Door to door

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

dks5003 in Tucson, Arizona

72 months ago

I am to do my door to door part of the interview proccess soon any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Houstenor in Tomball, Texas

71 months ago

My advice is to hit strip malls in your area. Go to every door like it recommends. It only took me 2 hours 40 minutes to get my 15 surveys done. Good luck! I am waiting for my offer from EJ. I am ready to start studying!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Berk in Arlington, Texas

68 months ago

Houstenor in Tomball, Texas said: My advice is to hit strip malls in your area. Go to every door like it recommends. It only took me 2 hours 40 minutes to get my 15 surveys done. Good luck! I am waiting for my offer from EJ. I am ready to start studying!

Can you email the questions on the survey or post them? I'm curious what the questions are before I talk to someone at Jones, thanks. webmunger@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Berk in Arlington, Texas said: Can you email the questions on the survey or post them? I'm curious what the questions are before I talk to someone at Jones, thanks. webmunger@hotmail.com

They were simple questions like, what do you like about the area, what would you change about it, how long have you lived here. It was completely non financial questions. It is strictly an excercise to let you know what door knocking feels like. That is EJ's primary approach to finding customers. If you don't like doing that and enjoy other ways of prospecting, EJ may not be for you.

If you go through the process, get 25 or more interviews. I did the minimum 15 and it might have been the reason I didn't get an offer. My dad, who is a FA at Jones did some checking and they said they felt I lacked the entreprenurial spirit. It's ok because I got an offer at Waddell & Reed. I actually like the setup there better than Jones because there are other FAs and my managing principal in the same office that I can ask questions. That is great for a newbie like me.

Don't get me wrong, Edward Jones is a great company. My dad was spitting mad at HR for not offering me a position because he knew I would have been successful. Their loss and W&R's gain.

If you are interested in W&R, check out some posts I have made about them here or go to waddell dot com.

Good luck with the process!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

brentonian in Princeton, New Jersey

67 months ago

The survey instructions say the majority should be residential. If you did all of your surveys at a strip mall, you didn't follow the directions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

brentonian in Princeton, New Jersey said: The survey instructions say the majority should be residential. If you did all of your surveys at a strip mall, you didn't follow the directions.

I didn't put it in my former post, but I did do residential areas. I split it half and half. The person conducting my interviews told me to do both business and residential interviews so I would get a feel of what a day in the life of a new FA was like. Even my f2f interviewer complimented me on doing both.

Regardless, it really is a moot point. It just wasn't in the cards for me to be an FA with them. Which is ok. I love the firm I am with and it turned out to be a better fit. Isn't that what we all want in a career anyway, a good fit? I have high regard for Edward Jones. It is a great company to work for and I wish everyone the best of luck in their career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michael Cheng in North Attleboro, Massachusetts

60 months ago

I just finished my surveys earlier this week and reached my committed complete surveys. What I was thinking of were 2 things: 1) "Pep". I am a billboard for EDJ and you never know who's watching from inside their windows. I hustled from door to door if there's no answer; and if someone doesn't want to participate then I politely close the conversation ASAP and hustle onto the next lucky individual who gets to take part in my awesome survey, or the next lucky soul who gets to shake my hand. 2) "User Experience". I don't tally or think about the score sheet when I'm standing in front of someone. I try as much as I can to stay engaged with the person I'm with right now. I can't reduce someone to a "tick" on my score sheet. What I did was write down their response starting on the 2nd page, so I could focus on the *person*. The highlight in the surveying was really the *persons* I had the chance to interact with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cam Giles in Austin, Texas

60 months ago

Do you have to doo all of the surveys on one day? Do they need to be done in the same neighborhood?

Whiney Orange hater in Flower Mound, Texas

60 months ago

Cam Giles in Austin, Texas said: Do you have to doo all of the surveys on one day? Do they need to be done in the same neighborhood?

The answer to both of your questions is no.

I recommend to do them in the evening, that way there is more of a chance that people will be home. Also, Saturday after about 9:30 AM is an excellent time as well.

I had a false start on a Friday afternoon, at around 2:00 PM. I only completed one survey after knocking on about 20 doors, then I twisted my ankle trying to step over the corner of a yard. It was actually a good thing; the next day (Saturday) I was able to do 19 surveys in under an hour and a half.

You also need to hit local businesses; I did seven, all in the same shopping center and it took under 45 minutes.

hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Financial Advisor ALmost in Charleston, Illinois

59 months ago

I had a ? for you guys. I am in the door-to-door stage obviously but I was wondering if just one response (getting one person to talk with you) counts as "one survey". Or does the whole sheet of 50+ blanks count as one survey?

Rant in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

58 months ago

Financial Advisor ALmost in Charleston, Illinois said: I had a ? for you guys. I am in the door-to-door stage obviously but I was wondering if just one response (getting one person to talk with you) counts as "one survey". Or does the whole sheet of 50+ blanks count as one survey?

If they answer all seven questions, then it counts as a fully completed survey. Question 8 is optional but you should try to ask for their number. Go out with expectation that roughly 20-25% will fully complete the survey. This activity will test you. I committed to 30 but was able to get 46 fully completed surveys. One word of advice; don't ask the questions verbatim. It's probably better to put them into your own words to make them less direct causing people to be more interested in completing the survey. Lastly, don't fake the survey since you'll only be fooling yourself in the end if you do get an offer.

I just received an offer yesterday and it was a great feeling. Good luck!

aKidWorkinIt in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

What's up people? A little piece of advice that I hope all of you have enough sense to understand about the door knockin surveys...

"Aim low, Shoot high"

Tell the people you will do the bare minimum 15 then do 30, the main point of this exercise is to see what kind of person you are (That's what I think anyways)

Edward Jones lets you know over and over they aren't looking for the person that will do the minimum, they are looking for the person that wants to go above and beyond. Therefore if you say I will do 20 and you do 20, then you are probably not what EJ is lookin for.

My take on the situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CaliforniaFA in Southern, California

58 months ago

Remember to read the directions that come with the survey. They are very specific, yet some many people glance at them and assume the survey is something it is not. Being an FA is about details. Read and understand what they are asking you to do, but assume nothing.

Also, like aKidWorkinIt, deliver more than the minimum. It shows EJ what makes you tick, but it also makes yourself realize what it will take if you have to go above and beyond if it means putting food on the table. It's better to "test yourself" now than later, after you have signed the contract and are on the training track.

Good luck!

TJGCAD in Charleston, South Carolina

58 months ago

I only have weekdays to complete my surveys, any advice on good times to do it? With people at work all day I was thinking of going in the evening around 4 or so...

Fairwayplay in Hudsonville, Michigan

58 months ago

Evenings are good but I went from 10am-2pm on a Friday and it worked well for me. Find older neighborhoods (we call them fat squirrel neighborhoods) if going during the day.

CaliforniaFA in Southern, California

58 months ago

Agree with Fairway Play on time and also the type of area. Do some drive-bys well ahead of time to locate the area(s) you hope to target. Also, since you have to do some small businesses, don't start too late otherwise you will lose the window when they are open. MOst close between 5p-6p on weekends.

TJGCAD in Charleston, South Carolina

58 months ago

Question four of my survey states " Do you frequent the businesses in the area? If so, which ones? "

is this a typo?

aKidWorkinIt in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

TJGCAD in Charleston, South Carolina said: Question four of my survey states " Do you frequent the businesses in the area? If so, which ones? "

is this a typo?

No, it is a stupid question however. Because of the fact that 95% of people will tell you, "all of them". But the question is written correctly.

SVl in Columbus

58 months ago

aKidWorkinIt in Houston, Texas said: No, it is a stupid question however. Because of the fact that 95% of people will tell you, "all of them". But the question is written correctly.

The questions are worded in such a way, that it makes you utilize your sales skills to get good answers to the questions..... ex. Instead of asking the person in front of you if they frequent the businesses in the area (obviously they do), say "What businesses do you frequent here in town? Whats your fav grocery store? Whats your fav restaurant? Where is your fav place to buy your clothes?"

Doing this will spark more conversation, and lead you to get better more detailed answers to the survey questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fairwayplay in Hudsonville, Michigan

58 months ago

Actually SVI has a point... they teach you in KYC not to ask a question they could simply answer "no" to but instead ask questions that spark a conversation like "What businesses do you frequent here in this area?"

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.