Claims Rep application

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 84)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Lyle in Salt Lake City, Utah

87 months ago

I'm wondering if this advertisement for a claims rep position is legitimate. I have applied twice, and then even got a call from the recruiter to do a phone interview. I did that and he said that I should get call in 4 business days to set up an appointment to do the pre-testing. I waited and then didn't here anything back so I called the Sandy office and spoke to a nice lady in HR who forwarded my resume on to the recruiter, even after I had applied on-line and included my resume. I then got a call back from the recruiter telling me he needed me to apply specifically on-line for that position which I did again. I didn't hear anything back from them again. I went to a job fair where there was an agent from Farmer's and I told her about my experience with this application. She said she would talk to the person in charge to get it expedited. I got an e-mail from them telling me they were considering other applicants. I then saw the job posting again this time with a different recruiter and a phone number. I called and talked to her and told her what had happened and she said she would talk to the manager of the office that was looking for the claims reps and get the latest information as to why I might have been overlooked for this position, which by the way, I am qualified for. I followed up and she said he has been really busy and hasn't gotten back to her about it. I think they don't really want to hire anyone for it, and I would recommend applying somewhere else. It is nothing but a huge runaround.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Ladybug7903 in Saint Louis, Missouri

87 months ago

Farmer's is very selective with their interviewing. My experience was different, I was contacted by email from the recruiter. In the email it said Congratulations you have been selected for the interviewing process, and that I had to complete this EXTENSIVE behavioral questionnaire. It had about 20 questions and it took me about 2 days to finish, questions about your customer service style, how you cope with cope and difficult situations, why you want to work with them, examples of how you take initiative, etc. I worked very hard on that questionnaire because I wanted it to be very thorough and give specific examples.
I returned the questionnaire to the recruiter, she thanked me and said she was VERY impressed that I was so thorough. I then had a phone interview, then bam... nothing.

I did work with someone who claimed to go through their entire interviewing process which she said was very hard and lengthy. Problem was, they offered her the Claims Rep job with great pay, but right before her start date, Farmers claimed to have a hiring freeze. A while later she said they called her saying the freeze was lifted and she interviewed again, was offered the job again and the exact same thing happened, only the 2nd time they didn't tell her until she came in to sign her new hire paperwork.
I believed what she was saying because when I had my phone interview with the recruiter, she mentioned hiring freezes. And at the time I applied for the job, the recruiter said the job was not actually available, but because they knew someone was going to be leaving, they wanted to get the interviewing process started since it was so lengthy and very selective.

So...I guess the answer to your question is yes, the position is legitimate but it may be a question of if it is really available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Claim Rep in waiting in Hartford, Connecticut

86 months ago

I am having a similar experience currently, interviewed over phone and in persone, took test and throughout the entire process was told that they are looking hiring within the next few months as the position is not necessarily open yet. They did not state anything about a hiring freeze though. In my interviews they were very positive and told me how well qualified I am for the position, yet they have still not made a hiring decision. At this point I would take anything, even a letter stating they are not interested. Is there anyone out there who actually went through the whole process and took the job? If so how long from start to finish before they actually extended an employment offer to you? It is a good thing I am already gainfully employed as if I was an active job seeker I would've taken something else by now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Li in Seattle, Washington

85 months ago

Hi,
I submitted my resume on Sunday and got a call requesting a phone interview on Tuesday, then Wednesday got a call for interview the following week. I was given a specific start date in September. I think they coordinate all of their training so maybe that is the hold up. I am going to give it a go, but keeping my options open and interviewing with a lot of other companies at the same time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Keep Looking in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

85 months ago

Li in Seattle, Washington said: Hi,
I submitted my resume on Sunday and got a call requesting a phone interview on Tuesday, then Wednesday got a call for interview the following week. I was given a specific start date in September. I think they coordinate all of their training so maybe that is the hold up. I am going to give it a go, but keeping my options open and interviewing with a lot of other companies at the same time.

I would definatly keep your options open - they strung me along for three months. I finally called and said that I needed to know if I was still in the running for the position, the manager told me "definately"...two days later I looked online and saw through the recruitment site that the job had been filled. Never a call or letter to let me know - very inconsiderate of applicants time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Li in Ellensburg, Washington

85 months ago

Thanks. I have some good leads so I will keep the options open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LL in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

I had a similar experence with this company. There was a position open for six months without being filled. It's still open. I believe farmer's does alot of fishing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Li in Bellevue, Washington

85 months ago

I finished adn passed exams in record time. They gave me interview, then SECOND interview immediately. Then they called me on the way home telling me the offer letter is on its way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shiru, iTulsa OK in Omaha, Nebraska

84 months ago

Li, i am supposed to take the exam tomorrow at 1.30. Any tips, any specifics u can remember about the exam, what questions , what way to go about it. Did u get the job yet?...Thanks....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Li in Bellevue, Washington

84 months ago

The test was easy. I guess, just read the question all the way through; there are some sneaky computation problems. He said I finished it in record time if that tells you anything. Before starting, calculate how much time you have to spend on each problem first and keep that under consider---some questions will go faster than others. Also, I don't check my work because second-guessing my first answer seems to be the devil in my world. So, good luck, and the people posting complaints about the exam problems probably shouldn't get the job anyway because it is not a difficult test. Use common sense when you go to solve them. Seriously--it's easy.

Shiru in Omaha, Nebraska

84 months ago

Thanks for the tip. When u get a chance to reply....can u tell me how the interview was, how long,how detailed, what kind of questions they concentrate more on etc.....i might break yr record lol!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

decarlos in Burleson, Texas

84 months ago

I interview with Farmers about a year ago for Liability Adjuster. I went through the whole hiring process interview, test, and committee interview. They even called former employers. I never received a rejection letter or an acceptance letter. However, I recently interviewed via phone for the Property Claims Representative position in Plano, TX. They did send me a rejection email. Even though, I am a licensed adjuster, 16 course hrs in construction, 3+ years customer service, and a Bachelors degree in business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Miki in Grand Rapids, Michigan

84 months ago

Is there anyone that actually got the job? It seems they just waste people's time.

Benny456 Arbogast in Camas, Washington

84 months ago

If you apply for any postings with Farmers Insurance, understand that they are very unprofessional in handling applicants. They posted some openings recently. I applied following the instructions at the job board. The recruiter contacts me 2 weeks later. Tells me I need to apply at the Farmers site. I do so. The recruiter spends the next two weeks after that avoiding my follow up calls and e-mails. Finally after another week the recruiter tells me I'm not selected. Lucky me. Can you imagine what the culture is like there, or at any other company that rude to their applicants. Its like they assume they are the only insurance company looking for applicants. So, a word to the wise: If you apply with Farmers, know that their attitude is they are extending you a privilege by letting you apply. They demand that you be professional, but don't value being professional themselves. Better to avoid companies with that attitude. Life is too short. There are too many other, better opportunities out there. I found one. You can too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cheesewiz in Sacramento, California

84 months ago

The offices in Sacramento run ads for agents every day in the paper. However, if you call, no one calls back. I interviewed for a job at another site, was told they were "going to move forward" with my app and have not heard from them since. They are now avoiding my calls. What a strange company. No wonder they are in trouble all the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shira Fuller in Tucson, Arizona

82 months ago

Its very interesting to read all of this; I've had the same experience over the past few weeks with Farmers. Having read all of the different posts, I can only conclude that everyone has a different experience. While I'm kind of stuck in the waiting game right now as well, the last news I got was good news, so I'm going with that. I get the feeling that there is a fair amount of turnover at Farmer's, which makes it difficult for people to get jobs passed through. I was recently told that my information and test scores (all of which are adequate to qualify for the position I'm applying for) had been submitted but that it could take 2-3 months to get it approved. THat's life. Its a great job so I'll wait around for it.

I want to say two things: one - many of Farmer's associates are independent contractors. Some of the district managers have assistants, but not all. Like most independent contractors, they all have different ways of working, and not all of them practice professional business ettiquete. However, I've found most recruiters to be flightly like this, so I don't take it personally.

Second, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong or illegal about rejecting a potential candidate due to his or her criminal history, no matter how far back it goes. Its actually considered good business in this industrya. Most insurance and investment firms are required to check back to 10 years, but most go back further than that. I currently work in compliance and there is a responsibility to potential customers to ensure that their agent doesn't have any reason to misappropriate their money. When there's a constant potential conflict of interest, you have to make sure that your behind is covered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

frijol in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

Made it through the math/reading/grammar test - no problem. Then they have you check off all adjectives that apply to you(personality-behavior battery). Then no phone call, no email, nada. Dont waste my time & I wont waste yours Farmers .

Met a guy today waiting to interview @ another firm. told me that he actually went out- got licensed, took estimating software classes(@$500) out of pocket, and you got it,.. no call, email

superacidjax in Olathe, Kansas

75 months ago

I just got an offer from Farmers (doing a specialized type of claims.) I sent my resume in on the Monday following Memorial Day. Within three days, I had two calls for interviews. In less than one week (total time,) I flew to Kansas City for the testing and interview. Less than 36 hours after the interview, I had a job offer and a training start date in about ten days.

Of course, I wasn't appling to a position listed on their employment site. Instead, I had a current Farmers employee forward my resume to their manager who in turn gave it to the recruiters.

In my experience, Farmers is a first class organization. They must sift through tons of applications and there are plenty of people that are qualified on paper, but that doesn't mean they are qualified. There are many subjective factors that are very important in the process.

To those trying to work for Farmers, good luck. I have been in the job market for a while and I know the frustrations. Just don't give up -- trust me, I know from long experience!

laser in los angeles, California

75 months ago

I just want to share my experience with Farmers. I was tested, interviewed. I did get an offer and started working for them. Actually, I didn't really work, I began taking their online course for two and half weeks and felt dehumanized. Their process for actually obtaining the position is long and unorganized. You are not an ACTUAL employee until you pass their examinations. I did not enjoy it one bit. I would have actually liked the job itself but they judge you on your testing abilities more than anything. They did welcome me with open arms but when it came down to support and direction, they were unclear and of No help! Im glad I got the chance to get out. So if you can take continious test and don't mind that type of process, go for it. Some are meant for this industry and others aren't. But if you get a chance, I would say try it cause you may never know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jannie in Lemont, Illinois

74 months ago

laser in los angeles, California said: I just want to share my experience with Farmers. I was tested, interviewed. I did get an offer and started working for them. Actually, I didn't really work, I began taking their online course for two and half weeks and felt dehumanized. Their process for actually obtaining the position is long and unorganized. You are not an ACTUAL employee until you pass their examinations. I did not enjoy it one bit. I would have actually liked the job itself but they judge you on your testing abilities more than anything. They did welcome me with open arms but when it came down to support and direction, they were unclear and of No help! Im glad I got the chance to get out. So if you can take continious test and don't mind that type of process, go for it. Some are meant for this industry and others aren't. But if you get a chance, I would say try it cause you may never know.

What went wrong? I was offered a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

74 months ago

I'm scheduled to take the pre-employment (LEAP/LOMA) test tomorrow. I absolutely suck at math so that part has me pretty nervous but overall I'm perform well on tests.

What level math problems are we talking here? Algebra? Calculus? Geometry?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Not even algebra. Just critical thinking.. logic and some basic calculations (percents, stuff like that.)Just use the provided scratch paper and map out things you're unsure of. You don't even need a calculator, though one is usually provided.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

74 months ago

superacidjax in Olathe, Kansas said: Not even algebra. Just critical thinking.. logic and some basic calculations (percents, stuff like that.)Just use the provided scratch paper and map out things you're unsure of. You don't even need a calculator, though one is usually provided.

Thanks for your comments. How are liking Farmers so far? I've been in insurance a little over 3 years now and I really hope I get this position.

74 months ago

I love it here. I'm actually sitting in a training class right now, learning about roofs. I am a few weeks away from being finished with training. The training is very good and the company is honest to both customers and employees (based on my observations.) Good luck! I remember I felt like you did only a month ago..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

74 months ago

I have heard very good things about their training both on the adjusting and agent side. What kind of claims will you be involved in?

74 months ago

I am doing specifically property, mostly residential. I'm on the Catastrophe team so it's lots of hail and windstorm damage to roofs. The training involves obviously learning insurance policy interpretation, but the majority is learning about basic construction and damage assessment/estimating. It's a good time. The Cat team is a super group, especially if you like travel. The "normal" branch office work is often water damage (burst pipes, etc.) The branch office work is fairly 9-5ish, the Cat team is three weeks on the road, five days home. Cat team takes a special breed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

If you're on the Catastrophe Response Team, the workload will be high (overtime is paid almost continually.) In the branch offices, I couldn't tell you too much about the day-to-day, but it's typically very 9-5. When the claim load gets really high (as it would in a catastrophe situation) a "Cat" is declared and then they deploy us.. The Cat team world is very asyncronous.. you have a supervisor, but when you're out in the field, you're pretty much in charge. As long as you meet your goals (Customer Satisfaction, Accuracy, Efficiency) you are left alone. Your supervisor is always a phone call away and you're highly connected technologically. We have touchscreen, Panasonic Toughbook (CF-74) laptops with broadband cards, mobile printers and can do estimates and print checks right from our cars (usually a rental or a company car.) The standards are very high, the hours often long, but you are very much a professional and are compensated and promoted as such. Farmers as a company has fantastic benefits and so many different departments that the room for growth is about as limited as your ability to work hard. Customer Satisfaction is the primary concern of the company -- remember that in your interview. The Customer isn't necessarily always right, but they are always the top priority.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

74 months ago

Sounds interesting, you are definitely getting some good training and experience. I go to me the hiring manager on my lunch hour and take the test and do a brief interview. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

74 months ago

Just posting back to let you know I passed the pre-employment test. Next step is the phone screening interview. I'll keep you posted as to what the result is.

jonE in San Jose, California

74 months ago

Hi all,

I applied for the Liability Claims Rep position. In a few weeks the regional recruiter called me for a phone interview, and in a few days the local HR called me for testing and an interview if I passed.

I passed the test and went through the interview, and was told I'd hear from them in 1-2 weeks for another interview or the next step, whatever that was. I waited 2 weeks, called the office to follow up, and it turns out my application had been referred to another district because of my location. I told them though that I was planning to relocate to their specific area, and so I'm supposedly now in consideration for 2 different areas, so we'll see if I get a call back.

I just got hired at another job (different field), but I was hoping to get this job as the pay is higher, and I definitely like the other aspects (field work, company car, and telecommuting).

Has anyone ever read the job testimonies at jobvent.com for Farmers though? They make it sound like a terrible place, and it leaves me wondering if I should sacrifice my new job to work at a place like that, even if the pay is an increase on the one I'm about to get.

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

74 months ago

jonE in San Jose, California said: Hi all,

I applied for the Liability Claims Rep position. In a few weeks the regional recruiter called me for a phone interview, and in a few days the local HR called me for testing and an interview if I passed.

I passed the test and went through the interview, and was told I'd hear from them in 1-2 weeks for another interview or the next step, whatever that was. I waited 2 weeks, called the office to follow up, and it turns out my application had been referred to another district because of my location. I told them though that I was planning to relocate to their specific area, and so I'm supposedly now in consideration for 2 different areas, so we'll see if I get a call back.

I just got hired at another job (different field), but I was hoping to get this job as the pay is higher, and I definitely like the other aspects (field work, company car, and telecommuting).

Has anyone ever read the job testimonies at jobvent.com for Farmers though? They make it sound like a terrible place, and it leaves me wondering if I should sacrifice my new job to work at a place like that, even if the pay is an increase on the one I'm about to get.

I've definitely been to jobvent.com and have seen what you're referring to. I don't know about you, but it seemed like most of those people were young (first job out of college) and had no real job or industry experience. Claims is a tough thing if you're not prepared. It sounded also that most of the complaints were from a few particular claims offices.

All you can do is judge for yourself. Try it and then really ask yourself if your experience matches what you read on jobvent. I currently work in the insurance industry so I have contacts everywhere (agents, adjusters, managers, underwriters, brokers etc...). I have not come accross anyone who regretted the decision to make insurance their career. That's what I focused on.

74 months ago

You're right BenW..I shouldn't let the bad experiences of a few people in certain branches deter me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I agree with Ben completely. It also sounds like there are some sour grapes as well. Also, I can tell you first hand that the comment suggesting that the 38.5 hour work week was increased to 40 as some means to get more "free" overtime from employees is a complete lie. I work at Farmers now and every week when I enter my hours, the default work week is actually 37.5 hours and it was not increased. Whomever wrote that is completely wrong and the misinformation seems to be indicative of a problem employee, not an exploitative employer. The comments regarding becoming and working as an Agent are irrelevant, because insurance sales is a "self-employed" type of job. The whining from the former agent is just that whining. Agents do make good money, but it's an independent business, much like a franchise would operate.

Yes claims work is challenging (it's why I love it,) but it is utterly false that they try to squeeze free work or discourage overtime. I just drove back to Kansas City from my deployment to Minnesota and I was being paid overtime for each and every hour it took for me to drive from Minnesota (it was on a Sunday.) That's just an anecdote, but my experience is another element to consider. I love it at Farmers. Those people on jobvent that want to cry about everything -- well I wouldn't want to call them teammates and I'm glad they quit (or were fired.) Farmers, especially in the Catastrophe Team is a family -- we work really hard, get paid well and play hard.

To those considering the company, good luck. I hope that you have the chance to join the team and finally feel good about going to work each day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

73 months ago

Good info superacidjax. My phone screening is tomorrow and was wondering if you could enlighten me as to what to expect?

73 months ago

BenW in Mobile, Alabama said: Good info superacidjax. My phone screening is tomorrow and was wondering if you could enlighten me as to what to expect?

I had my phone screening a few weeks ago. Not sure if it'll differ for you, but the regional recruiter told me about the cool things about Farmers, the pay, what I'd be doing, etc. I was told to watch the "day in the life" videos to see which position I would like to go for before the phone screening, and I did, and that helped me answer the question of what I'd like to try to do and why.

Then of course there were the typical interview questions. Questions asking about a time I had to deliver bad news and how it went, a time when I had to handle a stressful situation, a time when I had to lead a group, etc.

I was told I did a great job but that I'd probably be asked to be more specific in the real interviews.

Right now I've gone through the phone screening, test, interview, and now I'm scheduled for a second interview this friday.

I'm still torn honestly on whether to believe the ever increasing reports on jobvent, or to just go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I didn't do a phone screening due to how I was recruited. But, the info listed above sounds similar to what some of my friends went through. I wouldn't listen to jobvent too much because most of the people that post on there seem like they were wash-outs anyway. There's a lot of complaining about overtime, I am assisting in a branch office this week and I'm having the chance to see what non-Catastrophe Claims is like. I can attest that the gripes about uncompensated (or required) overtime are completely false. My co-worker today wanted to work a few hours late to finish a claim we did today and he had to ask permission for the overtime. Otherwise, he just would have had to wait until business hours tomorrow. Lots of jobvent seems like sour grapes, at least regarding farmers. There are some other "Hate-Farmers" sites out there as well. Farmers is a company of over 20,000 employees -- there will always be gripes with a company that big. Unless you are working for Google, every company will have a minority of people that are bitter about one thing or another. As a company, Farmers seems to treat their customers very well, in both policy and reality and the employees are also treated very well. The benefits are fantastic and the chance for advancement is very concrete. Expectations are clearly spelled-out and I know exactly the results I must achieve to get raises and be promoted. But, there will always be people who think that the employer is there to serve the employee and not the other way around. Companies pay us to achieve a result. There are some people that seem to think that hard work is an injustice. Those same people would be unhappy in any company. The best advice I could give is to look up your local Farmers claims office and go visit it. Talk to current employees. Don't rely only on highly vocal naysayers on the internet. Afterall, how many posts are there on jobvent? How many employees does Farmers have? Good luck with your decision!

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

73 months ago

Just letting you guys know I just did the phone screening interview. The regional recruiter told me I did very well on the employment test and she said out of 46 applicants I am one of 5 still in consideration. I got the impression that they are moving me along faster than anyone else. She didn't say that I just got that feeling. She went throught the standard interview questions and I tried to be as sincere as possible and give specific examples as best I could. I did some research on phone interviewing so I was prepared for most of the questions. The only question that I don't think I did a great job of answering was "what was a time when you were involved in a difficult negotiation?" That one was tough for me because I really haven't been involved in a difficult negotiation. I answered the best I could and gave a general example. Other than that I'd say it went fine.

She gave me the contact info for the hiring manager I will be doing the face to face interview with. Thought that was kinda odd since most jobs will contact you and they don't really want you to have the hiring managers info just in case you weren't hired and maybe you aren't too happy about it lol... She did say the hiring manager should be contacting me within a week though so we'll see. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Anyway, so far so good. Keep your fingers crossed.

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

73 months ago

Got throught the phone screening and now I have an in person interview with a manager at the claims office in Birmingham on Wednesday. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm hopefull but don't have my hopes up if that makes any sense. I know there are others being considered.

73 months ago

Reread some of my earlier posts about Behavior-based interviewing.. Also remember the "STAR" method. In response to a question, give the "S"ituation, "T"ask, "A"ction and "Results." Be very specific, using your past experiences to answer the questions. Don't use "I would do.." so much, use "I did.." Also remember, very, very important. Customer Service is paramount. So when given a question about multi-tasking, be sure to emphasize how you would take care of the customer's immediate needs before anything else. Let us know how it goes. Also, if any of you would like me to get you in contact with a Catastrophe Corps recruiter, send me an email: brian.denfert.rochereau@gmail.com. This is my personal email, I don't use my company email in public because I am on this forum as a private person, not a company representative. Get in touch with me if you'd like me to talk to you more about the Cat team. I can also forward your resume directly to the team's recruiter. A disclaimer: any advice I've given is not necessarily the views of Farmers, they are just my personal views. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I had my final behavioral interview this past Friday. I think I actually hit those points superacidjax mentioned.

73 months ago

Good luck! It sounds like you did your best.. time to relax and wait for the offer..

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

73 months ago

superacidjax, I am interviewing with a claim manager in the main state claim office this week. It will be the second in person interview for me. I think this is the final step as they haven't mentioned anything beyond this. Is there anything I should expect other than the standard interview questions?

73 months ago

This should ideally be the final interview. There isn't anything particularly out of the ordinary that you should expect. The behavior-based questions that I've discussed throughout this topic will likely be what to expect. Google "Behavior Based intervieing" for some practice in that unqiue form of interviewing. Just remember the "S.T.A.R." format of answering questions (explained above.) Each hiring manager is different, although there are interviewing guidelines that they all tend to follow. Be ready to talk about specifics in your work history and be enthusiastic and confident. Good luck, I hope that you end up with Farmers -- for me, at least, I am amazed at how lucky I've been at finding such a great situation.

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

73 months ago

Thanks for all your help. I really hope I get this position. I'll post back here afterwards to let you know how it went. It's a 4 hour drive one way for this interview so I am hoping they hold me in high regard to ask me to take a day off work and travel to that extent.

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

73 months ago

Just had my final behavioral interview yesterday. I had to drive to the state claims office in Birmingham (4 hours one way) so I really hope I get offered the position. I think I did well on the interview. Not perfect but well enough I think. Unless somebody else is significantly more qualified than I am, I don't see a reason why I shouldn't be offered the position. But hey, I'm sure everyone feels that way!

jonE, were you offered the position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Unfortunately I didn't get the position. It took them only about two days to email me
their decision. I did fine at the interview, I hit what I thought were key points, and seeing as this was an entry level position I can only assume that someone else's interview stories and responses were better somehow..or their previous job experiences were somehow more relevant. Oh well..that's how it goes I suppose.

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

73 months ago

jonE in San Jose, California said: Unfortunately I didn't get the position. It took them only about two days to email me
their decision. I did fine at the interview, I hit what I thought were key points, and seeing as this was an entry level position I can only assume that someone else's interview stories and responses were better somehow..or their previous job experiences were somehow more relevant. Oh well..that's how it goes I suppose.

You're right at least you got far in the process which is something because MOST people don't get that far with this company.

What exactly is your background and education? Have you ever worked in insurance before?

73 months ago

I had a political science BA.
I had never worked in insurance but I did have medical coding experience which I had been told was a plus since they get medical information in liability claims. And I had a wealth of customer service experience helping with patients and with clients at a fitness center.

The qualifications they stated that they needed I had. I was persistent with following up. I got through the interviews well, passed thw tests, and I thought I did a good job with everything, but I guess someone else just had it better.

If anything, I'm going to guess what did me in was perhaps my behavior. I'm a pretty laid back guy and mate they didn't think I could be enough of a prick to tell people when their claims wouldn't be covered? I told them though, as a bill collector at a doctor's office I had plenty of experience delivering bad news..but maybe that wasn't enough.

73 months ago

"maybe" not "mate" haha

BenW in Mobile, Alabama

73 months ago

jonE in San Jose, California said: I had a political science BA.
I had never worked in insurance but I did have medical coding experience which I had been told was a plus since they get medical information in liability claims. And I had a wealth of customer service experience helping with patients and with clients at a fitness center.

The qualifications they stated that they needed I had. I was persistent with following up. I got through the interviews well, passed thw tests, and I thought I did a good job with everything, but I guess someone else just had it better.

If anything, I'm going to guess what did me in was perhaps my behavior. I'm a pretty laid back guy and mate they didn't think I could be enough of a prick to tell people when their claims wouldn't be covered? I told them though, as a bill collector at a doctor's office I had plenty of experience delivering bad news..but maybe that wasn't enough.

I have a BA in psychology and a minor in communications. I have over 3 years of insurance experience but on the agent side. I tried to 'sell' my agency experience and insurance knowledge. I think if someone beats me out for this job its most likely because they have prior experience directly in claims.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.