Want to work at Ashford? Find out the truth...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Jon Voit in Temecula, California

69 months ago

I was recruited into Ashford and found it to be the most unbearable work environment I have ever experienced. If you are desperate for a job, go work at Ashford. If you have other opportunities, I suggest you take them.

Here is exactly what to expect working at Ashford:

1- NO MONEY - Extremely low starting salary, with the added hype of potential income increase (up to 100k+ is what they will boast, however if you reach anywhere near that they force you into management so you take a huge pay cut, much like an education based network marketing scheme).

2- Hype - The company thrives off of the hype that they are the best company to work for. College Student Friday's where the CEO of the company gets on a microphone while you are drinking a beer and eating food and tells you what a great job you are doing.

3- Lack of Human Resources - After being repeatedly berated and insulted by our manager, Human Resources found it better to tell us NOT to report any issues to HR but to take it to the director. The director's there are former enrollment advisors (telemarketers) who get promoted quicker than their resume should allow for. (Reference to marketing scheme)

4- Micro-managed and Negative - If you are worried about being punished for returning one minute late from a lunch, this is not the place for you. You may be graced with a manager who will insist on holding meetings three times a day to remind you how horrible you are doing. Very negative atmosphere.

5 - Benefits - Those are pretty decent, however if you are becoming an enrollment advisor, rest assured that free tuition is not common and is not given out unless you are in the top 1-10% of the company. Do NOT be deceived!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

barko in Yorba Linda, California

68 months ago

Jon,
What was your role @ Ashford, and have you worked for any other for-profit schools before or since?
Thx!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

things that make ya go hmmmm in San Diego, California

63 months ago

Jon Voit in Temecula, California said: I was recruited into Ashford and found it to be the most unbearable work environment I have ever experienced. If you are desperate for a job, go work at Ashford. If you have other opportunities, I suggest you take them.

1- NO MONEY - Extremely low starting salary, with the added hype of potential income increase (up to 100k+ is what they will boast, however if you reach anywhere near that they force you into management so you take a huge pay cut, much like an education based network marketing scheme).

2- Hype - The company thrives off of the hype that they are the best company to work for. College Student Friday's where the CEO of the company gets on a microphone while you are drinking a beer and eating food and tells you what a great job you are doing.

3- Lack of Human Resources - After being repeatedly berated and insulted by our manager, Human Resources found it better to tell us NOT to report any issues to HR but to take it to the director. The director's there are former enrollment advisors (telemarketers) who get promoted quicker than their resume should allow for. (Reference to marketing scheme)

4- Micro-managed and Negative - If you are worried about being punished for returning one minute late from a lunch, this is not the place for you. You may be graced with a manager who will insist on holding meetings three times a day to remind you how horrible you are doing. Very negative atmosphere.

5 - Benefits - Those are pretty decent, however if you are becoming an enrollment advisor, rest assured that free tuition is not common and is not given out unless you are in the top 1-10% of the company. Do NOT be deceived!

WOW... sounds like a very disgruntled worker. so sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in El Cajon, California

53 months ago

Would like to speak with you, Jon. I got an offer to work for them, want your input, thanks, do you have a ph no where I can reach you?
thanks,
Mark

Jon Voit in Temecula, California said: I was recruited into Ashford and found it to be the most unbearable work environment I have ever experienced. If you are desperate for a job, go work at Ashford. If you have other opportunities, I suggest you take them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymously in Aurora, Colorado

21 months ago

Jon is correct with his assessments. He is not a disgruntled employee! Make no mistake that you are working in a call center as a telemarketer. If that is not bad enough, the micro-management reminds you everyday that you are not capable of wiping your own butt. You and the students that you are enrolling are only numbers to upper management. YOU DO NOT MATTER! They prey on the fact that the job market is not good. Therefore, they can get away with treating their employees as a child with a learning disability and the students as their next cash cows. They exploit the Title IV funding from POOR students to line their pockets. Their employees are pressured to do whatever it takes (including lying)to get them enrolled just long enough (through the first class). Right now, they are in the process of a new training technic which includes psychological coaching of their employees to twist the minds of future students into "realizing on their own" that they have to enroll for school. There have been and are presently, investigations into Ashford University.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AshfordTerminatingPeople in Aurora, Colorado

16 months ago

Currently, the Denver call center is firing AC's & writing ppl up to set them up to fire them.

They are trying to avoid bad press of "a mass layoff" so they are letting ppl go in small increments to make the firings look isolated. So far roughly 10 AC's have been fired.

They are trying to avoid having to pay unemployment by firing people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AshfordTerminatingPeople in Aurora, Colorado

16 months ago

Call the Attorney General in Iowa. There are investigators looking into the predatory recruiting practices. Investigator Richard Heathcoate is working on the Ashford case--he definitely wants everybody's feedback.

Richard C. Heathcote Investigator, Consumer Protection Division
Email: rheathc@ag.state.ia.us

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.