APPLY DIRECTLY TO COMPANIES; DO NOT USE LARGE AGENCIES!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

O'vale,CA in Sacramento, California

88 months ago

Wow... wish I knew about this site before I registared with "several" placement agencies...Appleone,Robert Half, Ledgent..RCS... I found my job that I start tomarrow..the best sourse to look at for a job search is the agency of "ME,MYSELF & I" they will find you what you need! I was so sure that someone would help me find something fast when I was laid off due to an office downsize, I mean I have an excellent history and skills, my employer even gave me a letter of reference! but nope, nada, nuttin from any of the "Top Notch" places out there seemed to give me the time of day once I came in and did the dance with them...I would apply to a job they had listed, they would call me, I go in and registar and all of a sudden nothing...I do belive they are just leaches. never again will I registar with them...I sent a mass email to all the recruiters I spoke to, to let them know I no longer required there services, of which they provided none, as I had secured employment on my own. Yeah ME. I am sure they place some people, but not as many as they would love you to think. As an additional resourse,maybe, just dont leave your job search up to them...your one of hundereds / thousands .. Look for your self.. find where to fax or mail, email your resume to where it is you want to work, they may just like what they see and how resourseful you were in bypassing the crap to get to them and want to see you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy W in Beaufort, South Carolina

85 months ago

Thank Beth. I have been in banking for 15 years and the job I do is specialized. I don't want to work for a large bank (you are just a number) and the position I found through Accountemps was for a new bank in a nearby town which I did not know about. They don't even have phones yet.

I appreciate the info. Have a great day.

Wendy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina B in Staten Island, New York

85 months ago

Addecco is crap. I worked for them in a temp to perm spot for two weeks. They knew I was interviewing. I got a call for a permanent spot and they were very upset that I took the position. Needless to say, I didn't give a crap! I had every right to decide to take a permanet offer over the temp to perm assignment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Greensboro, North Carolina

84 months ago

ablest is crap too told me temp to hire and said airconditioned and moving big chunks of plastiwith forklift well that evening i rode by so i woud know where it was at an saw doc door open if air condtioned why door open and no truck in it and if pallets of big plastic chuks why small shelfs and went to website small stuff mainly and als i emailed and faxed a letter asking about this and they open at 7:30 and never called me but when i called them they said compnay backed out and if the case why not call me after the copany callls i think they were mad i found out they lied and i stuck resume in the companies door i was to work for cause since never got a check from temp service never legally worked for them so can't do crap and i have been on a temp job where the principal asked me if i wanted a job before i worked my hours fo the them to do that i was going to do that and not say crap to temp service

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Amused in Bothell, Washington

84 months ago

V in Rochester Hills, Michigan said: I always enjoy logging on and coming to this site just to see what the unemployed of the world have to say about agencies who were smart enough NOT to hire them. It's very comical. I found my job through an agency and it's awesome! If you're not getting hired, you may want to check your attitude, your attire and maybe your breath! Seriously! People who aren't getting hired aren't seeing the whole picture. It's more than a resume or experience, it's presentation of yourself. Just be neat, clean, and POSITIVE. Good luck

I AM employed, you maybe you shouldn't assume. I like to come on here, because I recently left my job as a recruiter for this lovely company and like to confirm that I wasn't crazy leaving the position. They are greedy and they do NOT care about candidates. It's all about #'s and $$ in the staff pocket. Simply stated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Denise in Charlotte, North Carolina

84 months ago

I am currently on assignment with Adecco. I have a question. Have any of you heard that you are required to give a full 2 week notice to the client?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wendy W in Beaufort, South Carolina

84 months ago

In my case it was the client, not the temp agency. The client thinks they can do a better job in finding someone that the temp agency eventhough the temp agency had the position posted for 2 months & only had 2 applicants and it was posted on just about every job board on the net!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

79 months ago

Denise in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I am currently on assignment with Adecco. I have a question. Have any of you heard that you are required to give a full 2 week notice to the client?

If that's required it's ridiculous as the client would never give YOU two weeks notice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul C in Manchester, United Kingdom

36 months ago

And you only need to mess up ONCE and suddenly all those bookings where you did what was expected of you and did it well don't matter any more. You messed up. We can't use you any more. You are a liability. We can no longer take the risk. Goodbye.

It doesn't matter that were you a regular employee, your boss might take the point of view that everyone has one off day. Regrettable, warn them, but give them another chance. They might even ask if anything contributed to your poor performance that day, and take it into account.

But no, you're a temp. A disposable working unit. You proved defective. Just climb into the skip with the rest of the crap. Goodbye.

And in this case, the bad day was way back in March. The agency involved did not tell me then it was not prepared to use me again. So like a complete idiot I've been ringing them and checking in with them every so often and I kept getting fobbed off. Until this morning when I went into the office on the off-chance – there was a job in the window that was well within my competence and I wanted to make a case for my getting it. I then had a bad interview with a senior consultant who told me exactly why I was off their books and it would be pointless for me to keep trying.

It hurt and it humiliated and I was angry and I said exactly what I thought and why I should be given another chance but no, I was still shown the door.

The guilty party who kept me hanging on for so long are Adecco of Piccadilly Plaza Manchester, and the client company who disposed of me way back in March were the so-wonderful caring and considerate National Health Service. Let's name the guilty parties!

I even asked Adeco sometime around May if I'd done anything wrong and if the reason they weren't offering work was because of the NHS fiasco, and they said "no, keep in contact, something's bound to come up".

And by the way, the client company was Salford Royal Infirmary's records division, who struck me as such a bunchC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Paul C in Manchester, United Kingdom

36 months ago

And by the way, the client company was Salford Royal Infirmary's records division, who struck me as such a bunch of clueless ill-managed cowboys that I would not be surprised if a scandal erupted soon over the wrong records going to, say, an operating theatre and some poor sod getting the wrong surgery... we were not welcomed, nor made to feel welcome, we were not adequately shown the job, we were not given adequate space to work in, there was no air-conditioning, we were not even shown where we could eat our lunch, and at the end of it, on an afternoon where I really felt ill, I asked "same time tomorrow?" and was told yes - only to discover when I was rung at home by the agency they'd already decided to off me, but the craven pieces of faecal matter had not said it to me personally, they'd told the agency!

Oh, and a great big bonus prize for caring to the really lovely ------- at Adecco. full marks, girl, for inducing a mood of utter loathing in me at the degree of sympathy you showed. Enjoy your life.

And when I was working for them they fouled up my pay too, and could not get it into my bank account on time - it arrived substantially late and in arrears...

NEVER WORK FOR THE ADDECO AGENCY - THEY HAVE THE SAME DUTY OF CARE TO THEIR TEMPS AS KING HEROD HAD FOR THE FIRSTBORN OF BETHLEHEM!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

36 months ago

Anne in Littleton, Colorado said: If that's required it's ridiculous as the client would never give YOU two weeks notice!

You won't get any notice when working thru a temp agency. You will just get a call after work telling you not to return to the assignment. It has happened to many people when they least expected it and when they were told they were doing well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Machiavelle in Minneapolis, Minnesota

25 months ago

Beth in Willisburg, Kentucky said: You find out about unadvertised openings by applying directly to employers. Your Chamber of Commerce has a list of the main employers in your city . Or review your phone book's yellow pages to identify & create a list of businesses you want to work for. The 1st step is making a list of all companies that you want to work for. The 2nd step is gathering list of names of those who have the power to offer you a job. You call each company & ask for name & title of the Hiring Manager in your area of expertise. Don’t let them give you the HR Manager ’s name (unless that’s the dept. where you want to work), because your 1st contact should be with the hiring manager in your field. The 3rd step is to mail your resume with a cover letter addressed to that Hiring Manager. The 4th step is to call & contact this Hiring Manager & ask for an interview.
I highly recommend this website: www.quintcareers.com/cold_calling.html

Some companies will no longer accept resumes unless they are submitted electronically. This is the result of allowing technology to override essential human contact. I recently brought a resume--physically--to a nationwide company that is HQd here in Minneapolis for a marketing position, and do you know what they said? "Oh we don't accept resumes in person or through the mail anymore. They have to be submitted electronically. When I get an actual resume, as an HR employee, the first thought that comes into my head is 'how am I going to code this?'"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Beth in Willisburg, Kentucky said: You find out about unadvertised openings by applying directly to employers. Your Chamber of Commerce has a list of the main employers in your city . Or review your phone book's yellow pages to identify & create a list of businesses you want to work for. The 1st step is making a list of all companies that you want to work for. The 2nd step is gathering list of names of those who have the power to offer you a job. You call each company & ask for name & title of the Hiring Manager in your area of expertise. Don’t let them give you the HR Manager ’s name (unless that’s the dept. where you want to work), because your 1st contact should be with the hiring manager in your field. The 3rd step is to mail your resume with a cover letter addressed to that Hiring Manager. The 4th step is to call & contact this Hiring Manager & ask for an interview.

Some companies will no longer accept resumes unless they are submitted electronically. This is the result of allowing technology to override essential human contact. I recently brought a resume--physically--to a nationwide company that is HQd here in Minneapolis for a marketing position, and do you know what they said? "Oh we don't accept resumes in person or through the mail anymore. They have to be submitted electronically. When I get an actual resume, as an HR employee, the first thought that comes into my head is 'how am I going to code this?'"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cal in Orange Park, Florida

17 months ago

I'm tired of applying through online agencies/employment services. All they are is middle men. I don't get anywhere.
I got a job last month after 5 months of online searches (mostly through middle-man agencies online, some direct applications online and a few in-persons). I got that job due to God's grace and due to word of mouth. NONE of the online agencies helped.
Randstad, Kelly Services and also sites like Careebuilder, Snagajob are useless or for me. I waste hours and months applying!
The job that I did get last month as an e-commerce lister for North Florida-Jacksonville Goodwill (the job I got only through word of mouth from another Goodwill employee)...well, I was fired by an over-bearing manager. She harrased me from my 2nd day there, made assumptions and treated me & other co-workers terribly (she is very nit-picky, overly suspicious and selfish). Even other employees noticed her negative treatment of me. If you are improving in your numbers or improving away from any error, she will overlook it and try to sabotage you.
Now I am reporting them for firing me before an improvement deadline (also bogus). They fired me before that deadline. Now because of their stupidity and selfishness, I am stuck having to search jobs again and trying to avoid these crappy job sites/online agencies that do not work.

Cal in Orange Park, Florida

17 months ago

By the way, can anyone tell me what are the BEST sites that will link you directly to companies in order to apply to them (NO middle man sites like Careerbuilder or Monster, please). Thanks.

Kristen in Lugarno, Australia

17 months ago

Wow, your comment is astonishing, I am a female Aerospace engineer working in leading aircraft technology. The company I work for is making 450 workers redundant within the next few weeks. Since this news I have applied for over 200 jobs most I am over qualified for and willing to take a pay cut as I have a family to look after so happy to have a job if made redundant. When you get continuous rejection emails and told your qualification exceed or do not apply to the position it's is disheartening and can shatter your self esteem, if your lucky to get a reply at all. Please be a little more considerate to people's circumstances as you can not judge a person on their qualities from a post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bally in Houston, Texas

13 months ago

Agencies are awful. I once worked through Kelly Services in Memphis, TN. I was working for a company called Primacy Relocation. My work quality was excellent and I was constantly praised for my work ethic. The supervisor started meeting me at the door every single day with work to take home and do. Apparently the company suddenly had a lot of extra orders. I was not getting paid for this. Other temps were doing this as well and the job market in Memphis was so bad they did not even question the pay which they knew automatically would be zero.

This was clearly wage theft.

I did the extra work, HOURS of free work because I really needed the job for a few days and then I called Kelly Services and informed them I along with others were being asked to work "OFF THE CLOCK" and it was several days now.

The Recruiter at Kelly Services sounded oh so concerned and told me that was not allowed. The next day, without warning, when I made it home from work Kelly Services had already called me and left a voicemail that my assignment had "ended".

It was Kelly Services that terminated the contract. They could have cared less about the FREE WORK the temps were being asked to perform. They showed me that I should have kept my mouth closed.

These temp agencies are so immoral. It really is a bottom feeder group. The Huffington Post just wrote an article about how temp jobs are growing at a faster pace than regular jobs. All these temp agencies do is bombard companies and try to convince them to give them the job and that they don't have to pay benefits, and that the employee is completely replaceable with NO PROTECTIONS.

Bally in Houston, Texas

13 months ago

Also, be careful about telling a temp agency you are getting unemployment. A friend of mine in Memphis Tennessee did this and told a recruiter at Gateway Staffing Group she was getting unemployment and she turned down a job that was paying LESS than her unemployment and was about 30 miles away from where she lived. The temp agency called and reported her.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bally in Houston, Texas

13 months ago

Don't use Career builder or monster either. They allow the temp agencies to pay money to misrepresent the jobs. They allow temps to place temp jobs under the permanent status without identifying the job as temp. I called up to complain and was told by a manager they allow the temps to do this if the job has the possibility of going permanent. WHAT BULL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Bally in Houston, Texas said: Don't use Career builder or monster either. They allow the temp agencies to pay money to misrepresent the jobs. They allow temps to place temp jobs under the permanent status without identifying the job as temp. I called up to complain and was told by a manager they allow the temps to do this if the job has the possibility of going permanent. WHAT BULL.

Also be careful of companies that outsource ONE job to five different agencies. They will plaster the job boards with slightly different descriptions but its really just that ONE job.

MzStone in Tacoma, Washington

13 months ago

Good afternoon,
I must post what I know about "Temp Agencies" I'm not saying that I am a pro about them, I feel that I know how they work,
I have signed up with
Express Employment Professionals,
Randstad Staffing,
Volt Workforce Solutions,
currently with Remedy Intelligent Staffing. (we will see)

Do not tell them anything that you are getting or doing, it is like what they don't know wont hurt them, this past February 2013 to March 2013 I took a class at Pierce College in Puyallup WA and they where not happy, Pierce Works!!!! I didn't really care, The class was great! I'm glad that I took it. All I did was Google "worker retraining" and there is was. Please be care full, keep the communication open with them, if you do not get the results that you are looking for then move on, like I did with Volt, the assignment that I was on only lasted not a month, I sent email left voice mails, so I sent one last email telling them that since they don't have any assignments that I was going to move on,. But hey thanks for the experience as the day time fulfillment person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Victoria in Stockton-on-tees, United Kingdom

2 months ago

Does anybody have any websites to go on to apply direct to a job vacancy? I have been on many and a lot do not give the company name, just an agency. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Malcolm in Bridgetown, Barbados

1 month ago

Victoria in Stockton-on-tees, United Kingdom said: Does anybody have any websites to go on to apply direct to a job vacancy? I have been on many and a lot do not give the company name, just an agency. Thanks.

If you are looking for a job in the Caribbean, try www.caribbeanjobsonline.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

thomas in Cape Town, South Africa

12 days ago

Im Thomas looking for the job of driving I have a code 10 with public im willing to work under and any where I can find job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.