the vendor had too much of something and gave it to you. That is theft. The hotel room towels. That is theft. Sleeping with a married man/woman that is a crime. When someone said "there use to be a place for people like that." That was rude and uncalled for. You are basically saying, no matter what type of crime it is a person should be locked away forever??? A murderer who killed just to kill & a murderer who killed to protect himself; should get the same treatment? A drug dealer & a petty theif should get the same treatment? I feel you are just intentionally riling people up. No one is destined to be on this earth forever. Just because you are older, you want to piss on/off others? What a shame. Shame on you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless in Phila

64 months ago

Hi,
I agree with you. We need reform in regards to non-violent and minor felonies. My felony is for habitual traffic offender and I am having the same problem. Employers see "felony" and they don't care what it is. So, you are treated as BAD person unworthy of any chances thereafter. This in turn...and I hope it does not happen to me, forces you to make desparate decisions and commit REAL CRIMES! We have to have our voices heard in congress, the punishment is far too steep.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

thipslm in Liverpool, New York

64 months ago

I have a friend who is a convicted felon. She is 100% self supporting, she does not do anything wrong. When she fills out an application online, on paper or whatever, and whenever a job prospect will ask her if she has ever committed a felony, she says no...OK, this is the part where you all throw stones at her, "well, he who has no sin throw the first stone"..I do believe that those places that she worked for see the felony conviction when the back ground check cames back and decided to hire her anyway because she was a worth while worker and a good person. My friend will never put an employer in the position of not hiring her by marking yes to the question of her being a felon. She will always say no to this question. Yes, some may not hire her when they have done the back ground check, but she doesn't want to work for those kind of people anyway. The kind of people who have hired her have integrity and they understand that if you say you are a felon you will not get a job. But, if you say that you are not a felon they can hire you even if it comes back that you are. Again, this is the part where you all stone her, again, he who has no sin throw the first stone. My friend has enjoyed working for a living and never looks back. She does not go to work for a paycheck but rather goes to work to work, knowing that the work will give her a paycheck. And as far as some of the best places that will train people out of work, I have heard them say things that they should not say about felons. So I do not blame my frined, she is a great person, who has to sleep with her self and look in the mirror and has to support herself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

thipslm in Liverpool, New York

64 months ago

Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention, my friends conviction was over 20 years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

s4mm4n in Spartanburg, South Carolina

56 months ago

I have a felony record 12 years ago, I got out in 2002 got a job doing manual labor in a dying breed(textile) in 2003, my pay at that time $7.50 hourly. In November of 2009 I got laid off and my pay only went up to $8.75. Through strict discipline and conservation I managed to save up and buy my own typical 3 BR home and have two cars (with help from wife we make less than $40,000 per year). During those years I was actively seeking employment. I was repeatedly turned down on all jobs I applied for. Currently, I'm enrolled in college, majoring in Information Technologies. I have researched and applied for entry level jobs with no replies and a "we'll call you" or "You are doing good now, there are lots of places out there". To make a long story short, I do not consider myself an Ex-felon and I keep a positive outlook on life but the problem remains that if you have a criminal record, chances are VERY slim for a professional career. It is disheartening and discouraging but I try to be a better person everyday and learn from my mistakes. Now these days the quality of the person is overlooked by a mistake he/she has done in the past.
"This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.'
Zechariah 7:8-10

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

IVETTE in Waterbury, Connecticut

56 months ago

THERE ARE SO MANY STORIES JUST LIKE YOURS. I MYSELF AM STILL STRUGGLING IN SOCIETY. ONLY ADVICE I HAVE TO YOU IS HAVE YOU CHECKED ON ERASING YOUR CRIMINAL RECORD? I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT AND ITS SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY BE ELIGIBLE BEING THAT IT HAS BEEN MORE THEN 5 YRS.. LOOK IT UP IN YOUR STATE IT'S WORTH A TRY.. GOOD LUCK..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

s4mm4n in Spartanburg, South Carolina

56 months ago

Can't erase the record at the moment. Since it was committed in North Carolina, through information from colleagues and associates, it will be time consuming and especially very expensive. I will do more research and read the forums here for more input, and your ideas and opinions are very appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

miamistyledjs in Sylvester, Georgia

53 months ago

You Are An Idiot people Make Mistakes & It Dosen't Take A Lifetime To Pay For Them If That's The Case All Felonies Should Be Punishable By Death. Dumb Ass

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

frankieblue114@yahoo.com in Magnolia, New Jersey

52 months ago

Hey my name is Frank and Im going through exactly what you are I have skills and am a hard worker but for employment mostly their concern isnt my education or job experience but my past . I NEVER KILLED NO ONE AND FEEL I LIKE YOU THAT WE SHOLD GET ANOTHER CHANCE RIGHT ON!!! Write me at Frankieblue114@yah.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mark1234 in Pompano Beach, Florida

50 months ago

you're doing a good thing/ I'm in
arrested for walking passed a police officers "gun side" (at 19 years old)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

myssunappreciated in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

49 months ago

I am in Louisiana and the same thing is happening here to me. Have you tried anything to help yourself. I have tried everything. But nothing has changed. Without a job how can someone make changes if no one is willing to help. We have paid for our mistake can we just get past that. If there is anyone who know please pass the information on. Thanks a lot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

n/a in Placerville, California

49 months ago

You may want to try to sell your skills as a business, if you are handy in maintenance, welding, mechanical ..... This economy is rough enough. If you have a talent that can be sold you will spare yourself the indignity of application, interview rejection.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

taffynaffy in Tallahassee, Florida

47 months ago

I am going thru the same thing. I agree with everything that you are saying because I have said the exact same thing. I have a Masters degree and I still can't get a job because of my record. I have been unemployed for the past two years and have no income, what am I supposed to do? Society says that they want to reduce the rate of recidivism (repeat offenders), but yet they are not willing to hire people with criminal records. I am tired of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

n/a in Placerville, California

47 months ago

In this climate it is sad to say, no one really cares. It is only you that can do for you. If you have no one, that makes it much harder. Unfortunately we are on the bottom looking up. You might try to network, just have to keep trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Many of us are going through this and my husband who has a job gets looked over for promotions and his raises slip through the cracks please start a petition we need help from some where. Yes many of us make mstakes and pay for it the rest of lives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Knimboss in Aurora, Colorado

43 months ago

@IVETTE Im going through the discrimination thing severly here in Colorado!!!!!....Before I was jilted from my last job 2 years ago, the boss told me "we are the only people who would take you"...what a bunch of crap!!! And all the meanwhile the boss was a criminal....I stayed with that company for 2 years, with a pay cut!! Something has to be done about this discrimination...email me please, to get things rolling in this "blue" state...whatta joke!!!! bkareem87@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carrollbrat

39 months ago

Hi1 I have just read what you wrote and would like to talk to you about the petition and get involved I am a felon with 9 years and trying to find a job and have wrote to congress but of course NO HELP. Pls. get back to me ASAP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.