BAE black-lists people that turn down their offers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

happy gilmore in fairfax, Virginia

66 months ago

I'm writing this just to warn others that when they offer you a job, they expect you to take it. If you don't accept it, they'll never reconsider you for another job in the future.

I interviewed with BAE early this year for an image analyst job in DC. They offered me a job for the same amount of money that I make now and I would be working rotating shift work with BAE, which I've never done and have heard it's awful. My boss where I worked at the time happened to promise me it would get exciting since we're starting a new division and I'd do meaningful work and how they'd need my expertise, blah blah blah. So rather than starting over again, I decided to stay and take a chance to stay with the current ocmpany. I have my own office where I am and I'm sure I'd be crammed into a room with 20 people and no privacy with BAE anyway. Besides, it would be for the same amount I was making at the time with rotating shifts? Ugh. My sleep is bad as it is. I had to humbly turn down the job offer with them.

Eventually I ended up regretting my naive choice to stay with the current company. I called the recruter(s) back and apologized, saying the job didn't turn out as I was promised. Guess what BAE did? They said all the jobs were filled (NOT true!) and then blacklisted me from being hired again. Even independent recruiters contact me saying I'd be perfect for BAE and they want to get me in with them. Then I tell the recruiters that I think I've been blacklisted and won't get hired. The recruiters chuckle and say that's not true (of course) and then present my resume to BAE and I never hear back from the recruiter again. That has happened to me 4 times. I don't even get responses back from the recruiters via email, which is odd. That's never happened to me when a recruiter doesn't even respond via email.

If BAE seriously is this crooked, I may as well have gone back with Booz Allen Hamilton.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

21 months ago

I think you two are missing the gist of the matter. They offered you a job, and you didn't take it. One of you was offered twice. Then you decide you wanted a job.

You are expected to have some dedication and loyalty to an employer. You two showed right from the beginning you were in it for you, not what you had to offer the employer. No employer (unless you are really exceptional) is going to offer you another job once they offered you one and you declined it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

Agreed. One generally gets only one bite at the cherry; one of these posters got two. Some people never get a bite at the cherry at all. You two guys should have counted your blessings and taken the offers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

You obviously do not understand the expression, "bite at the cherry." I won't try to explain it to you. Or else you missed the point.

You certainly should count your blessings if your skills are as valuable as you allege. Most people are not as fortunate as you, to be able to turn down two offers from the same employer and have skills that will always enable them to find a job. You are truly blessed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

21 months ago

If you think working for a contractor is a cherry job, you are twisted in your mind.

ULP said it right. If you don't understand it, we can't explain it. Whether it is a permanent job, or a subcontractor job, or a contractor job, they offered you a position and you turned it down. THAT is their first, and most meaningful impression, of you.

It's a matter of supply and demand. If there was a large supply jobs and there was a demand for employees, you would have been okay to turn down the "offer." But when jobs are scarce, and there are a surplus of people available for the job, don't expect an employer to give you a second chance at a bite at the cherry.

Look at this way: Steve Jobs got a second bite at the cherry with Apple. Although he started the company, it got big, the Board got ugly. He left and they parted on bad terms. Apple was losing. They asked Jobs to come back. He got a second bite at the cherry.

A generic job applicant no. 1 turns down a job offer. The guy behind him in line gets offered and takes the job. It is extremely unlikely that the company will offer another job to generic job applicant no. 1. He got a chance at a bite at the cherry and he declined it. It's the same concept of quitting a job. It is uncommon for a company to not rehire the worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

I was offered an aviation instructing job at a good (for aviation) company years ago. I turned it down, primarily because I would have been hired on a "B" scale, meaning the company had changed the pay scale and I would have been paid less for the same work than previous new hires.

Several months later, I had taken another instructing job with a Fortune 500 company. It turned out to be far different than I was led to believe. I desperately wanted to leave that company, so I tried again with the company I turned down. I got the cold shoulder, in spades. In the meantime, the company had hired at least one of my colleagues. They couldn't, or maybe wouldn't, help me.

Ya gets only one bite at the cherry.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.