FedEx News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 212)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does FedEx stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

CA in Morgantown, West Virginia

86 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

All depends on the operating company that you have an opportunity with. Every operation does grow with the business that grows. The organization is strong and will continue to thrive with the vision of Fred Smith. The environment is very fast paced and if you are not someone that adjusts to change well. Business is not for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Staten Island, New York

85 months ago

I can tell you that the turnover rate is increasing at Fedex. They are not meeting the needs of the employees. It has turned for the worse over the past 5 years or so. Obviously, I do not see this as a positive thing for the company. Yes, I am an employee too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Stevem in Southfield, Michigan

82 months ago

CA in Morgantown, West Virginia said: All depends on the operating company that you have an opportunity with. Every operation does grow with the business that grows. The organization is strong and will continue to thrive with the vision of Fred Smith. The environment is very fast paced and if you are not someone that adjusts to change well. Business is not for you.

You sound like a big butt kisser.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Southfield, Michigan

82 months ago

Mark in Staten Island, New York said: I can tell you that the turnover rate is increasing at Fedex. They are not meeting the needs of the employees. It has turned for the worse over the past 5 years or so. Obviously, I do not see this as a positive thing for the company. Yes, I am an employee too.

The turnover rate is increasing because Fedex has gotten away from its slogan "The World On Time" all they care about is how much 1 person can leave the station with (over loading to capacity) not caring if the courier is on time or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

dbsdey in Lakeland, Florida

79 months ago

FedEx "IS" laying off workers. When they bought Watkins, employees were assured that lay offs would not be necessary. Less than a year later, FedEx starting cutting Watkins employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Mark Cumbee in Roanoke, Virginia

79 months ago

FEDEX NATIOANL, THE NEWEST FEDEX COMPANY HAS JUST STARTED A
LAY OFF PERIOD THIS MONTH. DRIVERS AND SUPERVISORS ARE BEING LAID OFF IN RECORD NUMBERS STARTIN THE WEEK OF 10/08/2007
tHE LAYOOFS ARE UNDER THE GUISE OF FEDEX'"REENGINEERIN PROGRAM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

lori in Dallas, Texas said: Lay-Off? FedEx does not lay off eemployee's never have never will! They have every second accounted for..I have never seen our station over fully staffed...we never have enough people...that might put us over in hours!!! hahha

HELLO,
1 AM AN OERATIONS SUPERVISOR IN ROA (1 OF ONLY 2)
UNDER THE NEWLY UNVEILED "REENGENEERIG" PROGAM I. ALONG WITH 7 OTHERS HAVE JUST BEEN LAID OFF 10/09/2007

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer W in Memphis, Tennessee

79 months ago

FedEx does lay off people. I have worked for FedEx for 20 years and in the last 5 years I have seen several people laid off. What usually happens is an employee is displaced because either they are overstaffed or the department is no longer needed. The employee then has 90 days to find another position within the company and if after 90 days they do not find anything they are laid off. The problem is they usually cannot find another position because technology has eliminated a lot of jobs or they are qualified for the open positions. Its sad FedEx is not the company it used to be. The P-S-P (People, Service, Profit) rule they used to follow has reversed and they put their Profit before there employees. The people in the Hub are treated horribly most are wrote up if they are sick and call in. Working out in the weather you cannot help but be sick. And if you are in an office such as myself and are hourly, non-exempt its like you are not a part of the company to some degree. FedEx treats their exempt people wonderfully and the truth is most of the time they work less than any of the hourly people. At least this is true at the location I work at which is on Airways Blvd. Sorry, didn't mean to go on a tangent but as much as I love working for FedEx I hate the way they treat the really hard workers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

FEDEX is laying off workers all over the U.S. After being employed with Watkins for 17 years and FEDEX for a year, I was released with no notice. Just came in one Monday and was laid off with no warning, was not given a chance to move to another location, and all benefits were cut off at midnight of the day I was laid off.
We now have no insurance of any kind. I had been paying on my life insurance for 18 years. It will cost over $8,000 a year if I want to have the same life insurance, which means that I have lost all of the money invested in my life insurance. COBRA health insurance will cost $672 per month.
FEDEX is NOT a good company to work for if you happen to be employed by a company they buy out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RMathews in Saint Louis, Missouri

79 months ago

The vision Uncle Fred had 30 years ago was great...family atmosphere, entrepreneureal spirit, etc. Today it is a giant corporate conglomerate which does not care about its employees, only the bottom line. Worked there for 10 years and was amazed they made any money considering the INefficiency and wasted hours of managers and employees.
FedEx Express, the core business Fred built his corporation on, will be a thing of the past. He will use his independent contractor FedEx Ground to do all the work. I hope those people unite and become real employees. He would have to take on the burden of health care, vehicles, fuel, etc. which he is NOT doing now having half of his workforce as ICs. Talk about a scam. Those poor saps are told they'll make $100k. Yeah that gross, and when you have to pay for everything, you wind up making $35k and working 16 hours a day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Jennifer W in Memphis, Tennessee said: FedEx does lay off people. I have worked for FedEx for 20 years and in the last 5 years I have seen several people laid off. What usually happens is an employee is displaced because either they are overstaffed or the department is no longer needed. The employee then has 90 days to find another position within the company and if after 90 days they do not find anything they are laid off. The problem is they usually cannot find another position because technology has eliminated a lot of jobs or they are qualified for the open positions. Its sad FedEx is not the company it used to be. The P-S-P (People, Service, Profit) rule they used to follow has reversed and they put their Profit before there employees. The people in the Hub are treated horribly most are wrote up if they are sick and call in. Working out in the weather you cannot help but be sick. And if you are in an office such as myself and are hourly, non-exempt its like you are not a part of the company to some degree. FedEx treats their exempt people wonderfully and the truth is most of the time they work less than any of the hourly people. At least this is true at the location I work at which is on Airways Blvd. Sorry, didn't mean to go on a tangent but as much as I love working for FedEx I hate the way they treat the really hard workers.

FedEx National LTL does not abide by the FedEx lay off policy that you cited

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

FedexSuxx in Staten Island, New York

76 months ago

FredaX, give it some time. You'll see that the company is a horror. Trust me on this. The people who are posting negative comments are not doing so for fun. They are simply being very honest. Again, you'll find this out for yourself. Give it a few months and then post back here with your feelings on all of this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

FredaX in Memphis, Tennessee said: I just started working for FEDEX and I disagree with some. There are some lazy ppl there. Everyone wants a check, but no one wants to work hard. I am speaking of a few ppl, not all. I agree that the managers do little to earn their salaries, but maybe the solution is to try to become one, instead of criticize. I think FEDX will be around for the long haul. Sure, they need to re-evaluate some departments and focus more on individuals, but all I was well informed of what my duties were and I carry them out and receive a check for it. Human resources is one of the key problems. There are many ppl at FEDEX who hold graduate degrees, but cannot move to another division because of their silly little rules-what a waste of talent-

I was employed for 17 years with the company FEDEX bought out, and I was neither lazy nor ineffective in my job. My reviews were always good. FEDEX "reorganized" and cut the jobs of many older, higher paid employees of the company bought to create FEDEX National LTL. I was not given a choice to transfer. This happened all over the U.S.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bboomer in Palmdale, California

70 months ago

dbsdey in Lakeland, Florida said: FedEx "IS" laying off workers. When they bought Watkins, employees were assured that lay offs would not be necessary. Less than a year later, FedEx starting cutting Watkins employees.

The Express side will never 'lay off' ,,, Contractors? Yes, most likely so...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs Nameless in Louisiana

70 months ago

bboomer in Palmdale, California said: The Express side will never 'lay off' ,,, Contractors? Yes, most likely so...

Never say never... besides there are other ways for Fedex to get rid of Fedex Express employees, because management has a lot of flexibility. So, to say that Fedex Express jobs are "untouchable" is naive. In general, people have to understand that there aren't any legacy jobs anymore (at least within the U.S.). As a result, people have to prepare themselves for a worst case scenario. Because you never know when your job may be on the chopping block. So, with respect to the person that lost life insurance coverage upon losing his/her job, life insurance is not an investment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

What's are some of these silly rules that prevent some people with grad degrees from moving around within the company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

FredaX in Memphis, Tennessee said: I just started working for FEDEX and I disagree with some. There are some lazy ppl there. Everyone wants a check, but no one wants to work hard. I am speaking of a few ppl, not all. I agree that the managers do little to earn their salaries, but maybe the solution is to try to become one, instead of criticize. I think FEDX will be around for the long haul. Sure, they need to re-evaluate some departments and focus more on individuals, but all I was well informed of what my duties were and I carry them out and receive a check for it. Human resources is one of the key problems. There are many ppl at FEDEX who hold graduate degrees, but cannot move to another division because of their silly little rules-what a waste of talent-

Oops, I placed the original question in the wrong location: I was asking what rules prevent some people with grad degrees from moving to other departments?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bboomer in Palmdale, California

69 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

Sure, Fedex Express will survive and no, they do not 'lay off'...
I am a 25 yr employee, turning 60 in a few weeks..Worked all 25 yrs as a courier..I survived, and never a layoff.
The contractor side? Yes, they do layoff...
Personally, I'd like a layoff if a slowdown persists..The senior employees should get the benefit of a fourty hour week.
The competition? We are the best, as far as overnight shipping is concerned...UPS will be top dawg in the ground business for some time. Fedex Ground is a great service , but UPS pays better and seems to me their work ethic is better than the Fedex Ground people...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

pops in cleveland, Ohio

69 months ago

Your right no layoffs just get displaced,looks good for fortune 500.Use to be a great place to work but not now.Just ask PT employees with two jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer W in Memphis, Tennessee

69 months ago

In the past few weeks we've had outsourcing companies come review our area, been put on very strict set hours, been assigned bathroom times, our hours were to 35 a week & more changes are coming. We have been told if it can be outsourced for less that they will be do it & we all know that they can. So, its just a matter of time now before we are out of jobs. We believe most will be out of jobs before the end of 2008. There are no other jobs to apply for since you can only apply within your op-co because if you apply for another one you have to apply as an outsider. This is stupid because I began with FedEx Express & then when they created my op-co, we had to sign a letter saying we no longer work for Express or they would consider it our resignation. We don't have the no layoff guarantee which really isn't a guarantee just a 90 day option to find another job. If we do not clock in on our set time then we get a letter in our file & after so many letters you are fired. I keep hoping I do not get caught by the train or run into a traffic jam because I do not want a letter in my file. The set bathroom time is so stupid, have you ever heard of making employees pee on demand? Again, I keep hoping, I don't have get diarrhea or nausea or even worse some female issues because I would have to wait till my time to go to the bathroom. This is one rule I do not understand at all its not as though I'm on the phone with customers. The 35 hours I can deal with because at least I keep my full time benefits. Nothing has changed for the exempt employees, they still get to do what they want and they're several who do not even earn their pay. They are the only ones the company cares for & they still get all their bonuses. How FedEx stays on the Top Companies to work for list, is beyond me. These magazines obivously never talk to the lowly hourly employees who are treated like crap. The hub employees stay in trouble for things that they have no control over. We need a union!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gene Brooks in Tampa, Florida

69 months ago

A friend of mine it trying to get me to work at fedex as a loader or something along those lines. He works part-time 20-25 hrs a week. I need full time to take care of my family. Is there a fast way to become full time? Or is this just a waste of time for me. Will I have to take a 4 hour test just to get hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gene Brooks in Tampa, Florida

69 months ago

It would be ground..I don't want part-time 20-25 hrs a week I can't live on. How hard is it to get more hrs? does it take alot of time to get Full time hrs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn21 in Birmingham, Alabama

69 months ago

Wow! I'm suprised at all the negative comments, rightly so I guess. I know I would be pretty pissed if any of the above happened to me, sounds like some of you are being bullied around.

But on to the topic of my post.

I feel I'm not being treated fairly at my current job and have turned to FedEx looking for a courrier position. I've been at the front desk of two locations close by where I live (one just being about a half a mile from where I live), for over 2 months now and have continuously told that they aren't hiring right this moment but may be interviewing in a couple weeks. I've heard that at least 3 times now and am getting rather frustrated.

So about two weeks ago I spent a few days writing up a resume and dropped one off at both locations, hoping to hear back from one of them soon. Still no call.

Am I being too persistant? I have no expeirience driving a large truck but at my current job I travel quite a bit, could I be a victim of inexperience with them not wanting anything to do with a greenhorn?

How does FedEx hire courriers? Is there testing involved? What requirements must you meet to be considered?

Please someone shed some light on these hiring questions. I've been misinformed several times between locations. First being told "You gotta have a B license", "You don't have to have any license, we train you", "There's a two-week out of town training program you have to take". And I could go on and on.

The main thing that sucks out of all of this to me is that the location closest too me, the several people I've talked with (front counter and over the phone) all seemed like @ssholes, or just seemed uninterested to hear my plea for a position at their, so-called "great" company to work for. The location about 15 minutes away were for the most part sweet as can be and helpful in my quest.

Is there anything else you all can recommend as far what I should do to get a job driving? Should I just standby and wait for the call?

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn21 in Birmingham, Alabama

69 months ago

Oh and btw, I'm looking for ground, full-time here in Birmingham.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rickyd4545 thompson in jackson, Mississippi

67 months ago

I recently was approached by a contractor for Fedex at Home and he asked which way I wanted to be paid? By production or by the day...what would be the best negotiation on pay when dealing with a contractor for fedex? Can you negotiate benefits and sick leave? Also how strick are they on your MVR record from the DMV?

laur0812 in Pompano Beach, Florida

63 months ago

fedex is not the company everyone thinks. they try to brainwash you into thinking you are lucky to work for the company. they do not have a union because they will never layoff employees. well i can tell you that they that they do worse....they will make sure your reviews are low so you do not get your raises (only cost of living}. customer service is the worst of all... when i started there customer service meant something. now if your talk time is over the 2 minutes they allow you, it goes against you. i have seen new employees hang up on customers so they can make their time line over and over. and guess who ends up getting that irate customer after that. oh it gets better. all the good managers left 6 years ago when they offered an early retirement package. now the managers they have could care less about the employees under them, i lost my mother and my manager never acknowledged me when i came back. not even a i'm sorry for your loss. thats how much they care. so all in all their approach to layoffs is fire you, or make your life miserable so you will resign. i'm just glad i had enough time to take early retirement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gogators in Round Rock, Texas

63 months ago

laur0812 in Pompano Beach, Florida said: fedex is not the company everyone thinks. they try to brainwash you into thinking you are lucky to work for the company. they do not have a union because they will never layoff employees. well i can tell you that they that they do worse....they will make sure your reviews are low so you do not get your raises (only cost of living}. customer service is the worst of all... when i started there customer service meant something. now if your talk time is over the 2 minutes they allow you, it goes against you. i have seen new employees hang up on customers so they can make their time line over and over. and guess who ends up getting that irate customer after that. oh it gets better. all the good managers left 6 years ago when they offered an early retirement package. now the managers they have could care less about the employees under them, i lost my mother and my manager never acknowledged me when i came back. not even a i'm sorry for your loss. thats how much they care. so all in all their approach to layoffs is fire you, or make your life miserable so you will resign. i'm just glad i had enough time to take early retirement.

aman, you nailed it to the tee.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kim bolanos in Las Cruces, New Mexico

63 months ago

What an interesting forum. I'm a 19 year FedEx Express courier, previously 11 years with UPS, 30 years in this business (and I still love it).

FedEx's position is that lay offs are the LAST resort. This approach isn't a 'law', it's simply an operating preference. In 19 years I've NEVER seen a single employee laid off even in the worst financial times. No, this may not be the case with FedEx's subsidiaries, such as Freight and Ground. The 'contractor' status of the subsidiary branch employees gives FedEx the flexibility to survive changing business environments. Flexibility is the key to survival for all of us - whether an individual, family, community, or company. Without it, we can easily perish. Looking at the 'Big Picture', lay offs = business survival. On the individual level, it can be devastating. Nobody's guaranteed a job for life. If you think this is 'unfair', ditch your sense of entitlement, or you'll not likely succeed in life.

I hope the Board of Directors at FedEx makes the prudent, albeit painful, decisions necessary to ensure the survival of the company. The continued employment of MANY people in MANY work positions is paramount in comparison to the loss of a smaller group of laid off employees. If eliminating 900 positions saves 100,000 jobs, I sincerely hope FedEx makes the right decisions to save the 100,000 jobs remaining. And yes, I've been laid off years ago from a steelworkering job in Missouri. I was a single mother with no child support or savings (I was an idiot) and my lay off was devastating. So please don't think I have no understanding of the impact of a job loss. I do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Mark in Staten Island, New York said: I can tell you that the turnover rate is increasing at Fedex. They are not meeting the needs of the employees. It has turned for the worse over the past 5 years or so. Obviously, I do not see this as a positive thing for the company. Yes, I am an employee too.

The turnover rate varies depending on location. In my 19 years as a FedEx Express courier I've worked in 5 FedEx locations from the East Coast to the West Coast. In all of these places, turnover was quite low. Turnover results from people quitting, getting fired (rarely seen in my experience), but FedEx has another unique turnover factor - turnover at FedEx includes transferring to open jobs in other FedEx locations. FedEx has an open jobs posting policy, and any current employees can view and apply for them if they meet the qualifications (time in service, time in position, acceptable review score, no warning letters on file, etc.). This open jobs posting policy is how I've been able to work in 5 different FedEx locations.

So my question to Mark in Staten Island is what are the reasons for the increased turnover rate that you see? Are they quitting, getting fired, transferring? Combination of all of these? Just disgruntled? Unhappy? Management techniques differ from location to location, and yes, I've had 2 truly poor managers in 19 years. Is this a case of truly bad management in your location? If so, have you tried enacting FedEx's 'Skip Level' policy, where you, or a group of employees, go directly over the head of the manager who is causing morale problems, directly to his/her boss? Did you know your workgroup can do this? If this is the case, I urge you to call for a Skip Level meeting. Immediately. If poor management is not the case, what is the primary cause? Can your workgroup help fix this problem? Have you asked management if your workgroup can meet to address this situation? Turnover hurts everyone. What can YOU do to help? Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Steven in Southfield, Michigan said: The turnover rate is increasing because Fedex has gotten away from its slogan "The World On Time" all they care about is how much 1 person can leave the station with (over loading to capacity) not caring if the courier is on time or not.

This is a common complaint that is increasing among couriers. To a degree, I agree with it. I worked for UPS for 11 years, my last year working with their engineering dept, doing timestudies on UPS drivers. The corporate atmosphere at most companies is TIME=MONEY. If a business does NOT adopt strong production policies, they'll be trampled by their competitors who do.

However, there's a fine line that should not be crossed. I am not a repetitive-motion machine. Many factors affect my production on a given day. Some can be quantified and controlled, some cannot. When management does not, or cannot, explain that goals are fairly set for an individual, and PROVE that fairness when questioned, employees no longer care about, or try to meet, their 'goals'. A production-oriented company cannot fully succeed without the best efforts of each and every employee.

I sometimes do not agree with the production 'goals' that are set, and often think management doesn't respond adequately to that disagreement. Where's the beef? Show me why this production goal is fair and I'll respond, otherwise, I'll do the best I can, but fail to meet 'goal' anyway. Oh well. Perhaps FedEx is striving too much to be like UPS in this race to meet production goals. I hope not. I really hope not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

laur0812 in Pompano Beach, Florida wrote "all the good managers left 6 years ago when they offered an early retirement package. now the managers they have could care less about the employees under them, i lost my mother and my manager never acknowledged me when i came back. not even a i'm sorry for your loss. thats how much they care".

Gal, I'm sorry for your loss, and your manager's insensitivity. I had a similar experience in 1995, and in May of this year, but my experience was far different.

In 1995 my father lived in Virginia, I lived and worked for FedEx Express as a courier in Oregon, and Dad got terminal cancer. Over the next 6 months, FedEx did many wonderful things for me, allowing me to stay the course with my father in Virginia, until he died. I cannot tell you the appreciation that I had for what my company did to help me. Funny thing was, when I came back to work, the other employees were the ones who mostly failed to acknowledge my loss. Go figure. Many people just do NOT know what to say to someone who has lost a loved one. It isn't malicious, it's just discomfort.

In May of 2008, my 81 year old mother had a stroke. Again, under different management, FedEx extended a big helping hand to allow me to arrange for her move and care. They didn't have to extend themselves to the degree they did each time to help me help my parents, but they did. Policy didn't say they had to do many of the things that they did for me. But they did it anyway.

After 19 years at FedEx, and 11 years at UPS, I've come to this conclusion: crap flows downhill, and generally, if you have direct management at your job that is not of good quality, it's because the management level above yours is not of good quality - thus, crap is flowing downhill and hitting you. We lead by example, whether in the workplace or at home. The good news is... the flow can stop. Bad management practices eventually come to light, and change happens. Just duck and cover until that time comes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Shawn21 in Birmingham, Alabama 5 months ago asked about FedEx's hiring practices, so here's some info:Different regions seem to do their hiring differently. Where I work (NM) FedEx Express hires only through the local unemployment offices. They post their jobs there when hiring, applicants follow the hiring process at the unemployment office. I know that Monster.com used to have FedEx Ground jobs posted all over the country on their website, even management positions. Don't know if that's still true. So try Monster.com and your local unemployment office - ask the unemployment office if FedEx jobs get posted with them, and if so, how it works.

All the different brances of FedEx companies are not the same in most respects (ex: Express, Ground, Freight, LTL, etc). All are owned by FedEx, but operate separately. They'll have differing standards for applicant requirements.

In general, to be a courier you must be 21, have a good driving record (doesn't have to be 100% perfect, but close, and depends on what KIND of violations you have), pass a drug screen, do some testing. The test threshold is NOT high, and shouldn't scare you at all. Some courier applicant qualifications depend on exactly WHAT KIND of courier position the company is hiring for. Some couriers must have a Class C commercial drivers license with Hazardous Materials endorsement, some not. So answers about qualifications needed depends on the job position you're applying for.

FedEx Express does send new hires to a 2 week training course, expenses paid if far away location. FedEx paid to fly me to my 2 week training 19 years ago, paid for the hotel, meals, etc. The training is not especially difficult. Just don't try to put the liquor you drink on your expense account records - that's a no-no.

Good luck, be persistent, try to meet the manager(s) at the location you'd like if at all possible. The front desk 'guard dogs' might not be real responsive to this. Smile, be politely pushy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa LAX in San Diego, California

63 months ago

Workers, clergy and community leaders in Los Angeles told FedEx CEO Fred Smith that dwindling benefits, higher out-of-pocket medical costs, the loss of pensions and 401(k) compensation has put FedEx workers on the verge of slipping from the middle class.

Clergy and community members were joined by workers at Town Hall Los Angeles on Feb. 10, where Smith was the guest speaker. Smith spoke about the view from “Commerce Street.” The workers, clergy and community members spoke of the view from “Main Street.”

The view is not pretty, with many of the workers struggling to make ends meet. FedEx enjoys revenues surpassing $36 billion annually with operating profits estimated to be $2.9 billion. In contrast to FedEx’s good public reputation, the corporation has a history of manipulating regulations, exploiting weak labor laws and undermining workers’ freedom of association.

In 1996, Smith used his company’s influence with the U.S. Senate to exempt Federal Express from the labor laws that govern “like companies”. By effectively obtaining a “special deal” for Federal Express from lawmakers, the workforces’ fundamental right
to association was summarily limited. The “special legislation” puts the workers at FedEx under the jurisdiction of the Railway Labor Act. Under this law, workers are allowed to organize only in national units, instead of locally. This has made the formation of a union at FedEx more difficult. The workers have been trying to form a union with the Teamsters.

During the Town Hall’s question and answer period, Rev. Margaret McCauley of Holy Nativity Episcopal Church told Smith she was concerned about the well being of workers whose wages and benefits were being cut.

“My question is, if you are truly committed to building the middle class in Los Angeles, then why have you taken away pensions and diminished benefits from FedEx employees, which threaten to remove them from the middle class?” McCauley asked.

Alicia Wilson, a student and an

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I guess it depends on what you read - exerpts from an article at (www.ble.org/pr/news/headline.asp?id=19165)so I guess it depends on what you read.

FedEx CEO defends Railway Labor Act jurisdiction
(The following story by Bartholomew Sullivan appeared on the Memphis Commercial Appeal website on July 20.)

(Friday 07/20/2007) WASHINGTON, D.C. — FedEx CEO and founder Frederick W. Smith, testifying before a Senate subcommittee Thursday, said removing FedEx Express drivers from the jurisdiction of the Railway Labor Act, as proposed in a House bill, would be bad public policy.

"We object very much for the insertion of language that affects only one company, and that's FedEx Express," Smith said. "FedEx Express has been under the Railway Labor Act since its inception when I formed the company in 1971."

The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee last month passed an amendment to an air traffic control bill that takes the FedEx Express operation from the jurisdiction of the Railway Labor Act, which regulates collective bargaining for air and rail workers on a nationwide basis.

Smith gave a short history of the Railway Labor Act before pointing to a 1992 ruling by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals that, Smith said, "is just crystal clear ... that FedEx Express pickup and delivery operations are an integral part of its air operation."

Smith said he objected the insertion of language that affects only his company and particularly that the House committee approved it without a public hearing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Lisa at LAX posted an interesting article above. Should FedEx unionize? FedEx already has union pilots, but I've never heard of any other employee group that is unionized at this point. The first thing that comes to mind is the sheer boondoggle this would represent, in organizing the unions, given FedEx's MANY different branches, all of which are owned by FedEx Corporation, but all of which operate independently of one another (and I'm sure this would mean many different branches of unions would result - all employees wouldn't necessarily be Teamsters only).

FedEx.com lists the branches as follows: Today's FedEx is led by FedEx Corporation, which provides strategic direction and consolidated financial reporting for the operating companies that compete collectively under the FedEx name worldwide: FedEx Express, FedEx Ground, FedEx Freight, FedEx Office, FedEx Custom Critical, FedEx Trade Networks and FedEx Services.

I worked for UPS for 11 years. The union environment resulted in an Us/Them attitude between management and union members. It was a poisonous environment, to say the least. Many former UPS employees work for FedEx (and vice-versa), and in my experience talking with them, they hands-down do NOT want a union at FedEx (neither do I). I'm sure there are some former UPS-now-FedEx employees who do want a union, but I've yet to meet one.

Lisa LAX article above states 'The workers have been trying to form a union with the Teamsters'. Depends where you work. None of the 5 FedEx stations I worked at wanted a union - only a very small % of the workforce expressed a desire to unionize. Beware what you wish for. Personally, I hope it never happens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jims2321 in Orlando, Florida

62 months ago

As a FedEx Services employee in Central Florida, I can honestly say that in my 12 years with FedEx Express and then after 2000 with Services, that the corporate culture has shifted way from a people centric approach to profit one.

Fred has become bitter as the company has grown. His service to FedEx is commenable, but he should retire before he drives the company into the ground. His acquistion of Kinko's is probably the biggest reason that FedEx does not have the monetary reserves to weather this economic slowdown, without cutting between 10 to 20% of the company employees.

We have been notified that in addition to staffing cuts, contributions to the PPA will also be terminated, with no date of resumption. Essentially they are talking about cutting pension contributions too.

Which leaves us with a self funding 401K plan. I am glad that I get medical insurance thru my wife's company, because I bet they will jack up employee contribution to 50% in the near future.

What really scares me, is that when the job market turns around, the brain drain that will happen at FedEx will severely impact FedEx staying ahead of UPS in the delivery market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

j hoffa in Westland, Michigan

61 months ago

wake up fedex i would try to be union as fast as i can cause the way i see it . i would get rid of all the air and 2nd day air and savers and give them to the ground guys cause you cant do anything about it, cause you!! thats right you!! have no voice. do you? of course not . so much profit in giving them your air buisness. plus i would bring outside contracting agency and fire, not all but mostmanagers cause they dont have a voice eithier. but the pilots are strong,smart.organize..like nba nfl,nhl,mlb police firemen,pilots,ups drivers nurses,teachers,get my drift dont unionize your be sorry ha ha ha ha.important people have a voice....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jims2321 in Orlando, Florida

61 months ago

most likely you will lose your job, but you can still vote for who you choose.

61 months ago

at least thiers a word called senority at ups

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

well ya low man gets the boot dedication means something, you get what you put in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

j hoffa in Westland, Michigan said: well ya low man gets the boot dedication means something, you get what you put in.

In all the years I've worked for FedEx, seniority DOES prevail. FedEx doesn't call it seniority, they call it 'time in service'. And yes, they honor that completely. If there's overtime available, the 'senior' people get 1st shot at it. If senior people don't want it, they go in reverse-seniority order, and the lowest man on the totem pole has to work it. This is as it should be.

In every aspect of the company that I've seen, seniority rules (no matter what the company chooses to call it).

There's no reason to unionize at FedEx. None. We have many protections in place already, and they work relatively well. I'd personally anti-union campaign in response to anybody coming to my FedEx station to attempt to unionize it. I'd tell of the things I personally saw the union do when I worked in a union environment. I'd tell of the families that lost their houses and cars when the Teamsters forced them to strike, even when THE MEMBERS VOTED AGAINST STRIKING. The pitiful little amount of strike pay didn't buy their groceries.

I may have some complaints about my company, but none would remotely warrant unionization.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

pack your bags it will fold big brown is to strong...

61 months ago

kim bolanos in Las Cruces, New Mexico said: In all the years I've worked for FedEx, seniority DOES prevail. FedEx doesn't call it seniority, they call it 'time in service'. And yes, they honor that completely. If there's overtime available, the 'senior' people get 1st shot at it. If senior people don't want it, they go in reverse-seniority order, and the lowest man on the totem pole has to work it. This is as it should be.

In every aspect of the company that I've seen, seniority rules (no matter what the company chooses to call it).

There's no reason to unionize at FedEx. None. We have many protections in place already, and they work relatively well. I'd personally anti-union campaign in response to anybody coming to my FedEx station to attempt to unionize it. I'd tell of the things I personally saw the union do when I worked in a union environment. I'd tell of the families that lost their houses and cars when the Teamsters forced them to strike, even when THE MEMBERS VOTED AGAINST STRIKING. The pitiful little amount of strike pay didn't buy their groceries.

I may have some complaints about my company, but none would remotely warrant unionization.

well we and managment, get way more compensated than you cause we are union. thank you union.

61 months ago

Everybody is different. Some people think their paycheck is the most, or only, important thing. Some people think the atmosphere and treatment in their workplace is just as, or more important, than the paycheck. During the time I worked for UPS, before cell phones, they would NOT call a male driver on his route when his wife called the office, saying she was in labor (their first baby). The managers were upset when another driver wanted extra funeral leave/time off, after finding his father, who had suicided, hanging from a basement rafter. He was given 5 days, and told to return to work or get fired. I have many examples like this.

When my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 1995, FedEx willingly gave me my 90 days of FMLA, so I could move across country and take care of him in his home until his death. When the 90 days were up, they called me. I told them bluntly that my father hadn't died yet, that I only had 1 father, and that I could find another job if necessary, if they had to terminate me. They called me back the next day, gave me 90 more days.

When I returned to work, I had my same job, same pay, even my very same route, which was highly sought-after. They helped me however they could, no complaints, and I never even asked them for any of those things. I have many examples like this. So, a paycheck isn't everything. Actually, the UPS payrate doesn't even tempt me. They rarely treat their people in brown well at all. I'm happy at my job, 99% of the time. I was rarely happy at UPS. Money isn't the most important thing for many people. I have purple blood, and loyalty to my company, because of the way they've treated me for almost 20 years, and they way they've treated many other employees. Yes, there may be bad examples of poor treatment, but I've seen 30 good examples for every 1 bad. I'll take that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Hoffa - interesting moniker. I am very familiar with the Family Leave Act. I used it when my father was terminally ill, and FedEx very kindly doubled the maximum allowable time of 90 days. I also used it when I had surgery, many years ago. I've even suggested to others that FMLA would apply to their specific, personal, situation.

Now, you know what they say about 'assume', and you did assume quite a bit when you insinuated I'm too stupid to know about FMLA. So, I'll clarify for you why I wasn't eligible for FMLA when my mother had a stroke. I'm a 20 year FedEx employee, but I chose to downgrade to part time status a few years ago, in order to return to college. I'm VERY part time, and by choice, work as few hours as possible. When the HR dept checked to see if I was qualified for FMLA, they discovered I'd worked too few hours in the previous year to qualify. So there you have it.

Now, I'm not one to insult others, especially when it's rather cowardly to do so in an anonymous fashion, such as on the web. The web tends to make some people behave badly. For example, I'd noticed previously your poor command of the English language. However, I chose to ignore it. Because, in general, I'm nice. I play well with others. Life is much more enjoyable that way. You appear to be a very angry person. You should think about working on that :)

And I'd still never vote to unionize.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

sorry not good at spelling, just a very hard worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

if fedex was such a good company to work for then what are they afraid of. the workers will vote no. right ???? nothing to be afraid of and no!! the teamsters wont have a gun to your head to vote a certain way . so what are you afraid of??????????? a voice maybe???????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Jimmy - many people are hard workers. I'm sure you're one of them. In my experience, there isn't much difference in how hard someone works based on their being union or non-union.

Shouldn't voting, of any kind, be a private affair? Personally, I think employees should have the right to vote privately, yea or nay, on unionizing. To do otherwise is simply unAmerican. If I were to campaign against a union, I would do my best to state the many reasons a union won't benefit FedEx employees. Let each individual cast his or her vote without fear of reprisals, and let the chips fall where they may.

Another subject along these lines: In these hard economic times, are workers going to lose ground in the workplace? This was one of the first thoughts that crossed my mind when the mass layoffs/taxpayer bailouts began. Will this set the clock back on many of the benefits workers earned? Will corporate America take unfair advantage of millions of ordinary workers, crying 'poor bottom line' as an excuse to gut employee benefits of many types? Obama seems to be a President of the ordinary people. I feel some comfort in thinking he'll block that kind of corporate attempt.

Are unions the answer? No. Unions are simply the opposite of the corporations - the corporations don't want to give anything, the unions want to be given everything. Workers have to make a living, but business has to make a profit. Can't tell you how many times I've heard employees from all walks of life say something like this, "Darn company makes tons of money. I should get my share of that money. They should split that profit out to the employees". Like a business making a profit is a bad thing lol. It's a bit of an oxymoron - employees better hope the company they're working for makes money, otherwise, they'll be out of a job.

61 months ago

j hoffa in Westland, Michigan said: if fedex was such a good company to work for then what are they afraid of. the workers will vote no. right ???? nothing to be afraid of and no!! the teamsters wont have a gun to your head to vote a certain way . so what are you afraid of??????????? a voice maybe???????????

Funny enough, I have a voice at my job, with my company, and with my manager(s). I've used it with great frequency (which I know they'd easily verify), with mostly positive results. No, I don't get everything I want, but then again, I don't expect to. I pick my battles, and FedEx has seen my point of view in many of them. In my experience, FedEx is very good at balancing company needs with employee needs.

I don't need anyone else to speak for me. I speak for myself very well. If I can give legitimate reasons for whatever I'm aking for or about, my company does a pretty good job of listening.

I know there are people out there who won't agree with that, but I cannot speak for their experience. I can only speak for my own 19+ years of experience in 5 different FedEx locations. I've seen many people fired for a variety of reasons. Some protested their firing via the GFT process (Guaranteed Fair Treatment policy). GFT means your 'case' goes before a group of peers (not managers). This group reviews the facts. The fired employee has a voice in presenting his/her side of the situation. The group decides if the employee should be terminated, or reinstated. I've seen people who were fired get their jobs back. I've seen some of them lose their GFT hearing. In my experience, all of those who remained fired, should have been fired. I've seen an employee be reinstated who really should not have been. So it works both ways.

With the GFT process, I have a voice. I don't need a union making deals behind my back. I've seen union/management do this. It stinks. Let my peers, who do my exact job everyday, judge me. It works well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.