How to get a job at Edward Jones.

Comments (1 to 50 of 2385)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Edward Jones? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Anna Eisenbraun in Gaylord, Minnesota

96 months ago

I need a job because the job I currently have my department is closing and I'm only a temp. I need a job. I would like to be close to Duluth MN that would be great. I'm also going to think about going back to college.

Anna

D.C. in Nashville in Nashville, Tennessee

96 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Edward Jones? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

These seem to be very elusive jobs. I've applied for them in the past (and know other people who have applied), and no response. They run these ads for weeks at a time, which means they haven't found any one to fill the spot(s). What are they looking for anyway? Maybe they are looking for the "perfect" fit, but as qualified as I am and other people I know who have applied, it just seems weird that we don't ever hear from them.

Lissa in Bradenton, Florida

95 months ago

B. J. in Sterrett, Alabama said: I am an FA in training at EDJ. My concern is that the level of pressure doesn't ever seem to let up. We are told that our families come first - yet, we get quotas that cannot be met without sacrificing virtually all time with our families. I just finished my first week of training in St. Louis and am wondering if I should stay on with the firm. Charles, what is your "quality of life" at Jones?

How were the behavioral qusetions? What did they ask?

McDevitt Nick in Sacramento, California

95 months ago

Who the hell cares how he sounds? He's just stating his experience with them. Isn't what this forum is all all about? informing other people about any process or experience with different employers?....

Brett Simpson in Springfield, Ohio

94 months ago

Maverick in Salt Lake City, Utah said: The hiring process in long and crazy. They will make you go out door to door and prove to them that you can get ten good leads. Yes, that is before they hire you. I actually went door to door for a full day and talked to people in their front yards about their financial status! Not to mention that I was chased out of atleast two yards by the dog. When I went back into the office to hand in my reports, they forgot to fax them the the home office in St Louis. I called them back to find out when I could start and they said they had chosen others to hire. They also mentioned that I never turned in my door to door reports!!!! Uggh... I told them that they had no right to turn me down now. I had just made a fool out of myself to most of my neighbors in the area talking on behalf of a company that never hired me. These HR people in St Louis are basards. I would not reccommend going through thier broken down process.
Oh yea, they probably did call on the local leads that I gave that local manager!!!

Edward Jones Did the exact same thing to me when I was living in Valrico, Florida this past year. Put me through all kinds of hell...and I went door to door. Turned in my reports, etc..and they did not hire me. Didn't even give me a reason. I don't recommend anyone to even waste their time with this company. They are just full of crap, and pobably used my leads as well.

Alex N in Glendale, Arizona

94 months ago

Does anybody know what are some examples of questions I should expect for my Interview?

Gabrielle in Charleston, South Carolina

94 months ago

I had my interview yesterday. It will be a "formal" interview. They ask you behavior type questions from your past. For Example: "Tell me about a time when..."

Alex N in Glendale, Arizona

94 months ago

Thank you very much Grabrielle. Can you remember any of the questions? Like what was the most difficult one? How should I prepare? I really need this job. Thank you soo much for taking the time to write back.

Gabrielle in Charleston, South Carolina

94 months ago

I can't remember verbatim. The gist was: "Tell me about a time when you were working under a deadline. What were the circumstances? What did you do to handle the problem? What was the result?" I don't know how to tell you that there really is no way to "prepare". You can only answer the questions honestly and hope that you exhibit personality traits that they are looking for. If you get too stressed out about it--they will be able to tell that your answers are scripted. They type word for word what you answer.

Froggy in West Plains, Missouri

94 months ago

The hiring process consists of: an online assessment, two face to face interviews, and a very extensive background and employment verification. If everything goes smoothly the process should take about one month total. I was just offered a position and from start to finish the process took about six weeks.
You should never lie about anything on your app. b/c is will be verified, when you take the online assessment you should think very aggresively, no answers should be in the middle, this is a sales job that requires you to deal with a lot of rejection, you have to think like an A type personality. During your face to face interviews you should shoot for the stars when asked about your goals and expected wages, they are looking for people with high expectations of themselves.

The Behavioral inverview was the hardest for me. The interviewer asks for specific instances in your past employment that show character and aggresiveness. Almost all of the questions have follow up questions, so be prepared to go into detail (this makes it hard for people to BS their way through the interview). The best way to prepare for this is to think of difficult circumstance in your past employment that you have overcome, before the interview (wich is over the phone)and take notes to jog your memeory (or imagination).

During all of the interviews they are looking for aggresiveness and an Alpha dog personality, someone who is not afraid to ask for the sell, and someone who will set lofty goals for themselves and not just expect to meet the company minimums.

Try not to over analyze the interview, don't be afraid to speak up, and be prepared for a lengthy hiring process. Remember EJ, along with all other companies that hire sales people, are not looking to hire people who will quit or give up easily, so try to be as persistent at possible without being annoying.

Tiffany in Dallas, Texas

94 months ago

Just found this post during a nervous search for more information before my face-to-face interview tomorrow. I am not sure why there is so much negativity regarding the hiring process. It is clearly stated on the website what to expect during the hiring process and also states that only 10% of applicants are even offered a job, imagine how many applications they recieve a day. I believe a strong background in sales and a lot of ambition is key. I have never been in the financial services industry but have been in sales for years and am ecstatic that I have made it to the last interview and could be just days from a job offer. The door knocking, however, is very scary. It's hard to know what to expect. Any insight?

Jenise in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

94 months ago

I am also going through the Ed.Jones hiring process. I already have my series 7 and 63 from another company. I havn't gotten a chance to use it yet, though, because new management decided to eliminate my company's retail brokerage side. So, Here I am with a sereis 7 and 63 and nothing to do with them. I am an extremely hard worker( I had my own service business for over 10 years), but I desire to work out of my home office. Ed Jones can give me this opportunity for the first year. Are there any other companies that you guys know of that could use a person like me? I get scared when Ed.Jones talks about "contracts". If I don't like their company after a couple of months, they claim that I will be held liable for their "training costs". I am not one to quit things easily, I know a lot about sales, but I don't want to bust my butt, then owe them anything, also if I decide to leave in 3 years, it seems that they get to keep all my clients. I would like to take my clients with me. Any ideas would help. I was also looking at some online trading jobs...any ideas there? I only need a small salary if I can work form home (no commission only jobs).

Nick McDevitt in Florida

94 months ago

If your afraid of door knocking, what makes you think you will be successful? That is what you HAVE to do with EJ. If you are worried about keeping your clients, go elsewhere. EJ will have you by the balls. If you want to keep your clients interview with AG Edwards or Raymond James. AG Edwards needs people

Nick McDevitt in Florida

94 months ago

The door knocking was not towards you, it was towards the previous poster. There is absolutely no chip on my shoulder, but this career is a huge undertaking, and I was making a point to the previous poster that 2 years is a long time, and if they are afraid of door knocking, then they should think twice. There is a reason less than 20% of people make it, and that is one of them, not being prepared for what they are about to do.

The point I was making towards you was about your book of business. I went through the exact same process and thought track as you are going through now. You seem to have real world business experience, and that no matter how much you may want it to, things don't always work out how you want them to. Now, would you want to put in 5 years only to find your payouts are lower than many other companies? How about your parent company (EJ) just put 5 more agents in your smaller size town? You have no input on that. How about how they control what your expenses/rent/overhead are considered and you can only bonus when your branch is "profitable"?? Go to registeredrep.com and read. If you still feel comfortable going forward, then power to you. Me personally, I would like more control over my future and clients. Get that MY clients, not my companies clients.
I'm not rude, i'm realistic. I spent 3 months doing intensive research before I made a decision, and EJ was not for me. Are you ready to knock on 50-100 doors a day in 100 degree heat? If so, like I said, power to you. Just do your due diligence so you are not trapped three years from now. You are a step ahead already being licensed.

94 months ago

I haven't seen any AG ads here. You say, they let you keep your clients after a certain amount of time?? I tried Raymond James already and unfortunately, they changed all of their company policies in the first quarter of 2006(when I was hired). I left before I got in too deep. I did not like their attitude towards small businesses.

Nick McDevitt in Florida

94 months ago

If you enjoy working with small businesses you should take a heavy look at an insurance based/investment company like Mass Mutual, Guardian, etc. The bigger companies do not limit what you sell and still have good resources. If you are working with small businesses I am guessing you are selling them insurance/benefits as well, and your payouts(comissions) will be much higher with an insurance based company. I didn't see any AG ad's either, but it wouldn't hurt to go to their website and apply. I did and was offered......

C in Chicago, Illinois

94 months ago

There seems to be TONS of posts about Edward Jones. Let me start off to say this, this is the most important thing that people in the hiring process should ask themselves. "How comfortable are you when it comes to door knocking and if you are, how long do you think you can do it?"

Edward Jones started because there weren't any financial firms outside of the city limits. Edward Jones went to farmers, who were wealthy, and sold them financial products. It was extremely popular because the farmers didn't have any advisors and they were mainly saving the money they have accumulated. Most of the Edward Jones offices aren't located in the financial district of your city, they are located in the outskirts. WHAT WALMART IS TO THE SHOPPING WORLD, IS EXACTLY WHAT EDWARD JONES IS TO THE FINANCIAL SERVICES BUSINESS. They stress so much on owning your own business and door knocking.

There is an advisor out in Illinois, near the Mississippi River who makes 600K a year. He doesn't have his college degree, he just lives in a town where everybody trusts him and knows him. He started out by going to the local Walmart, how ironic, and pretended to shop there. When people saw him, he would say that he is starting a new business and would like people to visit his office. Instantly he became successful through referrals.

There is another kid who recently graduated from some university out in California. He went to his fraternity brothers and made them put $25 a month for their ROTH IRA's and he made so much profit he was featured in some magazine.

C in Chicago, Illinois

94 months ago

There is tons of money to be made with Edward Jones but the key ingredient, and it is posted on their website, is door knocking. You have to make 25 contacts everyday. I went through my door knocking exercise and it took me 3 hours! Three hours later I made 25 contacts and I knocked on over 100 doors. You deal with people that aren't home, people who have no soliciting on their front doors, and people who basically lie to you in your face.

The reason they say only 10% of the people actually get hired is because only a small percentage of people actually brush off the task of door knocking. The rest of the population don't like door knocking and think it is silly. Any financial institution that offers a position that involves selling will basically hire anybody they interview. It is up to the individual to ask themselves if they feel comfortable with the strategies that the company was laying out.

It doesn't cost EJ too much to put you through training. If you are horrible at making contacts, you will be fired. If you don't make 25 contacts a day, they will fire you. The base is great for a company financial services company and the incentives are phenomenal. The reason is because you basically do the sales for them. You doorknock, the cheapest way of marketing that you will ever get. If you think about it, the companies like Merrill Lynch and Morgan Stanleys offer a better base. However you need a lot of experience and you need to hit a certain amount of sales otherwise YOU pay the Merrill Lynchs or the Morgan Stanleys if the world back. back.

Selling is an extremely tough thing to do

C in Chicago, Illinois

94 months ago

Edward Jones has a great training program geared towards anybody willing to accept their philosophy. That's why you get so many applicants because they are rated one of the top firms. They go through so much and are selective because of the sales involved. If you have no experience in sales, then you won't get a call back. If you sold knives or anything, they will call you and you will just have to interview with them. Firms that offer commission will offer jobs to anybody, as long as they have some type of intelligence and are willing to sell the same philosophy as the company.

So just answer this, "Am I comfortable with doorknocking or I am just thinking I am?" Two very different things, because when you get hired and you actually start your first day after getting your licenses, it'll already be too late to say you aren't comfortable with doorknocking because you are expected to make 25 a day, 125 per week, and 3125 a year. Out of the 3125 you are looking at only 3% or 94 people who will actually do business with you. If a person makes a 100K investment with you, you only get 600 out of that deal. 600 X 94= 56400. That is $56400 on commissions alone for a year on average if you get the 25 contacts per day. That is your first year and 100K of investments from 100% of the people you do business with is a HUGE stretch. You also have to take into account that you get taxed differently from commissions rather than salary.

That's why it takes 3-5 years to really make a profit because you are building a business and you need referrals. I hope the breakdown helps people see behind the Edward Jones selling in order to have people sell.

Rich in Saint Peters, Missouri

94 months ago

C in Chicago, Illinois said: it'll already be too late to say you aren't comfortable with doorknocking because you are expected to make 25 a day, 125 per week, and 3125 a year. Out of the 3125 you are looking at only 3% or 94 people who will actually do business with you. If a person makes a 100K investment with you, you only get 600 out of that deal. 600 X 94= 56400. That is $56400 on commissions alone for a year on average if you get the 25 contacts per day. That is your first year and 100K of investments from 100% of the people you do business with is a HUGE stretch. You also have to take into account that you get taxed differently from commissions rather than salary.

In Edward Jones recruiting materials, they state that the average commission is 39%. How does that compute in the example you provided?

If you could also expand on how the comissions are figured (percent of monthly contributions, etc) that would be great.

Thanks.

BF in Oak Creek, Wisconsin

94 months ago

Jenise in Rio Rancho, New Mexico said: Are there any other companies that you guys know of that could use a person like me?

There is at least one company that could use someone like you... Mine. I'd like to speak with you about that. Please email me at rford00ssn@hotmail.com with a phone number and the best time to call.

Nick McDevitt in Florida

94 months ago

Not going to tell us which company??

94 months ago

From other posts, I believe the company that BF in Oak Creek works for is World Financial Group/World Group Securities/Investment Advisors International. I have been doing some research and finding very negative comments on the company. I would like to know more about it though(without the rants). EJ pays a salary and sets you up in an office, I don't know if WFG/WGS/IAI does that...???? Also, I don't know what type of formalized training they offer.??????

Nick McDevitt in Florida

94 months ago

They set you up in an office, but it is not as simple as that. You are responsible for certain costs, and as I said previously, the overhead costs that they pay are part of your profit balance. Have you gone to registeredrep.com?

GreenacresWV in Harrisville, West Virginia

94 months ago

All of these posts have been VERY interesting.

What I found appealing about EJ is the SUPPORT! I have been an outside sales person for many years in a variety of capacities, usually covering large geographic areas, and have found that most companies don't give you the support you need so you can be in the field doing what you do best...selling!

A personal concern I have about EJ is that I live in a county with a population of 10,000 and a quarter of them are on some sort of disabilty/public assistance! We're getting a new McDonald's (the next closest one is 16 miles away). Maybe I'd put my desk there?!?!?!?

I'm looking forward to seeing more comments from previous posters. Thanks!!!

C in Chicago, Illinois

93 months ago

You are in a perfect location then. If you have the trust of the people in your community, then you have a GOLDEN opportunity. EJ is built on small towns, people rake in tons of money doing so.

If you trusted me personally, could you say no to a question like:

"Do you want me to make you money off of the money you already have?"

Probably not.

Oresi in Glendale, Arizona

93 months ago

How long does it take for them to contact you after the face to face interview? Do they call you even if you get rejected? I have not got a call and its been a week!
thank you for taking the time to read this.

SlickK in Columbus, Ohio

93 months ago

I have an interview with Edward Jones coming up. I have heard a ton about doing door-to-door sales for the first 2 years. Besides achieving 25 contacts from door-to-door (which I presume doesn't take all day), what else do you do all day? Cold-Calling? Dinners for potential clients? Also, after everything is said an done, what is the yearly income for a 1st year advisor that is willing to put the time and effort and is determined to succeed.

I am certainly not afraid to go door-to-door, but would like to consider all my options prior to accepting any offers.

Thank you so much, I truly do appreciate this!

B. J. in Birmingham, Alabama

93 months ago

If anyone would like to know how to boost their chances of getting an offer from EJ, i.e., the kinds of qualifications the company is looking for; I would be glad to offer some thoughts.

Tiffany in Fort Worth, Texas

93 months ago

I hate to admit that I am on the fence on whether or not to accept the offer from Jones. I feel like this is a once in a lifetime offer and would be stupid not to take it. On the other hand, the more I think about it the less appealing it seems. How many people are willing to trust someone with no investment experience with their $$. Also, the door-to-door think keeps eating at me, 1 year is a long time to do that let alone 2 years! Does everyone really do that? There are already 3 Jones IR's in my town, which isn't all that big, so wouldn't they already have most customers with an interest already covered? Does Jones tell you the general area they want your office to be or do they ask your input or just put an office anywhere they can find space to lease? I am going to have to clean out my savings to even make it the first year on the base salary they are offering so this is a huge risk!

Nick McDevitt in Florida

93 months ago

Have you interviewed with anyone else in the industry??

93 months ago

Nick McDevitt in Florida said: Have you interviewed with anyone else in the industry??

Assuming your ? was directed to me Nick - no I haven't interviewed with anyone else. I have no experience in the investment or securities industry and only have an Associate's Degree so I am not sure anyone else in the industry is willing to offer me the training that Jones offers? If you have suggestions I welcome them.

Dewayne in Greensboro, North Carolina

93 months ago

B. J. in Birmingham, Alabama said: If anyone would like to know how to boost their chances of getting an offer from EJ, i.e., the kinds of qualifications the company is looking for; I would be glad to offer some thoughts.

I'm interested in the qualifications the company is looking for. I have a phone interview tomorrow. Also what is the base salary they offer at hiring? You can email me at protobuc@usa.com. Thanks.

Vilhelma in Bozeman, Montana

93 months ago

B. J. in Birmingham, Alabama said: If anyone would like to know how to boost their chances of getting an offer from EJ, i.e., the kinds of qualifications the company is looking for; I would be glad to offer some thoughts.

I also have an interview tomorrow and I am very ecxited, please let me know what to expect vilhelma@yahoo.com

Juan Carlos in Saint Paul, Minnesota

93 months ago

Tiffany, should you let us know how was the offer they made to you?

I'm may be getting the offer very soon, maybe tomorrow... but I have the same problem you have with the door knocking for twooooo years...

I have good sales training, and I also love the financial world, but the door-to-door is just killing me... right now I'm making $55.000 plus some conservative commissions around $10.000 from M-F 8-5. Expecting a raise by January 2007 in the base to $65.000 with similar commissions, sales engineer...

I don't know people with a lot of money to invest or to trust me their money... But I'm very motivated and I don't see in the near future that I can make more than 5 figures as an engineer.

Thoughts?

93 months ago

I am also making around the same as you right now, which is almost unheard of unless you drive 60 miles one way to work.

The offer from Jones is right around $20K/yr salary for the 1st yr, as I understand it the salary depends on your area. On top of that you do have the potential for bonuses. The scary thing is that the salary gradually decreases through the year until by the end of the year it is $0 and you are on your own.

I did decide today to accept the offer. My decision was easy after speaking with a local Jones rep and hearing the excitement of having me come on board and the reassurance of the support network available. Everyone wants you to succeed because it also benefits them for you to do well. As I will have no choice other than to bust my butt door-knocking in order to feed my family, I feel I can do it. If I can excel at every other position I have taken on why not this!

If you get the offer I say go for it if you can possibly stand the pay cut for just a little while! I will probably have to clean out my savings but how often does an opportunity like this come along! I think the long-term benefit will be far more than I can even imagine right now.

93 months ago

Good for you Tiffany, congrats!!!

I was also reading the posts at registeredrep.com and they don't give me much hope.

I don't know I'm very confused and that is maybe because I don't know what I want... I like my job, but I love the financial world and ALL the power I think FA have in changing peoples lives managing the finances...

It is a huge cut for me go from $60.000 to $45.000 is the best case the first year... wow. I don't know what to do!

93 months ago

By the way, I drive 6 miles one way!

Marge in Pensacola, Florida

93 months ago

Hi there. Yes, I would be interested in knowing how to boost my chances of getting an offer from E J. I have submitted my paperwork, taken my profile test, which came back very positive. I have met with a local FA who said I had the perfect personality and background to do this job and gave me a recommendation to Human Resources. Now I have a phone interview with a recruiter in 2 days. Any light you could shed on what to expect would help. I am familiar with the behavioral event type of interview. Any specifics I should be aware of? I know I am expected to knock on doors and I know it's all about the numbers. It beats sitting behind a desk all day. I hate doing that and having no control over my income. Thanks, Marge

B.J. in Pell City, Alabama

93 months ago

Dewayne in Greensboro, North Carolina said: I'm interested in the qualifications the company is looking for. I have a phone interview tomorrow. Also what is the base salary they offer at hiring? You can email me at protobuc@usa.com. Thanks.

I hope that phone interview went well. The company looks for outgoing employees, who have shown some exceptional achievements in their endeavors - be they college work, marketing jobs, banking experience, accounting backgrounds, etc. I do know some FAs had little marketing/sales background, but they were clearly successful in their fields. Be prepared to explain why you think you would be a good fit at EDJ. And when they suggest that you read about the job on the EDJ Careers website, they mean it. I wish you every success.

B.J. in Pell City, Alabama

93 months ago

Marge in Pensacola, Florida said: Hi there. Yes, I would be interested in knowing how to boost my chances of getting an offer from E J. I have submitted my paperwork, taken my profile test, which came back very positive. I have met with a local FA who said I had the perfect personality and background to do this job and gave me a recommendation to Human Resources. Now I have a phone interview with a recruiter in 2 days. Any light you could shed on what to expect would help. I am familiar with the behavioral event type of interview. Any specifics I should be aware of? I know I am expected to knock on doors and I know it's all about the numbers. It beats sitting behind a desk all day. I hate doing that and having no control over my income. Thanks, Marge

Be sure you know the 5 critical activities. The EDJ website explains them. Also, keep in mind that they really want you to succeed - even in the interview. Give them reasons to hire you - like the various accomplishments you have attained in other positions. I think you may find you truly love the job.

Marge in Pensacola, Florida

93 months ago

Thanks for the advice.

PN in Atlanta, Georgia

92 months ago

I have had 2 phones interviews with EDJ, and my background check is complete. I am a new registered rep with another firm and am getting no training, and looking to make a change early in my career. I have my face to facewith EDJ tomorrow. Any suggestions would be great.

Bobbi in Gadsden, Alabama

92 months ago

Well, PN, welcome to the firm! If you have made it as far as the face to face interview, I am sure by now you have an offer. Please contact me at my e-mail address b_carr@aya.yale.edu, and I will properly introduce myself. Congratulations on joining a fine company.
Best regards,
Bobbi

SeattleGirl in Seattle, Washington

92 months ago

Ann said: I worked as a Branch Office Administrator with Edward Jones nine years ago for about a year. I passed the training with a perfect score. However, when I was interviewed by the Rep, I was assured that there would be no cold calling or telemarketing. Within weeks he was pressuring me to get prople to come to his free seminars, breakfasts, etc. He would come in daily and bark "I need people." He would not go out and do his mandatory knocking on doors at all. He kept inviting people with money to play golf, and they wouldn't show up. He basically spent half his time at home or on the golf course and I was left alone in the office all day with no customers coming in as it was a brand new office. There is supposed to be a number the BOA's can call if you are having problems. That is a joke. When I called, I was told that it was my job to cold call for seminars, I just couldn't cold call to sell stocks, etc. I left to take another job that paid nearly twice what I made at Edward Jones. When I gave notice, headquarters told me that I would never be able to work with them again. Ooooh. I was scared! : ) Not a good place to work in my opinion. Low pay and they are dishonest in the way they recruit employees.

I have to agree. I'm a former BOA and it is a very difficult environment to work in. You are EVERYTHING to the Financial Advisor and mine in particular was very hard on me. I also was forced to call lists of clients to invite them to seminars very frequently and the customers were just not interested in these interruptions. I was let go over a misunderstanding between my FA and me, but HR would hear nothing from me on the subject. I truly believe that a difference in beliefs is what caused my FA to want me out of there. He was a very conservative religious person and while I was the picture of professionalism and courteousness, this was not enough for him and I believe that is the real reason I was let go. I wouldn't work there. Not worth it.

Tee123 in Rancocas, New Jersey

92 months ago

Hi everyone, I'm probably way out of my league on this site, but I would like to become an FA. I don't have a degree, or sales or financial experience. I start my Life & Health Insurance License class next week, so at least that will be out of the way. EJ got the highest ranking from brokers in a broker-dealer "report card" that I found online. But lots of blogs paint a more negative picture of the company and its recruiting and sales tactics. I'm not a pushy "salesy" salesperson. I would actually prefer to TEACH people how to budget and save their money, rather than sell them products that are pushed to me from a company who may as well be my employer. I'm trying to get away from working like a dog to make someone else rich. I want to work for myself. However, from all the posts I've been reading here and elsewhere, being an FA seems like just another sales job designed to make the company rich. The upside of working for commissions is, of course, the sky is the limit. But I don't need to make 6 figures. Does anyone have any info on fee-based services instead of commission?

D New FA in Erie, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

You don't have to be a pushy salesperson to do this job. I hate pushy salespeople. I took this job so I could teach people how to save for their future. Edward Jones does not push products on their FA's. You get to choose what mutual funds you use for your clients. You will have the ability to work for yourself once you go through the first 4-6 months with EDJ. At first they watch you like a hawk to make sure you are doing the work and have the motivation and mental attitude to do the job. Once you hit a few milestones in the beginning they back off and you run your businesss how you like (within compliance standards). And since the company is a partnership, there is no CEO that is getting rich off of your comissions. While you do you job, you make money that EDJ gives back to you in the form of profit sharing and partnership offers. EDJ had the ability to sell the firm and be the richer than Sam Walton, but Ed Jones, wanted the company to be in the hands of those out there meeting with clients and teaching them the importance of saving for their future. Personally, if someone charged me everytime I wanted to ask them a question or sit in the office, I wouldn't be too happy. With comissions, they pay upfront only for the product and they receive the best customer service from you for free any time they want it. You will work like a dog for the first 2 years, but you will be stablizing your future, and the future of your clients as well as your own business.

Nick McDevitt in Florida

92 months ago

Drink that koolaide!!! No matter what though, in this business, work your ass off, give it everything you can. Look out for your clients and you will succeed

my file cabinets in Phoenix, Arizona

92 months ago

i was originally lured to try to work for EJ because a rep. told me that my starting income for training would be about 51k. then he said after my license i would fend for myself and would make more with my own office. so here i am with my first education session for the L/H license. after that i want to get the series 7. but after reading these posts, i am no longer sure. what other companies can i work for? what alternatives did you find?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.