What's the company culture at Dillard's?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 135)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dillard's?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Dillard's?

Reply - Report abuse

Current Dillards Employee in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dillard's?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

Dillards is the worst company to work for. In case you didn't know it, we have outrageous sales quotas at Dillards that are pretty much impossible to meet. Those who do meet them, may or may not get raises. Those who don't get pay cut after pay cut until they make less than minimum wage and are fired. Not to mention, at least once a month my boss threatens to fire me for those stupid quotas!!! They don't see any of the other things that you do for the store...only how many customers you have rang up for them and how much money each person spent. Then, if the people change their minds after they get home and end up returning the merchandise, the company will dock that from your next days sales. There are a lot of days where my sales are negative for the day...EX: -$645.00 and so on. There is just no winning in this business. I hate it, have always hated it, and am deperately looking for another job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (103) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

OhioGuy33 in Toledo, Ohio

78 months ago

The way they run things at Dillards...is stupid.

When I go shopping at Dillards, I only go to scan the clearance racks and mark-downs. Once in a great while, I will see a particulary nice Nautica dress shirt in my size (XL), that I know won't be around in a couple months. So I might make that purchase.

I don't make a bigger purchase if a salesperson talks to me. Actually, I would be inclined to buy less. Typically, the salesperson that DOESN'T bother me, that's the person's register I take my stuff to.

The people that pestered me and acted like they were my best friend and we hadn't see each other since high school, basically annoyed me.

I think even most Dillards employees realize this. Management ought to get re-evaluate the company sales policies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Frankfruerter in Dallas, Texas

78 months ago

Dillard's is has very negative corporate culture, of endless markdowns, of poor buying, based on antiquated purchasing models, that don't adjust to regional fashion trends. The stores are poorly lit, which has a subconsciously depressing effect on your psyche. Management, at every level, is demonstrative of a complete lack of Human Resource principles of managing a workforce. However, It is not significantly different from any other retail employment opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jackie burns in North Little Rock, Arkansas

76 months ago

i just recently started working at Little rock Arkansas Dillards. so, far I love it. i have always loved the store. I will never forget once in college that my parents took my dillards card away from me, I was crying. (overspending) Anyway, I am now 39, and working there. The man that is the manager is named "BOB". Super good person, and most of the accosiates are really cool. Especially Barbra & Barbra!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (53) Reply - Report abuse

vegas in North Little Rock, Arkansas

76 months ago

work together then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dillard's?

everyone that works at dillards are dressed nice. all the guys wear full-on suits that work there.
As far as get-togethers, IDK, I have only been there for a couple of weeks. Most of the associates are really friendly. Maybe I can update the dillard's life later. I do know that the sec. there is getting married to the security gaurd there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Current Dillards Employee in Los Angeles, California said: Dillards is the worst company to work for. In case you didn't know it, we have outrageous sales quotas at Dillards that are pretty much impossible to meet. Those who do meet them, may or may not get raises. Those who don't get pay cut after pay cut until they make less than minimum wage and are fired. Not to mention, at least once a month my boss threatens to fire me for those stupid quotas!!! They don't see any of the other things that you do for the store...only how many customers you have rang up for them and how much money each person spent. Then, if the people change their minds after they get home and end up returning the merchandise, the company will dock that from your next days sales. There are a lot of days where my sales are negative for the day...EX: -$645.00 and so on. There is just no winning in this business. I hate it, have always hated it, and am deperately looking for another job.

well, then don't focus on doing other things for the store. Get you're quota up first. That is priority obviously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

ILD in North Little Rock, Arkansas

76 months ago

the people in the office all dress very nice as well. In the NLR Dillard's, the manager over the entire store tells everyone to look professional. He speaks very highly of the Dillard's. In our training program, I almost thought for a minute that maybe he WAS a Dillard. He's a really nice man. He even told some employee's that if they wanted to go to church on Sunday, and didn't have a ride, that someone would pick them up. His name is Bob. Very good Manager, Very professional looking and acts very professional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Disgusted in Augusta, Georgia said: A typical day in the life of an employee at Dillard's ranks right up there with being drawn and quartered...

I am just curious to why so many people on the fourm are interested in the day in the life of an employee at Dillards? This is my 3rd week of training. I don't have a set area yet that I will be placed in untill next week. I Have worked every area of Dillard now just about. I even did dock work one day. Today, I worked 4 different areas. I worked womens dresses, swim suits, children's, and jewlry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

OhioGuy33 in Toledo, Ohio said: The way they run things at Dillards...is stupid.

When I go shopping at Dillards, I only go to scan the clearance racks and mark-downs. Once in a great while, I will see a particulary nice Nautica dress shirt in my size (XL), that I know won't be around in a couple months. So I might make that purchase.

I don't make a bigger purchase if a salesperson talks to me. Actually, I would be inclined to buy less. Typically, the salesperson that DOESN'T bother me, that's the person's register I take my stuff to.

The people that pestered me and acted like they were my best friend and we hadn't see each other since high school, basically annoyed me.

I think even most Dillards employees realize this. Management ought to get re-evaluate the company sales policies.

well, if I went into dillard's and they didn't help me, I would think they didn't want my business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

vegas in North Little Rock, Arkansas said: well, then don't focus on doing other things for the store. Get you're quota up first. That is priority obviously.

good advice vegas!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

lillian

75 months ago

Hello everyone, I worked for Dillard's for almost 4years and yes I loved my store management and everyone, but the company stinks, really I worked hard, loved everything from marddowns to helping customers, but what you don't realize it isn't the store it is the pressure that the company puts on the managers.
sales quotes, if you don't meet your sales quotes of 100.00 an hour you will get a pay cut of 10%, if you don't met it again and trust it isn't as easy as you think, you get another pay cut fo 10% and if it happens one more time and it could, you will get another pay cut or you are left go. I got three pay cuts and on the 4th one they wanted to keep me so they put me women shoes and up my salary it was fine for the month or two then they hired 5 more people and that was it, 10 people in ladies shoe was to much, I was told ahead of time that I would lose my job and so I got another offer to work somewhere else, so I gave my notice of 2wks and then two days before I was left go I was dismissed, also I got my vaction pay and I can come back if I wanted to, hopefully not but you never know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

lillian, I am sorry to hear that, and I understand all of that. But, I have also heard from many employee's that have been there for 20 years that it is a wonderful company to work for. At least they moved you to another area to keep you, maybe you would be better in another area. But I believe that if my job was in jerpordy if I didn't meet my quota,(especially as a manager) I would make SALES my priority. Markdowns and other things could be delegated to other people as well, right? Pay attention to people as they walk up.
Now, an idea for you if you are in lady's shoes, is sign up for blog's and chat rooms in your area, just like you are on this forum, and advertise! Put your name out there. Seriously, it works. I am from Las Vegas, and I promoted lot's of different businesses. Be creative and think of cute little idea's to get people's attention on the forum's. If I think of something, I will help you out. Keep in touch, and good luck wherever you go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

lillian

75 months ago

How long have you been with dillard's, I have known people to be with the company for over 20years and got kick out, maybe your area is better but here in the south it isn't. In fact I was there today for a look and there were only about 6 customers in the whole store. I even tried something cute one day I held a sign in my arms saying thing and of course people laughed which was good. In all seriousness I don't work there anymore and I am glad, I am a great sales person, I go the extra mile for customers and I give 150% mark downs are important to not like customer but if they don't get done you are told about it, and not in a nice way. I use to love to fix the clothes to and rearrange them when not busy, in fact that is why they wanted to keep my because I was good with people customers included, my manager liked me anyway it wasn't the store that left me good it was higher up we had some much turn over at out store every 2months or so, they never told people about pay cuts and when the found out it was, they ber out looking for another job, have you ever had one and are you a supervisior, my supervisior in shoes was good she work so hard, and I mean hard, but because so many people would be left go, for her dept she got can but she did get to go to another store but only as an associate.
I go back in a heart beat but not until the sale guoted went away, they also got rid of another supervision who worked hard too, I know because I seen them work. please reply back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I have heard alot of stories just like yours, and the only thing that pop's into my mind is that obviously SALES are most important! Working hard appearantly didn't help. Sales have to be #1. That is what they are looking at. Numbers. I'm new, so that's what I see so far. And, is you think about it, the quota system keeps you on your toes. That way, you won't ignore your customers, or be rood to them, because you want that sale. I can see why it works. I am sorry to hear about what happened to you. I am sure that you will do great anywhere that you go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

well, I love my job, but I don't love working w/ the other associates. The better I sale, the more they don't like you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

905879586 cupcake in Waco, Texas

72 months ago

Hey!!!
It's not as easy as you make it sound. You have display's to do,you have projects that your ASM has you doing, AND make your quota. If all we had to do was make quota, there would be no problem.
Smart A@@

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JACQUE PETERSON in Katy, Texas

72 months ago

YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO WORK AT DILLARD'S? DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, RUN THE OTHER WAY BEFORE YOU FILL OUT THE APPLICATION.

SINCE 1969 I HAVE WORKED AT SAKOWITZ, HOUSTON, JOSKE'S, HOUSTON, FOLEY'S, HOUSTON. THESE STORES ARE NO LONGER IN BUSINESS. FOR WHATEVER REASON, THESE STORES NO LONGER EXIST. MANY OF US WISH THEY DID. IF ONLY DILLARD'S WOULD SUFFER THE SAME FATE. THE BUYING PUBLIC WOULD BE MUCH BETTER OFF. SO WOULD IT'S EMPLOYEES. THE DILLARD FAMILY HAS ABSOLUTELY NO REGARD FOR IT'S EMPLOYEES. I WISH I HAD A NICKEL FOR EVERY TIME I'VE HEARD AN EMPLOYEE MAKE THE COMMENT "WHY BOTHER TO COMPLAIN,DILLARD'S DOESN'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO US" WHEN REFERRING TO MANAGEMENTS'TREATMENT OF IT'S EMPLOYEES.

THIS CLIMATE HAS BEEN CREATED BY BILL DILLARD AND HIS FAMILY. THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CORPORATE ATTITUDE AND IT'S GENERAL MENTALITY. THE RANK AND FILE ARE THE ONES MADE TO PAY FOR DILLARD FAMILY MISTAKES.

OVER THE YEARS I HAVE WORKED FOR SOME VERY GOOD EMPLOYERS AND SOME REAL STINKERS. DILLARD'S IS THE BIGGEST STINKER OF THEM ALL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

also concerned in Mentor Oh in Mentor, Ohio

72 months ago

As an ex-employee of Dillard's, I won't even shop in that store ever again, nor my friends, and family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Powderpuff girl in Townsville, Texas

72 months ago

At our Dillard's we have 2 of the most vile, hateful, sub-human beings in the world as ASM's. One, I'll call Fat Albert, is so demented he makes Hitler look like an ok guy. This "man" has the camera operators spy on the employees. Watching to see if anyone is going outside for a smoke, then refusing to open the dock door. He berates employees in front of customers, and berates customers in front of the store. He found out an employee's transfer was denied 2 weeks prior to informing her, and told 2 associates about how her finally "had" her. The associates knew about the denial before she did. Fat Albert is a nasty piece of garbage, who is too good for the deepest part of Hell.
"The Warden" is just as bad. She pits her associates against each other, sets quotas too high, then berates them for not reaching them. She calls them on thier days off, demanding to know where they are at all times, denying requests for days off, including thier children's birthday's. Her day isn't complete without making one of her associates cry.
Her employees hate her so much, they talk about how ugly her CHILDREN are. And our store manager is oblivious to it. She turns a blind eye to it. I've come to hate my job there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

astroglide in Denver, Colorado

72 months ago

THE DILLARD'S ARE GREEDY,AND EVIL. I AM NOT A RELIGIOUS MAN,BUT I KNOW FOR SURE THAT BILL AND ALEX DILLARD ARE GOING TO BURN IN HELL... GREED IS ONE OF THE 7 DEADLY SINS.
I WORKED AT A DILLARD'S FOR 10 MONTHS. I NEVER EVEN SET FOOT IN ONE OF THEIR STORES TIL I NEEDED A JOB WHILE I FINISHED SCHOOL,AND NOW THAT I AM ALMOST FINISHED AND GETTING READY TO START A HIGH PAYING RESPECTABLE JOB,I WILL NEVER SET FOOT IN THEIR STORES AGAIN.
THE MANAGEMENT TREATS THEIR EMPLOYEES LIKE CRAP. THE PAY IS $.40 AN HOUR ABOVE POVERTY LEVEL.AND WHEN THEIR SECURITY ISN'T TOO BUSY RACIALLY PROFILING CUSTOMERS,THEN THEY ARE WATCHING EMPLOYEES TO SEE IF ANY ONE SNEAKS OVER TO THE SNACK BAR ACROSS THE WAY TO GET SOMETHING TO DRINK.SURE THEY GIVE YOU AN HOUR FOR LUNCH,BUT THERE ARE NO 10 MINUTE BREAKS ALLOWED.
AND AT THE LOCATION I WORK AT,THEY DISCRIMINATE AGAINST MALE EMPLOYEES. MOST OF THE FEMALES LIKE TO SHO UP LATE,TAKE LONG LUNCHES,AND LEAVE EARLY,AND THEY GET AWAY WITH IT. BUT IF ONE OF THE FEW MALE EMPLOYEES,CLOCKS IN 2 MINUTES LATE,THEN OUR ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER,WHO HAS A DISPROPORTIONATELY LARGE HEAD ATOP AN ANOREXIC BODY,AND LOOKS LIKE A HUMAN PEZ DISPENSER,COMES UP TO US,AND CHEWS OUR BUTTS OUT. AND ALL THE WHILE,MAINTAINING THAT FAKE SMILE ON HER FACE.
AND AS FOR THE QUOTA'S; THEY ARE JUST A WAY FOR THE DILLARDS TO KEEP FROM GIVING US RAISES. AND AT OUR LOCATION,THE RETURN RATE IS THROUGH THE ROOF. FOR EVERY $100.00 OF MERCHANDISE WE SELL,AT LEAST $50.00 OF IT GETS RETURNED. AND THAT JUST KILLS US ON THE SALES PER HOUR GOALS.
AND WHATEVER YOU DO,YOU BETTER OPEN UP AT LEAST ONE CREDIT CARD PER WEEK,OR ELSE THEY WILL MAKE YOU WEAR A CREDIT CARD APPLICATION PINNED TO YOUR SHIRT TIL YOU GET ONE.
THEN THERE ARE THE REDICULOUSLY HIGH PRICES. WELL,IN THE TRAINING VIDEOS THEY MADE US WATCH, ALEX DILLARD EXPLAINS THAT THE REASON THEIR PRICES AR SO HIGH IS BECAUSE HE "WANTS PEOPLE TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES FOR SPENDING $150.00 ON A PAIR OF BLUEJEANS AND A T-SHIRT".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DCF in San José, Costa Rica

71 months ago

ILD in North Little Rock asked why people were interested in this forum. I am researching different retail companies for a stock investment. I had read positive remarks in Peter Lynch's book, "Beating the Street," and was investigating to see if the "story" had changed in 15 years.

Lynch refers to the Dillard family as "a folksy bunch with a tight grip on the corporate purse strings.' He added, 'with Scroogian intensity, they search the books looking for new ways to cut costs, but not at the expense of employees."

The "not at the expense of employees" view looks to be more myth than reality today.

I am going to pass on DDS. It sounds like William II needs to visit companies like Nucor and Southwest Airlines to learn how employees' morale has a huge impact on the bottom line, stock price, and family wealth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

DCF: what's the verdict? Has the story changed after 15 years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DCF in San José, Costa Rica

71 months ago

ILD in North Little Rock, Arkansas said: DCF: what's the verdict? Has the story changed after 15 years?

I am not going to invest in Dillard. I feel sorry for anyone who believes they have to work at Dillard's. I believe that people who work for Dillard's need to read about what a good corporate culture entails. This article describes a respectful corporate culture: seekingalpha.com/article/90474-nucor-the-end-of-steel

A company like NUCOR is what I'm looking for in a company when I invest my retirement dollars. Wouldn't you want to work for a company that had this kind of attitude toward its employees?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

dillards sucks in Mesa, Arizona

71 months ago

Something tells me that ILD is on Bill Dillards payroll.

This is the worst company I have ever worked for. How can the expect you to meet a stupid SPH goal when there are no customers in the store. At at time when the economy is as bad as it is right now customers want to shop at bargain prices. So that means that the customers that are in the store are just looking for the 75% off racks. I have grown so tired of hearing that from every customer that I approach. That or they ask if I know when a particular Piece of merchandise will go to 75% off. That and credit apps. So on top of getting a unreachable sales quota they also require you to open more credit accounts. Which is really difficult to do when they don't offer any real incentive for their customers to open an account. They get a whopping $20 coupon to use on a future purchase. And they earn 1 point for every dollar spent in the store and once they reach 1000 points they get another whopping $10 coupon. Come on get real. Do you realize how bad it has to be if Fortune 500 voted dillards as the 2nd worst company to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I happen to work at a dillard's just like you do! Yes, it is slow sometime's. My numbers's are still good. You don't have to meet your quota everyday. It average's out. Maybe you don't understand it. And about the credit app's, If the economy is so bad, then $20 is a big deal! If they are already shopping at Dillard's, why would they not want to fill out the credit app., and use the extra $20 to shop with? I got 15 credit app's last month and won $50 dollar's extra on my check.
I don't make my quota everyday. By the end of the weekend, it averages out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

dillards sucks in Mesa, Arizona

71 months ago

The numbers good in some departments, but not in mine. It also depends on the location of the store. My location is within 30 minutes in any direction from another Dillards store. All of which are at much better malls then mine, and get two to three times the traffic as our location. Once you get into a certain department at a store you have to be making your quota to transfer to a new department or to another store. So you have no way of trying to better your situation. The hole system is setup to watch you fail. Its sink or swim, which causes employees to steal sales from others just to try to make it. I know for a fact that approx. 85% of the employees at my store are not making their quota. Some of which have been with the company for 10- 20 years all of which say that this is the worst that it has been. I am aware that it averages out. The problem is when the department average is $65.00/hour for that three month period and I am selling at that. They should take that into account, but they don't. My quota as well as every other person in my department has a quota of $90.00/hour or above. And not a single one of us is reaching that goal.

Now on the those stupid credit apps. It is the same as the quota it depends on the department that you work in. We have even tried to give away gift valued up to $70 when they sign up for a account. And that has helped a little, but when you only have a average of 15 customers a day and 10 of those already have a card and the other 5 either say no they don't want another credit card or say that they have a dillards account but my amex, visa, or mastercard have a better reward program. One of my co-workers who brings in 15 to 20 accounts a month said that it all depends on your department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

macey westerfield in Denton, Texas

71 months ago

I have worked at Dillards for one year and it is by far the worst retail company I have worked for. My manager, which is the reason I stayed at Dillards in the first place, was demoted after working her ass off for 13 years. They put her in lingerie. The distract manager did not like her. They fired our store manager and completely replaced every single manager. They replaced my manager with a 20 year old woman who did not know anything about the department and was to busy trying to be your friend than do her job. She lasted 3 months and just walked out yesterday. Our opps manager just put in her 2 weeks. Its crazy! Every employee is leaving. I don't blame them. I have worked here for a year and my pay has changed 5 times. I have had 2 pay raises and 2 pay cuts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hell in Huntsville AL in huntsville, Alabama

70 months ago

Do you really want to know or are you just asking like the store manager asks how your doing today?

Well i'd like to tell you but I guess we can't tell the truth on this web site The Dillard's must control it now too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Hell in Huntsville AL in huntsville, Alabama

70 months ago

well I'd like to tell you but the truth gets blocked here now too. The dillard's must control this website now too. Just like in the stores. I would say no matter how hungry your family is do not go to work for Dillard's RUN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Formsrose in Cincinnati, Ohio

67 months ago

jackie burns in North Little Rock, Arkansas said: i just recently started working at Little rock Arkansas Dillards. so, far I love it. i have always loved the store. I will never forget once in college that my parents took my dillards card away from me, I was crying. (overspending) Anyway, I am now 39, and working there. The man that is the manager is named "BOB". Super good person, and most of the accosiates are really cool. Especially Barbra & Barbra!

I bet you haven't worked there very long! If you have been there for more than a month I'd be shocked, because Dillards is anything but good, and if "Bob" is a super good person he's either your uncle or he's looking for something....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angela martin in Cincinnati, Ohio

65 months ago

Hey, I agree with you, Dillards should fire everyone, specially the managers. Dillards at Kenwood is so poorly run that is almost a joke working or shopping there. have you been there lately? shopping is a joke. Is old, dirty and smell bad.

Their managers are inept, inefficient, racist, ignorant and pompuos. I think they are trained to be bad, there is not another explanation as to how come everyone is sooo bad! and have a job! if you work there you must "kill" for a sale or you are fired. Those associates couldn't find a job anywhere else but at Dillard's. they hire anyone that walks!!!most of them don't last.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Dillard's should be extint. They are heartless and greedy. EVERYTHING they do is wrong, people hate them, managers are evil and stupid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Dillards policies are old, outdated and unfair. The Dillards family should step down and let people with some intelligence and less ego to run the stores

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Caroline Liza in Pt St Lucie, Florida

64 months ago

As I mentioned before, my hours are cut from 30hrs to now anywhere from 6 hours a week to 20. I am losing my benefits along with that. Also, I am given the bad times to work. No Sundays and if I work a Saturday it is in the evening. Do you think some people are purposely given a bad schedule so they can not make their goals. I am sure they are trying to push me out. Any opinions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Glad To Be A Former Employee in South Carolina

64 months ago

Caroline Liza in Pt St Lucie, Florida said: Do you think some people are purposely given a bad schedule so they can not make their goals. I am sure they are trying to push me out. Any opinions.

My opinion is you already know that answer! Of course they are trying to push you out. Dillard's is the absolute worst place I have EVER worked for in my life. My store manager some the most offensive things and was transferred from a store in North Carolina, which leads me to believe there is some reason he was but no one is saying.

Just thinking about the environment of that place makes me ill.

But to expand upon your question, I have seen them "push someone out" several times even telling me when I had a problem associate working for me "so how much hardball should I play here? Can we make it if she quits? Do I need to be tougher to push her out?" And THAT was from my STORE MANAGER in a conversation to me. Uggghhhh.

They do it all the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hutena in Denton, Texas

64 months ago

lillian said: Hello everyone, I worked for Dillard's for almost 4years and yes I loved my store management and everyone, but the company stinks, really I worked hard, loved everything from marddowns to helping customers, but what you don't realize it isn't the store it is the pressure that the company puts on the managers.
sales quotes, if you don't meet your sales quotes of 100.00 an hour you will get a pay cut of 10%, if you don't met it again and trust it isn't as easy as you think, you get another pay cut fo 10% and if it happens one more time and it could, you will get another pay cut or you are left go. I got three pay cuts and on the 4th one they wanted to keep me so they put me women shoes and up my salary it was fine for the month or two then they hired 5 more people and that was it, 10 people in ladies shoe was to much, I was told ahead of time that I would lose my job and so I got another offer to work somewhere else, so I gave my notice of 2wks and then two days before I was left go I was dismissed, also I got my vaction pay and I can come back if I wanted to, hopefully not but you never know.

Hi Lillian,
I have been trying to find another job for a year(I don't like the job I have. They make it almost impossible for me to go to school). I worked at Dillards about 8 yrs ago. I worked there for 3 years and liked the job and two of my managers(they left of course). We had many managers in the time I was there and my pay was dropped. Sales were hard as we were overstaffed and it was catty. I was fired for being late when we got a new manager who was not very nice. It was my fault as I stayed too late at school finals. So I was out. The job I have now didn't do background checks. I can't get a new job though. Dillards is on my resume I worked there for 3 years. Do u know what they say for background checks? They could be killing any hope I have for getting a new job to finish school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

antonio melani in upsidedown world

63 months ago

Round after round of silent layoffs for Dept ASMs.

Pay cuts for most hourly employees.

Consolidation of positions and duties for the upper portion of middle management (coordinators and visual dms - real fat of the land types)

After all this, I'm surprised that there is enough will power left to unlock the doors @ 10:00.

Working at the Dillard's plantation is not very fun, regardless of your position. Forgive me for being blunt, but we are all treated like crap.

I'd like to encourage everyone to tell a friend at work about the forum here at indeed.com. Share your stories. Shine a light on the hostile work environment at your store.

If they've cut your pay, tell us about it.
If they eliminated your position, tell us about it.
If you're tired of being a part of the traveling thug/manager act, tell us about it.
If you've moved on and have advice for others, please share your stories.

The Dillard's are watching. Barrington Investments is being kept abreast. The truth sets us free.

Just a few rules:

- real stories, not real names (it's a bad time to get fired ya know)
- don't enter your zip code when you sign up
- speak up and tell your Dillard's story

They can't arbitrate all of us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

serf in Spring, Texas

57 months ago

Dillard's is worst company I've ever worked for. Everything posted above is true. I fear they're going under--the power got cut off at the Woodlands Texas store last week cause they didn't pay the electric bill--and that's one of their better stores. I am not kidding--this place is a tomb--only business is on the weekends. Lucky to sell 500.00 a day.

Oh well, there are other things to do. I won't be sorry if they do collapse,--in fact I'll probably smile as I wave good-bye.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sara bianci in Youngstown, Ohio

56 months ago

DILLARDS SUX! I WORKED THERE FOR TWO YEARS AND YOU GET NO RESPECT AND NO APPRECIATION FOR ANYTHING YOU DO! THEY NEED TO GET A GRIP ON THE ECONOMY... LOWER THEIR PRICES AND GET A MANAGEMENT TEAM WHO DOESNT LIVE BACK IN THE 1970'S! I AM GLAD TO BE GONE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

TexasSBSW in Dallas, Texas

56 months ago

I worked at Dillards (in a store) a few years back while I was in college. It was horrible. Absolutely the worst company I have ever worked for. They scheduled us for 7 or 8 hours without a lunch break, and after close they locked the doors until they came over the PA and announced that we were "released". Not only is this a dangerous fire hazard, it's degrading. A co-worker and I figured out that because of their "tardy" system (is this reminding anybody of grade school yet?) it was possible to be late to work up to 19 times in a year and not get fired. You had a 12-minute window to clock-in. Showing up for work 15 minutes early, like a responsible adult, wasn't tolerated.

The pay system is also jacked. They start you out with a pretty generous hourly wage for an easy retail job, and give you insane sales quotas. If you don't reach them, they cut your pay. If you exceed them they give you a raise. The system would be a great idea if they would have put normal sales quota standards on it.

I've worked in sales before. I've worked in retail. Dillards was absolutely the worst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zahre in Texas

56 months ago

antonio melani in upsidedown world said: Round after round of silent layoffs for Dept ASMs.

Pay cuts for most hourly employees.

Consolidation of positions and duties for the upper portion of middle management (coordinators and visual dms - real fat of the land types)

After all this, I'm surprised that there is enough will power left to unlock the doors @ 10:00.

Working at the Dillard's plantation is not very fun, regardless of your position. Forgive me for being blunt, but we are all treated like crap.

I'd like to encourage everyone to tell a friend at work about the forum here at indeed.com. Share your stories. Shine a light on the hostile work environment at your store.

If they've cut your pay, tell us about it.
If they eliminated your position, tell us about it.
If you're tired of being a part of the traveling thug/manager act, tell us about it.
If you've moved on and have advice for others, please share your stories.

The Dillard's are watching. Barrington Investments is being kept abreast. The truth sets us free.

Just a few rules:

- real stories, not real names (it's a bad time to get fired ya know)
- don't enter your zip code when you sign up
- speak up and tell your Dillard's story

They can't arbitrate all of us!

Can you be more specific about the silent layoffs of ASMs? Is this company wide? I think this is what went on in our store. A lot of good people that gave their careers to Dillards (and cared about Dillards) were swept to the curb.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donno Canetti in Shalimar, Florida

55 months ago

System entrenchment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I heard Dil is younging down the staff and getting rid of the oldsters say over 40. Is that true????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zahre in Texas

54 months ago

Donno Canetti in Shalimar, Florida said: I heard Dil is younging down the staff and getting rid of the oldsters say over 40. Is that true????

Every Manager in my store that was over 40 was fired( for various made up reasons)and replaced with someone under 30. They fire you so that you can't collect unemployment and fight you all the way if you do try to collect. In November of 2008 they had a press release saying they were eliminating 500 salaried jobs. I think I know where they did it. They aren't training the new ones( who have very little experience in retail) and turnover with the new ASM's is very high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

The manager, at the store, I worked for told me that I had to resign, and I told her, no I don't have to resign and I did not resign, and I stated in no uncertain terms -- you can go ahead--- lay me off or whatever. I collected unemployment for 9 months and yea they tried to contest but were overruled by the Fla. Unemployment Dept, and I was given Unemployment benefits and collected until I went back to work in July , 2009. Anybody that resigns is not doing themselves any favors. Dont resign let them walk you to the door. I was walked to the door in Oct . 2008.

Zahre in Texas said: Every Manager in my store that was over 40 was fired( for various made up reasons)and replaced with someone under 30. They fire you so that you can't collect unemployment and fight you all the way if you do try to collect. In November of 2008 they had a press release saying they were eliminating 500 salaried jobs. I think I know where they did it. They aren't training the new ones( who have very little experience in retail) and turnover with the new ASM's is very high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Disgusted at dillards in Navarre, Florida

53 months ago

Hey Donno it is much worse in the store since they changed the management. Everyone said there is no one worse then Ms L well they were wrong

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Yea , that's what I have heard , of course , I have been gone out of there since Oct, 08.I can not believe I got sucked into the trap of staying for 2 1/2 years. It was not sweet. I think the thing about Ms. L is that she was not consistent with anyone.Just my impression of her.

Disgusted at dillards in Navarre, Florida said: Hey Donno it is much worse in the store since they changed the management. Everyone said there is no one worse then Ms L well they were wrong

52 months ago

I heard another person got the door out of mens department. Alleged violation 'fighting on the floor'.

Disgusted at dillards in Navarre, Florida said: Hey Donno it is much worse in the store since they changed the management. Everyone said there is no one worse then Ms L well they were wrong

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.