Amazon.com Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 80)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Amazon.com?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

jd in Seattle, Washington

92 months ago

Greg said: The first two rounds of phone interviews are very technical. You will be asked to write *complete* functions and the interview will scrutinize you answer in detail, though, they don't actually compile the source. They will also ask you to describe algorithms to solve problems involving computational complexity, but, at a higher level than coding. Also, there were some algebra questions to assess your level of mathematical skill and some detailed design on server questions.
I have not had the 3rd round of onsite interviews yet.

What position was this for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Walter in Huntington Beach, California

88 months ago

Have you worked overtime that was unpaid in past jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

Allan in San Antonio, Texas

88 months ago

Walter in Huntington Beach, California said: Have you worked overtime that was unpaid in past jobs?

I donate all unpaid overtime to the federal government to help keep the productivity figures healthy. I'm not interested in suing if thats what you on about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Walt in Huntington Beach, California

88 months ago

Does anyone work in California and perhaps was not paid overtime? We enforce the California overtime laws at www.paymeovertime.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

matthew smith in Lexington, Kentucky

78 months ago

Jason in Louisville, Kentucky said: I worked at Amazon for about two years as an Area Manager.

There will be an initial phone interview with mainly general (not difficult) questions. Many focusing on your leadership experience.

If you are brought in for a second interview, it will usually be a group interview (you and anywhere from 4-6 managers). One will usually take the lead and ask all of the questions, with the others asking follow-ups as they see fit.

Also, the very first part is an excel test and a pretty easy math test. Just make sure you know what TPH means (throughput, or volume processed per unit of time).

Being an AM at Amazon is not easy. Prepare to work nights, weekends, and all holidays. Just because it is a "paid" holiday does not mean you get a day off. And as a salaried manager, you will not be paid overtime.

Besides those negatives, working there can be extremely rewarding. You will gain some very valuable experience and learn from the best in the industry.

And for those looking at Software Developer positions in Seattle (corporate), I really can't speak to the culture or interviewing experiences there. It's a whole different world from the Operations side (Fulfillment Centers)

One note: Since I sat in on quite a few Area Manager interviews, I can tell you that Amazon is usually very selective. They turn down far more candidates then they make offers to. They are looking for potential, not just your current abilities or past experiences. There is a very heavy emphasis on you level of intelligence (along with your leadership skills).

Jason I have applied and am looking to become an Area Manager in Lexington, KY. I was wondering what former background you had in order to help you get this position, and if you remember if they do a credit check or not? I have no problem with any other form of background information, but I have had credit problems in the past and really don't want this to keep me from the job. T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

mdm74 in Seattle, Washington

66 months ago

I worked at Amazon for many years. There will always be a "trick" question that is there not to see if you get it correct, but rather to see how you think out the process. Leadership is something that every person is "graded" on for their performance review, so be ready to discuss. Do your research about the Company and know what systems or process they use, ie. Six Sigma, Lean, Agile, Scrum, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stephen strange in New York, New York

66 months ago

Just blew an interview for a software position at IMDB. Asked to write a program over the phone, but in my haste made an error. Tried to correct it after-the-fact via email, but to no avail.

Anyone out there want to comment on how writing a program over the phone is a measure of technical expertise, communication skills, ability to think on the fly, etc? Would be great to hear opinions from both programmers and interviewers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

pjlee in Kent, Washington

63 months ago

I came across a great guide on preparing for amazon interview. In particular, it offers insights into amazon culture, and what kind of characteristics they're looking for. Also, it has 150 practice interview questions. You can check out the guide at www.geekmba360.com/?p=795.

cheers,
PJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (136) Reply - Report abuse

Retail Guy in North Port, Florida

61 months ago

matthew smith in Lexington, Kentucky said: Jason I have applied and am looking to become an Area Manager in Lexington, KY. I was wondering what former background you had in order to help you get this position, and if you remember if they do a credit check or not? I have no problem with any other form of background information, but I have had credit problems in the past and really don't want this to keep me from the job. T

I worked as an Area Manager at the Fulfillment Center (FC) in Phoenix for about 2 years so I could answer some of your questions. Amazon's Senior Ops team is looking for managers with diverse backgrounds, where retail experience is a plus. We've had a number of former military in roles of AMs and Ops. As far as your credit check goes, I don't think it will be a factor. I had a foreclosure on my credit report and I still got in. If you are the right candidate that fits their mold, they will pick you up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Retail Guy in Phoenix, Arizona

61 months ago

mdm74 in Seattle, Washington said: I worked at Amazon for many years. There will always be a "trick" question that is there not to see if you get it correct, but rather to see how you think out the process. Leadership is something that every person is "graded" on for their performance review, so be ready to discuss. Do your research about the Company and know what systems or process they use, ie. Six Sigma, Lean, Agile, Scrum, etc.

To add to this comment, Amazon relies upon Kaizens (their lingo for 6-sigma) and Lean (5S projects) quite heavily. As an Area or Operations Manager, you will be expected to run at least one Kaizen project per month. While this is great in theory, keep in mind this project management work is added on TOP of your daily responsibilities as a manager. Needless to say, you'll have your hands full.

Again, make sure to stress your interest for continuous improvement projects (kaizens) on the production floor in your interview process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gadgetzmo in Columbia, South Carolina

60 months ago

Retail Guy,

I had some questions for you. I recently started my interviews at Amazon for the AM position and had a few questions that I wanted to e-mail you regarding the location and team I will be interviewing with. If you can send me an e-mail at gadgetzmo@hotmail.com, I can follow up with you. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Hrapray in Florida

58 months ago

So gadgetzmo, did you get the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Richard6959 in Colorado Springs, Colorado

46 months ago

Math is my weak point. I really need to brush up on the type of math questions that will be asked. Can anyone provide some formulas or math scenarios that are used in the distribution center?

Also, are there any good books or online resourses that should be reviewed for DC operations that could help me prepare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

HI, Retail Guy, could you please expand on the problem you mentioned and what specifically you mean by 'throw variations to the scenario to see if you can think on your feet'?

Thanks,

Retail Guy in Phoenix, Arizona said: If I recall correctly, and the interview process varies somewhat within each DC, you'll be given a rate problem to solve (Units per hour = volume / time). Sort of like, if line 1 has 5 associates working at 100 UPH, and line 2 has 10 associates working at 50 UPH, and they converge at a bottleneck point, what's the impact to their operations, etc.. So, Google rate problems and solve a few of them to get some practice. Sr. Team usually gives you about 15-20 minutes to solve the problem by yourself, then come in as a panel to your room and throw variations to the scenario to see if you can think on your feet. As far as DC operations go, talk to somebody who's been there to understand what you're getting into! :) For better or worse, it's a ride. Ask them about PEAK ops, and how much they enjoy working 60+ hours during PEAK! ))

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Retail Guy in Phoenix, Arizona

46 months ago

Log in Cambridge, United Kingdom said: HI, Retail Guy, could you please expand on the problem you mentioned and what specifically you mean by 'throw variations to the scenario to see if you can think on your feet'?

Thanks,

Unfortunately, I don't recall the specifics of the problem since it's been awhile ago, plus I'm sure the problem has changed since that time. As far as variations in the interview process go, what I mean is after giving you an initial problem to solve, the panel will give you variations of that problem, sort of like asking "instead of 2 lines converging at one bottleneck spot, you have added another line working at a certain rate. What impact does that have to your production?" Google "rate" problems, solve a few of them, and you'lll be fine. Amazon changes their standard questions used during the interviews, so it won't help you to memorize a certain formula I'm giving you here. Understand the general concept instead. They're looking to see if you are analytical person who can think on your feet, that's all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tcbrepos1 in Ringgold, Georgia

39 months ago

John Doe123 in Collierville, Tennessee said: Just finished Amazon interview for fulfillment center, not easy at all...

Why was it not easy???I have interview in Chattanooga, TN, what can I expect??

Thanx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

smileforever41@yahoo.com in Bangalore, India

38 months ago

Matthew, your explanation about the journey in amazon is stunning. I am excited to ask you few more questions. I am planning to attend an interview for a process named "TRMS". Can I get more details about the process, job profile, etc? I have tried to dig out some details on the web, but it was no luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

KVLNarayana Rao in Bangalore, India

34 months ago

Hi,

Please share the questionnaire to me.

I am appearing for interview for Project Manager software development.

Thanks
Rao

gadgetzmo in Columbia, South Carolina said: Retail Guy,

I had some questions for you. I recently started my interviews at Amazon for the AM position and had a few questions that I wanted to e-mail you regarding the location and team I will be interviewing with. If you can send me an e-mail at gadgetzmo@hotmail.com, I can follow up with you. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

margolies in Waukesha, Wisconsin

33 months ago

I have an interview coming up as a Director level in Photo studio management. ANy pointers for interviews, I've had two phone interviews and a screener and I have been contacted about setting up an interview in Seattle although the job is not located there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Annie in College Station, Texas

32 months ago

Hi, Guys, I am going to have a 2nd phone interview for the Supply Chain Optimization Analyst Position. I haven't found anyone in the internet discussing about this position. I am wondering if there is anybody who has been interviewed for this position and share some experience or advice. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Humble, Texas

32 months ago

I also got a call for Supply Chain Optimization Analyst Position . Have not seen anything on internet yet .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

George 12 in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

Annie in College Station, Texas said: Hi, Guys, I am going to have a 2nd phone interview for the Supply Chain Optimization Analyst Position. I haven't found anyone in the internet discussing about this position. I am wondering if there is anybody who has been interviewed for this position and share some experience or advice. Thank you.

Hi Annie

Do you mind sharing your interview experience with us? I have not seen a role like yours with Amazon in any forum before. I assume it is a technical role.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

George 12 in Houston, Texas said: Hi Annie

Do you mind sharing your interview experience with us? I have not seen a role like yours with Amazon in any forum before. I assume it is a technical role.

Hi, George.
I had 1st and 2nd round phone interview with Amazon for the Supply Chain Optimization Analyst Position. Based on the conversation in the interview, I think that this position is under the Business Analyst group. So its responsibility is a little similar with Business Analyst.

For the interview, nearly all of the problems are technical. They like to see how you solve a problem. To prepare for the interview, you can review Probability, some basic supply chain or inventory concepts like lead time, metrics to measure supply chain and so forth. Also, they would like you to have SQL knowledge, Excel knowledge, statistical analysis skill for this position.

Hope my experience would help others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jammy in Raleigh, North Carolina

32 months ago

Hi Annie,
I also have an interview with Amazon but for a different supply chain position. Can you give a little more insight on what would be best to read in excel and probabilities or what should I concentrate on . I am confused as it is going to be a phone interview. Thnx.

32 months ago

For Excel, they may ask you how to deal with data, like how to select the data which appear twice or more. For probability, very simple question, ask you to compute a probability, don't worry about that, you should tell them how you compute that probability. They may further ask you what this probability means, which is related to some concept in Supply Chain, like stock out. You can also prepare yourself with some SQL statements, they may ask you to select some specific customers from some tables. To sum up, those questions are very basic, not hard to solve. You just need to listen carefully and understand the interview's questions.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

jammy in Raleigh, North Carolina

32 months ago

Thanks Annie! One last question : I am new to SQL, so what would you advise?
All the best for your next round!

32 months ago

Well, I think you use some open resource online, for example SQL tutorial online to go through the basic statement, like "select" statement, using "select, from, where". They will just ask simple question to let you select some customers satisfying one condition from different tables. Basic SQL statements are simple, you can learn it fast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

margolies in Waukesha, Wisconsin

32 months ago

I was offed a position with Amazon and accepted today!

My experience was a little different from most as I work in commercial photography and creative production. However, like interviewing with many large companies there were many rounds of interviews, a trip to Seattle for a full day of interviews, many diverse lines of questions focused on the areas of interest of those interviewing me. And lots of obscurity and a surprising lack of details but I also realize many companies hold details very close and like it that way.

It took from November 2011 until today to complete the process. In part I realize all those involved at Amazon had many other things going on too and that when many people are involved in the hiring process it can seem like nothing is happening or not going as fast as the applicant wants while behind the scenes many thing can be going on or just getting everyone scheduled can be difficult so I can be patient and accepting of how long it took.

Further, I'd rather that be very careful and take their time, I plan on being with them a long long time, I want both of us to be very sure there is a great fit and see potential for future promotions and growth.

I'm excited about the new position I will be taking and its potential. As a side note I'm accepting a cut in pay and several steps down in title in hopes that it grows into what I think it can be for my goals as well as those of Amazon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Oakdale, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

stephen strange in New York, New York said: Just blew an interview for a software position at IMDB. Asked to write a program over the phone, but in my haste made an error. Tried to correct it after-the-fact via email, but to no avail.

Anyone out there want to comment on how writing a program over the phone is a measure of technical expertise, communication skills, ability to think on the fly, etc? Would be great to hear opinions from both programmers and interviewers.

I think the key to writing a program over the phone is not if you get it right or wrong, but to see how you think and communicate. They will likely want to hear you articulate your thought process (i.e.: I'm going to use a hashtable since the time complexity is 1 and blah, blah). This shows that you are not only thinking, but can articulate what you are thinking to others - very useful in Pair Programming

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Oakdale, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

stephen strange in New York, New York said: Just blew an interview for a software position at IMDB. Asked to write a program over the phone, but in my haste made an error. Tried to correct it after-the-fact via email, but to no avail.

I think the key to writing a program over the phone is not if you get it right or wrong, but to see how you think and communicate. They will likely want to hear you articulate your thought process (i.e.: I'm going to use a hashtable since the time complexity is 1 and blah, blah). This shows that you are not only thinking, but can articulate what you are thinking to others - very useful in Pair Programming

jammy in Raleigh, North Carolina

32 months ago

Hi Annie,
Thank you for input. I cleared my 1st round. I wanted to know how different are the nature of the questions in the first round as compared to the second. By the way, how was you second round? Thnx in advance!

phillis in Austin, Texas

31 months ago

I also have a phone interview for Operations Research Scientist position with the Inventory Management group. I am guessing there won't be any coding or leadership questions since the position is very different. I googled about the position, but I would like to have some specifics to Amazon. Anyone had such experience and can give an advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Ann Arbor, Michigan

31 months ago

jammy in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Hi Annie,
Thank you for input. I cleared my 1st round. I wanted to know how different are the nature of the questions in the first round as compared to the second. By the way, how was you second round? Thnx in advance!

Hi, Jammy. The 2nd and 1st interview is not much different in the nature. It is also a technical interview with focus on those knowledge I discussed above. May ask you about SQL or statistical analysis, or others. It depends. But as far as I know, they like someone with good computer science and statistical analysis knowledge. Also, communication is important. Try to understand their questions accurately, show your thinking and how you solve a problem.

Annie in Ann Arbor, Michigan

31 months ago

phillis in Austin, Texas said: I also have a phone interview for Operations Research Scientist position with the Inventory Management group. I am guessing there won't be any coding or leadership questions since the position is very different. I googled about the position, but I would like to have some specifics to Amazon. Anyone had such experience and can give an advice?

I think this is a very technical position. Prepare for modeling and statistical analysis. I guess.

Br in Columbus, Indiana

31 months ago

Hi guys,

I applied for a Operations Financial Analyst position that directly supports Amazon fulfillment center. I have a upcoming phone interview this week. This is a college recruiting program, which means it is an entry level position. Has anyone been in interviews for this particular position? If yes, could you please share your personal experience, expectation etc. about the interviews? How many rounds are there?

Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mary Diaz in Chicago

31 months ago

hi,

I am in an interview process for Vendor manager at Amazon. Anyone has any experience with on-site interview for this position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LIONEL in Paris, France

31 months ago

I applied for a transportation manager Amazon, I have a upcoming phone this week, Has anyone been in inteviews with Amazon? what kind of questions? If yas, could please share your experience?

Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ella in Gainesville, Florida

31 months ago

Annie in College Station, Texas said: Hi, Guys, I am going to have a 2nd phone interview for the Supply Chain Optimization Analyst Position. I haven't found anyone in the internet discussing about this position. I am wondering if there is anybody who has been interviewed for this position and share some experience or advice. Thank you.

Annie, great to see u here, I also get interview of this position, but I am stil in the very first phase.
Could you share your expirence with me? Thanks a lot!!!!

Olivia in Redmond, Washington

31 months ago

jammy in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Hi Annie,

Jammy, the conversation between you and Annie are very helpful. Would you please share a little bit more about your first round of supply chain position? What kind of questions they asked you for both behavior and technical? Thanks in advance!

Arjun in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

Hi Annie

I just came across this thread. I cleared the first round for the supply chain optimization analyst position. What are the kind of questions you were asked in the second round?

Thanks

31 months ago

Jammy

What was your second round like?

Thanks

31 months ago

They may ask you more about SQL, statistical things and some basic supply chain concepts, like lead time etc.

31 months ago

Thanks, what do you mean by statistical things? Can you give me an example?

George 12 in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

Annie in College Station, Texas said: For Excel, they may ask you how to deal with data, like how to select the data which appear twice or more. For probability, very simple question, ask you to compute a probability, don't worry about that, you should tell them how you compute that probability. They may further ask you what this probability means, which is related to some concept in Supply Chain, like stock out. You can also prepare yourself with some SQL statements, they may ask you to select some specific customers from some tables. To sum up, those questions are very basic, not hard to solve. You just need to listen carefully and understand the interview's questions.

Good Luck!

Hi Annie,

Hope you had two good rounds of interviews. Did you get a chance to find out about the next step in their process? Were you given the opportunity to go onsite for any interview regarding this position at any point?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GDub in Rome, Italy

31 months ago

Hello everyone, I applied for a sales-related role (Vendor Manager) and got a message containing a Link to an Analytics Test to be taken online as a second screening phase, does anybody had completed this test and wants to share? Any feedback would be appreciated as I am not sure what to expect there (logic, math?).
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

@Brijesh

I don't know about how they call for a second interview. I got the call the very next day via email. Were you invited for second round?

Brijesh in Brooklyn, New York

31 months ago

Arjun in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: @Brijesh

I don't know about how they call for a second interview. I got the call the very next day via email. Were you invited for second round?

@arjun...

i gave my interview dis monday but still havnt heard anything from them.so dont know whats on their minds. arjun can u inbox me your phone number at brijesh.desai87@gmail.com?? How was your second interview?

jxj in Vancouver, British Columbia

30 months ago

I just had an interview with a junior Research Scientist (the position I'm applying for) at Amazon. It was quite pleasant despite my lack of interview experience and occasional awkward moments of silence.

The questions are mostly technical. You can find my blog entry here: blog2grow.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/my-amazon-job-interview-experience/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Hello guys, I have been invited to Seattle for an onsite interview for the supply chain optimization analyst position. Has anyone done this yet? I had two rounds of technical interviews on the phone before this.

Annie, did you get invited after your second round?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.