Working at CVS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

Cvsslave in barnesville, Georgia

72 months ago

Wonder if Tom Ryan got the information he needed from us little folks that actually wait on the customers that made his company profitable when he wanted this to be the top company to work for in 2008. I doubt it. THEY want us to provide good customer service yet, THEY cut our hours and make it impossible to provide what THEY insist on. If, THEY would take off their suits and ties and come work beside us, then maybe THEY would realize Black and White on paper does not always work in reality. I feel used. I love my store, my customers, and my job. I'm from a small town on the edge of our district. Rarely do I see my district manager. We have been through 7 managers in the last 3 years. Promote from within? LOL No one has even asked if anyone in our store is interested in advancement. After 5 years of dedicated service ie: operating one of the top 4 stores in our district for weeks without a manager, being called in to cover when other team members call out, driving to the bank in our personal car without being paid mileage, etc. THEY respond by cutting our hours. What a Thank You for going the extra mile! THEY just bought Long pharmacy's in California and Hawaii, yet they can't afford for the employees that they have to work enough hours to make a living. If, I didn't have the emotional connection with my customers, I would also look for another job. There is not an avenue to vent or any way to speak to anyone about district problems without the threat of loosing one's job. Top company to work for? Tom Ryan please contact the little people and don't send us some preprogram survey to see what we think! If you come to our store just tap the bell on the front counter. I promise we will quit one of the three or four jobs we are doing and will greet you with a smile and when it is your turn, our one cashier will give you the best customer service you will receive anywhere in our town! Please consider this an invitation to visit our store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

try-n-2-hang-in-there in Georgia

62 months ago

Tom is not going to bother to make the bottom line any different. We are all just pee-ons, the crumbs that fell between the cracks to rot until someone else comes along to sweep us away and take our place. We are replacable as they put it if we suggest anything that is not there idea of how it should be ran. Anyone who agrees with the way the mgmt is treated must be either planning on becomming a corporate big-wig or is already one. No one likes to be treated the way CVS corporate treats its employees at store level. Oh and don't forget the customers who like to use the mutiple coupons and try to use coupon fraud to save themselves a penny, and when you turn them down on a coupon you know is fraudalant you later get repremanded for bad customer service because that customer called in a complaint on your service. Your told you can be fined, locked up and fired if you use coupon fraud

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No Reply - Report abuse

LOVELIFE09 in Rhode Island

62 months ago

CVS treats all their employees with little respect at all levels ! They don't layoff people , No ! They walk out people after 20/30 yrs of dediciated servive !They come up with some stupid excuses , write up a false evaluation report and the person is without a job , AFTER DEDICATING YRS OF THEIR LIVES !! Check with anyone at the CVS corp. office , it's a well know fact !

CVS has absolutely nothing to be proud IE BELIEVE EVERY DOG HAS IT'S DAY , CVS will never be the number one pharmacy !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LOVELIFE09 in Rhode Island

59 months ago

butch335 in Houston, Texas said: First of all. I worked for CVS as an assistant manager for 1 yr. Let me tell you to pass this one by. There is no respect for individuals. Salaried means that CVS owns you! You are treated like a slave. 10 to 14 hrs a day is not uncommon at CVS. Be prepared to work a 6 or 7 day work week. You will be given no lunches or breaks. No one listens to you if you complain about the long hours that you are working. HR manager and the district managers do not care. You usually receive your schedule on Sat nite for Sun of the next week. (The next day)...Oh did I mention there is no help you are somtimes in the store alone. You have to fight to take your vacation that you have earned. There is always an excuse why you cant take it. ie, holidays, no help, whatever. For the most part it is a very hostile work enviornment. Please save yourself the headache....Do not get hired with this company...

As I've mentioned before , CVS has nothing to be proud about how they treat their current and past employeess ! The sad part is that many good people work for them and they just don't appreciate them ! I would say the majority of people that currently are working for them would prefer to leave and work somewhere else , yet the economy forces them to stay ! I know pharmacists , techs and corporate office employees that think the whole CVS management is a joke and YES IT IS !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nunyo bussiness in Bolivia

54 months ago

butch335 in Houston, Texas said: First of all. I worked for CVS as an assistant manager for 1 yr. Let me tell you to pass this one by. There is no respect for individuals. Salaried means that CVS owns you! You are treated like a slave. 10 to 14 hrs a day is not uncommon at CVS. Be prepared to work a 6 or 7 day work week. You will be given no lunches or breaks. No one listens to you if you complain about the long hours that you are working. HR manager and the district managers do not care. You usually receive your schedule on Sat nite for Sun of the next week. (The next day)...Oh did I mention there is no help you are somtimes in the store alone. You have to fight to take your vacation that you have earned. There is always an excuse why you cant take it. ie, holidays, no help, whatever. For the most part it is a very hostile work enviornment. Please save yourself the headache....Do not get hired with this company...

THIS MAN HAS IT SPOT ON. i was an assistant manager for 3 years. i trained 'new' store managers how to run a cvs pharmacy while earning 30% less than them.

NOONE CARES ABOUT YOU AT CVS PHARMACY. VERY CUT THROAT, VERY LOW PAY WITH LITTLE/NO RAISES.

EVERYONE IS UNDER SO MUCH PRESSURE, MOST MEMBERS OF MANAGEMENT RESORT TO FOUL, IMMORAL, AND DISPICABLE MEASURES TO SHOW PROFIT.

may you burn in hell TOM RYAN and screw you STANLEY GOLDSTEIN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

butch335 in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

sunshine in Lincoln Park, Michigan said: People are on the payroll and don't even step foot in the building.................

That is true on store I was in we were paying 8 different people most of who I never met or saw once in the whole time I was there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vpatel81 in Fords, New Jersey

47 months ago

CVS/Pharmacy cares way to much about their fiscal year reports to the Wall Street Journal then anything else. They will cut hours and completely disrespect their employees. Most of the time there is one Manager/Shift Manager and a cashier/clerk on duty in the front store and a pharmacist with one technician in the pharmacy. Not only does this mean they we work three or four people worth of work, but store ratings also go down. Customers are tired of waiting to be assisted, rung up, etc. And when these ratings go down, middle management blames line management and everyone under them. Complete disrespect. Every employee is entitled to a 30 minute break if they are working 6+ hours where I work. Employees are not even allowed to leave the store for their break simply because there is only one other person working the front (manager/shift manager). Sometimes employees cannot even take breaks because of the amount of work presented, yet CVS will still cut the 30 minutes out of your pay check. Also, the payroll system has messed up so many paychecks. I encourage everyone to count their hours beforehand and double check them on your checks because employees have been ripped off so many times. And when we tell middle management all this, they simply say "That's not an excuse"... that should be CVS's new slogan! There got to be something we can do to get them back and make working conditions A LOT better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

George Karl in babylon, New York

33 months ago

This cooperation is and has been a huge problem for the employee's working there for a very long time. You can just Google "CVS", and there are several links/blogs/forums; explaining how corrupt this company is, However the only way to truly do something about it, is to SPEAK UP, If everyone that worked for CVS demanded their 30 minute break (regardless of production), they would get one. If your manager is nasty and disrespectful, simply ask them for the DM's phone number and watch them squirm. SPEAK UP. Everyone at CVS has a boss they have to answer to, always keep that in mind. There are currently 7,182 CVS's, and since 2005...i'm sure they're more now, (80,000) employees, the customers keep the store in business. Although, on the contrary... Isn't it the employee's that keep the store running?? SPEAK UP, it's harder for them to fire you, than it is for you to quit!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep in mind, there's always Wallgreens and Eckerd Drug stores, so stop it with the Economy excuses. SPEAK UP and stop whining.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

whatever girl in Brookhaven, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

My friend was short over 100.00 missibg from her till. She was fired but now she is very scared that cops are going to show up at her house. Does anyone here know what cvs does when you are that short? Do they just fire you or do they take some kind of legal action?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jackie in New York, New York

30 months ago

whatever girl in Brookhaven, Pennsylvania said: My friend was short over 100.00 missibg from her till. She was fired but now she is very scared that cops are going to show up at her house. Does anyone here know what cvs does when you are that short? Do they just fire you or do they take some kind of legal action?

they will go after you for one single penny!! greedy corporation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

catrpillrgirl in Washington, District of Columbia

23 months ago

I can't begin to tell you how CVS is the worst company that I have EVER worked for! But right now I have a question I wonder if anyone can answer. I have worked for CVS more than 4 years, full-time since day one. Come to find out they never changed me from Part-Time status in the system, although I was told I was. I called Human Resources, who were very unhelpful, and was told the store manager has to change it. I talked to him and was told he has no full-time status to give, unless I was a supervisor. I know this is untrue. So, I get no full-time benefits, and no vacation. Well, after 4 years I want a *paid* vacation. I think I deserve it, and if this isn't illegal, its certainly unethical. I wonder if I should call the DM and demand a vacation, or is this a waste of time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

catrpillrgirl in Washington, District of Columbia

23 months ago

By the way, I'm only now getting one paid 5 minute break because I mentioned that in the handbook it clearly says we're entitled to 2 paid 15 minute breaks. In 4 years I was never given a 15 minute break, I was told "we don't do that here." Once, a new supervisor that knew the law gave me a paid break and the store manager told him, "don't give her a break, we don't do that." And yeah, the schedule for the week that starts on sunday is posted on fridays. Makes it sort of hard to make doctor's appointments and such.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

UsedRph in Madison, Alabama

21 months ago

LOVELIFE09 in Rhode Island said: As I've mentioned before , CVS has nothing to be proud about how they treat their current and past employeess ! The sad part is that many good people work for them and they just don't appreciate them ! I would say the majority of people that currently are working for them would prefer to leave and work somewhere else , yet the economy forces them to stay ! I know pharmacists , techs and corporate office employees that think the whole CVS management is a joke and YES IT IS !

CVS = Come Visit Satan. CVS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

vpatel81 in Fords, New Jersey said: CVS /Pharmacy cares way to much about their fiscal year reports to the Wall Street Journal then anything else. They will cut hours and completely disrespect their employees. Most of the time there is one Manager/Shift Manager and a cashier / clerk on duty in the front store and a pharmacist with one technician in the pharmacy. Not only does this mean they we work three or four people worth of work, but store ratings also go down. Customers are tired of waiting to be assisted, rung up, etc. And when these ratings go down, middle management blames line management and everyone under them. Complete disrespect. Every employee is entitled to a 30 minute break if they are working 6+ hours where I work. Employees are not even allowed to leave the store for their break simply because there is only one other person working the front (manager/shift manager). Sometimes employees cannot even take breaks because of the amount of work presented, yet CVS will still cut the 30 minutes out of your pay check. Also, the payroll system has messed up so many paychecks. I encourage everyone to count their hours beforehand and double check them on your checks because employees have been ripped off so many times. And when we tell middle management all this, they simply say "That's not an excuse"... that should be CVS's new slogan! There got to be something we can do to get them back and make working conditions A LOT better.

What else can you expect from Come Visit Satan. or CVS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

nunyo bussiness in Bolivia said: THIS MAN HAS IT SPOT ON. i was an assistant manager for 3 years. i trained 'new' store managers how to run a cvs pharmacy while earning 30% less than them.

NOONE CARES ABOUT YOU AT CVS PHARMACY. VERY CUT THROAT, VERY LOW PAY WITH LITTLE/NO RAISES.

EVERYONE IS UNDER SO MUCH PRESSURE, MOST MEMBERS OF MANAGEMENT RESORT TO FOUL, IMMORAL, AND DISPICABLE MEASURES TO SHOW PROFIT.
may you burn in hell TOM RYAN and screw you STANLEY GOLDSTEIN.

What else can one expect from Come Visit Satan or CVS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

21 months ago

Remember when there were a lot of drugstores? Rite Aid, etc? Now, it's CVS or Walgreens, another crappy place.

No one cares, and you can't blame them. No one values employees because they can always find another.

With the population climbing and the tsunami of people coming into America, it's going to get worse.

I can't stand these pols, of EITHER party, who pretend to represent us. Thomas Jefferson was right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

21 months ago

catrpillrgirl in Washington, District of Columbia said: By the way, I'm only now getting one paid 5 minute break because I mentioned that in the handbook it clearly says we're entitled to 2 paid 15 minute breaks. In 4 years I was never given a 15 minute break, I was told "we don't do that here." Once, a new supervisor that knew the law gave me a paid break and the store manager told him, "don't give her a break, we don't do that." And yeah, the schedule for the week that starts on sunday is posted on fridays. Makes it sort of hard to make doctor's appointments and such.

A lot of places don't even give a lunch. Yeah, they'll say you get a half hour lunch on your schedule but when there is work to do, one doesn't dare go to lunch. No one complains, and if you complain, you're a lone voice in the wilderness now. People are pushovers for employers.

armymafia07 in Houston, Texas

13 months ago

I work at CVS now and I don't have any complaints My district manager is awesome and very honest she comes in on a regular basis to see how things are going with everyone and the store. My store manager is amazing hr is understanding and very patient. We get our lunches and our breaks. When we complain about something it gets taken care of. I don't like someone getting discounts if they don't have a CVS card so we took it up with our manager and now we don't have a universal card if the customer doesn't have a card then they get no savings. Our store is very successful in our district. The company it self isn't bad, but there are obviously some bad eggs in the bunch but those people make it bad because they are in charge but it's not the company it self it's the people in charge at those specific locations.I have no complaints at all accept I wish I would have been working before I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

worst decision ever in Port Saint Joe, Florida

13 months ago

armymafia07 in Houston, Texas said: I work at CVS now and I don't have any complaints My district manager is awesome and very honest she comes in on a regular basis to see how things are going with everyone and the store. My store manager is amazing hr is understanding and very patient. We get our lunches and our breaks. When we complain about something it gets taken care of. I don't like someone getting discounts if they don't have a CVS card so we took it up with our manager and now we don't have a universal card if the customer doesn't have a card then they get no savings. Our store is very successful in our district. The company it self isn't bad, but there are obviously some bad eggs in the bunch but those people make it bad because they are in charge but it's not the company it self it's the people in charge at those specific locations.I have no complaints at all accept I wish I would have been working before I did.

You must not have been working for them very long. I worked for them for 6+ years and EVERYTHING that has been said is right on the money. I have worked for two companies in two different districts and ultimately they have all been the same.CVS doesn't care about anything other than the money that is going in there pocket.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

DumbBlondePharmD in Richmond, Virginia

8 months ago

I agree whole-heartedly with everything said above. I'm a pharmacist at CVS and am often forced to work understaffed and told that if the state board comes in and sees I'm working at a store busy enough for even CVS to allow more than 4 techs at a time, I'm supposed to say the other techs are something else like cashiers or phone callers because they are too cheep to pay for another pharmacist (the state board ratio is 4:1). I never find adequate time to eat, go to the bathroom, or drink water and can be scheduled 13 hour days. I have gone so hypoglycemic at work I've had to eat glucose tablets to not faint while giving shots and checking RX's I can barely even see at that point my blood sugar is too low. I confronted my pharmacy supervisor about this 30 minute break the hand book says we get and he said we don't and there's nothing he can do about it.

Better.luck.next.time in Waterford, New York

8 months ago

catrpillrgirl in Washington, District of Columbia said: By the way, I'm only now getting one paid 5 minute break because I mentioned that in the handbook it clearly says we're entitled to 2 paid 15 minute breaks. In 4 years I was never given a 15 minute break, I was told "we don't do that here." Once, a new supervisor that knew the law gave me a paid break and the store manager told him, "don't give her a break, we don't do that." And yeah, the schedule for the week that starts on sunday is posted on fridays. Makes it sort of hard to make doctor's appointments and such.

I believe 2 paid 15 minute breaks is a labor law. Not sure if it is federal or state.

Better.luck.next.time in Waterford, New York

8 months ago

CVS customer here. I'm beginning to develop a talent for recognizing companies that attract great people but don't treat them as such after they are hired.

I love my local CVS, but I attribute that to the great people who work there. I often visit in the early morning hours. There is sunlight blasting through the window on to the registers and on the print machines. The poor employees have trouble seeing the register, the customers squint at the cashier.

I've contacted the customer service line of the corporation to complain. I suggested that they offer some help to this store as they are great workers and could use an upper management solution - having something built. I even suggested materials. I also found out that the problem has been identified before. I was assured something would be done. I tried to map out the situation, suggest low cost alternatives, etc. I made sure I expressed that the store had EXCELLENT, HARDWORKING EMPLOYEES.

Still nothing has been done.

I'm not going to stop going there, but WTF? Help the d@mn store out. Those people are excellent workers and deserve modest comforts. There should be a district manager that gets in their to help them. But who knows, maybe they don't even have district managers.

As a customer, I hardly care about my discomfort, but I can't express how angry I am that they can't get someone's @ss in there to make the working conditions for the employees who have been there to help me with over the counter meds, precription meds, household needs from 8 in the morning until 9pm at night.

Working Man in Farmington, Michigan

5 months ago

I've been looking for a job after having to move recently and this has been very eye opening! I come from a unionized store and the kind of problems you folks are describing is exactly what the union was there for. The union negotiated better wages for reasonable hours, a seniority system that respected how long people have worked there, and a grievance procedure that made management listen to reasonable complaints and actually do something about it, not to mention enforcing workers' rights like 15-minute breaks and overtime. If you think you're going to be at CVS longer than a week, I would look into some unions around you.

AngelsRule62 in Leominster, Massachusetts

3 months ago

I read some of the comments above and couldn't agree more. This whole thing about pushing Customer Service and making sure the customer feels taken care of. What about "US" the employees who make that happen. The way we are treated is disgusting. We work hard, come in every time we're scheduled, never late and because of cut in hours we are offered a lay off which turn into actually being terminated without any reason for it. I'm furious with them. They took a job I loved and turned it into absolute hate for the company. All of my friends and family will no longer do business with them. They are so two faced when it comes to how they treat good employees and customers.

3 months ago

Cvsslave in barnesville, Georgia said: Wonder if Tom Ryan got the information he needed from us little folks that actually wait on the customers that made his company profitable when he wanted this to be the top company to work for in 2008. I doubt it. THEY want us to provide good customer service yet, THEY cut our hours and make it impossible to provide what THEY insist on. If, THEY would take off their suits and ties and come work beside us, then maybe THEY would realize Black and White on paper does not always work in reality. I feel used. I love my store, my customers, and my job. I'm from a small town on the edge of our district. Rarely do I see my district manager . We have been through 7 managers in the last 3 years. Promote from within? LOL No one has even asked if anyone in our store is interested in advancement. After 5 years of dedicated service ie: operating one of the top 4 stores in our district for weeks without a manager, being called in to cover when other team members call out, driving to the bank in our personal car without being paid mileage, etc. THEY respond by cutting our hours. What a Thank You for going the extra mile! THEY just bought Long pharmacy's in California and Hawaii, yet they can't afford for the employees that they have to work enough hours to make a living. If, I didn't have the emotional connection with my customers, I would also look for another job. There is not an avenue to vent or any way to speak to anyone about district problems without the threat of loosing one's job. Top company to work for? Tom Ryan please contact the little people and don't send us some preprogram survey to see what we think! If you come to our store just tap the bell on the front counter. I promise we will quit one of the three or four jobs we are doing and will greet you with a smile and when it is your turn, our one cashier will give you the best customer service you will receive anywhere in our town! Please consider this an invitation to vi

3 months ago

WOW, it's amazing to hear that other employees have been unfairly treated and couldn't agree with you more about how they cut your hours and expect the same
service and work to be completed. CVS has a lot to learn about how to treat good employees and promote good rapport with good employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Curiously Curious in Rome, Georgia

3 months ago

This is why I laughed and watched my store crumble when I left. 5 years I gave, Vacation time I sacrificed, raises that I earned but did not receive. Being given more responsibility that I didn't ask for as the Regional Satellite Photo Lab Supervisor and Trainer without a pay increase! Holidays to spend with my family, I spent in a 24hr CVS because "I'm reliable, I'm the best at Customer Service, I'm really good at running the entire front of the store," No I was a door mat for you, and you didn't understand the weight I pulled in there....until I was gone, LOL! Jackasses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.