What's the company culture at American Express?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at American Express?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at American Express?

Reply - Report abuse

Sean Costello in Atlanta, Georgia

86 months ago

I worked at AET for many years. Although the dress is casual, the politics are not. In the twenty years I worked at AET, I was able to pack everything into one box. Don't get me wrong, I worked my tail off for that company, but at the end of the day what did I accomplish? Nothing. The leadership has no vision. Everything is reactive, not proactive. Lots of firedrills for lots of no value add activities.

The smart ones are getting out now, hopefully with a severance package. The ones trhat stay (and do not retire soon) will be hard up to find a comparable paying job in the Phoenix market ... which is why they are shaking in their boots everyt time a re-org happens. Lots of "C" player dead weight lurking the halls of AET now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Current Employee in Surprise, Arizona

85 months ago

This place is a meat grinder. You can do everything right then fall out of favor literally overnight because you are not singing the company tune loud enough. Too many VP's and directors and not sufficient staff to get the actual work done. This is one of the most reactive, fire-drill companies that I have ever worked at. Pay is on the low end with most folks hired at less than the 50 percentile. Turn over is high. It's Global Procurement (now "Purchasing Services" organization)is completely dysfunctional with a severe lack of focus on supporting the core business of Amex-- you will be at the beck and call of anything Ameriprise (a so called "client" of Purchasing Services) wants to have done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ren214

84 months ago

ive worked at amex for 7 years, been laid off 3 times. once you are laid off even if you are a great employee it is hard to get back in, too much red tape.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Former New York employee in Ridgewood, New Jersey

84 months ago

Sean Costello in Atlanta, Georgia said: I worked at AET for many years. Although the dress is casual, the politics are not. In the twenty years I worked at AET, I was able to pack everything into one box. Don't get me wrong, I worked my tail off for that company, but at the end of the day what did I accomplish? Nothing. The leadership has no vision. Everything is reactive, not proactive. Lots of firedrills for lots of no value add activities.

The smart ones are getting out now, hopefully with a severance package. The ones trhat stay (and do not retire soon) will be hard up to find a comparable paying job in the Phoenix market ... which is why they are shaking in their boots everyt time a re-org happens. Lots of "C" player dead weight lurking the halls of AET now.

I worked in the corporate HQ for many years. If you want to work at Amex, just bear in mind that you will work hard, learn a great deal and get laid off. Almost everyone who I know who has ever worked there has been laid off. This applies to all job levels.

In my opinion, Amex is a company that values intelligence, not experience. You will see very few older workers at the HQ. I saw them let go more people than I can count even though the company was turning a healthy profit.

The brand was built a long time ago by some very talented people. The people who are there now are just carrying the mantle. Go ahead and work for them if you wish, just don't expect them to value you as an employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

GoWest in Englewood, Colorado

69 months ago

Amex has changed its health insurance plans to "catastrophic" insurance coverage while greatly increasing the premiums. They claim to value their employees but the reality is that this company is willing to push the majority of risk of medical cost to its employee base to save a buck. My deductible (amount I pay before insurance kicks in) is $9600 per year. Unlike Mastercard or Visa, who make money from processing credit card transactions, Amex lends money. And, unlike Bank of America (and other card issuers) they DO NOT take deposits. This means that Amex is struggling to deal with its massive debt in the billions (with a "b") of dollars. For comparison, their debit/equity ratio is 6 point while Mastercard is 0.08 points. WOW! During this credit crunch crisis, Amex is having cash flow problems...another WOW!... They are also reducing the spend limits on accounts and attempting to raise rates on their cards all while raising fees for the "privilege" of using their card. This will drive customers and small businesses to Visa and Mastercard. Amex will soon be incapable of surviving on its own and will need to merge or be acquired by a firm that DOES take deposits and has massive cash reserves. I smell a takeover...maybe Bank of America if they have the stomach for all that massive debt. Bottom-line -- this company is going to shed a lot of jobs now and in the future when it can no longer operate without a cash sponsor and the acquiring company runs operations...BUYER (and employee prospects) BEWARE!! Boo! Time to be scared.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.