Quitting BofA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

Serendipity in West Covina, California

87 months ago

Hi, I have a question about leaving BofA. I am currently working at BofA and desperately want out! Does anyone know the policy, am I legally required by law to give a 2 wk notice, as this is what my manager has told me. I don't care about using bofa as a reference, and even if i did, they company would only be allowed to say how long i've worked there, if i'm not mistaken. I hate working there, and should not be forced to stay!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

formeremployee in Los Angeles, California

87 months ago

What your manager failed to tell you is what is written on the paperwork that they give you when you are hired. It says, "at will employment". Which means they can terminate you with no explaination or notice. On the other hand it also means you can leave without any explaination and do not have to give any notice either.
The 2wk notice he's talking about says it's a courtesy in my paperwork so they will have ample time to get a replacement for you. I worked there. When I resigned, without notice,I tried to get in touch with them to find out what number I could give to a future employer to verify my employment. I sent 2 emails months ago and never got a response from them to this day. Now I'm glad I never gave them notice.
By rights an employer is suppose to give only your hire date and ending date of employment and salary. It is against the law for them to give their personal feelings about an associate. If your manager does give out his personal opinion and he prevents you from getting a job you can report him to the EEOC. They will investigate the matter.
If your manager has a problem with you quitting without notice, you can report him to the EEOC for threatening you. On the other hand if you're not going to use them as a reference then I would just resign.
Instead of threatening their employees maybe they should spend some of their NSF fees on cameras at their banking centers so their customers don't get locked inside. That's what they call "World Class Service". I hope she sues because an apology isn't good enough!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Serendipity in West Covina, California

87 months ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to address all of the points in my question! I couldn't remember if the papers that I signed said "at will" or not. I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get out!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Metter, Georgia

87 months ago

Serendipity in West Covina, California said: am I legally required by law to give a 2 wk notice, as this is what my manager has told me. I don't care about using bofa as a reference,

You don't even have to resign if you are not going to use them as a reference. You don't even have to show up Monday morning, really. Slavery was abolished over a hundred years ago.

You might show up to retrieve any personal items but that will only take a few minutes. Be sure you are in a position where you have returned anything such as keys or card access to their property. Allow someone friendly to witness what you take away so there can be no dispute over what is rightfully yours and rightfully theirs when you walk out.

If you like, you can just call them Monday morning and arrange to pick up your personal items later at the front desk or something. You never have to lay eyes on that manager again if you wish.

I admire that you are taking charge of your own life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Professionally Unemployed in Charlotte, North Carolina

87 months ago

Serendipity: Man they must have made you mad and that sux. I am also a former at home base in Charlotte, NC. As mad as you are, however, I must caution you to at least get something POSITIVELY lined up first. Can't speak for your geographical area of course, but even if you are a humdinger in your field, it is tuff out there and getting tougher each day-hence my handle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wifelooker in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

87 months ago

My wife is trying to get a job with BOA - does anyone know the easiest way. Which employment agency does BOA use. We are in Charlotte, NC.

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hatemyjob in Fremont, California

87 months ago

Serendipity in West Covina, California said: Hi, I have a question about leaving BofA. I am currently working at BofA and desperately want out! Does anyone know the policy, am I legally required by law to give a 2 wk notice, as this is what my manager has told me. I don't care about using bofa as a reference, and even if i did, they company would only be allowed to say how long i've worked there, if i'm not mistaken. I hate working there, and should not be forced to stay!!

how long have u worked at bofa?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

B of A is the biggest/best game in (a small ass town like) Charlotte. It'll take perserverence to get noticed. That said, Addeco is the service they use in town for administrative assistants. Depending on what your wife's specialty is, you can call Addecco first, or apply at their website for anything she is qualified for then work your way up once in. You can't show up for a face to face uninvited. All the uptown lobbies are now secured bcause of 9/11.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Serendipity in West Covina, California said: Thank you so much for taking the time to address all of the points in my question! I couldn't remember if the papers that I signed said "at will" or not. I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get out!!!

Your welcome and good luck on your next job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

wifelooker in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: My wife is trying to get a job with BOA - does anyone know the easiest way. Which employment agency does BOA use. We are in Charlotte, NC.

thanks

I don't recommend them either.
The easiest way to apply? Through their job site on line.
The hiring process may take up to 2mos. They really don't have any set standard for their hiring process from what I've read or heard from my coworkers. There maybe alot of their banks in your area but overall they sacrifice quality for quantity. If she wants to be a teller? I would suggest Wells Fargo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl K in Delaware in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

Just walk off the job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Summerbreeze in Mooresville, North Carolina

87 months ago

Professionally Unemployed in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Serendipity: Man they must have made you mad and that sux. I am also a former at home base in Charlotte, NC. As mad as you are, however, I must caution you to at least get something POSITIVELY lined up first. Can't speak for your geographical area of course, but even if you are a humdinger in your field, it is tuff out there and getting tougher each day-hence my handle.

I'm trying to get on with a big company like BOFA. It's seems impossible though. Why wouldn't you recommend them? It's just an admin position but they are slow when it comes to the whole hiring process and I might find another job by then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Summerbreeze, I am not the one who doesn't recommend BofA. I worked there for 6 years as an Exec Assist. I was laid off @ the Fleet Bank merger in '04, refused rehire to be my mother's personal caregiver and received severance. There are negatives, however. While BofA perks are absurdly generous, the salary (for me) was 10-15% higher than any other job in town, I received yearly 'goal identification' and quartly reviews to addres those goals, was well trained in lateral, up and down coaching plus and leadership....they also prefer Type A personalities - those near workaholics who prioritize the company as being first and themselves last. In both the Consumer Bank and in the Investment Bank, EveryOne was expected to work with large loads on our shoulders. If you prefer this type of environment-day in and day out-by all means.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl K in Delaware in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

Just grab your things and beat it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Summerbreeze in Mooresville, North Carolina

86 months ago

Professionally Unemployed in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Summerbreeze, I am not the one who doesn't recommend BofA. I worked there for 6 years as an Exec Assist. I was laid off @ the Fleet Bank merger in '04, refused rehire to be my mother's personal caregiver and received severance. There are negatives, however. While BofA perks are absurdly generous, the salary (for me) was 10-15% higher than any other job in town, I received yearly 'goal identification' and quartly reviews to addres those goals, was well trained in lateral, up and down coaching plus and leadership....they also prefer Type A personalities - those near workaholics who prioritize the company as being first and themselves last. In both the Consumer Bank and in the Investment Bank, EveryOne was expected to work with large loads on our shoulders. If you prefer this type of environment-day in and day out-by all means.....

Oh okay I see. That makes sense, I may be doing a short term assignment starting next week. I bet your serverance package was nice!! Do you consider yourself to be a workaholic? If so, do you think that's why you stayed with the company for 6 years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AVM in Greensboro, North Carolina

82 months ago

Serendipity in West Covina, California said: Hi, I have a question about leaving BofA. I am currently working at BofA and desperately want out! Does anyone know the policy, am I legally required by law to give a 2 wk notice, as this is what my manager has told me. I don't care about using bofa as a reference, and even if i did, they company would only be allowed to say how long i've worked there, if i'm not mistaken. I hate working there, and should not be forced to stay!!

You're not legally required to give 2 weeks notice, but if you fail to, you'll not be eligible for rehire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Natisha McGhee in Charlotte, North Carolina

80 months ago

wifelooker in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: My wife is trying to get a job with BOA - does anyone know the easiest way. Which employment agency does BOA use. We are in Charlotte, NC.

thanks

Adecco 201 College St. Go to Adecco.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Natisha McGhee in Charlotte, North Carolina

80 months ago

Summerbreeze in Mooresville, North Carolina said: I'm trying to get on with a big company like BOFA. It's seems impossible though. Why wouldn't you recommend them? It's just an admin position but they are slow when it comes to the whole hiring process and I might find another job by then.

Try ajilon.com, remxfinancial.com, accountemps.com, and sherpallc.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

100krecruiter in Marietta, Georgia

80 months ago

I have been reading the topics surrounding this company. It seems like there is alot of disgruntled persons looking for a different avenue, different environment, maybe one that delivers instead of empty promises. I am willing to help you with different opportunities that would seriously help the members of this board. Please feel free to email me your resume at 100krecruiter@gmail.com at which time I will review it and find a fit that might interest you. The sooner you send it to me the faster things can change.......hopefully dramatically. Last but not least, I am based in Marietta but I operate within all 50 states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

virgocalifornia in Moreno Valley, California

80 months ago

formeremployee in Los Angeles, California said: What your manager failed to tell you is what is written on the paperwork that they give you when you are hired. It says, "at will employment". Which means they can terminate you with no explaination or notice. On the other hand it also means you can leave without any explaination and do not have to give any notice either.
The 2wk notice he's talking about says it's a courtesy in my paperwork so they will have ample time to get a replacement for you. I worked there. When I resigned, without notice,I tried to get in touch with them to find out what number I could give to a future employer to verify my employment. I sent 2 emails months ago and never got a response from them to this day. Now I'm glad I never gave them notice.
By rights an employer is suppose to give only your hire date and ending date of employment and salary. It is against the law for them to give their personal feelings about an associate. If your manager does give out his personal opinion and he prevents you from getting a job you can report him to the EEOC. They will investigate the matter.
If your manager has a problem with you quitting without notice, you can report him to the EEOC for threatening you. On the other hand if you're not going to use them as a reference then I would just resign.
Instead of threatening their employees maybe they should spend some of their NSF fees on cameras at their banking centers so their customers don't get locked inside. That's what they call "World Class Service". I hope she sues because an apology isn't good enough!

There is alot of bad advise on how you should handle your situation. Perhaps by the time you read this response you probably left and are searching for your new job. Regardless of the reason for leaving an employer you should try to give them "reasonable" notice so they have time to find someone to fill your position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sleepless in Tampa in Brandon, Florida

78 months ago

Hi,

I recently applied to BOA as a rehire for a customer service/sales position.I have not worked for the bank for about five years. What are my chances of getting rehired. Also what information (in detail) are they looking for during the back ground check? I don't have a criminal history but my credit is not squeeky clean.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

C Ann in San Antonio, Texas

63 months ago

When I walked out on a job for harrassment, I reported it to the EEOC. You should only leave a job under serious circumstances if you leave it THAT way. It will most likely affect future employment in some form or fashion if you don't. Give them your two-weeks notice (WRITTEN) and get the heck outta there. You need to leave on GOOD terms, because a lot of employers will call them up and though they're not legally allowed to ask why you are no longer employed there, they could say that you are not rehireable and perhaps the former employer could just say why (ex: quitting without notice). Unless the phone call is recorded, you'd never be able to prove the matter was discussed. That SUCKS, but it does happen. Just be as professional as possible. Yes, I know this is a REALLY late response, but I hope it helps someone else out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exBOA in New Castle, Delaware

53 months ago

I worked at BOA in 2005 just for 1 day as a Teller. They had a No Seating, only Standing policy for tellers, so I quit the next day. That was in VA. After 5 years now, I tried to apply for a contracting position in DE and got a "NO" for Rehire Eligibility. I was shocked.
I called their Advisors and enquired about this, and they said I didn't give 2 weeks notice.
It can only be reversed by the Manager who made it NO. I tried to contact that person, but the Manager is no longer with BOA. So there goes my chance !!

The advisors there told me there's nothing else that could be done to reverse the rehire eligibility. Anybody with similar experience and managed to reverse it?

smilepatti in Jupiter, Florida

47 months ago

Igot hired at BOA and I quit. It was a terrible experience and i would not recommend working there to anyone. I had to sit in a back room doing computer training for a month and then was suppose to have the head teller train me and she did a terrible job at that and never even trained me at all. What a waste of everyones time. I got harrassed from the head teller. I would never put up with that ever. I could not wait to leave and it was the best thing i ever did. I had 6 weeks there and will never look back. at boa they do not care about their employees at all. Was told when i was working not asked when i was suppose to have a certain day off i was told i would be working it. The head teller tried to be the boss and she was so mean....no wonder they cant get anyone to stay at that branch. It is a joke. They need to train their tellers and not just expect them to do it with no training.....it was the worst experience i have ever have had as a work experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dura Schlag in New York, New York

45 months ago

BofA is a big company. Even in one location, so it all depends on where you land in the company. Like most companies in America, it's a lotto whether it's professional, well-run, humane, etc.
"At Will" employment basically lets the company be unaccountable as to whether it's poorly run, unprofessional and inhumane. It will all depend on your management and their standing with their management.

One perfectly legal evil is the former employee check. This is done by a interest-conflicted operation called Adecco. I believe they are the largest or second largest contract and recruitment company in the world. The information they make freely available to all subscribers is whether your employer (in all cases, completely discretionary to your last manager) has you as eligible or ineligible for rehire.

So here's what should be a big debate in this country, but given Americans are just sheep-to-the-slaughter when it comes to the workplace, it is not:

The largest/2nd largest temp and recruitment firm in the world also runs the central employment history database for one of the largest private employers in America. This database and service reports on employment history and maintains information about whether that employer will permit the employee to be rehired.

Go ahead. Think about it. You leave your company. As you may assume, on good terms. Your manager holds some grudge, most likely that you dared leave or such. At his sole discretion, he can exclude the possibility of you're ever working for this giant global employer, Bank of America. Anywhere. Forever.
Think about it. And then write your congressman and ask them if they think this is good and right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

J in Jacksonville, Florida

40 months ago

I left Bank of America on very good terms. I had to move due to personal reasons. I staffing firm tried to place me back at BOA as a contractor and I was very excited about returning. They were told any employee has to go through a 90 day "cooling off period" before they return to BOA. Does anyone know why this is? I am slightly confused about it. THANKS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sweeting it out in Fort Worth, Texas

40 months ago

I'm in the process of interviewing with BofA my background is fine, no issues. However my credit is in the tank, no f/c's or repos just credit card debt. I'm concerned about that and my question is will they hire someone with bad credit? This is not a branch job but in one of the centers in DFW. Can someone sheed some light on this for me?

faris meghani in New York, New York

40 months ago

I'm in the same boat. I was 16 back in 2001 and worked at MBNA as a salesman for 2 weeks (just for the training) and during the first week told the manager that this is something i didn't want to do and would be leaving after the training was completed. Unfortunately, the manager put me down as "NOT ELIGIBLE FOR REHIRE" and now I was offered a position but couldn't get through because of this issue.

belpotts in Cornelius, North Carolina

37 months ago

Okay I have been looking at all the response on rehire eligblity at boa. Answer me this. It has been 13 years since i resigned in good standing with them. Temp agenices have been trying to get me there and I have just found out why I cannot get there. Talked to someone in advise and counsel and they reseached and said managements decision stands even if management is no longer there.
And their decision was that I was terminated Interesting thing is there is no paper trail as to why. But I know I gave my two weeks and I worked a two week notice. What is my recourse? I know many you are advising not to try so hard to get there because of their experiences and I can certainly understand. But the principal for me is clearing my name because I have never been terminated from a job ever.

Let me hear from you guys (and gals)

FrustratedwithBOA in Tampa, Florida

37 months ago

Good luck bellpotts. If you find resolution please do share as my story mirrors yours!!

ms. sunshine in New York, New York

32 months ago

OMG I hear you! Only thing is, I left without notice because a) my manager told me I could not get a promotion because after my car accident, I needed a chair. b)because he threatned my job telling me he could fire me off of the fact that I was not "spirited" enough! I reported them to the EEOC and basically it was my word against theirs. It sucks because I loved working there.

TX1132 in Flower Mound, Texas

24 months ago

I worked through a staffing service one day, October 9, 2012. (for Bank of America)
I was told different hours by the staffing service and that trainingg was going to be 2 weeks...when I got to the job they told me that my hours could not be changed they were what they were and that training was 2 days and any overtime was mandatory. I emailed the staffing service when I got home after work and told them I was not going back to Bank of America. Staffing service said they understood. I also paid over $1000 to have travel plans changed so I could work at Bank of America. Am I rehireable at Bank of America? I have another staffing service trying to get me into a different location but it is still Bank of America.

no re-hirable without knowing in Alpharetta, Georgia

24 months ago

Dura Schlag in New York, New York said: BofA is a big company. Even in one location, so it all depends on where you land in the company. Like most companies in America, it's a lotto whether it's professional, well-run, humane, etc.
"At Will" employment basically lets the company be unaccountable as to whether it's poorly run, unprofessional and inhumane. It will all depend on your management and their standing with their management.

One perfectly legal evil is the former employee check. This is done by a interest-conflicted operation called Adecco . I believe they are the largest or second largest contract and recruitment company in the world. The information they make freely available to all subscribers is whether your employer (in all cases, completely discretionary to your last manager) has you as eligible or ineligible for rehire.

So here's what should be a big debate in this country, but given Americans are just sheep-to-the-slaughter when it comes to the workplace, it is not:

The largest/2nd largest temp and recruitment firm in the world also runs the central employment history database for one of the largest private employers in America. This database and service reports on employment history and maintains information about whether that employer will permit the employee to be rehired.

Go ahead. Think about it. You leave your company. As you may assume, on good terms. Your manager holds some grudge, most likely that you dared leave or such. At his sole discretion, he can exclude the possibility of you're ever working for this giant global employer, Bank of America . Anywhere. Forever.
Think about it. And then write your congressman and ask them if they think this is good and right.

I found out an SVP can override that, if they want (once again "discretionary")

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chad Maze in Las Vegas, Nevada

18 months ago

You can appeal your ineligible for rehire status through the Global HR group.

www.bankofamerica.com/associates

Select your State.

Complete the form entitled: Rehire Status Inquiry PDF

10 days later you'll have an answer.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.