Employment with Aramark

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 68)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Don't Care to state in Madison, Alabama

93 months ago

My experience was horrible. The copmpany was extremely disorganized and unprepared for the account. Be careful not to be made a scapegoat for their inadequacies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Baaba in Chicago, Illinois

93 months ago

Aramark's hidden prejudices are not blatant, but as a non-white employee you feel the racism and you get framed up by one's own Manager. That's the sad story of it- by a person who is supposed to lead you to be successful and this person does it with glee. An employee would join Aramark with no blemish of work record, and the management would not hesistate to mar a non-white work record , not any fault of his/her own, without any conscience, especially,the Aramark's management team at University of Chicago. One White Manager, for example, used to raise horses. Now, he is a Manager-THANKS TO his bosom friend, who used to be an overall boss and this White Manager does not know anything about food management and does not have any business managing a crew of employees

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

sinarked in Sarasota, Florida

92 months ago

Don't Care to state said: My experience was horrible. The copmpany was extremely disorganized and unprepared for the account. Be careful not to be made a scapegoat for their inadequacies.

exatly right exactly right . i too found this company a difficult one to work with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

AHA in St Thomas, Virgin Islands, U.S.

92 months ago

Working for Aramark is horrible, I was not given a holiday off in two years! After finding out that I had to work yet another Christmas I asked for the first week off in Dec. to spend with my family, they couldn't even do that for me. I was planning on getting married the following May. Since I had so much time getting any time off for the holidays I though I would call corporate and tell them that I would need that time off for my wedding. They couldn't guarantee me tht time off so I gave my notice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hopeful in Hazel Green, Alabama

92 months ago

Don't Care to state said: My experience was horrible. The copmpany was extremely disorganized and unprepared for the account. Be careful not to be made a scapegoat for their inadequacies.

From one Dietitian to a former Aramark employee...thank you for your post. The fact of where you are located, I am sure I can pinpoint as to which Aramark facility you worked for. Thanks for the help! I was thinking about applying with Aramark, but now I am NOT so sure they are the company for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Peggy Hill in Bow, New Hampshire

92 months ago

I have worked at the arena, where Aramark is a vendor...rather they are THE food vendor.

If you think the company is bad - MAKE IT BETTER. My experience is that ALL employees were capable, and the product is consistent. In fact, some of the nicest people at the Verizon Wireless Arena were/are Aramark personnel. The arena staff, otoh, leaves something to be desired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Chicago, Illinois

92 months ago

You may work at an Arena where Aramark is the Vendor but, I do not believe that company is your direct employer.You do not know what the company is capable of doing, if you are not inside. This company will not allow you to change anything which is unfair. The company 's regular employees are competent but the management team is imcompetent and are scared to death if new manager proves to be competent and know what he/she is doing. They will gwt rid of you, especially if you are Black. This company is the most racist company I have ever come across.It is a company which hires close knit associates. No one knows its criteria of hiring new employees.But I can promise you that , even, if you have never stepped in a classroom before, do not know how to write and read, and knows the boss and you want to be a manager, that boss you know , will give you that management position on a platter with flowers surrounding it. THAT'S HOW THAT COMPANY OPERATES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Happy with ARAMARK in Houston, Texas

92 months ago

Hopeful said:
From one Dietitian to a former Aramark employee...thank you for your post. The fact of where you are located, I am sure I can pinpoint as to which Aramark facility you worked for. Thanks for the help! I was thinking about applying with Aramark, but now I am NOT so sure they are the company for me.
Don't let this one persons experience or lack there of, influence your decision on applying to ARAMARK. Preparation is the responsability of the manager not the company. I am currently an employee of ARAMARK and have been for many years. I have opened two new accounts with great success and unlimited support. ARAMARK's biggest asset is it's people. Don't let the bad experience of someone else deter you from joining a great team.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Bluegrasser in Wallburg, North Carolina

92 months ago

I have been with ARAMARK for over a year and a half now and LOVE working for them. They are anything but racist. My DM is a afro-american as are 2 out of 5 managers at my account. They have MANY MANY venues one can take if they feel they are being racially dicriminated against. They offer tons of training to help management grow with-in the company.
I have the feeling those who did not like working for Aramark where the ones who showed up "for" work ..... not "to" work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Lillington, North Carolina

92 months ago

Baaba said: Aramark's hidden prejudices are not blatant, but as a non-white employee you feel the racism and you get framed up by one's own Manager. That's the sad story of it- by a person who is supposed to lead you to be successful and this person does it with glee. An employee would join Aramark with no blemish of work record, and the management would not hesistate to mar a non-white work record , not any fault of his/her own, without any conscience, especially,the Aramark's management team at University of Chicago. One White Manager, for example, used to raise horses. Now, he is a Manager-THANKS TO his bosom friend, who used to be an overall boss and this White Manager does not know anything about food management and does not have any business managing a crew of employees

I have been working for 21 years in various jobs with various companies from entry level to mid-management. As a white male, I must say that what was described here happens to everyone, yes even to white males. I get so tired of working hard, doing what is right and then seeing the ones who brown-nose their way to the top or happen to be "buddies" with someone at the top. It is a fact of life and it happens to all people of all races. I have plenty of experiences just like the one described here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dan Quinn in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

90 months ago

Wake up Peggy, ARAMARK just wants to make money, they could care less about who they work for as long as they colect their fee's.

Peggy Hill said: I have worked at the arena, where Aramark is a vendor...rather they are THE food vendor.
If you think the company is bad - MAKE IT BETTER. My experience is that ALL employees were capable, and the product is consistent. In fact, some of the nicest people at the Verizon Wireless Arena were/are Aramark personnel. The arena staff, otoh, leaves something to be desired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

This is crazy in Dumfries, Virginia

90 months ago

Dan Quinn said: Wake up Peggy, ARAMARK just wants to make money, they could care less about who they work for as long as they colect their fee's.

"WOW" Everything you guy/gals mentioned above is going on also at Cintas, here in Northern VA. 2 out of 3 managers quit rescently at my branch. We don't have drivers for 6 out of 14 routes. total crazyness. They want us to ask our customers "are you very satisfied" but they won't ask their employess. "Forbs Magazine" a couple of months ago did a article on us. Touching briefly on alot of the lies we tell accounts, to trap them into signing with us.
Crazy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cheffield

90 months ago

Happy with ARAMARK said: Don't let this one persons experience or lack there of, influence your decision on applying to ARAMARK. Preparation is the responsability of the manager not the company. I am currently an employee of ARAMARK and have been for many years. I have opened two new accounts with great success and unlimited support. ARAMARK's biggest asset is it's people. Don't let the bad experience of someone else deter you from joining a great team.
B.S

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Teleanalyst in Audubon, New Jersey

89 months ago

If you could give me a way to get "in" with the company, I would be most appreciative. I have undergraduate degrees in Culinary Arts & Foodservice Management. I have been out of the "food" business for a number of years, but have been very successful in other business areas. I have been attempting to get a sales position with Aramark and have had no interview to date. My C.V. was sent to the correct division, after interviewing with another division, but, to date, NOTHING! I live about 4 miles from the ARAMARK corporate headquarters. I do hear wonderful things about the company, despite the comments on this forum, so I would be excited about working for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

H. Chowdhury in Toronto, Ontario

89 months ago

I have worked six years for Aramark Canada. I faced serious discrimination from the General Managers and DMs in the first couple of years but I made my way up the following years. The VPs and up have no system in place about talent development from within or probably they don't care about it. I find Sodexho a great diversified company to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Christiansburg, Virginia

89 months ago

I worked for aramark at a call center, very disorganized, trainers don't know what they are doing. my training was supposed to be M-F, 8-4:30. no one showed up till 9, made me leave around 3 everyday, and half of the day my trainers weren't around to help me through any of the bookwork. they just sat me down in front of the computer with a manual, and told me to practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Adrian in San Clemente, California

89 months ago

Wow. I worked for Aramnak for 3 years as a Catering Director without any training what so ever. No one bothered with me, and did all the paperwork higher up. I was simply a figure head, and not a good one. Stand there, get yanked around, so on and so on.

Aramark is the most unorganized company I've ever seen. SAles at our unit were 700k. Now that Sodexo's taken ove, two years later, the sales are over 1.6.m.
All due to better quality food, better communication, better everything. And a trained Catering Director, I'm sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tonya in Corvallis, Oregon

89 months ago

I was flown from Oklahoma to California for an interview with Aramark. After a 8 hour trip I was put through another 4 hours of testing, then early the next day through another 2 hours of interviews and then flown back to Oklahoma, only to be told 2 days later that the job was given to an internal candidate. It had to be the most grueling process I have ever endured. Never again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chowdhury in Toronto, Ontario

88 months ago

Aramark doesn't practice what they preach in Canada. It will be too late for not knowing how to nurture DIVERESITY while spending about $3-5 million to incorporate "Good to Great" concept from grassroots level. Aramark need to monitor DMs' performance more closely with accountability rather than riding merely on blind belief that DMs are doing a great job. If I were the President of Aramark, I would have placed them under surveillance because the sole reason for losing a client is for DMs not following up with FSDs' on site concerns right away. This may be the recipe for success for Aramark as the competition is getting stiff. Again it is the PEOPLE not the Company where PEOPLE means those DMS, VPS who takes thing for granted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anon

88 months ago

This company is terrible. The District Managers dont do their job. Their new "system" is out to screw the customer. You can not write credits (uniforms) and you have no power. What Aramark told me they didnt want (Delivery boys) is exactly what they are turning us into. We have no power with our customers and they have completely lost faith in us. They wont hire enough people so that when people need their EARNED time off they can not get it (or they have to work a double to get their EARNED day off). Not only that they make you unload and load your truck plus give you a ton of paperwork (that is completely unnecessary) AND make you sell on your route as well. What is the point of having a sales team if they want us to go out and run a route keep our customers happy PLUS have to go and seek new business? Other uniform companies I have worked for were much better. Aramark ties your hand and makes the route people scrape goates. They are losing customers daily and they dont care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

former employee in Lebanon, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Baaba in Chicago, Illinois said: Aramark's hidden prejudices are not blatant, but as a non-white employee you feel the racism and you get framed up by one's own Manager. That's the sad story of it- by a person who is supposed to lead you to be successful and this person does it with glee. An employee would join Aramark with no blemish of work record, and the management would not hesistate to mar a non-white work record , not any fault of his/her own, without any conscience, especially,the Aramark's management team at University of Chicago. One White Manager, for example, used to raise horses. Now, he is a Manager-THANKS TO his bosom friend, who used to be an overall boss and this White Manager does not know anything about food management and does not have any business managing a crew of employees

I think this depends strickly on the manager or you gave them a reason. Aramark has a history of overlooking more qualified whites to fill their quota of non-whites. I've been told straight forward that I am the wrong color and sex. Don't tell me about discrimination brother.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous

88 months ago

I dont agree that Aramark discriminates by race as a rule. Of course just as in society, you are going to have instances of prejudice and racial tension. Aramark in my observation is a pinball wizard that is constantly shaking the table between the unions, minorities,unlimited partners, and management of many ethnic origins. The individual is a non issue for Aramark. "Just make sure everyone is happy and the payments arrive as forecasted." Fortunately they don't have to worry about the shareholders anymore so maybe things will improve for the many souls that are still employed with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

university of houston employee in Sugar Land, Texas

87 months ago

aramark was univ of houston's food service for a long time till UH finally had enough and got rid of them. they got chartwells, but chartwells proved to be more horrible, and so aramark came back after a couple of years.

my experience with aramark has been horrible. I have tried to reconcile my complaints with the Manager but he seems to not have any power to do anything, or he is unwilling to do so. I also talked to the Human Resources Manager and was told repeatedly in the conversation that employment with aramark is an 'at will employment' stating further that "if you're not happy with your job, you should know that its an 'at will employment'" basically telling me to quit rather than resolve my complaints.

when a HR Manager says that to you, what does that say about the ocmpany as a whole? I also believe that the structure of the company is racist. Most Assistant managers are minorities but the heads of divisions are all white. This is in Houston, home to a very diverse population, and the University of Houston is known for being home to a very diverse student body.

What's interesting is that Aramark has written policies that they hand out, but none are specific. All are broad strokes, and non relate to your actual work experience. For example, there is no information on what aramark considers full time or part time. there is no WRITTEN information about an employee's rights or protections. I take that back, there is a clause that says if you report something , you cannot be retaliated against.

Furthermore, I have found that Aramark's policy is not to solve problems. There is also a lack of respect for employees.

another thing that i noticed was that aramark's policies while keeping the managers white and the assistant managers black/hispanic it keeps the employee's predominantly black.

and from what i gathered it treats student workers as slaves. from what the HR manager told me, student workers are NOT eligible to receive a RAISE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

smeds in Matawan, New Jersey

87 months ago

I was recently a X-chef at a nj unit. I was there for about a year.The staff was there for 12-20+ years and did the same bad work ethics now, as they did 20 years ago with no intent to change and follow new policies and procedures which aramark is now requiring(OPX).I tried to re-organize/teach(OPX)to the team, to learn more, and perform better,while aramark DM's and VP of operations telling me to inforce the OPX program.Once I started to try to make OPX changes the staff became very defiant and complained to the client stating I was too tough on them.The client in turn told me to stop picking on them. Meanwhile I did not make these rules/procedures. Aramark did! So I was getting from the top and getting it from the bottom. Typical middle management position I guess. I became very sickened and frustrated with no outlet. Now I am warning future culinary people about the unfair and dishonest practices of ARAMARK.Your health is not worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Senior Citizen in Smiths Station, Alabama

87 months ago

Current Applicant said: I am a very qualified African American who has wanted to work for Aramark for sometime. For the last ten years I have been a consultant and would like to return to the corporate environment. I am interested in Aramark's Philadelphia Office. I have even attended affairs in the building just to get a feel for the environment. At this stage of life, I am a professional and want to be treated and respected as a professional. The comments I read here give me pause. Has anyone had good or bad experience with the Philadelphia office?

It's been a few years, but I was once acquainted with a fellow who is now an executive VP at Aramark in Philly and I can tell you he is an extremely fine individual. There is not a unkind bone in his body and he wouldn't have taken the position if the company was as bad as some here report. Google "Ravi Saligram."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Current Applicant

86 months ago

Thanks, Sr. Citizen in Smiths Station, Alabama. It was kind of you to respond and I did google him. Mr. Saligram is certainly a qualified professional. There are probably very few people with such international experience externally or internally. I am happy for him especially since you say he is a decent
person also.

My question still is, are there any African Americans in leadership roles in Philadelphia----anyone? I would hate to pursue/join an organization which did not value my talents at this stage of the game, or where the office climate was less than professional. I've had a great career so far and enjoy my work.

Thanks again. You are special----the kind of person I would have liked to work with. Hope you are enjoying your life in Alabama. Have a nice day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AJM in PA in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

I work for Aramark at my school in PA and perhaps it's different in Texas, but up here, the student employees are eligible for a raise if they return the following September. I got hired in September 2005 at $6.25/hour, then got a raise in fall 2006 with $6.50 an hour. I'm going back again this year and will probably get another raise.

Yes, we get small raises, than it's better than when I worked at a bowling alley for a year and a half and made $5.40/an hour (back when minimum wage in PA was still $5.15) and never saw a raise!

Yes my hours can be tough. I've worked five days a week sometimes but this semester, I still saw a GPA of almost 3.4. Last spring, I had about a 3.3 and saw a 3.1 my first semester there. Sometimes our student workers are just lazy and don't want to apply themselves and work so they use "grades" as an excuse to quit, thus leaving the rest of us to pick up their slack!

Lastly, when I had problems with a boss who was bullying me, I took evidence (in writing) of my problem to the manager higher than her and my problem was solved. No the boss didn't lose her job but she sure changed her behavior towards me and now we get along fine.

I've had some tough times at ARAMARK, but I guess retention depends on who can really fight past the difficult times and stay there. You're going to complain no matter where you work and in a company like this, some branches are worse than others. It could be worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AJM in PA in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

AJM in PA in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania said: I work for Aramark at my school in PA and perhaps it's different in Texas, but up here, the student employees are eligible for a raise if they return the following September. I got hired in September 2005 at $6.25/hour, then got a raise in fall 2006 with $6.50 an hour. I'm going back again this year and will probably get another raise.

Yes, we get small raises, than it's better than when I worked at a bowling alley for a year and a half and made $5.40/an hour (back when minimum wage in PA was still $5.15) and never saw a raise!

Yes my hours can be tough. I've worked five days a week sometimes but this semester, I still saw a GPA of almost 3.4. Last spring, I had about a 3.3 and saw a 3.1 my first semester there. Sometimes our student workers are just lazy and don't want to apply themselves and work so they use "grades" as an excuse to quit, thus leaving the rest of us to pick up their slack!

Lastly, when I had problems with a boss who was bullying me, I took evidence (in writing) of my problem to the manager higher than her and my problem was solved. No the boss didn't lose her job but she sure changed her behavior towards me and now we get along fine.

I've had some tough times at ARAMARK, but I guess retention depends on who can really fight past the difficult times and stay there. You're going to complain no matter where you work and in a company like this, some branches are worse than others. It could be worse.

Can we not edit posts on here? I want to change the way I said a thing or two.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

deidre in Havertown, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

Current Applicant said: I am a very qualified African American who has wanted to work for Aramark for sometime. For the last ten years I have been a consultant and would like to return to the corporate environment. I am interested in Aramark's Philadelphia Office. I have even attended affairs in the building just to get a feel for the environment. At this stage of life, I am a professional and want to be treated and respected as a professional. The comments I read here give me pause. Has anyone had good or bad experience with the Philadelphia office?

Yes indeed.. It's not called the "Tower of Power" for nothing. A few really big ego (all male) run the place. ARAMARK is very situational, meaning you could find youself in a good or bad working situation depending upon who you are working for and who THEY work for. In my experience there many of the senior management is way too young to be in the positions that they are in creating an overall lack of organizational direction. It is singularly THE most disorganized company I have ever worked for and I;ve worked for some biggies. I did see some racial discrimination but also saw some high-level African Americans who were well respected. So it depends if you want to take your chances. You won't really know until you are in it . . and then may have to get out quickly. If you want to travel till you drop dead, redo projects over and over again only to have them go away completely, have little impact in a group then this would be right for you .. but who wants that. These Forbes articles that say it is one of the best places to work are a complete joke. Take the advice of the majority here. . there are always those that drink the lemonade.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

deidre in Havertown, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

Senior Citizen in Smiths Station, Alabama said: It's been a few years, but I was once acquainted with a fellow who is now an executive VP at Aramark in Philly and I can tell you he is an extremely fine individual. There is not a unkind bone in his body and he wouldn't have taken the position if the company was as bad as some here report. Google "Ravi Saligram."

I would agree . .I worked a while ago there and only wished I could have worked for Ravi. He is indeed a very fine man. .knowledgable, respectful, and has a sense of humor. However, and very unfortunatley there need to a LOT more like Ravi in a companyof this sixe to make this a good employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

off-shore in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

I worked for Aramark Offshore, Houston TX...They are the most unorganized, misinformed group of managers i have ever worked under. Not once in 12 months did a manager visit my rig. They instead, called the shots from the office without understanding anything. The rules of play continued to change on a monthly basis. Aramark was NOT LIKED by most all my rigs located in the gulf of mexico. They are frowned upon by Corporate Company Reps and Service men through out. Since no longer working for Aramark Offshore, i have been offered to head up a new division with catering for the drilling company. Finally, the contract is coming to an end, and the client is getting what they beg for: Quality Service and Great Food!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Current Applicant

86 months ago

Wow, Offshore.
That's sad. For those of us who don't know----they've got a good image.
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

I've got a 2nd interview with another company next week. Maybe, I stop hoping for Aramark.

Take care. Enjoy your job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Current ARAMARK employee... in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

I work at the ARAMARK Tower in Philadelphia, and although no company is perfect, I have found that ARAMARK is one of the BEST to work at. I have worked for other large and small organizations, and know from top down that ARAMARK has the best intentions for its people, the community, and its clients. (Anyway, who runs a company that isn't looking to be successful financially???) The comapny IS going in the right direction.

Everyone needs to remember: there are MANY different divisions in ARAMARK and many different management styles. Everyone's experience is different and some might not be right for the company...

From someone inside now, I find it hard to believe everything I just read. There are high level managers, VPs in fact, that are diverse. 3 examples: the top HR people are diverse (one is a woman and the other African American) the Diversity VP is diverse (African American), and the College Relations VP is diverse (African American) as well.

I am sure you can research all of this on the company website: www.aramark.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

WILLIAM SMYRE in Newark, New Jersey

85 months ago

WOULD LIKE A POSITION AT YOUR NEWARK COMPANY ON FRELINGHUYSEN AVE. A UNIFORM COOMPANY.THANK YOU! EMAIL wsmyre@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

40+ and Female discrimination in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

No question at all. 40+ and Female and Pregnancy discrimination in Sales - Management - Distribution jobs.

Also, just try to find a non-white - non-male. The international people they employ are also of caucasian appearance and male.

40+ and Female discrimination in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

Remember ARAMARK has several divisions.

These people at these different divisions don't know each other. Even the Managers don't know the people at other divisions.

This place is a nightmare in many locations. Watch out for Dallas & Orlando & Memphis to name a few.

deidre in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Current ARAMARK employee... in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I work at the ARAMARK Tower in Philadelphia, and although no company is perfect, I have found that ARAMARK is one of the BEST to work at. I have worked for other large and small organizations, and know from top down that ARAMARK has the best intentions for its people, the community, and its clients. (Anyway, who runs a company that isn't looking to be successful financially???) The comapny IS going in the right direction.

Everyone needs to remember: there are MANY different divisions in ARAMARK and many different management styles. Everyone's experience is different and some might not be right for the company...

From someone inside now, I find it hard to believe everything I just read. There are high level managers, VPs in fact, that are diverse. 3 examples: the top HR people are diverse (one is a woman and the other African American) the Diversity VP is diverse (African American), and the College Relations VP is diverse (African American) as well.

I am sure you can research all of this on the company website: www.aramark.com

You must be in HR. You really only mention HR people as proof of diversity.
This is the most pablum pushing response on this entire board so my bet is you're an HR wonk. Yes, there are many divisons but there is ONE senior management. There is ONE woman at that level among a host of male egos. Oh and ironically she's the head of what else.. HR!!! Who are you kidding. Oh and from the tennor of your naive response you must also be twelve.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

cheryl

85 months ago

Aramark is a joke. They lie, steal, and do anything they can with companies, promising them the world and then deliver hell!
They are the worst company in the US to work for. They pay people off, and I know this for a fact. I work for Aramark in Philadelphia right now.

I cannot wait to get out of this company and will do so very soon. I lasted 4 months until I saw all the BS they give out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Oliver Delgaddo

84 months ago

I love Aramark. I have kissed everyones ass that I work for and it is cool because Im only as tall as their asses.

I have been linked with Richey Ulmer, Joey Otto, and Angel Ramirez as sexual partners, but I dont care, I get raises and dont do anything

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

Last summer, I worked for Aramark at their hotel in Denali Park AK. It was a complete nightmare. Due to the remote location, they had to provide housing. What a joke. There was not enough of it and employees had to bunk with up to three or four other people in rooms barely large enough for two people. It felt like a forced labor camp. The food was inedible, the hours extremely long and the management were bullies. The employee facilities were filthy, hot water was a luxury, as was getting paid on time and in the correct amount. Aramark is a master at short changing employees. It took me over six months to finally get the back pay I was owed.

Norwalk Virus ran rampant, which was brought up by tourists from Anchorage who contracted it on cruise ships. The virus is highly contagious and employees who fell ill were treated as criminals and overcourse did not get paid.

Aramark recruits hundreds of college age kids from Eastern European countries, like Bulgaria, for seasonal work. Aramark exploits these kids. They are lied to by recruiting agencies in their home countries about the opportunities to make some money for college working for Aramark. It costs several thousand dollars to get to the US, which is fronted by the recruiting company at a high interest rate. The kids must pay down the loan before they make any money to call their own. A lot of them go back home at the end of the season in debt because Aramark charges them for room and board and rigs the work schedules so it's hard to make any significant overtime, which in AK is time and a half.

It was an eye opener for me seeing the dark underbelly of the hospitality industry. Shame on Aramark.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Current Applicant #2 in Reynoldsburg, Ohio

84 months ago

I am a very qualified African-American who is currently interviewing for a marketing position with ARAMARK and will have my 3rd interview this week. I have several years experience working in this industry, but most of it has been on the advertising side. I have experienced plenty of problems over the past few years in the agency world - including working with many lazy and incompetent people in upper management and experiencing racial harrassment. So far, my interviewing process has gone very well and I'm looking forward to hopefully being employed with ARAMARK.

For the past 5 years, I have been either the only Afr-Am employee or one of LESS THAN 5 with my current and past employers. I have recently decided to apply with companies that take pride in diversity. I can relate with a number of these stories, but I know that no compant is perfect. I believe that every person has different experiences in their work roles.

If I can give any advice, I will tell you all that it's always best to document ALL of your work (so you have a leg to stand on when someone is trying to "frame" you), report any racial harrassment or discrimination (I've had to do this twice so far in my career), and take any situations that are not addressed by your supervisor, their supervisor and/or HR to your local EEOC office.

If there are any ARAMARK employees who would like to share their positive experiences, I certainly welcome a response. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Oliver Delgaddo

84 months ago

Im a manager for Aramark. We blame anyone and anything we can on whoever we need to to stay out of trouble and not lose our jobs. I dont care if you are black, white or brown....you did it if it comes down to me and you.

I have a BF named Richey Ulmer at this company, and me and he are never wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

R benoit in Sulphur, Louisiana

84 months ago

I have read many of the comments sent in by the Aramark employees, I find them to be very disturbing. Employees are you biggest asset and they should be treated with the upmost respect and they should be complimented often for jobs well done. Employees will help keep your contract or help lose it, seems there is a lack of motivation from the managers. I have been in the healthcare business for nearly five years as an EVS Director. I have taken over two hospitals in the EVS departments and made huge changes, for the better. EMPLOYEE SATISFACTION AND PATIENT SATISFACTION have been the biggest results. I mention this because I was considering applying with Aramark for an EVS Director's position in another state but I'm not wuite sure that I want to do this after reading all of the negativty on the web site not to mention it's hars to get in contact with someone to speak to about a current opening. I will monitor this closely and make my decision based on my findings.

Employee in King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

All I can say is don't believe all you read.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

smeds in Matawan, New Jersey

84 months ago

All I can say is BELEIVE all you read because it's true..I lived it for 12 years..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

H. Chowdhury in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

I stongly disagree with anyone blaming Aramark for their bad experiences. I have worked for them for 6 years as a Food Service Director in Canada. What I must agree with is that the upper management like VPs, DMs do not -a). have heart for Aramark which gave them position, salary and bonuses virtualy enjoying a better life because of Aramark as a great company provided them job but they show selfishness all along b). care to listen to FSDs concerns or they don't have time to spend with FSDs and the Clients to help grow or retain business. I knew one thing for fact is that at one point in 2003, the President and CEO came down to Toronto and terminated the Canadian president and instructed to report all financial activities directly to the US. I wish he gets down to those remaining DMs and Vps in Canada who are just good for nothing, prejudice and barely works 6 hours a day. Anyone disputing this can contact me. I am now working for SODEXHO as a senior FSD and I can tell you its not about the company its about the people you work with. My DM and VP worth million dollars camparing those in Canadian Aramark. The management structure is diverse in Sodexho and I can guarentee you that no one will ever looked down upon in SODEXHO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

katrine in dallas, Texas

84 months ago

This company does not tell me from one day to the next if I will have off or not....or which location I will be working. It changes within minutes. There is little training, supervisors are allowed to treat you badly and I do mean harrassment....and there is nothing you can do about it either. I wish I had known. There is little organazation and if you happen to run out of supplies which are basic such as condiments durring the lunch/dinner time they do not care that guests are mad and screaming/complaining to you! They will ask you if you'd like to be a supervisor/manager take you to the new location, even though you haven't even signed for a transfer and who ever happens to be at the new location supervisor/manager is always surprized as they aren't even informed of what your there for.....most disorganized company ever!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anon74 in Montclair, New Jersey

84 months ago

I worked for ARAMARK Headquarters in Philadelphia a few years ago. I don't understand why it continues to make the list of best places for African Americans to work. I experienced "hidden" prejudices and not so blatant as well. It was the first time (no time since) that someone (my manager's manager) called me the n-word to my face.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

mary sue cosmo in chicago, Illinois

83 months ago

Aramark chose to be a greedy corporation...........question, does anyone in that corporation know this life counts........no, figures, they are the walking dead.......self interest, mentally ill who care only about themselves and the mighty dollar.......which is a piece of paper. Seeing that the earth is rapidly changing, the light will knock them off their feet and poof, gone.......there is no room for crazy people ............ like Bush, he is collectively sick mentally..........there are many around...and they have people around them who support them, yes men. They pay them big salaries and carrots..............and work them 70+ hours a week........they are hooked and addicted to the praise (low self esteem and victims in their own right), money and cannot stop.............it is vicious and they dish out whatever Aramark tells them...for fear of losing their job and $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to pay for all their material goods they aren't around to even use. What a earthly mundane joke for the stupid. How do these walking dead sleep at night........oh, they are addictors...........whatever it takes, guaranteed. Man oh man, it is comical..........how stupid are. Wonder why there are wars, because wars are right inside people.............anger, hate, racism, greed, bigotry............war! Is that life? Make choices...there is free will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

White Demon in Crawford, Texas

80 months ago

As a white demon, I do not appreciate your generalizations about me. Did you know I like playing foosball? I have never owned a plantation -- just a small patch of what you appear to be smoking. My guess, is that you were fired because you were a tool. Burn in hell? That is not very polite or original Sir.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.