What's the company culture at Dressbarn?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (38)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dressbarn?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Dressbarn?

Reply - Report abuse

LynnB in Santa Ana, California

68 months ago

I agree with Meggars. There had been lots of pressures at Dress Barn. Employees were forced to be on top of each other and that created dramas among themselves. It was all about making sales goals and constantly, we had to have VIP parties. If we couldn't have VIP party in one month, then district manager would get to be very 'dictactor' bombarding us with questions on why we didn't make one, etc. That was so unheard of this moment sadly. Many times we were treated like in kindergarten grade about having to make poster, art works which was so unnecessary. My then employees were never happy at Dress Barn cause of unneccessary pressures coming from distrcit manager. I don't know what else to say. It's been bad experiences working at Dress Barn. What good about Dress Barn is that there are great prices and great styles.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

One more thing, I started working at sales associate for one year then got promoted to be assistant manager for a year. Then I got promoted to be store manager for only 8 months. From the beginning, the then store manager was very friendly, courageous and caring. Everyone, employees and customers alike adored her. She had unbelievable great attitudes that we had chance to learn through her recuriting us. Till she had enough of pressures from district manager who never appreciated her. District manager turned out that she had bipolar disorder which was very sad. She would snap at us unprofessionally. I wish she could be replaced by someone who would care more and be very courageous to us. She had made several other managers quit cause of her ugly attitudes. When I tried communicating with her, she got pissed saying I'm the store manager. then other time, when I don't communicate with her cause of her, she got mad asking what happened to our communication? I was aware of her unstable mentality. She discharged me at my last day of job at Dress Barn cause she claimed of my falsifiying clock in. I was very shocked and hurt. I didn't knowingly falsified clock in. The other morning, on Sunday, both employee and I came to work on time at 10:30am and I figured that we didn't have deposit to be made at bank, we had time to get coffee. We got to work on time at 11am. District Manager got the report from the alarm company saying we got in at 11am. She got angry asking why was I late at work. My mind went blank as I couldn't explain at all to her. She gave me readying final check as goodbye as her way of kicking me out for good. I had done a great job running the store but she was never satisfied with me. She love to have any employees to be on her sides with hating others as I've noticed her repeating patterns. I don't understand on one point on her complaining on why I communicated with her constantly and other time, on why I didn't communicate with her.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I feel for employees at Dress Barn running under District Manager that she ought to be fired cause of her unstable mentality. I'm not going to continue on this issue. I enjoyed working at Dress Barn while she was not around and I had great customer relations. I would love to work again at Dress Barn only when that district manager would be replaced with other new district manager's better, caring, courageous attitudes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy Bunns in Colorado

67 months ago

LynnB in Santa Ana, California said: I feel for employees at Dress Barn running under District Manager that she ought to be fired cause of her unstable mentality. I'm not going to continue on this issue. I enjoyed working at Dress Barn while she was not around and I had great customer relations. I would love to work again at Dress Barn only when that district manager would be replaced with other new district manager's better, caring, courageous attitudes.

Dress Barn 'management' is a joke. My experience is they lack any type of formal education (college) and management experience training to begin with. It is a very caddy place to work when all of the micro managing kicks in and trickles down from the top. Certainly not worth the $8 per hour for just a part time side job. They need to realize that in this economy they should be planning on a loss this year and instead of revenue increase. Very unprofessional sniping between managers and associates in front of customers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

irma5@optonline.net in Matawan, New Jersey

53 months ago

A day in the life of working at Dress Barn starts at 9am where I, the salesgirl,cleans while the manager does the money for the bank. By 11am I am starving. Must wait to eat till 2pm. Munch on candy so I don't get sick until break. Waiting on customers, repeating the same spiel over and over and over all while unloading the dressing room, running clothes for customers,and trying to sell credit cards and by now my feet are killing me! On a half hour break I sit in my car to eat as the back room opens into the toilet and mold is growing on the walls. Its disgusting! The dressing room on db stinks badly as it was flooded, pooped in, peeded in, and puked in. The customers are starting to complain about the smell. We are forced to work in that stinking room. There are absolutly no perks like a water cooler or coffee. The "lunch room" has a teeny tiny microwave that is filthy and barely fits a coffee cup. After gobbeling down lunch I go back with 4 hours to go on my aching feet repeating the spiel. For us part time assocciates there are no commissions, bonuses, benefits, perks, prizes, raises, or thanks of any kind. The job is pure HELL! and demeaning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

peace love in bethpage, New York

48 months ago

Host said: Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dressbarn?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

Dressbarn is a horriable place to work for I've work there for a whole year and just coudn"t take it. you have to have a ceratin amont of sales goals which is bad because this is a non commission job so why should it matter. people steal your sales because they have to reach their sales goals and if they don't you get in trouble. I had to throw vip parties which were stupid. They never had enough hours to give assocaite, because all the managers had all the hours they were all full timer and the associate had to be parttime. and then the managers never wanted to help you close the store like clean up and put fitting away.This was At the store I work at i don't know about other dressbarns but the one I've work for i can tell you about. we had worker come and go Noone ever stayed more then two years which is so sad because the managers were mean and rude. i hated working there they wouldn't put you on the schdule but then when they wanted to use you cause they were to lazy to work they would call you in like one hour in tell you to be there in thirty mins. i had to quit. that place sucks and you will never move up. i work at a much better job now. i feel so much happier. Dressbarn has a lot of women working for them and women are drama and thats what happend the manager started getting jeasoul because of all of my sale if you are young don"t work there find another retail to work for. older people looking for a parttime job because they retire from there other job yes. younger people looking for a second job Hell No. this job is good for older people lookiing to make some cash

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

peace love in bethpage, New York

48 months ago

fg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

candlestick in Grand Rapids, Michigan

48 months ago

This situation happens alot in retail. It seems that there is a lack of communications from Corporate to the District Managers to the Store Management level. Insteed of each store following the same sudielines and procedures across the company they are running more or less by doing their own thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shoffss in Rexburg, Idaho

46 months ago

I was JUST fired from the dress barn here. It was total crap!!! I asked another associate if everything was ok because the store manager was crying in the office and the assistant who had been VERY ill was late, and they told me I was inciting gossip. Nevermind that the store manager bad mouthed current employees and previous employees to me...I was the gossip for asking if my coworkers knew if everything was ok. If this company wants to stay above the trend of poor retailers they need to get a serious grip on what REALLY happens in their stores. You are not paid commission, but yet can LOSE your job for "stealing sales". I have been called deceptive, manipulative, and every other nasty thing that comes to mind, and it is so offensive that I am in the process of suing dressbarn because the way they allow people to be treated is ILLEGAL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Soapfanoltl@aol.com in Keyport, New Jersey

41 months ago

irma5@optonline.net in Matawan, New Jersey said: I have been working at Dress Barn in NJ for just shy of 3 years. It is the worst job I even held. I hold my own in sales and made all my Pro's. I found out that a college girl was hired four weeks ago to do stock in the back room for 5 hours a day. She dresses in jeans, wathces tv on her computer, sits down to work , and goes on break without punching out. HERE'S THE KICKER! She makes more money than me! When I confronted the manager she was mad that we spoke about salary and now I am being segragated away from all employees so we can't talk. I did nothing wrong! I am 61 years old, don't even make $8.00 per hr, and being treated like a child in school. Being from the "old school" I help clean (everybody elses back hurts), fill in for all associates, only one who comes in on snow days risking my car and self, and recently I recieved a letter from corporate that a customer called them to report my excellent customer service skills. So when my manager said I have to earn a raise I was dumfounded. The people who run this store are deffinatly two faced and phony with a few exceptions. I promise that if I get Cathy shopped again I will strive for a 0. Also my back is killing me so I can't vaccuum anymore and I will be walking much slower, why husssel? With all the waste our store alone throws out on a daily basis ( poster paper,tons of cardboard, lots of plastic and paying UPS) recycling this waste could pay for a measely raise. I will be asking for a raise again soon. If I get no response I will write corporate and see how they reward thei emplyees.

Hey!I think I know who you are!It's gotten much worse since you left. Two of the managers were moved to other stores. Now were stuck w/ same store manager but 2 assistants who think they know it all and the newer one doesnt help put any clothes away or clean. She talks and puts out shipment. BTW I got a 0 for a Cathy Shop this past week! Very Proud! Haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joke in Malden, Massachusetts

41 months ago

i don't know if anyone reads this anymore but i'm going to share my story. i was not working at dressbarn for very long. my managers were rude. one day i had 6 customers approach me after they were rung up to tell me how rude the manager was and how they were going to report them to corporate. i had someone constantly breathing down my neck about my charges. i brought in so much money, and my upt's were amazing. the woman's side of the store is not as busy as the misses side so on days where it's not busy my upt wasn't all that great. i once had another associate tell me that it frustrated her that i wasn't selling shoes. supposedly she was given the title of "shoe manager" .. really? i'm pretty sure you're still an associate. just saying. everyday i'd come in the store and she'd tell me to pick 2 shoes of the day and tell her how i'm going to sell them. it got REALLY annoying. it was everyday. and then at the end of the night, the manager counts the money. which is acceptable, 'cause she needs to do it. but i was completely unaware that "sitting in the back room watching papers come out of a printer and not helping the associates clean" was part of her job description. i also didn't know that having the nerve to go up to an associate and asking them if they vacuumed a certain part of the store when they clearly see her struggling with the REFURBISHED AND BROKEN VACCUUMS was part of her job description either. why can't they help? complaining about how they have things to do and want to be out of here by ten the latest so i better move quick. gosh. i couldn't stand it. and unless they're paying me $15 an hr, the things they expect us to do is a little too much for only making $8.50. on top of all the things we have to worry about doing, we have them breathing down our necks about how we're not meeting a goal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joke in Malden, Massachusetts

41 months ago

and i don't know about any of you, but the prices are NOT affordable. the sale that's been going on for however long now, buy 2 dresses save $10? $5 each dress.. WHAT A BARGAIN! not. and convincing people to open charges when the percentage off is only 10%? what the heck is 10%? practically nothing. and rubbing in our faces, the fact that you're getting all of the charges standing at the register where people ALWAYS GO TO PAY and then mentioning that they could save 10% by opening a charge is a LOT easier than trying to do it in the fitting room, where they have a bunch of clothes that don't fit them correctly. and i'm doing something wrong and need to fix myself. HA! it's hard to get people to open charges when the "deal" is absolutely awful and we never have anything in their size. we have to try to get them to open charges in the fitting room? what if they don't even buy anything? i have so many put backs of things that don't fit correctly. it's discouraging when you bring 50 things into a fitting room and NONE of them fit. not only for us associates but for the customers, who then are tired of trying things on and just leave dissatisfied. what makes you think they will want to open a charge? ridiculous. they need to get their priorities straight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hit me, if u dare! in Stockton, California

40 months ago

joke in Malden, Massachusetts said: and i don't know about any of you, but the prices are NOT affordable. the sale that's been going on for however long now, buy 2 dresses save $10? $5 each dress.. WHAT A BARGAIN! not. and convincing people to open charges when the percentage off is only 10%? what the heck is 10%? practically nothing. and rubbing in our faces, the fact that you're getting all of the charges standing at the register where people ALWAYS GO TO PAY and then mentioning that they could save 10% by opening a charge is a LOT easier than trying to do it in the fitting room, where they have a bunch of clothes that don't fit them correctly. and i'm doing something wrong and need to fix myself. HA! it's hard to get people to open charges when the "deal" is absolutely awful and we never have anything in their size. we have to try to get them to open charges in the fitting room? what if they don't even buy anything? i have so many put backs of things that don't fit correctly. it's discouraging when you bring 50 things into a fitting room and NONE of them fit. not only for us associates but for the customers, who then are tired of trying things on and just leave dissatisfied. what makes you think they will want to open a charge? ridiculous. they need to get their priorities straight.

customer service! Fashion trend!..looks like, u have a very low % of!!!..:))...either, i suggest, u get urself retrain...or even better yet...QUIT!!!..if u don't get to know the customer,& what their interest are, and their fashion!...go ahead and bring in 50 things, to the fitting room! more go-backs to put back!..but dnt' take it to the customers & have them think negitive about dress barn!!!...if there's no size!...kall other dress barn!..one dress is already an affordable price! comparing to different retail stores! and 10% open credit! other place?..0%!vip! host 25%!guest 15%!senior 10%! $10 off 2 dress!..$25off of $50! save! save! save!..what more do u want? :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Stylish Stacy (gag) in Springfield, Missouri

38 months ago

I've worked at Dressbarn for almost one and a half years now. When I first got hired, I asked if I could have every Sunday off. I was told no, that Sundays were rotated, and I was expected to work at least two a month, but I would also have two off to balance it out. I have worked the last four Sundays in a row. I haven't worked with the same two people twice in that time period. Recently my manager put out schedules for the next four weeks. I was scheduled to work three of them, of course the one I have off being on the last weeks schedule. As a college freshman I need all the time I can get to study and complete homework. A co-worker was looking for some extra hours so I offered her my Sunday (9/11). That Friday (9/9) my boss confronted me in a very hateful manner demanding to know why I was switching my schedules around. I was confused. I was always told that as long as I got my shift covered and informed a manager of the change it was okay to switch shifts. I told her this, and that I needed the Sunday off to write a few papers due on Monday. She got right up in my face and said "Fine," but the tone in which she said it implied there would be consequences. I was scheduled to work yesterday (9/14) but upon showing up to work I was surprised to see I had been taken off the schedule. I was not notified. Futhermore, there were signs posted at the breaktable, on the door to the back office, and on the binder that holds the schedules that "You are given enough time to request days off, if you are unable to work the hours you are given you can leave."
We can no longer call in sick, even if we can getour shift covered. We are not allowed to trade shifts, and it has always been company policy that you must request time off a month in advance.
What if I get sick? Or in a car wreck you ask? I get fired for not being able to work.
Is this truly company policy? Or is my boss just torturing me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Soapfanoltl@aol.com in Old Bridge, New Jersey

35 months ago

Last post was 6 months ago and some managers have been switched out again.1 is a nice lady but she hardly helps with the fitting room returns but will put her name out there.It's not even like she focus' on operational things.Don't understand how she has been with the company for so long.The next manager is new to the company. She was trained in a smaller store,then started in our store on Black Friday. When I arrived that day, store manager told me how this newbie was at the register since they opened and had almost $700 in sales. She took 2 big sales from DBW side where store and other assistant manager were.Come to find out she was not even asking if anyone helped! This could be forgiven being it was her first day and you dont know if she was trained this way.Then, about a week ago, a coworker, said that she had put a DBCC App with her customer's purchases, so she knew she was getting it. This is the result of another manager who likes to take ppl's charges by saying they did not "sell" them. Anyway, come to find out this newbie manager took the charge for herself. She tried to blame 2other managers for it but she was the one who did take it but didn't own up. My coworker wants that charge replaced, which is only fair. This is a second job for her and only works 10hrs/week and has a hard time getting charges, which is holding her back from getting raise/pros. After my coworker discussed this situation with the store manager,who was there to witness that day,store manager said that she probably didn't mean it. This is the moment I realized that she is either two faced or wants to avoid confrontation at all costs. I am really sick over this and don't know what to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lacey in Frederick, Maryland

35 months ago

Can I just say, I agree with you all!! I worked for Dress Barn for a year, and during my first 5 months I was promoted to Assistant Manager, my numbers were phenomenal. My Manager was awesome...until October...something happened in her family, and she began yelling at me all the time, every day was something, and I was in tears, 12 hour shifts with no break. And being threatened to be stabbed with a pen by one employee and cornered and grabbed by another. WORSE place ever! And upper management...a joke! I went to my District and Regional managers with things I have seen and been put through and I was fired for it. So now I am seeking a lawyer. And I will make this company regret ever foul thing and lie they have ever said to me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

justsaynotodressbarn in Phoenix, Arizona

33 months ago

Don't work at Dressbarn. Save yourself the misery. These are not nice people at all - you mean absolutely NOTHING to them - the upper management is downright abusive - they run the business on really really archaic principles. 100% turnover. The DM's are brutal -nothing nothing nothing you ever do is good enough,right enough - you are always struggling to keep hrs. you are punished all the time - the contests are cheap and a bore - the only prize is a candy bar or something cheap cheap cheap. Their store procedures are old old school. Their computer system is archaic - from the 80's. You have to keep stick figures to keep track of what you're selling. yes. STICK FIGURES. The final insult was the DM going ballistic on me over the phone - Phoenix az area - my store did not get the goal for opening charge cards for the week and that saturday after she screamed incoherently at me told me I HAD TO KEEP THE STORE OPEN until I got the demanded quota. Now, that's a laugh and I laughed in her f. face because....the outlet mall CLOSED at 8:00 p.m. A STORE IS NOT ALLOWED to stay open past 8:00 a.m. - not even legal to do that. Besides NO CUSTOMERS are at the outlet mall after all the stores close so actually dress barn would LOSE money by keeping the lights on and remaining open for NO CUSTOMERS. How stupid is that? For cryin out loud this is an educated manager of people? Homeless women would do a better job and look better....the DM in that area was FAT and refused to wear a bra - not the perfect model of sales rep the store promotes. Dress Barn. What a nightmare. makes me have PROJECTILE VOMIT just thinking of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

justsaynotodressbarn in Phoenix, Arizona

33 months ago

Oh, and another thing - the personnel are dishonest and they steal your sales to pump up their figures. this is constant. Management constantly pitts women against each other. It really is nasty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sick and tired in Irvington, New York

32 months ago

I've only been working here since December and honestly this being my first real job, (im 17) ive never been so disgusted. the managers are rude as can be and talk down to you like you're worthless. theyre obsessed with charges and god forbid if i dont sell one, i have to hear about it later on. recently my grandfather passed away and i had to drive upstate for the wake/funeral. my boss' response? "Uh, you need to find someone to cover your shift." no apology no nothing. i wasnt expecting a heart felt thing but atleast acknowledge the fact that i had a death in the family. turns out, nobody could cover my shift. this lady had the day off and couldnt even fill in for me. i have to work all saturday, miss my grandfathers wake and drive the 6 hours to upstate new york to make it in time for the funeral the next morning. these people make me sick. just the other day i was at the register. one of the managers asked me to ring up a customer. little did i know it was a test to see if i could actually do it. me being only a cashier for only once or twice, i obviously would make a mistake. after the customer left, my manager approached me saying if i cant ring correctly then i won't ring at all. i swear, make me feel like im worthless why dont you? i'm just so sick of this job. i'm determined to quit at the end of the month. i just need to find something new first. these people are rude and honestly should be ashamed of themselves and how they treat others. it's a disgrace.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tyra Binused Byepatti in Pennsylvania

32 months ago

The company is generally good to work for, but some longterm store managers get away with murder.
My last Store Manager was very petty, unfair and in many ways, dishonest, but her behavior was overlooked due to her seniority. She rarely worked Saturdays,which she rationalized by claiming that it was not a big business day in a city store????? The staff and assistants had to work them, and it could dollar-wise make or break the week. Two people had to cover the whole store from 10 - 6 -no lunch or break.Oh, yeah - and process payroll too!!!And,even though Store Managers were not evaluated on individual sales performance,for some strange reason she took credit for our sales on a regular basis.She would even do this, if the merchandise had hold tags with our names and #. Then, she had the audacity to coach us and even write us up when we did not meet our goals.
When we confronted her, she would just brush us off with " Ooops!" The worst was her double standard with payroll and clockings. She had no problem giving hours to her friend, a part timer who could not work nights or weekends or holidays or the entire summer -- a 10 - 2 girl- at the expense of full timers and assistants. She also skipped lunch strategically to get in her 40 hours, but insisted we take our half hour lunches and scrutinized our clockings to the minute. If we clocked back in after like 28.5 minutes, we were reprimanded. It was like the Mad Hatter's Tea Party

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tyra Binused Byepatti in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

Just to clarify the lunch routine, the Store Manager ate lunch every day - normally at the wrap desk. It was not a " working lunch" - she usually made personal calls and pointed at us to come ring for her if a customer approached during this time. She took her breaks - just never clocked out for them. It was frustrating, especially because she was so hard on the staff about clockings. For example, on Saturdays, the store openned at 10 and we were scheduled to come in at exactly 10 - not 9:45 or even 9:50. This meant that we were keeping customers waiting outside, while we turned on the lights, counted drawer,etc. or counting the drawers with customers in the store. When I voiced concern from a customer service/safety stand point, I was told that we absolutley had to wait until 10 to come in.
And, we were challenged if we came in at even 9:58.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marina Petranin in Worcester, Massachusetts

31 months ago

In September 09. 2011, I gave my notice at Dress Barn Store #392. I Fully expected my DSM, Louise Johnson, to meet with me before my last day in order to conduct an Exit Interview. I wondered if She avoided this because of her extreme discomfort with any sort of confrontation. Perhaps She did not want to hear what I needed to say. I refused to believe that She simply wasn't interested, after all, I had been employed by Dress Barn for 12 years.
However, I have come to believe that Ms. Johnson negligence in this matter may be one of Dress Barn's company practices. I sent an e-mail to Isabella Spiegel, Vice President, Corporate benefits, HR in which I discussed my reasons for leaving and basically conducted my own Exit Interview. Ms. Spiegel did not have the courtesy to acknowledge even receiving my e-mail.
Your callous disregard of a productive veteran manager only reinforces my belief that I made the correct decision in leaving your company. If this incident demonstrated Dress Barn's method of inspiring their employees, I'm afraid you have failed miserably and I can well believe, it will not be the last time you do so

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Stylish stacy in Springfield, Missouri

31 months ago

Marina Petranin in Worcester, Massachusetts said:

On several occasions I had to inform certain individuals they been let go over the phone because my general manager Linda refused to contact them and let them know. Instead it was up to us sales associates to do it when these people would call in asking why they werent on the schedule. It was a disgrace. One week into my job I had to let a 15+ year sales woman know she wasn't getting hours because she had been fired. Not one manager had bothered to let her know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sasikesq in Woodland Hills, California

27 months ago

We know that Dress Barn has violated wage and hour law, and that Dress Barn employees have not been paid correctly. We are a law firm who is representing Dress Barn employees in a class action to obtain proper payment for the employees (both former and current). We would like to talk to any Dress Barn employee (former or current) who has worked for Dress Barn within the last four years. Please contact us right away to discuss your situation. There will be NO OBLIGATION OR COST to you.

Law Offices of Rhett T. Francisco
dressbarnlawsuit@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Lynn,

We know that Dress Barn has violated wage and hour law, and that Dress Barn employees have not been paid correctly. You may have valid claims against Dress Barn. We are a law firm who is representing Dress Barn employees in a class action to obtain proper payment for the employees (both former and current). We would like to talk to you and any other former or current Dress Barn employees who have worked for Dress Barn within the last four years. Please contact us right away to discuss your situation. There will be NO OBLIGATION OR COST to you.

or
rhett@francisco-law-firm.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

We know that Dress Barn has violated wage and hour law, and that Dress Barn employees have not been paid correctly. We are a law firm who is representing Dress Barn employees in a class action to obtain proper payment for the employees (both former and current). We would like to talk to any Dress Barn employee (former or current) who has worked for Dress Barn within the last four years. Please contact us right away to discuss your situation. There will be NO OBLIGATION OR COST to you.

or

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

or

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

justsaynotodressbarn in Phoenix, Arizona said: Oh, and another thing - the personnel are dishonest and they steal your sales to pump up their figures. this is constant. Management constantly pitts women against each other. It really is nasty.

or

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

modjewel in Tacoma, Washington

26 months ago

Host said: Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Dressbarn?

I have worked at DB for 3 1/2 years. I have seen it all. From managers stealing to DSM's lying straight to your face. I had told management about the stealing situation but because of vacations coming up nothing was going to be done until another employee noticed and said something. Since I've been there I have been asking about a FT position to always be put off. They have hired out of state managers when I'm right here. Our store has been integrated for the manger stealing cash. That manager had stayed with our store. Finally being transferred to another to finally get caught. Not one person from corporate or anywhere has ever said SORRY for what we were all put through. So another manager started pitting all if us against one another. Putting blame on the people she didn't like. Don't know where to turn now. After finding this site. I just don't know where to turn!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KVS in Aurora, Colorado

26 months ago

sasikesq in Woodland Hills, California said: We know that Dress Barn has violated wage and hour law , and that Dress Barn employees have not been paid correctly. We are a law firm who is representing Dress Barn employees in a class action to obtain proper payment for the employees (both former and current). We would like to talk to any Dress Barn employee (former or current) who has worked for Dress Barn within the last four years. Please contact us right away to discuss your situation. There will be NO OBLIGATION OR COST to you.

or

Are you only representing Dress Barn employees in California? Please let me know. I have been treated awful and want to sue. blessthisday@comcast.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KVS in Aurora, Colorado

26 months ago

Silverstein in California said: You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Either be part of the change: work hard, get promoted, change what you don't like. Or better yet quit. Complaining is: easy, making a difference: hard. Seems to me you have taken the easy route.

SC

you are way out of line with this statement. You must be in managemnet. I can smell you from here. Where's you respect? Dress Barn is an awful company and no matter how you do try to change things you become threatened by management and their false since of self. They tell you to be creative and when you do they go behind you and destroy your whole department display work. Every chance they get they discount you, talk negative about you, etc. I want to sue!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KVS in Aurora, Colorado

26 months ago

Silverstein in California said: You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Either be part of the change: work hard, get promoted, change what you don't like. Or better yet quit. Complaining is: easy, making a difference: hard. Seems to me you have taken the easy route.

SC

see you are just like Dress Barn management by your comment above. "Seems to me you have taken the easy route." A typical put down, noncompassionate comment from a self absorbed employee of Dress Barn. I pray you rot in your own stink.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KVS in Aurora, Colorado

26 months ago

Sandy Bunns in Colorado said: Dress Barn 'management' is a joke. My experience is they lack any type of formal education ( college ) and management experience training to begin with. It is a very caddy place to work when all of the micro managing kicks in and trickles down from the top. Certainly not worth the $8 per hour for just a part time side job. They need to realize that in this economy they should be planning on a loss this year and instead of revenue increase. Very unprofessional sniping between managers and associates in front of customers.

I am also from Colorado in a dress barn. Who is your DM? What part of Colorado. I agree with all you've said. I want to sue my manager, and if corporate doesn't do what I have asked of my manager, I will sue the whole company. And you last sentence is right on! The whisper and gossip in front of associates. One of the first thing in the employee handbook says Dress Barn has no tolerence for gosssip. What crap. Anyway just want you to know I completely understand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

modjewel in Seattle, Washington

26 months ago

KVS in Aurora, Colorado said: I am also from Colorado in a dress barn. Who is your DM? What part of Colorado. I agree with all you've said. I want to sue my manager, and if corporate doesn't do what I have asked of my manager, I will sue the whole company. And you last sentence is right on! The whisper and gossip in front of associates. One of the first thing in the employee handbook says Dress Barn has no tolerence for gosssip. What crap. Anyway just want you to know I completely understand.

My managers are fine. It's people they hire. I've been there for 3 1/2 years + and to be treated and laid the same as the new associates is terrible. We have one that never went to high school or even went to middle school. How do you get a job with no education much less getting the same kind if hours that I get and I've worked there do long??? I'm so very frustrated. I've wanted to move up with the company. Not just be another associate who get this just works because. I work because I have to. Thanks for listening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

lizziebusydontgiveacrap in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

13 months ago

KVS in Aurora, Colorado said: see you are just like Dress Barn management by your comment above. "Seems to me you have taken the easy route." A typical put down, noncompassionate comment from a self absorbed employee of Dress Barn. I pray you rot in your own stink.

I love your comment I know this is probably old . But Im just trying to find out if this job is worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jo in Lincoln, Nebraska

12 months ago

I'm not sure how making sales is that big of a deal. I have worked at a job where we had to take customer and employee complaints on top of helping customers and store employees fix phones/discuss plans/data/also make sales for no commission. An in-store retail job is nothing compared to other jobs that are out there right now. BTW, I only got $12.98/hr for my last job and this job is so much easier. What's the big deal. This stuff isn't rocket science. Make sales! That's all and clean. How is cleaning that HARD? REALLY? I honestly think the lot of you are lazy employees. Learn work ethic and stop complaining.

I've personally had my own department at another past job and I totally understand another employee trying to work with you to help with sales in their department. There's no way one employee can be at work 24/7 to sell items from their department. I also worked in the shoe department and it was a struggle getting employees to clean up my area when I wasn't scheduled. They had no problem cleaning up everyone else's area but most people seemed to hate the shoe department because so many people come in and try on shoes and don't pick up after themselves. It's disgusting how dirty some people are...

KRK in Golden Valley, Arizona

4 months ago

Shoffss in Rexburg, Idaho said: I was JUST fired from the dress barn here. It was total crap!!! I asked another associate if everything was ok because the store manager was crying in the office and the assistant who had been VERY ill was late, and they told me I was inciting gossip. Nevermind that the store manager bad mouthed current employees and previous employees to me...I was the gossip for asking if my coworkers knew if everything was ok. If this company wants to stay above the trend of poor retailers they need to get a serious grip on what REALLY happens in their stores. You are not paid commission, but yet can LOSE your job for "stealing sales". I have been called deceptive, manipulative, and every other nasty thing that comes to mind, and it is so offensive that I am in the process of suing dressbarn because the way they allow people to be treated is ILLEGAL!

I know exactly where you are coming from. They did the pretty much the same thing to me although I was an asst. mgr. I had been working for the company for over a decade and then after my boss retired they were starting to look to get new manager that they can pay less but get the same amount of work out of. I wish I had acted as you did and sued.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.