How to get a job at American Express.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Host

Do you work at American Express? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Chermise Middelbrooks in High Point, North Carolina

89 months ago

How did you get an job working for American Express? Will this interfere with me raising my 3mth daughter.How are the hours at American Express? Are the hours flexible? how can be a member of American Express? Please email back and let me know how i can get started?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (211) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

harry in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

89 months ago

This job and few others are being advertized for almost a year now. Suprizing that they couldnt find any one to fill it... May be some executive is waiting for his kid to grow and take this job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

DLJ in Palatine, Illinois

87 months ago

Amex is very "clicky", almost like High School - you have to know someone to get a job..AND...more importantly you must fit in. It depends on the area as to how flexible they are regarading raising children.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Klaus in Sun City, Arizona

87 months ago

Kerry in Phoenix in Avondale, Arizona said: I have been in the instructional design "community" for many years and I don't know what AMEX is smoking, but very few IDs have the level of experience required by AMEX in HTML, Dreamweaver, Fireworks etc. That is a skill set possessed by graphic designers. I'm sure there are some people out there who come with the whole package, but you have to wonder why AMEX has such a turnover of IDs or why they hire so many contract IDs, who I don't believe are traditional IDs. I personally think they need to change the title of the job advertisement because their requirements are misleading.

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN! I worked under contract there for several months as a technical writer (my Master's in ISD and years of experience designing CBT didn't qualify me as an ISD there). I couldn't believe the low level of instruction being put out by their "ISDs", employees and contract. I wouldn't have put my name to almost anything I saw. They had people without ANY degrees working as ISDs! But then, they DID know their way around Dreamweaver, Captivate, and all other kinds of cutsie-fartsie applications. Until they get decide to staff the management with professionals instead of long time employees who read a chapter or two on ISD, they will ALWAYS keep looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

innovations in Glendale, Arizona

87 months ago

"Until they get decide to staff the management with professionals instead of long time employees who read a chapter or two on ISD, they will ALWAYS keep looking."

You confirmed what I suspected. I am an external candidate that has been called repeatedly for interviews. Then... I find out they hire someone internally. Why don't they just stop di#king around external candidates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No Reply - Report abuse

deborah callaway in Mountain View, California

85 months ago

Host said: Do you work at American Express? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

i would like to work out of atlanta ga for american express

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

deborah callaway in Mountain View, California

85 months ago

if you have any leads on how i could work in atlanta ga, at american express please snd info to my email

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ren214

85 months ago

innovations in Glendale, Arizona said: "Until they get decide to staff the management with professionals instead of long time employees who read a chapter or two on ISD, they will ALWAYS keep looking.

"

You confirmed what I suspected. I am an external candidate that has been called repeatedly for interviews. Then... I find out they hire someone internally. Why don't they just stop di#king around external candidates.

they even di#king enternal canidiates too, especially if you have been "displaced".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gwil331 in Cincinnati, Ohio

48 months ago

How do you comment on a particular topic. I don't see where I can click or espond to that particular person.
Help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RuinFlag in Tempe, Arizona

43 months ago

Everything I read is true. Have been called by Amex HR no less than 25 times for different jobs and have had no less than 5 interviews for the past 3 years. I was even told once they were not going to hire me although I was the most qualifies candidate. They hire internally and the external interviews are so they hit some numbers. Based on my multiple experiences I can tell that HR and Hiring managers are just inadequate and inexperienced. I was always under the impression that the person in front of me had no clue about what they were doing and as a matter of fact I felt they wanted to learn from me how to do their job. Totally inadequate people looking to give promotions to their internal friends to gain political power.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dee Dee in Phoenix, Arizona

40 months ago

American Express is a chop shop and they offer the lowest pay you can get for ID and technical work anywhere (except maybe in rural Idaho or somewhere). The type of bean counting corporate environment that squeezes a bucket of plasma from workers for a low wage and then lets them go with less than a couple hours notice. Disgusting.

I'm a technical writer and an ID who took a contract there and after two weeks on the job, our manager dissapeared and these two creepy people came down from Salt Lake told all of us they just wanted to "help us" until we got a new manager.

They literally "interviewed" the entire design staff (like they would new employees) individually for 30 minutes and took pictures of us in the room alone with them. It was the most unprofessional, bizzare thing I've ever been through. You knew they were going to fire people, not help anyone.

A week later, full time and contract staff start dissapearing. All the staff started shaking in their boots, like this was a regular occurance. Of course, I was one of them. Apparently this "just the beginning" of another house cleaning for them, as I was told today from a reliable source.

What a bunch of inept, unprofessional managers. Meetings were like being with high school students - having people "ssssh" them while they passed notes to each other. I'm HAPPY to be out of there. I had no intention of staying beyond the contract end anyway.

If you want to be overworked, underpaid, crammed in a hot, crowded work area, then laid off with less than 24 hours notice, this is the place for you!!! Not me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sweets2323 in Hollywood, Florida

34 months ago

how long does it take for the assessment scores to come back for the Travel Counselor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Cnicki31 in Fairburn, Georgia

14 months ago

I have submitted several applications with American Express, I would very much like opportunity working as an Home Agent for the company. I interviewed with the company about 1yr ago and thought the interview went well however was told company decided to go with someone else. I have 18 yrs. banking experience and feel that I am very much qualified for the job. I would like to know actually what this company is looking for to be considered for the job. Are there any recruiters that can pull my resume and review my status to give me some feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

solo

11 months ago

Can anybody give me an idea what the assessment test is like for at home Care Professional???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Just Asking 01 in Chicago, Illinois

11 months ago

Does anyone know if they require credit checks for employees?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

K. smith in B M Goldwater A F Range, Arizona

10 months ago

I too have Banking, Call Center as well as current work from home experience. I was beginning to think that somehow I bombed ony testing. If they aren't gonna hire qualified people it should be against something to keep wasting peoples time. Glad I did this search anyways.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

maxineallen01@comcast.net in Lithonia, Georgia

10 months ago

K. smith in B M Goldwater A F Range, Arizona said: I too have Banking , Call Center as well as current work from home experience. I was beginning to think that somehow I bombed ony testing. If they aren't gonna hire qualified people it should be against something to keep wasting peoples time. Glad I did this search anyways.

I must agree with you I took the test twice and still I have not heard anything.

The test is very time consuming and difficult I studied, and studied still no response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Just Asking 01 in Chicago, Illinois said: Does anyone know if they require credit checks for employees?

yes they do

10 months ago

solo said: Can anybody give me an idea what the assessment test is like for at home Care Professional???

Look for a posting from April 15, from Clarrisa she was very helpful, it's quite long but great info is in her blog.

Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Krissy in Baltimore, Maryland

5 months ago

Cnicki31 in Fairburn, Georgia said: I have submitted several applications with American Express, I would very much like opportunity working as an Home Agent for the company. I interviewed with the company about 1yr ago and thought the interview went well however was told company decided to go with someone else. I have 18 yrs. banking experience and feel that I am very much qualified for the job. I would like to know actually what this company is looking for to be considered for the job. Are there any recruiters that can pull my resume and review my status to give me some feedback.

Were you ever hired? How far into the process did you make it?

reneadean@att.net in Atlanta, Georgia

4 months ago

I have a friend that was recently hired at Amex for home based customer service. They are paying very well. But it took over6 months for a response. They installed her home phone and provided the computer for her to work on. I'm hopeful that I will receive an email or something in the coming months. I recently resubmitted an application with them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

shivadee@bellsouth.net in Jacksonville, Florida

2 months ago

Did you get a response for the position? Do you know the qualifiers for being selected for an interview after the test? @ reneadean@att.net

punkin_pie_head@yahoo.com in Springfield, Ohio

2 months ago

solo said: Can anybody give me an idea what the assessment test is like for at home Care Professional???

A frigging nightmare!!!

Stacey in West Palm Beach, Florida

27 days ago

Cnicki31 in Fairburn, Georgia said: I have submitted several applications with American Express, I would very much like opportunity working as an Home Agent for the company. I interviewed with the company about 1yr ago and thought the interview went well however was told company decided to go with someone else. I have 18 yrs. banking experience and feel that I am very much qualified for the job. I would like to know actually what this company is looking for to be considered for the job. Are there any recruiters that can pull my resume and review my status to give me some feedback.

How did you get past the online assessments?? If you could help me or give me any pointers I would really appreciate it. I would like to apply again.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.