What's the company culture at Dollar General?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 316)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dollar General?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Dollar General?

Reply - Report abuse

betty in Fleming, Georgia

90 months ago

my niece works for them and i wish she didnt, her boss is mean and because she won/t sleep with she is thearten with losing her job. it is a bad place to work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

MIKE B. in Josephine, Texas

90 months ago

betty said: my niece works for them and i wish she didnt, her boss is mean and because she won/t sleep with she is thearten with losing her job. it is a bad place to work

YOUR NIECE NEEDS TO REPORT THIS TO HER DISTRICT SUPERVISOR PLUS IF SHE HAS NOT ALREADY DOCUMENT IN WRITING THE FACTS

WHEN IT OCCURED THE FIRST TIME
EACH TIME AFTER
EXACT ACTIONS/EXACT WORDS
DATES/TIMES
WITNESSES
IMPACT IT HAD ON YOUR WELL BEING EXAMPLES:LOSS OF SLEEP/LOSS OF WEIGHT/FEAR/ SCHEDULING ISSUES LESS HOURS/MORE UNDESIREABLE SHIFTS
OTHER CO-WORKERS YOU MAY HAVE TOLD ABOUT THIS
FROM THIS POINT FORWARD DO NOT DISCUSS THIS WITH ANYONE ELSE BUT YOUR DISTRICT SUPERVISOR
ONCE YOU REPORT THIS TO THE SUPERVISOR THE BALL IS IN THE COMPANYS HANDS AND THEY ARE EXPECTED TO ADDRESS THIS WITH A 911 SENSE OF URGENCY.

I'M A FORMER RETAIL DISTRICT MANAGER WHO HAS INVESTIGATED AND BROUGHT TO CONCLUSION NEARLY FIFTY ISSUES YOUR NIECE IS EXPERIENCING OVER AN 18 YEAR PERIOD.

BEST OF LUCK ON THIS AND PLEASE TELL THE TRUTH EVEN IF IT HURTS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

89 months ago

The Dollar General website has a phone number for their corporate HQ here http://www.dollargeneral.com/aboutus/generalinformation.aspx Hope that helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

somewhere in west michigan in Holland, Michigan

89 months ago

Now mind you, I worked for DG as a 3rd key, then assist Mgr and from there went up. I absolutely loved the work..Yet I love physical work. Our store could unload and put up our truck, usually consisting of a load which weight out at 3000 to 7,000 lbs. The store manager who is still there, knows how to run a store and work with people. They tripped into her, apparently.

However, the DM for the most part are overworked, stressed out, and a joke...If DG could get ride of the Corporate bs and most of the incompetent DM, they'd be much better off.

The hours of the store are contingent upon the sales..If marketing isn't done right, or the store isn't clean, sales usually drop.. Okay not the hottest employer, to say the least, yet get into a good store, busy, with a good manager whose a people person and it could be a good place to work, provided you like to eat a mile of someone's Crap..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

WishingWell

88 months ago

Our 'uniform' would be khaki slacks/skirts and black polo shirts. This uniform is somewhat flexible, depending upon the DM. For instance, some employees are allowed to wear a nice black shirt other than a polo.

I would say the culture or environment of the store depends greatly upon the SM. He/she sets the tone of the store. I am an employee, but have visited many other stores anonymously, both in and out of my district. You can 'feel' the vibes of the store, and can tell whether or not the SM has created a team environment, or if the employees hate/don't care about their jobs. You can also tell just by looking at the store if there is a team effort, or an 'all about me' attitude by the employees.

A typical day in DG is mostly hectic. Only very flexible people, IMHO, can make good employees. No two days are ever the same.
You have customers who have needs and demands, that you must attend to.
You have to be able to start a project, be interrupted, and be able to come back and pick it up later. Maybe a few minutes later, maybe a few hours, maybe the next day.

A DG store has a fast paced pulse, and is not for the unmotivated. There is always something to do. Always more work than can ever be accomplished in the time allotted. When you throw in a crisis, you get behind, unable to ever truly catch up.

The equipment we work with in our store is mediocre at best. This is one source of our crisis mode. We are in dire need of a complete upgrade of the register systems. We lose business due to our system being down. When an EBT or ATM cannot be used, it cuts deeply into our sales. The ERC aide for fixes never really fixes our system. I am hoping the buyout will give the cash flow for upgrades that will help us with this situation.
I know, that is likely a dream.

Happy hour? No. I see my coworkers more than I see my family. The schedule varys every week, but contain evenings, weekends and holidays. All the times my family home. I cherish my home life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jenn

88 months ago

I am now employed with d.g. at the moment I work pretty much 40 hr. weeks I can honestly say that at my store it is pretty well kept up and we all do a pretty good job. I feel that it all depends on how the store is ran and runs it. I feel pretty lucky to work in a great store, too bad thay all can't be like ours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Jenn Palacios Tx.

88 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dollar General?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Dollar General?

I work for d.g. my boss is great and we all have fun at work. A typical day at my store is on truck day if gets there early enough we start on it if not the next day we get started. wE CAN USUALLY GET IT DONE IN two days. I usually run the register and work on totes. then at 5 i start to recover our store is pretty clean and in order our boss and the rest of us believe in having a clean and organized store our customers seem to appreciate that as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

retailGIRL

87 months ago

OOPS I THINK I SAID IT WRONG, IM THINKING ON GETTING ABOARD WITH DG. IWOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE POSTIVE ABOUT IT AS WELL AS THE BAD. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THIS. THANK YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jenn Palacios Tx.

87 months ago

retailGIRL said: OOPS I THINK I SAID IT WRONG, IM THINKING ON GETTING ABOARD WITH DG. IWOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE POSTIVE ABOUT IT AS WELL AS THE BAD. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THIS. THANK YOU

Dollare General is really good to work for I have been there going on my first year I think with any store it all depends on who is the manager and how they run things in there store. My store is really great to work in we all get along and have fun at the same time. Our manager likes to keep a clean store. We all work together and have the same pride in the store and think that is what is important is if you like where you work and the people also you can pretty much bet dollar general is the place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

retailGIRL

87 months ago

well ty jenn, this is the first good postive advise, and i do agree with you all depends who is the manager , im going as a store manager in training , and all i hear is bad stuff. but you are right,it depends on the managers , you give respect in order to get respect . and treat others like you like to be treat. you need to like your job if not you well be unhappy in what you do, and make everyone unhappy as well. but ty for the postive advise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

trina rose in Carpentersville, Illinois

83 months ago

I recently quit DG for numerous reasons, one i was promised my own sore within 3 months i went through the store manager 2 week training course and was certified its been 6 months and still no store of my own, they had me traveling everywhere to fill in for others, and because of this my car is now dead, they never gave me store manager pay, they never gave me my reimbursement for gas miles, when i was first hired with the company i was informed that new stores were being built so i would be able to get my own, and my raise, which i needed badly well that never happened instead i was told months later that no stores are being opened and everyone is fully staffed so here i was full time status with no work or hours for weeks, another thing when my daughter got sick i was told to bring her to work with me, when i needed to take her to the hospital instead, im sorry but my children come first, needless to say i did not work that day...ive had nothing but problems with this company, they always screwed up on my checks..and now i have a check for a whole 7 hours i worked last week, that they are holding, because this bitter store manager claims i still have her store keys, ( i absolutely do not have)...so now here i am jobless, carless, cant affors daycare or any bills for that matter.I would never suggest anyone ever work for this company....or shop there for that matter the quality of the product from my experience is bad.,
sincerly,
T.R.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

azzsezfl sezfl in Brooksville, Florida

81 months ago

I am an employee for DG, the company hired an unprepared unqualified store manager as he DM because the RM didnt want to do the job herself. There has been ramped accusations of racism raised directly to the RM and her Boss that have been undertaken by the DM but because the RM doesnt want to get stuck doing the job herself she has ignored all the complaints. You can document all you want DG will just ignore the complaints until they get sued or have some agency investigate them. Recently a black female employee went to my RM's boss about charges of racism and still nothing has changed.
This is typical corporate america deny deny deny and when u get caught lie lie lie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I know someone else with the same issue she is now suing DG, And as for me i am still trying to get my travel pay its now 2 months later, the DM will not return my calls or emails anymore and i can never get a hold of anyone at the corp. office, that wants to help me instead they just keep on giving me the run around...any recommendations?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Here is Kathleen R. Guion's email address.......she is head of DG store operations. Maybe she is another DG pencil pusher, maybe not, who knows........
Based on Florida's SOP she couldn't be much worst..........

Kguion@ dollargeneral.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

betty in Fleming, Georgia said: my niece works for them and i wish she didnt, her boss is mean and because she won/t sleep with she is thearten with losing her job. it is a bad place to work

Hey Betty, weren't the one fired in Florida in the ST. Pete area with the car saleman bf???? Your profile on aff is quite interesting....
Guess that mentor thing didn't work out so great huh........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lil me in Texas

80 months ago

I have worked for dolloar general for 13 months now. I was transfered to another store within 6 months to be third key. I did not mind this because i new the manager there. I am now about to put in my 2 weeks notice because when does a third key get cut back to 25 hours and asm gets cut to under 28 hours. And don't the clerks get their hours by their senority. Since when does a clerk who has worked for 2 months get more hours than a clerk who has been there 6 months longer. The customers complain about the manager all the time and the Dm says he is going to take care of it. If you are thinking about working for dollar general run don't walk the other the way. They do not treat their employees right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Folks the mass walkout was 1/5/2007, not 2003. Hey just a DG typo, HAHA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DGMGR in Illinois

80 months ago

Want to talk about discrimination with a regional... My regional, Frank Venturella told my district manager that because i wouldn't transfer to a store to clean it up... again and my 5th store to clean in 5 years, he wanted me fired and now because of that he told my DM I have no chance of moving up with the company... Is this a company wide problem or what? I'm giving my notice in a few days and I have a 5 page letter being sent to all the head and corporate and my divisional... Not that it'll do any good but i'm going to try, so hopefully noone has to go through what I did.. I love my job and my crew but I can't do it anymore and why do i want to stay if i'm not going anywhere... Real boost in the morale huh!?!?!?!?!?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

Annie6409 in Muncie, Illinois

79 months ago

DGMGR in Illinois said: Want to talk about discrimination with a regional... My regional, Frank Venturella told my district manager that because i wouldn't transfer to a store to clean it up... again and my 5th store to clean in 5 years, he wanted me fired and now because of that he told my DM I have no chance of moving up with the company... Is this a company wide problem or what? I'm giving my notice in a few days and I have a 5 page letter being sent to all the head and corporate and my divisional... Not that it'll do any good but i'm going to try, so hopefully noone has to go through what I did.. I love my job and my crew but I can't do it anymore and why do i want to stay if i'm not going anywhere... Real boost in the morale huh!?!?!?!?!?!

I feel for you and have been told that Family Dollar pays better anyway. Same basic work for more pay. Watch your back....Dm's will try to bad mouth you to discredit your reputation. I too loved my crew and worked hard to increase sales and cleanliness of my store.....was fired for fictitious reasons.

79 months ago

Annie6409 in Muncie, Illinois said: I was a DG Manager that was treated poorly and thought it was all behind me, recentlywas issued an EQUAL PAY ACT LAWSUIT. Does anyone know about Wanda Womack and her suit?

HI Annie,
Is that the Lawsuit against the SM in Arlignton Hights?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Annie6409 in Muncie, Illinois

79 months ago

Lawsuit against DG and attorney's from Alabama. Female Managers not being paid what male managers make in same position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

viola in Corpus Christi, Texas

79 months ago

I worked at DG in Corpus Christi,TX. on Greenwood Dr. We have an assistant manager from hell. He wrote everyone up he didn't like and the ones he liked he would put money in for their shortages and not write up the ones he favored. Company policy does not do any good with him. He is a felon and was charged with sexual harrassment within the company. He's still there.I didn't show up for work one day and he already has me as a no hire. I talked to the other assistant the next day and told her I wanted a transfer.He turned this around and I am a no hire. Now is this fair or what? The DM is no better I've told her about him and no results.I'm trying to still transfer as of yet I haven't heard anything. At least at another store where I'll be treated fairly. Another day at DG!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Does anyone know the email address for corporate office of dollar general?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

viola in Corpus Christi, Texas said: Does anyone know the email address for corporate office of dollar general?

I seen this email on this forum, and found it VERY helpful......I had to email my complaint to this email address and she was very helpful....
Kguion@ dollargeneral.com

...you dont need this job hunnie, and you dont deserve to be treated like that. There are so many good companies to work for. Well good luck to you and hope the email address I gave you is helpful.
:o)
Tri

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Well it's going on a week since they fired me for missing a day. I wrote about the assist. manager from hell. Well I went to pick up my check and found out that an employee(one of the hellish managers favorites) has not been showing up for work and does not call in! Has she been fired? NO! I have currently taken it to the top no results yet. I'm thinking about sueing what do you think?? Need a response please!!!
Desperate x employee!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

not right in leachville, Arkansas

79 months ago

hey thank for the e mail

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dgproblems

78 months ago

After reading this I believe I am being set up. I run a good store but I had a bad inventory of 10.5%. Everyone knows its the assistant. I have asked for cameras,an alarm system (which most stores have) but have gotten no help. Now they are acussing me of everything from not working enough hours to a sexual harassment remark.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joey flanagan in Perryton, Texas

78 months ago

i have worked at DG for almost 5 months now, and i am ready to leave. i had everything done to me from telling me to get someone to watch my sick son to never getting a break no matter how many hrs i work. however, this week was the worse. i went into work today and their was a note in between the registers saying that there was a store meeting on easter sunday at 9am. the note also stated that if you don't come to the meeting you are fired. all easter services start around 9am, so my manager is making us choose between the store or the Lord. I refused to go to the meeting. A customer saw the note and went to the manager to complain, after this i was excused from the meeting. However i feel my job is threaten because the manager is a Bi**h anyway. i would like to start a class action lawsuit, however i don't know where to begin...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lega36cy in Platteville, Wisconsin

78 months ago

viola in Corpus Christi, Texas said: Well it's going on a week since they fired me for missing a day. I wrote about the assist. manager from hell. Well I went to pick up my check and found out that an employee(one of the hellish managers favorites) has not been showing up for work and does not call in! Has she been fired? NO! I have currently taken it to the top no results yet. I'm thinking about sueing what do you think?? Need a response please!!!
Desperate x employee!!!!!!

You are an AT-WILL employee. They can fire you for any reason or no reason at all. They did it to me. I quit my job in Chicago, which also gave me a home, to take over this location in Platteville Wi. I find out 5 days after taking over the store the keys were being left outside by Key holders. In trying to contact my DM about changing the keys and the access codes to the store and safe, I got no response. Money ends up missing, my assistant manager who was new too, quits, and 1st key lead quits 2 days after the money goes missing. NOTHING was done as far as an investigation until 30 days later!
They come in asking for my keys saying it was policy while an investigation was going on. I waited the last 2 months when they finally call me saying we are not going to bring you back. NO evidence pointing to me, NOTHING! They say it was a violation in company policy and misappropriation of funds. Even though I didn't do it, and they couldn't find out who did, they had to place the blame on the last person responsible. THE MANAGER! UNBELIEVABLE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

joey flanagan in Perryton, Texas said: i have worked at DG for almost 5 months now, and i am ready to leave. i had everything done to me from telling me to get someone to watch my sick son to never getting a break no matter how many hrs i work. however, this week was the worse. i went into work today and their was a note in between the registers saying that there was a store meeting on easter sunday at 9am. the note also stated that if you don't come to the meeting you are fired. all easter services start around 9am, so my manager is making us choose between the store or the Lord. I refused to go to the meeting. A customer saw the note and went to the manager to complain, after this i was excused from the meeting. However i feel my job is threaten because the manager is a Bi**h anyway. i would like to start a class action lawsuit, however i don't know where to begin...

Count me in if you figure it out!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

lil me in Texas said: I have worked for dollar general for 13 months now. I was transfered to another store within 6 months to be third key. I did not mind this because i new the manager there. I am now about to put in my 2 weeks notice because when does a third key get cut back to 25 hours and asm gets cut to under 28 hours. And don't the clerks get their hours by their seniority. Since when does a clerk who has worked for 2 months get more hours than a clerk who has been there 6 months longer. The customers complain about the manager all the time and the Dm says he is going to take care of it. If you are thinking about working for dollar general run don't walk the other the way. They do not treat their employees right.

The store manager has to follow a matrix schedule. The assistant store manager is the one who receives the majority of hours, then the 1st key lead person. The hours are based on the last years sales. I think the DM goes by monthly hours, because I got a phone call from her saying I have to shorten my hours by 4 or 8 or whatever, which means, I have to either work those hours alone, or fill in those hours and send someone home early. I know it stinks, and I tried giving my staff as many hours that were available without hiring on new people that would have shortened their hours.
More $$$ in the DM pockets in the end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

DGDM in Irving, Texas said: I have worked for DG for 2 years.I am a District Manager. I have never worked for a company that berates and uses their employees such as this. The mentality is work them till they quit then fill the position and start all over. The retail stores are run on approximately 140 per week. In this, the stores will receive a minimum 1000 piece truck which every week which is to be "door to floor" in 2 days. Stores usually operate with a manager, an asst. mgr. a 3rd key and 1 or 2 part timers. Many complain of store conditions but there is little to be done when most times only 1 employee is working. Waiting on customers, running register and getting frieght up. The working conditions are horrible, not only at the store level but also in the field. I DO NOT suggest DG to anyone looking for a retail position. Sales have fallen consistently for the past 2 years since the new CEO [name removed], (who's claim is to be on the top ten executives with great golf handicaps who's company has the worst performing stock and sales. [name removed] who is in charge of store operations who has bankrupted the last 3 companies she worked for. With this kind of ineptness who would expect anything more?

I could tell you my story if you ever wish to hear it. It finally came to an end and my stay with Dollar General was closed even before I took over the store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

jones

78 months ago

Call your Department of Labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

treatedbadly

77 months ago

DG is a joke to work for. They expect you to work twice as hard for 1/2 the pay of any other retail store. In our store you can be scheduled for 8 hours or 16 hours in a day and get no breaks. And it is legal because in my state there are no break laws. They treat you like you should have no life outside of DG. And god forbid you have a death in your family, you mind as well forget about going to the funeral or you will get fired for not being at work. DG is insensitive and Corporate only cares about making money not about the well being of it's employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

true true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

areider in Lafayette, Louisiana

77 months ago

Can someone please help me out and give me some advice please on what to do if you want to transfer? I asked a few people about it but no one seems to want to tell me. I think its because my store manager does not want to lose me. We have a store manager,assistant manager,and 2 3rd keys . I am a third key. You would not believe how many nights i have worked by my self from 2 to close while busting my butt to put out as much truck as i could and on top of that recovery and also running the register! It feels like im the only one that cares about the store.I guess you could also say that we really dont have a store manager because he/she is never there. I strongly agree that I should be getting the store managers salary because I do their job.Please help me someone. I need some advice asap . i really like this company but i want to work at a store with people that want to work and a store manager that shows up to work and does their job and cares about the store how they are suppost to.....thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I may be jaded, but I don't see it happening.
I would say follow protocal by speaking to your manager, then your district manager, an so on. If you overstep your bounds, it would be cause for dismissal.
I too loved working for DG, but it wasn't in gods hands to keep me there. I see it as I was there for a reason, only god see why. I only see it as I was a means to an end to fill an empty position during the rush holiday season.
They can terminate you for any reason or no reason at all. Your an AT will employee. So if you cause problems...(your transfer)
you may find yourself without a job, no matter how hard you work.
Sorry, I wish I had some good news for you, but I don't. See my posts above for more info on my upset with the co.
take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

thank you for your advice and i understand what you are saying.I know that every job has its problems but i know i can find a better one in no time its really not that big of a deal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I love my job and the company dont get me wrong

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I did too. It was devistating to me. I had never been in that position before and not believed on my integrity and background.
I gave them my all, and even missed x-mas with my kids in Chicago and my daughters birthday. I never knew...they wouldn't want to know the truth. Just conveniently forget...their own mistakes and put all the blame on someone knew.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dbeasley in SHELBYVILLE, Tennessee

76 months ago

My fiancee works at a Dollar General Market and the things that go on there need to be investigated privately. She tries to be nice to the lead cashier and the (new) store manager, and they treat her like complete dirt. The first day she worked, I went in there to return her car keys, and was treated rudely by Sonya, telling me that she did not work there. Sonya's attitude really needs an uplifting, and the store manager needs to quit being a smart aleck to his employees. I have gone in there myself without my fiancee there, and all Sonya does is talk to her friends for 30 to 45 minutes at a time on company time. I have also seen cashiers call for a manager (when Sonya is working) and they have to wait 5 to 10 minutes for a response and the customer has to wait also. My fiancee has asked to be transferred, and no action has been taken. My fiancee also got written up for something really not associated with the company and when she asked for a copy of the write-up, she was told that it was company property and that she could not have a copy! I know if the District Manager knew what was going on in that store, he would be livid. Before I forget, I also need to say that Sonya and another manager like to talk rude and nasty to their employees in front of customers, and they are managers of the store. Please look into this matter privately so if any new employees start there, they do not have to go through with what everyone else is going through!

harry potter in anywhere, Kentucky

76 months ago

hey want to know the real story well let me give you mine I spent over 10 yrs with dg and in the beginning it was great ryder delivered every two weeks 2000 plus cartons at my first store 4 employees and myself we had a close nit group and that made things work well being a man I tried to unload the trucks to help the ladies out not because they were less but because i was a manager and could have a coke when i could get 1 they on the other hand killed themselves to stay ahead and the only reward they got was the day off I could accomadate them with only raise was once a yr and i made sure they got that!i went on to 9 other stores usally cleaning them up and fixing 16% shrink during which I trained everyone to do everyones job and my asst always took the managers job when i left again the only thing i could do to get them more money that they def. deserved at the end of ten yrs i was putting in 70+ jrs a week keeping my store clean and never seeing the office just freight now if you want a stock job paying an average of 5.00 hr never home and constantly about to loose your position from the rule change outputted every night like not being allowed to clock in more than 1 hr. a week so noone could say you worked more than 45 hrs a week then go for it its a boot camp thats for sure would I do it again? now do you really want me to answer that and I was one of the higher paid mgrs. in my district and surrounding 1 as well and btw i was suponed to give a dep in the dg lawsuit where they tried to make me out a liar when i really wasnt gonna say anything 1 way or other til they accused me of so many things I dropped the bag on them with all their hidden rules like I signed a paper stating that I wouldnt have to work over 45 a week well 72 is more than 45 and running a reg is not managment stocking is a way of life just ask the customer if they want to win that lawsuit the customer will know as they are generally neighborhood people who know how dollar general is run worse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MauEvig in Arkport, New York

76 months ago

I work at a local dollar general store in my area. I've been there for about two months and granted, I enjoy the retail type of work.
However, when I asked my store manager about advancement, she blew me off.
Allow me to elaborate...I asked her (my store manager)...and she told me to ask the district manager. The district manager told me to talk to my store manager. Alright cool right? My store manager said we were going to discuss it over a cup of coffee.
But then she kept blowing me off, and finally after one of our assistant managers said something to her, she talked to me saying that I wasn't ready. In the mean time, she'd been training the new girl who had only been there for a couple weeks.
The new girl had no prior experiance in management and it's not like my work history is all that pretty...but from what I heard she didn't have much of a work history herself.
I'd been at this job longer and I've been giving them 110% of my efforts and instead of telling me right up front and saying that I wasn't ready, she went behind my back and started training the new girl.
The assistant manager said that the store manager told HER that I hadn't been working there long enough.
Alright...so why is she training the new girl?
I left a voice mail with my district manager because I plan to speak with her about this. I've put a lot of time and effort into this company coming in on my days off and even driving to another store that was an hour away, and considering the high gas prices that's nothing to overlook. I'd also helped out at another local store down town.
I've been doing the best I can, serving this company, and then the new girl for no reason whatsoever despite what the store manager told the assistant manager that *I* had not been working there long enough, started to train the new girl.
And guess what? The store manager told me yesterday that this new girl was made a fourth key by the district manager.
I feel slapped in the face about this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

welcome to the Dollar General way they just want to use you for the stripe on their uniform bit of advice... refuse anything that isnt your job description constantly remind them that the new girl needs the training if shes gonna be able to do her job and if you do what is expected and only your job description they cant fire you for that and you know what if they do no harm for you because plenty of jobs out their that pay the same and treat you better than youll be treated there I promise you that
I never looked over an employee willing and able to be promoted but it boils down to what the sm and dm say which most of the time is BS and you cant beat the bs at the dg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

why dont everyone send anonymous letters to home office and end it with you have proof (if you do have real proof pictures recordings etc solid not he said she said forward a copy only keep original bet some results would have to happen there or the upper dm rm etc would have to answer some serios questions plus it would be a huge laugh...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

harry potter in anywhere, Kentucky said: why dont everyone send anonymous letters to home office and end it with you have proof (if you do have real proof pictures recordings etc solid not he said she said forward a copy only keep original bet some results would have to happen there or the upper dm rm etc would have to answer some serios questions plus it would be a huge laugh...

I'm going one better...e-mailing everyone i can think of who has access to e-mail until I get a response. So far Kathleen Guion is the only one to respond to any of my e-mail. There in only to point me in the right direction.
Honestly, if I had proof of what was promised me...I wouldn't be in the mess. It's just sad, how they treat it's employees. Later I found out another store had to start getting rid of their longer standing employees for younger and fresher ones. All because they couldn't afford to pay the older ones their hourly rate anymore. If you could save say...$2.00 an employee times about 3 per store times how many stores? Thats a hefty bundle in their pockets.
So since I have been cleared through the police dept. of any wrong doing, they HAVE to amend my termination papers. If they don't...well isn't that like they are fudgeing employee records? That isn't good for my permanent record is it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

matatdollargeneral in spanish fort, Alabama

73 months ago

dgproblems said: After reading this I believe I am being set up. I run a good store but I had a bad inventory of 10.5%. Everyone knows its the assistant. I have asked for cameras,an alarm system (which most stores have) but have gotten no help. Now they are acussing me of everything from not working enough hours to a sexual harassment remark.

10.5% WOW.. That is alot more than the assistant manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

MauEvig in Arkport, New York

73 months ago

Those jerks fired me. Just because I accepted a check for 250 dollars without manager's approval...and evidently it turned out to be a bad check.
Yet the stupid computer took it! I don't see what the big deal was. They told me the bank didn't accept it.
But y'know what? Those jerks were just looking for some way to get rid of me anyway. I knew it. I tell you what, I won't spend a single dime in that store anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MrB in Denver, Colorado

73 months ago

To MauEvig
Your firing was correct because you did not have a member of management OK the check.There is a thing called CYA otherwise known as cover your ass and you elected not to do it and you paid the price.Live and learn brother. You're probably young enough to bounce back from this. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.