How to get a job at Boeing.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 293)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Boeing? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Host 2 in Freeport, Florida

96 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Boeing? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
Any advice for someone trying to get in?[/QUOT

It took me 2 years to get in and one to get out, they lay me off on the first change they got, no matter how qualified you are, is who you know there that makes you keep your job and for the managers you have to kiss their behinds all the time to get something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (98) / No (69) Reply - Report abuse

Host 3 in Seattle, Washington

95 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Boeing? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I found the job by happenstance and word of mouth Boeing was hiring. Today Boeing advertises their jobs much better than when I was hired. Getting the interview is solely based on how many bodies (as they view employees) they need to "backfill" other employees jobs fortunate enough to get out or need to hire extra.

Advice for somebody trying to get in: Seek counseling for those "suicidal" thoughts of working at Boeing. You may as well just jump off a cliff. The results of doing so will be essentially the same as working for Boeing and becoming a Boeing Zombie. Why isn't there a list for worst companies to work for? If there was such a list, Boeing would be right after Blackwater as the worst company to work for ever. Consider shooting yourself before working for Boeing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (90) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Tempe, Arizona

95 months ago

worst company? you never worked for USAIRWAYS have you?

Host 3 said:
I found the job by happenstance and word of mouth Boeing was hiring. Today Boeing advertises their jobs much better than when I was hired. Getting the interview is solely based on how many bodies (as they view employees) they need to "backfill" other employees jobs fortunate enough to get out or need to hire extra.
Advice for somebody trying to get in: Seek counseling for those "suicidal" thoughts of working at Boeing. You may as well just jump off a cliff. The results of doing so will be essentially the same as working for Boeing and becoming a Boeing Zombie. Why isn't there a list for worst companies to work for? If there was such a list, Boeing would be right after Blackwater as the worst company to work for ever. Consider shooting yourself before working for Boeing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Fountain Valley, California

94 months ago

They use a resume scanning technology like most big corporations do. The key is to use the right words to get the call. Interviews depends on the hiring manager, from easy to very hard (multiple rounds)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Emily Vaughn in Delta Junction, Alaska

94 months ago

I am not certain where or why all of this hostility for Boeing comes from... Are all of you no longer working for Boeing? If you are ... dont you think that this type of talk about the company will cause you to no longer be working?

My husband is an Engineer for Boeing and happily so. I have to admit hearing all of your stories makes me a little antsy about it though. He just started 6 months ago. We are in a very remote area so the threat of being laid off is slim... but we would like to transfer at some point to the states.

The only reason I can see for such hostility toward the comapany from all of you is this: You were either fired, laid off, treated like a low-life because you may be one... ( you never know whit this being a forum and all) or you arent paid as much as you feel you should be so you are throwing a tantrum over it... In any rate.. I think you should be greatful you have a job if you still do with that attitude as there are many people without no a days.. and if you dont you may want to start re-thinking the reason why you dont have a job anymore...
Just some friendly opposition to what has been said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (81) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

Interested Party... in Commerce, Texas

94 months ago

Quote: "The only reason I can see for such hostility toward the comapany from all of you is this: You were either fired, laid off, treated like a low-life because you may be one... ( you never know whit this being a forum and all) or you arent paid as much as you feel you should be so you are throwing a tantrum over it... "

Many people we (not Boeing) have on record for experiencing this type of treatment followed company procedures and had good ethics and also tried hard to complete their job tasks. Unfortunately, there are trying times to be had for many in the aviation industry. We have experience and history dating back to the 1950's. Low bids, cost cutting, cutting corners, hiring relatives (well placed relatives), and outsourcing have caused the industry and some like them to become quite stressed. We have experience in Alaska as well on many bases there. We wished we were back there. If you do not like Alaska, it is understandable that people have their own tastes in living environment. Wherever you may be in Alaska, you are not far from some of the prettiest natural scenes in the United States. Maybe another city there will give away more free acreage in order to bring in more residents and businesses (recently happened there). We even liked Shemya when it was a going place and still miss Boozer the Dog. It is easy for anyone to say what they will on a forum such as this, however, there are government records attesting to examples cited. Keep a door open to go back to Alaska...just in case you change your mind. Alaska, in our opinion, is the undiscovered country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Kolipoki in Tonga

94 months ago

Wow, I just ran across this website 15 minutes ago and let me see....hmmm, my friends and I have been called unethical, dishonest and desperate. And since I worked very hard to get into management after 15 years, I am now a "low-life" that people sold their souls to. I no longer work at Boeing, but not for any of the reasons listed above. What needs to stop is the "Management bigotry" that goes on in Boeing. You can't make comments about people you don't know. There probably are people in management that meet your discription, but does that justify making that statement about all in that category. It is no different than hating someone for there color, religion, or whatever. I for one was proud to be a Boeing employee both before and after I went into management. I hope that the people in this forum that hate the company don't work for Boeing anymore. Life is to short, find something you like and get on with life. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

PokiPoki in Muskogee in Seattle, Washington

93 months ago

Nowhere did anyone allege all Boeing management is unethical and dishonest. You, a former manager, even admit that there are probably managers that are as described at Boeing. Coming from someone that might be biased towards Boeing management, that can be read as a ringing endorsement of what was written negatively (rightly) about Boeing management. Unfortunately you took it personally when you shouldn't have. I admit there are likely ethical managers at Boeing. Maybe your department was an exception to the rule. Even Boeing's current CEO has mentioned this "past" penchant for management to do anything to get the job done," and has even voiced that that is unacceptable, if laws are broken. Even though he talks the talk and does not walk the walk on this issue, he has at least acknowledged its existence, even if Boeing has no intention of really ending such unethical and illegal actions by management to meet targets. So, I would think, if you are/were a loyal manager, you would have to acknowledge this fact yourself. Boeing management is not exactly a discriminated against class, unless you call living in gated golf course communities and getting overpaid discrimination. Worked hard for fifteen years to get into management? Most people can train their lungs to suck the golf ball through the garden hose in much less time than that. I've never heard of working hard for fifteen years to get into Boeing management. I've never seen skill at a position below or in management be a requirement for being in management. Rather, it is what you are willing to do to get the job done that seems to matter most. Life is too short is a generality. That is true for good people, but it is much, much too long for others for those around them. You should hope that people that are adverse to Boeing management corruption stay with the company. Such people really love the company, and hate it when corrupt management puts their stock option's value above the company's interests.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

G&S in Delta Junction, Alaska

93 months ago

This is to Kolipoki in Tonga:

This is off the subject kinda. I was hoping you could tell me how long a new Boeing employee non-union needs to work before putting in for a transfer to a different location?

I currently work at the site in Alaska and though my family and I love AK we would like to have the warmer weather along with more life options found down in the states.

I will have been a Boeing employee for a year this OCTober.
Any help with this would be great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Kolipoki in Tonga

93 months ago

Dear G&S,

No problem on the subject change. As a matter of fact, thank you for changing it. I will have to apologize since I do not now what the minimum time is for transfering. I am only aware of a 1 year requirement when you are moved to a location on Boeings tab. I have no way of finding out for sure on the transfer as I no longer work for Boeing and there are no Boeing offices in the Kingdom of Tonga. The best thing to do is apply and let HR tell you if you need to wait longer. It is my opinion that you have probably been there long enough.

Good luck on your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

G&S in Delta Junction, Alaska

93 months ago

Thanks . I will wait the year. That will be in OCTOBER.
I looked at your homeland and it is BEAUTIFUL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

trey in Saint Louis, Missouri

93 months ago

I have worked for boeing for the past 3 1/2 years. I cannot complain. I started out as a contract hire ( i worked for a different company) needless to say----it took almost a year and a half before boeing actually hired me on. i am sorry for the bad comments listed here , but this is the most rewarding, satisfying job i have ever had. benefits are better than most of my friends that work for other big companies. I have worked in two different buildings thus far and the atmosphere is the same. I love my job and this is the first time i can say this and mean it. so to people wanting to get in, i would suggest being a contractor first or interning first, boeing hires their interns and contractors quicker than just hiring someone off the streets. To heck with some of these comments. YOU WOULD LOVE IT HERE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Truthful in Seattle, Washington

93 months ago

Maybe your being in the "cost plus" defense side of Boeing has provided some insulation between your position and some of the corruption documented (and true, by the way) above. I remember when I was on a similar cost plus defense program for Boeing before I moved to Commercial--management made workers work 12 hour days seven days a week and harrassed those who wanted time off for vacation or took sick leave--all because for every hour a worker worked on that program, Boeing got a guaranteed ungodly sum in profit. Didn't matter if there was nothing to do as parts were late and we had to read blueprints for 12 hours on order for Boeing to thusly bilk the U.S. Taxpayer. But, if you were just looking out for #1 as you and Boeing are, there was good money to be made with all that mandatory OT, even though you had no personal life to spend it in. So if you are in it for the money and don't give a damn about defrauding the U.S taxpayer (or other fraud around you), then Boeing is a good place for you. True, if you have no conscience, then you would love working for Boeing, as being unethical can be lucrative. The people making the above comments you disagree with calling Boeing on their still ethically challenged ways and immoral and illegal conduct are not likely to go to heck loike you wish they would--quite the opposite. It is you and those like you who ignore Boeing misconduct for personal gain that will end up in that place rightly one day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

SE in Colorado in Colorado Springs, Colorado

89 months ago

G&S - It depends on your relocation package. When Boeing moved me, it was two years; however, each situation is different. As Kolipoki stated, apply for positions. If you can't be relocated, HR or the hiring manager will let you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JJJ in Harbor City, California

89 months ago

Host 2 in Freeport, Florida said:

I worked there in the late '80, things have
not changed. It's not what you know but WHO you know....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

ves in Cumming, Georgia

89 months ago

I am amused every time I hear people say "It's not what you know but WHO you know", as if that is exclusive to their industry only. I have news for you, it's like that pretty much everywhere. I have worked in 5 different mid to large sized companies in the past 15 years, and that was the case for ALL of them.

So bottom line is once you find a job you somewhat enjoy, in an industry you respect, then stick with it and stop whining.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

BCAengineer

87 months ago

I totally agree with Ves...as far as I know, jobs are "at-will" meaning you are free to leave whenever you want as much as your employer can release you. If no one is forcing you to stay, then leave! All companies have their office politics because the world isn't perfect. It is as much who you know and how much you know that will keep you in the game. If you want to work for Boeing, go for it. Then share your experiences in this forum...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Cerika1984 in Huntsville, Alabama

79 months ago

Guys! I think that you can go anywhere and have a bad experience. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. If you are in any place at the wrong time you will probably "hate" that place. So, sounds like some people have had some good experiences and some have had bad...
I have had nothing but good experiences as a Boeing employee. Yes, I have worked some long hours but, I get paid for all my time and I work around great people. I have never had any complaints to my management to take any vacation time. Of course, any job that I have worked have had times where they were hard on your for taking vacation. (i.e. retail store at Christmas time) So, no job is perfect but I say if your good times are outweighing your bad times you should take that into consideration. If your bad times are out weighing your good then you might be in the "wrong" place so good luck on finding your right place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Boeing Expert in Seattle, Washington

51 months ago

C. LeBrun,

I suggest contacting that Boeing witch manager's boss you used to lunch with. Maybe they can go to bat with HR for you. You need an insider working on your behalf to help or get the info from HR you want. They will likely never tell you, as you are on the outside. The only people Boeing respects worse than their own employees is members of the public or military they dupe into using their products.

You are likely flagged in your "virtual folder" "do not rehire." Having that buddy manager inside is likely the only way you will find out why you were flagged that way.

Of course, I am no advocate for working for the crooks in Boeing management, but I understand it is hard to get any job in this economy. Maybe you can get this red flag removed from your "folder" as noted above and get on at Boeing, and be one of the few, proud, ethical employees that still work there.

But, until Boeing management is de-witched and de-warlocked, fly Airbus and tell all you loved ones to do so as well. Tell all your enemies to fly Boeing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

"All had enough?" Not sure who you purport to speak on behalf of.

There is no speculation at all. Like, you, I have witnessed incompetent and corrupt Boeing management first hand, like many of the other posters above (C. Lebrun, etc.).

As you can see, I was offering useful advice to C. Lebrun.

Of course, that is obviously not what bothered you. It was C. Lebrun's (witch characterization) and my characterization of corrupt and incompetent Boeing management and the effects of that mismanagement on the safety of Boeing's products that did. I've seen that first hand as well. No speculation involved.

I'm very open minded. I wish corrupt Boeing management didn't exist, but it does. Being open minded does not allow me to ignore the facts that your close mindedness as false positivity allow you to do.

I think we're all Americans that wish Boeing to succeed.

But that will only happen once the company gets rid of its corrupt and incompetent management, which is the vast majority of it.

The so called "ethics reforms" post Boeing management Druyun/Sears and EELV lawbreaking were obviously a fraud. Boeing management today is as corrupt as it ever was due to the fact that those ethics reforms were never actually extended to the crooks at Boeing who needed them most and made the creation of that program a necessary false diversion to placate the DOJ--Boeing management.

Boeing management is teflon coated when it comes to ethics violations. The surest way to get harassed and retaliated against is to allege an ethics problem with a manager. No matter how much evidence you have or the severity of the fraud the manager is involved in, you will get back the results of the "investigation" as "unsubstantiated," then the retaliation will begin.

It is no accident that whomever sent the email to Boeing headquarters outing Stonecipher's affair did not identify themselves. If they had, they would have been the one targeted instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Mark M - Boeing in Seattle, Washington

51 months ago

Yes, but you see, no one cares what you think of Boeing management. You litter these forums with negative comments non-stop, and I'm sick of reading them. No one appreciates your takes on how corrupt management is, so you may as well save your breath for people who care. On the other hand, you could just discuss the topics at hand like you're supposed to, and there won't be any issues. The topic here is "how to get a job at Boeing," not "is Boeing management corrupt or not?"

I don't want to delete your posts, but I will if they continue to be off-topic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Noted, Mark, but your statements like "no one cares what you think of Boeing management" seem way overbroad and biased. These type of comments have been made by others since almost four years ago when this topic started. Why, then, am I being targeted for telling the truth and trying to help others. As you can see, I offered C. Lebrun some very helpful advice on resolving his issue. He called a Boeing manager a witch. Are you going to be fair and delete him too as well as any other poster not having only positive comments about Boeing employment? "No one appreciates your take..." What kind of statement is that? At least my arguments are fact based and not pulled out of thin air like yours.

As you can see by my ratings, people have found my advice more helpful than most. That is objective data--your "no one cares" is not.

It would be nice if you practiced the objectivity of your posters that read better than you do. The topic is not, as you falsely said "how to get a job at Boeing," the topic is, as cut and pasted word for word from the actual topic above "Do you work at Boeing? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview? Any advice for someone trying to get in?

As you can see, it is much broader than your biased definition, as you work for Boeing. "How did you find the job" is what I post the truthful info that offends you under.

And how did a Boeing employee become moderator of this forum to stifle free speech about Boeing? Did Boeing buy Indeed.com to squelch the truth. What is you reason for bias in this? Do you own Boeing stock, or are you a Boeing recruiter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

dcaudle68 in Fenton, Missouri

51 months ago

I applied for a job with Boeing about a month ago and today got a "Congratulations" for applying computer generated email and asking my to go to my Boeing account and complete a full application. Do these typically lead to an interview/job or am I still one of a hundred at this point? Thanks for any thoughts/help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

C. LeBrun in Gilbert, Arizona

51 months ago

Wow, after reading all the posts, I have figured out what probably caused me
to be flagged as a do not hire. (Duh, it seems so obvious now)

The Boeing I was working at, claimed to be a Level 3 CMMI facility. About 3 days after I got there, I just had to laugh (to myself, of course), because the code was a complete mess. There were 5 or 6 versions of the same document floating around, and when I inquired, the response was, "Well, we are so busy, we can't put them into config. control every time we do a redline"
So, I was assigned a few PRs to implement, and 4 of them were for the same subsystem, and had requirements redlines attached to them. Since all 4 were changes to the same subsystem, the same document needed to be changed for all 4 PRs. Each PR contained a different version of the document, which means that the config. control board approved redlines of requirements that were not current. So, I was sitting there with 4 versions of completely different requirements, that had redlines to implement. I didn't say anything to the supervisor (the witch), but I asked fellow employees, who hmmmed and hawwwed around, then told me to just make put all the redlines into a new version and change the code. This was impossible, since some redlines overwrote others, and it was a mess.
The next week, in our group meeting, there was a QA guy there. The witch gave him a kiss ass introduction and told the group that "We are going for Level 4 ! Mr. xxx is here to help us, and if anyone can give him feedback to help him with this process, that would be great!" I mentioned that I had worked in many Level 4 facilities, some of which were Boeing, and I'd be willing to help any time he wants. That was the end of it, and meeting was over. (What I didn't know, was that even though she was treating him like a king, he was actually the enemy.)
(Continued)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

(continued)
So the next day, the guy stopped me in the hallway, and asked me what I thought of our current "processes", and what I think we could do to step it
up to Level 4. I smiled, and asked him if we were actually at Level 3.
He said yes, and I just couldn't help laughing. I briefly (not detailed) told him that there are old versions of docs being redlined and there is nothing current in CM. I gave him a few other tips on what had to happen to even be at a Level 2, and he took notes.
The next day, or a few days later, I was "laid off" due to re-organization within the group.
I don't think that this guy mentioned my name, but he may have. Alot of people saw me talking with him in the hallway, because I wasn't aware at the time that it was not ok. She told us to talk to him and give him feedback.
How was I supposed to know that he was the "enemy" when she was kissing his ass so hard in the meeting.????
That has to be it, and all this time, I never figured it out.
Thanks to everyone for the comments. Something you said turned on a light bulb in my memory.

So, will the "Do Not Hire" be on there forever? Is there any possible way to have it removed? I have worked for Boeings all over the US, with great success.
In fact, I started my career at Rockwell International as a full time employee, and worked there for 6 years. Left on great terms, and then it morphed into Boeing.
Any ideas? (The witch's boss who was my buddy is no longer working there, I checked).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dmaxx in San Antonio, Texas

51 months ago

Had an interview about three weeks ago it went great . I was told to keep an eye on my status and if it did'nt change I was in and to just hang tight for the offer . It's been three weeks now and my status remains the same and have heard nothing so far. Can anyone tell me what is the average lead time for them to send out the offer ...(it's a Skilled Trades job). Any insight would be great

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

C in Tacoma, Washington

51 months ago

I don't think you are so much a "Boeing Expert" as a disgruntled employee. I thought this was a forum on getting a job at boeing, not a complaining session. Your negative comments are very annoying...we all know how you feel about Boeing so you can stop now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

UPDATE ON THE DO NOT HIRE LIST!

Turns out I'm not on the list after all. Confirmed by Total Access.
It seems that my perspective new manager who offered me the job called
the witch X Supervisor (using my SSN, her name came up as my last supervisor)
and she told him negative things about me.

So I lost an $80/hour job because she is an amazon looking scag who had the
hots for her Manager, and couldn't handle me going to lunch with him, while
she sat in the cafeteria and ate potato chips and french fries.

All she had to do was ask, and I would have taken her to the mall and bought
her some real clothes and brought her to the gym with me to lose some of that
weight....Would have been cheaper for me in the long run.
Don't the other 9 or 10 Boeing Bosses I've had since 1985 matter at all?
I have 3 of them listed as my top references.....
Guess not, since nobody called them.

Gotta love corporate America!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mark M - Boeing in Seattle, Washington

51 months ago

I was gonna say... I found it hard to believe that there is a such thing as a "do not hire list." So what about your past PEs? Weren't they positive? Managers can pull those up... Also, chances are if your prospective manager didn't hire you solely on the comments from your previous manager, you wouldn't want to work for this person anyway. Either that or you're not telling us the whole story! Either way, just keep applying to other jobs. There's no reason to give up especially since you have such a long history with Boeing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

I received my offer letter via e-mail. Did my drug test last week, I'm just waiting on the results. Should be good to go no worries there. The lead time is a bit slow for the offer letter but, it is a big Company. Background check and Drug screen results and I'm off to Portland..."Boeing expert" I have seen some of your comments. I have worked at some very large companies myself and have seen all sorts of things. I had a plant close under my feet after 15 years of hard work and service, I have worked in total hell holes trying to rebuild my life. I Have up rooted my family at great cost monetarily and emotionally ...at the end of the day you work hard keep your mouth shut and pray for better days. If you have worked at Boeing for any length of time consider yourself lucky. There are those of us that have had great miss fortunes and have lost everything. I am very gratful I have this chance of giving my Family what they deserve again, and have the ability to send my son to College, and God willing retire before I'm 75. Life is not fair nor perfect..I wish all of you the best of Luck....Carpe diem !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lb10 in Warrensburg, Missouri

51 months ago

dcaudle68 in Fenton, Missouri: that email does mean that you've made it past the first stage. Usually the specific hiring manager will contact you directly via email or phone to set up an interview. I've received 3 of those emails which have resulted in 2 interviews. The first one they flew me up to Seattle, put me up in a hotel, paid for my rental car...but I didn't make the point cutoff. The second one resulted in a phone interview, and next week they're flying me up there for a second interview. Good luck and keep trying. Corporate america isn't for everyone, but I've known a lot of people that work for Boeing and they only have good things to say about it. Keep in mind that Boeing is a company based on contracts too, so layoffs are always possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Todd L Smith in Enumclaw, Washington

51 months ago

I received my congratulations letter 11 days ago but didn't get the application link on the Boeing website. I called total access and they had a hiring manager call me. They contacted the hiring person for me and contacted the hiring manager and told them that I was having problems. I got the application link two days after the cut off but was told not to worry about it being late.
They worked hard for me over a weekend to get this resolved. I got my application in and now I am just waiting to hear from them. My wife works as an exercise physiologist for Boeing on the south end of Seattle and LOVES her job and loves working for Boeing. So i am excited to hear from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Todd L Smith in Enumclaw, Washington

50 months ago

Had my interview today at 11:30 and by 2:30 the same afternoon was told I would be receiving a job offer in the next couple days. I must have done something right! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rotormommy in Huntsville, Alabama

50 months ago

Well I finally got a call Thursday night asking if I was still interested in the position and said they would call the next day to set up the flight and everything to do the second interview. So far no call. Hopefully the call will come Monday. We are also in a bad situation with our apartment. Our lease is up and we are going to have to go month to month until we know something. Breaking the lease early (shortest is 6 months) would mean a $2500 up front fee from when we tell them we are terminating early. Hopefully I'll know something soon because month to month is really expensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

blackie123 in Lenoir City, Tennessee

50 months ago

We had a phone interview approx 2 weeks ago and filled out the online assessment. He has just been contacted for his second interview this time in person. I assume this is a positive sign??? Will it be much different than the phone interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

blackie123 Did the hiring manager contact you and have they scheduled it yet? Its been almost a week since I was told I got a second interview but my travel plans haven't been scheduled yet.

blackie123 in Lenoir City, Tennessee

50 months ago

He actually got an email to which he is supposed to reply however the site says its experiencing difficulty, so he's going to try it in the Am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

blackie123 in Harriman, Tennessee

50 months ago

Rotormommy,

Wher are you going? We are still in the middle of the process. He is under consideration for 4 jobs, filled out on line apps for 2 of them and completed 2 online battery tests. Has interviewed by phone for one of them before the battery test was even sent. And has now been invited to Charleston for a face to face interview. Boeing travel is supposed to be contacting him. Wether it's for an initial interview or for a second interview we don't know yet. Has been almost 4 months since we started trying to get into Charleston. With 20 years commercial aviation mainly on Boeing products, Airframe License, AA Degree in Avionics; we are keeping our fingers crossed. He would love to get in on the bottom floor of a new program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Charleston is just an attack on Boeing's unions. They will probably shut it down if they make peace with the IAM. If he does get in, make sure he does everything he can to unionize the plant. That is the only way he will ever have any job, pay, or benefit security, no matter how hard or well he works.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

blackie123 in Knoxville, Tennessee

50 months ago

Don't count on it. 20 years in the business and he has gone very far without the help of any unions. We cheered when they de-certified the union. Since the union has already threatened to strike in the comments I have read in the Seattle Times I don't foresee any peace with the union in the near future. I wonder where all that work will go??? And don't start the trash talk about hillbillies, rednecks, or no room. We know several well experienced people down there already. And the talks are already started concerning the Air Force Base next door. I've seen several of your postings. If you don't like your situation, change it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Blackie123...Just got cleared to hire into Portland ..Been Union been nonUnion ... nothing is a for sure thing..NC at going no were ...good luck to you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

blackie123 in Harriman, Tennessee said: Rotormommy,

Wher are you going? We are still in the middle of the process. He is under consideration for 4 jobs, filled out on line apps for 2 of them and completed 2 online battery tests. Has interviewed by phone for one of them before the battery test was even sent. And has now been invited to Charleston for a face to face interview. Boeing travel is supposed to be contacting him. Wether it's for an initial interview or for a second interview we don't know yet. Has been almost 4 months since we started trying to get into Charleston. With 20 years commercial aviation mainly on Boeing products, Airframe License, AA Degree in Avionics; we are keeping our fingers crossed. He would love to get in on the bottom floor of a new program.

If I get the job I would be moving to the Everett WA area. I had a phone interview and was told it would be a couple of weeks before I heard something. 4 weeks to the day I got the call that they wanted to do a second interview. This was on a Thursday night. The following Wednesday night I got the call they wanted me there on Friday. I left out on a redeye to Seattle on Thursday night and got to the hotel around 1am Friday morning and interviewed all day. I have a 4 year degree in engineering, working on a masters degree and have 5 years in the industry. It was a long but interesting interview. I was told that they hopefully would have news for me by the end of the week.

blackie123 in Knoxville, Tennessee

50 months ago

rotormommy good luck!!! Hope all goes well for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Misty in Los Alamitos, California

50 months ago

I just applied online for a mid-career position. I have a master's degree and many years experience. What concerns me is my resume will disappear into cyberspace and I will lose the chance to at least interview for the position. Do you recommend going to HR in person to apply?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mysterysage in Charleston, South Carolina

50 months ago

Misty, I know exactly how you feel. I have a similar background and concern. The process is a black box and you'll never know how your resume scored. I tried going to a career fair to get advice on the application. There were no HR people there to help with that unfortunately on the day I attended. The managers said to put everything that you have done that is relevant or can be construed as relevant to the requisition into the application. Get the buzzwords, obviously, but also don't over look the competencies. The Competencies are how Boeing does performance management I think, so the managers, I guess, are used to seeing accomplishments organized into those competencies. It probably doesn't hurt to accommodate in some fashion, and that might help getting through the computer screening algorithms too. I get the impression that you need more than what is usually on your one page resume sheet to get to the top of the computer screened list and get the interview. The computer algorithm probably scores relevance of application content against the requisition and I can't imagine that it puts much weight on brevity, so elaborate and itemize. If a human ever does finally read the application, I figure it's still a ugly text resume scrolling on the screen and maybe it doesn't matter if you put lots of information in there so long as it's organized. I don't think finding an HR person will help get you through the screening process better/faster. The hiring process is designed to be extremely "fair" so as to be rigid, from what I can tell. But an HR person can probably provide insight as to what to put into the application.
Those are my thoughts, for what they are worth. I haven't actually made it to an interview, uh, yet. I'm constantly searching and researching for ideas to improve the application. I wish others would share ideas, but maybe that's too much to hope for in this very competitive job market right now. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

blksheep in West Chester, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

Little bit of general advice on the original topic. As an HR employee at Boeing, and the wife of a manager( he worked his way there honestly too folks) . First, let me explain a few things. It is NOT who you know that will get you an interview. It is your resume, no kidding. We first do a key word search on all applicants. So point number one, tailor your resume for the position you are applying for. If you have experience that is unique to the position, make sure you put BUZZ words in the resume. Examples would be systems, software etc. We cannot use a key word that is not actually in the announcement itself so read the announcement. Don't be dishonest, if the key words are not backed up, you are usually not referred for an interview. If you do not make the key word search, it is unlikely, although not impossible, your resume will every be viewed by human eyes. As an example, a key word search on 180 applicants, may leave you with 10 to 20 applicants that make that cut. Many were never qualified in the first place,(cooks, hotel managers, etc) but some may have been and didn't have the key words in their resume. Once in a while they ask for all applicants, this is VERY unusual.If the key word search leaves more than requested, we do a visual to down select on the rest. Education is not usually the issue here, most all applicants have an advanced education. So those of you saying "well, I have this MBA or that", everyone your competing against does too. Another resume tip, have a paragraph right up front that highlights your RELEVANT experience. We see that first and put you in the green without even reading past it until a later time. If we have to hunt for the info you are less likely to be referred. If you have a negative record with Boeing from the past, yes we do see that info, but there is no real do not hire list. If you have a negative issue, and we have 20 applicants that don't, it should be obvious what will happen. ALL about the RESUME

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

blksheep in West Chester, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

PART TWO-
So those of you screaming foul pay- it really is not the case. Even current Boeing employees who want a promotion or a change of position must apply in the same way, make the cut, be interviewed, or "boarded". there is also never one person responsible for the selection, it is a board of people, making it even more difficult for a simple connection to get your hired. As for time frames, they vary GREATLY. If a more urgent need comes along than whatever you applied for, it can delay your call, offer etc, for weeks. My experience with Boeing has been positive, it can be a bit political, but aren't' most places? As for just about the bottom line, I don't see that either, the wellness programs, both mental and physical cost a pretty penny every year. I guess it is what you make it for the most part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Devonte Hicks in Edmonds, Washington

49 months ago

I have an interview coming up at Boeing in a few days but i filed for bankrupcy 2years ago.What are my chances for them hiring me with that on my record? It's for the Integral fuel cell job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

milo in Longview, Washington

49 months ago

what is the position? if its is assembly type of work dont worry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.