Do you think Brookdale is "milking" the economic downturn news by cutting benefits?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Educated Employee in Richmond, Virginia

63 months ago

I find it very interesting that Brookdale Senior Living, who continues to purchase and build facilities all over the country, is severely cutting employee benefits "due to the economic downturn".

Prospective employees should be made well aware that Brookdale (Innovative Senior Care)is progressively downsizing employee benefits while rapidly increasing it's profits. Recently, Brookdale employees lost 401K matches, a WHOLE day of vacation and had had a hike in healthcare benefit premiums and waiting periods. New employees have an extremely long waiting period before healthcare benefits start. (So that poorly paid new janitor your facility just hired will have to wait MONTHS before his kid's have healthcare through Brookdale. Isn't that DISGUSTING?! ).

I am ashamed by Brookdale and the employee benefit decisions it has made "due to the economic downturn". My husband works for company that has had to make legitimate cuts for legitimate economic downturn reasons this year, but Brookdale is clearly milking the situation for it's own financial benefit. Look at Brookdale's growth.

Instead of forcing that newly hired janitor to wait months for healthcare, why doesn't Brookdale cut the salaries of management?

Have you noticed a "milking" of the "economic downturn" by Brookdale? If so, give examples here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

NW Mountainbiker in Tacoma, Washington

63 months ago

I left BSL last year because of an in-house situation. During the last shareholder meeting employee benefits and food costs would be modified for 2009. During the later half of 2008 menus were changed to reflect the cost of for example beef. Cheaper cuts of beef were encouraged to be used in recipes by corporate chefs. We were expected to serve five star meals with a three star budget.

It would make sense that management should have a salary freeze. Or at least a raise freeze.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia

63 months ago

Educated Employee in Richmond, Virginia said: I find it very interesting that Brookdale Senior Living, who continues to purchase and build facilities all over the country, is severely cutting employee benefits "due to the economic downturn".

Prospective employees should be made well aware that Brookdale (Innovative Senior Care)is progressively downsizing employee benefits while rapidly increasing it's profits. Recently, Brookdale employees lost 401K matches, a WHOLE day of vacation and had had a hike in healthcare benefit premiums and waiting periods. New employees have an extremely long waiting period before healthcare benefits start. (So that poorly paid new janitor your facility just hired will have to wait MONTHS before his kid's have healthcare through Brookdale. Isn't that DISGUSTING?! ).

I am ashamed by Brookdale and the employee benefit decisions it has made "due to the economic downturn". My husband works for company that has had to make legitimate cuts for legitimate economic downturn reasons this year, but Brookdale is clearly milking the situation for it's own financial benefit. Look at Brookdale's growth.

Instead of forcing that newly hired janitor to wait months for healthcare, why doesn't Brookdale cut the salaries of management?

Have you noticed a "milking" of the "economic downturn" by Brookdale? If so, give examples here.

You say you find it very interesting? Are you currently employed by Brookdale? And if so, should you feel so uncomfortable why do you continue to work for this company? You are apparently uninformed about many things through the corporate structures and how it trickles down. You must work for the Innovative Senior Care you mentioned as this is not very familiar? Honestly, you should be thankful that losing the items listed above is all that you have lost instead of your home, your job, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Kayakforfun in Chesterfield, Virginia

63 months ago

I just became employed by Brookdale after relocated to Virginia and havent heard of any of these things you mentioned. Can you help me out with some other info? I am not fully comfortable asking these questions to my new coworkers. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

working in oregon in portland, Oregon

63 months ago

I don't know if brookdale is "milking the economy". I know that economic conditions have hindered the ablility and willingness for people to sell their home and move to independent or assisted living. This certainly has impact on "the bottom line". This has trickled down to the employees, and the residents of the communities (big rent increases in January).

I do know that I am a bit annoyed in the number of benefits that have already been cut. I feel Brookdale is not living up to the promises it made to me for coming to work for them.

For me, first my position was changed, then the 401K matching was "suspended", then a PTO day was removed, and insurance premiums went up (ok insurance, not great). So this week I am informed that the employee retention plan has changed, (you were to get a bonus upon a year of employment) to nothing until the second year and a couple months. Bummer, that bonus was just around the corner. I also heard a rumor that yearly pay increases aren't going to happen.

Yes, I know, I should be greatful I have a job. I am. But, I left another position based on what Brookdale offered me in my employment package. With all they have retracted, it doesn't give me a great deal of trust in the company.

Why am I still working for them? I am lucky enough to be working in communities that care about the residents. I enjoy the people I work with. However, I am not commiting to the company for too much longer. It is important to trust the company you work for.

I do wonder what cuts the upper management has made. Shortly after our first round of cuts, I did see an upper management person from out of town, driving a BMV rental car and buying lunch for everyone on her company card. Of course she was driving it herself and didn't take everyone out to lunch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NW Mountainbiker in Tacoma, Washington

63 months ago

Kayakforfun in Chesterfield, Virginia said: I just became employed by Brookdale after relocated to Virginia and havent heard of any of these things you mentioned. Can you help me out with some other info? I am not fully comfortable asking these questions to my new coworkers. Thanks.

Not all Brookdale residences are bad, just a few. The employee's benefits have been reduced since I last work there. If you work with good people who are compassionate in their work you're lucky.

Keep your eyes and ears opened. See how the staff treat their residents. Gossip is something that's unavoidable. If there's a problem you'll be able to pick it up. Don't contribute to gossip or rumors. Do your best.

I'm still a stockholder and receive monthly emails from BSL. BSL is having an annual stockholder meeting for a proxy vote. It's mostly about the chair holders and how much benefits they'll receive. Unbelievable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Kayakforfun in Chesterfield, Virginia said: I just became employed by Brookdale after relocated to Virginia and havent heard of any of these things you mentioned. Can you help me out with some other info? I am not fully comfortable asking these questions to my new coworkers. Thanks.

If you are a new employee then you are not aware that employees recently lost some benefits and with very little explanation from Brookdale.

I think that the problem is that Brookdale is simply handing down these changes and blaming it on "the current economic situation" without a detailed explanation. It's a problem of communication, or a lack thereof. Brookdale seems to think we will assume that they are not doing well and accept the changes without question. I'm questioning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia said: You say you find it very interesting? Are you currently employed by Brookdale? And if so, should you feel so uncomfortable why do you continue to work for this company? You are apparently uninformed about many things through the corporate structures and how it trickles down. You must work for the Innovative Senior Care you mentioned as this is not very familiar? Honestly, you should be thankful that losing the items listed above is all that you have lost instead of your home, your job, etc.

If you work in Virginia then you are well aware that no therapist in this region has to be unhappy at work for more than a day. Hopefully, you are most likely receiving daily calls from recruiters. (And if you are not, then become an APTA/VPTA member, it's one of the benefits). I am certainly very grateful to have a job and a home but I am also well aware of the high demand for therapists and I know that Brookdale/ISC is not playing it very smart by cutting benefits for therapists who could find a new job in a matter of hours.

Grateful: yes. Stupid: No.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

working in oregon in portland, Oregon

58 months ago

If you need to do a lot of driving for the company and want to be adequately compensated....forget it. They reinburse 10 cents less than the federal mileage reinbursement suggests.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mr Deeds in Miami, Florida

57 months ago

Educated Employee in Richmond, Virginia said: If you are a new employee then you are not aware that employees recently lost some benefits and with very little explanation from Brookdale.

I think that the problem is that Brookdale is simply handing down these changes and blaming it on "the current economic situation" without a detailed explanation. It's a problem of communication, or a lack thereof. Brookdale seems to think we will assume that they are not doing well and accept the changes without question. I'm questioning.

It is like a disease...in that you speak of communication/collaboration issues and the associated trickle down effect?

I was a former employee of BSL. I was affected by the so called "economic downturn" a year ago. To my perception, there were communication and respect issues abroad, especially when I reflect on former employers of whom had the communication with respect and integrity in dealing with groups and/or individuals. This was minor, but it may be related to the way in which personnel are treated from a communication and input standpoint.

If you have questions about the profitability of BSL, take a look on at the publicly issued financial data. It may lend you some insight as to the decisions that are made to reduce some of the benefits offered. As long as the financial data expresses some profit and operational efficiency, they are doing fine. On another note, BSL seems to be doing fine even in the face of acquiring additional existing facilities as well as in the building of new. It takes sacrifice in order to succeed! Upper management doesn't care about other families...only their own and their pockets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Seminole, Florida

39 months ago

Educated Employee in Richmond, Virginia said: I find it very interesting that Brookdale Senior Living, who continues to purchase and build facilities all over the country, is severely cutting employee benefits "due to the economic downturn".

I think Brookdale is in economic trouble.They make the outside pretty to attract new clients,but cut back on staff and services.The newer buildings that have no courtyard or sidewalks,so they can jam as many efficieny apts the size of a hotel room in.They are half empty.In 50 years or less these places will just be rental apts.The age of wealthy elderly is disapearing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

donthaveone

37 months ago

KAT in Seminole, Florida said: I think Brookdale is in economic trouble.They make the outside pretty to attract new clients,but cut back on staff and services.The newer buildings that have no courtyard or sidewalks,so they can jam as many efficieny apts the size of a hotel room in.They are half empty.In 50 years or less these places will just be rental apts.The age of wealthy elderly is disapearing.

they have no problem giving managers raises and hiking up the price every year for the seniors that are already there food quality is poor and most residents are not happy with it they notice its not staffed enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kat in Minneapolis, Minnesota

35 months ago

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia said: You say you find it very interesting? Are you currently employed by Brookdale? And if so, should you feel so uncomfortable why do you continue to work for this company? You are apparently uninformed about many things through the corporate structures and how it trickles down. You must work for the Innovative Senior Care you mentioned as this is not very familiar? Honestly, you should be thankful that losing the items listed above is all that you have lost instead of your home, your job, etc.

The problem is, it is an employers market.People are going poor and homeless or afraid of becoming such.We have become whimps and allow ourselves to be used and abused.When half the population is homeless maybe because of desperation,We will stand up for ourselves.Look at France,the workers make the rules.If an employer or their government makes them mad,everyone goes on strike.All bus drivers or all cab drivers,ect.They work together to get what they want from their employers.As americans we allow are government and our employers to run us over.We gave up our rights and our strength.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Virginia Rose in Madison, Wisconsin

27 months ago

I work in Life Enrichment at Wynwood Assisted Living, a "child" of parent company Brookdale Senior Living. After 6 years I only make $11.42 an hour working part-time. I will keep this job until something better comes along.
Brookdale is your typical corporation, that is, they are only in business to make a profit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kat in Saint Paul, Minnesota

27 months ago

You are lucky.In florida the brookdale homehealth CNA's make $9 hour and no benefits.Corporations make huge profits with low wage employers.Without unions employees will never get out of the low income stage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

NW Mountainbiker in Tacoma, Washington said: I left BSL last year because of an in-house situation. During the last shareholder meeting employee benefits and food costs would be modified for 2009. During the later half of 2008 menus were changed to reflect the cost of for example beef. Cheaper cuts of beef were encouraged to be used in recipes by corporate chefs. We were expected to serve five star meals with a three star budget.

It would make sense that management should have a salary freeze. Or at least a raise freeze.

The residents have noticed the meal quality has gone downhill.In a Minnesota ast living.The meals are basically half a samwhich and soup.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

It is sad people must feel gratful for a low income job that doesn't pay the rent.Those that settle for less and accept things as they are lead the way for the serf and master future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.