Unprofessional Apple One

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

2009_40 in tucson

65 months ago

I contacted Apple One in Tucson recently about an office position.

I have been living in Europe for the past seven years - and am now returning to the USA.

I was told by Apple One in Tucson that I would not be considered for any type of employment because I do not have '6 months of recent work experience' - even though I have 24 years of professional work experience.

I contacted the head of Human Resources for Apple One. She never replied to me.

What happens when someone has been laid off and has been unemployed? Too bad for you, huh?

Here's the email I sent to the head of HR at Apple One.
______

I would AVOID APPLE ONE Employment agency at all costs. They are unprofessional.
______

Debbie Guzman, Director of Human Resources
Howroyd-Wright Employment Agency
dba AppleOne
327 West Broadway
Glendale, California 91204

Dear Ms. Guzman,

Your employees in Tucson, who informed me of AppleOne's policy regarding it is mandatory for qualified applicants to have recent experience within the last six months, must be following AppleOne's policies and procedures.
_________

I have found several job postings with this mandatory prerequisite from AppleOne:

Appleone Jobs In California From Odinjobs.com - Search For Appleone Jobs In California And Other Software Jobs At Odinjobs.com. ... in an office environment (recent experience within the last 6 months)

payroll Jobs in payroll Job Search. -AppleOne, San Diego, CA 92127. Sep 12, $14hr Administrative assistant bilingual a ... in an office environment (recent experience within the last 6 months

P/h jobs | MySpace Jobs - Appleone - Anaheim, CA. MUST have at least 3-4 years recent (within the last 6 months) experience
______

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Staffing Guru in Somewhere out there, California

64 months ago

What did you expect? Clients want recent experience. Huge gaps in employment gets you turned down almost immediately. SO, recruiters should waste your time when they know they can't help you? Yeah..that makes a lot of sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

2009_40 in tucson

64 months ago

I think you should move to a foreign country and live there for seven years, learn a new language, try to adjust to a new culture, then return to the United States seven years later - and see how that works for you.

This is what I did while I worked freelance projects.

There are no employment gaps. Just a seven year gap of living outside the USA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

2009_40 in tucson

64 months ago

I don't need the help of an employment agency. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

2009_40 in tucson

64 months ago

I've been very fortunate that some people see the glass half full.
Office Team has been exceptional, polite, professional, and friendly.

I have had several key companies view my background as being above ordinary in terms that I have had a unique opportunity to have different experiences.

Lucky me that I didn't pursue Apple One.

What happens to those people who have been laid off due to economic reasons and haven't been able to secure work in six months?

You'll find opportunities outside the box. Just open your mind to the possibilities. Look for positive people who are open-minded.

I have some good leads, and some very strong prospects.

Thank you Displaced Legal Professional in Denver for your comments.

P.S. I have been Freelance Writing for seven years, a dream come true for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

2009_40 in tucson said: I think you should move to a foreign country and live there for seven years, learn a new language, try to adjust to a new culture, then return to the United States seven years later - and see how that works for you.

This is what I did while I worked freelance projects.

There are no employment gaps. Just a seven year gap of living outside the USA.

If you had been working why didn't you articulate that in the interview? Put it on your resume? I would venture to guess had you been upfront and clear you might have had another reaction and experience.

Good job learning a new language and moving out of the country. It really has no bearing on your job search with a qualified recruiter. My point earlier was, people believe the staffing agencies as the "Bad Guys" and they kind of are in a way.

Client companies pay them to be a HUGE filter. The Client defines the prerequisites and the staffing agencies recruit based on that data. The cold hard truth is that if you don't fit those parameters it is a waste of time on all fronts to move forward.

Unfortunately everyone seems to have a sense of entitlement these days.....

I did however find you something helpful- www.linkedin.com/in/juliekwelch

That link will take you to a linkedin page of a person always looking for a good Writer.

Displaced, it is wonderful to see you are still skulking about here on these forums.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Typical cognitively-challenged headhunter baloney. I'll try to help you understand, "Guru." The OP was working on freelance projects. "Freelance" may mean not employed by a specific company, but it DOES NOT mean "unemployed," nor does it mean "not working." In other words, one can work freelance, though one may not be employed by a specific company(ies). Sort of like contract work, "Guru." See the difference, "Guru"?

Let me make it clear to you smarty..The OP never stated anything about being freelance. The only thing one could infer from the post was a recruiter told them they had no recent experience and then a question was posed about being laid off.

It wasn't until later posts that they made the point clear. I am always suspect when someone leaves out vital facts when trying to make a case about anything. Coming from the legal realm I am surprised you don't come to the same conclusion.

But, I forget that all you do here is run and spout you mouth off trying to insult anyone who can conjugate more then a couple of words.

Hope you finally found employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said:

1) I have a 129 IQ - probably higher than yours.

I guess I could make some unsolicited and unverifiable claim about my IQ but that would just be as stupid as when you do. You are probably right. Your IQ is probably higher. How does it feel that this moron does so well and you seem to be perpetually unemployed?

2) I am smart enough not to use the "services" your kind "provides" in a job search. Proof positive alone I am smart.

You say that like it isn't a good thing? You saying you won't use a service sounds more like a blessing to the service then some strange threat. I will always default back to my tired old argument "if you are a good candidate and what the client is looking for you love services". If you are not then you will not.

Now I am confused! I read a comment from only one poster. Now you are writing "they." "They" is the plural of "he," "she" or "it." So which is it, "Guru"? One poster, or more than one? You need to make yourself clear so others can understand your usual self-aggrandizing tripe. Don't you mean "suspicious," "Guru"? Now you're begging the question, "Guru." Come on, now! Continued, below.....

You are right..Dealing with candidates who cannot write a decent resume but feign intelligence has obviously effected my grammar. Can you ever forgive me? I mean I should by all means care about my grammar on this board right? My anonymity oh so safe behind this moniker.

Did you find a job yet? Or are you still just haunting this board badmouthing anyone that doesn't agree with you?

Thanks for the giggle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

2009_40 in tucson said:

P.S. I have been Freelance Writing for seven years, a dream come true for me.

Check out that linkedin link I dropped in that post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Now you try a straw man argument. Your grammar...and intelligence...are certainly "effected." Actually, correct English goes to credibility, "Guru." You are not to be believed if you can't "conjugate" your words correctly.

Again, on an anonymous forum full of whine bags you are SO correct. I should totally be concerned with my credibility. Noted..

You laugh alone, "Guru."

Alone? Probably not "Misplaced".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Let's see you address this point, "Guru."

Yeah. Let's say such individual could not find anything after seven months instead of six months. Not unusual, even in a good economy. Seven months is not a huge gap in unemployment, "Guru," but by your standards, such individual is unemployable. Or, what if that individual could not work for a time, "Guru"? What if that individual had been ill? Or had to leave a job to, e.g., take care of an ill family member?

You see, "Guru," such myopic, coneheaded opinions, such as the one you dished out, above:

....are among the reasons why jobseekers resent agencies. Never mind the rude treatment, condescending 'tudes like yours, broken promises and general unprofessional, inconsiderate treatment by you people. They'll likely get more consideration by applying directly to companies, and you know it.

easy.."services" are not "social services". I might empathize with someones issues but that doesn't make them qualified per my clients expectations. If a client demands that they have recent experience then that is just how it is. Blame the service. That is what they are there for. To take the blame and protect the anonymity of the client.

Apply on your own. You will be directed to meet with me and then I will "qualify" you..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Yeah. Let's say such individual could not find anything after seven months instead of six months. Not unusual, even in a good economy. Seven months is not a huge gap in unemployment, "Guru," but by your standards, such individual is unemployable. Or, what if that individual could not work for a time, "Guru"? What if that individual had been ill? Or had to leave a job to, e.g., take care of an ill family member?

All contingent on what the client is looking for and the expectations they have put forth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

2009_40 in tucson

64 months ago

April 18, 2009

Hello Staffing Guru of Apple One,

I've been reading the back and forth banter, and I am floored by your mean-spirited comments.

I won't comment on what I think of you .. because my Nana always used to say to me: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I can tell you that Apple One's Policy is that: No one is considered 'employable' if there is a six month gap of unemployment in a person's most recent work history.

See below - Apple One advertises exactly this policy in writing.

Appleone Jobs In California From Odinjobs.com - Search For Appleone Jobs In California And Other Software Jobs At Odinjobs.com. ... in an office environment (recent experience within the last 6 months). ...
www.odinjobs.com/Odin/jobs.jspx?l=California&c=AppleOne =
________

This being said, I think it's time for me to contact someone at the top of the heap at Apple One to let them know what kind of Staffing "Gurus", such as yourself, are representing Howroyd-Wright Employment Agency, dba Apple One.

Bernard Howroyd would be ashamed by the way his company is being represented by you.

Shame on you, Staffing Guru, for treating people like garbage!

P.S. My experience living overseas taught me many valuable lessons - and provided me with skills and attributes, which I will bring to my next job.

Greetings -

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

2009_40 in tucson

64 months ago

April 18, 2009 - 23:15

Hello Staffing Guru,

Yes, I did put my experience 'freelance writer' on my resume while living overseas. I am very upfront, honest and clear in my communications.

I find that many people, in general terms, view the world inside a box.

Learning a new language and adapting to a completely different culture does translate into skills. Perhaps you cannot understand this since you have never had this experience.

And this is where the job interview is so critical. It's the first impression you make when you walk through the door.

I am no longer working through the 'employment agency route' because I continue to meet people who view the world from inside their 2 x 2 inch box.

For those of you reading this forum, I am taking a new approach to my job search working from the inside out, targeting the companies that I find interesting instead of applying for jobs that are being posted. I am also contacting the people at the top of the companies - and I am not dealing with Human Resources whenever possible.

In closing, I try to treat people the way I want to be treated with dignity and respect. I strive to be just like my Great Danes, kind and gentle, intelligent and honest.

Don't give up on your job search and never give up on your dreams.

Greetings -

Staffing Guru in Somewhere out there, California said: If you had been working why didn't you articulate that in the interview? Put it on your resume? I would venture to guess had you been upfront and clear you might have had another reaction and experience.

Good job learning a new language and moving out of the country. It really has no bearing on your job search with a qualified recruiter. My point earlier was, people believe the staffing agencies as the "Bad Guys" and they kind of are in a way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

2009_40 in tucson said: April 18, 2009 - 23:15

Hello Staffing Guru,

Yes, I did put my experience 'freelance writer' on my resume while living overseas. I am very upfront, honest and clear in my communications.

I find that many people, in general terms, view the world inside a box.

Learning a new language and adapting to a completely different culture does translate into skills. Perhaps you cannot understand this since you have never had this experience.

And this is where the job interview is so critical. It's the first impression you make when you walk through the door.

I am no longer working through the 'employment agency route' because I continue to meet people who view the world from inside their 2 x 2 inch box.

For those of you reading this forum, I am taking a new approach to my job search working from the inside out, targeting the companies that I find interesting instead of applying for jobs that are being posted. I am also contacting the people at the top of the companies - and I am not dealing with Human Resources whenever possible.

In closing, I try to treat people the way I want to be treated with dignity and respect. I strive to be just like my Great Danes, kind and gentle, intelligent and honest.

Don't give up on your job search and never give up on your dreams.

Greetings -

did you contact that link?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

2009_40 in tucson said: April 18, 2009

Hello Staffing Guru of Apple One,

Big assumption but I will let you have it.

2009_40 in tucson said:
I've been reading the back and forth banter, and I am floored by your mean-spirited comments.

I won't comment on what I think of you .. because my Nana always used to say to me: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I can tell you that Apple One's Policy is that: No one is considered 'employable' if there is a six month gap of unemployment in a person's most recent work history.

Didn't you just say I work for AppleOne, so why would you tell me the policy? I will tell you this, it is the policy of 90% of the staffing agencies to except nothing less then what the client is asking for. Experience being one of those key factors.

If you have/had the experience you would be ushered in swiftly and submitted right away. If you don't then why waste anyone's time? If you have the experience and it isn't on your resume then why not put it there?

What you call "mean spirited" I call common senses

2009_40 in tucson said:
See below - Apple One advertises exactly this policy in writing.
in an office environment (recent experience within the last 6 months). ...

Unemployed for the last 6 months and they don't want someone..Shocker. But, I guess I am confused. Did you not say you had been employed? Then what was the issue? Based on your information and the policy you should have been able to easily explain your situation with no problem.

2009_40 in tucson said:
This being said, I think it's time for me to contact someone at the top of the heap at (AppleOne) to let them know what kind of Staffing "Gurus", such as yourself, are representing Howroyd-Wright Employment Agency, dba (AppleOne).

Seems they have the "policy" in place for a reason. Why would you think that this owner would not be aware of it and support it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Glendora, California

63 months ago

Staffing Guru in Somewhere out there, California said: What did you expect? Clients want recent experience. Huge gaps in employment gets you turned down almost immediately. SO, recruiters should waste your time when they know they can't help you? Yeah..that makes a lot of sense.

Hello "staffing guru" sorry but your statement is NOT TRUE AT ALL". I retired about 1 1/2 years ago and have been offered some jobs, great jobs, even though I have not worked since then. So your statement is not even near correct. They advertise jobs and use these excuses because all they want is to bring people in for quotas and promise you things and never call you,period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Glendora, California

63 months ago

2009_40 in tucson said: I contacted Apple One in Tucson recently about an office position.

I have been living in Europe for the past seven years - and am now returning to the USA.

I was told by Apple One in Tucson that I would not be considered for any type of employment because I do not have '6 months of recent work experience' - even though I have 24 years of professional work experience.

I contacted the head of Human Resources for Apple One. She never replied to me.

What happens when someone has been laid off and has been unemployed? Too bad for you, huh?

Here's the email I sent to the head of HR at Apple One.
______

I would AVOID APPLE ONE Employment agency at all costs. They are unprofessional.
______

Debbie Guzman, Director of Human Resources
Howroyd-Wright Employment Agency
dba AppleOne
327 West Broadway
Glendale, California 91204

Dear Ms. Guzman,

Your employees in Tucson, who informed me of AppleOne's policy regarding it is mandatory for qualified applicants to have recent experience within the last six months, must be following AppleOne's policies and procedures.
_________

I have found several job postings with this mandatory prerequisite from AppleOne:

Appleone Jobs In California From Odinjobs.com - Search For Appleone Jobs In California And Other Software Jobs At Odinjobs.com. ... in an office environment (recent experience within the last 6 months)

payroll Jobs in payroll Job Search. -AppleOne, San Diego, CA 92127. Sep 12, $14hr Administrative assistant bilingual a ... in an office environment (recent experience within the last 6 months

P/h jobs | MySpace Jobs - Appleone - Anaheim, CA. MUST have at least 3-4 years recent (within the last 6 months) experience
______

Hello Tuscon,
See what I replied to the " Guru", don't give up, these agencys are so up on meeting their quotas and posting jobs that aren't even available, and the same job keeps posting. His statement is not true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

2009_40 in tucson

63 months ago

Hello Anonymous in Glendora and Displaced Legal Professional in Denver,

I have been offered a J-O-B as a police dispatcher up in Tucson.
The pay is very good and the benefits are even better.

And for Staffing Guru, please read the TOS and Forum Rules.
www.indeed.com/tos.jsp

Users of the Forums must not post content or information that is unlawful, fraudulent, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene or otherwise objectionable or that contains sexual, ethnic or racial or other discriminating slurs, or material which contains no relevant or constructive content or which goes beyond profanity into obscenity or abhorrence.

This board is supposed to HELP other people, not put them down and make them feel like minions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Congratulations! Police dispatcher is a great job! I'm sure you obtained the job by applying directly to the P.D. Did the P.D. care that you did not have "six months of recent work experience"? "Guru" is certainly expert in posting such self-serving, defensive content. But what can you expect from someone, such as "Guru," who is in an indefensible position? Just consider the source, Tucson. Good luck with your new job.

yes, the source...2009_40. It is to bad you never contacted the person I gave you the link for. She was/is hiring for writers, editors, ect. You folks are to busy bad mouthing a service to see the point of a conversation. Good luck...

You don't seem to get past the point that the source is the companies that a staffing agency represents. They put into play the qualifications. The agency just follows the direction given to them.

Congratulations on the job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: You mean the agency SLAVISHLY follows the direction given to it.

/shrug I submit candidates on a daily basis that are just outside of what the client is looking for. Guess what? They turn them down wasting both my time and the candidates. Wouldn't you suggest that maybe, just maybe I save both the candidate and my time by going after what works?

With the current unemployment rate and influx of candidates who are "qualified" clients know they can get "more for less". It's a hard truth and like you mentioned I get paid by doing what you call "slavishly" following direction given to me. How long do you think I can keep a client if I don't give them what they want? Especially if they can go to a competitor and get exactly what they wanted tailored to them? So here is the result of what you ask: I no longer have that client nor those jobs. The people that I did get results for no longer have an avenue to explore. The people I didn't get results for are also hurt even further by this tact because ultimately if a client was to open a job that they are qualified for, well.....Guess what they aren't using me anymore so the said candidate is back to square one with another agency who if they follow your advice goes down the same road....

We force round pegs in square holes daily...unfortunately the typical result is the candidate falls off and we have just jeopardized a client in the process. Yeah, your right...that is some sound logic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

lol yes poor grammar..Thank you grammar police.

I do not need to convince anyone of the truth. Unfortunately your rose colored glasses are cracked. You apparently have been unemployed to long at this point. It is apparent that you are not in touch with the reality that is big business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York

21 months ago

Recruiters are not easy to deal with. Life be alot easier without the middleman.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christopher DeLaRue in Long Beach, California

21 months ago

AppleOne is just a paid service that is not necessary. They are not at all interested in supporting their "candidates". They hide job specifics from potential candidates as so to avoid direct hire opportunities between candidates and companies, which would in turn would save the company money but not pay for a service like Apple One in the end. They are not truely committed to employment services. They are only committed to making money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

21 months ago

anonymous in Glendora, California said: Hello Tuscon,
See what I replied to the " Guru", don't give up, these agencys are so up on meeting their quotas and posting jobs that aren't even available, and the same job keeps posting. His statement is not true.

Sick of these recruiters too. They are not needed in this economy and just muddy the waters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

21 months ago

Whenever the economy nosedives, these career gurus come out of the wall.

Life coaches
Career coaches
Recruiters
Job advisors
Staffing agents

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: Whenever the economy nosedives, these career gurus come out of the wall.

Life coaches
Career coaches
Recruiters
Job advisors
Staffing agents

So true! Good post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.