What's the company culture at Family Dollar?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Family Dollar?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Family Dollar?

Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Aurora, Colorado

89 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Family Dollar?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

All store managers wear uniforms. District managers wear suits, even when they are stocking shelves or transferring merchandise. No one is supposed to talk to each other during work hours. Upper management tells store managers not to hire any single mothers or men with families because they simply do not pay enough and these individuals will steal from them to make up for lousy pay. Clerks usually make minimum wage, asst. managers make about a dollar or two more per hour. Managers make anywhere from 600.00 per week salary to 1000.00 per week. Managers get hired at 50 hrs. a week but within six weeks I was told we had to work 64 hrs. per week. Almost all the stores are run with a skeleton crew with only two employees working at any given time unless its truck day, then everyone works but theres no talking. Morale is usually low. Don't listen to the hiring district manager when he tells you about profit sharing or bonuses, they fire people right around that time of year so they don't have to pay. I never heard of anyone actually getting any bonus or profit sharing. Large turnover of employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (93) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

NameGoesHere in Harrisburg, North Carolina

88 months ago

If that is all true then contact CNBC and tell them to do a story about it. I mean, if its ALL true about ALL these companies - and I am leaning toward it being true, then where in this nation are these great jobs everyone loves to BS the rest of us about? Where are they?

People with 4, 6 and more years of college CANT FIND WORK. Qualified, highly, even OVER qualified people!

Give me a break - everything these people tell us, especially the government and their lie-through-the-teeth politicians, are phoney and made up stories.

Ever wonder why so many people are out and about all day long, walking around doing what? They're UNEMPLOYED!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Deanna in Mount Holly, North Carolina

85 months ago

I've been gone from Family Dollar for quite awhile now, but we also ran the store with just two employees. Truck day was the only day we had three. You have to make the scedule out with what payroll they allow you which is hardly nothing. The manager's salary takes up over half the budget. They start employees out at minimum wage with a quarter raise a year. Insurance and benefits are a joke. What kills me is when managers etc of these companys complain because there is no good help out there. Excuse me, there is plenty of good help, but most good help won't work for minimum wage and crappy benefits---you get what you pay for!!!!!!
Back in my day, management wore red Family Dollar dress shirts, and regular employees had to wear those ugly smocks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

J.Schmidt in Vestal, New York

85 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Family Dollar?

My husband was a Family Dollar Manager for 6 years. They abuse the heck out of their salaried managers (You can see this for yourselves. Do an online search or go to their home page and search - they lost a multi million dollar class action suit for it). My husband put in an average of 60-80 hrs a week. Even going so far as to working overnight in the store! They continually cut the payroll so the manager has no choice but to work the majority of the hours themselves. My husband worked there as I said for 6 years w/ an exemplary record and a great working relationship w/ his district manager, Jill Benson. His stats included included increasing store profits by 16% and decreasing store shrink by 3%. The store he operated did 1.5 million in annual sales volume (Sidney, NY). He became the 2nd highest paid manager in Benson's district. Our 13 yr old son passed away 3 yrs ago. The holidays are tough. When my husband insisted he was only going to put in the mandatory 52 hours during this time, he was fired. After 6 years, completely blind-sided. Benson went so far as to outright lie about his hours at the unemployment hearing. Oh and by the way, the highest paid manager, who also had an exemplary record was fired two weeks later! They have you get their stores whipped into shape and when you start earning to much money they fire you, hire some young kid that they can pay peanuts just to keep their payroll costs down. Trust me...You don't want to give them your time, skills and energy, they won't care in the end!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dianne Dalton in Buffalo, New York

78 months ago

I can sympathize with overworked and underpaid employees. However, is that an excuse to ignore all the panhandlers outside the doors of the store and no one do anything about it? The manager at the Family Dollar Store on South Park and Louisianna Ave in Buffalo NY doesn't seem to care, no matter how many times you complain to her. She seems more interested in taking breaks in the back rather than dealing with panhandlers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

blhardi2 in Clifton Park, New York

76 months ago

i wanted to know if anyone could tell me if you get youe vacation hours if you are fired??? my husband was fired after 3 yrs because he was going to turn the store manager in for telling custermers they had to wait over 1/2 hr for her to finish unloading the truck and she was in enough trouble so she started saying he did his refunds wrong and didn't answer the home phone for her on his days off.she went as far as to call other custermers at home to ask about my husband. anyways to make a long story short she fired him while he had 70 hrs vacation time (already on his paystub) comming to him now we are woundering if he will ever see that money or if family dollar has a forfit policey??? any help would be great

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

65 months ago

I have seen trash companies like this before and will not give them the time of day and wont shop their stores either!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

joe tired in charlotte, North Carolina

58 months ago

Unreal. Family Dollar who already runs a skeleton crew in its stores just increased the hours the store is open. At two hours more operation per day with one employee in the morning and two at night to close thats 21 more hours a week. The company didnt give the stores any payroll for the extra hours. Thus to keep the store from being a wreck the manager has to cover alot of them, or choose to preside over a disaster. For the size stores Family dollar pays ok, for the hours worked no. If you need a job to tide you over a rough spot its good, but this company is a good example of why Unions were needed to battle abusive employers profiting off the backs of the workers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

McLean in New York

56 months ago

Interesting - my husband as well us just fired after 13 years as a Store Manager - highest paid in his district. We have had no family life for those 13 years - he worked every holiday (except the 2 they close on). He worked about 60 - 70 hours a week. The store manager is the only salaried employee. Pay was fine - the hours were not. He missed our children growing up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MomStu in Portage, Indiana

56 months ago

Dianne Dalton in Buffalo, New York said: I can sympathize with overworked and underpaid employees. However, is that an excuse to ignore all the panhandlers outside the doors of the store and no one do anything about it? The manager at the Family Dollar Store on South Park and Louisianna Ave in Buffalo NY doesn't seem to care, no matter how many times you complain to her. She seems more interested in taking breaks in the back rather than dealing with panhandlers.

Get real!!! If your going to complain about panhandlers why not complain to the police dept? Why should an overworked/underpaid mgr put his/her life on the line to remove panhandlers. Since you have so much balls...WHY DON'T YOU DEAL WITH IT!!! Come on mouthy Dianne lets see you say something to them? Or better yet shut the he** up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Las Vegas, Nevada

42 months ago

Cortland, NY in Cortland, New York said: Im sorry to hear that. I was also treated badly by the district manager. Why was your husband fired?

I just met the DM where I want to work, but I'm a lot more cautions after reading all these stories.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lacey in Oxford, Georgia

35 months ago

McLean in New York said: Interesting - my husband as well us just fired after 13 years as a Store Manager - highest paid in his district. We have had no family life for those 13 years - he worked every holiday (except the 2 they close on). He worked about 60 - 70 hours a week. The store manager is the only salaried employee. Pay was fine - the hours were not. He missed our children growing up.

2 days? They're only closed on Christmas now....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lacey in Oxford, Georgia

35 months ago

Family Dollar employees are only allowed to wear red collared shirts. In the winter time they aren't even allowed to wear jackets, UNLESS they purchase one from the Family Dollar "company store" which is a total joke because of the horrible quality and cheap material the items on there are made from. You pay at least $20 for the jacket depending on which one your order, and for the additional shipping if you choose to have it Fedex'd instead of delivered a month later on the truck. This thin, cheap, joke of a jacket is made of the same crappy material used on the jackets they sell there in the to customers, which are only $8. Plus, if it doesn't fit, that is your problem. There is a strict no return or exchange policy, not even for a different size.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sosohappyemplyee in Lake City, South Carolina

25 months ago

Lacey in Oxford, Georgia said: 2 days? They're only closed on Christmas now....

was option last year to open Christmas day (volunteers) so you bet they will take that one away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kingmopar in Boonieville, North Carolina

23 months ago

Beside the 1 "Company Troll" reply you got, most hit it right on the head. Wife worked at a small town store, assistant manager. Manager's get the majority of payroll budget, as they're in there 60-70 hrs a week- so they are normally strapped/stressed after this and thus,treat the rest of their few employees like crap. Alot of times, only one employee in store, high robbery risk, as well as alot of shop lifting that district managers want to blame on their few, underpaid employees instead of facing the fact the store is short-handed most of the time and they are easy prey. Few, if any, overhead cameras-other than the cash register. Benefits=JOKE, Bonuses=JOKE Treatment of Employees=JOKE HR Department=JOKE Spend 12 hours on your feet without a lunch, without a break, alone in store. You might be able to suck down a pack of Nabs and drink, while working the register and waiting on customers. Check on how many lawsuits are out there, against this company around employee treatment. That's why they have such high turn over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

dragonfly41489 in Tiffin, Ohio

17 months ago

I just have to say, I am an employee at a new Family Dollar store in Fostoria Ohio. I am a full-time cashier. I honestly love my store and my team, and even my DM. Yes, the pay IS minimum wage, but if I wasn't willing to accept that then I would have found another job rather than complaining about it. My only complaint at all is I wish their payroll was higher, but we all do, even the store manager. They don't want to short us on hours, they just do with what they are given. And even with our hours being determined by payroll, we still do ok because we hire people who only need a couple of days. We don't hire someone who tells us "I need 40 hours a week" and then only give them 15. We look for people who say "I have a job, but I need just a little more to make ends meet" or "I'm a student and I'm only available to work a limited schedule". Our store is not nearly as strict as what some of these other people are talking about. We are allowed to talk, especially on truck day, so long as we get our job done. We do have to follow a dress code, but is a very simple one- red polo and jeans and a name badge. We ARE allowed to wear a sweater in the winter, or a jacket, it just cannot have a logo on it unless it's a FD dollar logo. We get hour long lunches, cashiers are NEVER EVER alone in the store, there is always a manager on duty. Customer lines do not get backed up, when there is a line more than 3 people we are required to call the manager up and have them open the other register. I am allowed to have a drink and a small snack at my register, as long as I do not eat or drink in front of customers. I've been with the company for a mere 6 months with no prior retail experience. I started at the bottom and now they are preparing to train me to be an assistant manager, so there IS room for growth. I'm not saying FD is amazing, but there are far worse companies to work for. My team is very fluid together, and we run a CLEAN, happy store. NOT EVERY FD STORE IS THE SAME.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

former employee in Evansville, Indiana

17 months ago

Kingmopar in Boonieville, North Carolina said: Beside the 1 "Company Troll" reply you got, most hit it right on the head. Wife worked at a small town store, assistant manager . Manager's get the majority of payroll budget, as they're in there 60-70 hrs a week- so they are normally strapped/stressed after this and thus,treat the rest of their few employees like crap. Alot of times, only one employee in store, high robbery risk, as well as alot of shop lifting that district managers want to blame on their few, underpaid employees instead of facing the fact the store is short-handed most of the time and they are easy prey. Few, if any, overhead cameras-other than the cash register. Benefits=JOKE, Bonuses=JOKE Treatment of Employees=JOKE HR Department=JOKE Spend 12 hours on your feet without a lunch, without a break, alone in store. You might be able to suck down a pack of Nabs and drink, while working the register and waiting on customers. Check on how many lawsuits are out there, against this company around employee treatment. That's why they have such high turn over.

This comment nails it! I worked for family dollar for four years as an assistant manager. I had a Moron for a district manager. I was robbed at gunpoint in october 2012 and the only thing the company did was cut the budget even more. They acted as though an armed robbery was just part of the job and dont think your getting any time off or any counseling, please!!!! My store manager retired and I was jerked around for three weeks before being told by the district manager that he hired someone from the outside. I was totally qualified to run the store but i went over his heard aboout his response to the robbery. Im sure thats why I was not promoted. I actually have a brain, a conscience and am capable of producing a complete sentence and an original thought which is NOT what they are looking for. I have a real job in retail now where I am appreciated. Get out as soon as possible!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ethel Grady in Miami, Florida

11 months ago

Using name badges as a part of dress code is implemented in most of the companies. The name badges are a way of promotion for the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dylan21 in Council Bluffs, Iowa

11 months ago

I worked for Family Dollar for a year and a half. I left last April after being completely ripped off by the company. I was hired in as a cashier, and after five months I was given a "service assistant" position, which was a part-time management position.. I did all the work of an assistant except I was not guaranteed full time hours. Even though I was expected to be on call and come in whenever asked, work holidays, and run open to close shifts when the store manager did not feel he should work (just like a regular assistant) and basically to be at the store's beck and call, no questions- I just wasn't given the pay or benefits (which weren't much better for full time managers anyway). Finally, after months of 14 hours a day and having no life- the position was pulled and I was immediately demoted. I was guaranteed an assistant manager position once one became available at my store.. I wasn't going to wait for that. I put in that much time and effort to move up the chain for crap pay, crap raises, and crap benefits, only to be kicked back down to 10 hours a week. I've been gone for almost two years.. besides me, the other management followed suit after realizing what a joke of a company Family Dollar is. All they care about is their profits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pjgs in Las Vegas, Nevada

7 months ago

i still work at family dollar and its a great company to advance in quick. Yes we do work with skeleton crews and work more ours asa store manager than we are paid there are lots of times i am left alone from open till 4pm and no break to eat or go to the bathroom. they want you to get the frieght out yet tell you not to leave the front of the store. How do you get it done when your stuck in one place. My store has 4 employees due to such a small amount of hours. So I have to work open to close twice a week sometimes. We also only get one day off.They blame all the theft on internal shrink and put new managers in bad stores and watch them fail.I personally have been threw this and now am stepping down. I have no time with my family because my 52 has become 65-70.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.