How to get a job at Dell.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 56)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Dell? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Janie in Austin, Texas

90 months ago

I also work for Dell. I would not recommend this company to anyone except those few who enjoy working 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Impossible jobs, muddled processes, and everyone's so stressed that they are falling apart mentally and emotionally. The worst job I've had in my 25-year career. I'm leaving as well - but I'm making it happen at the end of next month. No sane person would work here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Won't Say in Brooklyn, New York

89 months ago

So I got called for a Team Lead position in the tri-state area...I'd imagine one would have to work very hard for a company like this, but at the interview, they sold their work-life balance pretty highly.

Though, perhaps it WAS a bad sign that the pregnant wife of one of the interviewers, on speakerphone, was having a baby or something! Yikes!

I dunno, the price may be right, but at what cost...?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

David in Corpus Christi, Texas

87 months ago

I was an engineer/architect consultant for DELL in Round Rock - Bldng. 2. Dell's 3200 man IT department is filled with incompetent managers who believe process is more important than making a decision. The contact center group is filled with no direction and frustration. Dell has had programs which have to do with customer avoidance and in the past they turned off customer service switches to certain sites when there was heavy call traffic. There was a law suit over this. Internally, their CRM systems are still by TANDEM computers that are from H.P.! They have had 10+ years to move from Tandem to DELL based servers yet they still can't migrate over. DELL's Project Managers are more important than technologists. Process before all and ignorance prevails. It is without question the most idiot group of people to work with. Departments take control over one part of a server while others take control over yet another. Those who actually have a real brain (free thinkers) are stifled and tend to be upset over the "system". DO NOT WORK THERE if you have a mind! NOW: if you are a type "A" person AND love PROCESS.....maybe you might like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Hermitage, Tennessee

87 months ago

This "server" support is actually for a "pilot" program Dell is creating based on their acquiring Silverback Technologies out of Boston. They are going to start with 15 clients and expect to go up to something like 14,000 clients by the end of a 6 month expansion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymoose in Austin, Texas

87 months ago

They talk a good talk about the work-life balance thing, but it's all hat and no cattle.

Won't Say in Brooklyn, New York said: So I got called for a Team Lead position in the tri-state area...I'd imagine one would have to work very hard for a company like this, but at the interview, they sold their work-life balance pretty highly.

Though, perhaps it WAS a bad sign that the pregnant wife of one of the interviewers, on speakerphone, was having a baby or something! Yikes!

I dunno, the price may be right, but at what cost...?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

At Dell 15 years and Happy in Austin, Texas

86 months ago

BEL in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Do you have any suggestions for finding a project management position in Austin or who to work for?

I'm a long time Project Manager at Dell. There are ups and downs as far as work load, but in general, it's a great place to work. Lots of opportunities once you get in. Number one challege is getting our internal IT infastructure up to the speed of the business. Best way to get in? Network. Meet people who are already at Dell, PMO orgs, etc.

Other PjM jobs in Austin? AMD, IBM, and I hear HP is building a new data center here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Austin, Texas

86 months ago

I worked at Dell, and leaving was the best thing I have ever done. Think about it why you think the employees call it "DELL HELL". As far as the comment from the manager of 15 years - Dell Managers....do not have the work load or stress that regular employees have. The managers are the problem. Terrible Environment....STAY AWAY..unless you are a glutton for punishment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BEL in Colorado Springs, Colorado

86 months ago

So where is a good place to work in Austin for project management?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

At Dell 15 years and Happy in Austin, Texas

86 months ago

At Dell 15 years and Happy in Austin, Texas said: hello

I am a Project Manager, not a manager. Project Managers at Dell have no direct reports, and have to rely on their people skills to get things done since our real authority is nill.

As far as Dell, there are definitely good places to work within Dell, and there are not so good places. In general, PG (Product Group) has more funding than places like Services. If looking for a new position, it's always good to understand the different groups and pay structure. In my experience, cost centers (like Services) have less funding than profit centers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tamu2003_99 in Austin, Texas

86 months ago

Hello,

I’m looking at possibly trying to get a job as Project Manager for Dell in Roundrock. I've always thought Dell would be an interesting place to work. I currently work for the Department of the Army as a Government Civilian. I'm wondering if it is worth my while working for Dell? How much money could I make at Dell, and what are their Benefits?

I currently make around $75,000 a year, work 45 hours a week, get 4.5 weeks paid vacation, 5% matching for 401K, 104 hours of sick leave a year (which rolls over), I currently have over 400 hours of sick leave.

I'm tired of doing design work, and I'd like to try to use my MBA degree.

Would Dell be interested in somehow with my skill sets.

I have 4 years work experience, I have a degree in Civil Engineering for A&M University in College Station (3.67 GPA), and I got my Master's Degree In Business (MBA) last December from Tarleton (3.6 GPA). I manage over 30 construction projects a year at a worth of $25 Million dollars. I do develop my projects from cradle to grave. I work with Army Soldiers to develop projects that meet their needs, design all aspects of the project, negotiate, and manage these construction projects until completion.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tamu2003_99 in Austin, Texas

86 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Solana in Dallas, Texas

83 months ago

Dell is horrible in Oklahoma City. Stay away from this company. And their computers are not worth much as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gigem in Round Rock, Texas

81 months ago

At Dell 15 years and Happy in Austin, Texas said: I am a Project Manager, not a manager. Project Managers at Dell...

Dear At Dell 15 years and Happy in Austin, Texas,

Not sure if you will see this any time soon, but I'm currently looking at networking to try my hands at a PM type position at Dell. I'm currently a Supervisor @ DFS. If you would please look me up in the Global Directory by my first name, Darald.

And for everyone else, he's right, Dell may not be the perfect employer... But then again, who is? A company is only as good as it's employees make it!

Thanks,
Darald

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kirby in Dublin, Ireland

81 months ago

Hi "At Dell 15 years and Happy in Austin, Texas", I'm a PjM based in Dell Limerick Ireland, and am currently working on my green card. My plan is to network now within and without to apply for similar positions in Product Group or Services. This would provide continuity of service as well as lessen the change in the move of countries. In Dell 13 years in Oct 08, welcome your take or advice you may have re this approach.

Bateman in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

80 months ago

Attention sales people!
Beware calls from the Dell recruiter.

When I was desperately in need of a better job, I put out the usual feelers on the web and was contacted by an independent recruiter working on Dell's behalf.

She lured me with the prospect of a "senior sales position" in Oklahoma City which was fairly intriguing. She teased me up over potential salary, benefits, "solid" company, etc.

The interview, however, was something completely different. It was as if they had the wrong guy in the interview. This wasn't a so-called "senior" sales job, it was an entry-level gig at best. There was obviously a disconnect between the recruitment process and the actual hiring. When I brought up the discussions I'd had with the recruiter, they looked at me like I was crazy. Oh yeah, and had never even heard of said recruiter. Needless to say, I was not interested in a crappy, call-center hell job. After all, I was brought in to interview for a "senior" outside sales job which proved to be nonexistent.

It was a complete waste of time, was confusing and left me angry.
Most everyone I saw working that day also looked confused and had the fading look of hope in their eyes. What a joke of a company to use smoke and mirrors to recruit overqualified candidates.

PS: The Oklahoma City campus is built on top of a landfill. No joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah Sadowski in Crystal Lake, Illinois

80 months ago

wow!!!!! I am very nervous now. My husband has been interviewing for a position with Dell, not an IT job more of an HR job...but geeze I have never seen so much negativity coming from one source. We have a friend who works for Dell outside of Texas in Indiana and loves it as a "field engineer" He says he visits the Austin 'campus' several times a month and it is very nice. what do we do now if my husband gets an offer? We couldn't afford to have him laid off and we have a two yr old so familyh time is important to us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bateman in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

80 months ago

Sarah Sadowski in Crystal Lake, Illinois said: wow!!!!! I am very nervous now. My husband has been interviewing for a position with Dell, not an IT job more of an HR job...but geeze I have never seen so much negativity coming from one source. We have a friend who works for Dell outside of Texas in Indiana and loves it as a "field engineer" He says he visits the Austin 'campus' several times a month and it is very nice. what do we do now if my husband gets an offer? We couldn't afford to have him laid off and we have a two yr old so familyh time is important to us.

Sounds like you don't have much to worry about.

While my experience was very real, I severed our relationship as soon as I realized I'd been duped. It looks like your husband is interviewing for a legitimate job. Human Resources is usually treated very different from those expendable sales types.

I'd say good luck, hope for the best and watch your back.

whatgoesround in Austin, Texas

78 months ago

I've interviewed with Dell 8 times in the last 2 years and not had a job offer. That means taking off work a day, driving 30 miles each way for the interview, follow-up thank yous (usually interview with 4 to 8 managers each trip), as well as great stress from the interviews with "alpha males". What gives? - I have a good education, great experience, and have expressed a strong interest in the company, but they just don't go the next step. What am I doing wrong and why do they continue to call me for interviews if they don't think I'm a good candidate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DNG in Corpus Christi, Texas

78 months ago

You did nothing wrong. DELL operates with too many people in their IT dept. and Business unit. If you tried to get a job at Round Rock 1..the business unit it will take you forever as they are so anal. If you intent was to work for IT in RR 2..then multiple interviews are common. I was screened by 9 people in a single conference room. DELL is not worth it. TRUST ME. Too many TYPE "B"s who are so anal that nothing of value gets done. TRY HP..they are hiring and offer better benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Eddy Mitchell in Anaheim, California

78 months ago

I was just offer a job at IBM and DELL. Which company is a better choice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Working for DELL in Springville, New York

59 months ago

To: Latongie Holland

In these times any job I guess is better than none. However: Dell's IT's department is not professional and very political. If you work in the hardware group and need to view an application you will require approval from 2 managers. Many managers are limited in scope and are TYPE B personalities with no idea what innovation is. Remember: Dell Inc. is not a high tech company its a computer sales company. Keep that in mind if you take the job.

DNG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BeepMe in Orange, California

58 months ago

Are you sure you want a job at this company? Here's a story from a customer: www.twilightpad.com/messageBoardPost.html?messageBoardPostId=6063

It is, in their words, utter hell to even deal with Dell as a customer. Now try to envision yourself working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DNGCAL in Springville, New York

58 months ago

BeepMe in Orange, California said: Are you sure you want a job at this company? Here's a story from a customer: www.twilightpad.com/messageBoardPost.html?messageBoardPostId=6063

It is, in their words, utter hell to even deal with Dell as a customer. Now try to envision yourself working there.

This scenario is very common with agents. When I was with DELL in Round Rock 2 (the IT group) as a consultant I had a few projects. One project was in a small team that created a phase 2 of call avoidance. The IVR (integrated voice response) unit is what you hear when calling a company. Its the automated attendant system. I was asked to come up with a scheme to keep a customer (one who purchased a low cost unit) within the IVR for 11 minutes. Within the 11 minutes a large percentage were calculated to hand-up. What I wanted to do was at least provide some automated help on common issues but this was shot down. One reason for this was that fact that if one was giving automated help the customer would be on too long listening to the advice.

Dell Inc. knows that to keep a customer away from an agent costs about 3 cents per minute. However, once connected to the agent its about 45 + $ per hour or about 60 cents to 1 $ per minute. So, Dell Inc. wants hand-ups and not provide help that could bring a customer to a human in 11 minutes. The business unit (RR 1) supports such "solutions" as this is an easy way to keep their profit margins.

One real solution was to create chat lines in which 20-30 customers would be in a chatroom with one agent. This did not catch on internally. My background is in telephony and multimedia and not screwing the consumer. I'm very angry with Dell Inc. and have no respect for their customer service techniques. Like I stated before...if you need a gig and are a Type B personality you might be able to deal with this. I can not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joshua in Round Rock, Texas

57 months ago

Bateman in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Sounds like you don't have much to worry about.

While my experience was very real, I severed our relationship as soon as I realized I'd been duped. It looks like your husband is interviewing for a legitimate job. Human Resources is usually treated very different from those expendable sales types.

I'd say good luck, hope for the best and watch your back.

Good luck. We all need all the luck we can get in these days of over-worked employees and underutilized ex-employees. Such an inscrutable balance! Makes me wonder how the U.S. will ever compete....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joshua in Round Rock, Texas

57 months ago

DNG in Corpus Christi, Texas said: You did nothing wrong. DELL operates with too many people in their IT dept. and Business unit. If you tried to get a job at Round Rock 1..the business unit it will take you forever as they are so anal. If you intent was to work for IT in RR 2..then multiple interviews are common. I was screened by 9 people in a single conference room. DELL is not worth it. TRUST ME. Too many TYPE "B"s who are so anal that nothing of value gets done. TRY HP..they are hiring and offer better benefits.

I don't know about 'anal'. But in any case, many of the comments in this thread point to quite a dysfunctional, functional-type organization. Is that true, any of you Dell PMs out there?
How much of this angst is part of the culture, as it derives from the management style at the very top? And you know to whom I'm alluding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DNGCAL in Buffalo, New York

57 months ago

Joshua...One key problem Dell has is the combative nature between Business and IT..or Round Rock 1 vs. Round Rock 2. The ex-Walmart CTO was a total moron and had no clue. They wanted to make IT operate under 1% of reveune which is very possible but 2 things keep them in dis-harmony.

1. PM's ..these people are so process based and know nothing of the technology they "manage" that many projects fail or do not turn out as desired.

2. The business unit has little respect for IT and visa versa. Business is so angry with IT that they started to outsource simple IT functions so they would not have to deal with them.

Managers tend to hire Type B personalities. Type A's are discouraged. Silicon Valley for example is filled with Type A's, people who have ideas and know how to deploy them. So, in the end Dell Inc. creates many little departments with limited responsibilities and thus limit liability per department. Truly, Dell Inc. is like the Dilbert comic strip. No kidding.

PM's have so much processes that they attempt to redefine projects since it virtually impossible to get "buy in". Many times its "their" fault. Personally, I managed over 70 people while with Nortel, filed patents and had to deploy products with a 9 month time to market. One senior PM I worked with at Dell thought I was not qualified to be a PM as I am an "engineer" yet Six sigma certified!. In the end, I was able to get a few projects through by cheating the system and got the business group on my side to give me authorization to deploy outside the norm. I spent 70%+ of my time trying to manipulate the system so when my contract was over....it was good 'riddens. To HELL with DELL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

securamerica in Snoqualmie, Washington

38 months ago

I liked working @ dell for security the pay wasn't that good but I didn't have to deal with the stress and long shifts the poor dell employees had to end of quarters were hell on thoes guys but I liked working in round rock the employees thought they were invincible untill I put them in their place and later confiscated their laptop I could pick thoes locks with a bic pen. I loved it when they used that line (do you know who I am) I would just tell them yea the guy I'm giving a parking ticket too. Note to dell employees Be carefull who you mess with there because you can find out where anyone works with just their name or badge number and serch for them on the front desk home page then someone might mess with your cubical. It was fun till I found a better gig try security you won't get laid off and you can laugh at the employees when they do hahaha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jock in Round Rock, Texas

38 months ago

what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Uhh in Round Rock, Texas

37 months ago

Dell Consumer Sales information.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGFmv3sAF50

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Uhh in Round Rock, Texas

35 months ago

Additional Dell Consumer Sales information.
www.imagineausa.com

Uhh in Round Rock, Texas

34 months ago

Book being written about experience at Dell Consumer in Round Rock Texas (corporate). For more details www.imagineausa.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

just when you didnt have enough tier 1.. in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

32 months ago

Jennifer Solana in Dallas, Texas said: Dell is horrible in Oklahoma City. Stay away from this company. And their computers are not worth much as well.

ya..it doesnt help either if your working for another certain disclosed company from dell...and you really only have resources from that companys search site and dells knowledgebase, and managers dont have any idea either.. and network speed?...

tier 2 solution field: solved. (that doesnt help me learn..)

now if it were strictly just computer issues then i might beable to learn to like the job. that call about put a ticket in, because i need to take this car to a mechanic...???

they never fully explained what ua meant... computers, phones, travel, insurance,.......i hope i never see a blackberry again.

127.0.0.1-i cant connect to your comp. in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

32 months ago

Ambition is Critical in Round Rock, Texas said: Three simple words for anyone thinking about working for DELL...Don't do it - Dell will eat your soul... it's a bad bad bad place to be at any level.

I know what you're thinking, he just had a bad experience, he's just bitter, he's didn't do well there...... all this is TRUE, but consider this.... I never met anyone there that had been there for less than 5 years ! Let's give them credit and say that there are some that have stayed in the last 5 years, it would be only credible to say this is 10% at best. Do you think that it could be possible that 90% or people employed since 2003 were bad at their jobs ?

Also I was a contractor there and left to take a job that paid me 1/2 of what I was earning at DELL. DELL isn't a word it's a sentence and in my case I got early parole after 3 months !

Seriously look for something else, I hear starbuck are hiring ! :)

The best place to find networking jobs in Austin is on craigslist... just check that if it's a recruitment agency they are not hiring for DELL. A lot of recuiters now will not tell you it's DELL till you get into the process... ask them flat out from the start.."Can you confirm this is not with DELL ?" if they won't confirm it isn't then you can be sure it is.

DELL is so Anti-Austin I'm amazed they have offices here... they should be in Dallas or Moscow ! The Work / Life balance is a joke !

ya im sorry to say i only lasted just about a year..network speeds were driving me crazy, that and sending up to tier 2: solution solved..so looking back on those kind of tickets..didnt help at all..and didnt help my ranking either obviously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sorry but it's true in Valros, France

31 months ago

Dell is a strange mix. I'm in France, and in many ways, it's a great place to work, from the human point of view. That is one of the reasons so many people have been there a long time. It CAN be fun.

However, another reason is that they are often one of the only a few big, stable employers in the places they have installed their offices. So, people do not necessarily have a choice. Overall, if you have the choice, I say, don't do it! I'm trying to get out. Why? well:

They are not really very different from most megalithic companies that started as a one-man band. They were allowed to grow organically without control 20-30 years ago, and they have not managed to sort themselves out since. Their processes are disjointed, badly implemented, not controlled, not documented, it is totally disorganised, the internal technology (software and hardware) is outmoded, and decisions are made 19 layers up the ladder where reality does not exist. When they roll down to the working level, they cause pain and break all the progress that has been made. It is a constant cycle of fix-management breaks it-fix, wasting time and preventing people from doing real work.

If you are really, really patient, fine. It's a good place to start young, there are plenty of internal opportunities, they encourage mobility, they encourage achievement: you just have to be in one of the areas where you can make it look like you're achieving something, even though nothing has actually happened. It is possible, for political animals, to have a very good career there.

But anyone who wants to be able to advance through non-political means, and who is creative or technical - don't. You won't have fun.

127.0.0.1-i cant connect to your comp. in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

30 months ago

Jennifer Solana in Dallas, Texas said: Dell is horrible in Oklahoma City . Stay away from this company. And their computers are not worth much as well.

i agree internet connections were horrible...management was horrible to..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mightymox03 in Austin, Texas

29 months ago

Has anyone gotten a job there recently? Getting a lot of bad reviews.

What do you think?

Also what is the pre-employment screening process like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tonilynne88

25 months ago

OMG! I have a interview with Dell tomorrow morning for Tech Support position. I just stumbled on this page and I'm nervous as hell! I need this job but after reading this u don't know if I want it or if I will even get the job. Three ppl are interviewing me! Help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

techuser247 in Round Rock, Texas

23 months ago

I have recently been hired on at Dell in Round Rock. So far the work life balance has not been an issue. The group I work with are all very friendly and helpful. I spent alot of time reading thru all the prior posts, dreading the decision to take the job. In the end, it's just a matter of luck. I don't see alot of people walking around looking miserable, I have met a few people who are a bit disgruntled. I have also met people who are enjoying themselves. Yeah you can gripe about the network connection speed, or not being able to do the job how you would like to do the job. How is that different from any other job you'd have... unless you are the BOSS.. you just have to do what your told and get the job done. Truthfully I'm loving the experience at Dell, but I also realize I lucked out being placed on a good team, that works well together and wants to succeed. Other than that, all I can say is be humble, be confident, be open. I interviewed several times during the process, and yes they will have several different people asking you questions. It is basically a panel interview process.. It's like picking teams when you were a kid, they stand around, watching for who they think will fit with their team, who is the best player.. etc. etc.. just do your best, don't stress what else can you do.

tonilynne88 in Lincoln, Nebraska

23 months ago

tonilynne88 said: OMG! I have a interview with Dell tomorrow morning for Tech Support position. I just stumbled on this page and I'm nervous as hell! I need this job but after reading this u don't know if I want it or if I will even get the job. Three ppl are interviewing me! Help!

well it took them a whole month and a job fair later to tell me I didnt get the job.I started working for another company and low and behold someone from Dell's call center wanted to interview me....makes me look at this relationship as unstable...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

YOG in Round Rock, Texas

23 months ago

tonilynne88 in Lincoln, Nebraska said: well it took them a whole month and a job fair later to tell me I didnt get the job.I started working for another company and low and behold someone from Dell's call center wanted to interview me....makes me look at this relationship as unstable...

I used to work there. I only have one piece of advice for all of you considering going over to the Dark Side of the hi-tech industry: RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

And now: twitter.com/YOG_YUGGOTH

tonilynne88 in Lincoln, Nebraska

23 months ago

I hear ya buddy...it's not even a wet dream anymore...

mike lin in Dayton, Ohio

22 months ago

techuser247 in Round Rock, Texas said: I have recently been hired on at Dell in Round Rock. So far the work life balance has not been an issue. The group I work with are all very friendly and helpful. I spent alot of time reading thru all the prior posts, dreading the decision to take the job. In the end, it's just a matter of luck. I don't see alot of people walking around looking miserable, I have met a few people who are a bit disgruntled. I have also met people who are enjoying themselves. Yeah you can gripe about the network connection speed, or not being able to do the job how you would like to do the job. How is that different from any other job you'd have... unless you are the BOSS.. you just have to do what your told and get the job done. Truthfully I'm loving the experience at Dell, but I also realize I lucked out being placed on a good team, that works well together and wants to succeed. Other than that, all I can say is be humble, be confident, be open. I interviewed several times during the process, and yes they will have several different people asking you questions. It is basically a panel interview process.. It's like picking teams when you were a kid, they stand around, watching for who they think will fit with their team, who is the best player.. etc. etc.. just do your best, don't stress what else can you do.

Thanks for the insight! I also am interested in getting a job at dell.. did you apply online? Or did you go through an employee referral? Do they offer relocation? Any help in answering these questions would be greatly appreciated?

Also, would you happen by any chance know the phone # or the email to the hr department at dell?

ecook1 in Austin, Texas

18 months ago

techuser247 in Round Rock, Texas said: I have recently been hired on at Dell in Round Rock. So far the work life balance has not been an issue. The group I work with are all very friendly and helpful. I spent alot of time reading thru all the prior posts, dreading the decision to take the job. In the end, it's just a matter of luck. I don't see alot of people walking around looking miserable, I have met a few people who are a bit disgruntled. I have also met people who are enjoying themselves. Yeah you can gripe about the network connection speed, or not being able to do the job how you would like to do the job. How is that different from any other job you'd have... unless you are the BOSS.. you just have to do what your told and get the job done. Truthfully I'm loving the experience at Dell, but I also realize I lucked out being placed on a good team, that works well together and wants to succeed. Other than that, all I can say is be humble, be confident, be open. I interviewed several times during the process, and yes they will have several different people asking you questions. It is basically a panel interview process.. It's like picking teams when you were a kid, they stand around, watching for who they think will fit with their team, who is the best player.. etc. etc.. just do your best, don't stress what else can you do.

How long does it take for Dell to call you back at Round Rock if you had an interview already?

My name in Gary, Indiana

18 months ago

ecook1 in Austin, Texas said: How long does it take for Dell to call you back at Round Rock if you had an interview already?

How long after you applied did it take to be contacted.

Finance@Dell in Sandy, Texas

18 months ago

Dell is a great place to work for people who are looking for excellent work-life balance and are not too obsessed with getting promoted or working on the coolest projects. They have a lot of flex-work arrangements too. A lot of people work from home on a regular basis even if they live within commuting distance. Managers are mostly friendly and very cooperative. I've been with the company for 4 years and have changed jobs 3 times, not because I was forced to but because it was an area of interest or i was getting promoted. Dell is very transparent about their pay-grade levels as well (advisor = C1(IG) pay grade, Sr. Advisor = C2(IH), Consultant = C3(II)). Make sure you ask what grade you will be joining at before accepting since that will determine your offer.

The recent news about privatization has ruffled a few feathers but I think the culture will remain intact unless Ichan gets his way and rips the company apart. Need more fresh blood at the company since most of the 'lifers' at Dell are extremely complacent and dont do any work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

JayLQue in Killeen, Texas

16 months ago

Well I have an interview with dell tomorrow, I've had several others as well but I really hope I get this position, I've seen a lot of negative reviews but after spending over 26 something years in the military and several deployments no matter where you work you have to make the best of it and if you cant hang then move on, now that being said if I get hired I hope I don't have to come back and eat these words later. Ill put my best foot forward no matter where I work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Harry Schmitt in Austin, Texas

14 months ago

I agree Dell is a primarily sales organization. The corporate culture is more suited for people with IT backgrounds as opposed to those with engineering backgrounds. Corporate culture is extremely political which is fine if you are in the "In Group", but if you are not then watch out.

If anyone is interested working for Dell, that is a personal decision, but comments already given in this thread (Negative and Positive) are true. It basically comes down to the organization that you are interviewing with. Just remember one thing, interviews works both ways, they are interviewing you and you are interviewing them. It is good idea to research the company and have list of questions ready for the interview. How and what is answered tell you a great deal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

eXeAdam in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

9 months ago

worked at the one in oklahoma city, i have my A+ cert, Net+ cert, windows xp, mcdst, however most of the people that started hardly had any computer experience.. lets see what did i not like there: the management, the leads, getting terminated with a ton of others right before contract end date where salary and benefits comes into play..insurance benefits was awful..
when ever lightning and thunder was in the forecast the entire building would loose power: paper ticket time. its a numbers game, you have to know the right people.. we would have countless meetings in the morning where the leads said they would crack down on tier 2: for putting no information in their tickets other than solution/problem solved in the solution field. Every time i would bring that to a leads attention for not being able to fix the same re-occuring issue, looking back on tier 2's ticket no information on how they fixed the issue, the lead would just say send the ticket up, we will deal with it next time..well they never would deal with that issue, and when my numbers didnt look good they would say "we'll everyone else is getting by".. ya until you fire almost all of us right before contract end date and hire a bunch of new guinea pigs.. a month or 2 after i was let go, a recruiter wanted to hire me for tier 2, even though i told them that i was terminated for tier 1.. however they still wanted to hire me for tier 2, and every couple moths i get that call, i'm starting college now and am only looking for part time work, so maybe they will finally leave me alone.. they made distance myself from every working for tech support again.. and of course the internet connection sucks, the ticking system constantly locks up, time to solve ticket constantly goes down..20 minutes,15 min, 12 minutes, while the programs(blackberry) and internet connection gets worse and worse.

yoggerman in Round Rock, Texas

9 months ago

David in Corpus Christi, Texas said: I was an engineer / architect consultant for DELL in Round Rock - Bldng. 2. Dell's 3200 man IT department is filled with incompetent managers who believe process is more important than making a decision. The contact center group is filled with no direction and frustration. Dell has had programs which have to do with customer avoidance and in the past they turned off customer service switches to certain sites when there was heavy call traffic. There was a law suit over this. Internally, their CRM systems are still by TANDEM computers that are from H.P.! They have had 10+ years to move from Tandem to DELL based servers yet they still can't migrate over. DELL's Project Managers are more important than technologists. Process before all and ignorance prevails. It is without question the most idiot group of people to work with. Departments take control over one part of a server while others take control over yet another. Those who actually have a real brain (free thinkers) are stifled and tend to be upset over the "system". DO NOT WORK THERE if you have a mind! NOW: if you are a type "A" person AND love PROCESS.....maybe you might like it.

You said it, buddy! Dell so about process and the anal people who love living in their processes and spewing out acronyms and abbreviations and other inside language to customers, on customer calls for God's sake! The process is the means - never mind the damned customer!

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.