What's the company culture at Allstate?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (37)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Allstate?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Allstate?

Reply - Report abuse

What I Know in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

Pros: It's a big company that's not going away anytime soon. At the headquarters, many parts of the property are very pretty, there is amply parking, and benefits are generally good with a (fee) fitness area and a pricy day care center.

Cons: Policies are not universally applied throughout the company. For example, while one group may have wi-fi laptops, two flat-panel screens, cell phones, regular Casual Days, bright and airy cubicles, and telecommuting, you could just as easily end up in another group with old, slow desktops, 15-inch CRTs, no telecommuting, a cramped and poorly-lit cubicle, and maybe the occasional casual day.

In general, people at the headquarters are mostly cordial but not really 'friendly,' and some are suprisingly rude. This isn't a place where you'll be hanging out with anyone after hours at Friday night happy hour, that's for sure.

Be aware that last yaar they gave a voluntary termination offer mostly to employees that had been there for several years, and they've recently outsourced their HR - including hiring - to Southeast Asia.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Another Comment in Winfield, Illinois

88 months ago

Traveled an hour to Northbrook, spent four hours there interviewing and was told I would be contacted within two weeks. They said they had twelve other candidates to interview (!) and I was the first one.

Two weeks later I called the HR rep and was never called back. The interviewers themselves seemed nice enough (both were late and harried, however) but a VERY rude HR staff. I can see not sending a reject letter to everyone who applies but if someone interviews, at least return a phone call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

gunner47 in San Leandro, California

87 months ago

I worked at Allstate for nearly a decade. Once I was advised that it was important to remember that one could not get promoted simply by being good at your job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Another comment in Chicago in Elmhurst, Illinois

87 months ago

I worked for Allstate for twelve years. Five in the field and seven at the corporate office.

To correct "what I know in Chicago". Allstate offered the voluntary termination offer to ALL exempt level employees (regardless of tenure)that was about 7K employees. I accepted the offer to round out my professional experience. Having said that, the culture is very employee friendly in comparison to most insurance companies. Additionally, ALL functions within Allstate are undergoing a review of their areas for outsourcing opportunities. HR outsourced a majority of their departments including recruitment, benefits, the generalist side and payroll.

There are several perks that are offered at the corporate office that are not available at remote offices (i.e. onsite daycare, dependant daycare backup, onsite fitness center and Starbucks). The benefit package is much better than most insurance companies as well as their compensation philosophy and approach. They are fair and believe in consistency.

Having worked in a field location the culture is definitely more relaxed and you see casual fridays and even flexible summer hours etc.. because there is no corporate presence. In the corporate office the culture is a bit more formal - you see the CEO in the cafeteria and at times at Starbucks. So denim Fridays is not widely accepted at the Northbrook location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Willowbrook, Illinois

87 months ago

gunner47 in San Leandro, California said: I worked at Allstate for nearly a decade. Once I was advised that it was important to remember that one could not get promoted simply by being good at your job.

I Agree 100%

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Asheville, North Carolina

87 months ago

I worked for Allstate for over 10 years in a field office. They consolidated and I chose to leave. Allstate is the poster child for passive/aggressive. They will solicit your opinions and NO MATTER HOW GENUINE, CONSTRUCTIVE, OR WELL-MEANING YOUR IDEAS, if you suggest something that goes against the prevailing policy at the time, they will turn on you like a rabid dog. I have heard several times in meetings that "if you do not like it here, McDonald's is hiring". I did not have a problem with them not asking for my opinions or ideas, BUT I DID HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM TURNING ON YOU FOR DOING WHAT THEY ASKED. My friends that are still with the company are all quite unhappy and so overworked that they all complain that they are about to have a heart attack. Be warned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

What I Still Know in Elmhurst, Illinois

86 months ago

ALL policies - including summer hours and dress code - depend ENTIRELY on your manager. This is stated in the employee handbook, so while the company may offer certain things (such as telecommuting and casual Fridays), that doesn't automatically mean each one is available to YOU.

Most 'perks' are really conveniences, since the company does charge you for them and there's not many options in the immediate surrounding area. (Side note: Executives in the corporate HQ have their own dining room and chef.)

This is one of the more political cultures I've seen compared to other Fortune 500 headquarters I've been at in recent years. (It's also hypersensitive to criticism, re-spinning news stories posted by AP, Reuters, etc, rather than just posting them as is, and blocking employee access to sites as benign as a blog that criticized Allstate's handling of Katrina claims.)

On the plus side, the pay is very competitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

MJ, Michigan

86 months ago

gunner47 in San Leandro, California said: I worked at Allstate for nearly a decade. Once I was advised that it was important to remember that one could not get promoted simply by being good at your job.

Ahhh, yes, one must factor in the brown-nose quotient !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Johny Shumate in Chicago, Illinois

85 months ago

Honestly I think Allstate is a company of the past. I don't think pay is fair and is hard to address with anyone within management. It's completely normal for Allstate to do whatever it takes to create diversity. I'm a white male and have never been treated like I have been while at Allstate. If I were a candidate I would look somewhere else first. This company is bad place and a slave to the stock price.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Anon in Willowbrook, Illinois said: I Agree 100%

I also agree 100 percent

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

What I Know in Chicago, Illinois said: Pros: It's a big company that's not going away anytime soon. At the headquarters, many parts of the property are very pretty, there is amply parking, and benefits are generally good with a (fee) fitness area and a pricy day care center.

Cons: Policies are not universally applied throughout the company. For example, while one group may have wi-fi laptops, two flat-panel screens, cell phones, regular Casual Days, bright and airy cubicles, and telecommuting, you could just as easily end up in another group with old, slow desktops, 15-inch CRTs, no telecommuting, a cramped and poorly-lit cubicle, and maybe the occasional casual day.

In general, people at the headquarters are mostly cordial but not really 'friendly,' and some are suprisingly rude. This isn't a place where you'll be hanging out with anyone after hours at Friday night happy hour, that's for sure.

Be aware that last yaar they gave a voluntary termination offer mostly to employees that had been there for several years, and they've recently outsourced their HR - including hiring - to Southeast Asia.

I agree with this comment and would add apples (WRP) and oranges (West Plaza) are completely different. IF you work in Willow Road Plaza then your in the ghetto that is for sure...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Another Comment in Streetsboro, Ohio said: I am a middle-level manager and have worked in the Corporate HQ in Northbrook, IL and in several field locations. I'm a 20 year employee - its been my only "real" job. This company has been very, very good to me for a long time. Compared to my friends, some of whom have Masters Degrees, I make more money and generally have better benefits. Years ago, we started with one week's vacation. Now, we hire new employees who get about 20 days off a year (includes sick days) to start. If you are someone who has both people skills, a good work ethic and can multi-task, this is a company for you. The diversity (particularly in large field locations and in Home Office) is unmatched. This has been a great company to be affiliated with for more than 20 years. As to the corporate office, it is difficult for people to get together after work - but this isn't because folks aren't nice. Its because they live so spread out and have families. There are several affinity groups employees can join at the HQ. As to the field locations, each office has its own personality. In my experience, the younger the workers, the more they "hang out" after work. Some of my best friends are also Allstate employees.

You are a joke maybe we should have lunch and talk about your corrupt views at the North Plaza cafe...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

KatHatesAllstate in Atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

What I Know in Chicago, Illinois said:

I'm guessing that if I worked at a company that consistently screws people over and if I had to listen to complaint after complaint, I would be cranky too.

After my experience with allstate, I have ended friendships and turned down dates b/c someone works for allstate.

www.myspace.com/girlundercover

www.myspace.com/allstatevictim

www.kathatesallstate.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John 64 in Illinois

77 months ago

Angela in Asheville, North Carolina said: I worked for Allstate for over 10 years in a field office. They consolidated and I chose to leave. Allstate is the poster child for passive/aggressive. They will solicit your opinions and NO MATTER HOW GENUINE, CONSTRUCTIVE, OR WELL-MEANING YOUR IDEAS, if you suggest something that goes against the prevailing policy at the time, they will turn on you like a rabid dog. I have heard several times in meetings that "if you do not like it here, McDonald's is hiring". I did not have a problem with them not asking for my opinions or ideas, BUT I DID HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM TURNING ON YOU FOR DOING WHAT THEY ASKED. My friends that are still with the company are all quite unhappy and so overworked that they all complain that they are about to have a heart attack. Be warned.

I agree with this comment...they talk about diversity, but in general they are not open to new ideas or different perspectives. If you are looking for a dynamic environment where your ideas can be heard, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

John 64 in Illinois

77 months ago

What I Know in Chicago, Illinois said: Pros: It's a big company that's not going away anytime soon. At the headquarters, many parts of the property are very pretty, there is amply parking, and benefits are generally good with a (fee) fitness area and a pricy day care center.

There current rumor mill is there is going to be another reduction in force, but they aren't calling it this. They are using the performance management approach so they can get rid of employees without having to pay severance as well as having it become part of the public domain. Makes sense since the earnings were down for the current quarter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Denton, Texas

76 months ago

I work in the Dallas location. Very nice! People are VERY friendly. However... earnings are probably down so much because the company is spending so much money on this "Inclusive" program. It's basically common sense to most people, but the company is making such a big deal out of it. On another note: It depends on the department you work in if you want good/bad feedback. Accounting is probably the best department you could work for at Allstate. I wouldn't reccomend working for Northbrook Services. (NBS=A lockbox company within Allstate) The work is VERY manual, and the workload is TOOOO heavy... and on top of that... the contractors they hire want to sit down all day and do nothing---so you end up having to take their dead weight!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Carol Stream, Illinois

34 months ago

I was part of an 8% reduction in force in favor of Indian Resources in August 2011. 3 weeks before I was told I was being let go, someone filed for my Unemployment Benefits in Illinois and to this date have stolen $2,600 in my unemployment payments.

I find if very disturbing that Allstate released information to the public that I was going to be released over 3 weeks prior to them informing me. There were many injustices over my tenure of a decade there. I was a key resources and mentored many of my colleagues there. I find this company to be totally incompetent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Average Joe in Glassboro, New Jersey

25 months ago

Do not work in Allstate claims. The workload requires you to stay late or come in early everyday. If you work 8-4:45 you will not make the ridiculous goals set fourth my management. The management are like Nazis that watch everything you do. I repeat DO NOT WORK IN CLAIMS. The turnover rate is so high 5 of my coworkers that I was hired with approx 1 year ago are no longer with the company. This is one of the most stressful jobs i've ever had. There is NO formal training. They put you through these useless simulations for a week then throw you on a computer taking live calls. Employee moral is low and you can tell by just looking at all the miserable people that work there. Unless you are desperate do not work here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

1111 in Evanston, Illinois

17 months ago

I LOVE working for Allstate!! The culture is very open. Very few leaders have doors, much less an 'office.' I also love the benefits they offer to employees (benefits for partners, adoption assistance, daycare, oil changes, etc.') My colleagues are the best of my job though! I love coming to work everyday!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Barb in Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

Another Comment in Winfield, Illinois said: Traveled an hour to Northbrook, spent four hours there interviewing and was told I would be contacted within two weeks. They said they had twelve other candidates to interview (!) and I was the first one.

Two weeks later I called the HR rep and was never called back. The interviewers themselves seemed nice enough (both were late and harried, however) but a VERY rude HR staff. I can see not sending a reject letter to everyone who applies but if someone interviews, at least return a phone call.

Allstate's personnel department is very chaotic. There are so many layers of red tape to cut through to get a job. I was interviewed by over a dozen people, promised a larger salary but when I got there was given much less than what was agreed upon in the interview. I was told by management that there are so many different personnel companies all over the US that Allstate uses, so the salary agreement was "a misunderstanding" per management. Bottom line, one "good hand" does not know what the other is doing. No one there wants to take responsibility for their errors and the managers refuse to take any accountability for their actions, or more likely their inactions. Trust me, I've been there, and it was a nightmare. Other employees treated this way need to come forward so that Allstate con become a more ethical place to work at and/or deal with

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

John 64 in Illinois said: I agree with this comment...they talk about diversity, but in general they are not open to new ideas or different perspectives. If you are looking for a dynamic environment where your ideas can be heard, I would suggest looking elsewhere.
Allstate is very set in their ways, and it is difficult, if not possible to show management what the problems are and how they can fixed. Most of the managers I dealt with while working there, were there for the sole purpose of keeping their chair warm, collecting their paychecks and basically doing nothing productive, just waiting for retirement to get their pension

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Average Joe in Glassboro, New Jersey said: Do not work in Allstate claims . The workload requires you to stay late or come in early everyday. If you work 8-4:45 you will not make the ridiculous goals set fourth my management. The management are like Nazis that watch everything you do. I repeat DO NOT WORK IN CLAIMS. The turnover rate is so high 5 of my coworkers that I was hired with approx 1 year ago are no longer with the company. This is one of the most stressful jobs i've ever had. There is NO formal training. They put you through these useless simulations for a week then throw you on a computer taking live calls. Employee moral is low and you can tell by just looking at all the miserable people that work there. Unless you are desperate do not work here.
I totally agree with Average Joe. The goals/production is ridiculous, and employees are forced to work 12 hour days plus weekends to make their numbers. I did pipe up in a meeting and asked why their numbers a not realistic and impossible to meet in a 40 hour work week. After dodging the question several times I finally pinned down the manager to get an answer to my question. The manager looked to the ground, did not make eye contact and muttered that this is just Allstate's way of doing things. Very weak, thoughtless, uninspired management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Vernon Hills, Illinois

13 months ago

Allstate is VERY bureaucratic. Most HR and Recruiting functions are outsourced. Recruiting has always been very poor at proper communication to both external and internal candidates for job postings. All you can expect is a voice message or a generic email response that is non-helpful.

Allstate is undergoing a lot of pain right now. CEO Tom Wilson is clueless. Geico, Progressive and State Farm are killing Allstate in the marketplace. More layoffs can be expected.

Sad that such a great brand is experiencing so much turmoil. Lots of good people at Allstate, but very weak and non-strategic senior management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ROBERT HAY in Texarkana, Texas

13 months ago

John 64 in Illinois said: There current rumor mill is there is going to be another reduction in force, but they aren't calling it this. They are using the performance management approach so they can get rid of employees without having to pay severance as well as having it become part of the public domain. Makes sense since the earnings were down for the current quarter.

AND WHEN YOU RETIRE, IF U DON'T GET FIRED FIRST, YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR BENEFITS OVER A FEW YEARS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

13 months ago

I applied for an open position, an inside claims trasinee, was informed of a telephone interview, which I completed and the recruiter sent me an assessment...then two hours later HR sent me an email saying the position had been filled and was no longer available. I asked the recruiter what to do: he said to take the assessment as it stays on file for 12 months. I asked him how I did, he said I passed it but that position was not available at this time but I could apply for other positions. Very strange way to recruit!

chaotichands in Waupaca, Wisconsin

13 months ago

Another Comment in Winfield, Illinois said: Traveled an hour to Northbrook, spent four hours there interviewing and was told I would be contacted within two weeks. They said they had twelve other candidates to interview (!) and I was the first one.

It is a blessing in disguise that they didn't call back-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

John 64 in Illinois said: I agree with this comment...they talk about diversity, but in general they are not open to new ideas or different perspectives. If you are looking for a dynamic environment where your ideas can be heard, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

I totally agree. The atmosphere there which I experienced was toxic.

13 months ago

Anonymous in Portsmouth, New Hampshire said: I applied for an open position, an inside claims trasinee, was informed of a telephone interview, which I completed and the recruiter sent me an assessment...then two hours later HR sent me an email saying the position had been filled and was no longer available. I asked the recruiter what to do: he said to take the assessment as it stays on file for 12 months. I asked him how I did, he said I passed it but that position was not available at this time but I could apply for other positions. Very strange way to recruit!

I agree about the strange recruiting. Unfortunately, even if you did get hired,it's my opinion that the strange procedures and chaotic atmosphere doesn't get any better.

13 months ago

Mike in Vernon Hills, Illinois said: Allstate is VERY bureaucratic. Most HR and Recruiting functions are outsourced. Recruiting has always been very poor at proper communication to both external and internal candidates for job postings. All you can expect is a voice message or a generic email response that is non-helpful.

Allstate is undergoing a lot of pain right now. CEO Tom Wilson is clueless. Geico, Progressive and State Farm are killing Allstate in the marketplace. More layoffs can be expected.

Sad that such a great brand is experiencing so much turmoil. Lots of good people at Allstate, but very weak and non-strategic senior management.

I agree with your comments regarding their style of management.

13 months ago

Mike in Vernon Hills, Illinois said: Allstate is VERY bureaucratic. Most HR and Recruiting functions are outsourced. Recruiting has always been very poor at proper communication to both external and internal candidates for job postings. All you can expect is a voice message or a generic email response that is non-helpful.

I agree with your opinion about the senior management, and would like to add that that the management issues also extend to their mid to lower level management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Terry in Waupaca, Wisconsin

13 months ago

Angela in Asheville, North Carolina said: I worked for Allstate for over 10 years in a field office. They consolidated and I chose to leave. Allstate is the poster child for passive/aggressive. They will solicit your opinions and NO MATTER HOW GENUINE, CONSTRUCTIVE, OR WELL-MEANING YOUR IDEAS, if you suggest something that goes against the prevailing policy at the time, they will turn on you like a rabid dog. I have heard several times in meetings that "if you do not like it here, McDonald's is hiring ". I did not have a problem with them not asking for my opinions or ideas, BUT I DID HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM TURNING ON YOU FOR DOING WHAT THEY ASKED. My friends that are still with the company are all quite unhappy and so overworked that they all complain that they are about to have a heart attack. Be warned.
Having had the pleasure of working at Allstate, if forced between working at Allstate or McDonalds, I would choose McDonalds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mrs Terry in Honolulu, Hawaii

13 months ago

After experiencing the joys of working at Allstate, if I had to choose between working at Allstate, or working at McDonalds, I would choose McDonalds for sure.

13 months ago

After experiencing the joys of working at Allstate, if I had to choose between working at Allstate, or working at McDonalds, I would choose McDonalds for sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Angela in Asheville, North Carolina said: I worked for Allstate for over 10 years in a field office. They consolidated and I chose to leave. Allstate is the poster child for passive/aggressive. They will solicit your opinions and NO MATTER HOW GENUINE, CONSTRUCTIVE, OR WELL-MEANING YOUR IDEAS, if you suggest something that goes against the prevailing policy at the time, they will turn on you like a rabid dog. I have heard several times in meetings that "if you do not like it here, McDonald's is hiring ". I did not have a problem with them not asking for my opinions or ideas, BUT I DID HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEM TURNING ON YOU FOR DOING WHAT THEY ASKED. My friends that are still with the company are all quite unhappy and so overworked that they all complain that they are about to have a heart attack. Be warned.
After experiencing the joys of working at Allstate, if I had to choose between working at Allstate or working at McDonalds, I would choose McDonalds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

After experiencing the joys of working at Allstate, if I had to choose between working at Allstate or working at McDonalds, I would choose McDonalds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

IT Person in Northbrook, Illinois

11 days ago

I work in Allstate's IT department, and I am in one of those places with laptops and multiple screens....but oh yeah, I need that. So those people that are talking about the screens, that is a bunch of bs. They equip you with what you need, not what you want. I get to work from home a few days of week. I get A LOT of time off, and I just graduated from college, so I didn't do anything to earn it. I also think my department is really family oriented, and allows us to be off on short notice for family emergencies. I have worked in two areas of IT (one as a intern), and they were both like this. I work second shift, so a lot of things are not available to me that are available on first. Overall, Allstate is a great company to work for, and I would recommend to any recent college graduates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.