What's the company culture at FedEx?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (49)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at FedEx?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at FedEx?

Reply - Report abuse

MV in Morgantown, West Virginia

91 months ago

What operating company are you interested in?
Express
Freight
Ground/ Home Delivery
Kinkos
Services

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Memphis, Tennessee

90 months ago

I'm interested in the Services group

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Staten Island, New York

90 months ago

Host said:

As a courier for Fedex, here is a typical day: You have to deliver or pick up pkgs in a given amount of time. If you have lates, you are hung upsidedown and stoned!!! I hate working for them. That's why I'm leaving in a month :O)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

jerry in Ludlow, Vermont

89 months ago

Mark in Staten Island, New York said: As a courier for Fedex, here is a typical day: You have to deliver or pick up pkgs in a given amount of time. If you have lates, you are hung upsidedown and stoned!!! I hate working for them. That's why I'm leaving in a month :O)

i just went through the four hour information day. would you reccomend a courier position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Staten Island, New York

89 months ago

No. I would highly recommend working elsewhere. trust me on this.
The turnover rate is on the rise.
This is due to the constant changes within the company to put the customers and big cats on top first....without any consideration what so ever for the true workhorse of the company : the courier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

looking at FedEx in Orlando, Florida

89 months ago

Any comments on this position within the corporate office Program Manager, Strategic Program Office regarding pay, work enviornment, etc?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rick Slick in Pompano Beach, Florida

88 months ago

I worked for them several years ago and they wanted 13 stops per hour for deliveries. Realize this is a a delivery every 5-6 minutes. Get caught in traffic or try to find a hard address and you are screwed. This will earn you a trip to the managers office to explain why you are so slow..........
Why think of a delivery job a a career. If you get laid off what the hell kind of skills do you have, you can drive a van and find addresses. Some skill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Michigan in Detroit, Michigan

88 months ago

Mark in Staten Island, New York said: As a courier for Fedex, here is a typical day: You have to deliver or pick up pkgs in a given amount of time. If you have lates, you are hung upsidedown and stoned!!! I hate working for them. That's why I'm leaving in a month :O)

Make sure you have a good job lined up when you leave. I was terminated for prescanning my packages before 10:30 am because I was over my route capacity (even though the manager knew I was and told me to "do what you have to do" ) and now I'm out a job . not good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Michigan in Detroit, Michigan

88 months ago

Rick Slick in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I worked for them several years ago and they wanted 13 stops per hour for deliveries. Realize this is a a delivery every 5-6 minutes. Get caught in traffic or try to find a hard address and you are screwed. This will earn you a trip to the managers office to explain why you are so slow..........
Why think of a delivery job a a career. If you get laid off what the hell kind of skills do you have, you can drive a van and find addresses. Some skill.

I know what your saying. They would on a typical day close down the part time routes and shove the packages on the full time routes . Instead of having 25 priority overnite stops I would end up with 32 and still be expected to be on time and its not getting better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

notachance in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

86 months ago

I would never work for this company. I have never heard one good thing said about working for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Detroit, Michigan

86 months ago

And you never will except from someone who dont know what its like to have good pay and benefits. If you can get into Fedex Express you have decent pay and benefits if you can put up with the crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Craig in Laurel, Iowa

86 months ago

Mark in Detroit, Michigan said: And you never will except from someone who dont know what its like to have good pay and benefits. If you can get into Fedex Express you have decent pay and benefits if you can put up with the crap.

Has anyone in the Des Moines Area heard of Spee Dee Delivery.....If so what are they like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

U.E. in Flint, Michigan

86 months ago

Steven in Michigan in Detroit, Michigan said: I know what your saying. They would on a typical day close down the part time routes and shove the packages on the full time routes . Instead of having 25 priority overnite stops I would end up with 32 and still be expected to be on time and its not getting better.

This & other "bigs" are a cancer infecting this country. If the gov't. won't stand up for workers rights, your only hope is a union. Short of that, learn a trade like plumbing, and work for yourself, or a small outfit.When the bigs layoff to the bare bones, let them try to sell their overpriced crap to the third-worlders( no Americans will be left to buy it )!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Fort Worth, Texas

86 months ago

Fedex is nice company but Fedex Kinkos is worse place to work for. This positon is hiring at Fedex Kinkos. They have 70% turn over at Fedex kinko in Plano, Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A_Rise in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Currently being recruited for a FedEx Kinko's Field Account Representative position in Bedford, NH. Does anyone know what the base salary range is? How is the sales environment for document management and print services?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

David in Detroit, Michigan

85 months ago

The Fedex culture is not a good one . All you have to do is look at all the negative responses and they far outway the good. Fedex like so many other big companys do not care about its employees only about how much money can be made on overworked employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wade in Augusta, Georgia

85 months ago

Steven in Michigan in Detroit, Michigan said: Make sure you have a good job lined up when you leave. I was terminated for prescanning my packages before 10:30 am because I was over my route capacity (even though the manager knew I was and told me to "do what you have to do" ) and now I'm out a job . not good.

you could have taken the lates, if you are over your number then take the lates thats not your fault. any thing you do over your number you are doing them a favor you are ok as long as you hit your number. thats what my manager allways told me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

wade in Augusta, Georgia

85 months ago

i have gone out with way over my number. when that hapens I put my self on the help list and cover my self. even if you are under or on your number but something hapens just cover yourself by going on the help list if it is legit they wont hang you but if your stoping of to get a cup of coffee during your route and you have lates well whos fault is that? further more the company is all about production its a numbers game and inorder to keep your job you must know how to play the game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Detroit, Michigan

85 months ago

It shouldn't have to be a game to do your job. We didn't have a help list at the Fedex Express station I worked at. If you was over well that was just to bad for you. They would close down the part time routes and shove all their work on the full time employees and didn't care because that made them look good. If you have a help list all I can say is "good for you". Its not a big suprise that their is more negative comments about alot of these company than positive and its not because the employees are dead beats or losers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Detroit, Michigan

85 months ago

wade in Augusta, Georgia said: you could have taken the lates, if you are over your number then take the lates thats not your fault. any thing you do over your number you are doing them a favor you are ok as long as you hit your number. thats what my manager allways told me

I wish I would have had a manager that had my best interest at heart instead of making a name for themself and yes I could beat myself up for not taking the lates but when you have a manager you trust and they tell you to "just do what you have to do " its not a good thing. I was always in the top couriers and always got a raise before any of this happened and yes I brought my concerns to my manager who looked the other way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Will never work for them ever!!! in Silver Spring, Maryland

84 months ago

notachance in Rio Rancho, New Mexico said: I would never work for this company. I have never heard one good thing said about working for them.

I used to work for them and your never going to hear anything good about them! They will get raid of you so fast it is not even funny!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Will never work for them ever!!! in Silver Spring, Maryland

84 months ago

And they don't care how hard you work or how long you been working there. I seen alot of people get gone and most of them had 8 yrs or more invested they just don't CARE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FedexSuxx in BornInBrooklyn, New York

81 months ago

Don't be a fool; don't work for Fredex. It will be the worst move of your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pat mcc in Ripon, California

76 months ago

There will always be complainers in life, these people are lifes losers. Sometimes its hard to separate fact from fiction so here is something FACTUAL to base how well FedEx is: Fortune 100 best companies to work for 97 FedEx What makes it so great?
Firm continues a no-layoff philosophy, offers health insurance to retirees and part-timers, and promotes from within (90% of FedEx Express managers worked their way up).
That is straight from Fortunes website here is the link money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2008/snapshots/97.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

JJackson in Denver, Colorado

74 months ago

I currently work there, and if it wasn't for their impressive benefits package and decent pay, I would have left after two weeks. I work as a courier, and the work itself is unpredictable--b/c you never know how much your regular customers will be shipping--and grueling--b/c working out in the hot sun stinks.

I work at a station with around 180 employees. I work the PM shift, meaning I pick up packages from around 3pm-6pm. Before leaving the station to pick up packages, you have to find a truck, find a dolly, make sure the dolly and truck are operable (vehicle inspection report), and then get your equipment--power pad + printer + international envelope -- from a gate keeper. At my station, the gate keeper is immature and power hungry. If you don't kiss his $$$, you don't get your time card or equipment on time. And it's not that he "deliberately" does this. . .sometimes he just gets "distracted" and "forgets."

All of this is time consuming and annoying, b/c you feel like an idiotic chicken running around with your head cut off while trying to gather supplies and find a stupid truck.

FedEx--a billion dollar company--has not implemented a system for truck sharing, or truck organization whatsoever. And I can say it is overwhelmingly frustrating--so much so that I cannot recommend my job to anybody. (Hence, that is why I'm currently looking for gainful employment elsewhere).

The managers are constantly busy--too busy to answer questions you may have as a newbie. The old people have some sort of secret fraternity, where everyone feels the need to coddle you and treat you condescendingly b/c you haven't chosen to spend your entire life working at FedEx.
The ONLY reason why FedEx is ranked in the top 100 companies to work for in Forbes, is b/c of benefits + pay. But the work itself, the management, the coworkers, if they all received a separate rating, FedEx wouldn't be in the top 1,000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JJackson in Denver, Colorado

74 months ago

Out of curiosity, what makes Forbes so authoritative in their listings?

How exactly did Forbes conduct the study? Who did they ask? Were employees interviewed? Was it management? A combination? How did they decide which employees to interview? Did management nominate employees for interviewing? Were the results confidential? Did management know which employees were interviewed?

If you can find me answers to these questions, I'll think more highly of Forbes top 100.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

bboomer in Palmdale, California

74 months ago

Rick Slick in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I worked for them several years ago and they wanted 13 stops per hour for deliveries. Realize this is a a delivery every 5-6 minutes. Get caught in traffic or try to find a hard address and you are screwed. This will earn you a trip to the managers office to explain why you are so slow..........

Wow! Are you a malcontent? Don't believe this guy.. If you can't cut it as a Fedex Express Courier, you would not be able to handle any other difficult position.
Sure, you don't need fabulous skills for the position, but I am sure those who are employed as couriers could handle other employment with class....
There are some of us who haved worked other jobs, with skills, but remained at Express because we actually 'like' the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

j hoffa in Westland, Michigan

65 months ago

go to ups instead they bust your ass as a driver but boy you will get compensated for it there whole pkg is way way better and they are union for example i get free prescripts no co pay or nothing plus next year 30 bones an hour. way better company but fedex gets all the smotching but i take ups anyday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john doe in Port Orange, Florida

65 months ago

r u talking bout express, groun?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

val in Memphis, Tennessee

57 months ago

notachance in Rio Rancho, New Mexico said: I would never work for this company. I have never heard one good thing said about working for them.

Well john I am a girl and worked there while going to school and yes I did bust my ass in the heat. But besides the working I actually had above market pay, full benefits, college tuition reimbursement, a 1500 dollar retention bonus and did i mention I was part time 3 days a week. Oh and almost forgot I got to jumpseat (that means fly for free) on a fedex plane. So don't believe everything you hear especially when a guy is complaining about driving that is not manual labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Barhouma in Saint Petersburg, Florida

40 months ago

here is good one for you, then you judge. I get fired after 23 years serivce with Fedup, and the reason was I did work 10 minutes after I punshed out (in my own time)Fedex managment sucks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

BlueCollarPoet in Tigard, Oregon

30 months ago

Barhouma in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: here is good one for you, then you judge. I get fired after 23 years serivce with Fedup, and the reason was I did work 10 minutes after I punshed out (in my own time)Fedex managment sucks

Everyone knows you should NEVER work off the clock. I'm sorry, but it's true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

j hoffa in Westland, Michigan

26 months ago

Jimmy Hoffa back . How is FedEx .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Carol Smith731 in portland, Maine

23 months ago

I think FedEx is a horrible company to work for. They only care about their profit margins and thats the bottom line. They consistently keep their stores under staffed so they don't have to pay as much. If you work in the evenings better be prepared to stay late. You can plan on being stuck there till everything is done for the morning. You also should be prepared to say Yes We Can to anything a customer might want even if you know it is not humanly possible and you don't have the equipment to do it. They also try to put so much pressure on you that you will be incredibly scared to use little if any sick time. This leads to often going to work sick and spreading sickness to customers.
They also are on a kick of hiring less educated people so they can start them off at lower wages. I think this is very exploitive and cruel. Anyway, I hope this helps some people out there. If anyone had a good experience working with FedEx than good for you! Maybe the company is different in other places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

bboomer in Palmdale, California

23 months ago

Carol Smith731 in portland, Maine said: I think FedEx is a horrible company to work for. They only care about their profit margins and thats the bottom line. They consistently keep their stores under staffed so they don't have to pay as much. If you work in the evenings better be prepared to stay late. You can plan on being stuck there till everything is done for the morning. You also should be prepared to say Yes We Can to anything a customer might want even if you know it is not humanly possible and you don't have the equipment to do it. They also try to put so much pressure on you that you will be incredibly scared to use little if any sick time. This leads to often going to work sick and spreading sickness to customers.
They also are on a kick of hiring less educated people so they can start them off at lower wages. I think this is very exploitive and cruel. Anyway, I hope this helps some people out there. If anyone had a good experience working with FedEx than good for you! Maybe the company is different in other places.

Carol, you are about 80 percent correct. I retired from Express, after 28 years, last July. Yes, lots of pressure, wages are subpar eg: UPS and USPS are paid higher hourly.
Senior mgrs? Eyh, fifty fifty on that one. Some were real pressure cookers, wanted their numbers high for self gratification. Ops mgrs always had to watch their back. Seniors can be backstabbers.
Yes, I also was afraid to use sick leave. Fedex always deplored any courier who called in sick. They say its a 'benefit', but they hate when you use them......and, they ding your review when you use a sick day...go figure.
And yes, Fedex loves to hire the minorities.... at the lowest pay scale, and a lifetime to make top pay. Fedex makes it very difficult for a family to make a living. I may add, minorities love Fedex , it's better than welfare.
There are no retiree perks. Retirees pay 3 times as much for medical insurance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Middletown, New York

23 months ago

Anytime you work for a publicly traded company on a stock exchange it's only about the INVESTOR.

You guys might complain but there are alot of worse jobs out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Joe Gagill in Middletown, New York said: Anytime you work for a publicly traded company on a stock exchange it's only about the INVESTOR.

You guys might complain but there are alot of worse jobs out there.

Have you worked for FedEx? It is the worst job I've ever had.
I don't think people know how bad it is there unless they were
or are an employee there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York

23 months ago

Carol Smith731 in portland, Maine said: Have you worked for FedEx? It is the worst job I've ever had.
I don't think people know how bad it is there unless they were
or are an employee there.

Again, anytime you work for a Fortune 500 company it usually stinks. It's about meeting Wall Sreet's expectations at end of year. Never ever work in Sales for one of these companies because then you really will know what I'm talking about.

If a company doesn't meet their Wall Street's numbers they stand to lose millions because people will not invest in them and as a result the stock will tank. They must meet their numbers at any cost. Sad, but greed is not look at as bad for these companies. Being greedy is how they survive.

Go ahead if you want and hit the "No' tab again but I speak the truth.

If your not in Sales for FedEx then there are worst jobs out there.

Understand now Carol in Portland, Maine?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

C'mon Carol click the "No" tab. I'm waiting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

23 months ago

I gave you a Yes. I worked for someone who once worked for FedEx and it was the typical greed mentality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

I need to clarify.

Alittle greed is good. It means your being aggressive, trying to make money in a tough business environment. Alittle Greed is good. Alittle Greed is good.

Your hairstylist or barber....a cash biz...trust me they don't claim everything.

It's when it goes beyond greed. I think the term is predatory capitalism. It's when it goes beyond greed and people get hurt, really hurt...lay-offs, playing with the books, insider trading, etc...that's where all these companies are at now. They have crossed the line and are not just towing it now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Really sorry about the comment posted earlier.
I recind it completely. Sorry about the confusion.
I guess I just was having a bad day. Hope everyone
is having a good day! FeDex is a wonderful company
to work for. Peace to all! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

FedexMartin in Jenison, Michigan

21 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at FedEx ?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

Full uniform (polo, navy pants, black shoes/boots)Go to work, punch in, get equipment(powerpad-printer-etc), pre-trip truck, sort meeting (no lates, safety, did I mention no lates!) Pull your trucks and up 2 others - boxes loading them into the trucks, leave building, get to area start morning dels (1030 comitt) then take lunch, start afternoon dels mixed with a few pickups, then leave area go back to station and call it a day! I love my job and the customer interaction. I am only discouraged by the pay and not enough incentives! Most of the brown drivers similar to my position are payed easily $5 to $10 dollars more an hour! Ouch!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FedexMartin in Jenison, Michigan

21 months ago

Fedex is a great company to invest in just wish they would invest more into their employess!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

21 months ago

JJackson in Denver, Colorado said: Out of curiosity, what makes Forbes so authoritative in their listings?

How exactly did Forbes conduct the study? Who did they ask? Were employees interviewed? Was it management? A combination? How did they decide which employees to interview? Did management nominate employees for interviewing? Were the results confidential? Did management know which employees were interviewed?

If you can find me answers to these questions, I'll think more highly of Forbes top 100.

EXACTLY!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

csi@187 in Greensboro, North Carolina

28 days ago

bboomer in Palmdale, California said: Carol, you are about 80 percent correct. I retired from Express, after 28 years, last July. Yes, lots of pressure, wages are subpar eg: UPS and USPS are paid higher hourly.
Senior mgrs? Eyh, fifty fifty on that one. Some were real pressure cookers, wanted their numbers high for self gratification. Ops mgrs always had to watch their back. Seniors can be backstabbers.
Yes, I also was afraid to use sick leave. Fedex always deplored any courier who called in sick. They say its a 'benefit', but they hate when you use them......and, they ding your review when you use a sick day...go figure.
And yes, Fedex loves to hire the minorities.... at the lowest pay scale, and a lifetime to make top pay. Fedex makes it very difficult for a family to make a living. I may add, minorities love Fedex , it's better than welfare.
There are no retiree perks. Retirees pay 3 times as much for medical insurance .[/QUOT

You are an ignorant fool, who is just probably mad that a "minority" could do your job better. Dummy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

csi@187 in Greensboro, North Carolina

28 days ago

bboomer in Palmdale, California said: Carol, you are about 80 percent correct. I retired from Express, after 28 years, last July. Yes, lots of pressure, wages are subpar eg: UPS and USPS are paid higher hourly.
There are no retiree perks. Retirees pay 3 times as much for medical insurance .[/QUOT

Mass. Wine Guy in Ipswich, Massachusetts

17 hours ago

Wow, this thread is scary. I was offered a PT permanent courier position. For me, the 3 to 8 shift is good. But now I'm not so sure about working there.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.