Aquent Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Aquent?

What do you like best about working at Aquent? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Zane in Stamford, Connecticut

116 months ago

Aquent is another Robert Half. They ask for refrences so they can use them to cold call, clients and new employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bon in Fairfield, Connecticut

116 months ago

Cold call people that dont even apply for jobs with them. What a surprise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave Winkleman in Birmingham, Michigan

115 months ago

Aquent is an organiztion that provides contract employees to firms, so you are actually an employee of Aquent, working at one of their clients.
Most of the recruiters, I use the word very loosely, are 25 year old females with little experience. I wasn't impressed when they called me in for a job they had.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Seattle in Seattle, Washington

115 months ago

The starting salary depends on the job and what the client will offer. This is not determined by Aquent. I have worked as a contract technical writer for 11 years with a variety of firms, and I was impressed with their bennies - payed holidays, matching 401K up to 5%, good healthcare plan, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Beth Kehl in Saint Louis, Missouri

114 months ago

I have 20 years experience and very good at what I do. Aquent as well as The Creative Group/Robert Half have never placed me on an assignment. I believe all they do is hold appointments and create a database to justify their positions and salary at the respective companies. I spent 2-3 hours at each company for portfolio review, interview and then a computer test to see if I could do what I said I could. Their computer crashed. Not very impressed with either organization.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiff in Royal Oak, Michigan

114 months ago

I received a job through them and was employed for 5 years because of them. They also got my friend a job. You have to keep in contact and show interest. I can't speak for other Aquent branches, but the one in Southfield, Michigan is very good. T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Santee, California

114 months ago

I can't speak for other Aquent offices, however, the people at the San Diego office have always been top-notch in my book. They've sent me on several assignments over the past six years, some lasting 5 months...and at a decent hourly rate to boot. Sometimes the jobs don't materialize, but then, that's life...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Royal Oak, Michigan

114 months ago

I have to agree with Tiff. I currently work for Aquent out of the Southfield branch. I have worked for them twice and left for other postions and they still took me back. I'm in a decent postion right now at a good wage. My two previous assignments lasted 4 years and 2 years. The staff (in Southfield anyway) are the best and they handle any benefit questions right away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hawkins in Saint Louis, Missouri

114 months ago

I also interviewed with this qroup in St. Louis. They wasted my time with testing on computers and looking through my book. The funny thing is that the "recruiters" don't have any design or marketing expertise, so how do they know what they are looking at. They hire young inexperience new college grads that look good in a suit and train them to BS the applicant that they will have work for them. I only went to them because I am in between jobs and was hoping to catch an assignment to fill in the gap until I find a real job. Don't waste your time with them or Office Team either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Osseo, Minnesota

114 months ago

Some 5 years ago, I worked for them. I had a bad experience with a supervisor at the job they placed me at. I worked hard there and what I got was, to get let go. I had called Aquent several times regarding this super and the last call was well, she asked you not to come back. Which was ok since I had another “real” job lined up.

I just recently went in and took a PhotoShop test. What a joke. Not even close to the real world and the way you would do the work. They tried to make me believe that this was the end all to find someone that knows this stuff. Like it was said. I wonder how much any of these recruiters know?

I have took the Quark test last summer. I have been working on Quark before some of the recruiters were out of high school. I would like to think I know something. Since 1988.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robin in Oshawa, Ontario

114 months ago

As with many other people, I had a bad experience with Aquent and their recruiter who didn't seem to know much about design or advertising, although this was about four years ago.

Comments on Aquent can be found in many forums where designers post, and while some seem to have good luck with them, many (most?) don't. Is it just luck? The same complaints are heard again and again - bad, unknowledgable recruiters and silly skills tests.

So it was in my case: it wasn't just about whether or not I got work which made me feel good or bad, but the recruiter's behaviour and ability, and the retarded skills test made me want to have nothing to do with them as soon as the initial meeting was over. They never contacted me again anyway.

It was curious to me (and my former employer, who was surprised that Aquent proved difficult and didn't/wouldn't find me work) that I had worked with and directed Aquent temps, and while they were good, they certainly weren't far-and-away genuis. What is the magic ingredient which gains one acceptance by Aquent? Is it luck? Is it tolerance for bulls***?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

em in Orland Park, Illinois

114 months ago

Beth Kehl said: I have 20 years experience and very good at what I do. Aquent as well as The Creative Group/Robert Half have never placed me on an assignment. I believe all they do is hold appointments and create a database to justify their positions and salary at the respective companies. I spent 2-3 hours at each company for portfolio review, interview and then a computer test to see if I could do what I said I could. Their computer crashed. Not very impressed with either organization.

i absolutely agree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

screwed in Somerville, Massachusetts

114 months ago

Aquent pressured me to take a job that I didn't want, and as it turns out, didn't exist. The agent really backed me into a corner until I agreed. The agent insisted I cancel all interviews I had scheduled so he'd know I was '100% committed" to the job. Because this was a major resume building opportunity I signed the contract (six months to perm). The office was 62 miles from my apt. (90 minutes in light traffic.)

Day one from the employer "We really don't have any work for you. Day two: "We really don't have any work for you." Day three;" We really don't have any work for you"
Day three evening -= Aquent calls to say "oh, there was no work for you.

The agent was a jerk - he refused to apologise for me and two weeks after the fact is "looking for a job for me."

This epsiode os psuedo-employment, put my unemployment on hold for 15 days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Good so far...Washington, DC in Washington, District of Columbia

113 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Aquent?
What do you like best about working at Aquent? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

The jobs have been good so far - the hourly is very decent above $25 per hour mostly...but I am not a designer. I am a marketing person. the Bennies are better than other places. A week bonus and vacation and holiday pay after a certain amount of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jaz in Southport, Connecticut

113 months ago

The people at Aquent are very weak when it comes to knowledge of creative all they want is to get anyone into the position so they can make a dollar...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

112 months ago

I applied to a similar job listing with Aquent. I had everything they were looking for and then some. Naturally, I get a response back saying I wasn't a good fit.

Given some of the negative things I have read about incompetent people working for Aquent, I sent an e-mail to the particular recruiter asking them what their area of expertise is in the field of marketing. Unbelievably enough, I didn't get a response back. :)

Being the curious individual I am, I decided to do a Google search on the person to see what I could find. I stumbled across her myspace page. Guess what she got her degree in? Marketing!? Nope. At least some other business degree!? Nope. The degree was in Music. She even listed all her work experiences, being a music teacher a year here and year there.....a real job hopper. In itself, that would be a red flag to a lot of recruiters.

She couldn't even spell the word "marketing" right on her page and yet this is someone who can decide who is good enough and who isn't to interview for marketing jobs!?

Job searching is great!! *sarcasm*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Garner, North Carolina

109 months ago

Bon in Fairfield, Connecticut said: Cold call people that dont even apply for jobs with them. What a surprise.

Every staffing firm does that. It's called direct recruiting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kal in Dallas, Texas

109 months ago

Aquent placed me with a CPG company here in the Dallas area and the company had massive lay-offs EIGHT days after I started (so they purged contractors too). Aquent knew about it BEFORE I went in too. I was upset because I had turned down other work believing I had a "long term" position with the company. The on-site manager never even returned my phone calls the entire time I was there either. THEY ARE HORRIBLE!

Oh, and Aquent has had the EXACT same position listed with that same CPG company for 7 months now and has twice refused to present my resume because I worked there before! WHAT??? I suppose they are too stupid to realize that my specialty skills don't grow on trees and that Dallas isn't exactly a hotbed for custom marketing researchers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HP in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

109 months ago

Aquent is a terrible organization. They did NOTHING during a 12 month period to help me find a job. The Aquent employees are very young and have zero experience in the real business world and nobody there has any marketing or writing or really any professional experience at all. I have 15 years experience, and Aquent couldn't figure out any jobs for me? Give me a break. They never called me or contacted me, I always had to contact them and ask what they were doing, which was nothing. Dealing with Aquent is a complete waste of time. No respectable employer deals with them, and nobody with a decent resume and legitimate experience should waste their time dealing with Aquent’s nonsense. Aquent was more of a hindrance than a help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SGR in Chicago, Illinois

103 months ago

I've been using creative staffing agencies for a year now, when I started freelancing. I use them as another tool to find work, and not as my sole job provider. I have had success with them. I have not yet gotten a paycheck from Aquent, but I have gotten some leads and some empty promises. I don't hold it against them. The tricks are:
1. Don’t believe anything they (staffing firms) tell you until you are in the door working at the place they told you to show up.
2. Always be looking for work even when you are on the assignment.
3. Don't stop looking for work even if they assign you a "sure thing".
4. If you've made a verbal commitment to them, you don't have to keep it. It’s a courtesy, but hey its dog eat dog out there. If you get a better gig, take it.
5. Keep calling and talking with them, annoy the crap out of them, make them know who you are and get you a job. Continue to call them even if you don't like them. You never know where your next great gig may come from.

The fact is, they have an inside to many companies that are hard to get inside. So who cares if you get rubbed the wrong way, or the recruiter you hooked up with isn't the best. Find another recruiter to talk to. And keep calling. Its you who needs the job.

This is what I do and I do pretty well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

muchadoaboutnothing in Chicago, Illinois

103 months ago

I ignored these postings, these warnings about Aquent and sent my resume to them ever hopeful. A colleague recommended the agency to me a while back. I used to have success working with staffing agencies but it's very, very different now. They basically deny you employment based on the silliest reasons even if your portfolio speaks loudly that you are more than qualified. It is demoralizing, patronizing and pathetic. I was turned down employment and this was for a short-term production job because my 10 years of experience was not enough even though the job description called for 2 years. Oh and yeah I scored high on their Quark test to which they made a dumb comment, "Oh, you scored high, (like we're surprised you could do that)." Talent never goes away! They are unprofessional and I wish I didn't waste my time there. Bad company, bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenn Vanelli in Valley Park, Missouri

90 months ago

I have to disagree completely!!! They found me an amazing job with great pay and the benefits are the best I have ever had at any company. Kudos to Lenore Hart and Shelly McMurray (not sure if they are still there) but they are were awesome to deal with!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mrlancer in Toronto, Ontario

87 months ago

I signed up with Aquent about 6 months ago, and have also had a bad experience with them.

I took their dumb test (which I passed) and waited about a month to get my first interview for a job. I showed up on time Monday morning and waited around for an hour, then the employer finally showed up (unshaved and dressed in a track suit) and told me no one from Aquent told him I was coming for an interview! Turns out my Aquent recruiter sent him an e-mail on Sunday, but she never confirmed that he had received it. Talk about unprofessional - annoyed both me and the client. I was told there would be work in the next couple weeks but never heard from either him or Aquent about it again.

A couple of months later Aquent got me a full time one year contract, which sounded great so I quit my current job to go there. After two months the contract got cancelled (along with other Aquent & Creative Group staff working there) so we were all scrambling to find something new. Aquent found me another 2 week gig, but nothing after that. That really sucked because if I had known I'd only be working for a couple of months I could have had gone back to my old job.

Over all it wasn't a total loss - I got a couple of big name clients to put on my resume, which helped me land a permanent job outside of Aquent. I think that's all I'd ever use them (or other agencies) for. If you sign up with Aquent, expect to work with really flaky, disorganized people. Also be ready for calls from Aquent asking "are you interested in this job... OK great, we'll let you know by the end of the day", only to never hear back from them.

Oh yeah, they also take about 50% of the fee the client is paying... so whatever your hourly rate is, multiply that by two and you'll know what Aquent is probably charging. My overall impression was Aquent was pimping me out. OK to get some experience, but would never rely on them for a career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

thatgirl in Tampa, Florida

66 months ago

I used their service for about 2 years. While in Atlanta they sent me all over the place on jobs I wasn't even a match for. The interviews were great but they people interviewing me looked very puzzled after asking questions about what I do and me basically saying no.

Fast forward a year to Orlando Florida where I contacted them again through a referral of a friend who was using them in Tampa. They sent me to HSN for a job interview and never told me it was a contract so when I got to HSN they looked very puzzled when I wasn't informed the job was not full time and they couldn't tell me how long the job would last. I drove 2.5 hours for this interview then about 6 weeks later out of desperation from leaving a hostile work environment I took the job and moved to Tampa.

HSN is awful to work for. After I gave my 2 week notice I got a call from Aquent saying not to return and not to speak to anyone at HSN. I got a call again the next dayfrom Mary at the Orlando office bullying me not to speak to any friends I had made at HSN and threatened to have me basically black listed from working in Tampa and that my reputation was ruined. Who does Aquent think they are? This is a free country last time I checked.

I would advise not to work for either companies mentioned, for good reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sickofAquent in Haymarket, Virginia

53 months ago

I worked for Aquent as a contractor for the last 5 years. I was on an assignment for the last 4 years that recently ended. During that time my original recruiter left after getting married, my next one left after filling herself into one of the design jobs that were open with Aquent. The company then in 2008 dropped the vacation and holiday pay for their talent and also stopped the 401k matching for the talent even though they were getting the same money from the contracts and clients the talent worked for. I got another recruiter who never contacted me, in fact I found out through their client, (my boss at the time), when I got my raises. That person was promoted and I got another recruiter who has been absolutely incompetent. She didn't return phone calls, had me on my old assignment 2 months after the assignment ended so I kept getting passed up for jobs, she didn't update my 4 year old profile until January when I submitted my updates in October when I knew that my assignment was to end in December. The ONLY time she returned my calls was after I called her boss to complain that I haven't heard from her. So this last time I got fed up, I had contacted my recruiter to inform her of my interest in several jobs that recently posted. I emailed and called several times, she never called. So again I called to complain and see about getting a new recruiter and so she finally called. I was in the bathroom and couldn't answer the phone so I called her back within 10 minutes of her call. She didn't answer, I left a message, she didn't return my call. I called Aquent's human resources department and told them of my troubles with their recruiter. Two days later I receive this email:
At this time Aquent has made the difficult business decision to part ways at this time and end our business relationship. We wish you the best of luck in your job search and in the future. Please contact me if you have any questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

HoustonTexas in Houston, Texas

49 months ago

em in Orland Park, Illinois said: i absolutely agree

Not true. I recently was placed in a great opportunity with a well-known oil & gas company. Maybe it's just your location, because James in Austin helped me tremendously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.