CVS will make your life miserable when you are a Store Manager

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

ManagerJoe in Columbus Area, Ohio

27 months ago

Just wanted to put myself out there for Q&A. I was a long time CVS Store Manager, and have recently left the company. Ask me anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

26 months ago

Isn't management level at pretty much every major retailer a bunch of needing to eat crap? Just saying. I've never seen a manager who was particularly thrilled to be there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

@Sickofcommuting50miles.......the assistant manager TRAINING position is fine at CVS--you will start at more than 20K---I think the avg starting pay is closer to 30K for asst mgr trainees. It is an hourly position until you are fully trained (40 hours per week), and then you go salary. Once you go salary, this is when the company will use, and ABUSE you. Plan on working 6 days a week and minimum 10 hours each day---and remember, you are SALARY at this point---you do not get paid for overtime. You are paid 45 hours per week no matter how many hours you work. Now, if you survive the Asst mgr program and actually get considered for a Store Manager position, this is when things really get interesting.
There are two types of Store Managers at CVS. One that runs a high volume store, and LOVES their job, and one the runs a low volume store and HATES their job.
Here is the reason: If you run a high volume store, the District Manager will kiss your ass, and give you all kinds of budget hours to keep the store perfect, and running well so that they don't lose the sales of this store. You will have more than enough hours to run your store (4-5 people each shift) and be able to work 45 hours a week and take two days off EVERY week.
Now, if you run a lower volume store, the DM and the company could care less about you. You will get LESS THAN the minimum hours needed to have 2 people for each shift---which means you, as the Store manager, will be in the store ALONE for several hours each week. For example, the store I ran was open 7-10 7 days a week. That's 210 hours (2 people per shift) that is required to run the store. The last year that I ran the store, my budgeted hours given to me by the DM was 200 hours per week. 10 hours less than needed--so who do you think works that extra 10 hours??? The store manager---which pretty much means you are working an extra day---so, you are lucky to get one day off per week. That's all for now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

@ Nick in Somerville.....yes, it takes a special person to work at the management level at most corporate owned retail chains. I guess there are some people that don't mind working 60-70 hours per week, and having no life outside the store. I did it for 8 years at CVS, and it wasn't for me. (I'm surprise I lasted that long).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Cody Pointer in Jackson, Michigan

26 months ago

Hey Joe:

Just curious, if you quit on the spot, is it true that there is NO way to every be employed by CVS again? My store manager absolutely adored me. I quit for a number of reasons. I'm asking this because I am unsure if the Store Manager was just saying that to convince me to stay.

I should note that I spoke to her regarding my issues two times prior, and felt my concerns were heard by deaf ears. Again, she absolutely loved having me and gave me a 'private' meeting every time the customer service results came in each month (cannot remember the name now). This was so she could say things like, "i believe you can singlehandedly turn these numbers around", and to get negative information about my co-workers.

I have provided you with the information regarding her likeness of me & my abilities because I am unaware if this has any type of impact on my original question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

shola in Providence, Rhode Island

24 months ago

ManagerJoe in Columbus Area, Ohio said: Just wanted to put myself out there for Q&A. I was a long time CVS Store Manager, and have recently left the company. Ask me anything.

Hello,

Please tell me not to take the assistant manger job at cvs. I have 2 little kisd and a husband. I have a job now but i want to be a manager. I currently work 8 to 4pm monday thru friday and off on the weekend. My job has good benefit but the pay is small and and almost thru with my masters degree. I need a better paying job but no stress. is it thru the hours is rediculous? Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kknightbhm in Birmingham, Alabama

23 months ago

Joe, Many years ago I was hired to take over a retail store that was ranked 250 out of 250. Within 18 months I had that store in the top 15% for new growth and development. I did so through exceptional customer service and by treating my employees with dignity and respect. Do you think it is possible within the CVS family to grow a store's business based on the type of customer service offered? For example, my local CVS employees are friendly enough, but rarely do I see them go above and beyond to help anyone other than from behind the checkout counter. Just wondering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

plantgirl04 in Greenback, Tennessee

17 months ago

Sickofcommuting50miles in Rutland, Vermont said: I am curious to hear about your experience. I am currently an assistant manager at a fairly decent sized company. I work 40 hours a week and make roughly 20k per year. I get paid hourly, and would be more than happy to work 55-60 hours a week if it meant better pay. What makes cvs a bad management oppotunity? And if you don't mind me asking, how is the pay and benefits? There is a current opening at a local CVS and I am sick of commuting 50 miles one way to an outdoors sales position in 100 degree heat, where customers are always grumpy. I don't want to even bother applying at CVS if it's worse than my current position. Thanks.

I worked as an assistant for CVS for over three years. Wasn't a bad place to work at all. The hours where long, but that all depends on who your manager is and also the district manager. After about six months we started working six days a week without any extra pay because we were on salary. Since then they have stopped that and put the assistant's to an hourly wage. I made decent money. 15+ an hour. Benefits were good as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

jancastro in Bronx, New York

16 months ago

How can I become a manager,I'm a current cashier clerk working at CVS Pharmacy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lenoraann8 in Greenville, North Carolina

15 months ago

ManagerJoe in Columbus Area, Ohio said: Just wanted to put myself out there for Q&A. I was a long time CVS Store Manager, and have recently left the company. Ask me anything.

I worked at CVS for 9 months after a car accident ,they let me go said a customer did like the way I treated them. come to find out I was not in the store that day, the unemployment office said they were wrong. But now I'm worried about what they will tell other company about me. Please tell me what you think . Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

lenoraann8 in Greenville, North Carolina

15 months ago

shola in Providence, Rhode Island said: Hello,

Please tell me not to take the assistant manger job at cvs. I have 2 little kisd and a husband. I have a job now but i want to be a manager. I currently work 8 to 4pm monday thru friday and off on the weekend. My job has good benefit but the pay is small and and almost thru with my masters degree. I need a better paying job but no stress. is it thru the hours is rediculous? Thank you

Get the pay you want and know before than this job. I was not treat well, because of my age. Please find out everything before you do this. Some stores may be better than others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Bowling Green, Kentucky

12 months ago

What type of pre employment drug testing do they do for store manager?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

salemgule in Westport, Massachusetts

7 months ago

@ManagerJoe, I'm very curious to hear your responses to the following individuals questions:
==========================================================
*Cody Pointer
--"if you quit on the spot, is it true that there is NO way to every be employed by
CVS again?"
*Sickofcommuting50miles
--"Just out of curiosity, are the benefits good?"
*Shola
--"is it true that the hours are ridiculous?"
*kknightbhm
--Do you think it is possible within the CVS family to grow a store's
business based on the type of customer service offered?"
*jancastro
--"How can I become a manager?
(I'm a current cashier clerk working at CVS Pharmacy)"
*Anonymous
--"What type of pre employment drug testing do they do for store
manager?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

salemgurl in Westport, Massachusetts

7 months ago

@ManagerJoe,

Currently, Rhode Island has a handful of Mgmt positions available and Mgmt Trainee.

I'm seriously thinking about applying for the Mgmt Trainee position (because I've never had any management experience although, I have my Bachelor's Degree).

Q1. I'd like to work 2nd shift only....is it possible to go into the interview letting the company know I'm only available for 2nd shift while I attend classes during the day? or will they quickly disregard me?

Q2. How does CVS decide which Mgr or Mgmt Trainee to place in a high volume store vs low volume? (your descriptions are helpful and thought provoking).

I don't want to jump into fire working for an unhealthy company that treats its employees like cattle and overworks them with no bonuses or benefits attached except life's learning lessons. (boo)

Hoping you will respond soon!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

johnhillo1970@gmail.com in East Granby, Connecticut

6 months ago

What does the manager of a busy store make a yr?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

banksT in Houston, Texas

5 months ago

I have a interview tomorrow for cashiering at CVS. I am not sure how much the hourly rate will be. Can you please fill me? How is the interview what type of questions are asked. Honestly, I really need this job is because I been unemployed for months and need some quick cash to pay the bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

banksT in Houston, Texas

5 months ago

banksT in Houston, Texas said: I have a interview tomorrow for cashiering at CVS. I am not sure how much the hourly rate will be. Can you please fill me? How is the interview what type of questions are asked. Honestly, I really need this job is because I been unemployed for months and need some quick cash to pay the bills. Also, how many hours will they possible work me it suppose to part-time, and I need sometime a little flexible until I found a more permanent job. I am good if its at least 25 hours a week.

Momof4 in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

5 months ago

ManagerJoe in Columbus Area, Ohio said: Just wanted to put myself out there for Q&A. I was a long time CVS Store Manager , and have recently left the company. Ask me anything.

Can you tell me if they will drug test me for a cashier job?

Momof4 in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

4 months ago

ManagerJoe in Columbus Area, Ohio said: Just wanted to put myself out there for Q&A. I was a long time CVS Store Manager , and have recently left the company. Ask me anything.

Can you tell me if they will drug test me for a cashier job?

RetailMgr

4 months ago

I went to CVS as an assistant manager - 50k a year and a solid DM. got my own store - low volume. DMs changed and it all went downhill FAST.
I found my hours cut 200 or less and working 90 hours a week. little support from my DM.
conflicting communication on priorities (I set my Christmas set 3 different ways because the DM and RVP weren't on the same page as far as expectations)

I became fed up - yes retail can always be tough, but CVS was a horrible career experience.

don't do it... it's not worth the compensation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

melmel in Lillington, North Carolina

4 months ago

banksT in Houston, Texas said:

the questions they ask depends on the manager, but cashiers will almost always start at minimum wage. If you have experience in retail, they may raise that 50 cents or $1 at the most.

Poison Ivy in Reno, Nevada

3 months ago

Hey, Joe! Is it true that you'll likely to get terminated if you void transactions or items?

Angry Lori

2 months ago

There is a particular pharmacist at CVS that refused to fill my prescriptions for reasons unknown. All the other pharmacists are fine and fill my prescriptions when they are due as needed but she always makes up lame excuses to not fill them. I have to then drive accross town to fill them at a different CVS when she is working. What should I do I want her to stop inconveniencing me? Thanks so much for sharing.

Angry Lori

2 months ago

Angry Lori said: There is a particular pharmacist at CVS that refused to fill my prescriptions for reasons unknown. All the other pharmacists are fine and fill my prescriptions when they are due as needed but she always makes up lame excuses to not fill them. I have to then drive accross town to fill them at a different CVS when she is working. What should I do I want her to stop inconveniencing me? Thanks so much for sharing.

"refuses" not "refuesed" typo

Angry Lori

2 months ago

I want to report her to her boss. I did already make a former complaint on-line but I want to do more. I was recently in a car accident and am in allot of pain. I have been driving to the next town for a different CVS when she is working its a major inconvenient. Thanks again.

Derek6722 in Florida

2 months ago

I can tell you that I've worked at CVS for about 6 months now...I started as a Shift Supervisor Trainee, got promoted within 3 months to Shift Supervisor A, then 2 weeks later got promoted to an Assistant Manager. I should note that my experience with this company is uncommon, because I had a significant retail management background BEFORE coming to CVS and they didn't realize it until after I was hired. At CVS you've really got to show them, that your worth something...valuable to them as a corporation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Confused... in Knoxville, Tennessee

2 months ago

Ok, as I am reading these comments, I am confused. Retail management isn't for everyone. A Store Manager should not have to work more than 50 hours a week. If you are, then you are not trusting your colleagues as much as you should. I am an Assistant Manager here and all of my Store Managers have taken 2 days off... IN A ROW!!... I know that may seem shocking but we stay afloat and our district is number one in the area in most metrics... So, this post baffles me. A Store Manager does exactly what his/her title says, they MANAGE... Delegate, teach, coach... all of these simple tasks will make your store run so much smoother... and as for some of everyone else's questions... you can be fired for voids and transaction voids, if you are trying to "sweetheart" or steal from the company... that is all... Drug tests are based in the state... Some states require them for all employment... Some states don't but CVS requires all "management and pharmacy employees" get a drug screening prior to employment...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

terralnocgnita in Cleveland, Ohio

1 month ago

Confused... in Knoxville, Tennessee said: Ok, as I am reading these comments, I am confused. Retail management isn't for everyone. A Store Manager should not have to work more than 50 hours a week. If you are, then you are not trusting your colleagues as much as you should. I am an Assistant Manager here and all of my Store Managers have taken 2 days off... IN A ROW!!... I know that may seem shocking but we stay afloat and our district is number one in the area in most metrics... So, this post baffles me. A Store Manager does exactly what his/her title says, they MANAGE... Delegate, teach, coach... all of these simple tasks will make your store run so much smoother... and as for some of everyone else's questions... you can be fired for voids and transaction voids, if you are trying to "sweetheart" or steal from the company... that is all... Drug tests are based in the state... Some states require them for all employment... Some states don't but CVS requires all "management and pharmacy employees" get a drug screening prior to employment...

having everyone well trained will make the store run smoother-however, all the well trained employees in the world will not help if you don't have the hours to pay them. the reality is, when you have a busy store two people running it isn't enough. you can't delegate work to people who aren't there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

terralncognita in Cleveland, Ohio

1 month ago

CantHandleThe Stress in Escondido, California said: which is impossible so you end up working through your lunch and skipping breaks because you either have nobody to cover you or you know that if this stuff isn't all done within the given amount of time, you are in trouble of some level...and already being short staff you have someone call in sick or what not which spreads you out thinner. meanwhile you your DM and GM are telling there are NO EXCUSES and if you get caught working off clock, you get fired....no overtime allowed and if you go on break with no coverage, you are in trouble. If you dont meet criteria, you are in trouble. And everything is on TIME CONSTRAINTS and that my dear is just me as a SHIFT. I can't even fathom being an A.S. or S.M. at their pay. Which I think is NOTHING for the amount of work and stress we are all under. The greatest female dog slap in the face are two things. ONE, we get our schedule weekly. The new work week starts on a Sunday and we do not get our schedule for the week (if lucky) the Wednesday prior...on average that Thursday or Friday prior. Your days off are rarely the same and the hours are of that of a roller coaster...make that 3 roller coaster's combined. Try having a personal life when your home life is focused on what tie to go to bed based around your schedule for the week. Second favorite? How much perfectly in tact merchandise and food get's thrown in the trash on a daily basis! I am talking between the dollar amount of $100 to $1000 a day. Imagine that, in ONE store how much is thrown away monthly? Imagine how much in the district!? Region!? Nationally? They literally have money to throw away and yet they dont have money for payroll budget more or less better hourly pay? Or more than thirty five cent raise yearly? This company is a corporate mafia shark that eats you alive and bottles your soul....and it's hard to get out.

this is absolutely 100% accurate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.