Over 40

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Paul from Cherry Hill New Jersey in Burlington, New Jersey

87 months ago

If you are 40 years old (or just look older) don't bother applying for a job at Aramark in Cherry Hill New Jersey. Sorry to say but age discrimination is alive and well in Cherry Hill. They will extend an interview to those qualified on paper but if slightly older they won't consider you for a job.

Also, the management personnel that gives the interview needs some training as the line of questioning is not pertinent to the job listing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chef DuJour in Orlando, Florida

84 months ago

Well. I'm 57 years old and in the second interview phase with ARAMARK on an Executive Chef position. I think you're right but I'd like to hear it from them firsthand. I expect to get the polite brushoff, in which case I won't really have a leg to stand on from an "age discrimination" standpoint. But let's say this: I'll come back to this forum once I get any news. They all want someone who is mature and seasoned, but young at the same time. Go figure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

over 40 in Greenville, North Carolina

73 months ago

You are not alone, seems they like young guys. Not experience. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jer-el in Richmond, Virginia

45 months ago

Chef DuJour in Orlando, Florida said: Well. I'm 57 years old and in the second interview phase with ARAMARK on an Executive Chef position. I think you're right but I'd like to hear it from them firsthand. I expect to get the polite brushoff, in which case I won't really have a leg to stand on from an "age discrimination" standpoint. But let's say this: I'll come back to this forum once I get any news. They all want someone who is mature and seasoned, but young at the same time. Go figure.

I am interested whether there are others who wouldn't mind sharing about possible age discrimination within Aramark. I would also like to why why you feel that you wouldn't "have a leg to stand from an age discrimination standpoint"? I feel that any type of discrimination is wrong and their are laws that are suppose to protect people. Have you given up, or, what is your status? Surely there are others who can come forward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AMP422@gmail.com in Wallingford, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

I have a friend who had 30 years with Aramark, and about 2 years ago they gave him his walking papers. All his performance evals. Were graded at a high level with meeting or exceeding expectations. The reason that was given to him was that they had to cut cost, but in turn hired 3 hrly people to do his job. Make a whole lotta sense paying workman’s comp and other benies on three people, training and oh yeah the accountability factor.

I also have over 20 years in the contract food industry(B&I, Convention and arenas) I was laid off 3 yrs ago from a small family owned business did my own thing for a while. This past year I looked for work and having several interviews with Aramark also no offers oh yeah I turned 53 this past October, I guess I also did not fit their MO 6ft 180lbs 25 -35 years old and no experience.

What part of the industry did you come from?
Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jerel in Richmond, Virginia

37 months ago

Jer-el in Richmond, Virginia said: I am interested whether there are others who wouldn't mind sharing about possible age discrimination within Aramark. I would also like to why why you feel that you wouldn't "have a leg to stand from an age discrimination standpoint"? I feel that any type of discrimination is wrong and their are laws that are suppose to protect people. Have you given up, or, what is your status? Surely there are others who can come forward.

Presently, I hear that age discrimination suits are not going well for the plaintiffs. If anyone has an exception(s), please share. It also appears that attorneys don't put to much stock in defending this audience. Besides this forum, is there anyone who could connect me with sources or testimonials of some who are winning the battles against age discrimination? It's a growing problem and demographics suggest that it's going to intensify as baby boomers are involuntarily sent to the pastures. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.