How to get a job at Edward Jones.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 2406)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Edward Jones? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Anna Eisenbraun in Gaylord, Minnesota

90 months ago

I need a job because the job I currently have my department is closing and I'm only a temp. I need a job. I would like to be close to Duluth MN that would be great. I'm also going to think about going back to college.

Anna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

D.C. in Nashville in Nashville, Tennessee

90 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Edward Jones? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

These seem to be very elusive jobs. I've applied for them in the past (and know other people who have applied), and no response. They run these ads for weeks at a time, which means they haven't found any one to fill the spot(s). What are they looking for anyway? Maybe they are looking for the "perfect" fit, but as qualified as I am and other people I know who have applied, it just seems weird that we don't ever hear from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (81) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Aimee in Las Cruces, New Mexico

90 months ago

I happened to know FAs at Edward Jones in my city, 1 who will be needing a BOA and another who attends Curves with my mom. The one who attends Curves suggested it to my mom & I had emailed my resume and not heard anything. The one FA ordered my fingerprint cards and then I went in & talked to & applied through the other FAs office. I was interviewed, sent in my fingerprint cards and started training this week. It's kind of who you know helps you out around here. Maybe go in and ask at local offices and maybe the BOA can get you an application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in San Antonio, Texas

89 months ago

I applied for an Edward Jones position. It took them about 2 or 3 weeks to call me back. I had an interview on a wednesday, and they called me back the next day for another interview. The woman who I spoke to, (something just short of a robot) informed me they would be forwarding my resume and info to a financial advisor for the next interview. Well, it's been a week already and nothing yet. I'm not going to give up. Good things come to those who wait I guess! I hope I get the job because I am very interested in the work. Although I don't know the pay for BOA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Aimee in Las Cruces, New Mexico

89 months ago

I am an on call BOA and still going through training and I am starting at $9/hour. I also don't know the BOA pay but $9 isn't bad at least for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

New FA

89 months ago

I will be taking my fathers office. It is who you know!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Working girl in Pueblo, Colorado

89 months ago

Is it easy to get on there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Lissa in Bradenton, Florida

89 months ago

B. J. in Sterrett, Alabama said: I am an FA in training at EDJ. My concern is that the level of pressure doesn't ever seem to let up. We are told that our families come first - yet, we get quotas that cannot be met without sacrificing virtually all time with our families. I just finished my first week of training in St. Louis and am wondering if I should stay on with the firm. Charles, what is your "quality of life" at Jones?

How were the behavioral qusetions? What did they ask?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bagwell in Knoxville, Tennessee

89 months ago

D.C. in Nashville in Nashville, Tennessee said: These seem to be very elusive jobs. I've applied for them in the past (and know other people who have applied), and no response. They run these ads for weeks at a time, which means they haven't found any one to fill the spot(s). What are they looking for anyway? Maybe they are looking for the "perfect" fit, but as qualified as I am and other people I know who have applied, it just seems weird that we don't ever hear from them.

Find a Edward Jones agent in your area and talk with him and maybe he can tell you what to do or even recommend you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in San Antonio, Texas

89 months ago

Well, it's been over a month. I got a call from Edward Jones yesterday informing me that they want me to meet with the FA for an interview. I hope that I get the position and the waiting around wasn't a waste of time. They do keep you hanging on. I will let you know how the interview went.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nick McDevitt in Clearwater, Florida

89 months ago

I would be interested in the quotas and quality of life as well. My best advice is to contact a local advisor and go speak to them. Keep in mind, this position is supposed to be one of the hardest careers, especially initially

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Maverick in Salt Lake City, Utah

88 months ago

The hiring process in long and crazy. They will make you go out door to door and prove to them that you can get ten good leads. Yes, that is before they hire you. I actually went door to door for a full day and talked to people in their front yards about their financial status! Not to mention that I was chased out of atleast two yards by the dog. When I went back into the office to hand in my reports, they forgot to fax them the the home office in St Louis. I called them back to find out when I could start and they said they had chosen others to hire. They also mentioned that I never turned in my door to door reports!!!! Uggh... I told them that they had no right to turn me down now. I had just made a fool out of myself to most of my neighbors in the area talking on behalf of a company that never hired me. These HR people in St Louis are basards. I would not reccommend going through thier broken down process.
Oh yea, they probably did call on the local leads that I gave that local manager!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

McDevitt Nick in Sacramento, California

88 months ago

Who the hell cares how he sounds? He's just stating his experience with them. Isn't what this forum is all all about? informing other people about any process or experience with different employers?....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

catherine in Wentzville, Missouri

88 months ago

Nick-I am interested in Edward jones and just applied.
I live in STL so is there someone you recommend I go see to express interest?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Brett Simpson in Springfield, Ohio

88 months ago

Maverick in Salt Lake City, Utah said: The hiring process in long and crazy. They will make you go out door to door and prove to them that you can get ten good leads. Yes, that is before they hire you. I actually went door to door for a full day and talked to people in their front yards about their financial status! Not to mention that I was chased out of atleast two yards by the dog. When I went back into the office to hand in my reports, they forgot to fax them the the home office in St Louis. I called them back to find out when I could start and they said they had chosen others to hire. They also mentioned that I never turned in my door to door reports!!!! Uggh... I told them that they had no right to turn me down now. I had just made a fool out of myself to most of my neighbors in the area talking on behalf of a company that never hired me. These HR people in St Louis are basards. I would not reccommend going through thier broken down process.
Oh yea, they probably did call on the local leads that I gave that local manager!!!

Edward Jones Did the exact same thing to me when I was living in Valrico, Florida this past year. Put me through all kinds of hell...and I went door to door. Turned in my reports, etc..and they did not hire me. Didn't even give me a reason. I don't recommend anyone to even waste their time with this company. They are just full of crap, and pobably used my leads as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

You guys do realize that maybe your reports etc weren't up to par? They may not be the absolute best company out there, but they invest a ton of money in a new advisor and you have to fit the bill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

C in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

I went through the entire process to become a Financial Advisor. Some of the responses have been false, for example the gentleman who said they PROBABLY used his contacts. That is hard to do if you only have a person's name and not their address.

The whole process is overwhelming, but what it comes down to is two very simple things in order to get hired. Well lets make that 3 things.

1. Get the interview. This is the most important part because you are starting your OWN business with Edward Jones and if you don't have purple hair or have any felonies on your record then you are going to get hired.

2. Be comfortable with doorknocking. This is key to YOUR business once again. If you are comfortable with this then you will succeed in this business.

3. Don't lie on your application. Being a financial advisor especially being certified for a position that entails you selling securities and other financial vehicles, they have to go through an extensive background check. They check EVERYTHING, so don't lie about it. If you do, they will let you go through all the rounds and then tell you that your consumer report does not match what you reported.

Edward Jones, in my opinion, is one of, if not the best place to start working if you want to become a Financial Advisor. Their rankings don't lie and they offer great incentives. The other places I have interviewed with, don't offer a base quite like Edward Jones and they don't even pay for your training.

The only downside is the doorknocking. If you can grind it out and survive the first 2 years in doing so, you are on your way to making six figures.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (92) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Ann

88 months ago

I worked as a Branch Office Administrator with Edward Jones nine years ago for about a year. I passed the training with a perfect score. However, when I was interviewed by the Rep, I was assured that there would be no cold calling or telemarketing. Within weeks he was pressuring me to get prople to come to his free seminars, breakfasts, etc. He would come in daily and bark "I need people." He would not go out and do his mandatory knocking on doors at all. He kept inviting people with money to play golf, and they wouldn't show up. He basically spent half his time at home or on the golf course and I was left alone in the office all day with no customers coming in as it was a brand new office. There is supposed to be a number the BOA's can call if you are having problems. That is a joke. When I called, I was told that it was my job to cold call for seminars, I just couldn't cold call to sell stocks, etc. I left to take another job that paid nearly twice what I made at Edward Jones. When I gave notice, headquarters told me that I would never be able to work with them again. Ooooh. I was scared! : ) Not a good place to work in my opinion. Low pay and they are dishonest in the way they recruit employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Gabrielle in Birmingham, Alabama

88 months ago

I have my first phone interview tomorrow. I only got this after applying twice and having a good personal friend who is currently an FA make a call to the regional leader in the area. I met with a local FA and he resubmitted my resume. I got through the phone screening with relative ease, but am sweating bullets for the first interview. I'm not exactly sure why given the negativity in this forum, but I've been told it's a great company to work for. I'll let you all know how it pans out and if I have a similar experience to those who have already written in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

BF in Oak Creek, Wisconsin

88 months ago

There are better alternatives than EJ for individuals who are willing to work hard, and I don't mean knocking on doors either, although you CAN do taht if you wish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

B.J. in Gadsden, Alabama

88 months ago

BF in Oak Creek, Wisconsin said: There are better alternatives than EJ for individuals who are willing to work hard, and I don't mean knocking on doors either, although you CAN do taht if you wish.

What are some alternatives? I have a Series 7 license but don't know what my options are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Alex N in Glendale, Arizona

88 months ago

I have my interview next week. I know some people have had some bad experiences and thats too bad. I Have heard nothing but great things. I mean the door knocking is not fun at all, but you gotta build your business somehow. I was wondering if any FAs could let me know what to expect at my interview next week. I really need this great job, I am willing to put in the hard work. I just need a chance to prove it to everyone. Thank you so much to everyone that took the time to read this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Thanks for your post Nick but I could not find anything specifically that could help me for my interview next week. Maybe I just could not find it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Just do a general search on Jones and it might answer a lot of questions you have....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

B.J. in Gadsden, Alabama said: What are some alternatives? I have a Series 7 license but don't know what my options are.

Hi B.J.

Better to get into this "voice to voice". Shoot me and email at rford00ssn@hotmail.com with a phone number I can reach you at and best time to call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Alex N in Glendale, Arizona said: I have my interview next week. I know some people have had some bad experiences and thats too bad. I Have heard nothing but great things. I mean the door knocking is not fun at all, but you gotta build your business somehow. I was wondering if any FAs could let me know what to expect at my interview next week. I really need this great job, I am willing to put in the hard work. I just need a chance to prove it to everyone. Thank you so much to everyone that took the time to read this.

Good luck at your EJ interview. Sounds like you really want this. If it doesn't work out for you for some reason, let me know. I'm always looking for highly motivated people all over the U.S.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick McDevitt in Florida

88 months ago

Make sure you don't tell the person you are going to interview with that the door knocking isn't fun at all...your in AZ, where the summer months are 100 degrees plus and you are REQUIRED, for 2 years, YEARS, to knock on doors. Just make sure you are prepared to do that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Does anybody know what are some examples of questions I should expect for my Interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gabrielle in Charleston, South Carolina

87 months ago

I had my interview yesterday. It will be a "formal" interview. They ask you behavior type questions from your past. For Example: "Tell me about a time when..."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Thank you very much Grabrielle. Can you remember any of the questions? Like what was the most difficult one? How should I prepare? I really need this job. Thank you soo much for taking the time to write back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabrielle in Charleston, South Carolina

87 months ago

I can't remember verbatim. The gist was: "Tell me about a time when you were working under a deadline. What were the circumstances? What did you do to handle the problem? What was the result?" I don't know how to tell you that there really is no way to "prepare". You can only answer the questions honestly and hope that you exhibit personality traits that they are looking for. If you get too stressed out about it--they will be able to tell that your answers are scripted. They type word for word what you answer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nate in West Plains, Missouri

87 months ago

C in Chicago, Illinois said: I went through the entire process to become a Financial Advisor. Some of the responses have been false, for example the gentleman who said they PROBABLY used his contacts. That is hard to do if you only have a person's name and not their address.

The whole process is overwhelming, but what it comes down to is two very simple things in order to get hired. Well lets make that 3 things.

1. Get the interview. This is the most important part because you are starting your OWN business with Edward Jones and if you don't have purple hair or have any felonies on your record then you are going to get hired.

2. Be comfortable with doorknocking. This is key to YOUR business once again. If you are comfortable with this then you will succeed in this business.

3. Don't lie on your application. Being a financial advisor especially being certified for a position that entails you selling securities and other financial vehicles, they have to go through an extensive background check. They check EVERYTHING, so don't lie about it. If you do, they will let you go through all the rounds and then tell you that your consumer report does not match what you reported.

Edward Jones, in my opinion, is one of, if not the best place to start working if you want to become a Financial Advisor. Their rankings don't lie and they offer great incentives. The other places I have interviewed with, don't offer a base quite like Edward Jones and they don't even pay for your training.

The only downside is the doorknocking. If you can grind it out and survive the first 2 years in doing so, you are on your way to making six figures.

This guy is 100% right. The hiring process is very extensive, and the door knocking is a huge downside, this is why EJ is so selective about who gets interviewed. The turnover ratio of people who can't hack the long hours and door knocking is huge. EJ puts a lot of money into new hires (approx 100,000).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Froggy in West Plains, Missouri

87 months ago

The hiring process consists of: an online assessment, two face to face interviews, and a very extensive background and employment verification. If everything goes smoothly the process should take about one month total. I was just offered a position and from start to finish the process took about six weeks.
You should never lie about anything on your app. b/c is will be verified, when you take the online assessment you should think very aggresively, no answers should be in the middle, this is a sales job that requires you to deal with a lot of rejection, you have to think like an A type personality. During your face to face interviews you should shoot for the stars when asked about your goals and expected wages, they are looking for people with high expectations of themselves.

The Behavioral inverview was the hardest for me. The interviewer asks for specific instances in your past employment that show character and aggresiveness. Almost all of the questions have follow up questions, so be prepared to go into detail (this makes it hard for people to BS their way through the interview). The best way to prepare for this is to think of difficult circumstance in your past employment that you have overcome, before the interview (wich is over the phone)and take notes to jog your memeory (or imagination).

During all of the interviews they are looking for aggresiveness and an Alpha dog personality, someone who is not afraid to ask for the sell, and someone who will set lofty goals for themselves and not just expect to meet the company minimums.

Try not to over analyze the interview, don't be afraid to speak up, and be prepared for a lengthy hiring process. Remember EJ, along with all other companies that hire sales people, are not looking to hire people who will quit or give up easily, so try to be as persistent at possible without being annoying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Dallas, Texas

87 months ago

Just found this post during a nervous search for more information before my face-to-face interview tomorrow. I am not sure why there is so much negativity regarding the hiring process. It is clearly stated on the website what to expect during the hiring process and also states that only 10% of applicants are even offered a job, imagine how many applications they recieve a day. I believe a strong background in sales and a lot of ambition is key. I have never been in the financial services industry but have been in sales for years and am ecstatic that I have made it to the last interview and could be just days from a job offer. The door knocking, however, is very scary. It's hard to know what to expect. Any insight?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jenise in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

87 months ago

I am also going through the Ed.Jones hiring process. I already have my series 7 and 63 from another company. I havn't gotten a chance to use it yet, though, because new management decided to eliminate my company's retail brokerage side. So, Here I am with a sereis 7 and 63 and nothing to do with them. I am an extremely hard worker( I had my own service business for over 10 years), but I desire to work out of my home office. Ed Jones can give me this opportunity for the first year. Are there any other companies that you guys know of that could use a person like me? I get scared when Ed.Jones talks about "contracts". If I don't like their company after a couple of months, they claim that I will be held liable for their "training costs". I am not one to quit things easily, I know a lot about sales, but I don't want to bust my butt, then owe them anything, also if I decide to leave in 3 years, it seems that they get to keep all my clients. I would like to take my clients with me. Any ideas would help. I was also looking at some online trading jobs...any ideas there? I only need a small salary if I can work form home (no commission only jobs).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nick McDevitt in Florida

87 months ago

If your afraid of door knocking, what makes you think you will be successful? That is what you HAVE to do with EJ. If you are worried about keeping your clients, go elsewhere. EJ will have you by the balls. If you want to keep your clients interview with AG Edwards or Raymond James. AG Edwards needs people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nick McDevitt in Florida

87 months ago

The door knocking was not towards you, it was towards the previous poster. There is absolutely no chip on my shoulder, but this career is a huge undertaking, and I was making a point to the previous poster that 2 years is a long time, and if they are afraid of door knocking, then they should think twice. There is a reason less than 20% of people make it, and that is one of them, not being prepared for what they are about to do.

The point I was making towards you was about your book of business. I went through the exact same process and thought track as you are going through now. You seem to have real world business experience, and that no matter how much you may want it to, things don't always work out how you want them to. Now, would you want to put in 5 years only to find your payouts are lower than many other companies? How about your parent company (EJ) just put 5 more agents in your smaller size town? You have no input on that. How about how they control what your expenses/rent/overhead are considered and you can only bonus when your branch is "profitable"?? Go to registeredrep.com and read. If you still feel comfortable going forward, then power to you. Me personally, I would like more control over my future and clients. Get that MY clients, not my companies clients.
I'm not rude, i'm realistic. I spent 3 months doing intensive research before I made a decision, and EJ was not for me. Are you ready to knock on 50-100 doors a day in 100 degree heat? If so, like I said, power to you. Just do your due diligence so you are not trapped three years from now. You are a step ahead already being licensed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I haven't seen any AG ads here. You say, they let you keep your clients after a certain amount of time?? I tried Raymond James already and unfortunately, they changed all of their company policies in the first quarter of 2006(when I was hired). I left before I got in too deep. I did not like their attitude towards small businesses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick McDevitt in Florida

87 months ago

If you enjoy working with small businesses you should take a heavy look at an insurance based/investment company like Mass Mutual, Guardian, etc. The bigger companies do not limit what you sell and still have good resources. If you are working with small businesses I am guessing you are selling them insurance/benefits as well, and your payouts(comissions) will be much higher with an insurance based company. I didn't see any AG ad's either, but it wouldn't hurt to go to their website and apply. I did and was offered......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

C in Chicago, Illinois

87 months ago

There seems to be TONS of posts about Edward Jones. Let me start off to say this, this is the most important thing that people in the hiring process should ask themselves. "How comfortable are you when it comes to door knocking and if you are, how long do you think you can do it?"

Edward Jones started because there weren't any financial firms outside of the city limits. Edward Jones went to farmers, who were wealthy, and sold them financial products. It was extremely popular because the farmers didn't have any advisors and they were mainly saving the money they have accumulated. Most of the Edward Jones offices aren't located in the financial district of your city, they are located in the outskirts. WHAT WALMART IS TO THE SHOPPING WORLD, IS EXACTLY WHAT EDWARD JONES IS TO THE FINANCIAL SERVICES BUSINESS. They stress so much on owning your own business and door knocking.

There is an advisor out in Illinois, near the Mississippi River who makes 600K a year. He doesn't have his college degree, he just lives in a town where everybody trusts him and knows him. He started out by going to the local Walmart, how ironic, and pretended to shop there. When people saw him, he would say that he is starting a new business and would like people to visit his office. Instantly he became successful through referrals.

There is another kid who recently graduated from some university out in California. He went to his fraternity brothers and made them put $25 a month for their ROTH IRA's and he made so much profit he was featured in some magazine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

C in Chicago, Illinois

87 months ago

There is tons of money to be made with Edward Jones but the key ingredient, and it is posted on their website, is door knocking. You have to make 25 contacts everyday. I went through my door knocking exercise and it took me 3 hours! Three hours later I made 25 contacts and I knocked on over 100 doors. You deal with people that aren't home, people who have no soliciting on their front doors, and people who basically lie to you in your face.

The reason they say only 10% of the people actually get hired is because only a small percentage of people actually brush off the task of door knocking. The rest of the population don't like door knocking and think it is silly. Any financial institution that offers a position that involves selling will basically hire anybody they interview. It is up to the individual to ask themselves if they feel comfortable with the strategies that the company was laying out.

It doesn't cost EJ too much to put you through training. If you are horrible at making contacts, you will be fired. If you don't make 25 contacts a day, they will fire you. The base is great for a company financial services company and the incentives are phenomenal. The reason is because you basically do the sales for them. You doorknock, the cheapest way of marketing that you will ever get. If you think about it, the companies like Merrill Lynch and Morgan Stanleys offer a better base. However you need a lot of experience and you need to hit a certain amount of sales otherwise YOU pay the Merrill Lynchs or the Morgan Stanleys if the world back. back.

Selling is an extremely tough thing to do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

C in Chicago, Illinois

87 months ago

Edward Jones has a great training program geared towards anybody willing to accept their philosophy. That's why you get so many applicants because they are rated one of the top firms. They go through so much and are selective because of the sales involved. If you have no experience in sales, then you won't get a call back. If you sold knives or anything, they will call you and you will just have to interview with them. Firms that offer commission will offer jobs to anybody, as long as they have some type of intelligence and are willing to sell the same philosophy as the company.

So just answer this, "Am I comfortable with doorknocking or I am just thinking I am?" Two very different things, because when you get hired and you actually start your first day after getting your licenses, it'll already be too late to say you aren't comfortable with doorknocking because you are expected to make 25 a day, 125 per week, and 3125 a year. Out of the 3125 you are looking at only 3% or 94 people who will actually do business with you. If a person makes a 100K investment with you, you only get 600 out of that deal. 600 X 94= 56400. That is $56400 on commissions alone for a year on average if you get the 25 contacts per day. That is your first year and 100K of investments from 100% of the people you do business with is a HUGE stretch. You also have to take into account that you get taxed differently from commissions rather than salary.

That's why it takes 3-5 years to really make a profit because you are building a business and you need referrals. I hope the breakdown helps people see behind the Edward Jones selling in order to have people sell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (88) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Rich in Saint Peters, Missouri

87 months ago

C in Chicago, Illinois said: it'll already be too late to say you aren't comfortable with doorknocking because you are expected to make 25 a day, 125 per week, and 3125 a year. Out of the 3125 you are looking at only 3% or 94 people who will actually do business with you. If a person makes a 100K investment with you, you only get 600 out of that deal. 600 X 94= 56400. That is $56400 on commissions alone for a year on average if you get the 25 contacts per day. That is your first year and 100K of investments from 100% of the people you do business with is a HUGE stretch. You also have to take into account that you get taxed differently from commissions rather than salary.

In Edward Jones recruiting materials, they state that the average commission is 39%. How does that compute in the example you provided?

If you could also expand on how the comissions are figured (percent of monthly contributions, etc) that would be great.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Jenise in Rio Rancho, New Mexico said: Are there any other companies that you guys know of that could use a person like me?

There is at least one company that could use someone like you... Mine. I'd like to speak with you about that. Please email me at rford00ssn@hotmail.com with a phone number and the best time to call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nick McDevitt in Florida

87 months ago

Not going to tell us which company??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

From other posts, I believe the company that BF in Oak Creek works for is World Financial Group/World Group Securities/Investment Advisors International. I have been doing some research and finding very negative comments on the company. I would like to know more about it though(without the rants). EJ pays a salary and sets you up in an office, I don't know if WFG/WGS/IAI does that...???? Also, I don't know what type of formalized training they offer.??????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick McDevitt in Florida

87 months ago

They set you up in an office, but it is not as simple as that. You are responsible for certain costs, and as I said previously, the overhead costs that they pay are part of your profit balance. Have you gone to registeredrep.com?

GreenacresWV in Harrisville, West Virginia

87 months ago

All of these posts have been VERY interesting.

What I found appealing about EJ is the SUPPORT! I have been an outside sales person for many years in a variety of capacities, usually covering large geographic areas, and have found that most companies don't give you the support you need so you can be in the field doing what you do best...selling!

A personal concern I have about EJ is that I live in a county with a population of 10,000 and a quarter of them are on some sort of disabilty/public assistance! We're getting a new McDonald's (the next closest one is 16 miles away). Maybe I'd put my desk there?!?!?!?

I'm looking forward to seeing more comments from previous posters. Thanks!!!

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.