How to get a job at Chevron.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 562)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Chevron? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

This job keeps showing up on a monthly basis. Are they growing that fast or do people keep quitting? Anyone who works there care to comment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (274) / No (53) Reply - Report abuse

AG in Livonia, Michigan

88 months ago

Please let me know about the Rel Engr job in Chevron. How is the work culture, pay and benefits.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

AG in Farmington, Michigan

87 months ago

How is Houston?

I am planning on moving to Houston from Michigan later this month. Is it a good place to settle down with family?

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

karen s in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

AG in Farmington, Michigan said: How is Houston?

I am planning on moving to Houston from Michigan later this month. Is it a good place to settle down with family?

Thanks.

Houston is a great town to live in ...depending on where you live like any large city. There is a great deal of crime here. If I were thinking about settling down with a family - I would look at Austin way before Houston. However, housing is much more affordable here - but for families - Austin is full of parks and great places to swim and driving down Mopac - no signage. It's fun and UT is there.

Houston has all the fluff - fine museums the best in the way of healthcare - and we have the best dining by far in all catagories. I have heard that from people who have lived in San Francisco and more. The west end near dairy ashford between westhiemer and 1-10 is nice...there are great neighborhoods such as the woodlands and sugarland if you don't mind the drive in. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kd in Hayward, California

87 months ago

Ethan R. in Houston, Texas said: Credit Report? Could you clarify, do they run a credit check?

did you get an answer to this question?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

when they run background checks they run credit checks. Everyone runs credit checks they are cheap and even a complete bg check from a major company is leas than 50 dollars

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

natacharice in New Orleans, Louisiana

87 months ago

Jeff Z in Houston, Texas said: I was declined the offer due to app info & credit report. This is only one position & will be an great opportunity; the screening process is extensive.

Was it totally due to the credit report or insufficient information

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Ethan R. in Houston, Texas said: Credit Report? Could you clarify, do they run a credit check?

I would like to know this answer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Chevron? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I would like to know this answer as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

YES they run a credit check and a criminal background.

A in Redford, Michigan

87 months ago

Thanks for your reply.

Can you or someone suggest a few decent (safe, reasonably priced) apartments between I-10 and Westheimer. I was told that there is Metro bus that runs to and from the Downtown. Is it convenient/better than driving?

karen s in Houston, Texas said: Houston is a great town to live in ...depending on where you live like any large city. There is a great deal of crime here. If I were thinking about settling down with a family - I would look at Austin way before Houston. However, housing is much more affordable here - but for families - Austin is full of parks and great places to swim and driving down Mopac - no signage. It's fun and UT is there.

Houston has all the fluff - fine museums the best in the way of healthcare - and we have the best dining by far in all catagories. I have heard that from people who have lived in San Francisco and more. The west end near dairy ashford between westhiemer and 1-10 is nice...there are great neighborhoods such as the woodlands and sugarland if you don't mind the drive in. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

You need to contact the houston chamber of commerce

www.houston.org
and go to apartments.com

and apt guide.

I would always live in a gated community
the woodchase area is good off westhiemer/guessner behind the randalls. they are older apts but good and they are reasonalbe - some have guards at the gate and live on the 3rd floor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Jeff Z in Houston, Texas said: I was declined thye offer due to app info & credit report. This is only one position & will be an great opportunity; the screening process is extensive.

Were you applying for a finance postion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

No - I don't work there but have friends that do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

From the inside in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

Lee in Houston, Texas said: This job keeps showing up on a monthly basis. Are they growing that fast or do people keep quitting? Anyone who works there care to comment?

We are growing - extensively. We are looking at filling positions with good quality candidates. Also - we are looking to the future in terms of demographics. Many of our people will be reaching retirement soon and we are in the process of looking for people as part of our continuity strategy. Consider that the industry as a whole did little hiring in the 80’s as the price of oil was in the basement. The industry did not do well in bringing in new blood back then. Now, there is a huge human resource gap that is just around the corner and companies like Chevron are trying to fill it. The key is about talen - we not just looking for warm bodies. We're looking for smart talented people. This is a great place to work with many, many people who have 25+ years (didn't have a reason to move). If you want to learn, earn, grow and become part of a very professional team, this is the place. In general, this industry is changing rapidly. Projects are becoming bigger and more complex. Smart people are needed - now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

BlackOilMan in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

I did a summer internship with one of the major oil companies in Houston and it was great. However living in Houston is very different than Atlanta. First the metro system is horrible. If you are going to live/work Galleria area then it is best to live on Westheimer or Richmond. Also there are some affordable houses to rent in the Rice Village or Museum area, you have to do a little searching though. With career opportunities in the oil industry they are looking for new blood. The average worker in the oil industry has been there for almost 30 to 40 years. Shell, ConocoPhillips, Exxon, Chevron, and BP are my top 5 choices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

I can't say enough negative things about Chevron (today) without using unacceptable language. What a bunch of scumbags. They are in a post-excellent-local-management phase, i.e.: They've lost or retired all their good managers, and those that remain are under-qualified, and hang on by pointing the finger at everyone else. Current practice is to put a huge responsibility in the job description, and not grant the authority to meet that responsibility. In short, they are creating scapegoats for future use.

In the past Chevron was an excellent place to work. Now it is a pressure cooker running amok without any competent control.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MT in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

How long do you have to wait after you apply online before you hear back from someone at Chevron? I heard it could take up to 4 months is this true?

nr in Abbeville, Louisiana

86 months ago

For me it took a little over 3 weeks. Every position is different though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cdr in San Francisco, California

86 months ago

i applied last friday and had an interview yesterday. 4 business days for me. wish me luck gang!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

karen s in Houston, Texas said: when they run background checks they run credit checks. Everyone runs credit checks they are cheap and even a complete bg check from a major company is leas than 50 dollars

Not true at all. If that were the case, there would be far more people unemployed than there are now. LOL. I've never had my credit checked in all my years of working. Large companies and financial companies tend to run them. Small to mid sized orgs rarely do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Garland, Texas

86 months ago

From the inside in Houston, Texas said: We are growing - extensively. We are looking at filling positions with good quality candidates. Also - we are looking to the future in terms of demographics. Many of our people will be reaching retirement soon and we are in the process of looking for people as part of our continuity strategy. Consider that the industry as a whole did little hiring in the 80’s as the price of oil was in the basement. The industry did not do well in bringing in new blood back then. Now, there is a huge human resource gap that is just around the corner and companies like Chevron are trying to fill it. The key is about talen - we not just looking for warm bodies. We're looking for smart talented people. This is a great place to work with many, many people who have 25+ years (didn't have a reason to move). If you want to learn, earn, grow and become part of a very professional team, this is the place. In general, this industry is changing rapidly. Projects are becoming bigger and more complex. Smart people are needed - now.

I have applied several times but keep getting a no thank you emails. I have exceptional credentials (30+ years in corporate security and law enforcement) and have applied for a corporate security position but keep getting "no thank you" emails. What am i doing wrong? what is the security directors or CSO's name and email address? or can i send you a copy of my resume.....
montgoss@tx.rr.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MJA in Denver, Colorado

86 months ago

cdr in San Francisco, California said: Not true at all. If that were the case, there would be far more people unemployed than there are now. LOL. I've never had my credit checked in all my years of working. Large companies and financial companies tend to run them. Small to mid sized orgs rarely do.

I do not know where you have worked but any company paying any good money runs a credit check to see how you run your life, before I will let in the door to run mine. It only makes sense from our point of view.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

I just had my initial phone interview on Friday for a job in the drill & completions division. Does anyone know what the next steps are from there? And what kind of time frame am I looking at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cdr in Oakland, California

86 months ago

MJA in Denver, Colorado said: I do not know where you have worked but any company paying any good money runs a credit check to see how you run your life, before I will let in the door to run mine. It only makes sense from our point of view.

Why is this an issue? Not every company runs credit checks. Is this statement really so shocking? I'm not sure what you mean by "good money" either. I have not made less than 100k since the mid 90's. Every company checks references. Every company checks into your criminal history. Not every company runs your credit. If you think about it logically, there is no way to prove me wrong, whereas, my personal experience proves you wrong.

Next topic...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MJA in Denver, Colorado

86 months ago

cdr in Oakland, California said: Why is this an issue? Not every company runs credit checks. Is this statement really so shocking? I'm not sure what you mean by "good money" either. I have not made less than 100k since the mid 90's. Every company checks references. Every company checks into your criminal history. Not every company runs your credit. If you think about it logically, there is no way to prove me wrong, whereas, my personal experience proves you wrong.

Next topic...

Well all I can say is your personal experience must come from a fish bowl in a very small pond. Your job must have nothing to do with H.R or Security! Not to mention you must not be hiring anyone for a fortune 500 company. Maybe Mom & Pop do not run credit checks but the rest of corporate America sure is and has been for sometime now, for a manager or higher position they sure do. But I have only been doing this for 30 years now in the same industry four different states PA, CA, IL, CO. four different companies. If you take good care of your budget I might trust you with my budget or resources or people or equipment. No matter what the job you are applying for, your credit is your life’s reflection into the real world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CDR in Oakland, California

86 months ago

WOW! OK, I'll Try this again. I am not arguing the usefulness or merits of credit checks. I simply gave my two cents based on my experience (which isn't too shabby since it allows me to own a home in the suburbs of the California Bay area and support a family with a single income.) I'm not the security guard at the local mall. I simply stated that not every company checks credit. I've even stated that large organizations and financial institutions usually do check credit. I just wanted to clarify to some inexperienced readers that if you have some credit issues, you don't have to give up on your dreams of finding quality employment. By the way, if my credit must be checked, then I'm fine with it. I pay my bills.

If you run across a recruiter with 30+ years of experience that tells you that you can't get a great job based on credit, do yourself a favor and fire him. Find a young guy thats energetic and smart who understands that there are more than 500 companies in the country. If you have skills and a great personality, you can and will find a great job.

On another note. If you speak to the head of most security departments in fortune 500 organizations, they'll inform you that they are searching for evidence of fraud and/or complete recklessness. A few late payments or a student loan issue doesn't totally eliminate you. (Oh yes, rather than mindlessly attacking other posters, I actually reached out and researched the topic.)

Again I say...WOW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MJA in Denver, Colorado

86 months ago

Wow Its all good! I cashed in on the housing boom in California, I lived out in Fresno, wporked for Southern California Edison, sold out and came to Denver.

Again Wow LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nr in Abbeville, Louisiana

86 months ago

It's good to be real about the situation both ways. You are right, not every company checks credit but Chevron does. However I did speak to one of the HR folks being that I am a candidate for a position and I really think the credit check is mainly for verification purposes and to see whats going on to be sure this person is not a potential threat. I personally do not agree with it because good people come across problems beyond their own power and the good sometimes suffer for the bad. We all need to put it all in Gods hand because I see many people with good credit get good jobs and read about much malfeasance and many other people with high positions doing the wrong thing. I think people with bad credit could use a break these days but thats not always the case. We can only concentrate on the things we can change and again let God take care of the rest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mack in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

Scott in Garland, Texas said: I have applied several times but keep getting a no thank you emails. I have exceptional credentials (30+ years in corporate security and law enforcement) and have applied for a corporate security position but keep getting "no thank you" emails. What am i doing wrong? what is the security directors or CSO's name and email address? or can i send you a copy of my resume.....
montgoss@tx.rr.com

Scott,
Hate to say it, but based on the fact you have 30+ years of experience I assume you are at least 50 years old. If so, IMO that's the issue. I know as I'm fighting the same issue on age and regardless of how good you are and qualified you might be, large corporations don't want to hire someone our age. I know that there can be exceptions but in general this is a fact. I just had a close friend retire from Exxon after 32 years there and he said that once you pass 50 at Exxon you have a "bullseye" on your back. That's the sad fact/case for most large corporations today. Good luck w/ the search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Humble, Texas

86 months ago

Any word on the interview process? I've seen that vault.com has people being helpful, anyone here want to be nice and enlighten us?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

wp in Mandeville, Louisiana

86 months ago

Paul,
From my understanding alot of it depends if your application is being reviewed by the third party. Mine was not, so it took three weeks for someone in HR to respond to me. They asked me fairly standard questions, but after the intial phone interview i'm not sure what happens, since this is the current stage i'm in. I'm assuming they let you know if they're interested in you or not. Maybe someone else can help us out with that. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

Thanks so much wp! I have an interview next week, so I'll be sure to post some info also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

How long was it after the intial phone interview till they contacted you for an interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

Actually, I didn't get a phone interview. I should have mentioned that my interview will be at my university campus, so perhaps that is a different process. I'm applying for a science/engineering position. I'm not sure if they have different types of interviews for different positions, but imagine that they are different.

86 months ago

I had my initial phone interview and was contacted for a second round within 4 days. I don't think that this is the norm though. I interviewed with Chevron before and there was usually 2 weeks before any further interaction.

The organization is huge, so I would expect about 2 weeks before worrying at all. They told me that the wheels turn slowly there.

86 months ago

Thanks cdr. I hate to admit it ,but I was starting to worry alittle bit...

86 months ago

I know the feeling. Try to hold out for 2 weeks and then give them a ring if they gave you a number. From what I hear, they are pretty good about getting back to you for better or worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

First interview 7/07
First day of work 10/07

Things move S L O W L Y at Chevron. The place is HUGE. Just don't give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

L03 in Midland, Texas

85 months ago

Does anyone know how long it take to go through the Pr-employment Process with Cheveron I was offered a job the first of October and it is now going into the third week of October?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

libran07 in Fremont, California

85 months ago

Does anyone knows the kind of questions that Chevron IT department normally ask?

I'm having my phone interview tomorrow, and *crossing my fingers* hopefully I can get an on-site interview after the phone call tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

WP in Mandeville, Louisiana

85 months ago

I might be able to help you with some of the general questions, but nothing specifically related to IT. What's your email?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

CDR in San Leandro, California

85 months ago

Depends on your position. The IT dept. is actually the ITC or IT Company under the Chevron corporate umbrella. The positions range from VERY technical to not technical at all. Which are you?

CDR in San Leandro, California

85 months ago

L03 in Midland, Texas said: Does anyone know how long it take to go through the Pr-employment Process with Cheveron I was offered a job the first of October and it is now going into the third week of October?

Mine was just under 2 weeks. It can take upwards of 3 weeks. Usually they start pressuring the background check company if it gets into the 3 week area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WP in Mandeville, Louisiana

85 months ago

CDR,
Thanks for all the insight about Chevron taking so long.

In my case I had my phone interview in Sept. and won't be interviewing until late Nov. early Dec.. But if all goes well i'll start in early Jan., and you were right things move VERY SLOW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

There really aren't any specific questions that are asked by the company. I interviewed for two positions in IT and both interviews were totally different. The first was essentially a quiz. They tested my knowledge of technology. In the second interview they just talked about my work history, my goals and what sparked my interest in Chevron. All very general and "normal" interview questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MARTHA ARAGON in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

cdr in San Francisco, California said: i applied last friday and had an interview yesterday. 4 business days for me. wish me luck gang!

YEAH GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND WHAT POSITION DID YOU APPLIED TO, DO YOU KNOW OF ANYONE THAT WORKS IN THE REFINERY?...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Doy ad in Sugar Land, Texas

83 months ago

I have an interview in the PSAT dept...does anyone know the types of questions they 'll ask at chevron. It doesnt matter if they are general or not. Thanks

Doy ad in Sugar Land, Texas

83 months ago

WP, my email is bolaj78@yahoo.com for the general questions. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.