Impact of Reckless Driving Charge on Security Clearance

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Robin in Washington, District of Columbia

54 months ago

I got a reckless driving ticket in early 2009 - general reckless due to speeding. I had gone to court but charges were not dropped and my license was suspended for 6 months.

I have applied for an IT Consulting position at Deloitte, and things seem to be going pretty well. I think I will get an offer, but I am a bit nervous about passing the background investigation due to the reckless driving ticket, which is a class 1 misdemeanor. I obviously don't want to be in a situation where I resign from my current job, accept the Deloitte offer, and then they tell me 2 months down the line that I didn't pass the clearance.

Does anyone know if a reckless driving ticket (class 1 misdemeanor) has any impact on security clearance? It is a IT consulting job so obviously there's no driving involved on the job ...

Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

nycnyc31 in Miami Beach, Florida said: Did it impact your employment?

no it didn't. traffic charges don't usually affect clearance for any job that doesn't involve significant driving for official work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chloe in Cincinnati, Ohio

42 months ago

Robin,

Do you mind me asking if you had lawyer with you during the court appearance? Also, were you granted driving privelages during the 6 months?

Glad to know it did not affect your job.

Chloe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Chloe in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Robin,

Do you mind me asking if you had lawyer with you during the court appearance? Also, were you granted driving privelages during the 6 months?

Glad to know it did not affect your job.

Chloe

yes, i hired a lawyer for the court appearance. for reckless driving, it is always recommended you go with a lawyer because it's considered very serious and the punishment can be tough (can include jail time).

if your lawyer represents your case properly, the court usually grants driving privileges for work or medical reasons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nycnyc31 in Miami Beach, Florida

42 months ago

hi, i'm in the same situation, have they made an offer? Did the forms ask if you have a valid license??

Thanks

Chloe in Cincinnati, Ohio

42 months ago

Robin in Washington, District of Columbia said: yes, i hired a lawyer for the court appearance. for reckless driving, it is always recommended you go with a lawyer because it's considered very serious and the punishment can be tough (can include jail time).

if your lawyer represents your case properly, the court usually grants driving privileges for work or medical reasons.

Thank you for your advice. Such a scary experience. Thankfully I got it reduced to improper lane change. My advice to people is get a very, very good lawyer. My lawyer cost me $1,000.00. They told me it would only really affect driving jobs if I did get it though. I had no previous traffic ticket record except one speed and have been driving for 10 years. So I think that is what did it. Thanks again, and lesson learned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robin in Woodbridge, Virginia

42 months ago

Chloe in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Thank you for your advice. Such a scary experience. Thankfully I got it reduced to improper lane change. My advice to people is get a very, very good lawyer. My lawyer cost me $1,000.00. They told me it would only really affect driving jobs if I did get it though. I had no previous traffic ticket record except one speed and have been driving for 10 years. So I think that is what did it. Thanks again, and lesson learned.

Sure Chloe! I am glad it helped you. It was a scary experience for me too - I will never speed up THAT much again! I am not sure if you asked the question because you are applying for a position at Deloitte. If you are, good luck! :)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.