Fired for Filing a workers compensation claim - wrongful termination!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

reija2004 in Florence, Alabama

61 months ago

I heard the other day that one of the workers at a Dollar General in Florence, Alabama hurt her arm while working at one of the local Dollar General stores. She closed part of her arm in a register and ultimately ended up having to have her arm amputated!!! and then Dollar General fired her after she turned in a workers compensation claim! I can't believe it. Has anyone else heard of Dollar General firing anyone because they filed a comp claim against them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Dover, Delaware

53 months ago

reija2004 in Florence, Alabama said: I heard the other day that one of the workers at a Dollar General in Florence, Alabama hurt her arm while working at one of the local Dollar General stores. She closed part of her arm in a register and ultimately ended up having to have her arm amputated!!! and then Dollar General fired her after she turned in a workers compensation claim! I can't believe it. Has anyone else heard of Dollar General firing anyone because they filed a comp claim against them?

I too was fired after filing 2 workers comp. claims against Dollar General. They are self insured and once an employee files a workers comp claims against them, Dollar General finds a way to terminate the employee. Dollar General does this all the time. It has been a nightmare for me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Dover, Delaware

53 months ago

I have researched a number of cases involving Dollar General terminating an employee after they have filed a workers comp. claim. I believe that legal action needs to be taken against to stop them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Dover, Delaware

53 months ago

Yes, they can, but they will say that you were terminated for some other reason. They will invent some other reason for terminating you and say that terminated you with cause and not pay you the workers compensation benefits. You will have to take them to court to get paid your benefits. Dollar General is notorious for this practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Denton in Denton, Texas

53 months ago

Wow that's horrible if true. I would love to read a little from your sources if you would be so kind? I'm sure your sources could help many.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Dover, Delaware

53 months ago

Read Upchurch VS Dollar General. It was a case in Kentucky. I think that you will find it very interesting. There are several cases on-line regarding an employee getting terminated for some BS reason and only after they have file a workers comp claim.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ponder in Plano, Texas

39 months ago

Denton in Denton, Texas said: Wow that's horrible if true. I would love to read a little from your sources if you would be so kind? I'm sure your sources could help many.

Hi denton,

I work for Dollar General and recently hurt my back. But they haven't told me to go to the dr or hospital. When I ask they ignore me. I work in denton and I was just wandering if you knew where I go. Do I go to presb. or denton regional or carenow? Or does it even matter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Gainesville, Florida

38 months ago

Ponder, I don't quite think your getting the concept of workmans comp. If you were hurt on the job, then they are legally required to offer it. If they haven't, well, you could sue them for quite a bit of money. If you just show up to a hospital and say the tabs on DG, then you'll get laughed straight out the door.

Talk to your manager and see if he/she finally caves and offers it, or skates around the subject. If they beat around the bush, just drop it and leave it at that. Contact any of the big workmans comp firms(in your area, do some research and get a good one) that work on retainer (You only pay them if they win, and it is a % of the settlement). I'm sure they would all be licking their chops for such a case if it's literally as simple as they just ignored offering it to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

T in Dyersville, Iowa

37 months ago

reija2004 in Florence, Alabama said: I heard the other day that one of the workers at a Dollar General in Florence, Alabama hurt her arm while working at one of the local Dollar General stores. She closed part of her arm in a register and ultimately ended up having to have her arm amputated!!! and then Dollar General fired her after she turned in a workers compensation claim! I can't believe it. Has anyone else heard of Dollar General firing anyone because they filed a comp claim against them?

After today I no longer am employed by Dollar General. I was injured on 6/11/2011, filed a workman's compensation claim, was off for four months. Then today I get a text message from the manager of the store informing me that I was terminated because my position was filled while off on unprotected leave! There has got to be something all of can do, because this company will continue to get away with it!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sassy girl in Douglas, Georgia

34 months ago

i worked at a dollar store from sep 08 til aug of 09 in march of 2009 after we closed the store one friday night i was just promoted to 3rd key holder i was mopping the floor while the manager counted my register i slid and fell i thought i just pulled muscles in my back and let it go but 2 weeks later i was still in pain so they sent me to a w/c dr he said nothang was wrong with me and treated me for inflamation of the back well in july of 09 he released me well i didnt have a lawyer because i needed a job well 2 weeks kater the d/s said my registar came up short well i went and talk to a lawyer and they sent me to a neurosurgeon and come to find out the same mri the wc dr took was the same one the neur dr looked at and he said i needed a mylogram so i had a 3 hernated disk and a pinched nerve in my back the ds store said they was not paying for my surgery because i was fired becase i register came up short but i setteld with 60,000 dollars i still lam unable to go back to work and waiting to get my ssi started the ds is a sorry ass company .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

sassy girl in Douglas, Georgia

34 months ago

ponder in Plano, Texas said: Hi denton,

I work for Dollar General and recently hurt my back. But they haven't told me to go to the dr or hospital. When I ask they ignore me. I work in denton and I was just wandering if you knew where I go. Do I go to presb. or denton regional or carenow? Or does it even matter?

go to the dr on your on they have to pay your hospital bill you will ahve to get a lawyer i had to get one

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Third times a charm in Troy, Missouri

33 months ago

Yes, they do it all the time. I was told I was NOT allowed to follow my doctor or work comp restriction after a work related surgery, if I wanted to keep my job. This resulted in a second injury to the same injury I had just has surgery on.A trip to the emergency room and a second surgery due to their lack of caring or understanding workmen comp laws. Who in their right mind makes a hurt worker work above and beyond their restrictions.... OOOOO I know the answer its DG.Needless to say I resigned from my postilion as sm . I am looking at surgery #3 now. Not sure if I need to file for disability or not. This has been a big mess for me, I have been out of work almost 2 years now and still fighting. three surgery's in 2 years is tough on the body mentally and physically. If any one wants to talk about their situation please let me know. Heck all I have is time lol lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kenna Catts in Warrenton, Missouri

29 months ago

Please if any one was harased or fired after filing a workmen comp case and you have documention of this please email Kennacatts@ yahoo.com. I am looking for hurt workers who are willing to tell their story . Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

reija2004 in Florence, Alabama

29 months ago

Kenna Catts in Warrenton, Missouri said: Please if any one was harased or fired after filing a workmen comp case and you have documention of this please email Kennacatts@ yahoo.com. I am looking for hurt workers who are willing to tell their story . Thanks

Do you represent an attorney?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nanawolfg1 in Dora, Alabama

28 months ago

reija2004 in Florence, Alabama said: Do you represent an attorney ?

I would like to hear from all injured then terminated employees of Dollar General. nanawolfg1@yahoo.com. No, I'm not an attorney. But I have one. Contact me and we'll talk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Workers Comp in Pittsboro, Indiana

28 months ago

I am interested in all cases of workers comp against Dollar General, please contact me at berdiejoy@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Karen in Dover, Delaware said: Yes, they can, but they will say that you were terminated for some other reason. They will invent some other reason for terminating you and say that terminated you with cause and not pay you the workers compensation benefits. You will have to take them to court to get paid your benefits. Dollar General is notorious for this practice.

Go to "Injured Dollar General Employees" on facebook they will direct to an attorney.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

ponder in Plano, Texas said: Hi denton,

I work for Dollar General and recently hurt my back. But they haven't told me to go to the dr or hospital . When I ask they ignore me. I work in denton and I was just wandering if you knew where I go. Do I go to presb. or denton regional or carenow? Or does it even matter?

Go to Injured Dollar General Employees, on Facbook they willdirect you from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.