How to get a job at Cargill.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

Do you work at Cargill? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Anthony Wichterman in Chanhassen, Minnesota

84 months ago

I saw the posting for the Media Services Technician on Job.com. I am interested in this position; however, I was not able to apply for or view the original posting. Please reply with the information on how to view the original posting and apply for the position. Thank you and have a great day.
Sincerely,
Anthony Wichterman

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sam Midgo in Cuortney, Ohio

74 months ago

www.cargil.com has many, many positions open. Cargil follows a few steps in the hiring process.
1. Initial contact, be nice here as they are screening you for behavior.
2. Phone Interview, again it's a behavioral interview that takes between 1 and 2 hours to complete. The interviewer types in your answers and comes up with a recommendation then forwards to hiring manager.
3. If hiring manager agrees you get an in-person interview (at the work location for your selected position).

4. You might get a decision from the manager on the spot but more likely you're one of a few being interviews for the same slot so be patient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

wred in lowell, Indiana

62 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Cargill? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

DO NOT WORK FOR THESE PEOPLE

My husband was fired several years ago from a job he had for about 30 years , with 7 years left to retirement. He had a nervous breakdown and has not been able to work since.

His last 18 months Cargill Chemical Products in Chicago, they wanted a people person. So it's not like he was a new employee , they knew what type of person they were getting. Well, I guess they changed their minds, even though he brought up morale in the plant, and made money for the company, after about 18 months of work they decided to fire him because he gave a compliment to a female, who also no longer works there.

7 years before retirement, after all he did for Cargill, and all the moves the kids and I did, wish I got paid but spouses aren't thought of, and the friends they left behind, all this so that we can live on $2,330.00 a month. I really love my later years in life. Piss poor and a husband who is not the same person as he was 5 years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

wred in lowell, Indiana

62 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Cargill? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Plus look at all the management jobs offered as of 7-14-2009
they have listed. THAT should tell people something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

53 months ago

good to know! I am interviewing for a position on the animal health side tomorrow. I have three 1 hr interviews scheduled. It would be nice to get a decision quickly and sounds like it could happen. I am a little nervous about the behavior questions. Also, the interviews have been the most structured I have ran across in my job search so far.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tony M in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

Having worked for Cargill Cocoa & Chocolate in Lititz, PA., I can attest that Cargill hires people mainly on their personality rather than their skill set and knowledge. As you noted, the interview is a lot of behavior questions. When I interviewed, I found it odd that all most all of the questions I was asked revolved around my personality, not around my knowledge of the position I was interviewing for. This is because Cargill is more interested in finding a good "personality fit" than they are a person with the skill set and knowledge to do the job correctly and proficiently.

When I interviewed with Cargill, I had asked the current Demand Manager what type of demand does Cargill employ in its supply chain, push or pull demand. She thought for a second and replied "since we use forecasts and contracts, I would say we use pull demand". This told me she had zero knowledge of even supply chain 101, as planning your demand from forecasts and contracts is push demand, not pull demand.

I had worked beside the demand planner who was responsible for the planning and ordering of cocoa powder from Africa and Europe, yet she had zero knowledge or experience in supply chain, international business or international logistics. When I had first started, she told me that the containers of cocoa powder are stored "under the deck of the vessel". I tried to explain to her that there is no "under the deck" on a container vessel, however she got belligerent with me and pointed to verbiage on the ocean BL stating that the containers are to be stored under the deck. I chuckled and told he that is very old terminology, and the ocean carriers will just ignore it...There is no under the deck on a container vessel. She also thinks that feeder vessels sail from Africa to Europe, and that the vessels still use steam engines to power the vessels. It was not surprising to me that Cargill Cocoa & Chocolate was and is experiencing problems with their supply chain of cocoa powder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

wred in lowell, Indiana

51 months ago

Tony, yes it was being lifted out of thr bowels of hell for both Tom and myself. Being fired was great, but the bad part is that it left him depressed that for all he did for his workers, he was left high and dry. To this day not one person has ever contacted him for consolence. So lesson is, do not make friends at work. That hurts me, for the kids and I always waited for him to get off the phone or come home from work to spend time with us.I don't think Cargill reliazes what the whole family goes through. Yeah.......they aren't doing well in the food area either. Makes you wonder how legit their lawyers are.
Deb

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.